[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1704050663181.webm (3.92 MB, 720x408)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB WEBM
How do I stop myself from instinctively cringing when an anime tries to be sincere and earnest? It comes across as incredibly corny to me. Especially when the music kicks in
>>
western media might be more to your taste
>>
>>269155177
Conan is seen as a corny know-it-all in Japan too.
>>
>>269155177
you don't need to watch anime if you don't like it
>>
>>269155458
>>269155238
I actually find it very hard to believe that you people take this stuff that seriously or don't instinctively cringe at a lot of the stuff in anime, and rather force yourself to like it, pretending your instinctual cringe reaction is a disease to rid yourself of. You can admit that anime is cringe.
>>
Please please PLEASE go back to /co/ and watch your nihilistic western garbage like Reddit and Morty or Smiling Friends or negrified millenial-core garbage like Quipvengers Electric Boogaloo, Black Bucky: Congo Soldier.
You do not belong here.
>>
>>269155177
Cringe and ironic culture and its consequences have been a disaster for western media communities
>>
>>269155177
Have you tried watching better anime Conan is for little kids
>>
>>269155910
Has nothing to do with "cringe and ironic" culture. The rot began back in the 1920s and 1930s, actually. It was Disney. Because of the pervasive cultural influence of Disney, westerners are conditioned to see cartoons as pasttimes for children. This bias runs very deep and is very hard to break away from, such that any attempts at so-called "adult animation" must include overtly "mature" elements such as sex, violence, or pointless irreverence.
>>
If you think anime is cringe, the logical thing to do is not watch it.
>>
>>269155177
First off you need to learnt he difference between sincere/earnest and COMPLETELY FUCKING RETARDED.
>>
>>269155177
conan is based here, and Kimi ga ireba playing here is kino as fuck
>>
>>269156042
That's just an immature over-correction.
>>
>>269156618
I think it's on the mark.
>>
>>269155856
it takes one to know all of these
>>
File: images.jpg (55 KB, 465x659)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>269155177
It's because shows like Conan plays it all serious and honest that it can also be an inside meme in Japan
Shows integrated with western humor is the real cringe
>>
>>269156042
No it's definitely the cringe and ironic culture that anitubers infected the community with
>>
File: 23154612.png (102 KB, 1052x161)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>269155856
He's from /v/ actually, and calls himself a chad.
>>
>>269155177
It’s kinda cringe of you to watch a children’s show in the first place and expect it to cater to your jaded irony-poisoned mind. I can imagine you being the type of guy who sees a kid watching tv and judge em based off of what they’re watching.
>>
>>269156918
Like I said, you're making a naive assumption out of historical ignorance (you stupid zoomer bitch). This has long plagued animation as an artform.
>>
>>269155177
What do you mean this is a perfectly good sce-
LMAO WHAT
>>
File: Ai Haibara.png (380 KB, 800x600)
380 KB
380 KB PNG
my wife deserve more fucking love
no one is even making songs with her voice too
fuck,
>>
>>269157500
You fucking mouthbreather, the shit you wrote is basic trivia and it's sort of true, but it's not the direct reason
Pre anituber faggotry attitude like the OP one wasn't pervasive in community
>>
>>269155177
>If there is a bullet
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WHY DID YOU SHOT AT MY DICK YOU FUCKING BITCH? YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO SHOT AT THE LENS LIKE EVERYONE ALWAYS DO, FUCK FUCK FUCK
If you are wondering, she missed, because she is a woman.
>>
>>269155177
Try aging past 14
>>
File: totokodisgust2.jpg (42 KB, 470x720)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>269155177
I actually like anime. I'm sorry you don't.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (72 KB, 1280x720)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
I must not cringe. Cringe is the fun-killer. Cringe is the little-doubt that brings total normielization. I will face my cringe. I will permit it to pass over my figures and through my anime. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner weeaboo to see its path. Where the cringe has gone there will be nothing. Only fun will remain.
>>
>>269155177
If you hate sincerity you should go back to western media.
>>
>>269157715
She needs correction.
>>
>>269158857
Holy shit what a retard. Did you even watch the movie?
>>
>>269158026
If it's basic trivia then why are you so assblasted over hearing the truth? Just admit that you've been poisoned by watching too much anitube you stupid faggot
>>
>>269155177
Better then MCU comedy garbage

