[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Trying To Evade Police.jpg (127 KB, 854x480)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
Use this thread to ask questions you think don't require a thread of their own.

The old thread no longer bumps: >>2815310

If you didn't get a response in the old thread, feel free to ask again here.
>>
>>2821841
>ding ding calling all retards
>>
File: file.png (5 KB, 391x27)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
Isn't this whole board just one big sq thread?
>>
>>2821841
are open floor plans keep air cooler/warmer in the summer/winter than traditional floor plans?
>>
>>2821958
It will be more even. It depends where your thermostat is. If you have more rooms, you can mess with the vents and save a little money if you don’t mind rooms on the west side of the house staying warmer on summer afternoons. Or often times I’ve had houses with thermostats in darker hallways, so rooms with windows stay warmer, and other rooms without direct sunlight are a few degrees cooler than whatever the thermostat is set too.

So like most questions, it depends. Open floor plan can be more efficient if you have a shitty thermostat location and don’t mess with the vents in a house with lots of rooms.
>>
How the fuck do people afford shops? All I want is a woodworking shop and a small metalworking shop. Nothing crazy. Welder, table saw, band saw, miter saw, planer etc. I cannot afford the land, the building, or all the tools and materials. I spend 2k a month on necessities and have like 1.5k left over post tax. It'd take me years to save up a down payment on some decent land plus a shop space and that doesn't include everything else involved. Do people just live on debt or something?
>>
>>2822093
most people are poor nowadays, if you're clearing 3.5k a month post tax you're amongst them
>>
>>2822093
There are a variety of ways to get them. Buying land is more a matter of life strategy to support rural life where land with old homes is cheap.

Poor areas of the US are wonderful if you personally are not poor. Rich get more land for their money when they choose wisely but so can others. My disabledbro saved enough for an undesirable lot, put a shitbox trailer on it and twenty years later it's paid off plus his massive roofover (insulated, it's basically a pole building over his trailer and works great). He's a DIY monster and both being crippled we help each other.

Mobile shops for renters are easy to do but not sufficiently discussed. For example shipping containers make great mobile shops for industry and the military which aren't hard to copy for yourself. When you move, so can they. While I prefer 40-foot High Cubes a standard height 20-footer can certainly work. That size can be moved by common medium duty rollback trailers in the US.

You can and I did erect a steel building shell on steel beams (one down each side of my 20x20 Steelmaster) then unbolted it when I got orders (I used anti-seize on all the bolts anticipating this).

There many ways to have a shop inside a home and keep it clean, and have tools and equipment in an apartment. (I crammed one and a half Harley Sportsters in my military wall locker and the room passed inspection.) There are many ways to work outdoors for short intervals like any tradesman does then bring your shit back indoors.

Decide how determined you are, because that's most of what it takes.
>>
>>2822093
>Do people just live on debt or something?
Where have you been the last 2 decades anon?
>>
does anyone know about home taxes?
i'm wondering if say you have a multi-wing building, with each wing able to count as its own residence, and you had a few friends with their families living in each of the wings
in terms of taxes, would it cost more if each wing was separate and owned by each family independently than if the building with all its wings was owned by one individual as a single property?
my thought is that if you have several families living in different wings of a building, but one of the families couldn't afford to keep their share, instead of burdening the entire building with tax and having the threat of foreclosure of the whole building, the wing that family owns could just be sold off as an independent residence to avoid foreclosure of the entire building
>>
>>2822174
Dunno about taxes, but surely you could design the building such that each wing can cheaply be turned into a legally separate house, and that shouldn't break the bank.
>>
>>2822093
I live on 1200eur a month and I'm building those two in my appartement. Just got a nice workbench with which I put on my (huge, 19m2) balcony, I covered it in grease as a temporary protection against rain and I'm currently figuring out how to produce watertight fabric. If that takes too long I'll just put a plastic tarp over it.
There are also two workshops in town, one I can use for 17eur a day and the other I'm yet to check out, looking at it naively it may actually be free bc "for the locals only". If I need to move something big I have it shipped or just ask someone with a car to do it for me, that bench was delivered for me for free by a random with a car and a trailer who was curious why someone was walking a workbench out of the industrial area by hand.
For planing I plan to use a workshop in town, welding I could easily do at home though it'd be some real cost to buy all kinds of welding shit so I'm tempted just to buy my own PPE and then use the local shop for that again.
I already brew alcohol and fabricate tobacco and do electronics at home, but that doesn't take much space. I'm hoping that I'll be able to make some nice strong and deep shelving with the equipment I have in-house now and then I can think about how to expand again. I'm definitely going to make a portable forge, one that fits in my 70L bike trailer, because I haven't found a forge that I could rent for a day yet.
>>
File: 20240708_040949.jpg (285 KB, 1536x2048)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
Is FreeCAD good for making detailed/complex 3D stuff? I've also got some projects in mind that have hinges/fold so I need to be able to rotate assemblies around a point... Just to check clearances, can FreeCAD do that in any way?

Also, how do I LEARN to make complex stuff?
My work involves a lot of simulation... So I trace over and simplify the mechanical designer's work. but man I just don't know how they get their stuff so detailed and nice looking.
>>
File: sink.jpg (260 KB, 738x965)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
I put Green Gobbler in the kitchen sink, and apparently it had sulfuric acid in it, so it stained the stainless steel. is there any way to remove the stains or is it permanently etched?
>>
>>2821841
>>2821841
What is everyone’s favorite flashlight? Do you go the cheap route and just replace them, or go the nice route and buy once? I’d like to find one that’s:
>rechargable, ideally with swappable battery
>very bright
>hopefully has a strong magnet or attaching coil to hang when im working in a closet
>both regular flashlight bulb and an option to use a “worklight” on the side
None of those individually are deal breakers, just looking for a good flashlight, tell me what you use /diy/
>>
>>2822275
>s there any way to remove the stains or is it permanently etched?
Grinding, sanding, polishing, buffing. In that order.
>>
>>2822305
>Grinding, sanding, polishing, buffing. In that order.

