[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

You're gonna die You're gonna rag doll Edition
https://youtu.be/ewTo_rh_dTI?si=Us_6cvclqBHmj05I

FAQ on buying a bike that nobody reads anyway:
> What good bike can I get for under $500?
a stolen bike. Possibly a newer used entry level hardtail but don't expect it to survive rock gardens, jumps, or drops. Or an older mtb which won't be as good as newer ones and will still have a front derailleur, but it'll be good enough.
> What good bike can I get for under $1000
Good used hardtail, new entry level hardtail
> What good bike can I get for under $2000?
New Hardtail, decent used full suspension
> What good bike can I get for under $3000?
https://www.yt-industries.com/fr/produits/velos/capra/uncaged-10-al/602/capra-mx-uncaged-10/
Used full suspension, decent entry level full suspension but prepared to put more money into it.
> What are the excellent value brands?
Marin, Commencal, Canyon, Polygon, YT, Propain, Kona, and many more. Sometimes the expensive brands have an excellent alue bike
>> What are the differences between an XC, Trail, Enduro, and Downhill bikes?
XC bikes are for going up fast, go down not as fast. Trail bikes are for going up and down. Enduro bikes are for going down fast, and slower up. Downhill bikes are for going down really fast, needs a ski lift, truck, or the rider pushing it to go up.
Link to previous thread: >>193044
>>
File: 1693169628907124.png (59 KB, 300x300)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>>198870
God bless redbull for sponsoring shit like this. Redbull should be sole official international entity responsible for world cup mountain biking (except XC which falls to UCI) and mountain biking shit in general. Even the IMBA should be put down like down like a stray shitbull, Redbull should handle offical trail guidelines. None of that manicured 11 ft wide "singletracks" or dumbed down accessible for all shit, just straight up gnar.
They've done more for the sport than the UCI
>>
File: 1712911571697.png (29 KB, 749x449)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>198871
does redbull give me wings?
>>
>>198880
Yes(figuratively)
>>
File: 1716759958919.jpg (843 KB, 2048x1310)
843 KB
843 KB JPG
Polygon Xtrada 6
Norco Storm 2
Marin Bobcat Trail 3

I came across 3 bikes I'm considering. Which of these 3 would you take?
>>
>>198945
I like the marin, but I am a weirdo.
>>
File: 20240526_160108_HDR.jpg (2.24 MB, 2328x1746)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>Fitness and technical skills are finally coming back after my winter hibernation
How was your ride this weekend, anons?

>>198945
The polygon looks to be the best value for the money. If you can save up some extra money, the xtrada 7 has an air fork, which will let you set it up properly for your weight. With a coil fork you're at the mercy of whatever spring comes in it, or you'll have to spend extra money on a different coil anyways.
>>
>>198945
>polygon or marin,
Norco isn't worth upgrading because of its geometry.

>>198954
weekend ride was good, Getting faster again as i am riding more and more high speed trails.
Serviced my fork, replaced the oil 14cst @40c Motorex 2.5wt with some Fox Red 10wt which is 47cst @40c.
I was playing with the damper while I had it out of the fork and found out that only the last 3 clicks of LSC actually do anything the rest are basically wide open.
>>
File: IMG_20240526_162926_039.jpg (79 KB, 1080x1217)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>198949
What do you think about the Marin San Quentin 3? I've been looking at one of those new or I can get a used Nukeproof scout.
>>198954
My ride was good. I'm not as good at climbing as I used to be. I'm not sure why as I run like 6-9 miles a week.
>>
>>198954
getting back on the bike after a 5 month pause still was shit on the same climb but managed to shave off about 5 to 10 minutes since the long break although the goal is to go from 30 to 15 minutes also sold my old shitty habit and I´ll probably buy a cheap gravel so i can commute and work on my fitness
>>
>>198917
How he only got a concussion from that crash is unreasonable
>>
File: 1709634817553782.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
pumping is fun
even though my technique is probably shit
>>
>>198970
>replaced the oil 14cst @40c Motorex 2.5wt with some Fox Red 10wt which is 47cst @40c.
Do you feel much more damping force from switching to 47 cst from 14cst? Quite a big jump.
>>
>>199102
It's probably around the 1.25-1.4x as much damping force. It all depends on the damper type how much of an affect you will see, but you will see an increase across the board. I run 5-6 clicks of rebound now compared to 7 before. I noticed after the fluid change the damper bound less at top and bottom of the stroke. Idk what's causing this as it should be work in already. I have some Motorex 15wt racing fork oil which is 67cst @ 40c but I am pretty happy the way it is now. Also bleeding the fork damper is a massive pain.
>>
I have a bomber CR shock (apparently structurally identical to a Fox vanilla CR) and I’ve had LSC on max damping for years and sometimes want even more, but rebound is middle of the range and I don’t want to lose the exact rebound damping I have. What do you suggest? I’m not opening the damper alone so it would be something like a viscosity change and rebuild at a shop, or a complete tuning service from like avalanche (who says the bomber CR is one of the simplest shocks for them to tune)
>>
>>199089
I am practicing wheelies. Then it's on to either manuals or bunnyhops.
>>199040
The SQ3 seems pretty solid for some enduro/dh hardtailling. Round a decade ago I used to do something similar with an ns surge and it was fun.
>fitness
hmm maybe just more cycling and hill climbing? Your cardio should be fine if you run that much, so maybe you need more power.
>>
File: ezgif-2-3b652116ff.gif (3.95 MB, 700x400)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB GIF
>>199130
>Then it's on to either manuals or bunnyhops.
Learn bunnyhops asap. Definitely one of the most important skills to have if you want to go fast, and the movement translates well into doing large jumps and trials moves for going up tall rocks/features. If you can hop at least as high as your axle you will be unstoppable.

T. can bunnyhop bretty high, but still can't wheelie or manual well
>>
>>198880
Holy shit, nortubeldev from /agdg/?
You ride bro?
>>
File: 20240528_094547.jpg (3.34 MB, 2773x4080)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB JPG
>>199153
Yeah it's on the list of important things to finally learn. Been a while since I have been riding and spooked myself today, which was good. Local trails are just super eroded and I have a history of crashing on steep dry hardpack with big ruts. Did use the whoolie techniques for hoping square curbs which is nice. Mostly trying to get better at bunnyhops and jumps since I wasn't the cool kid doing that in elementary school.
>>
>>199040
Don't get it if you plan to upgrade anything. It's got a fuckin weird rear hub (141mm QR) which you'll never find a replacement for or fot a normal 12s drivetrain to. Try for the SQ2 at least.