>moodwhiplash jokes or characters acting like jakcasses
>everyone is a smarmy jerk or a dopey idiot
>>
>>269155177
Depends on how good the series and how believable the situation is. Some manga and anime have fantastic serious scenes but for that you have to read good series first.
That webm is kind of dumb because Conan is dumb. His child appearance feels dumb, his super tech IS dumb (like the bullet-proof glasses, the shoe etc), it's extremely dumb to make a bullet-proof lens in the first place, assuming he would get shot right there and nowhere else where there is no protection. Talking for minutes amid a fire inferno without suffocating and getting burnt is unbelievably dumb.

Serious shit is great and most of the best scenes in anime are serious. Just watch better series if you consider Conan cringe. I wouldn't call this scene cringe or laughable. It's just kinda dumb and probably works well if you're younger or can take it less seriously.
>>
>>269155177
http://desuarchive.org/a/search/text/%22How%20do%20I%20stop%20myself%22%20cringing%20/type/op/
Dead internet theory at work
>>
File: 1717951944141423.jpg (518 KB, 2000x1940)
518 KB
518 KB JPG
>>269159174
>insults
>gets vitriol in response
>"assblasted pretty much???"
>>
>>269160243
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>269155177
It depends what exactly you mean. There's a difference between not being able to take a piece of narrative-driven drama seriously and not being able to take it seriously when an artist is baring their soul to make a thesis statement about something. To illustrate this, let's take your OP image: whether or not this scene works depends on how invested you are in the tension. There is no deeper meaning to the words said or actions taken without the story being told. I've never watched it, so I can't take it seriously. On the flip side, take a show like Gurren Lagann: there are quite a few speeches that could be listened to even without knowing the context of the story. Those are words with which the creators are making their convictions (or at least those they admire) known. If you cringe at that, it's the same as finding a fundamental problem with someone's considered philosophy. That's an empathy problem. There are a lot of degrees and angles you could apply to what I just said, but it really comes down to the subject matter or level of honesty.
>>
>>269155177
>sincerity in art bad
>>
>>269155177
Even if the glasses didn't break, the force of the bullet should have thrown him to the floor at least and lodge the glasses into his skull at worse.
>>
>>269155177
Because it's not actually sincere.
>>
>>269155177
I think western slop is more up your alley, insincere fag
>>
>>269155177
Maybe try not to watch anime for children if an anime trying to have a cool scene to get the kids hyped is too "cringe" for you.
>>
>>269156042
No it's similar, but not the same. The cringe culture considers EVERYTHING honest or genuine cringe, even in live action or even real life.

Do you remember those two or three really stupid, insecure teens that were in every 16+ cinema movie when you were a teen and laughed like idiots whenever anything remotely serious happened? A character cries? "AHAHAHA". A character dies? "LOOOOOL". A character stands still for a moment? "AHAHAHAHA". This is the majority now. Idiots believe that "being above" emotions made them cool and badass. Since they're insecure as shit they have to show it too, usually by laughing hard or making fun about things on the net to let others know that they are too smart and controlled to feel emotions like those stupid people that enjoy stories.
>>
>>269155177
kino
>>
File: IMG_1033.jpg (211 KB, 1920x1080)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>269155177
People here don’t want to hear it, but the majority of anime writing is objectively bad. You get *maybe* one or two decently written shows a season. Mostly they’re based off light novels. The writing still isn’t stellar, but it’s tolerable. It’s honestly amazing how not being terrible is such a high bar for the majority of anime writing