The bottom of stainless steel sinks aren't polished.
The finish is called 'brushed' but the same effect can be had with carefull directional sanding.
Sand back and forth in the direction of the rest of the finish.
I usually use foam sanding blocks frequently use on drywall.
Experiment with the grit that gives the finish most similar to undamaged areas.
>>
File: cheep.jpg (74 KB, 650x488)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2822292
I just have a handful of these cheap LED things that stick on a 9v battery.
I use the batteries from my smoke detectors - they usually have good charge left after I replace them.

They're not really great as far as flashlights go, they don't have any of the features that you described in your comment, but they work just fine for me when I need a flashlight (which isn't very often).
>>
>>2822292
>rechargable
miss me with that bullshit
>>
File: CAD.png (200 KB, 1420x1073)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>2822222
digits

Fusion360 has a very powerful free version, they fuck with you but once you get it set up and the basic paradigm it's not hard.
>how do I LEARN
make shit. you won't be able to navigate the software without experience and understanding different modes and shit all of which you need before you worry about rigging. there is a workflow and Fusion360 has an editable timeline and you need to be able to do a box before you can do full gearset from a transmission.
>>
Q1: Is there a vehicle search process/database? House was burgled, neighbor noticed the vehicle wasn't familiar, but something was goofy about the tag and couldn't read it to write down. It was an early 90s conversion van, so seems like it'd could be narrowed down. Cops were unimpressed and said they'd let me know if my guns turn up.
I posted a BOLO ad/reward for info. Somebody responded and said a van matching that description is seen everyday one street from them, but unsure of the house. I've checked 2-3 times/day for a few weeks to no avail. They might have upgraded what they're driving.
Q2: Is it feasible to gather the tag numbers to determine the owners, and then search what cars that person owns?
Q3: no videos from the neighbors; I'm now installing my own cameras. Any other ideas?
>>
>>2822365
trail cam on that street? just to narrow the times. park a beater if you don't want to hide it in the open.

license plate lookups got severely nuked in the 90s because the ease of public access led to a lot of harassment. back in the day you could get a girl's address just with a plate number and a chummy cop.

anyway, the plate was probably obscured. we have tolls and people sand them, paint over them, cover them will yellowed plastic, and everything else you can think of. they range from difficult to make out to impossible to tell if there is a plate. the cops don't do shit, about 20% of vehicles have expired out of state plates and they've jut given up enforcing it.

also beware, my MIL was hit and a few weeks later after replacing stuff with insurance money was hit again by the same people. the cops said "yeah they do that" but never warned her. your best way to find them might be to sit at home. oh also even if you can see them fully framed facing the camera in good lighting the cops are going to shrug and go whatever.
>>
>>2822093
See >>2822151

0% APR for 18mos on purchases over $500!

>>2822197
Sure

>>2822365
Other than VIN checks which will show where and when it was last sold, it’s hard to do much unless you know somebody official who can access police/dmv databases. I doubt you will get very far knowing “a 90s conversion van” because there’s likely thousands still registered in any populated area. Not to mention lots of felony crimes like home robberies are committed with stolen vehicles, so finding the owner leads you down a long trail.

I would’ve looked for cameras anywhere on main roads they would’ve gone down while getting away, but you need to get out there the first day before it’s overwritten. I would cruise the area seeing if a familar van is parked in the hood in the hood somewhere, and check pawn shops while your at it for the guns since the cops likely don’t care too much. Pawn shops may wait a few weeks to put the guns on the floor because they sometimes have a hold after it’s sold to them, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>2822319
Fair enough.
>>
>>2822093
>Nothing crazy.
>Welder, table saw, band saw, miter saw, planer etc.
Pic one of these 2 options.
>>
>>2822093
What are you actually making? Are you watching YT videos and dreaming being the next Jimmy Diresta or Blacktail studio? Take a look at what nerdforge pulled off in her living room with hand tools. Or that other british nerd who made full computer cases with a hack saw, a dremel and a few files.

But to answer your question : most people use their garage as a shop and park their cars in the driveway. The next step up is to rent a space, but you'd only do that if it's generating revenue. Very few people are going to buy land to build a shop to fill the shop with tools to start a business. Places like wormwood studios did all their work out of a rented house for years.
>>
>>2822403
>that other british nerd
https://www.youtube.com/@DIYPerks
>>
So i want to make a rope ladder. I have only flat wood planks that could be used as steps. Now my problem is i want to use the ladder against an obstacle therefore the steps could as far as i'm concerned topple over because the steps would be in direct contact with the obstacle at all time.
Would making a sandwich from two wooden plank work out? It would increase the overall surface contact therefore reduce the chance for any rotation inward/outward when stepped on.
Any other idea? No,i don't have access for hardwood wooden sticks.
>>
>>2822292
Why not build your own? LEDs are cheap, 18650s are cheap, and battery management circuits are cheap. You can add whatever features you want to it.
>>
>>2822409
Try using four ropes instead of two to increase stability.
>>
File: 1703521626660500.jpg (26 KB, 724x542)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2822411
Of fucking course,i'm so retarded. cheers anon
>>
>>2821958
not if you have central air for cooling/heating or boiler system for heating

if you have window units then yes

>>2822077
you're fucking stupid, thermostat location has nothing to do with efficiently
>>
>>2822441
What you talking about? You realize the thermostat is what is measuring the temp and deciding if the system should run or not, right?
>>
>>2822332
Yea idk if that’s quite what I’m looking for in this situation, but those seem like cool little tools. Definitely interesting, I might pick a few up, ty for sharing
>>
>>2822410
Hmmm… that’s a cool idea. Could be good soldering practice as my skills have gotten rusty af. Another reason I really need to buy a 3D printer
>>
>>2822441
>thermostat location has nothing to do with efficiently
Confirmed for lives in mom’s basement and the thermostat is upstairs so anon has no clue what an electric bill even looks like

