[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1705582528002977.png (602 KB, 1000x563)
602 KB
602 KB PNG
Bonjour à toutes et à tous, I'm a francophile and I'm trying to master the art of French cuisine
I have made bœuf bourguignon and coq au vin many times as well as soupe à l'oignon

Recently I've started trying to make quiches specifically the quiche lorraine and it's turned out well but I'm not really sure about the pastry
Firstly is there a best technique to rub the butter into the flour? French chefs demonstrations only please
Secondly how exactly do I make pâte brisée, pâte sucrée and pâte sablée? It seems that I'm seeing way more eggs added in French recipes than I see in American recipes and I guess I want to know how to do it the most traditional way possible rather than what American chefs think is the best way
Are pâte ever supposed to be as flaky as American pie recipes show?

Any info about French cuisine would be greatly appreciated, any suggestions for dishes I should make would be great, going to make flan pâtissier soon

Btw am I doing it wrong with my coq au vin just tastes like an inferior version of bœuf bourguignon? Whenever I make coq au vin I'm always kind of disappointed and wondering why I didn't just use bœuf instead, it's basically the same effort
>>
>>20693594
You're retarded, but in the off chance I can help you be a little less retarded, look into
>laminated dough
for pastry crust. Yes, croissants use laminated dough. That doesn't mean all laminated dough is made the exact same way as that in croissants, nor that everyone uses the exact same methods for laminated dough when making croissants. When you ask about pâté, do you mean à choux, or are you asking about the pastry dough sometimes used in terrines?
>>
File: images (37).jpg (20 KB, 510x601)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>20693605
I laminated my dough and it made a fuckin mess, ruined my laminator and fucked the dough. I think you mean Lamington. Lamington dough. Fuckin dumb cunt.
>>
>>20693614
Alright, you're just retarded. Go about your business, then.
>>
>>20693623
Get fuckt
>>
>>20693605
I'm not talking about croissants I'm talking about pâte brisée, pâte sucrée and pâte sablée
If my usage of the term pastry threw you off I probably have a loose definition of what constitutes pastry
Do you think I should make croissants at least once? Or would Kouign-amann be better worth the effort?
>>
>>20693594
>my coq au vin just tastes like an inferior version of bœuf bourguignon
That's what it is
>>
>>20693714
I just kept on making it because I figured that since French people like it I should like it as well
>>
I’ll make a post with YouTube links when I’m back home from work, i can’t be fucked to do that on my phone.

For the rest, coq au vin is basically beef bourguignon with chicken and i think beef is much better for that recipe.
>>
>>20693765
As a baguette anon myself (not a professional though), I don't think I ever ate coq au vin.
The point is to make a tough cut of meat eatable by stewing it for hours, but since no one is selling roosters, why would you overcook chicken?
For quiches, I usually buy the pastry so I can't really help you

>>20693707
I find croissants to be relatively easy to make (even if I did follow a 3h viennoiserie course). Kouign-amann is nice but a bit more complex, you have to add a lot of sugar and somehow prevent it from being too much in contact with the dough itself (which ruins it)
>>
Is Cassoulet worth making? It seems like a huge pain in the ass but I'm intrigued
>>
>>20694005
Depends on how autistically you want to follow a recipe. Depending on where you are some things might be hard to find (duck confit for example)
But fundamentally it's a bean stew, nothing magical about it.
>>
>>20694005
It’s great but getting the right ingredients outside of France is very difficult. Getting good confit duck is the real hard part.

>>20694066
It’s not a bean stew.
>>
>>20694005
>Is Cassoulet worth making? It seems like a huge pain in the ass but I'm intrigued
It's got gamey flavor. How easy it for you to get mutton and preserved goose?
The magic of a well made bean dish would be starting from fresh fava beans in season and cooked in a way that doesn't bust them all apart.

>>20694077
>It’s not a bean stew.
Uhh, it's absolutely a bean stew.
>>
>>20694088
It’s not a bean stew. Beans are cooked on their own like most other ingredients then assembled in the cassolette and everything is reheated together. It is literally not stewed.
>>
>none has posted the zucchini pic
come on guys
>>
>>20694097
We call it a courgette in these parts…
>>
>>20693605
>you're retarded
this was important, and i feel like the remainder of the comment can be discarded for the same effect
>>
Why are so many French desserts so eggy? I've made flan, custards and clafoutis multiple times and it's always that strong, eggy flavor that puts me and my family off. The custard cream was ok with added butter but the rest wasn't very palatable.

