[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6911.jpg (582 KB, 1179x727)
582 KB
582 KB JPG
Weekly Debate Post: Skiing vs. Snowboarding!
>>
I snowboarded because I'm not a lame ass but now that I'm older I think I'd try skiing instead because it seems easier
>>
>>181305
theres something very meditative about snowboarding that i like. you really gotta tap into the tao or youre gonna just mess up. pretty cool that something can be both exciting and contemplative at the same time.
>>
I started skiing because I didn't like having to strap in every lap at my little midwest hill, I did it for years and got pretty good but if I had to do it over I'd snowboard because my feet and shins were always in pain.
>>
>>181305
>skiing
Refined, gentlemanly, Hobby of learned men of class
>snowboarding
Nobody cares
>>
>>181305
ski boots are the best argument against skiing
>>
>>181305
Skiing so I'm not barred from any of the mountains trying to keep the hoi polloi out
>>
>>181305
Riding a board will never not be cool, so snowboarding. There's a level of 'free spiritedness' to it that's hard to explain. Serene but simultaneously exciting like >>181308 said.

skating will always be cooler than roller blading.
surfing will always be cooler than water skiing.
snowboarding will always be cooler than skiing.

Simple as.
>>
Skiing is way more fun in the park but I think I'm just gonna switch to board and slash pow the rest of my days. I'm only 22 years old and I've already permanently fucked up both of my knees.
>>
>>181396
Just tele, bro.
>>
>>181305
Skis are faster and more capable than a snowboard on any kind of terrain. Also easier on the body since you move forward. Enough said.
>>
Tell me about diamond runs
I went on one by accident once because my blue one cut across it and I wasn't going fast enough to bridge the gap and the entire experience was oh jeez oh no oh no oh jeez oh no

What's the goal here? Just make really wide turns and snake my way down? Because that was way too fast for my blood
>>
File: XPZDEWBzneY-HQ.jpg (20 KB, 480x360)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
TBD (TOTAL BOARDER DEATH)
>>
>>181404
Use up your momentum with each turn so you don't need to break constantly.
>>
>>181401
tele just doesn’t feel as cool as surfing pow.
snowboards can be a nightmare in the backcountry thoughbeit
>>181404
use short turns to control speed or just gun it down the fall line. on fuck you levels of steep just do hop turns. also if you have a pipe at your mountain that’s a really good way to learn steep
>>
>>181412
>>181328
>>181325
why are skiiers such hotheads, bros?
>>
>>181414
I was presented with a dilemma while on my run from hell
To the left it became incredibly steep, to the right there was a hump which I could not see beyond
In my mind I think the hump will slow me down, but also I don't know if it will launch me into the air at this current speed and I don't know what's on the other side
>>
>>181305
I like going fast so I like skiing
>>
I only ever saw one black person while skiing, and he was a snowboarder
>>
>>182145
stevie bell was pretty rad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFdWDRuLUmk
i don't think black people can afford skis
>>
>>181305
It's all just glorified sledding.
>>
>>181305
I board, one thing I've noticed is that skiers just let toddlers loose on the hills, it's basically my only recurring issue, don't bring the little shit on the diamonds if they can barely turn
>>
>>181328
there's like 12 mountains in the US that are ski only, the battles been lost
>>
>>181305
I've been skiing all my life and recently (4 years ago) I decided to try out snowboarding.
I've been switching between the two since then but I still prefer skiing.
Snowboarding feels more restraining and sloppy.
At least their boots are the superior ones.
>>
>>184708
I think it's down to only 4 now
>>
>>184827
3 now
>>
>>181308
Exactly how I feel. Snowboarding is both the most exhilarating thing I’ve ever done and also somehow therapeutic. I’m willing to hold off my judgement of skiing until I try it, however the vitriol the grandpas harbor towards snowboarders is so cringe
>>
>>185650
Skiing is pretty fun you should try it.
>t. Boarder
>>
>>181305
Crime is fun, so snowboarding.
>>
Snowboarding for pow, side hits, easy riding, trees, skiing for steeps, cliff drops, moguls, going fast. Both are fun.