If you have the thermostat in a dark hallway near the air handler and a kitchen and dining room that is open with windows to the west, it’s going to be like 10deg warmer at least while preparing dinner at 5-6pm in the summer in the kitchen, and if you want to have the kitchen and dining room at a comfortable temp, that hallway and any darker or east facing bedrooms are going to be near 60F while you try to get the dining room table down to 75F.
>>
>>2822464
>if A and B and C with some D, E and F occurs, but specifically G happens then I'm totally right!
You tripfags are really are so vane that you can't resist digging your hole deeper to save face
>>
Not sure if this belongs here. Is Ali express a scam? The ego lawnmowers are so expensive for just some plastic and a battery.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806884112682.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.46ac53173xKZ1J&browser_id=41a397308a974df7aae5fa889f9805bb&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=uthwbilucaurlyos19095ae8eba4f8df41312e0bb7&gclid=&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21USD%212261.56%21787.05%21%21%2116400.00%215707.37%21%40210312d517204981628742248eb88e%2112000039306916821%21sea%21US%210%21AB&algo_pvid=0c29db81-61b4-4dbf-930c-f697ac8df386
>>
File: IMG_3586.jpg (187 KB, 1000x1000)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
Was referred here from /g/. Looking for some advice on buying a backup generator for AC and refrigerators. Our home has been without power for the last 15 hours after Tropical Storm Beryl came in and fucked our shit up. This is the second time we’ve, been in a situation without power for longer than a few hours, and from what I hear, they’re anticipating that it’ll last for at least another day or two.

Don’t know the first goddamn thing about them, so even rudimentary tips on buying one would be appreciated.
>>
>>2822588
you definitely shouldnt look up what a suicide cord is. or why you need to turn off the main breaker as the first step
>>
I want to have a (probably 120v wall-powered) decibel meter that I can switch on and maybe just activate an LED when my environment exceeds a certain threshold. I'm an extreme novice but I do have the time/budget to learn as I go and pick up what I need. Any recommendations for how you might start a project like this?
>>
>>2822539
He right though, it’s a pretty simple point about thermostat placement. What exactly are you even arguing? All I can decipher is a bunch of seethe
>>
>>2822348
I'm actually looking at FreeCAD as an alternative to F360, which I already use for hobby stuff.
10 project files max? They can eat a dick.
>>
>>2822588
See >>2822595

The honest way to do it is to have a proper transfer switch installed so you don’t backfeed the grid and electrocute any power company dudes trying to restore power. Although in previous storms around here, FPL guys listen for generators and tell you to shut them off when they’re working in the neighborhood.

5kW-7kW is a good size for running a bunch of household stuff minus a big central AC, but if you’re doing AC, you might be looking more like a 10kW generator. Remember that they burn through a good amount of gas though. My 6kW generator will burn through a 5gal tank at half load in maybe 8hrs, so if you’re trying to keep your whole house lit and cool 24/7, you better be running a gas station. Most people run them intermittently to keep the fridge cold and charge up the phones.

Patrician route, if you have natural gas or propane at your house, is to get one of those Generac systems with an automatic transfer switch. That bitch will fire up as soon as it detects and outage and it will be like nothing even happened.
>>
File: IMG_3589.jpg (19 KB, 343x343)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2822611
>if you have natural gas or propane at your house, is to get one of those Generac systems with an automatic transfer switch
Yeah, we definitely have a natural gas line. So these are the better choice then, eh? They’re definitely pricier (or at least closer to the price I originally envisioned). It’s probably worth it in order to escape the hellish bullshit of days without power.

AC isn’t quite as important as salvaging the food in the fridge, but being able to have it as well would be great. The weather down here can be pretty intolerable without an AC unit.
>>
I keep getting these small flying gnat like bugs come from my sink every time I shave. I know it isn't alchemy creating them. I've tried pouring bleach and draino down and that gets rid of them until the next time I shave. Is it an infestation? What do I do to get rid of them for good
>>
My earphone charger is busted. What are some easy DIY makeshift charges i could make with very little to no skill?
>>
>>2822662
Just buy one for $2 on amazon.
>>
>>2822673
wasted 2 hours trying to fix the current one. Should've just bought a new one instantly. It would've been an easy fix except the FUCKING chinks design everything in a way that's not meant to be repaired.

Like, instead of just being able to be plugged in, you need a very specific kind of a charging port that can sorta "slide" into the earbud. Every brand has their own designs and distances between the ports etc. too, so you can't just buy whatever and replace it, you NEED the specific type of a charger.
>>
>>2822730
Nobody thinks you’re cool, Tyrone. You don’t look “nigger rich” just because you walk around with your ear buds in.
>>
Resources for learning cell phone repairing
>>
>>2822730
Then buy all new headphones
This is the only real solution
By the time you fix what you have, you'll be deeper than just buying new
If you buy the same ones, you can charge while you listen
You wasting time at the beginning was your own ignorance
The only things worth /diy/ing are cars, houses, furniture, heavy equipment, trailers, and creating consumer products with reasonable plan to sell for profit

>>2822638
They're coming from the overflow drain

>>2822596
I assume this is already a product available for purchase
If nothing else, a baby monitor with a light meter would work