Every once in awhile you get something that’s actually well written which just leaves a void
>>
>>269162487
>objectively
That's objectively your subjective opinion, sister
>>
>>269162389
At least the ironyteens can feel emotions that they hide behind a mask because they're insecure. Better than feeling nothing, like an old husk. Like me...
>>
>>269162510
No. Objectively, the writing in the majority of anime is derivative, lazy, and uninspired. Oh you’re having another school festival arc? Oh an onsen episode? Oh the MC misinterpreted the girls words for the 100,000th time? Oh he got isekaid and has OP powers that everyone thinks are weak?
>>
>>269155177
Shouldn't she be fucking DEAD? He's knocking out adult men by shooting soccer balls, this was a fucking rock
>>
>>269162613
That's just, like, your opinion man
>>
Being incapable of empathy (which is a prerequisite for finding a scene impactful) is unironically typical for immature minds. Children often lack empathy since their brain, their awareness of the self and the other and the personality itself aren't fully developed yet. This is why young kids won't feel anything watching war movies or the news yet. This changes as they become older, experience suffering themselves and project it onto others, feel empathy and learn contexts that make them understand the circumstances that make an event or fictional scene engaging, tragic or funny. So congrats, the west consists of adults that think like toddlers now and they're even proud of it.
>>
>>269162534
I think you might just be depressed anon I know because I needed 10 years till I realised it's what caused that for me
And yes you're right. I wish it was easier to feel things again. The only emotion I am capable of feeling easily is anger and I hate it.
>>
>>269162487
>You get *maybe* one or two decently written shows a season.
True
>Mostly they’re based off light novels.
Kill yourself
>>
>>269162733
Are you arguing that the majority of anime is well written? Because lol. Lmao even.

I’m not saying a poorly written anime can’t be entertaining, but to use pacific rim as a comparison, just because it’s fun to watch big robots punch kaijus, those movies aren’t going to win any Oscar’s
>>
>>269162487
>You get *maybe* one or two decently written shows a season.
The post started so well and then you post shit like
>Mostly they’re based off light novels
Which are known for being the sources of almost all of the worst anime in existence. Sure there are a handful of good ones, but they are few and far between and something tells me that you weren't thinking of them when you made that post.
>>
>>269162816
Am I wrong? The best shows recently have been based on light novels. The exceptions are Frieren and Dungeon Meshi
>>
>>269162874
Give a few examples please
>>
>>269155856
Neither Morty or Smiling Friends are nihilistic. They're the complete opposite and directly make fun of those that are. Typical anime-only media comprehension.
>>
>>269162874
The best recent shows were literally all based on manga or they were originals. The only recent LN adaption that I personally considered good or at least engaging was 86. But even if I count that everything else that was good had another source or none at all so the claim is still horribly wrong and you probably like iskai shit which would be fun considering that you shat on it in >>269162613
>>
>>269162816
>>269162855
I’m not arguing that light novels are good, or that they’re even on average better than manga. I’m just saying that there have been more well written anime that come from light novels as opposed to manga recently

I’d say that the highs and lows of light novels are more extreme while manga is more consistent
>>
>>269155177
Glorious Nippon glasses folded over 1000 times
>>
>>269162613
Okay Mr.Grown-up, can't into the idea of a trope, go watch a fucking live action TV show or read literature, I mean real literature not manga or light novels
>>
You’re sitting in front of a screen sucking down entertainment like a monkey retard niggercattle. What could be more corny than that? Extend charity. When you get older nothing will engage you unless you buy into it, so learn how to do that now.
>>
Conan is literally made for children, are you guys retarded? I don't say that to shit on it, I think it's mostly great, but you have to adjust certain standards for the intended audience.
>>
>>269162613
This is true but it's also true for every other type of media. Books probably have the highest rate of bullshit even since ever idiot can write.
I read quite much myself mind you, but it's always funny when I hear people praising readers as if being into books was a sign for intelligence when the majority of books are dime novels with the quality of twilight and bullshit advisors for esoteric housewives and wannabe achievers.
>>
File: 1686086534951894.jpg (28 KB, 399x399)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
I sure love to read about how much you hate anime, manga and Japan in general on fucking /a/.
>>
>>269163155
I bet OP hasn't even watched cool shit like GTO
>>
>>269162893
Mushoku tensei, konosuba, spice and wolf (I know it’s just a remake, but still), apothecary diaries