Simple as
>>
>>186322
short wides have made snowboarding bumps actually fun. traversing in back/side country can be a fucking nightmare though if you don't have a splitboard.
these days i honestly think snowskates are my favorite way to ride bumps though.
>>
alpine boarding>skiing>snowboarding
in terms of my subjective coolness rating
>>
File: _DSC9757_DarrenGardner_MF.jpg (379 KB, 1920x1278)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>186336
forgot my pic
>>
>>186337
That just looks like high level speed carving
>>
File: GayAF.jpg (69 KB, 600x315)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>186337
Anything on a board where both feet are pointed in the same direction (i.e. both forward vs. sideways and one tilted forward and one tilted back) is gay as fuck.

Pic related, this is how homosexuals signal to each other for buttsex.
>>
File: Monoski-993358.jpg (332 KB, 1920x1440)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
step aside plebs
https://youtu.be/Jh_sAgfB4Kc
>>
>mid-season
>thread's dying
>>
I tried snowboarding for the first time after being a skier my entire life and I just found it needlessly tiring
>>
How do I find a boyfriend to go shred with
>>
>>188166
wya
>>
>>188167
weast goast
>>
>>188170
COcels keep losing
i wanna go out there though. im tired of getting stormcucked by utah
>>
>>188171
We have the finest mud in the country
>>
>ctrl+f
>sneeding
>no results
Idiots, it's the most obvious joke
>>
Should I get a season pass for Wachusett or Pat's Peak next year? Wachusett is about 30 minutes closer but Pat's Peak is slightly larger.
>>
>>188134
Weather got warm
>>
>>188165
>needlessly tiring
Skill issue
>>
>>188469
It's true
>>
>>188579
different anon here, I can easily board 10 hours, maybe you need to learn to board or build up your core
>>
>>188663
i think board length changes it a lot. i bumped down from a 160 to shortwides and for the first time in my life i actually enjoy snowboarding moguls
>>
>>181372
dead wrong.

snowboarding is nothing like skating and surfing because a snowboarder is attached to the board. which is why all surfers and skaters can snowboard, but snowboards cant automatically skate/surf.

skiing is the freer snow sport, because while attached, a skier is still able to make use of both his legs. unlike a snowboarder whose range of motion is strictly limited.

the greater freedom of skiing is evident when you realize it is the preferred method for navigating ALL mountain terrain. hell, you can't even use a snowboard as a form of transportation--the existence of splitboards tells you everything you need to know about snowboarding inferiority.
>>
>>181305
skiers:
>faster
>wealthier
>more attractive to women
>able to navigate more difficult terrain

snowboarders:
>more attractive to teenage boys
>broke
>uneducated
>low iq
>>
>>188393
I don’t know. I have a pass to Wachusett and I go all the time. What time of day to you ride? I go from 7- close so that I can avoid all the school kids. There are never any lines. I’ve never been to Pats but it looks like a fun night spot.
>>
>>189066
Sissy-sticks typed this post
>>
>>181306
Skiing is easier to learn but harder to master
>>181311
Either you had boots that didn't fit properly or you were skiing runs above your ability level.
>>
>>189298
I usually go about once a week for a few hours and then fuck around at Nashoba on the days when my pass doesn't work because the guys they have running the lifts don't seem to give a shit if you go over your time limit. I took my younger cousin to Bradford ski over in Haverhill a few weeks ago and it was slightly better than Nashoba in terms of terrain but it didn't feel worth it. Plus they don't have a bar.
>>
I accused all snowboarders of being wife beaters and drug addicts on a chairlift and my friend who snowboards yelled "HEY, I have NEVER done drugs"
>>188393
personally I like Pat's peak a lot more
crotched and gunstock also have night skiing, I think gunstock has the edge on all of them
>>
Skiing is vastly superior because FIS World Cup is way more fun to follow than any "pro" snowboarding.
>>
That aside, how can I marry a Japanese waifu and enjoy skiing in Japan with my loving hapa kids?
https://youtu.be/EluAk3Y6q0g?si=0ktALgVJw6zP2Yj4
>>
Honestly, the warpig is amazing on and off piste.

