[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000000087.png (1.31 MB, 720x1600)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
Do y'all think 22 with around 2 years of off and on kickboxing/MT experience is to late for a meaningful MMA career? It feels like fighting is my one true purpose in life, and it's all I want to do. But I also think I started too late. I have almost zero grappling experience, I'm naturally 125 at 5'9, and I don't drive so it'd be hard to keep up with work and training. Regardless, I'd probably still train just for a hobby, but I'm wondering if I should take training super serious. Or if I'm too late since there's people that's been doing this shit since they were like 12. What do y'all think?
Pic is me at my 2rd Mauy Thai smoker.
>>
File: bscap0016iz.jpg (59 KB, 960x544)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
You were great in Jumanji
>>
It's not too late because MMA is full of tomato cans, but having no grappling experience at that age means you'll never be elite.
>>
you can make it but you need to really commit and can't be wishy-washy about it
like as long as you stay major injury free you have 10 years before you start to feel your body start to take a shit naturally, you can do a lot with that time
consistency is the main thing with this kind of stuff, and don't worry about thinking long term because you might decide you hate the lifestyle after a year and say know what, I'm good this pro stuff isn't for me
>>
>>189970
If you want a career oit of fighting I'm guessing you want to go pro? If you're only decent at one thing at 22 it probably is too late to reach a level you can live off fighting and retire well down the line. You might be able to make it pro, but I wouldn't hold my breath on making a career out of this. People who can live off fighting are few and far between, the bulk of pros get chewed and spat out completely broke, physically and financially.

If you just love fighting try to get a job that can sustain you and your hobby, or focus on the KB you already know, build a career in that and aim for instructor down the line. Much more feasible and financially viable than trying to get into high level MMA when you're basically a noobie at one style.
>>
Idk maybe I'm just not about that life but the neck pain and headaches never seemed fun to me. I did one amateur boxing match and I just don't see the fun getting hit about the head in sparring especially going 60% just feels like cope. You can't even practice properly. im guessing sparring is mostly teaching distance management and knowing what it feels like to "fight" then fair enough I guess. I never really "got" it.

Yeah the thrill of the fight was great I just feel like the rest of it isn't worth it, especially striking where you can fuck up your eyes, brain etc.
>>
>>190055
60% sparring is honestly too much for anything that isn't a pre-fight camp or something a hobbyist does once in a blue moon. Light sparring should be the bread and butter for anyone looking to be able to train for a long time, and both pros and amateurs need to prioritize longevity.
>>
>>190059
people don't get it, I'm in my 30s now and I've always been mindful of longevity but you really do feel it
in my 20s I'd just tank things and walk it off

the biggest thing now isn't even just that the injuries come more easily but they don't freakin heal
>>
File: 34rderf.jpg (216 KB, 1761x886)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>
File: shart of war.png (38 KB, 491x277)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>189970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8mNbCR9ClU&t=487s
5'9 Is a great height as you are robust enough to punch up and down.
Also do wrestling, if you are already versed in muay thai which is simple and effective you need to get your wrestling in, and make sure your teacher isn't shit.
That being said, approach that shit playfully, like a video game, if your brain is hotwired to your ego and your drive is falsely convinced that you have to be a pro x by x you fail by nature.

"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones." —Confucius.
>>
>>189970
>Pic is me at my 2rd Mauy Thai smoker.
So you already have some experience? Since what age did you train? If you have some athletic base you are not old to go pro. And if you love martial arts so much, at least you can become a trainer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.