>>269162951
I’m not against isekai necessarily (although the trope has been beaten to death at this point). I’m more against stupid OP power fantasies. In general isekai is a cop out, but that’s not always the case

I’d consider shows like Frieren, dungeon mesh, spy x family to be the best recently, but there are so so so many other absolute garbage manga adaptations out there
>>
>>269163047
The sheer number of tropes used in anime/manga are a sign of lazy writing, but that’s not even my main issue. Tropes are fine as long as the writing is good, which it’s not. These hack writers/mangakas lean too much on tropes to carry their garbage writing
>>
>>269163301
>Mushoku tensei, konosuba, spice and wolf (I know it’s just a remake, but still), apothecary diaries
I dropped every single series you listed so I guess arguing is meaningless we are just polar opposites. The only thing in common is that we think that most modern isekai are shit I guess, though this is why I considered MT shit as well. Well I also liked Frieren and DM so there is some vague common ground I guess. Dropped SxF as well.
>>
>>269163424
What do you consider well written anime?
>>
>>269163123
Manga Conan seemed to be pretty mature, at least back then
>>
>>269155766
you talk like a fag
>>
>>269163301
>Mushoku tensei, konosuba, spice and wolf, apothecary diaries
Oh you're a shitposter, never mind. Waste of my 10 minutes.
>>
>>269162947
I have never wasted a single second watching that garbage. Those shows have thier most posted clips being a joke about how funny suicide is. I don't need to waste time seeing the rest after that.
>>
>>269163551
Again I ask, what would you consider well written anime, or at least not poorly written anime? I’d argue that the anime I listed aren’t even “well written” they’re just better than the rest by virtue of not having straight up retarded writing and dialogue

Or are you just a popular = bad kind of person?
>>
>>269163606
>he doesn’t joke about killing himself with the boys
Ngmi
>>
>>269163606
I have never wasted a single second watching anime. Those shows are all about underage pedophile shit, unfunny screaming and large sweatdrops as humor. I don't need to waste time seeing the rest after that.

See how stupid you sound? Anime is not above any other medium, you're not enlightened or in a sekrit club. You're a pretentious pseud getting BTFO on a chinese cartoon board. Those cartoons you mentioned are anti-nihilism and directly shit on the nihilistic characters while having messages about people should cherish life. Btw a simple 5 second google search shows anime has infinitely more reddit members than neither show, whatever that means.
>>
>>269163747
Anon was talking about SHOWS, not the entire medium, so you're the retarded one here.
>>
>>269155177
You might be too nihilistic
>>
>>269163471
I don't want to talk about well written since it's always subjective, but shit I enjoyed rather. Besides Frieren and DM that would be Shouwa Rakugo, Fune wo Amu, Odd Taxi, ID, Gridman, Tengoku Daimakyou and so on. In the end it's truly only two series per season maybe, but I rather watch only a few series I genuinely enjoy than 15 like I did in the past since I ended up being tired of most of them halfway in. Might be that MT is good, it certainly looks great, I just couldn't make it far since I don't like that reincarnation trope and it felt too focused on fanservice and harem IMO. The original SaW was good, albeit not for me and I honestly never considered Konosuba funny. Some scenes yeah, but the majority of it relies on the same jokes that are basically just the three traits that define the waifus. Not my thing. Apothecary might also be good but felt too otome'ish for me and just don't like this type of girly stuff.
>>
>>269163747
>large sweatdrops as humor
Is that even still a thing?
>>
File: 1000000718.gif (1.06 MB, 200x200)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB GIF
>>269163301
>Mushoku tensei, konosuba, spice and wolf (I know it’s just a remake, but still), apothecary diaries
>>
>>269163945
Ah if we’re looking back to older anime, there are a lot of other good shows. I was just referencing relatively recent examples

