[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/x/ - Paranormal

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Yin and yang.png (63 KB, 800x800)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
im looking for introductory books that give simple and understandable explanations about Taoism and its principles, but im having a hard time finding books like that

could you recommend books that give simple and understandable explanations about Taoism?

im not looking for the original texts of Taoism, im only looking for books that offer simple and concise explanations about Taoism and its teachings
>>
>>38424333
The original texts aren't simple or concise enough for you?

The tao that can be told is not the true tao.

There you go, that's your book.
>>
>>38424420
it is, but i am looking for explanations and summaries that are more adapted to our times, books of our time that talk about what Taoism and its essence are
>>
>>38424867
so a gen-z translation. have you even read the Tao te Ching? it really doesn't get more concise. I've picked up other books written by self-proclaimed sages, it's always more convoluted.
>>
What form? Philosophical/metaphysical Daoism? Folk and religious Daoism? Internal alchemy?
Daoism really does not neatly fit into a single category even less than other eastern religions.
>>
>>38424874
>so a gen-z translation

not only gen z but books of our time whether from this century or the last century

i just want to read the interpretations of Taoism that other authors have presented
>>
>>38424884
>What form? Philosophical/metaphysical Daoism? Folk and religious Daoism? Internal alchemy?

everything, but if the book focuses on the philosophical interpretations of Taoism, much better for me
>>
>>38424906
Ignore the shitty liberal name and start with this video, she does know what she's talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad54Mpm5UX0

Then Daodejing ofc, that is basically the only requirement here. You could fit the Dao of Pooh into their before if you want a fun and quick commentary beforehand.

Can't leave out the iching as well
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/534289.The_I_Ching_or_Book_of_Changes
Then
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1095134.Daoism_Explained
Internal alchemy:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38884921-a-comprehensive-guide-to-daoist-nei-gong
I don't study under this guy anymore and there's some wrong stuff in here but it's still a good book.
>>
>>38424333
The Tao of Pooh
>>
>>38424897
have you tried the Wei Wu Wei Ching?
>>
>>38424943
great, i really appreciate your comment anon
>>
It's not actually a singular thing so simple explanations are kind of impossible. Most of the authors of the "Taoist canon" wouldn't have even considered themselves Taoist
>>
>>38424333
Tao is the path to the Absolute which itself has no name.
>>
>>38425135
>>38425186
i know that the Tao cannot be expressed in words but i know that there are many interpretations that try to bring you closer to understanding the Tao and that is what i am looking for

i want authors who explain their interpretations of the Tao in a simple and understandable way
>>
>>38424943
>I don't study under this guy anymore and there's some wrong stuff in here but it's still a good book.
nobody puts all the goods into books these days
curious what you think is wrong in there
>>
>>38425399
Check trascended unity of religion by Frithjof Schuon
>>
>>38425399
the tao that can be spoken is not the true tao is merely letting you know that words are abstractions and there's always the real thing behind that just might be different in various ways
look at the word meditation
people think because of some mistranslations that meditation can be contemplation,
but in reality the fact of the matter is that thinking consumes all available potentials required for spiritual phenomena to manifest,
so if one is sitting there thinking then one is consuming
thinking is action of the mind
meditation is stillness all over, mind and body
thusly if one wishes to call forth something from the void,
just put the intention out and dont sit there thinking of it, because you're consuming the potential
this too is an action and isnt really meditation
sorry to be a word nazi but when it comes to important key fundamental concepts, its worth noting reasons why these words differ
the true tao cannot be spoken, but the tao can definitely be pointed at, its just important to not have very strong impressions of what you think they actually are until you have the direct experiences yourself
>>
>>38425433
He has real methods in there don't get me wrong, but I don't think his method for cultivating a dantian is that highly effective unless you're willing to put in the huge amount of work he is. It's good he's willing to lead people away from sensation based practices and the idea that qi is simply moved with the mind, those practices do nothing to actually cause damage to those who practice. Everything /x/ gives you is bullshit heads up, I have seen some dangerous practices recommended by people here.
You can know teachers by their students, none of his students have signs of higher cultivation, I know a few teachers that do have students with high results already. He apparently does have high levels of cultivation I've heard from high level students, though I've personally never seen him show these off.
Not even the teachers who can replicate success with students have all the goods, this is something my current teacher has talked a lot about as well. Even his teacher, who genuinely has high level siddhis does not have all the goods. Some of the stories I've heard from his teacher are absolutely insane (seeing people at his temple materialize in and out of space, walk through walls, bilocation, etc), but even him being a respected (and most importantly native Han Chinese) member of his temple is still not getting access to these highest level of cultivation techniques. You need to buy your way to them with generations of loyalty, hoping that eventually someone in your family will be gifted the inner of inner door access. If you're western you have no chance of this.
He has also said that he was told by someone within the inner door that white people actually had qi cultivation techniques before the Chinese did, but abused them leading to their cities getting flooded by beings from offside the planet (Atlantis basically), the teachings were then given to the Chinese who were told to not ever let them leak out, take that as you will lol.
>>
>>38425462
your explanation makes sense

if you could give me some book or source that helps me understand what you are saying it would be very good