>>2822566
It takes forever to receive, some products not even being manufactured yet but it's not a scam
I will say brand-name stuff is easier to repair tho

>>2822174
It's probably taxed by square footage but you should easily be able to look up how property taxes are assessed for your area

>>2822093
Cut all your expenses, move to a cheaper area, make more money, save money, buy property, make part of property workshop

In my area, you can buy commercial warehouse condos for under $150k which would be the cheapest option if you're going to be retarded and insist on living in an apartment

>>2821958
Properly HVAC'd they should be similar
A common problem with open area is builders cheap out on HVAC so it's not even temps whereas a more divided house would necessitate more vents and returns sized more appropriately, covering each sqft better for more even temps
>>
>>2822739
It's an absolute waste of time
It's getting to the point that iPhones aren't even worth repairing
Just get the cheapest unlocked android with the features you think you need so you can replace it whenever it breaks
I've been doing moto g powers and they're pretty fucking sweet NGL
I can replace it for less than an iPhone screen

Always recycle your electronics tho
We can't live in decadence AND throw everything into landfills

T. Used to repair phones learned from YouTube
>>
>>2822746
I live in Europe, everybody uses android here.

I just want to learn.
>>
>>2822588
>so even rudimentary tips
Not worth it unless you get multi-day outages more then once every year, or you have specific equipment that must never be off (medical, etc). If you go looking for a generator during a blackout you're going to be paying a huge markup.
>>
File: 2ptorqeh.png (272 KB, 900x809)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
possibly the dumbest question. where can I find a cheap sealant applicator (calking gun) for 50ml SINGLE containers like pic related? All the cheap ones I find are guns designed for 2 part compounds that require two tubes, and I don't think they will work with just 1 tube. i have a regular sized calking gun but i don't think it will work.
>>
File: IMG_20240705_152508.jpg (2.27 MB, 2448x3264)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
I recently got the old toolbox of a relative. Can you guys tell me what these things are called, what they are used for, and whether I can sell them?
>>
File: IMG_20240708_060645.jpg (2.09 MB, 2448x3264)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>2822823
>>
File: IMG_20240708_064734.jpg (2.02 MB, 2448x3264)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>2822824
>>
File: IMG_20240708_072917.jpg (1.8 MB, 2448x3264)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>2822825
>>
File: IMG_20240708_065444.jpg (2.04 MB, 2448x3264)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>2822826
Is this for a door? If so, then it's a fricking huge door. This thing is like 20-30cm long
>>
File: IMG_20240708_072928~2.jpg (722 KB, 2448x3264)
722 KB
722 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20240708_073201.jpg (2.03 MB, 2448x3264)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
>>2822823
Pipe cutter
>>2822824
>>2822825
>>2822826
scrap metal
>>2822828
door jam
>>2822829
Some kind of specialized socket turner thing
>>
File: IMG_20240708_073701.jpg (1.99 MB, 2448x3264)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>2822832
>>
>>2822833
Thanks!
>>
>>2822832
that's an old 70's style scrotum clamp, the modern ones have a pinch guard
>>
>>2822837
kek
>>
>>2822834
10mm socket. That's precious find. Those things are really rare.
>>
File: IMG_4246.jpg (17 KB, 500x500)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2822832
Its drillhandle without handle, probably from makita
>>
>>2822840
>>2822843
Thanks!
>>
>>2822813
you sure as shit didnt try very hard
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803512000137.html
>>
>>2822759
You don’t live in an area with hurricanes, do you? When they hit, there’s a good chance you lose power for at least a week, maybe 2-3 weeks. Having that generator to have a fan on from time to time and have real food besides cold Chef Boyardee is worth the ~$500 for a generator is worth it for a lot of people. Especially if you have a family with multiple people in the house, you could lose nearly that much money worth of food when everything in the freezer and fridge goes bad

>>2822622
There are plenty of smaller 5kW-10kW multi-fuel generators, I’m sure you could get a natural gas hookup assuming there’s nothing in the code against it where you live. Look up “LNG Generators”. And then you can run extension cords or think about a transfer switch if you don’t want to go the suicide cord route. With the transfer switch and panel, I think they will hook up whatever circuits you want so you keep it in line with the generator size, like maybe you get the kitchen and master bedroom and living room on a transfer switch for a 6kW-8kW generator, but skip the water heater and AC and guest bedroom.

I just run extension cords off mine, too cheap to get the transfer panel but an old neighbor had one put in a couple years ago and it’s easy. I have a portable AC unit too if I want a little cool air in the living room without getting a 15kW whole house generator that burns 20gal of gas in half a day.

There’s even smaller portable generators that have auto-start when they notice a power interruption with the transfer switch, and you can parallel up two generators and run them depending on demand. There are lots of options depending how deep you want to go and how comfortable you want to be. But at the very least a 3kW-4kW gas generator can be found for <$500 easy and will run the fridge, microwave, and some lights and phone chargers. They last quite a few years too as long as you take care of them because your not running it daily.
>>
>>2822849
>)
>You don’t live in an area with hurricanes, do you?
What part of "multi-day outages more than once a year" was hard for you to understand?
>>
>>2822849
>>2822622
Fwiw, if you want to buy one for next storm season, watch Home Depot’s “Deal of the Day” or look for a cheap used one after the storm. Or try to find one that isn’t running right for basically free, my neighbor got a free smaller Generac a few years back that would only run for 15sec then shut off, I threw a $10 oil pressure sensor at it and she ran like a champ.

I like Generacs, you will probably spend like 20% more over generic brands for em, but they’re not Honda priced and you can get parts and service easily if you ever want to drop good money on a big Generac and transfer switch. I literally found parts for that free Generac at Advance Auto Parts, which can’t always be said for random store brands.