That said. If you just want it as a sweet bike thats basic as and you don't plan on doing anything major to, go for it
>>
>>199068
Concussion can fuck you up.
>>
File: 171628861903972810.jpg (1.88 MB, 2730x2048)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>198954
Unfortunately couldnt get any rides in, raining season is starting and its very much making itself know starting off with a typhoon. Trails went from bone dry to pure sludge in 2 days.
And here I was foolish to think the rainy season might tone down the heat a bit. Oh well, hopefully this weekend ill get one in.
>>
>>199425
>Trails went from bone dry to pure sludge in 2 days.
That sucks. My favorite riding is in slightly damp or just not "bone dry" which it is right now, and will be for 3 months.
Flying down the trails but some close calls with how dry it is.
>>
I feel like I'm figuring out some technique for punchy climbs. I used to pull with my arms to get over rocks which is probably why my wrists are fucked now. But now I'm like feeling it all thru my feet, like I'm pushing with my feet and feeling the suspension bounce and I'm working with the bike. On my Wednesday ride I was able to lift the front wheel off the ground and place it over and around rocks which was amazing for me, I've never had that control climbing.
>>
File: 1664840303037679.jpg (44 KB, 498x348)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
The top section of the hardline track is just wow. Thats a track you NEED a DH bike to go down, forget about even using a long travel enduro bike, of you want to keep the speed, it wont be enough
>>199488
I just push it unless its short.
>born to go downhill, forced to go uphill
>>
>>199488
I like to build momentum and take the obvious line I can that's the smoothest, or most grippy. I find what gear you are in can really make the difference, and I prefer to stay in the saddle to keep a little better traction.
I find it quite fun clearing a section uphill, but I am oldschool.
>>
>>199542
>I find what gear you are in can really make the difference
I try to keep it in a higher gear to keep speed and not lose traction from too much torque
> prefer to stay in the saddle to keep a little better traction.
I'm different, I stand when it gets hard because then I can distribute my weight easier
>>
You're not gonna die you're not gonna ragdoll this year...
>>
File: PXL_20240601_181456960.jpg (1.85 MB, 4080x3072)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
Great day of riding fellas. I always feel like I got better after a day of riding at Santa Cruz
>>
File: 1716155970045904.jpg (107 KB, 640x640)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>199668
Man, the lip on that thing looked so jank. I'm surprised people actually ended up sending it at all
>>199685
>Rideposting
Based. Riding in general makes me feel better after rotting away in front of a screen for several days. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to ride this weekend, unless I miraculously wake up without a hangover tomorrow. Perhaps I'll sneak out during the week for some empty trails
>>
File: PXL_20240525_182357020.jpg (454 KB, 2040x1536)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
>>199686
I haven't ridden any of my drop bar bikes in weeks. MTB has just been perfect recently, I just keep getting invited to some great rides.
>>
>>199694
Your loss
>>
>>199714
I'm getting back on it on wednesday. It's going to be hot and I'd rather be on a fast drop bar bike than do slow climbs on the mtb in the heat
>>
How often do you need to service hubs?
>>
>>199895
Take the wheel off the bike, spin the axel, spin the freehub with the axel in place, and take the axel out and feel the bearings by hand, if the bearings don't feel smooth. Like a notchy or rough feeling you need to service them. Walmart teir bikes will always have brought feeling bearings
It Could be 2 years, it could be 3 months hubs don't have time intervals
>>
>>199895
when they feel bad. With old shimano/cup and cone ones I just service them, and ride away. With cartridge I remove seal, degrease, regrease, and place seal.
Then when those get bad enough I get new bearings.
>>
I need to do a lower service on my modern Marzocchi Bomber Z1 fork tomorrow. Reddit tells me the Z1 does not come with foam rings (or maybe it was the Z2?). If there are not 36mm foam rings in my Z1, should I slice my spare 35mm foam rings to fit?
>>
>>200142
just find some 36mm foam rings. They're all over amazon. That's where I've bought 34, 35, and 38mm foam rings
>>
>>200144
Yeah but will they be here in 17 hours though, the Z1 might even have rings and reddit just lied, idk. I just heard of the sliced foam ring trick and wondered if it was acceptable
>>
>>200145
Can't you just judge the condition and decide then?
Or are you going on a trip asap and this is your only bike
>>
File: 1659509750005107.jpg (16 KB, 288x325)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>A month has gone by and knee pain isn't gone
Its over. The ligament will never recover. Is it better to sell the bike complete or by pieces?
>>
>>200296
Just send it to me, I'll sort it.
>>
>>200296
You doing PT?
>>
File: 1716773828277289.gif (782 KB, 800x600)
782 KB
782 KB GIF
>>200347
Gib address
>>200391
Last year to get a session for the other knee I had to wait more than a month to get one. I just rode knowing the next day I wouldn't be able to flex the knee at all. It took like 3 months to finally not get pain the next day. Tried to do squats the last 2 days but the pain was noticeable this morning
>>
File: PXL_20240608_175555866.jpg (387 KB, 2040x1536)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
Rode the hardtail today at a small park with 2 good trails, but the loops are short and really fun with an easy climb. Nothing difficult, but very fun. Man I love blues, not as thrilling as the stuff I hit last weekend in Santa Cruz >>199685, but just pure fun with an easy climb.
The soil is really dry and cracked. I should switch out the Kryptotals for Wicked Wills for this terrain, I don't need tall knobs.
>>
>>200702
Yeah it's fast and dry out here too. I have to take it easy on the front brake in this terrain.
>>
>>200707
I rode with the Wicked Wills on similar terrain and they're gripping fine but my braking distance increased, I don't know if this will break my ass next time I'm at Lime Ridge.
>>
File: 1716279224162752.jpg (26 KB, 577x532)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
I have damaged myself again lads.

>Decide to enjoy the local Kings Birthday public holiday in the way that he would have intended me to, by riding gnar
>huck4kingchuck.jpg
>Get day pass for the shuttle bus
>Start the first downhill, feeling amazing, everything is just clicking
>Making all the doubles and gaps that I usually take a few runs to warm up to
>Too fast in hindsight
>Way too fast
>Boost and overshoot the landing for a jump
>Badly
>Landed on the upramp of the next jump
>Biggest compression I've ever had
>Front foot basically toe poked my own shin when I landed because the ankle was hopeless to stop the amount of force
>Flag the bus down, shuttle driver keks at me hobbling around not even 300m down the trail, drives me back down to the trailhead
>Somehow drive myself back to town
>Perform the world's worst reverse parallel park with a busted ankle operating the clutch, fuck knows how I didn't hit the other cars
>Limp into the emergency room again, got the same nurse as I had last time
>Groundhog day
>Somehow didn't obliterate the titanium hardware that was installed in the bones in February
>Two weeks off work letting the ligaments and tendons heal up
>Moonboot for a week

Such is life. How was your weekend anons?
>>
File: 20240609_182415.jpg (903 KB, 1200x1600)
903 KB
903 KB JPG
>>201018
Damn son you need to chill, gotta not let the adrenaline make you skip the warmup. At least it's only 2 weeks.
I crashed a couple times this year and decided no more. My body can't sustain it, so I've been more careful.

This weekend I attempted and failed to bleed my brakes. I must have gotten air in the system and made it worse. Hopefully tonight I can try again and do better.
>>
>>201018
2 weeks off the bike aswell?
Ligaments/tendons take much more time to heal. Mine haven't after a month. Prolly just skill issue but I don't like doing jumps trails like that. Too much send and you endup right at the compression like you did. At least on more natural trails speed is natural and jumps are safer even when oversending.
>>201035
>This weekend I attempted and failed to bleed my brakes. I must have gotten air in the system and made it worse. Hopefully tonight I can try again and do better.
>shimano brakes
>pink oil
Nigga, just sell the oil and buy >picrel. Easier and more effective bleeding due to lower viscosity, better performance( no Wandering bite point) due to same reason.
>>
>>200144
>>200146
It turns out reddit was just lying, I should’ve suspected it from the start. Z1 comes with foam rings (but wow I’ve never seen more grease-logged foam in my life)
>>
>>201035
Judging by how I was feeling, I think even if I warmed up properly, it still would have been a day where an accident would have occured due to speed. Me and a mate have been talking about how we actually need bigger and faster tracks than our local ones for this exact reason, we're overshooting jumps and landing to flat more often than ever. I wish Maydena could be open year round.
Nice bike by the way
>even the zipties are black.
Bleeding is a dog, one of my least favourite wrench jobs.

>>201039
No one mentioned anything about bikes, so I'll do the same as last time, spin bike>bike up and down the street>jibbing >easy trails>blues>blacks.
I don't think it's a skill issue, if you can jump a tabletop, you can jump a gap, more a speed check issue. I will say my landing was immaculate because I a) didn't get eaten by the rear wheel and have my nuts crushed b) didn't get coathangered by the bars, so the small victory here is knowing that I have subconscious aerial control of my body to land both wheels consecutively and keep centred on the bike.

>I paid $$$ for my brakes, using them to speed check would only diminish their value

I think I'll ease up over winter and ride the hardtail, force myself to ride properly and think about what I'm doing.
>>
We out here
>>
>>201096
Is that a trail in the back? Did you ride it? I always see trails like that when driving around and I always wonder if I can ride it
>>
>>201097
Yes there is an extensive singletrack trail system through the foothills my area but it doesn’t get that gnarly (pic related and >>199714 are about it, some smooth jumps though), so I got a gravel bike specifically to spice things up when my aggressive hardtail and enduro bike are just craving way more than the trails can give me. The bike park at the top of the mountain has been delivering the past few years though, there’s a fun loose natural-focused expert area with tons of lines and features, but they seem to be opening late this year
>>
>>201018
>landed on the upramp of the next jump
Holy fuck dude, you must've took that shit to the moon. Respect the send.
>>
Went for a ride for the first time in 2 weeks after being sick yesterday, probably one of the longest times I've not ridden in a couple years since my last injury. Felt super weird having to get used to processing information and going fast again as my first couple of runs felt like warp speed, even though I was going significantly slower than usual. After I was back in the groove of things, I felt pretty good but was definitely missing that extra 10% you get from riding frequently. Unfortunately, the weather forecast for the next week or so is rain which I'm not exactly thrilled about considering we had the wettest winter on record and then the hottest may on record which made the local trails turn to dust. I guess its back to riding slop, sketchy roots and washing my bike and riding gear outside after every ride again.
>>201035
Are those tektro brakes? From a quick search they seem to use the same/similar procedure as sram with 2 syringes. I do not envy home mechanics having to squid themselves across their bike to try and bleed their rear brake with 2 syringes coming from someone who has only ever used and bled shimano brakes.
>>201096
I kinda hate that I like the look of this bike, kinda some weird gravel/touring/mtb. Do you use it as a kind of do it all bike?
>>
>>201142
I use it as a light-duty mountain bike basically. I don’t know where quality gravel roads are (that don’t just lead to mtb trails) or I would try some long flat gravel rides, and I did try a short stint of road biking on 32mm tires but it’s just not as fun as dirt so I basically gave up on road. The rack has really not been used at all but I hope to take this bike on multi-night trips with ultralight camping gear so that’s what it’s for
>>
>>201143
I've been looking at doing some cycle touring for summer and this is kind of similar to something which I would want along with panniers and a front handlebar bag. I'd probably forgo the front suspension fork and dropper but otherwise that's sort of what I would like to build for riding on roads/fireroads. I've used an old city bike before, but it's just not comfortable for going long distances consistently. Nice bike, Anon.
>>
>>201142
Welshman, did you fug the sheep?
>>
File: IMG-20240613-WA0001.jpg (115 KB, 1080x1093)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>201132
https://youtu.be/SMzg1KNuezc?si=cTA7IWsobB7OIAXj
At 0:55 of this video (not me), you can see a tree stump on the left of a gapped stepdown. That's the jump what I've oversent.