Is this a French thing?
>>
>>20693594
>Firstly French chefs demonstrations only please
pate brisée: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUcbb8bbmgs
>Secondly how exactly do I make pâte brisée, pâte sucrée and pâte sablée?
pâte sucrée: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DS4-rehg0 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBnx9kX_qU8
pâte sablée: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAntzL-20Y
pâte à brioche: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnB_E8ZXr0c
>Any info about French cuisine would be greatly appreciated
In English there's no better source than Albert and Michel Roux Sr (books, sadly their vids are disappearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfPIx34_OY4).
Ferrandi is very good: https://www.amazon.com/French-Patisserie-Techniques-Ferrandi-Culinary/dp/2080203185/133-7372850-8654604?psc=1
There is a very good cookbook with recipes by Mère Brazier https://www.amazon.com/-/he/Eugenie-Brazier/dp/0847840964?language=en_US (ridiculously overpriced though, wait for a reprint or find online)
Institut Paul Bocuse Gastronomique: The definitive step-by-step guide to culinary excellence: https://www.amazon.com/Institut-Bocuse-Gastronomique-step-step/dp/0600634175/133-7372850-8654604?psc=1
The Complete Robuchon: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Robuchon-robuchon-joel/dp/1906502226
>Whenever I make coq au vin I'm always kind of disappointed
You need an old castrated rooster that had a lot of movement during its lifetime (farmyard animal). If you can't find one use Guinea fowl instead. You use a good Beaujolais (Moulin-à-Vent or similar) for coq au vin and a coarser one (still from Burgundy, ideally from Vosne Romanée) for boeuf Bourguignon. If that's too expensive use (more old school) Beaujolais and a liqueur glass of Cognac "fine Champagne".
>>
File: gay ass concombre.jpg (157 KB, 1111x1111)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>20694097
But, anon...
I thought that was concombre..for the gay vegan, right?RIGHT?
>>
>>20694005
My only experience of it is when they served us cassoulet at school. It was predictably shit.
>>
>>20694283
You forgot the French Cooking Academy channel on youtube. It's pretty good.
>>
>>20694005
If you can get muscovy or wild duck (necks and/or thighs). You'll need a good bean variety like coco de Paimpol, cocos de Pamiers, haricauts Tarbais or ideally white beans du Lauragais (lingot de Castelnaudary). The original (medieval) recipe used fava beans and they're excellent as well. You'll need beef or duck stock, Toulouse sausage and a cassole (clay recipient).
Old recipe (in French): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8co6bfSnns
This guy (world champion cassoulet 2017)
cooks 18K cassoulets per year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB11zdrAxjE
>>
>>20693594
she is so attractive
>>
>>20694515
linguini?
>>
>>20694474
>and a cassole
So yeah, that was the kind of autism I >>20694066 was talking about. You definitely don't need a special clay container to make very good cassoulet
>>
>>20694226
No, that's unusual. Whatever place you got it from made it wrong
>>
>>20694474
Toulouse sausage is just a standard pork sausage? I'm growing fava beans right now
I wish ina had handwritten subtitles so I could understand what they're saying better
>>20694283
Thanks for the cookbook recs
Is there much of an advantage to doing it his way with beurre pommade versus rubbing the butter in with your finger tips?
When should I add the egg vs not adding the egg?
>>
>>20694817
I'm considering getting a sabatier just because it's french so getting a cassole isn't too far lmao
>>20693871
>>20693816
I'm never making coq au vin ever again, thanks anons
>>
File: 1000006045.jpg (36 KB, 554x554)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>20694283
>Any info about French cuisine would be greatly appreciated
really should keep a French thread going, it's been very insightful.

You should also look into Pierre Koffman if you haven't yet. He and Marco Pierre White are the two I take the most inspiration from at the moment. MPW may be English but he does the French processes as they should be done.

If I get to the level of being able to successfully cook the pig trotter, I will finally feel complete.
>>
File: IMG_0163.jpg (1.21 MB, 1999x1499)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>20695484
Agreed...
This and maybe 2 other threads have been TOP-NOTCH.
>BREAD BREAD
>>20678484
and one other that I can't find...
no matter..
>>
>>20693594
I don’t know anything about French cooking but I think it’s cool you’re learning more about it.