I recommend at least getting a little 3kW-4kW guy because those hot post-storm nights without a fan running and cold beer are brutal, especially when you start getting to night 3-4. And when they start restoring power to gas stations but your neighborhood is still out, you will be running that thing 24/7 to have a little sense of the 20th century.
>>
>>2822852
Because most places don’t get hit hard by hurricanes every year. It’s a once every 5-10 year thing. But when they hit, it’s summer and it’s always hot and humid as shit after the storm and multi-day doesn’t mean 2-day like a bad midwest thunderstorm.

It was a shitty reply for somebody who obviously has never been in the situation.
>>
>>2822866
Paying 1000+ and doing regular maintenance on something I might need every 5-10 years seems like a waste of my time and money.
>>
File: roof.jpg (211 KB, 935x869)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>2821841
I would like this single sloped chimken coop roof to be strong enough to withstand the weight of a grizzly bear standing on it whilst its also covered in 2ft of snow.

Could anyone possibly show or tell me the best placement of the diagonal support beam (the skinny one being held by a clamp) for maximum strength?
>>
>>2822873
Yeah well you picked worst case scenario for both of em, you can snag a 3kW-4kW guy for like $400 brand new if you watch the sales, and you’re putting like 50 hours on the thing every 5 years, so it pretty much costs you a quart of oil every year if you keep up with maintenance, or a quart of oil every 5 years if you’re a regular person, and there’s not really any repair until something breaks which could be season #3, #7, or maybe #12 and it’s time to replace something small.

You’ve obviously never gone through a storm because that ~$500 is worth it to save a fridge full of food once and to be able to not sleep in a puddle of your own sweat for 2 weeks straight. 2 days of no power isn’t the end of the world, you can charge the phone in your car and try to stay sane, but 2 weeks and your cell phone’s internet barely works because the towers are running on backup, that $500 aint so bad to have a TV turned on and an old Simpsons Season 6 dvd.

It’s like the lithium jumper bricks I shill to everybody on /o/, they’re like $60 and pay for themselves the first time you use them. Even if you have roadside assistance, $60 is worth not being stranded waiting for 2+ hours for lots of people, even if you only use the thing twice before it get so old that the lithium cells start swelling.
>>
>>2822885
>$400 brand new
Does this include the interconnect?
>>
>>2822873
you sound poor, and not like the type of person who can afford to own a home
>>
>>2822903
And yet, I bought my house in 2002. Where you even born?
>>
>>2822896
Nah that’s for a basic like 3000W/4000W generator that you plug extension cords into… or make your suicide cord and flip the correct breakers, but do your research on that.

The transfer panel is between you and an electrician. It’s a couple hours for them to install it normally, it’s an outlet somewhere outside and you get a fat generator plug that goes from the generator to the box, and then a transfer switch and whatever few circuits you want to run off the generator. I’m sure they want a grand to do it at least, but you don’t need that to keep your fridge cold, that’s more if you get a big generator and want to run more major appliances and avoid the hassle of extension cords.

Find some youtube vids and you will understand how it’s set up. If you’re planning on owning the house for years down the line and raising a family there, the transfer box might be worth it to you if you have the cash.
>>
>>2822922
I know all of this. It's what I figured into my original estimate of 1000 bux. Anon counters with
>BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT THE GENERATOR IS ONLY 400 BUX !
as if a generator is all one needs.

I'll be honest with you, I don't really care. Every time I have a black out that lasts over a few hours (this happens at least once a year where I live) I look into it. Each time I figure it's not worth it. I'd much rather enjoy a few days in 100% silence.
>>
>>2822896
>>2822922
If you can splice a couple extension cords together though, you can do what this anon said not to do >>2822595

But as a real human bean, I cannot in good faith recommend it, like I cannot recommend refilling a leaky AC system even if I have done it myself numerous times.

Picrel is how a real transfer switch box is setup, and there might be a lower tech “interlock”, and below that is the suicide cord, which is either above or below running a rat’s nest of extension cords through your house.

Make sure you learn how your circuit breaker panel works and what it controls before you definitely do not make a suicide cord. If you fry somebody from the electric company, your power definitely won’t come back on any sooner.
>>
>>2822926
You don’t need the transfer box, you can get a $600 generator and spend a few bucks on extension cords and power your fridge and a bunch of other stuff in your house.