>Where's my Redbull helmet for sendititude
>>
>>201157
Am Norf so I do not have the desire to, just went riding there a couple weeks ago.
>>
>>201142
>Are those tektro brakes? From a quick search they seem to use the same/similar procedure as sram with 2 syringes.
Where'd you find that? The instruction manual for my brakes says to do a syringe at the bottom and a tube to a bucket or bag at the top (lol?). I used a funnel at the top since it seems less messy.

I've been putting off trying again because it's so intimidating and I have to clean everything again. But Saturday and Sunday I have nothing else to do so I'm gonna fuck this duck
>>
He's so comically TINY. How does he ride 29s over boulders. I'm 5'9 and 29ers rub my ass when I lean back
>>
>>201240
It's one of his hacks.
>>
>>198870
Multiool recommendations? I ride DJ so I'm looking for a few different allen wrenches, a crank wrench, and chain breaker. Everything I can find is for BMX and comes with a big and dumb 17 ratchet
>>
>>201273
What’s a crank wrench? What’s a 17 ratchet? How have you not seen a crank bros M19? I recommend blackburn wayside
>>
File: VW.jpg (698 KB, 1060x1440)
698 KB
698 KB JPG
Camille Balanche got replaced. Veronika is now the DHWC qt.
>>
>>201273
17 is for the nuts on your nutted axles
I think your pedals take a 6 or 8mm allen, 6 on the 1 bolt sprocket.
Your cranks probably use a similar type if it's a splined 3 piece crank with the big splines.
>>
>>200296
Ligaments take a ton of time to heal. When Ive got Achilles tendonitis into both of my legs, it took about 5 months for me to run again, and about 13 for pain to completely disappear.
Supplement collagen and protein, do some light stretching amd you will heal.
>>
>tfw no gf who will wait for me after smoking my ass on the downhill
>>
File: PXL_20240615_150124114.jpg (2.84 MB, 4080x3072)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
Saw this rock formation yesterday while I was riding the hardtail and it's indisputable proof that aliens are real. There is no way humans could have built this.
Have you guys encountered proof of extra terrestrials or ancient civilizations while out riding?
>>201281
She's cute, I hope she likes beans who have expensive bikes but suck at riding them
>>
I feel… the need… to buy shit
But all my bikes are pimped out and I don’t even know what I would get. 4-piston gravel brakes? MTB power meter? Coil fork conversion on the hardtail? All 3 of my bikes just kick too much ass the way they are
>>
>>201450
As someone with 6 bikes, the urge is almost impossible to fight but there comes a point where you just can't keep making space for more bikes.
>>
File: images (57).jpg (42 KB, 449x683)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>201427
Pic related

>>201450
I know this feeling, I too, have shiny kit syndrome.
Last week I saw a Lyrik Ultimate 2.1 online for $600aud, so now that turned into ferreting around all my spares to make the hardtail frame I have a permanent fixture. It's now turned into a $600+$700 adventure for all the shit I didn't have spare (cranks, nice pedals, 2.6 rear tyre, misc bolts and spacers, seatpost, front rim for the spare hub)
Not only is it n+1, but it's become bicycle mitosis lmao.
>>
>>201451
I’m not including my road bike which I refuse to upgrade nor my 90’s bike which already has $800 of shit on it, I have them all split between the garage, my bedroom, and my dads garage, no worries about space I’ll downgrade to a full size mattress if I have to
>>
File: 1630012963918.jpg (137 KB, 1024x1022)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>201450
You could buy yourself a vacation to a nice place to ride your bikes
>>
>>201466
That’d be sick but I can’t buy someone who can plan that all out for me, best I can do is pull up trailforks and point at a dense cluster of trails and hope there’s a cheap hotel nearby
>>
>>201466
That's my plan. I got a much higher paying job last year and that was my plan for this year, but my company is slow with giving me vacation time. It's not all bad, there is more riding within 2 hrs of driving than I can do in a lifetime.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tigbxbtw-VE
I need whatever he is having for breakfast.
>>
>>201473
There absolutely are people who do that and set up biking adventure trips, you're not wealthmaxxing boomermaxxing enough
>>
File: 1715099256575593.webm (3.92 MB, 1080x1136)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB WEBM
>>201536
>I need whatever he is having for breakfast.
My guess would be an omelette du fromage
>>
File: IMG20240618213007.jpg (2.42 MB, 4080x3072)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
She'll be back together this weekend
>11 weeks
The longest I've been off since getting bitten by the MTB bug 2 years ago
Already got a last trip to Rotorua planned
>>
File: 171847103890974985.jpg (432 KB, 1920x1920)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
My cheapo Da Bomb rear hubs inner housing failed on me and while I was able to get warranty on it, I decided to just sell it and upgrade and get some DT Swiss 350.
My LBS though offered me for around 100 dollars more to get a pair XM1700 wheelset for a total of $400.
I thought about biting the bullet and getting it but decided not to as I found out the 350 hub used on the wheelset is a straight pull and it uses 28H instead of 32H
Am i being irrational in wanting 32H and j bend spokes? I dont plan on doing any wheel building, but I think 32H is better for durability (me and my bike + gear weigh something like 140kg (270lbs)) and id argue j bends would just be more conveninent in the long run.
>>
>>201820
Straight pull is fine, and yeah you should probably insist on 32h if you’re like 230+. It’s carbon rims where spoke count doesn’t really correlate to strength anymore
>>
>>201820
recommended System weight max. 120 kg
Found on the dt swiss xm1700 website, and that includes bike, rider, and gear.
So go for a heavier duty wheelset. Unless you are doing lower demand riding, like gravel or easy xc.
>>
File: 1667235175568592.jpg (415 KB, 2160x1211)
415 KB
415 KB JPG
>>201820
> like 140kg (270lbs))
Dayum, are you're cranks bent? I've unironically seen this on a poor bike some hambeast was abusing
>>
File: 1666989918930846.png (317 KB, 976x549)
317 KB
317 KB PNG
>>201851
Your*
>>
>>201851
No idea about him, but I have been okay with a system weight similar.
Admittedly that's on my 40lb bike and 10lbs of clothes+camelback+tools+water
>>
File: 1651819605708.png (374 KB, 610x715)
374 KB
374 KB PNG
>>201820
>140kg (270lbs))
I'd avoid the cheap DT swiss wheelsets in general. My hardtail came with some M1900s back in 2016 and the pawls in the rear hub shredded in about a season and a half of riding. There were also some pretty bad flat spots on the rims in the short time I used them. For reference, I weigh 165 lbs
>Am i being irrational in wanting 32H and j bend spokes?
J-bend vs straight pull doesn't really matter. 32H will be stiffer than 28H, but strength will depend more on the rim and how evenly tensioned you keep the spokes. Given your weight, I'd go with an enduro or downhill rim regardless of what sort of riding you'll be doing
>>201861
Shiet, we have some chunky monkeys ITT
>>
>>201835
Yeah I saw that too which prompted my thinking for wanting a 32H hub version. Its kind of funny that DT swiss touts this wheelset for all mountain when I think having 28H is a serious oversight, espeicially when folk will do some jumping on them.
>>201851
My bikes been fine so far this is the first major issue ive gotten in around 1000km. The hub failure itself was the inner housing bent (woth 1 crack) in places where the pawls would engage. My weight on those uphills probably killed that thing. Im essentially the same as this guy >>201861 I weigh somewhere around 225lbs, but have a heavy bike around 30 - 40lbs and then gear at around 10 - 15lbs
>>201869
I think the XM1700 are considered high end, they retail for somewhere aroind $900 so they should be fine, the wheelset really is just a 350 and a rebranded ex 511 which are both proven.
>>
yeh I’m kind of a big deal
>>
File: 1669243634647205.jpg (44 KB, 500x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>201884
Climbing, road strip or a 12min DH run?
>>
Does insurance even cover "oops I left it outside" situations? Especially the parts part, say you installed new carbons wheels. Would they cover that aswell or just the MSRP of the bike.
>>
>>201915
Homeowners insurance does cover theft and you can pay a small extra fee to itemize your bicycle (a high risk item) and have 100% msrp coverage for whatever parts are on it if it is stolen. If you use it, you probably will get fucked on excessive renting fees or be forced to pay mandatory high-risk renters insurance for the foreseeable future
>>
>>201905
Top of the chairlift to the bottom, single black to double black to single black, and people race at this bike park all the time.
Honestly, I’m kinda disappointed, I’m NOWHERE near nailing that set of trails, if I actually hit the features I could probably cut off lots of seconds just like that.
>local fast guy in #1 is THREE MINUTES faster
>>
>>201920
How many other people on the segment?