In other news, skiers can suck on my short and fat cock
>>
What a life...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9xXrYcWVdM
>>
After 26 years snowboarding exclusively (Rocky mountain range), a friend offered me a bunch of new ski gear to try out. It was truly back to basics, perception of slope, edge control, completely different muscle groups required.
I scared the shit out of myself and put the skis away after 1 run. Now I'll only ever wear 2 planks split-skinning uphill
>>
>>191034
God, I am THIS close to dropping out of college and doing something like this living in my shitbox.
>>
>>189393
>Skiing is easier to learn but harder to master
This line is annoying. Skiing has a lot more potential for progression because you have 4x the amount of tools available. When people say snowboarding is easier to master, what does that even mean? Not sitting on the hill? Being able to carve and not fall? That also describes an intermediate skier.
>>
>>181372
I do both, and I feel far less "free" when I snowboard due to having less mobility and generally having to move slower. It's all in your head because you associate snowboarding with being counter-culture or whatever, which is ridiculous considering how big of a sport snowboarding has become and how much it's embraced by most resorts. This isn't the 90s anymore.
>>
>>191292
>It's all in your head
It's all in my sick nollies actually
>>
I wonder why there are so few snow sport threads on this site, are most people here poorfags/don't have a mountain?

>>191290
>>191292
>muh console wars!

cringe
>>
>>191344
Nope, but your feelings are clearly hurt. Which bit of truth hurts the most?
>>
Bros, I need your help.
>Longtime snowboarder
>Tried skiing for the first time
>Really enjoyed it

I was looking at gear advice and everyone seems to have the idea of getting a good boot fit done.

Anyone have a recommendation for a bootfiter local to SoCal?
>>
why not both?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5MUu_zKLQ
>>
File: k2_data.jpg (727 KB, 2048x2048)
727 KB
727 KB JPG
Tourist from /n/ here. I'm hijacking this thread for my noob question about snowboard boots, because I couldn't find a better thread for it.

I'm a total noob starting from zero, I bought a pair of cheap snowboard boots on sale, with intentions to learn to snowboard next winter. When I tried the boots on I felt that I bought the right size. They felt like I've been led to believe snowboard boots are supposed to fit; snug but not exactly cramped, and heel feels firmly in place. Except I've been wearing the boots indoors for 20 minute now and I can feel my pulse in my feet. Is this a good or a bad sign?

Pic is the boot I bought.
>>
>>192652
both ski and snowboard boots are sold by sole length, measured in cm or mm. sometimes you see the word mondo which is the same thing. by measuring your sole from heel to toe you will usually end up with the right size. however this is where the "standards" end as every brand and even every model within a brand fits differently.
it's really impossible to tell whether what you described is good or bad until you've had your first day in the slopes. also your feet will likely ache at the beginning even if the boots do fit you perfectly. the boots will pack out over time so initial tightness isn't always a bad thing.
>>
>>186784
this is gay
>>
>>192730
I've measured my feet to ~26.5 cm. I bought size 28 boots. I can't imagine even getting my foot into a size 26.5 boot.
>>
>>186784
hell yeah brother
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCnXIB60RM
>>
Snowboarding is what normies do when they go on their first trip to the ski resort.
>>
>>192832
idk anon. i barely even see boarders on the mountain and almost all of them are at least 40
>>
>>192730
>>192796
Who the fuck makes snowboard boots by sole length?!?

Don't listen to this dude.
When choosing boots they are supposed to fit snugly when you put pressure forward on your shins. Also make sure to measure the boots with the socks you plan to use when snowboarding.

Where do you feel the pulse, did you overtighten them?
>>
>>192947
>Where do you feel the pulse
In my feet. No specific area, just the whole foot.

>did you overtighten them?
I don't _think_ so.
>>
>>192951
It should be snug around your calves, so when you put pressure forward or backward, there isn't any free movement inside the boot.