The suicide cord plus flipping the right breakers is basically a transfer switch, but we follow NEC code around here so you gotta ask Google about that.
>>
>>2822927
Don't you just add liquid until the compressor makes a loud bang and stops running?
>>
>>2822931
Sure, then the leak isn’t your main concern anymore.
>>
is it stupid to have not one but two separate window ac's installed? my apartment has been like an oven and my 8000btu one isnt cutting it. my dad has a spare 5000btu that im considering throwing into another window in the apartment. im on the top floor of a 3 story brick building that has no insulation.
>>
>>2822946
>is it stupid to have not one but two separate window ac's installed?
In the same room? Yes. Get one that's sized for your room.
>>
>>2822947
i dont have the funds for it atm, obviously
>>
>>2822948
If your old man gives you the 5000btu one then that is by far the most cost effective rout, go for it
>>
>>2822948
But you will have the funds to run 13k btu AC?
>>
>>2822949
gonna do it
>>2822950
400 dollars for a new ac or an extra 10 bones on the electric bill at the end of the month... what do you think?
>>
File: Image_95.jpg (311 KB, 1152x2048)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
So looks like the lettering/numbering from a jersey somehow found its way onto my parent's fabric couch.
Is there any way I can remove this or is it beyond fixing?
>>
>>2822946
no. especially if your AC units dont have dual inverters. with that said if you're buying new window units, the LG dual inverters are nice.
>>
So a family member heard I do woodworking and asked me to make a very specific table to match their existing kitchen cabinetry. I've got it mostly figured out (nothing too crazy except that matching the routed design on the drawer faces is gonna suck), but have concerns because they want to finish it on-site. Once I've built it, it's going to sit around for several months before traveling over a thousand miles south to a very different climate (much more humid). Should I seal that wood immediately after fabrication with something that can be painted over on-site? If so, what sort of sealant takes typical paints well? Would something like polyacrylic or a water-based polyurethane be appropriate?
>>
File: IMG20240629193028.jpg (3.9 MB, 4096x3072)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
Okay my NIGGERS (sorry for profanity I am having a bad day) how the FUARK do I tell which of these wires is the neutral wire!? My dad ripped out his ceiling fan one night when he was drunk and I'm trying to put a new one in. I've already determined the hot wire with my voltage tester but don't know how to tell between ground and neutral
>>
>>2822997
neither of those will be ground, in fact ground is rarely ran for lighting.
>>
I fucking hate house mice. I ripped out my kitchen because of the retarded drain piping was allowing them to get in. Now how do I reinforce it so that they don't fine their way back when I hang cabinets again?
>>
>>2823006
were they coming in through the drain, or through the hole in the wall around the pipe. if the former a strainer would keep them from getting in, if the latter just put steel wool around the hole
>>
>>2823007
I've done the steel wool thing in various locations and holes they've made. And the latter, they are climbing around the pipes rather than through them. I am going to spray inside the hole, fill it with steel wool, then caulk around it and then attach 20-24 gauge sheet metal right around the pipe and see what happens. I have to do the same thing in the basement corners right at the foundation attached concrete walls or whatever they are called.
>>
File: cheap pl0x.png (94 KB, 600x600)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
Anyone know of an adjustable angle clamp that can connect two 1/2 inch rods together?
>>
>>2822997
Makes no difference probably. Worst case Ontario the fan will spin the wrong way. But they have a reverse anyway so just wire it up.
>>
>>2823019
https://www.mcmaster.com/product/9578T19
>>
>>2822997
>don't know how to tell between ground and neutral
The white wire is neutral.
One black wire is for the fan motor.
The other black wire is for the fan light.
>>
>>2821841
I want to make outdoor painted plywood type decorations for Halloween. Basically just a board with a basic stand made of planks.
What materials should I use and how should I treat them so they last a month in the sun and occasional rain before getting stored in the garage for next year?
>>
>>2823019
Your mother is fairly good at dealing with 2 rods at the same time. Maybe see what she reckons.
>>
>>2823090
Fkn Sean Connery up in here
>>
>>2822933
>get incandescent lighting without a light bulb using this one simple trick
>>
File: file.png (31 KB, 1320x854)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
can I burry a zinc metal as sacrificial anode that's electrically connected to a steel Pipe pole?

will it work?
>>
File: Pipe.jpg (250 KB, 1455x1455)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
May I please know if those shiny black PVC "bondage" tapes that stick to themselves the same thing as PVC tape that goes around leaking pipes? I have the former and I need a temporary fix till I can get a plumber to help replace a pipe segment. The soft white tape doesn't work anymore. I was also wondering about silicone caulk and if I can use it in this case.
Thank you!
>>
>>2823121
is that… are you using teflon thread sealing tape to try and seal a leaky pipe by wrapping it on the outside of the join?
I just want to know if I should be having a stroke or not
>>
>>2823121
That tape is made to fill the space between male and female threads
It's not a repair
Just put a container down to catch the drip

>>2823085
The big problem with sanded plywood is that the edges are almost impossible to seal
If you could plastidip the edges and paint the rest 3+ coats of exterior paint(drying completely in between), it might actually be waterproof
The alternative is to buy marine grade plywood but I would still treat it the same, you'd just have a way better product at the end for longevity

>>2823006
Pest block expanding foam the penetration

>>2822996
If they're going to paint it, just prime it
Also, you should wait to build it until it's needed

>>2822955
Put down a paper towel and iron it until it melts and sticks to the paper towel

I would try heating it up just a bit and see if it scrapes off cleanly before melting it all the way tho

>>2822588
They'll probably be price gouged in your area
I would order one from northern tool and have it shipped to your house

You want running watts over 6000 if you think you want to run the a/c, fridge and a small toaster oven
You need a plug/cord that can handle that load into the panel though
I would wire in an appropriately sized generator plug and buy the right cord

I would probably just wire in a 40 or 50amp 220v plug right by the panel and then you can look up how to wire it based on the output plug on the generator asvling as the output is smaller than the plug's max load

So big generator+ socket properly wired into new breaker on the panel + correct sized wire in wall and out+ correct sized plugs
Obviously make sure your cord lets the generator sit outside

You can buy generator plugs which would definitely be better but as long as the generator is off and the breaker to the socket is off when you plug/unplug the cord, you'll be fine

Always shut off main power/breaker when running a generator
>>
>>2822588
>28000 watts
>Gas powered
Imagine how fucking loud that thing is holy shit
>>
>>2822933
Retards will use suicide cords to plug in Chrismas lights when the plug is just inside the roll and then wonder why their house burns down when a squirrel gets to close to the hot plug on the other end instead of just unrolling the fucking lights and installing them the right direction
>>
>>2823184
duh that’s why you attach the suicide cord between the strands and then plug the hot plug at the other end back into the wall outlet for safety. That way, there are no open ends in the circuit.
>>
>>2823171
Ahh yes ;_;. It kinda held up the drip for a while but I think the break's gotten bigger over the last two weeks.
>>2823181
I see, thank you! Will put a container and get someone to look at it soon. I tried the PVC tape and it kinda made the drip worse so I've left it like my initial picture. The pipe segment's about 30+ years old and is feeding into the toilet bowl tank and seems to be high pressure. There's no ball valve before it to shut off water before it reaches the joint.
>>
>>2823182
its got a chonda gx690 clone. theyre not that loud or obnoxious
a true rated 20kw genset with a 3-53n salt water chevy would make a racket to let all the neighbors within a mile know youve got power
>>
>>2823262
>theyre not that loud or obnoxious
So they are loud and obnoxious, just not "that" loud and obnoxious.