Also I got tired of fucking around trying to true my brake rotors after I got them slightly warped out of the packaging. So I went to harbor freight and spent the $30 for this and a stand for it
>>
File: IMG_20240624_013101.jpg (1.55 MB, 1440x1080)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>201624
First ride ended up being after a big trail running race, it was just clay and slurry covered in footprints.
Feels very strange after 6+ weeks of riding a bmx almost daily. It's about the same weight but twice the size and has squidgy bits that move when I move
>>
>>202026
Is it just me who dislikes curves on bike frames? I love the sharp lines of a mondraker.
>>
>>202093
I like industrial 2000-2010 designs....
For me? it's the marin quad dh
>>
I like the loud graphics on pre-2019 bikes. I don't know why bikes are trying to look all formal now and hide their decals. My EVIL Wreckoning is matte black and all the decals on it are small and hidden. My friend's Special Ed Stumpjumper EVO is matte black and only says S-WORKS on the downtube in gloss black. At least gravel and road bikes are still keeping it loud
>>
File: 1685761690826330.jpg (1.16 MB, 3276x2224)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>198870
what gearing should I do to convert my verde cadet to trail riding/dirt jumping? also what tires and should I install an e-brake? will post picture later when I get to work. scooby dooby bikerooni
>>
File: dtpiss.jpg (377 KB, 1443x1080)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
Never build wheels with the aluminum dtswiss nipples.

After less then one season they are cracking apart this is the third instance this happened to me

and also fuck tubless for having to get everything covered in that shit
>>
>>201451
I'm so jealous. Apartment living sucks for this hobby. I have 2 bikes and really want a 3rd. I need a shed or garage. And a van.
>>
>>202093
I like not busting my nuts on my frame due to my stubby legs
>>
File: 20240626_135723-min.jpg (1002 KB, 3024x4032)
1002 KB
1002 KB JPG
>>201820
I have also recently learned the hard way that you should service hubs more often. My spank hex hub decided that they wanted to no longer retain the pawls as they had severely bent the freehub shell itself (see the 10, 12 and 2 o'clock position on the right freehub mainly). I tried to bend the shell itself back (you can vice clamp marks) which worked for a couple extra months, but it ended up giving out and was just a liability. Ended up buying a steel freehub from Italy as it was one of the only places which actually shipped to the UK, hopefully this one lasts longer as it should be significally stronger. I do think it was partly user error for not servicing it more often (I did once in October last year), however I think that their labyrinth seal design is a bit crap and isn't very effective at stopping ingress.
Next time I get a new bike and a new set of wheels are required I'm going to get a dt swiss style rachet hubs as they are so much more robust.
>>202147
I don't even understand why DT or any wheel company gives you alloy nipples with their rims, the weight penalty for brass nipples is negligible in total system weight and they are so much stronger and reliable, they could just add on a £1 to their rim or wheel cost and make it so that no one has to deal with shit like that. I also like your Knolly :)
>>
File: 1675191131940032.gif (230 KB, 220x221)
230 KB
230 KB GIF
>>202448
Well, I'm gonna check my HEX hubs aswell. When wad the last tine you serviced,checked the hubs before finding that shit. In a month it's gonna be 1 years after getting them.
>>
File: 20240614_190332-min.jpg (784 KB, 3024x4032)
784 KB
784 KB JPG
>>202452
Started using them around dec 2022/jan 2023 so had a uk winter, spring and summer of riding on them before I serviced them in october regreasing the pawls, springs and axle. In april one of the pawls fell out of its locating area on a ride, when I got home and took it apart it looked pretty similar to that photo now, there wasn't really any dirt ingress but the pawls and springs looked corroded/stained which I'm certain is from water. At the time bending it back kinda worked but the aluminium is so soft that it probably bent back pretty much instantly the next time I rode it.

I think what fucked it was one time this winter the freehub essentially froze on a ride as it sounded like half of the pawls were engaging which could have put unnecessary stress on the shell. I never ended up taking it apart because when I got back from my ride I was freezing and then forgot about the issue the next time I rode.
>>
File: IMG-20240629-WA0001.jpg (2.35 MB, 1836x3264)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
Committed to the rain ride today, right or wrong.
Covered in mud from head to toe, rode through a waterfall, had a fucking blast.
No one at the park, me and the shuttle bus driver vibed all day, it was sick.

Hope everyone else has an as awesome weekend.

Captcha: SWAY
>>
former pro-bmx, haven't ridden a bike full time in years. hit a couble of blacks and blues on steep downhill trails on an older (yeti 757 with fox suspension) full suspension bike. at first was super unsure about what to do, it poured rain and our trails are insanely root heavy. by the end i was comfortably hitting gaps and bridges, but not a lot of the bigger jumps. still completely ignorant on a lot of MTB stuff but it felt great to get air again. thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>>202785
yeti 575*
>>
Posting my bike. Love it. Does the job
>>
>>201096
>>201098
>>201143
Best bike ITT
>>
File: 20240701_180241_HDR.jpg (1.65 MB, 1920x1440)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>Completely empty trails on one of the busiest holidays in this country
Comfy. How was your ride this weekend, anons?

>>202785
>former pro-bmx
Based. Sounds like you'd have a good time on bike park jump trails
>>202799
Checked and based
>>
File: 1713047558879236m.jpg (56 KB, 988x1024)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
I'm back. 2 months and a missed mass start race later. Went for a DH run without much pedaling other than the road part. I have a bit of discomfort on the ITB but nothing debilitating. It rained yesterday evening and with the sun in the morning the soil had to be loamy, it was. Unfortunately trail builders redirected a section for the race, it seemed it just passed around a really sketchy but fun steep chute but instead the bastards went straight through the middle of the chute putting several vertical logs to support a shitty berm that will flood with rain. You can't even take the old section due to the berm. I'm gonna see next time if with enough riding across it i'll be able to make a hole and restore the section to the way nature and God intended. It would be ok if the section was felt natural but it was just manmade with shitty 90° berms that just make you lose speed. I really don't know.
>>
File: 20240504_091839.jpg (116 KB, 674x898)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>202497
chuck that shit and get a 350 classic hub, no meme stuff like i9 or onyx
>pic unrelated
>>
>>202922
Before this I had some older DT rims and 240 hubs I'm pretty sure, ended up replacing them because the bearings in all of them were shot, the freehub body was mangled from the cassette and both wheels were buckled from a crash. I got both rims for £30 each, a pro 4 front hub for £60 and then I only got the spank hex hub because It was on offer half price for £90. Along with £30 for sapim spokes, the total came out to £240, besides the freehub shitting itself everything else has been flawless with no rim dings and still running true. I did look at 240's/350's at the time but they were practically double the price of the spank and I would probably also buy the 54 tooth rachet ring which would further increase the cost. I guess I'm paying for it now.
I would never buy an i9 due to their incredible design of using a flexible aluminium axle to engage more than 1 tooth at a time which destroys bearings along with shearing the axle for meme engagement.
>>
Does anyone here do rapids rowing? Descending a river by kayak seems like the watersports equivalent of mountainbiking, so I'm curious if there is any overlap.
>>
>>202497
yeah, water doesn't fuck around. Trapped, freezing water can fuck up aluminum easily,.
>>
Narrowed down the cracking to potentially coming from the CSU in the fork.
Was recommended to try with a spare fork or one borrowed from a friend.
I don't have either of those :(
>>
File: 20240428_130038.jpg (176 KB, 674x898)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>202952
csu creak is common and once you have it replaced it is very unlikely to creak again if a new one is fitted with the proper loctite
>>
>>202952
Try loctite 638, 640, 680 whatever is less viscous first dude. Remove the crown race and apply it, try to bend it so it seep through. Wait and redo. Also from the bottom and stanchions. If not you are fucked and will be a riding kitchen with all that noise
>>
>>202928
Yes, though I rarely do it anymore after going all in on bikes due to the lack of control you have in comparison to mtb. Like this anon said >>202943
>water doesn't fuck around
>>
NewFrents, is there any type of file you share for the beginners who want to get into it?

If not, then what entry level bikes would you recommend? The bike i will probably have to sell it in a year or so, since i will inevitably move from this place. So i was thinking somewhere along 300-500 budget is fine? I have found some options but i am clueless when it comes to brands.

Second concern is what type of protection do i need? I was thinking of buying a full face helmet and a pair of goggles since that seems to be covering all the important spots. Then what else? Kneepads? What about the torso? Boots?

I don't plan to go down the hills while i am on high on superfast juice, at least not for a while. Thank you in advance.
>>
>>202928
I hate water, it’s wet, it’s cold and it gets everywhere
Now paragliding with a mountain bike, that’s an idea
>someone’s custom moulton mountain bike that breaks down and fits into a paragliding backpack
>>
>>202999
300-500 gets you basically nothing as far as new mountain bikes go, the minimum price for “safe and basic” new really starts at 500-600 imo and is more like 600-1000 for something you won’t want to replace immediately. I can see why youre having troubles with brands since $300-500 mountain bikes barely even exist; I know Costco sells Northrock bikes for $300-500 and I’ve seen them in person, they’re actually very acceptable, but if I was you I’d wanna push your budget up a little more to $1000 if possible, there’s a lot more options from real bike brands at that price
And yeah, full face if you don’t expect to do a ton of pedaling (or get a $30 half-shell helmet too to have options), kneepads are good, goggles/glasses whichever you prefer, gloves are important, and also stiff shoes that grip your spikey pedals well (you can get away with some non-mtb shoes, but the right kind of shoes make all the difference in ride feel, toe protection is just a bonus)
>>
>>203007
I have been looking into some brands and yes, even if it is an entry bike 300$ get me nothing. Budget isn't a problem, i want something that will not break midway and toss me off the map. Let's say with a budget of 500-600, what used bikes can i go for? I have found some models from the brands in OP but i really have no clue when it comes to geometry, weight, suspensions and so on.