As for your foot, as long as your heel doesn't move when you put pressure on your shin and lift the heel (imagine you are stepping on a bug with your toes) it's tight enough.
It definitely shouldn't cause discomfort after wearing them for 20 minutes
>>
>>181305
Snowboarding, because it looks cooler IMO. Skiing just doesn't appeal to me, and as >>185650 mentioned, it really feels therapeutic. Just weighting you body and riding effortlessly is something you can't do with skiing (the legs needs to be "balanced" at all time, the snowboard does that for you).
>>
>>181305
Nothing will ever compare to my first trip snowboarding. From day one eating shit to day three touring the mountain in near whiteout. That was the day I became a man. I don't think I would ever try skis but who knows.
>>
>>193138
>Just weighting you body and riding effortlessly is something you can't do with skiing
Not true. Why would you try to say things about skiing when you're clearly not good at it?
>>
idk if it's because i learned it too young but skiing just feels too automatic. you just point down the hill and go. people say snowboarding is easier but i feel like i get to do way more and there's a lot more thing you can do to manipulate your carve in a fun way
>>
>>189065
Exactly right. Snowboards are quite literally toys while skis are and have been tools for hundreds of years. Snowboarding is significantly more accessible, cheaper entry level gear, boots are more “comfortable”, and it’s similar to other activities the average urbanite has already done (skateboarding). Skiing is a pure sport, nothing else is like it, yet it is inherently natural movement for the human body. The “flow” snowboarders talk about is real, but significantly less engaging than properly skiing at a moderate/high level. The problem is that even a beginner can experience “flow” on a snowboard, while skiing requires a bit more effort for it to initially click. Many quit skiing after trying once or twice, but will board because they feel like they’re better at it. Snowboarding is unironically for poor, lazy minorities, and skiing is and will forever be the white mans sport.
>>
>>193963
cringe
>>
>>193908
Skiied all throughout high school and got into snowboarding this season. Completely agree, skiing doesn’t require much thought compared with boarding where the entire ride down the mountain I’m conscious of each toe movement.
Basically boarding gets me into the flow state more than skiing does, plus I want to learn how to hit rails & shit and boards seem easier to do that
>>
File: IMG_0814.jpg (3.99 MB, 3024x4032)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB JPG
There’s good and bad to both sports but I find skiers way more insufferable than snowboarders just from personal experience. They all have the same arguments.

>its a more natural body orientation
>enjoy unclipping during traverses
>I can go sooo much faster!!!

None of these are true if you’re at least halfway decent at snowboarding. They all share the same commonality: they were all too pussy to ride a skateboard and they’re all too pussy to admit they wouldn’t be able to handle snowboarding. You’re a glorified rollerblader
>>
File: Salute.png (5 KB, 512x512)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
100% of boarders will never touch bumps so I get the black/double black chair at my local almost all to myself during corn snow season. Thank you for your sacrifice one plankers
>>
>>194237
i mean ime you will barely see anyone on double blacks or bump runs ski or board. 90% of the mountain traffic sticks on the golf course and never leaves. i actually started liking bumps a lot when i started night riding on shortboards
>>
>in community college for a year
>planning to transfer to a state college after
>thinking about skibumming in utah or colorado for a year
>could get in-state tuition in one those states and live there
>never snowboarded before
>always wanted to
>grew up playing amped and ssx
>skateboarded but was pretty shit at it
anyone done the whole skibum thing before?
thoughts on it?
>>
>>194277
>skibum
it's a lot harder than it used to be. you need a pretty good job hookup or homie hookup or a vehicle you can live out of, ideally at least 2/3.
>>
>>194249
I respect it. Dont think Ive ever seen a boarder on that chair except on a pow day though. The volkswagen sized moguls usually scare them all away kek.
>>194277
I have, pretty recently actually. Not quite >>191034 tier but close enough. Best time of my life.
If you're a beginner you could try the seasonal resort employee bum approach. Some resorts offer cheap but shit employee housing and free lessons and passes as benefits. Main cons are you're working full time and whether you get the job or not is entirely dependent on how many argies and aussies they can convince to work poverty wages on J1 visas. I didnt do this but its one option
Cant really say much about what its like without knowing which parts of it you're most curious about.
>>
>>194293
>>194296
the employee housing was what I was gonna bank on, but failing that I have a bit of a cushion I could live off
if I couldn't get a job at a resort I'd be content living near one that I can get to with public transport and working separately from it
I guess just generally curious about how enjoyable it is?
I'm pretty keen on it because the idea of living on a resort and being literally right at such a fun physical activity would get me to spend time away from the internet, which I think I desperately need
I'm doing my community college online so going from so much computer time to so much offline time would be lovely
>>
>>194237
>100% of boarders will never touch bumps
See you in the trees friendo
>>
>>194299
I enjoyed it a ton. Met a lot of cool people and I will definitely still be looking back on those days when I'm a vegetable. I definitely wouldnt do it my way again though, which was mostly couchsurfing. It wasnt great but I loved it because I loved the sport. The way you're talking about will definitely be easier, but much more expensive. I would say at least find out if you like it first and find ways to lower the cost before doing anything. Even if everything goes right and you still skimp a lot anyways, it will be very hard to break even and you will probably have to break into some of your savings.
As a beginner, I might even recommend doing it in a place with a ski area, but maybe a bit off the beaten path. Colorado is great and all, but unless you're there for the expensive tourist shit or you can ski the expert terrain it wont make much of a difference in your ski experience imo.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.