T hey should have just continued SaW from where it was instead of making a remake with a worse art style
>>
>>269164146
I was honestly too insecure to mention my recent favorites since it's all shit like Bravern, Shota Samurai and Made in Abyss. Granted, at least MiA seems like a generally good series to me. Didn't read enough of Samurai to say it for sure here and Bravern is very personal since I am into these types of robot stories, humor and military shit.
>>
File: yakitate.jpg (50 KB, 640x482)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>269155312
the parodies of Conan are hilarious
>>
>>269159786
its fiction, why is bulletproof glasses dumb and a drug that makes you a kid not? and his huge head is like 33% of his body an adult shooting downwards would likely aim there, it was a gamble
>>
File: 41218562576167438.png (19 KB, 1127x382)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>
>>269162613
>No. Objectively, the writing in the majority of ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA is derivative, lazy, and uninspired

fixed
>>
>>269155177
>that webm
oh fuck, that just dug up some deep of memory mine from my childhood...
>How do I stop myself from instinctively cringing when an anime tries to be sincere and earnest? It comes across as incredibly corny to me. Especially when the music kicks in
you're a jaded faggot who can't enjoy anything anymore
>>
>>269164577
The problem with this is that it’s just true in a lot of cases bacause protagonists are usually poorly written in anime or manga. They’re also purposefully written to be self-inserts or wish fulfillments for the target audience
>>
>>269162487
You guys repeat the same shit constantly
>>
File: 1698012656448810.png (136 KB, 314x399)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
I have never wasted a single second watching anime. Those shows are all about underage pedophile shit, unfunny screaming and large sweatdrops as humor. I don't need to waste time seeing the rest after that.
>>
File: 1692384234629017.jpg (105 KB, 806x446)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>269164892
Anime ruined Hinamatsuri, so you might be right
>>
File: 1526529907684.png (1.02 MB, 869x1264)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>269164892
You don't get to use Hinamatsuri images being a fag like this
>>
>>269155177
>How do I stop myself from instinctively cringing
Try not being a zoomer retard that has to hide behind 7 layers of irony to enjoy anything because he's too afraid of being genuine and getting shit on over it.
>>
>>269165037
>>269165064
The duality of man
>>
>>269164577
Most usage of self insert on this board has been accurate. Moralfag and edgelord are what's really being abused
>>
>>269162951
Is Shangri-La Frontier not recent enough for your tastes?
>>
I consider the "90% of everything is le bad" type opinions to be the cringiest.
>>
>>269162613
this is what anime looks like to people who don't watch any and only read plot synopses
>>
>>269160072
template threads existed before you were born
>>
>>269164511
The drug magic is a premise that you accept since it's the reason why the story exists. The glasses trick claims to be based on strategy and contradicts it since everybody that would care about safety in a gun fight would install the bulletproof shield in lens of all things while the rest of the body is unprotected. There is no way to know that she would shoot at the eye of all things, let alone hit. Unless that part is explained in that movie but not shown in that scene.