The only reason i have troubles and i am not heavily investing here is because i doubt i will be able to enjoy the bike next year..
>>
>>203008
Forgot to add. I found myself a Trek Marlin 5 from 2019 at 350$ but i don't have the choice to inspect it. One of my concerns here is that this bike is 29 inches, is this size proper for a 6 ft man?
>>
>>203011
6’ is solidly within large sized bike frames (but obviously check with the manufacturers recommendation), and you usually only see the smaller rear wheel on extremely small sizes or on extremely long-travel rear suspension, you won’t have butt buzz problems on any hardtail bike as a 6’ man
>>
>>203008
At that price you want a hardtail (front suspension fork, but no rear suspension) and if possible you want the fork to be air-adjustable, rockshox if you can swing the deal but most likely suntour at that price (check if it’s air-adjustable, the coil suntours suck). Geometry shouldn’t be a big concern at that price point and when limited to hardtails, at best you can decide XC (more efficient, less forgiving) vs Trail (less efficient, safer downhill) geometry and leave it at that.
If you want full suspension, used and at that price point, you’re probably gonna be looking at OLD bikes so you wouldn’t really have room to be picky about geometry there either
>>
>>203011
The wheelsize is what’s 29” if you didn’t already know, a normal inch-sized bike frame (which is an outdated way to size bikes) is normally around 17-19 inches seattube length for large sizes, a “29 inch frame” would be insanely huge
>>
File: IMG_20240703_163727.jpg (260 KB, 1168x1343)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>198870
>Be me
>Bought a Cannondale superV
>It looks rad, like ketchup and mustard
>Got to ride a bike with a dropper post
>Want to put a dropper post on the fucking superV
>My multi tool rusted from sweat going through my shoulder bag

What has it come to, anons? How do I route a cable without attaching it to the frame or going into it?
And do I need a shock pump?
>>
>>203018
my first idea for cable routing is to remove that middle section of that cable guide on the frame and then drill into the two outer tabs so it can hold 3 cable housings with a zip tie. I guess you are in the unique position of being able to use a regular dropper with the actuator at the bottom. Take some measurements and compare with 27.2 seatposts, they only come in 100-120 ish drop but are still fairly long so I honestly doubt one will even fit. Also it's a Cannondale so God knows if the seatpost is even 27.2, if it's smaller it's already a no go
>>
>>203018
Fully housed external-routed dropper ziptied to wherever works is this even a question
>>
>>203030
Fully enclosed cable ziptied to the frame until it gets to the dropper.

It doesn't even matter how you route it
>>
File: cycletech nova pro.jpg (1.31 MB, 2000x1500)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>202999
Checked trips.
>If not, then what entry level bikes would you recommend?
If you're a total beginner, and you're not going to have the bike longer than a year, a 90s mtb that's in good condition would be fine. I used a bike that was 30 years old at the time that I got for free for my first year of riding trails, and had a blast. I still use it from time to time for the novelty of it (pic rel)
>Second concern is what type of protection do i need?
Halfshell helmet and gloves are all you really need for beginner trails. Some riding glasses could be nice for keeping wind and brush out of your eyes if you're sensitive to that. Full face helmets and goggles only work for going downhill since they're too stuffy to ride at slower speeds in. Padding would also be overkill for beginner trails, but if you're particularly concerned there are thin knee and elbow pads you can buy.
>>203018
>Dropper post on 90s mtb
I think it would be pimp if you went with a more period specific part like a hite rite
>>
>>202999
My first time riding was on a rental bike with basically nothing but water and helmet and I was fine. You'll figure out what you need as you keep riding.
>>
File: horny.jpg (71 KB, 720x887)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>201281
> posts bikini pic on ig stories
> everything below her collarbone is submerged in water
She's my age and Italian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWUWoJG3rT4
>>
File: 1669146224285908.gif (99 KB, 425x301)
99 KB
99 KB GIF
Any recommendations for good cycling glasses? I'm tired of flies and dirt flying into my eyes
>>
Anyone has any knowledge about Sunn '22 tox bikes? I am about to go and check one out. The guy is listing it for 520eu, from the videos and the photos it looks alright just a few scratches here and there. I doubt it is worth that much, a new one is around 450eu but it has tubeless tires. What price range should i try to negotiate to, if all else are perfect.
>>
>>203084
Also a cube '22 analog at 650. How much can i lower the price?
>>
>>203084
Where abouts in europe are you buying and where are you looking? For that price I'm sure there are better deals out there, those seem quite expensive for what they are.
>>
File: 1671941691735551.jpg (157 KB, 1001x1055)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
https://streamable.com/9r1mna
The absolute crime they did on the trail. Went from a barely controllable sliding into a drop trail to a flat as a pancake walmart xc trail.
>>203008
>i doubt i will be able to enjoy the bike next year..
It'll become an addiction
>>
>>203081
i use smith shift mag, really nice glasses just kinda spendy.
>>
>>203008
Old man who rides old bikes here. Just get something. I started off with an old hardtail that was 15 years old when I started. As I kept up with it and as my dad rode with the club he got me and himself some of the latest era 26in xc and trail bikes around 2011 or so. I still ride those bikes today, admittedly I don't ride 5 days a week anymore but if I want to do some mtbing that isn't black tier I take those out.

Look for decent parts, with a design you like. Get it, and ride your easy trails. You will know pretty quick whether you want to keep doing it or not.
>>
>>198954
>xtrada 7 has an air fork
This 100%. Also thru-axles not QRs.
Got my son the 6 because they didn't have the 7 in stock, it's been a great bike. He's on full sus now, but we both still use it regularly.
The axle thing isn't an issue on it's own, but when you're on the scrounge for a spare wheel it's a pain in the ass having something that won't fit anything else. (QR with boost spacing, it's kind of an orphan, at least in my garage.)
The shocks on the 6 are just decoration really - I knew I'd be replacing them immediately, but you gotta have a new bike on your birthday.
>>
Pretty epic ride the other day.
It's actually an easy track. What made it epic was confusing the last ¼ or so of this with some other track I did years ago - this was totally unrideable and pushed and carried for miles because I was sure that it became a virtual highway "probably right around the next corner" ha ha fucksake.
Nice trip though. Coppermine Trail with a detour to Rocks Hut for the night. Will do it again as I have a score to settle with the resident possum, but definitely leaving bikes a the saddle next time.
>>
>>203085
>cube '22 analog at 650
Considering that's almost the price of the new model on some sites, you can definitely try to negotiate the price down. I got my Cube 2021 Acid last year for the same price, so roughly half of the retail price is a feasible price range
>>
I test rode in the parking lot a couple of bikes at REI a while ago and as a 6' man a 'large' felt dangerously gigantic I had no idea what it was going to do, a medium was still big but at least manageable, is it stupid to buy a 'medium' bike at my size? Does being on an actual trail suddenly require sizing way way way up?
>>
>>203223
im a manlet and large is my daily driver, i think you would be dumb to go medium with your height
>>
>>203223
I am 5'11 and ride a medium from 2009. I like my bikes short, but I have a short torso. The large in a similar bike that my dad rode always seems long for me.
Modern bikes run large and many people like them, but do realize the stems don't have much room to go shorter so if it comes stock with a 60mm stem you can't go much smaller then a 40mm. narrower bars can also reduce the effective reach.

