[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1710743809271867.webm (2.74 MB, 1280x720)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB WEBM
Capoeira is very underrated and misunderstood, specially by its own practitioners.
>almost perfect use of momentum
>almost complete mitigation of the disadvantages of falls
>lots of unorthodox movements and weird striking angles
>lots of level changes, perfect for transition to grappling
Yet retards will tell you it's just a dance or that it doesn't work when it has historical proof it worked against even armed opponents.

From what I gathered, it seems Brazil doesn't want to export just the fighting side of Capoeira because that would be racist or something. Can any Brazilians shine the light on why this shit isn't being taught in every school like Judo and BJJ?
>>
>>210046
Keep in mind that black people who used this art were fighting against gunmen armed with knives, pistols and shotguns, so the low stance, fast and powerful blows, mixed with dodges were the state of the art in 19th century Brazil.

>Why isn't this crap being taught in all schools, like Judo and BJJ?

1. BJJ and judo are not taught in schools here in Brazil.

2. Capoeira has some problematic aspects linked to Afro-Brazilian religions. Here the general culture is Christian and the music and clothing have a strong connection to batuque religions.

3. It was banned in Brazil because it was used by the "maltas", gangs that terrorized large cities, and this connection still exists in some cities.

Capoeira is more of a collection of defense and attack techniques than a closed and complex system. I hope I have clarified some points.
>>
>>210055
>1. BJJ and judo are not taught in schools here in Brazil.
Huh, I'm Portuguese living in Pernambuco, my kids have studied in two schools and both had Judo and BJJ, thought it was something common
>2. Capoeira has some problematic aspects linked to Afro-Brazilian religions. Here the general culture is Christian and the music and clothing have a strong connection to batuque religions.
So it's not really muh anti-racism like I thought just a result of the clashing ideas, makes sense
>3. It was banned in Brazil because it was used by the "maltas", gangs that terrorized large cities, and this connection still exists in some cities.
Really? I knew they had gangs and all but which connections do you mean? Genuinely curious
>Capoeira is more of a collection of defense and attack techniques than a closed and complex system. I hope I have clarified some points.
Isn't Capoeira Regional more or less that or am I mistaken?
>>
>>210060
Two Portuguese speakers talking in English, that's the joke.
>Huh, I'm Portuguese living in Pernambuco, my kids studied in two schools and both had Judo and BJJ, I thought it was something common
Private schools? If they're public schools, they must be part of some program to encourage sports.
>Seriously? I knew they had gangs and everything, but what connections are you referring to? Genuinely curious
The gangs don't exist anymore, but gang behavior in some places remains, take for example the Chute Boxe x Capoeira challenge, it started with a fight between capoeiristas who were in a gang on the beach, behavior similar to that of the pitboys of the 90s who fought BJJ and went out in groups at night attacking people.
>Isn't Capoeira Regional more or less like that or am I mistaken? By systematized I meant that it is much more like self-defense, where you learn some very specific techniques that work for almost everything, than a combat sport where you develop a wide range of skills because your opponent is already used to defending himself from basic blows.

I trained capoeira for 2 years and I have a degree in history. It is a tremendous cultural and physical activity, and I see that the biggest problem for it to develop further is precisely the religious aspect.
>>
>>210063
>Two Portuguese speakers talking in English, that's the joke.
Kek, I already got banned a couple of times for this, so I avoid it now
>Private schools? If they're public schools, they must be part of some program to encourage sports.
Oh, I didn't think they were different but that makes sense
>The gangs don't exist anymore, but gang behavior in some places remains, take for example the Chute Boxe x Capoeira challenge, it started with a fight between capoeiristas who were in a gang on the beach, behavior similar to that of the pitboys of the 90s who fought BJJ and went out in groups at night attacking people.
>Chute Boxe x Capoeira challenge
I had no idea this was a thing kek I already know what I'm going to watch during lunch, thanks
>By systematized I meant that it is much more like self-defense, where you learn some very specific techniques that work for almost everything, than a combat sport where you develop a wide range of skills because your opponent is already used to defending himself from basic blows.
Makes sense, I imagine most of the knowledge people had for majority of it came from word of mouth, right? Only recently I learned how long it took for Brazil to make slavery illegal, kinda messed up
>I trained capoeira for 2 years and I have a degree in history.
Damn, that's dope, I kind of want to get my BJJ purple belt before going on another adventure, but I'm really tempted to join a Capoeira group nearby, looked very fun
>It is a tremendous cultural and physical activity, and I see that the biggest problem for it to develop further is precisely the religious aspect.
Do you think there is any chance for it in the future? I've noticed most kids are less religious nowadays than when I got here (around 2005)
>>
>>210046
Cool thread, I wish I could practice it but there is no nearby school where I live
>>
>>210063
>Chute Boxe x Capoeira challenge
This one? https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira_vs_Chute_Boxe
The Muay Thai guys all won in the first round.
>>
I took a lesson once, it was fun and at the end we did cart wheels and pretended to kick each other while everyone stood around and clapped

I wouldn't do it again tho but practicing the moves seems like good exercise
>>
>>211906
That's jogo leve, something somewhere in between demonstration and light sparring. There is technical and hard sparring also.
>>
>>211881
That's right, there are fights on Chute Boxe's YouTube channel.
Note that on Chute Boxe's side there were Pelé Landi and Rafael Cordeiro.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.