>>38425435
>Check trascended unity of religion by Frithjof Schuon

good, this book is really interesting
>>
>>38425570
Can you elaborate on white people abusing the power of chi? What kind of things would you have to do to have your cities flooded?
>>
>>38425570
Can you tell me about the effect music has on meditation? They drown out all thoughts if it's loud but they can also become an ear worm
>>
>>38425570
>(and most importantly native Han Chinese)
Han chinese are extinct
>>
>>38424943
I own Benebel Wens books, my favorite being the Dao of Craft for fu creation. She is a Big faggot though and I dont like her smug little scheming glare she gives me
>>
>>38425570
So these pkrtals, they probably behave like nether portals from minecraft. Build one 200 meters from another and you exit out of the first one. I don't like the thought of chinese having portal dominance. There should be a spot on earth were white people can create their own portal
>>
>>38424333
I don’t usually recommend reddit, but r/taoism has a great reading list with good translations and relevant commentary from taoists. Check it out

On the side note, if you are more experienced in western philosophy try reading heidegger, sartre and merleau-ponty, they are existentialists who had independently derived a lot of similar ideas to that of taoism (though they used logic and reason to explain rather than mystical aphorisms). Heidegger was the closest to taoism of all western philosophers, and was known to have held dialogue with taoists and cite them explicitly in his work
>>
>>38424333
>books
youtube it and watch at 2.1 times speed

or ur wasting ur time

anything important should be able to be summarized within an hour
>>
>>38424333
lionel giles is the most educated translation i've come across so far
i recommend "musings of a chinese mystic"
introduction of that book and the rest is well written
>>
>>38425570
it sounds like you're just someone who used to train under him and didnt put in the work and was kicked out
>Everything /x/ gives you is bullshit
now this is just dumb, everything is a big word that isnt appropriate
>>
>>38426573
glad that makes sense
you already have audience with olfactoryanon, quickest way to find the proper fundamentals based path on /x/
>>
>>38426654
you dont want the mind engaged at all
me I play a lot of instruments and will get too engrossed in music, so its extra bad for me to have musical things going on
>>
>>38426606
Sorry I don't know more, this is commenting on a one off comment of a one off comment

>>38426654
Probably makes it difficult to focus, I don't really know I don't meditate with music

>>38428590
No? First off I have never trained directly with Damo,, only with his students or his online course (which is kinda meh sadly), but I certainly was not kicked out it didn't put in work.
I like Damo ok, he's better than most teachers. I believe his method for creating a dan tian container is not as effective as another method of ldt creation I have been taught. If Damo works for you then stick with him but he is not the end all of Qigong teachers.

Fine I shouldn't have used the word everything, but yes there is a lot of dangerous stuff posted here
>>
>>38428643
ah ok, so you're just salty that info isnt given out freely to outer door with any depth requested
news flash kid, the beginning stuff is all meh that's why nobody wants to do it, that's why so few make progress
I say this as never having been a student of his
>not as effective
not as quick doesnt mean not as effective
>>
>>38428660
Oh no this other method is much slower for ldt creation, but it actually connects to the meridian system during creation instead of needing to individually target specific meridians after formations as you need to do with a container

Please stop putting words in my mouth
>>
what is the most accurate and supported english translation of the Tao Te Ching?

is there any edition and translation of the Tao Te Ching that is recommended above all others?
>>
>>38428681
>it actually connects to the meridian system during creation
what do you expect people to think of you when you write bullshit like this
>>
guys, do you recommend practicing Tai Chi for spiritual self-development? do you think this is useful?
>>
>>38428920
>guys, do you recommend practicing Tai Chi for spiritual self-development? do you think this is useful?
its great for body upkeep
and that is necessary for spiritual development
>>
>>38428937
is tai chi backed by science? are there really physiological and physical improvements?
>>
>>38429052
>is tai chi backed by science?
taoism itself is a scientific approach
>are there really physiological and physical improvements?
this should take place with any good regimen, but yes, if you train well
>>
>>38424897
Other authors don't really matter
>>
>>38429052
103 Yang form is probably good enough of a form that you can grind and seek physical benefits from, I've done some martial arts form practice and can tell that I can snap to those movements faster if I have grinded them in that prescribed format over and over, it builds muscle memory very fast.
>>
>>38429356
great, what other martial arts do you practice? do you really believe in qi?

do you use this "qi" for martial arts?