Your call. Luckily modern bikes have super duper low top tubes so most people can fit most the sizes.
>>
>>203223
the idea with longer reaches in modern geometry is that you are more centered over the bike, somewhat counterintuitively giving you far more control than hanging of the back. You'll more than likely have the best time on a Large which is typically ~475mm reach
If you happen to do some looking into this you'll probably find lots of boomer advice and a guy name Lee McCormick telling you to size down, the former being retarded and the latter also being retarded but trying to sell you a book as well
If it feels too big for sitting down and pedaling, slam the seat forward or consider a bike with a steeper seat tube, I can't imagine REI bikes are that great of a deal anyways
>>
File: PXL_20240706_145554224.jpg (1.83 MB, 4080x3072)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
good day of riding. I think the moisture wicking on my goggles is busted. I had sweat pouring down my face as if I just popped my head out of a pool
>>
Decided to tack on the entire perimeter of my city on the end of my trail ride. Good ass Sunday
>>
>2nd win in a row with an obscene time difference
>forgot to check my fantasy team and he got removed

Dakotah Norton btfo by divine intervention, the weather, after getting 1st in qualis AND SEMIS, only a french man can win in Les Gets. He will return with even MORE rise on his bars for the next race to please the old cetic Gods.
>>
File: 1716157474958583.jpg (40 KB, 400x311)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
is 2 hours for a lower leg service a lot of time
>>
>Bought an E-MTB
>Decided to add front and back lights to it via monkeylink
>Manual said to remove the battery, add the lights and insert the battery again
>Did so but now the key I use to lock and unlock the battery is stuck. No matter how I turn or move it, it won't come out again. Can't open the lock for the battery as well.
>And to make things worse, only the back light is working but not the front light.
Did I fuck up my battery lock after my very first time removing the battery?
>>
>>203500
Yes, if you did one you would know it’s like 6 minutes of actual work
>>
File: 20240708_151418-min.jpg (790 KB, 3024x4032)
790 KB
790 KB JPG
Do you guys have specific pivots which chew through bearings? This main pivot on my rocker pivot seems to endlessly go through bearings. So far this year, I've probably ridden about 1300km with about 30,000m of descending and I'm on my 3rd set of bearings there, whereas the chainstays main pivot which is the same design and bearings are still perfectly fine after 2 years and have a much higher potential for contamination/damage. I think I need a spacer/washer between the frame and bearing or bearing and pivot covers along with scraping off that paint which is half scraped off already which should realistically never be there anyway. Everything is torqued correctly as well.
>>203433
I would be utterly mind broken over breaking my neck, I don't get how he is able to send it in those conditions in back to back races just a year after such an injury.
I've picked him every single round so far this year in PB fantasy and he's been paying off well but he's probably going to be too expensive now to have a decent all-round team.
>>203500
Yes
>>
File: 1653877297355.png (14 KB, 948x661)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>203081
For me, it's pit vipers
>>203223
Bike sizing will mostly be down to what feels best to ride for you. If the large feels bad, then it's probably not the right size for you. Fwiw I'm a 180 cm manlet and ride a medium enduro bike and large XC bike from the same brand
>>203320
>I had sweat pouring down my face
Maybe try cutting out the foam near the top of the lens for some extra ventilation (not the part that sits against your forehead)
>>203387
Based
>>203500
>is 2 hours for a lower leg service a lot of time
Checked and yes
>>203576
>Do you guys have specific pivots which chew through bearings?
Nope. Perhaps the linkage is misaligned
>>
>>203500
If it makes you feel any better when i lost my lower leg service virginity it was 3 hours.
>>
>>203081
Regular 3m safety glasses. Or these $20 Amazon glasses

https://www.amazon.com/SCVCN-Photochromic-Cycling-Sunglasses-Accessories/dp/B097T9LS58?pd_rd_w=oda1i&content-id=amzn1.sym.e3825789-e6f0-4fb1-a407-ff4674fea50d&pf_rd_p=e3825789-e6f0-4fb1-a407-ff4674fea50d&pf_rd_r=MP3VB36YHA87775S3BF7&pd_rd_wg=z1gBG&pd_rd_r=9f834688-1994-4cbf-87c9-2394d8c4aa9b&pd_rd_i=B097T9LS58&psc=1&ref_=pd_basp_m_rpt_ba_s_1_sc

>>203500
Not for the first time. Every time after, yes.
>>203576
I think you probably have a misaligned frame
>>
>>203081
>good cycling glasses
A couple of years ago I turned to Ali knockoffs.
Honestly can't tell the difference with the recent ones, and I'm not big sad when I scratch break or lose them after a week as I'm prone to do.
When I find some I really like I order a couple more with the 5-lens sets. Photocromic lenses are great for in/out of bush where I ride.
>>
File: 1656680628547.jpg (43 KB, 631x663)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Took the bmx trail riding today after work while it was raining. Trail was super muddy and the slag rock gravel sections were a little slippery in the sharp turns. But it was a fucking blast. Can't wait until I get my new tires in the mail. I've ridden my current aitken's down to street smooths lol. I was trying to peddle out of some turns and was just spitting mud and missing cranks.

gonna hose down my dirty hog at work tomorrow. fuckin love bikin
>>
>>201018
lmao anon jesus fuck

take like 6 months to a year off of serious riding. it will kill you for a month or two but give a serious break for a while for recovery. If you rush it you won't have a long time in the sport. everyone gets fucked up every now and then. but heal bro get better love you
>>
I am interested in doing jumps and downhill, but I also want to do street trial. Is it possible I could buy a cheap mountain bike without a suspension and modify it for street trial without spending more than $500? I see a decent bike for downhill is over $700 I cannot afford it. I don’t want a trail bike I want to do something extreme.
>>
File: 1662927636557685.jpg (39 KB, 646x960)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Is having a go pro really worth it? I see the hero 11 is at 300yuros but I've lately seen alot of shilling for the chink dji action 4 which looks good for 330 yuros and the battery lasts longer than the hero 11. How much do you use them if you have them?
>>
>>203896
why not get a bmx bike and do street trial+jumps.
Then when you get good at skills+have more money get a DH bike?
>>
>>203896
No. 2 comletely different bikes and types of riding. Most you can get is an enduro/am bike and just pump the shocks/fork tmfor a solid feel but they'll not be under 1000 bucks. Unless very used.
>>
>>203900
Because I don’t see adults ride BMX and I don’t want parents giving me the evil eye
>>
>>203902
Normal adults also shouldn't be posting on 4chan, but here we are.
You'll get the stinkeye regardless of if you gap a stair set on a bmx or a downhill bike, it's not the bike they're hating on in that situation lmao.
Get a DJ bike. They're like a small hardtail and have park/downhill flow trail capabilities, as well as having the stunt capacity for street. Added bonus they don't look like a child's sized bike. Extra bonus is they are plentiful and don't cost a bucketload.
>>
>>203906
I can’t find a DJ for under $800 and I would modify it for street trial if I found a cheap one.
>>
>>203907
Well damn nigga I'm here offering solutions and you're just coming back to me with more problems. Deliver some more newspapers or short GME stock, whatever, keep saving your pennies and keep looking for an appropriate bike.
>>
>>203909
How can people afford $1,000 for a bicycle when a week worth of groceries is over $140 for offbrand slop.
>>
>>203910
Once you trash enough bad mountain bikes you will get something that can stand up.
Good luck, because I don't think you have the balls to do street trials if you are worried about evil eye, and muh scary adults on bmx.
>>
>>203913
There he is the town pedophile at the children’s skate park. Great image.
Sounds like I can’t afford extreme sports. I will stay inside in the cool air and play video games.
>>
>>203910
Budgeting. I spend $70 a week on groceries. Looking at your mindset of thinking off brand=slop and also struggling to save $1000 tells me that you don't have very good decision making skills. And $100 a week on bikes is not very much. Save up for 3 months and you have just saved $1000 for your new bike

Save $100 a week from that grocery budget and you can buy a brand new $5000 bike every year
>>
>>203917
All I eat is hamburgers, hot dogs and bologna. I’m not spending money on fancy food. I also don’t have enough for 3 meals a day. I have bills that are expensive.
>>
>>203914
no balls
>>
>>203927
no money
>>
>>203910
Rent is $600, bills are $200 and I steal food from work constantly. $1500 a month can be mtb richfag territory if you live an incredibly boring life otherwise
>>
>>203952
So if I somehow did get the money, would a specialized rockhopper elite work for trials too? I want to do trials style riding at some point but I don’t want to buy a trials specific bike because they are expensive and have tiny frames.
>>
File: 1704743615073575.png (520 KB, 568x474)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
>>203898
>Is having a go pro really worth it?
>How much do you use them if you have them?
Can be nice for memories of trips to cool riding spots, or memorizing lines for racing. So I'd say I use it on maybe 1% of my rides, and it's not really worth it outside of those situations. It can make a nice camera you don't need to worry about breaking at parties as well.
>>203910
This was from before covid hyperinflation, but I could afford multiple nice bikes while living off a poverty-tier $20k/year cucknadian (~$15k real dollars) in grad school.
>>203959
>specialized rockhopper elite work for trials too?
I don't see why not - any bike is a trials bike if you use it for trials. You might also want to look into a used 26er hardtail. It'll have nice short chain stays for trials, and you can likely find a good one for dirt cheap. Otherwise any hardtail with a low top tube and short chain stays would work fine and be pretty cheap.
>>
>>203960
Is a 26” frame for trials a good idea if I’m 6’5?
>>
>>203962
>Is a 26” frame for trials a good idea if I’m 6’5?
26" is the largest wheel size that comes on trials bikes. You could try larger if you want, but you might find it gets in the way when you do large moves that you really need to throw the bike around for. Plus, a mtb frame made for 27.5" or 29" wheels will cost more than a 26er frame 99% of the time
>>
File: images (63).jpg (33 KB, 682x450)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>203858
Kek, yea, I've banned myself to the hardtail for the rest of the off season, force myself to think about the risk I'm about to take with no rear suspension.
Thanks for the love brother, I'll be ok, I'm just a slow learner lmao
>>
Scott Aspect 960 for 550$, do you think it is a good deal for a beginner? The more i investigate the bike market the more confusing it gets.
I was looking at GT aggressor, some orbea onna 50, rockhopper and so on, they are all under 700$. But the Scott 960 is ready for the taking so i am pondering on that. Any thoughts?
>>
>>204118
I seriously don't even know why i am wasting so much time on that. On monday i am buying the bike and riding those fucking mountains around my area. Just give me the odds of survival, for the bike though, i don't really care about mine.
>>
>>204118
Get the one you like the look of, ride it for months/a year. Then when things fail either upgrade or get a better bike.
When you start mountain biking anything with grippy tires is enough. You learn quick, crash sometimes, devlop skills, and then enjoy.
All a cheaper bike does is make things more challenging(not a bad thing) or break quicker.

