[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7943.jpg (77 KB, 461x481)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Is there any kind of list that has the best Brazilian jujitsu schools in each city?
I’m looking for the best one in Cambridge, Massachusetts outside of Boston where Harvard is.

I recently got assaulted and wants to take Brazilian jujitsu to defend myself. Does anyone know a good Brazilian jujitsu school in the Cambridge Massachusetts area? I lives by Harvard so the closer the better thank you.
>>
>>188594
Idk but if you want to learn bjj for self defence, go to a school that teaches other combat sports as well. Bjj+wrestling+boxing/kickboxing/muay thay>bjj on itself.
>>
Bernardo is the only person I know in Massachusetts
>>
>>188594
Google maps is your friend.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/martial+arts+in+Cambridge,+MA/@42.371896,-71.1162449,14z?entry=ttu

Here's what I found in a very cursory search.

https://www.backtobasicsboston.com/
Nice clean website. Owner/head instructor is a pro fighter and is an SBG affiliate. They've got Muay Thai as well as jiujitsu.

These guys look decent. Couple different locations, too: https://massbjj.com/

This might be worth checking out as well: https://redlinefightsports.com/
Website it a little more sketchy-looking, and it's kinda weird they've got so many different styles (kung fu?), but what the hell, give em a look.

https://www.ginsbergacademy.com/
John "Doomsday" Howard teaches here, he's a pro fighter, used to compete in the UFC.

There's also this old-school judo club: https://tohokujudo.org/
Love the old-school judo club look and feel, but the first thing on their website is covid faggotry, so that puts me off a bit. Might still be worth checking out.

Ultimately you're going to have to do your own research, OP. Almost every gym has some form of a trial membership. Go to ALL of them, take the trial membership, and then after you've tried ALL of them, make your decision.
>>
>>188603
Wow, you put a lot of your own personal time and effort into that. Thank you very much I really appreciate it.
>>
>>188594
Do you have a specific reason why you want to learn BJJ, or would you be open to other gyms?

>>188603
Great response. From what I hear from MITfags ginsberg academy and back to basic are both great schools. Trying different schools out is the best way to figure out what's a good fit!

I would say, ironically, any school with a heavier emphasis on skill acquisition and athletic development for the purpose of competition will better translate into self defense stuff than bjj schools that teach "self defense programs".
>>
>>188594
>u to defend myself. Does anyone know a good Brazilian jujitsu school in the Cambridge Massachusetts area? I lives by Harvard

Buy a gun, is more effective
>>
>>188594
Bjj is a Ponzi scheme. Why do you think rolling around on the floor is good for self defence?

The only self defence that truly works is being 120kg, not dressing like a victim, having a very good 1-2
>>
>>188631
>The only self defence that truly works is being 120kg, not dressing like a victim, having a very good 1-2
How do victims dress?
Also, loses against any weapon more powerful than a fork.
>>
>>188632
If you have to ask you won't know
>>
>>188608
Np. Get out there and report back itt after visiting each gym. Seriously I'd be genuinely interested in your impressions/thoughts after trying em.

>>188622
>ironically, any school with a heavier emphasis on skill acquisition and athletic development for the purpose of competition will better translate into self defense stuff
Fully agreed. 1-2 years of competition oriented training plus a couple Shivworks courses would probably be as close to ideal as a guy can get.

>>188623
I don't know because I don't live there, but I think MA has very onerous gun laws. Consult with /k/ for details or check the state .gov website.
>>
>>188631
>muh 1 2
Nice muscles fag, now run me those pockets
>>
>>188638
Thank you I really appreciate it when I try all the schools, free trials and decide at which one to use I will definitely repost here. Appreciate it!
>>
>>188631
And in Boston as cold as it gets here, everyone walks around in jackets and criminals so jujitsu and judo are great for using the jackets to grab in maneuver, so I’m just looking to protect myself and pick up a new skill. Thank you for all your help.
>>
>>188631
>ponzi scheme
that word doesn’t mean whatever you think it means
>>
>>188653
I think the cold weather jacket advantage is overstated
He's wearing a jacket made likely of thin polyester with stuffing, not heavy gauge cotton
And also you have Ham hands because youre either wearing gloves, have frozen stupid unresponsive fingers, or perhaps both

I've always believed it's a non-falsifiable myth that wearing a gi makes you better at winter fighting
>>
>>188594
Dude, I just realized, you're in MA. Ya know who else in MA?
Jimmy fuckin' Pedro, the winningest judo coach in the US, coach of the only Olympic medalists in American Judo history.
https://pedrosjudo.com/

Also, Travis Stevens, his top student, Olympic silver medalist, is running his own gym at that location as well:
https://www.travisstevensjiujitsu.com/

I have no idea if this is within commuting range of you, but honestly it would be worth it to travel to train there. Jimmy and/or Travis come down to our gym for seminars about once a year or so and they're freaky grappling geniuses.

If you do go train with either of them you absolutely have to report back here. Fair warning, Travis can sometimes come across as kind of an asshole, but he's really not. Nothing's personal.
>>
>>188674
>but he's really not
are you sure he's not or do you just choose to believe he's not because you want that to be the case? I've never heard anyone say something nice about the guy personally
>>
>>188675
Fair enough. I haven't spent a ton of time around him, I've only been to a couple of his seminars, so I can't claim perfect insight into his character.

What I can say is, with me he was direct, he was blunt, he immediately corrected any technical mistake I made, but he never attacked me personally. He gave us a clear head's-up at the start that his 'communication style' was straight to the point with no regard for feelings.

IIRC, the way he put it is, "there's a difference between saying 'don't do that, that's stupid' and saying 'you are stupid'." He will tell you straight up if you are doing something stupid, and the technical details he's looking for are so fuckin' minute sometimes it took several times for me to figure out what correction to make, but he never flipped out and called me stupid (and honestly I'm pretty stupid).

I don't think I'd want him for a son-in-law, but as a grappling coach? I shit you not, he's brilliant.

By the way, FWIW, Jimmy is just about the nicest guy in the world. Total contrast. Crazy to think how well those guys worked together.
>>
>>188678
Nta. Having never met either them, it's a lot easier to be a cool coach/owner when your athlete instructors are psycho Hitler Mao. I'd bet Jimmy did his fair share of cuntery when he wasn't the Fuji mats guy.
>>
>>188674
Thank you I really appreciate all the help starting my free trials at the different schools tomorrow then I’ll decide which is best for me really appreciate all the help
>>
>>188674
Seconding Judo especially if you're in a city with an Olympic coach.
>>
>>188595
this
bjj academies are good if you want to compete in bjj but ass for self defence
go to an mma place with different disciplines
>>
>>188603
Yeah go to all of those. Prioritize distance and price. You're more likely to train if you are able to get there and afford it. Next is quality of training and cleanliness then the general vibe you get from everyone. I recently switched gyms after several years and it sucks.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.