[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: th-806191880.jpg (31 KB, 474x356)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
I have done Taekwondo and Judo. In both arts people got injured pretty regularly, sometimes very seriously. I am getting old (I'm in my mid 30s) and don't want any more injuries. What is best martial art style for me to train in?
>>
>I am getting old (I'm in my mid 30s)
>>
>>203251
as far as sports go you're pretty cooked by then
>>
>>203251
I’m not even 30 yet and I’ve taken an absurd amount of injuries that are starting to affect my quality of life in my late twenties.

Fuck off faggot. You clearly never fought hard enough at the age you were supposed to if this is what you think.
>>
Any martial art is safe if you don't go hard. If you stick to drills and very light sparring, you're unlikely to injure yourself
Realistically though, that most likely disqualifies wrestling, MT, boxing, kickboxing and MMA because those tend to be quite "serious".
Judo and BJJ should be fine if you can set clear boundaries on how hard you want to go or if you only spar with the older guys. Besides that, traditional martial arts, if you warm up well and don't do overly flashy, explosive shit.
Importantly, this all depends on the gym culture. The more competitive a gym is and the lower the average age, the more likely you are to get injured, whereas a gym populated mostly by the middle-aged accountant dad types will likely be pretty chill unless someone has some serious ego problems
>>
From a rules perspective, TKD was probably your safest bet as far as standardized contact styles. As stated above plenty of things can be done safely, but it's nearly entirely up to the idiots doing it.
>>
capoeira, is an brazilian martial art, capoeira usually isn't so violent
>>
>>203250
Judo (and TKD) shouldn't be bad if you step back from competition, find a good gym culture, and stay in good physical condition. I plan on doing judo for as long as I'm physically able to grip a gi.
>>
>>203259
Yeah if you want to be a competitive professional athlete
Other than sports like golf
But noncompetitive you can do pretty much anything into your fifties if you're not an impatient dipshit
>>
>>203250
Probably a cultural/historical art, like a koryu school of kenjitsu or jujutsu, or Filipino martial arts, or something. Something that only does kata or patterns.
I'm not knocking this at all btw, I honestly think very old trad martial arts are fascinating.

As far as combat sport, probably jiujitsu. There's a lot you can do to dictate the pace, including but not limited to just choosing to roll with other chill guys and avoiding hotheads. Even if you are rolling with an enthusiastic young guy, you can learn how to slow him down and avoid bad positions. And hey, if you are in a bad spot, like he's stacking you and trying to feed you your own dick, just stop and reset.

You could also find a good boxing or muay thai coach to run you through pad drills and bag work, plus maaaaaybe some light sparring.
>>
>>203250
>>203281
>Any martial art is safe if you don't go hard. If you stick to drills and very light sparring, you're unlikely to injure yourself
>depends on the gym culture
This is a good reply.
Your goals and risk tolerance have to align for this to work. If you have competitive aspirations, you'll need to face the risk of injury. If you just want to develop some skill and have fun, you can get away with just drilling and light sparring with TRUSTED partners.
Your injury risk can be mitigated by lifting weights, stretching, and proper recovery (sleep, stretching, eating)
>>
>>205093
>jujitsu
Out of the time I've been training Boxing, BJJ and MMA, I've received the most and frequent and worst injuries from BJJ, followed not even closely by Boxing and finally I have not yet been injured by MMA.
BJJ every gym goes balls to the wall 110% in rolling for some fucking reason, boxing is usually controlled but occasionally people get overexcited and MMA is usually done by hobbyist programmers who lack the physical capacity/training focus to hurt you or comp guys who want to avoid injuries.
>>
>>205119
What's the primary demographic of your gym?
Men aged 18-30 are the group most likely to fight to the death in every roll because they want to get good fast and win medals
Older guys will probably be more chill.
And all that aside, you can always ask your partner to go lighter because you're worried about an injury. Any reasonable guy will respect this, if they don't, just don't roll with them again

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.