Talk to the bike shop guy to get the lowdown on setup too.
>>
File: 1719226249743291.jpg (195 KB, 919x960)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>try out horizon forza
So one of the things I've learned playing this game is that I love getting my ass kicked and getting better. Obviously in virtualspace that is easy because you can restart in a sandbox environment. What's the best way to get better at MTB irl? Something about learning new skills and getting better makes me hard as fuck, but i know irl will get me killed.
>>
File: PXL_20240713_180815582.jpg (500 KB, 2040x1536)
500 KB
500 KB JPG
>>204196
You ride with skilled people and maybe even ride with coaches. They'll teach you the techniques necessary to get through trails and features. The hard part is overcoming the survival instinct and just trusting in the bike and the technique.

I got really good at driving because I play Dirt Rally in VR with a G29. I wish I had something that could replicate the experience of riding my motorcycle and mountain bikes but there just isn't because the technique is in the body movement. You need to practice and learn from people more experienced than you. Sure, a steep descent is fucking terrifying at first but when you learn the proper body positioning, and how to use your brakes on steeps without going over the bars, the fear goes away and then you use your brakes less and less.
>>
File: 1703484846077116.png (96 KB, 796x588)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>204197
I guess life is a skill and it must be practiced. I feel like a vagabond finding skilled people to teach me things now. I can feel things again. I feel alive.
>>
How much tubeless sealer are you faggots using in your wheels? I can't totally remember how much I put on originally, but I'm thinking around 30ml. I was out on a hardtail ride yesterday, hit a big fuckin rock in the middle of a rock garden and dented my rim, took a big chunk out of my insert too. So the tire started leaking at the bend in the bead (expected) but also out 4 or 5 spoke holes adjacent to the bend. I tried rolling the wheel round at different angles, holding it above my head etc. To try get the sealant into the holes and it didn't work. Broke the bead and pulled the insert out and there was basically no sealer in there. Maybe like a thin residue on the insert, inside the Tyre but nothing flowing round inside. Tyre is 29x2.6 schwabble insert is rimpact pro.

I accept I will need to redo the rim tape as well, my question is more related to sealer quantity than the actual circumstance it happened...
>>
File: IMG_20240714_203610.jpg (2.11 MB, 4160x3120)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
>>204196
Riding more frequently is key, as well as what Anon >>204197 said about riding with more skilled people. Talking with people about trails and line choice opens your mind as well.
I've found there to be a lot of carry over from weightlifting sport science, ~70% of your "training"(riding) should be done at 70% of maximal effort. In my head, that means blue trails at moderate pace, moderate intensity. Once a week, go ham on the blacks and difficult trails, that's your 100% intensity and pace, but it's not what you want to be doing to "get better at riding". You'll only get better at surviving those particular trails, with little to no carry over to other blacks and difficult trails.
The short of it is, if you operate at 100% effort, you will not adapt fast enough and end up crashing out.
Operating at a moderate pace, focusing on good riding technique is where it's at, with intermittent challenge. Over time your moderate pace will rise.

On a side note, timing segments or trails every time is pointless, it's like weighing yourself every day to see if you've lost weight. If you just try to push faster and faster, you'll end up like me >>201018. I've learnt my lesson now, and am having fun focusing on riding well, and taking calculated risk on the hardtail. The hardtail is now my best friend because it rewards me for good riding skills, and punishes me for poor choices, whereas the spirit of the DH bike demands blood and flesh everytime I touch it lmao

>>204205
I put ~100ml in mine, as per the instructions on the bottle. I usually put a little more than recommended, because it makes me feel better.
>>
>>204208
You got any good books on weightlifting sports science?
>>
>>204209
Not him, but this is classics
>>
Saw an Atherton bike yesterday for the first time and even with the black painted lugs it looked incredibly ugly, I don't even want to think about how bad the unpainted ones look.

>>204196
Ride more often and practice skills you want. So far this summer I've been riding around 10hrs a week, if the weather is good and trails are running well then I'll try to ride quickly near full pace, otherwise if I'm simply not feeling it or its wet/windy then I'll tone it down or ride my hardtail instead of my full sus. Personally I've found that being able to ride more often has made me a lot more comfortable riding at faster speeds and made me know where certain limits are. Maybe also follow someone you meet out on the trails, it's quite interesting to see what lines they take compared to you especially if you have ridden certain trails a lot recently and are glued to certain lines.

>>204205
Whatever the bottle says and then a bit more. Also I'd never fill sealant through the valve as thats just asking for it to be clogged.
>>
File: IMG_20240714_221046.jpg (56 KB, 581x536)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>204209
Depends what you're after. I was a powerlifter before I rode bikes. I really enjoyed Westside style training, hence a few books off the reading list. I have Fundamentals Of Special Strength-Training In Sport, Y.V. Verkhoshansky as well, but that's on loan, that text was revolutionary to sport science.
As far as Westside goes, I find the dynamic squat day with the bands really has a lot of transfer for downhill riding. Bulk time on/time off single arm kettlebell swings is awesome for riding cardio too.
That being said, The Way to Live by Hackenschmidt is 100 years old and has more content to living a healthy existence than any other shit released in the modern age.

>Eat well (meat and vegetables)
>Move often
>Train for strength
>Get sunlight
>Keep good airflow in the home and bedroom
>Bathe regularly

There, now you don't have to read it.
>>
File: 20240714_152034.jpg (2.29 MB, 2764x2073)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
I did the 2nd part of the Megavalanche which is forest riding and arm pump/hand pain is horrible. Those who rawdog the whole race especially the first part which is full of jagged rocks are absolute animals. I only spent the afternoon riding as I overslept but it was enough to leave me with lego hands by the end. Hopefully a lowers service its all what the bike needs to not kill my hands when I go through braking bumps at high speed. The good thing about black trails is that nobody rides them so they are in mint condition. Next time I'll get early and get to pic blanc to do the 1st part of the mega.
>>
File: mx5pool.jpg (115 KB, 613x460)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>204198
Just get out there and ride and be friendly. I make friends all the time when I ride. In fact, the friends I typically ride with are people I met on the trails. Just last week I became friends with and exchanged phone numbers with a guy who coaches a high school MTB team. I know a lot of you fellas on 4chan think you're spergs who can't talk to normies, but it's alright, just talk about mountain biking and the trails you like to ride. Just bee yourself and it'll be ok.
>>
File: 1618232067230.jpg (30 KB, 680x572)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>damper on rear shock blown AGAIN
Where the FUCK can I find a goddamn 200x57mm shock with a piggyback? I'm fucking tired of servicing the piece of shit monarch that came on my bike after every time I take it on a trip to a real mountain
>>204243
>The good thing about black trails is that nobody rides them so they are in mint condition.
A very underrated motivation to improve riding skills. I rarely ever come across other riders at my favorite local trail system, even when the other easier ones nearby are packed.
>>204251
Baste advice. Riding clubs can be good for meeting riding buddies if you're too autistic to approach strangers on the trails as well.
>>
>>204254
Try looking for 7.875 x 2.25 eyelet as well. That's what I fitted to my old giant trance in place of a 200x57 (actually replacing a 200x50 or some shit) to increase the travel to 157mm from 140.

Good luck though, neither is really a common shock size any more.
>>
File: 1659739461985739.jpg (88 KB, 900x600)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>204254
Why not just go coil?
>>
File: 1691359127380575.png (746 KB, 898x909)
746 KB
746 KB PNG
>>204255
>Try looking for 7.875 x 2.25 eyelet as well
Checked, and I already have been, to no avail. Thanks though
>replacing a 200x50 or some shit) to increase the travel to 157mm from 140
I did the same thing to my rsd wildcat. Worst case ontario is I could try another differently sized shock i guess
>>204261
>Why not just go coil?
The problem is the damper keeps blowing. The air spring is fine
>>
>>204302
The problem is your monarch
>>
>>204302
It's a your monarch problem. They are usually very reliable. Also your fault for buying a bike with weird parts
>>
File: kink.jpg (133 KB, 1244x934)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
bought a 2nd bmx for park and street, plus so my gf can ride when we go to the track or park etc. I am like 90% sure it's stolen bc the crackhead was hella sketchy and the bikes in really good condition

what should I do about a click in the front sprocket/chain? when peddling uphill or from a stop. I only got a 100 bucks plus the 11 dollars for new odi grips in the mail. So if I gotta get a new crank, chain, or sprocket or something I'm not that upset. I spent $400 for my verde brand new 6 years ago
>>
>>204376
if the front sprocket is moving you are missing a washer that sits in the sprocket. At least that happened to my bmx cranked dj. Was missing the washer so the chainring wobbled up and down.
It's called a bmx sprocket tophat washer.

