[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/x/ - Paranormal

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Was Plato a noble liar?
>>
>>38949834
What the fuck would it madder if he was an noble liar or an ignoble liar- why did you use this adjective? Better have a good reason
>>
>>38949887
The nobleness of the lie from a utilitarian standpoint would be its utility in enabling the entirety of Western thought to enlighten itself through exposure to a monad like entity.
The lie part would come from the underlying implication in his work which he may have known to be false that truth and goodness are sure assurances of themselves. Self-referential loop (which it is)?
>>
>>38949907
You think that the goal of Plato was to adapt society to monotheism?
>>
>>38949834
Yes.
Better than be a truther.
>>
>>38949834
The noble lie is the falsehood of the external world of matter. People trust most what does not even exist.
>>
>>38949834
No. How can you lie about justifying slavery? lmfao
>>
File: download (62).jpg (8 KB, 190x266)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
I'm looking for an honest man.
>>
>>38949834
Plato didn’t actually believe in his cave allegory. He was a troll.
>>
>>38949834
>Concerning all these writers, or prospective writers, who claim to know the subjects which I seriously study, whether as hearers of mine or of other teachers, or from their own discoveries; it is impossible, in my judgement at least, that these men should understand anything about this subject. There does not exist, nor will there ever exist, any treatise of mine dealing therewith. For it does not at all admit of verbal expression like other studies, but, as a result of continued application to the subject itself and communion therewith, it is brought to birth in the soul on a sudden, as light that is kindled by a leaping spark, and thereafter it nourishes itself. Notwithstanding, of thus much I am certain, that the best statement of these doctrines in writing or in speech would be my own statement; and further, that if they should be badly stated in writing, it is I who would be the person most deeply pained. And if I had thought that these subjects ought to be fully stated in writing or in speech to the public, what nobler action could I have performed in my life than that of writing what is of great benefit to mankind and bringing forth to the light for all men the nature of reality? But were I to undertake this task it would not, as I think, prove a good thing for men, save for some few who are able to discover the truth themselves with but little instruction; for as to the rest, some it would most unseasonably fill with a mistaken contempt, and others with an overweening and empty aspiration, as though they had learnt some sublime mysteries.
>>
>>38953229
The thing about the allegory is it is reversed, like people think inside the cave is inside their head- DEAD WRONG. The cave is when you look out at the normal world with your normal eyes.
>>
Bumb
>>
>>38949834
Yws
>>
>>38949907
How did Plato introduce a Monad-like entity when he lived like 1900 years before Leibniz invented Monads?
>>
>>38953691
Based anon gatekeeping from those who cannot understand without being taught

/s

Lazy or doesn't care or can't.
>>
>>38949834
Is it a lie to describe something simplistically to a child?
>>
>>38949834
Plato was a wannabe Socrates he wanted a Daemon but had to settle for listening to the one that was in Socrates.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.