Power outage is the one time I can get actual silence.
>>
File: ds2broken.png (850 KB, 1024x768)
850 KB
850 KB PNG
These things appear to have broken on my Dualshock 2. What kind of glue/whatever (and with what tools maybe) would I be better off using to make a proper job of fixing it?
>>
File: 20240128_134659.jpg (106 KB, 828x645)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>2823284
>>
>>2823182
28kW isn’t necessarily any louder than a 1500W generator, all depends on exhaust. A 25cc chainsaw is louder than most generators and it’s a way smaller engine. Most of those portable generators aside from super quiet inverter models seem to be about as loud as a quiet lawnmower.
>>
Anyone have experience with replacing an automotive 12v battery with a capacitor lithium battery combo for cheap? Or is this a retarded idea and I should just get the more expensive lithium units built for this purpose. This is purely for weight savings.
>>
>>2823316
Turning "freedom" into a dirty word.
>>
>>2823307
if that’s ABS you can possibly weld it with acetone, or use an ABS adhesive, which is usually a premix of acetone and ground-up ABS. Shock-resistant cyanoacrylate superglue could also possibly work, but you need the specific shock-resistant formulation if that part will undergo flexing from button presses.
The problem is that if that part undergoes mechanical strain regularly, it’s hard to get it back to its original strength. I sometimes fix small parts like that using the “drill a tiny hole and put a tiny screw in” method, but in that case you would need to use the tiny machine screw in place of the guide because that little tab is too small to drill into.
Half the remote controls in my house are held together with CA adhesive because everyone in my household is apparently psychotic. Game controllers are hard to fix because they need to stand up to frequent abuse and not just occasional
>>
>>2823372
lithium batteries need control and balancing circuitry and if your car alternator is constantly putting current into the battery when it’s already charged, you will soon have a front row seat to an exciting fireworks show.
it may be possible to replace the lead-acid battery with a properly designed and built lithium battery using the correct battery chemistry and control circuitry, but this is not really the kind of thing that you want to afro-engineer.
>>
>>2823385
Well let's just say it will be a proper circuit with a bms for the lithium. Is this even worth it? I can pick up an automotive lithium starter battery with integrated bms for $500
>>
File: 1694043968682435.png (193 KB, 640x640)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
Does anyone know how the poison blocks like the image work? I'm looking for something that mice can't stockpile somewhere, do they chip off parts of it and carry it with them or eat it in place? Liquid poison isn't available where I am.
>>
>>2823415
They eat it and it gives them.a heart attack and uncontrollable bleeding.

They might shove some in their cheeks but they don't actually get very far
>>
>>2823420
I was just concerned because I've found stockpiles of their food in animal feed and stuff like that and I don't want to poison my animals.
>>
>>2823435
Oh, pretty reasonable concern. Probably figure out a way to keep.them out of the food
>>
>>2823435
Poison is generally a bad idea if you have animals.
If its cats or dogs they may end up eating the poisoned mice and then getting sick themselves.
If you've got livestock then its almost impossible to keep mice out of their feed.
>>
>>2823415
The hole through the center is for rod that keeps them inside the bait box.
If you're not using a bait box put a wire of some sort through the hole and attach it to something that can't be easily moved.
If they aren't attached, the mouse/rat will carry them away and store them for later.
When they're attached, they have to chew on them in place.
I have three bait stations outside around my rural property.
In two other instances inside, I use a length of wire coat-hanger to keep them in place.
>>
>>2823456
So they don't flake apart and then allow them to carry and stash the bits? I don't want to find a pile of poison somewhere outside the bait area.
>>
I need a fucking 1" 1/4 ABS end cap. Ships to Canada. Won't cost 60 fucking bux. Anyone got a lead?
>>
>>2823210
I went and got wet area sealant and I hope I can buy some time before calling in a proper plumber.
>>
>>2821841
i got one 100AH lead acid battery. should I stick with one 12v panel or use two? i dont know if its better to run in parallel or series even though I think the voltage gets wasted in my charge controller anyway.
>>
File: let there be light.jpg (72 KB, 736x340)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
My dad is adding a light over their backdoor and has drilled a hole through the wall to run a conduit for the electrical. I mentioned that he should run some ethernet through the conduit just in case he later wants to add a security camera. He agreed but now I'm wondering if there could be an issue with having ethernet (probably cheap cat5) in the same conduit as 110. Would it cause interference? Will the amount of current matter? He's probably going to go with an LED spotlight but he's a bit of a miser so if he finds an old incandescent spotlight in the garage, he will use that instead.
>>
>>2823561
>an issue with having ethernet (probably cheap cat5) in the same conduit as 110.
I've heard it said that it's a bad idea to have low voltage (ethernet) and high voltage (mains) in the same conduit. But I don't think it will create much of an electrical problem. I suspect it's more of a fire thing.