Could be unrelated to your issue, just a guess.
>>
File: 1719839771631790.png (947 KB, 900x900)
947 KB
947 KB PNG
>>204214
>>204210
>>204213
>>204251
Thanks lads. God bless.
>>
I'm getting a Scott hardtail with 2x9 soon and I gotta ask. What is the actual intended way to use the front derailleur? Do you just drop it for climbs? I've only ever had a 3x and never really figured this shit out.
>>
File: XCjumps.webm (3.29 MB, 1920x1080)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB WEBM
How was your ride this week anons? Do your xc trail centers have any jumps? The ones here are finally reintroducing them after a nearly 10-year prohibition.

>>204306
Sorry anon, I'm not getting another monarch. People IRL have told me they also had problems with theirs after visits to the bike park.
>>204376
Cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to strip down the cranks, bottom bracket, and associated parts and give em a good cleaning. I've even had dirty pedal threads cause a clicking noise before.
>>204495
>What is the actual intended way to use the front derailleur? Do you just drop it for climbs?
Pretty much. You basically want to drop down in the front if you need to use the easier rear gears so you can keep a decent chain line. Being in the opposite gears front-rear is called cross-chaining if you want to look into it more.
>>
i've got three chainwheels up front, should i just size it down and forget about gear changes at pedal point and worry more about back like most modern bikes?
>>
>>204495
How I use it when mtbing is this.
Big ring on flats, descents, or road work.
Small ring for serious climbing and cruising.
I ride vintage and have a 42/29 on 26in wheels and this is how I do it.

Cross chaining isn't the best but is really more noticeable when you are on the road or doing flat riding.
Just keep your stuff lubed too, that helps.
>>204523
What I did when I rode 3x is middle for most riding, and small for climbs. Big ring for road work.
Since I am too sketched to go big ring +pedalling on descents while offroad.
>>
File: 1672051151425374.jpg (92 KB, 800x450)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
I'm on a bald rear tire and I almost impale myself on a rocky section. And a bit further down the trail I lost control on a slab. Really took me by surprise. Peeled eyes and puckered asshole waiting for an impact which never came. Quite a day to take my halfshell rather than my usual fullface
>>
>>204584
word. I have no tire tread on my dirt jumper and when I go to the track I'm just sliding around. gotta take every turn at the top of the burm almost flying out or I'll lose traction

need to get new tires I just keep forgetting to order them
>>
I bought a tacoma yesterday. I'm a real mountain biker now.
>>
Did an xc race
>>
>>204499
Got a season pass for silverstar this week and rode twice so far. Its hot af (40C today and tmrw) so I'm not even leaving the hotel after work. Fuck that

>>204722
Kek
>>
>>204722
At least you didn't get a 4Runner
>>
File: 20240723_180337.jpg (3.45 MB, 4032x3024)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
>reminds you about the consequences of short sleeves
These bitches leave a rash that itch so much for like 40 minutes after you brush past them. I'll go with a wire cutter next time to get rid of these sumumabitches and I'll drink 3 cans of redbull beforehand so when I pee on the spot nothing will grow for 100 years
>>
File: Kamloops steep thing.jpg (576 KB, 1440x2160)
576 KB
576 KB JPG
>>204722
Checked and based
>>204741
>100km
Dang, that's a long race
>>204743
O shit nice, m8. Not sure if you're from there or just on a trip, but a day trip to kamloops would be worth your while as well
>>204882
Kek, i love car ads made by non-mountain bikers. There's always at least one suv with a walmart special mounted to it at the annual car show here
>>
>>204910
Hot damn I've never seen a roller that vertical you mad bastard
>>
File: 20240720_154506-min.jpg (1.26 MB, 3024x4032)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
Tried performing derailleur surgery over the weekend, trying to cobble together 2 semi-broken derailleurs into one. The sleeve, where the pin for tightening on the rear cage and holding the clutch, was corroded in the derailleur body which has meant that the one which I wanted to fix is basically junk as sanding away the corrosion made the fit and clutch inconsistent. Rather annoying as the current derailleur on my full sus the clutch is also going and most likely has the same issue which I assume is from water ingress from the hole which the spring inside the derailleur latches on. It's not even economical to repair a cheap slx/deore derailleur as parts cost about the same as a new one and it just saves so much faffing buying new. Damn you garbage UK weather.

>>204741
What kind of terrain does a 60 mile and near 10,000 feet of climbing race entail? The most I've ever done on my enduro bike riding fire roads/singletrack and black tech trails was around 25 miles, with 5500 feet of climbing in 5 hours and remember being utterly dead after it.

>>204884
There's gorse bushes along the track I ride to get to my local trails and pretty much every single time I ride past my left arm gets shredded. It really needs pruning but I hate riding with a bag so it's never getting fixed I shall simply live with the consequences.
>>
>>204910
Dayum that's steep. Can you huck it?
>>
>>204935
The terrain is basically the same trails as doing the local two day Enduro race. except you don't get a shuttle to the top and you are timed throughout the entire thing.

There is 12 miles of black tech trail decent, but they are steep enough that you can go mach Jesus over all the roots and rocks. However this is an xc race so the pace on the downhills is pretty relaxed (due to lack of skill of the riders in front of you) as well as being so tired that it feels like you forgot how to ride a bike. so you rest on the descents.

The other decents are blue and green flow trails so you just pedal them with a moderate pace and keep your average speed up.

For the calibre of rider that usually enters its mainly Floridians and roadie's so their technical skills are pretty lacking

https://youtu.be/EogFrJXPa9U?si=Ckg26U8y-ELma3B0

The race is called

ORAMM

Off-road assault on mount Mitchell

If you want to look it up.
>>
>start MTB a few months ago
>loving the DHs, get pretty good at control and carving berms
>know that its about time to learn how to jump
>hit the jump line this time instead of going around
>immediately over rotate the very first jump
>go over the handlebars
>break a rib

i think im finally healed up enough to go back out this weekend and the first thing i wanna do is learn to jump properly. any tips? pissed me off that i broke something on my very first jump because i wanted to just keep trying but instead ended up having to sit on my ass for weeks before i even got the chance to try again.
>>
Do I get extra performance by paying 5 extra yuros more for the dual compound? I've read on MTBR from a couple that shit gets inside and another is a mechanic with tons of lowers done without complaints
>>204982
Can't help, I'm a tech lover(scared of jumps with vertical lips). With the rest just go fast, pull and land flat. Ez.
>>
>>204925
Ye, they love their steep lines out in bc. I almost just rode by that one without noticing it because it's not really an obvious side-hit on an otherwise pretty mellow trail
>>204936
>Can you huck it?
Maybe if you were so inclined, but the run up and transition at the bottom would make it pretty high consequence. Here's a photo from a different angle of another guy hitting it on trailforks https://www.trailforks.com/photo/19376109/
>>204982
>the first thing i wanna do is learn to jump properly. any tips?
Learn to bunny hop, or you will always just be a passenger on your bike on the jump lines. Jumps are basically the same movement, just drawn out over a longer time. You don't need to learn to hop very high, you just need to be able to do the movement without thinking about it. Only other real tip is to go practice, and ramp things up slowly on a low consequence jump line with small tabletop jumps. Recording yourself can help as well
>>205028
Do I get extra performance by paying 5 extra yuros more for the dual compound?
Only if the green color matches your bike's color scheme
>>
>>205034
Thanks. I can already bunnyhop, I'll try to focus on taking that motion to the jump next time
>>
>>205044
Everything I have read said do the same thing. Personally, I recommend finding some local dirt jumps, small, or making your own. I tend to like to spend a 1-2 hours practicing and find that to be a good time for me, much longer and I get tired/bored/etc.
>>
>>205028
You get better performance by doing your lower leg services slightly more often than recommended
>>
File: images (38).jpg (23 KB, 512x512)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>early knock at 1pm
>Home at 1:30pm
>Decide to bed in new pads on the hardtail
>Notice a creak
>Start chasing creak at 1:40pm
>Stem bolts, headset bearings upper and lower, fork crown race, bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, saddle, seatpost all cleaned and re-greased
>Creeeeeeeeak
>Rear axle re-greased because it's the only thing left
>Silence
>4:30pm

At least the rest of the bike has now been maintained, pic related.

>>204936
I'm stealing "Can you huck it?" for the next multimillion dollar MTB slogan and there's not a thing you'll do about it.
>>
Test rode a Trek Top Fuel.
Cornering felt badass, and it had great balance over chunky stuff.
But it fit me like shit. Even with the 170mm dropper (wtf?) changed to a 150mm I still couldn't reach the pedals. But I also felt too constrained by the reach.
Ah well, guess I'll buy a pivot trail 429

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.