[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20230409_150959.png (1010 KB, 1230x1454)
1010 KB
1010 KB PNG
>Dragon Ball - Sci-Fi influenced Journey To The West
>Hokuto No Ken - Mad Max influenced post-apocalyptic east asia
>One Piece - Fantasy golden age of piracy
>Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Worldwide urban fantasy with settings that range from the far west to Italy.
>Naruto - Fantasy Ninja clans
>Bleach - Different dimentions and specific cosmology
>FullMetal Alchemist - Fantasy 1910s/20s Germany with magic
>Soul Eater - Wacky and quirky Tim Burton-esque alternate reality set in Nevada
>Trigun - Foreign influenced sci-fi space western
>Rurouni Kenshin - Grounded Meiji Era Japan
>Shaman King - Worldwide mythology and culture clash with specific focus on indigenous populations.
>Yu-Gi-Oh! - D&D/Magic influenced traditional gaming and memories of ancient Egypt.
>Rave Master - JRPG style Science Fantasy with strong influences from PSX era Squaresoft and various music genre.

>Jujutsu Kaisen - Urban fantasy modern Japan
>CSM - Urban Fantasy modern Japan
>Dandadan - Urban Fantasy modern Japan (with Aliens!)
>Bachi Kagura - Urban Fantasy modern japan
>My Hero Academia - Capeshit themed urban fantasy modern Japan
>Demon Slayer - Urban Fantasy Japan from 100 years ago
>Black Clover - Bog standard generic medieval fantasy with Naruto elements
>Frieren - Bog standard generic isekai setting

What happened?
>>
>my shonenshit is better than your shonenshit!
>my fictional boyfriend can beat up your fictional boyfriend
Shonenshitters are hilarious
>>
>>268146965
>>Naruto - Fantasy Ninja clans
i wish
>>
>>268146965
>Dragon Ball - Sci-Fi influenced Journey To The West
Journey To The West is like 5% of all DB why are people so obsessed with it? DB has so much more to it rather jttw
>>
>>268147303
Goku's Saiyan backstory (alien race of powerful creatures, child blasted off planet that is about to explode) is obviously inspired by Superman.
>>
>>268147516
>Goku's Saiyan backstory (alien race of powerful creatures, child blasted off planet that is about to explode)
That's a shitty retcon, the saiyans were nothing like kriptonians.
>>
>>268147552
I don't care if Goku was a monkey in Dragon Ball. Z is what most people remember.
>>
>Yu-Gi-Oh! - D&D/Magic influenced traditional gaming and memories of ancient Egypt.
How does this even count as worldbuilding lmao
>>
>>268147570
I don't give a fuck about what most people remember or about you for that matter.
>>
>>268147589
This is why you don't have friends IRL
>>
>>268147838
I only have 1 friend irl and that's enough for me.
>>
>daily old good new bad thread
>>
>>268147864
Name 3 modern shounen with an interesting setting, I'll wait
>>
>>268147864
Let him have it, the shonenshitter just admitted he has no friends apart from online ones.
>>
>>268147906
Dai Dark, Heart Gear, Hitoner
Done? Done.
>>
>>268147852
Your right hand doesn't count.
>>
>>268147906
Houseki no Kuni
Ragna Crimson
VERSUS
If you don't want to count the HnK because it already ended, pick any one of the on-going official Touhou manga
>>
>>268146965
Why don't you do something about it then?
>>
>>268147906
Stop reading the mainstream normalfag slop
>>
Ah yes, a deliberately cherrypicking examples that support your point and deliberately ignoring examples that do not thread. Love these. Half those examples are just worded to sound like they support your point, but in reality are no different from the ones you say are generic. What makes Rave Master acceptable than Frieren? Absolutely nothing, they're both bog standard fantasy. What makes Bleach or Yu-Gi-Oh! not just plain ol' urban fantasy? Absolutely nothing. What makes Rurouni Kenshin historical fiction while Demon Slayer apparently isn't? Absolutely nothing. There's an ocean of examples of generic urban and urban fantasy manga from before the year 2000, but you'd know nothing about that.
>>
>>268147906
Heart Gear
Kaijun Fugeki
Gachiakuta
>>
>>268148828
>What makes Bleach or Yu-Gi-Oh! not just plain ol' urban fantasy?
The fact that Bleach has Soul Society, Hueco Mundo, Shadow Realm and the Royal Palace as settings
and both series have inner worlds
Yugioh is a magical tech setting. Kaiba in his attempt to up egyptian magic advanced civilization 100 years in a few months.
japan became technocracy then fucking guy used magictech to go to the afterlife and duel the Pharaoh (don't get me started on Duel Links)
so how the fuck does this sound as old urban fantasy to you?
>>
>>268147906
Ragna Crimson
Rosen Garten Saga
Iruma kun
>>
File: 1714486630410709.jpg (102 KB, 815x312)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>268146965
>implying shounen has been interesting, ever
>>
>>268147984
>Heart Gear
Just ended :(
>>
File: kami Mitama points.jpg (254 KB, 1597x898)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>268147906
Ninja Slayer
Tower Dungeon
Sensou Kyoushitsu
>>
>>268149112
Tripfag retard.
>>
>>268147584
Yeah
Should have been
>Multiverse summoning Demon by using card
>>
>>268147984
Dai Dark is just Dorohedoro in space, Dorohedoro started in early 2000
It's not exactly "modern"
>>
>>268153241
No true scotsman, eh?
>>
>>268153241
Kek, actually perfect for >>268153301. Might as well call every series mentioned in the OP just "dragonball with X". It's always funny.
>>
Why is it always battle shit.
>>
>>268148571
>>268150501
Both of you retards only mentioned one shonen series
>>
>>268146965
Gokubro btw
>>
>>268156762
Four out of five of the series those anons posted publish in shounen magazines. Three of them in magazines that straight up have "shounen" in the name. Not counting touhou because that's multiple different manga that release all over the place.
Rosen Garten is the only non-shounen in those posts.
>>
>>268146965
Yeah I have no idea what's going on in Japan but I noticed that since ~2020, anime and manga are so underwhelming, so "emotionally sanitized".