>>38429317
>Other authors don't really matter

it matters to me, understanding the Tao is difficult and i believe if i read how other people have experienced the Tao i will be able to assimilate that understanding better
>>
>>38424333
Read "The Cicada and the Bird" by Chuang Tzu translated by Christopher Tricker.
>>
>>38428777
Qi pushes into the channels as the dantian becomes stronger and stronger, gates and orbits are opened as the result of dantian cultivation and do not require additional practices to target them.
I'm not really sure what you're saying here, but I feel as if your system does not work.
>>
>>38424333
The tao of Pooh is pretty good
>>
>>38424967
>>38430270
>>38424943
>The Tao of Pooh

i just researched The Tao of Pooh and it seems like a very good book

THIS is what i was really looking for, you guys have helped me a lot
>>
>>38430499
Learned of it from the proud family episode that show used to be truly "woke" not this new age crap, was a whole episode about a family who chose to be homeless, and they were happy. Taoism at its core is about choosing your own path, and doing what you feel is right.
>>
>>38430263
what are the best practices of Taoist self-cultivation?

what advice do you give me for self-cultivation?
>>
>>38424333
You mean you don't understand the shrine of 10,000 pearls or the valley of the red dragon?
>>
>>38429356
And if you want the harder form, go for chen
>>
>>38430532
>the shrine of 10,000 pearls
>the valley of the red dragon

what is this?
>>
>>38430263
you made it sound like this doesnt happen in other methods of dantien cultivation, and also in the context of how damo teaches dantien cultivation
if you dont understand why your response was shit...
>>
>>38430528
do chi kung or tai chi or yoga to fortify the body
do olfactoryanon's breath work to achieve a good meditative foundation
>>
>>38426812
What's the relationship between existentialism and taoism? I like existentialism but probably only have a pretty superficial understanding of it.
>>
>>38432650
>What's the relationship between existentialism and taoism?

as far as i know, Taoism and Existentialism are very related, Taoism seems more like an existentialist philosophy than anything else

i am not a scholar of Taoism but from what i understand, Taoism has as its principle knowing, finding and practicing "harmony" with the same existence (the Tao)
>>
>>38432640
>do chi kung or tai chi

which is better for meditation: tai chi or qigong?
>>
>>38424897
watch the first three kung fu pandas
>>
What should I read if I want to practice energy work/internal alchemy nut I have zero Taoism background?
>>
File: ub7kj3e59eu91.jpg (112 KB, 1080x950)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>38424333
>>
>>38424874
Is there a millennial translation? I don't like gen z because their memes are cringe.
>>
>>38426688

That smug look is a 4th wall breaking arousal trigger for me
>wuuuu weiiiii im gonna coooom eyyyy
>>
>>38434025
either can be done "in a meditative fashion" but in reality its simply not possible for meditative phenomena to manifest while in such action, no matter how slow it is performed
>>
Taoism isnt supposed to make sense.
>>
>>38435988
taoism is perhaps the most scientific "religion" out there
>>
>>38437122
>I browse reddit and I'm proud!
>>
>>38437376
go be a faggot somewhere else
>>
>>38437406
Whoops meant for >>38437122
>>
>>38437376
i think he's basically right. the chinese religion is ancestor worship atheism with general advice for good living. in the west we just lie about shit and that's why it's wrong. we both have charlatans but their charlatans just trick you into buying snake oil. taosim cant probably do what it says because of technological limitations, but taoism is essentially the religion of materialism. even chi is supposed to basically be like electrons or something.
>>
>>38435677
yolo, but you should eat vegetables and eat healthy warm meals, maybe light some candles for the vibe, and do some exercises for the health benefits. Also remember to touch grass and enjoy the moment bro. It is what it is.
>>
>>38435887
i want to know the technical differences between Tai Chi and Qigong, they are meditation systems that are very similar

how are Tai Chi and Qigong different?
>>
>>38437426
>but taoism is essentially the religion of materialism. even chi is supposed to basically be like electrons or something.

interesting
>>
>>38437491
>i want to know the technical differences between Tai Chi and Qigong, they are meditation systems that are very similar
well, they arent meditation systems
they are methods of refining the body
this helps with meditation, tremendously
tai chi has several different forms, chen is the original and is harder, yang was developed for the aristocracy that wasnt quite so physically capable, this is why old people are doing yang tai chi.
tai chi CAN be a capable martial art but the vast majority of people are not shown martial applications
my buddy who taught me the 80something chen form was sure to take each piece here and there and show you how to fuck someone up with it
chen form did a number on my knees though, sucks gettin old, boy
chi kung is similar in that it is body development, it is mainly targeting training the tendons, ligaments, and fascia
I dont consider active things to be meditation, meditation is the cultivation of awareness from a strict standpoint
energy work is not meditation
but all of these things are self cultivation
that might not have answered in a way you expected, but some things needed to be clarified about your question
>>
>>38437501
I said it was scientific in that by and large the scientific method of inquiry is followed. some may argue this in regard to deities and such.
I dont know how this guy said its the religion of materialism though, that's not correct
same w atheism - deities are recognized as accomplished individuals but big G God is beyond human fathom and is called The Tao and isnt given human traits as other religions do
taoism is at root the following of nature and guidelines to live in accord with nature
>>
>>38437540
i saw their idea of god is more like The First Ancestor in short and the tao is seperate and unexplainable as it is bigger than any explanation. but once you establish all this people start wondering about what's next and want stronger boners and a longer happier life. academics also note that eastern religions tend to see existence as a totality, like heaven (space) is touching earth. where as westerners tend to believe there are like different realities separate from each other. when i say materialism i mean they are occupied with this place we are in and think there is perhaps nothing else, but in all the cosmos who kmows what wonders are out there, anything is possible, we need only discover and cultivate it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.