[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bithday3.jpg (41 KB, 704x396)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Lucky Star is a period piece and a time capsule. It makes cultural and media references that nobody outside of that time period will understand.
>>
That's part of what makes it great.
>>
This is why I hate the prospect of remakes, especially things from the 80s and 90s. Much of those shows' charm is that they are time capsules. A modern, uglier remake with a contemporary setting feels like a major downgrade (thinking of the Rumiko anime that are getting/have gotten remakes as I type this).
>>
>>268345018
I never understood the Timotei joke until someone showed me the shampoo ad video.
>>
yeah man the extremely obscure game ToHeart2
>>
>>268345018
get fucked OP --> >>268345765
>>
>>268345765
How old are you?
>>
>>268345868
>>
>>268345868
still not obscure to the type of people who are "meant" to be watching this show
>>
>>268345938
>still not obscure to the type of people who are "meant" to be watching this show
I agree, that's what "meant for" means.
>>
Society needs to go full mad max before actually nobody understands them
>>
>>268346038
soooooo
no problem making a remake then, right?
>>
>>268346084
Not a remake, but if it is a sequel that is a new time capsule then I don't see the issue.
>>
To Heart was great. I would watch a full remake starring the Luckies though.
>>
>>268345613
It was specially cringe to see smartphones in Lamu.
>>
Too bad it's pretty boring. I'm trying to finish it but I get through an episode a month roughly.
>>
Which lucky wud u fucky
>>
>>268345018
Having extensive knowledge of otaku culture was hardly necessary to enjoy Lucky Star. It was something that didn't just observe otaku culture but really daily life in general and really most of its gags were easy to enjoy, even if you didn't catch all the references and were just an entry level otaku. It would have been impossible for it to actually have gotten so big outside Japan otherwise.
>>
>>268347981
Cell phones ruin everything.
>>
>>268345018
All the references are anime only put in there by KyoAni. The manga barely has some.
>>
>>268348505
I'm willing to bet you read a translation which had the references removed because your N3 trannylator didn't understand them.
>>
>>268348505
The manga was shit. SHIT!
>>
>>268348815
Of course it was, because I couldn't hear Kagami's cute voice
>>
>>268348370
>It would have been impossible for it to actually have gotten so big outside Japan otherwise.
I feel like it got big outside Japan because it had references to Japanese media and showed daily life of a "Japanese nerd". In my perspective, it served as a counterforce to the mainstream "Western-inspired" and "Western-styled" anime like Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Big O and FMA, which were popular in the West in early 2000s
>>
>>268348370
Most people who think like that have never watched anything with deep references that they fully get. I learned moonspeak and watched variety shows for few years and enjoyed Gintama 1000% better thanks to it.
The main reason for Lucky Star's popularity was the Kyoani + Haruhi connection, if it was just another nichijou-kei made by a random studio without Hirano in the lead it would have been completely forgotten.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.