I watch older shows that I have never seen before and they're awesome.

So I waste my time on this nu-stuff, realize, it's all extremely mid crap and get mad.

Well I realized I should avoid new Japanese otaku media in general because there's nothing good and new being made and stick to the classic pre 2020 stuff so I don't come off as some whiny brat and not comment on nu-anime in the first place, not allow it to live rent free in my head so to say
>>
>>268160385
>Yeah I have no idea what's going on in Japan but I noticed that since ~2020, anime and manga are so underwhelming, so "emotionally sanitized".
Same with all media desu
>>
>>268146965
>Taisho era is now urban fantasy
>black clover is the same as Frieren
>No mention of Fairy Tail
Much cherry picking this one
>>
>>268162507
The responses OP got >>268147906 here destroyed him. You don't have to bump this thread, op already got anally raped.
>>
>>268162552
True, which is a shame, since I think he could have made argument work, but angled it instead as works from more experienced mangaka being more willing to be experimental and newer ones sometimes not because they have to make a name for themselves, so they sometimes stick to formulaic.

Urban fantasy itself isn't bad, no setting inherently is, it's moreso whether the maker has the creative mojo to make it work. I.e. I really like BBB, just wish nightow would stop waiting title names for it. But it fits squarely as a "urban fantasy" just as JJk does. But Nighttow is much more experienced as a writer, so Hellsalem was instantly more interesting as a setting and still is imo to explore.
I couldn't give a rats ass about JJk's world though because Gege basically didn't do anything interesting with it.

It's also weird as fuck imo that he picked out rave master as not generic, when I'd say the least generic setting hiro made was the one shot that went no where centered on graffiti art. Of course that aesthetic is what makes gachiakuta stand out, Urana just had the chance and vision to flesh it out more & I really liked for e.g.the initial setting for promised Neverland, even if the series bombed because jump pushed too hard for the story to be longer then wjat the author pitched.

Tldr: I think there's always interesting settings in stories of every era, but more experienced authors generally have a better idea what to do to make it interesting. Less experiences authors can still make use of good set pieces and settings, but it's experience that's a bigger determinate of story quality, not that younger authors are inherently uncreative. Not that experience itself is a garuntee, looking at you Samurai 8.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.