>>20695737
Maybe it’s just me but post quality has been nice lately (all things considered lol)
>>
>>20695769
I really think it ha to do with the shills being otherwise occupied...
Or Laid off
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
>>
>>20693707
>I'm not talking about croissants I'm talking about pâte brisée, pâte sucrée and pâte sablée
>If my usage of the term pastry threw you off I probably have a loose definition of what constitutes pastry
>Do you think I should make croissants at least once? Or would Kouign-amann be better worth the effort
He kinda has a point. Using pate alone has a number of meanings.
If your lamination is making a mess though, you didn't roll your layers out evenly.
Seems you have a bright future ahead of you at McDonald's.
>>
>>20696094
The Paulie poster was not me, he was making a dumb joke about making a mess trying to laminate dough with a laminator
As for laminated pastry I'm not even sure why >>20693605 brought it up
You don't rub butter into flour for laminated pastry and so it should have been obvious I was referring to pâte brisée which he has apparently never heard of, at least not using the French term
>>
>>20694226
If I had to guess I'd say you didn't properly temper your eggs and made omelette cream. Either that or you're a retard that's wondering why his egg based desserts taste like egg
>>
>>20693594
Will soon try to make flan parisien myself. As for suggestions, you could try making brandade de morue or boudin noir if you can find some. For the real ass french experience look for andouillette
>>
>>20696163
Which recipe are you planning on using?
I still haven't made up my mind yet
>>
This thread made my browser display it's translation prompt. Speak English. Faggot.
>>
Mon ami... Such a sacriledge. Start with a baguette and move on to harder dishes.
Mastering baguette making will take 10 years anyway.
>>
I love sauces.
I guess you can call me a sauce maniac, you could diagnose me with a sauce induced psychosis. If sauce was my father, I’d call him ~daddy
~.

Please recommend some french sauces i can go coocoo crazy with please!!!
>>
>>20696369
A little something my parents taught me, definitely not haute cuisine

>cook chicken breast in pan with onions
>when done deglaze with creme fraiche on low heat
>when it starts bubbling add a teaspoon of dijon mustart
>add copious amount of black pepper
>chicken breast back in
>serve with rice

Very simple but very dear to my heart!
>>
>>20696193
Me neither, but I want to make it with lavender. So I first need to figure out how to make lavender milk that isn't bitter. Last year ai tried to make lavender ice cream by boiling some lavender in the milk and it was borderline inedible. I think a cold extraction overnight will yield better results
>>
>>20696369
You can always look at the mother sauces and their derivatives, but I think that saucy dishes have become somewhat passée. Nowadays mediterranean-style cooking is dominating. That said, I love me a steak with peppercorn sauce and it's very easy to prepare:
-cook steak in butter as you like
-after taking out the steak pour out excess fat
-add cognac to deglaze, flambé it to burn off the alcohol, make sure to scrape all thr bits of the bottom those are the most flavorful
-add peppercorn, beef stock, and cream
-reduce it to your desired thickness, add salt if necessary
-Voila
>>
>want to buy spirits for French cooking
>find it difficult to control myself when I smell them
>suddenly cooking with spirits becomes expensive
Goddamn it
>>
What are some internationally underrated French staple meals to make?
>>
>>20696784
french staple meals are regarded as fine dining
>>
>>20696784
>>20697065
There's lot of simple stuff that we often eat that's not represented in fine dining.
Like for lunch I made grated carrots as a starter:
Take some carrots, grate them (I prefer fine, but YMWM), make a vinaigrette (apple cider vinegar works well) and you can add a few other things (anchovies, tuna, tomatoes, even corn or cold rice) and voilà. It's not flashy, I'm not sure how specifically French it is, but that's not something I saw often abroad.
Or buckwheat crêpes/galettes:
Mix some buckwheat flour (330g) with water (0.75L), some salt and an egg. Let it rest for 1-2h, heat a frying pan, pour enough of the liquid to make a thin pancake, let a few minutes on the fire, return and heat the other side a few minute. Then either remove from the fire to use it later, or add the garnish directly. The classic garnish is egg+ham+cheese, but you can add pretty much anything you want.

In general even the really famous stuff can be bastardized so it's not such a pain in the ass, sure glazing pearl onions will probably make your beef bourguignon better (and prettier), but it will also work without that.
>>
>>20697512
Or take some pork tenderloin, color it in a dutch oven, remove from the fire, add onions, color them, add mushrooms, wait a few minutes, re-add the tenderloin, add some liquid (white wine, cider, stock...) cover, cook it low until pork is cooked through (something like 20min, don't overcook the tenderloin!). Remove the cover, add some cream to the sauce and wait 2-3min.
If the sauce is too liquid, you can remove the tenderloin to reduce it.
Serve with rice, pasta, mashed potatoes, whatever.
>>
>>20693594
Is this ken sama crossoverposting?
>>
>>20696784
I don't know which french dishes are known well internationally, but i'm guessing that more local dishes are probably less known. Here are some that I like:
>Brandade de morue
A casserole made with cod, potatoes and cream. Good winter chow
>Cassoulet
Bean casserole with duck and pork sausage
>Bouillabaisse
French version of brodetto, it's a fish and shellfish stew. Traditionally served with rouille (a sort of spiced mayonaisse)
>Socca
A chickpeas flour pancake from Nice
>Tielle sétoise
A pie filled with a tomato sauce with octopus and mussels
>Fiadone
A corsican lemon-cheese tart
>Quenelles
A sort of fish croquet that's served with lobster sauce
>Cervelle de canut
A simple cheese spread with herbs
>Pissaladière
A sort of pizza or foccacia that's loaded with onion and anchovies
>Choucroute garnie
Sauerkraut with various meats and potatoes