There is a fundamental different between the unrealistic aspect of a character throwing fireballs as part of the premise and a contradiction within the writing itself like when a character throws fireballs after the story told you why he couldn't and later searches for an asspull to explain it (his love was strong enough to make it happen at that very moment). I can accept that the glasses don't wreck his head which they should do due to the kinetic energy but I have issues buying that they guessed that where exactly she would shoot him. If you want to kill someone you would rather aim at the forehead or just every other place.
>>
>>269165254
You're right but Conan is usually better written than this
>>
>>269164577
This is a dumb chart. There was a good one that I cannot find anymore. The one that translated what shitposters mean when they say "prententious" and "edgy" and such. That was good.
>>
>>269162855
>Which are known for being the sources of almost all of the worst anime in existence.
lol and lmao at this uninformed opinion. Some of the worst anime are manga and VN adaptations. LN adaptations are mostly just mediocre at worst.
>>
>>269165154
Dropped that too. I couldn't immerse since MC got and found all the super special legendary shit that nobody else ever discovered and this is not how MMOs work, it felt more like an isekai fantasy he can teleport into and out from. I am also allergic against AI characters that act in no way differently from humans playing.
>>
>>269165158
Take it up with Ted Sturgeon, dumbass
>>
>>269165295
That's another thing yeah, I believe you. I have seen pretty good things from it myself when I was still watching it. Granted that was 20 years ago but still.
>>
>>269165166
No it’s what it looks like to people who have watched hundreds if not thousands of anime with the same tropes year after year. Like I said in my other post, it’s not even the tropes I have an issue with, it’s the shitty writing that the authors try to cover up with tropes
>>
>>269155177
he should mating press her
>>
>>269165647
To clarify, there are also plenty of good anime that use the same tropes. They’re just well written.

These are outnumbered 100 to 1 though
>>
>>269165254
>There is no way to know that she would shoot at the eye of all things
She literally kills everyone by shooting in their right eye for some descendant shit
>>
>>269155177
>look at me I cringe at entertainment for children and teenagers
how about you grow you stupid fuck. Either accept it for what it is or get a more grown up hobby
>>
File: 1683657764357208.png (384 KB, 637x595)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
>>269155177
how many times do we have to have this thread
>>
>>269165988
Oh well that explains it. Thanks.
>>
How can people say that and THEN turn around to watch live action capeshit and pixar CGI for toddlers?
You can't take tragic scenes or fights in anime seriously but you CAN take some beardy murrican actor with green skintight costume shooting CGI lasers seriously?
>>
>>269166629
At least MCU doesn't take itself seriously, and acknowledges how stupid it is.
>>
>>269155766
Nah. Western shit is cringe. Anime is fine
>>
File: 1720873297032545.png (522 KB, 722x525)
522 KB
522 KB PNG
>>
>>269162741
this
>>
>>269166709
look at mister adult here, he refuses to get invested in fiction because others will think he's not a manly man
>>
>>269166709
Does it? Is some stupid one-liner after every serious scene proof that it's a comedy? I doubt it. The plot is still supposed to be taken seriously. They are just insecure faggots about it so they add stupid sarcastic comedy as a wink to the ironytards.
>>
ironic weebs/anitubers and their consequences
>>
Isn't OP that same teenager who made this thread a few months ago and got collectively laughed at by /a/ for being a huge faggot.
>>
>>269167634
Not the point, tardo.
>>
Cringe is a defense mechanism to stop yourself from realizing your soul has been damaged
>>
>>269169352
Why do you people start talking like Sephiroth when people talk about how cringe anime is? lol
>>
>>269163747
Anime isn't above art house movies or actually good novels (like another anon pointed out the book market is arguably the most oversaturated with complete and utter dogshit) but it is certainly above western animation as a whole. If you think a show where a guy who has the capability to single handedly end almost all of the worlds issues is runs around drunk 24/7 calling himself God isn't nihilistic slop you're retarded
>>
>>269169764
>lol
nice cope
>>
>>269163422
Go read all 108 chapters of Houseki no Kuni. Go read Heavenly Delusion. Go read Girls Last Tour and Shimeji simulation. Go read Made in Abyss. There's plenty of really good stuff still being written, you just don't like manga that much.
>>
File: lol7.gif (496 KB, 500x455)
496 KB
496 KB GIF
>>269155177
KEKW that webm absolutely cracked me the fuck up, nice argument OP

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.