[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bar_fight-.jpg (73 KB, 960x594)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
I was at a bar and some dude out of nowere headbutted a friend of mine. I stepped in to sepparate them and got shoved by the guy who headbutted him. After getting shoved I froze, I couldnt move, i was afraid and couldnt react.
Up until now i thought i could avoid getting in fights by just being chill. I never thought someone would attack unprovoked.
This made me seriously consider going to a boxing gym. Would this make me not freeze in situations like this? Is boxing a good combat sport to learn to defend yourself? Any anons have had a similar reaction get fixed by training?
>>
Contact martial arts involving grappling or striking will get you used to close physical contact and violence, pain response etc. You will know how vulnerable you or other people are to violence

You will get more confident by being exposed to it
>>
>>199826
You should consider transitioning.
>>
Adrenaline dumping from physical threats tends to go away after awhile with any rough contact sport. Doesn't even have to be combat. Football, rugby, anything along those lines.
>>
>>199841
Kill yourself
>>199826
I’m guessing you’ve never been in an altercation like this so it’s understandable that you froze. Most people don’t drive well the first time that they get behind a car either. A combat sport (like boxing) will help you get more comfortable with the reality of fighting.
>>
>>199826
>>199840
Start with striking and move to grappling later if you wind up enjoy fighting. If your main goal is to defend yourself, you want a striking class. Very few street fights go to the ground. Most are over within the first few punches, so that’s what you want to get good at.
>>
>>200104
>Very few street fights go to the ground
Proofs? If you can't grapple you don't get to decide this. Boxing is still based tho
>>
>>200104
With a wrestling and judo background I've had three unfriendly punches thrown at me, none of which connected and all three of which resulted in the retard getting some time to lay down and think about his life choices from a headlock. Definitely learn both grappling and striking, but if I had to suggest one martial art for someone to pick up and stick with for a lifetime it'd be judo.
>>
>>200104
The only problem with this is that if there's one martial art that some rando is going to know, it's going to be wrestling, because every grade school has a wrestling team.
I say that as a striker who hates grappling.
>>
>>200108
Hey man I always wondered what to choose for adult amateur - wrestling or judo, and you suggest judo. Why judo and not wrestling?
>>
>>200132
Not him but it is very location dependent. I live in place where most guys did boxing and fights usually start with punch to the head. When I was looking at USA fights videos I was surprised by how much times people perform leg takedowns
>>
>>200160
Not him but it’s nearly impossible to find wrestling programs that take new adults. Almost all programs are based around school until you get to the professional level. Amatuer wrestling for adults is basically non-existent. At best, you might find a “wrestling” program at an mma school but this is really just mixed grappling (or sometimes just nogi bjj) specifically for the sport of mma.
>>
>>200166
I have freestyle wrestling classes in grappling/BJJ gym in my town and several judo places
>>
>>200160
I suggest judo over wrestling as a lifetime discipline because wrestling requires a higher level of athleticism to perform at baseline competency while judo can be more reasonably trained by an old man. The heavy focus on falling properly is also a major benefit of judo since most people are more likely to be at danger from falling than from getting into fights. If you have access to a good wrestling program (e.g., you're in the American school system) it's definitely worth checking out as it's a fun sport that helps build a lot of mental toughness, but if you're looking for something to keep after for the rest of your life judo is a better option.
>>>/xs//judo/
>>>/xs//wrestling/
>>
Getting in martial arts is a good step, but I think the best you can do is mentally train. You freeze because you're stuck thinking. Train yourself to understand when to let loose. Martial arts is a good way, it will teach you to not fear getting hit, and realize that punching back is better for you, as well as turning that mentality into instinct.
>>
>>201171
Retard that you are, you don’t realize the best way to train mentally is through active combative training. Newbies get an andrenaline dump when they start training. Competition is an even bigger adrenaline dump. A street fight is an even bigger dump than that. You need to acclimate yourself to that adrenaline dump to maintain a proper headspace in a fight. Despite the popular phrase, the adrenaline response is not fight or flight, it’s fight, flight, fawn, or freeze. People without experience with violence are far more likely to freeze than anyone else.
>>
>>201174
This is true, there was a time when I was going to BJJ class 5 days a week for about 3 years, because I was a former fatty and was obsessed with weight loss.

After awhile you get into a weird "zone" where it doesn't matter if your sparring at 50% or 100% intensity, you kind of mentally zone out and just let your body do the grappling.

Afterwards you may be breathing heavily but mentally your relaxed, just waiting for the 90 second next sparring partner change to start.

Same thing happened when I trained judo, at first I hated being thrown and was a terrible partner, because I was constantly stiffening up.

After a while you just become like jelly and being thrown is no different than stretching.
>>
>>201174
This guy knows what's up. Most people freeze first, some stay in that stage until the situation is over while others will move on to fight/flight/subservient. You can even observe this reaction in animals.

To the op, get in to any sport/martial art that has an element of someone physically trying to dominate you. Most people freeze because outside of fighting as a kid they never really have experienced another grown human getting physically hostile with them.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.