[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why did anime go from 100+ episodes to 12/24 episodes? The former resulted in far more immersive and compelling stories.
>>
100+ episodes just means more fillershit. The ideal amount is 2 cour followed by more necessary cour or movie(s) to tell a complete story.
>>
>>268816947
Sure, but LoGH is different, it wasn't a TV anime but an OVA that took years to get released.
>>
>>268816947
Shorter stories used to be OVA only, then Studios started stretching those out into 12-24 episode television series.
A variety of influences caused this, but a lot of people point to the boom of Evangelion as one of them to cause the shift from the OVA-first market, to the TV anime-first market.
There were always more OVA being released than >100 episode continuous production series, so latter weren't replaced, instead it was the former.
>>
>>268816947
Low test
>>
>>268817320
>12-24 episode
Nah. They used to be 13-26.
>>
File: yaki.jpg (35 KB, 290x350)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>268817149
Panel-by-panel adaptations suck.
Movies suck too. There is nothing worse than going from series into a movie. Movies always follower the exposition conflict action conclusion pattern while a long series has many, many episodes deviating from it because of the nature of dividing something into episodes. Movies are designed around being self contained. By their very nature they are beneath the episode format unless you get a director with some the balls to make a direction continuation from where whatever came before it left off and ignore casuals.

Short cours spanning 11-13 episodes fall into a more shallow pitfall than movies do but it is the same problem- they tend to follow a certain pattern or layout.
The longer and more free-form an episode count is the better off the series will be.
>>
>>268816947
that anime was an exception
in fact most anime around that time were either 6 episode OVAs or long running toy commercials
>>
I LOOK ABOVE THE STARS ARE BRIGHT
>>
>>268816947
I enjoyed what I saw of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but I never got past episode 60. It didn't seem worth the time to finish it.
>>
File: 1523377937936.webm (1.66 MB, 720x404)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB WEBM
Is Die Neue These still going?
>>
>>268816947
I implore you, please watch more anime before talking like you understand it
>>
More or less episodes isn't automatically better. If you have a story to tell over 100+ episodes you should be allowed to, though even in the past that wasn't always allowed. Sure, there were a lot of 50+ and even 100+ episode series but there were also 6 episode OVAs or ~2 cour series, and if they were adaptations they might be partial adaptations no different than what we get now.

LoGH was released over 10+ years. The Monogatari anime started in 2009 and has over 100 episodes as well and is likely to get a lot more episodes now that Shaft is adapting some of the later stuff.
>>
>>268821908
It's worth it because it has a satisfying ending. A satisfying ending is so rare that it can make up for most anything.
>>
>>268816947
this was a novel adaptation and it was super premium and an ova more than a regular series. you had to be subscribed to them and they'd send you monthly or yearly dvds. that's why the animatoin was very good.
>>
>>268823084
It had peaks but overall it didn't look any better than a TV animation from the same time period. And at times it looked worse.
>>
>>268823148
on average it looked better by a noticable and significant margin. there were some drops in quality tho
>>
>>268816947
I hope you realize this show was 4 seasons and took 9 years to complete.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.