Left out sweet stuff because I could make a whole other post with just pastries
>>
File: 1700799775200265.png (3.83 MB, 1600x1029)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB PNG
>>20697911
I am a hardcore rabid francophile
I've been studying French for 3 years and have been reading French literature for a year
I pretty much only read French literature, nothing in English besides the internet
I dream about France and sing La Marseillaise every single day, je suis haunté par la France
I want to get a good quality sabatier but sadly it seems to be difficult to get good quality sabatiers, I need a sabatier to cook true authentic French meals
Of course I have a Le Creuset cocotte
Eventually I would like to eat French food every single day
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZbbbkAVhE
I want to try making this
This guy is a scammer with his knives btw
>>20699168
Saved, thanks
>>
https://youtu.be/_DQClWXMtVE?si=MvH_ri4lVbbl-Va3

I know this is a French based thread, and I don't want to lead away from that, but this video inspires me to do everything. The philosophy behind why we make what we make, and why we hate ourselves for achieving less than perfect is really something beautiful. I love this community, hope you guys can love your next dish.
>>
>>20699213
Why did he put the ecoscore in his thumbnail? It's ironic right???
>>
>>20694226
ironic tardposting is still tardposting
>>
File: Vol-au-vent-3044556838.jpg (306 KB, 2992x2000)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>20693594
i don't have any French suggestion but as a Belgian and since it's around the corner .

The best Belgian menu is a "croquette de crevette" as a starter , "vol au vent" or "boulets liègeois" as a main dish and "lacquements" as a desert .
With BELGIAN fries of course
>>
>>20699753
Based.
>>
>>20699753
>i don't have any French suggestion
>comes with French suggestions
What did he mean with this?
>>
>>20696784
Salade frisée aux lardons (curly lettuce with bacon)
You have to prepare a very strong french dressing first (lots of vinegar, mustard and garlic)
Just fry some "lardons" (thick pieces of bacon), place them over the grossly cut lettuce. Add a lot of vinaigrette, toss and eat with a good baguette (enjoy while the bacon is still hot).
Some people like to add croûtons too.

For the vinaigrette, I usually put 2 large spoonfuls of strong mustard in a bowl, 2 cloves of finely minced garlic, salt + pepper, quite a bit of vinegar (3-4 tbsp) and mix. I then add a little bit of sunflower oil and mix well to make an emulsion, once it's done I add more oil. In general for a vinaigrette, the ratio is 3 tbsp of oil per tbsp of vinegar, but for salade frisée it's better to use less oil. Just add some oil, mix, taste, and add more until you find it good. The vinaigrette should be very acidic and garlicky.
>>
File: daffy.png (1.41 MB, 1567x991)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
Canard au miel (Duck with honey sauce)

throw a duck magret skin-side on medium-hot pan for 10 minutes. During cooking, remove the grease and add onion slices in there. Flip the duck, cook another 5 minutes on the other side, and remove the duck.
Add a few tbsp of honey, let it cook a bit and deglaze with white wine. Add 1 glass of stock with a tsp of corn starch, season and mix well. Let it thicken for a while, you can cut the duck in thick slices in the meantime.

This guy shows it quite well, and potato slices pan-fried in the duck grease are an excellent side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvLXQJJFq00
>>
File: Tarte-fine-tomate[1].jpg (239 KB, 1200x1567)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
Last idea:
Tomato and mustard pie

Unroll a pate feuilletée on a tray or place it in a mould. Cover it with a thick layer of Dijon mustard, a bit of tomato purée and some breadcrumbs to absorb the water from the tomatoes. Cover the whole thing with sliced tomatoes (tasty and ripe ones), season with salt, pepper, herbes de Provence, and cover with a dash of olive oil. Bake it in a 200 °C oven for 30-40 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdbJqMd0CX0
>>
File: Spermageddon.webm (250 KB, 1382x800)
250 KB
250 KB WEBM
did you guys see the weird ratatouille prequel?
>>
>>20693594
>french cuisine
what the fuck even is french cuisine?
people talk about french cuisine but never actually talk about what it actually is?
like wow, some snails, generic onion soup and some beef stew. woop-dee doo, such culture, many wow
>>
>>20701336
You truly are retarded. There's tons of examples in this thread.
>>
>>20701336
This whole thread is about french dishes, did you even read past the first two sentences retard?
>>
>>20701336
>what the fuck even is french cuisine?
The finest Islamic food in the world.
>>
>>20701341
Damn muslims sure love pork then
>>
Any update op? Did you try another recipe?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.