[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: logo-defendo.png (44 KB, 800x800)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
I see Defendo places around me, from their descriptions it seems like Krav Maga but with more focus on unarmed fighting, on their website it says their bases are taken from Muay Thai and catch wrestling.
How effective is this? Why would someone learn defendo over just going to a regular old MMA gym?
>>
>>199760
It's more for security work, as far as I've understood it. It's more trying to control the situation until you have the dominant control, and then de-escalation if needed. They at least used to be about control holds, reining someone out of the bar/into the police car/down to the ground, and so on. And not just one-on-one fights, but how to take control of someone if you have a partner on your side.

If the places around you have live resistance training, then go and check them out.
>>
>>199760
>defendo
judging by its name, it is bullshit
>>
>"exotic" inventor/instructor name
>catch wrestling base
>English word with vaugely Asian martial art suffix

How much for his entire VHS catalog?
>>
>>199760
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dc5lixbTus
>>
>>199773
that'll be $499 plus tip
>>
>>199773
What's wrong with catch wrestling?
>>
>>199760
Okay, it's clearly some aikido level bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnwWpLDQRE
>>
>>199797
No one claiming it as a base for something else has ever been telling the truth.
>>
>>199797
There's nothing wrong with catch wrestling as a martial art. The problem is legit catch places are few and far between. There's a lot of weirdos and charlatans who claim catch wrestling backgrounds but have dubious credentials. If they're not from a handful of verified catch gyms, odds are they're grifters or just hipsters.
>>
>>199807
I mean that's true for every style except maybe wrestling.
>>
>>199760
Are the places near you actually Jyrki Saario Defendo, or Canadian Defendo, or Scandinavian defendo, or some other defendo?
For some reason, there's multiple defendo martial arts, that have little to nothing to do with each other.
>>
>>199811
It's actually Jyrki Saario Defendo.
>>
>>199760
>Why would someone learn defendo over just going to a regular old MMA gym?
I don't know. Just learn a combat sport, or at least something that has realistic training and some connection to combat sports (students that compete, coaches that teach students to compete). A connection to competition helps weed out the bullshit, and the types of people attracted to combat sports are more likely to be competent and knowledgeable.
>>
>>199800
>the whole video is just static "demonstrations"
number 1 sign that you're being taught a glorified choreography. OP go learn something better.
>>
>>199760
Anything with as retarded of a name as “defendo” is going to teach something equally retarded. I can’t believe I still have to tell people this in the age of the internet but just learn a legit combat sport and you’ll be far better off than any RBSD LARPer faggot.
>>
>>199815
>>199824
Combat sports are an important aspect of training but if you're not also exploring defense scenarios outside a competition setting and with weapons you're going to have some blind spots.
>>
>>199893
That's a fair point. Not like there's anything wrong with learning that stuff on top of it all. I'm just skeptical that Defendo in particular is the best way to learn defense scenarios or weapons.
>>
>>199894
Jyrki Saario appears to be from a combat sport background so it at least seems plausible that his system could be reasonable. I'm completely unfamiliar with it, however, and therefore share your skepticism.
https://www.defendo-usa.com/about-us/jyrki-saario.html
>>
>>199809
The difference is there's millions of practitioners of other martial arts, but the number of bonafide catch wrestlers numbers in the low thousands at most. Online though it seems like a million from every rando claiming to be a catch wrestler.
>>
So, did OP get some personal experience?
>>
>>203185
No, I just signed up for boxing instead.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.