[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Skydive21-1-scaled.jpg (287 KB, 2048x2048)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
Skydiving is the lamest "sport" ever conceived. There is no competitive aspect unlike basically every other sport. It's literally just drop from a plane and them pull the parachute. Obviously, there is some preparation that needs to go on but you don't have to be a peak athlete to skydive (and there's no competition so no reason to improve once you know the fundamentals.) And it lasts for literally about 10 seconds or less then it's over. The disciplines that are actually designed for competition like accuracy have almost no entrants and/or viewers even by extreme sports standards because it's a shitty spectator sport anyways. The only benchmark that exists is "muh records."

Also, BASE is a blood sport lmao. But skydiving seems easy once you are competent at it. Unless I'm missing something since I started finding out about it literally yesterday.
>>
>>191718
Skydiver here. Very few people in the sport 'compete.

Formation skydiving, be it belly or vertical, is pretty competitive but repetitive. Freestyle is nice to watch once, but then its boring. Wingsuit comps are even more boring.

Swooping comps are exciting, but it's like racing, most people are watching for the crashes.

For the average skydiver, you want 50-60 seconds of adrenaline in free fall, mostly tracking or having fun, and then possibly another 6-10 seconds of adrenaline if you choose to swoop.
>>
>>191779
I'm going to do it for first time. My ultimate goal is wingsuit flying. How difficult is it to do wingsuit and is it thrilling ?
>>
>>193018
Not very hard, you will need a minimum of 200 jumps to get into wingsuit flying, and generally a lot of dropzones have a dedicated wingsuit group that is pretty tight. What part of the US are you in? I can direct you to the best dropzone
>>
>>191718
>no reason to improve once you know the fundamentals
The only people who think this way are A license freshlings who think all the other freshlings are fucking up the dive flow and jump straight into freeflying because it makes them feel more advanced than they actually are. Being a good belly jumper takes hundreds of jumps.

>BASE is a blood sport lmao
Only if you're an idiot. The point of BASE jumping isn't to enjoy 3 seconds of free fall and avoid hitting any rocks on the way down to landing. People like being out in nature and exploring. Scouting out a landing area and poking around cliffs for hazards is part of the complete experience. If your idea of getting into BASE jumping is to go from being a couch potato to jumping off rocks you're in for a bad time. The people who really enjoy BASE jumping are the ones that would have enjoyed being out there even if they weren't BASE jumping. The jump is one part of the experience.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.