(OK, so not a completely useful answer)
>>
File: IMG_20240710_171125083.jpg (2.09 MB, 4000x3000)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
New floors installed. Is this acceptable?
>>
>>2823652
Standard is something like 1/4" over 10'
But if you can’t notice it without the level, then I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
>>
>>2823654
There's nearly a half inch of difference across that four foot level. Easily noticeable, your feet can tell the ground is uneven. I think it's fucked :(
>>
>>2823561
SFTP cable exists for this purpose

>>2823652
no
>>
>>2823652
It was uneven before the floor was installed.
What's your problem?
>>
>>2822275
barkeeper's friend would work for that. If you polish it regularly you could get the sink to a mirror finish. The brushed finish is overrated, it just gives dirt and calcium a grippy surface to hold on to, cleaning will be easier once it's smooth.
>>
>>2823181
>If they're going to paint it, just prime it
Thank you for reminding me I'm a moron, and that wood primer exists.
>>
I am trying to install new door lock and I am sooo struggling with the fucking spindle. It is too long. I need to cut it off and the instructions say so too. Last thread I asked how to do that, someone suggested using 2 pliers. No, I just keep bending it, it's not breaking off.
How the fuck do I shorten this spindle. I have no access to power tools
>>
>>2823561
>interference
It may cause errors that effectively slow down your speed somewhat, but I wouldn't worry about it for a porch light. The ethernet data protocol has error detection and handling that will correct itself at the cost of a slight speed reduction, but for a single security camera and a porch light it's not going to matter.
You'll be fine.
>>
>>2823702
if you don't have a bolt cutter and you can't do it with pliers, then use a hacksaw.
>>
File: file.png (1.92 MB, 1153x866)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB PNG
can someone suggest how I should fill this hole? I was thinking of some sort of sand 0-5mm or so but reading online they write its not safe and would further sag after a while. This happened after heavy rain fall I guess the sand compacted no?
>>
File: IMG_9243.jpg (2.6 MB, 3024x4032)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
I'm buying a house and need to protect things from this asshole. Right now I'm specifically trying to find some sort of window covering for sliding glass doors and windows throughout the house that will be cat proof and not something he can tear through in a few minutes. I would love something that looks decent but as of right now it seems like the only option might either be blinds or shutters. The shutters he'll probably tear through the wood at one point though. He's clawed holes into wooden doors in the past when he can't get in somewhere he wants to be. Is there any sort of shades that are a durable material? I like the look of roller shades and the cellular shades that have insulation, and would buy them right now if it wasn't for him. But honestly if there's any suggestions that don't look like shit I'll consider them as long as he can't claw through them in the 5 second span it takes to get up and grab him from across the house.
>>
How do you feel about ordinate dimensioning?
>>
Is there any way to prevent your safety glasses from fogging up? I spent hours at work drilling concrete and invariably have to go without glasses because I can't see shit after a couple minutes since they fog up, then I spent the rest of the day with inflamed eyes which sucks and will ruin my health in a short term. Please help.
>>
>>2823747
There is spray or wipes for the inside of glasses and goggles that works ok, you have to reapply it every couple of days.

Or you can get safety contacts!
>>
>>2823181
>Put down a paper towel and iron it until it melts and sticks to the paper towel
>I would try heating it up just a bit and see if it scrapes off cleanly before melting it all the way tho
Genius. Why didn't I think of this.
I will give it a try and see what happens.
>>
>>2823702
buy a dremel and a cut off wheel. if you bend it back and forth enough it'll eventually work harden and break, but you'll fuck it up really bad in the process if you havent already

>>2823708
>dig hole in edge of property
>transport dirt to hole

>>2823727
spray some permethrin on what you dont want him to fuck up, and it'll keep him away

>>2823747
anti-fog spray, and enjoy your silicosis
>>
>>2823758
Well, I'm not trying to poison/kill him, my wife wouldn't be happy about that. I doubt it would deter him either. The thing is 25 pounds and is a watered down serval. We've tried every cat deterrent method you could think of already and none of them have worked in the slightest.
>get foil, it'll scare your cat!
Walks on it like it isn't there
>get anti scratch tape!
Goes right through it and doesn't care about the bitterant
>get plastic protectors for furniture!
Tore through them the first day
>Get deterrent spray/calming spray/whatever!
No effect
I was losing my goddamn mind until I just accepted it, but moving into a new house I'm probably going to be losing my mind all over again if I can't figure anything out.
>>
>>2823758
permethrin is lethally poisonous to cats because they can’t metabolize it
this anon is trying to kill your cat because he is a Jewish psychopath
>>
>>2823765
incel plz go, i have a wife and kids and dont require a cat as a child substitute.
>>
>>2823747
>prevent your safety glasses from fogging up?

various types of oils work
best i found is gun-lubricating oil
>>
>>2823770
>admits to being a psychopath trying to kill anon’s cat
maybe you shouldn’t have custody of your kids
>>
>>2823765
This is your brain on toxo.
>>
>>2823668
I told them that it was uneven and showed it to them, and they said they could fix it.
I'd have preferred that they stopped when they realized they couldn't.
>>
>>2823181
>Put down a paper towel and iron it until it melts and sticks to the paper towel
>I would try heating it up just a bit and see if it scrapes off cleanly before melting it all the way tho
>>2823753
Set the iron to maximum, set down a paper towel, held it in place for a good 10 seconds, and nothing lifted off.
Tried applying the iron directly to the couch as well and trying to scrape it with the paper towel. Nothing.

I think the issue is that the lettering/numbering is still on the jersey, albeit it's sticky. Meaning that whatever they used to make the numbering/lettering partially melted off and onto the couch. Don't know if they use acrylics or what.

I read some stuff online about using acetone to "melt off" silk screen printing, but am afraid I may damage the couch beyond repair in the process.
>>
>>2821841
so right now I have a light granite countertop in the bathroom, attached to the wall with tile around it that would make it a whole fucking renovation to adjust. its uneven, water pools on the right and the hard water leaves a stain thats hard to clean. I got a diatomaceous earth stone raised thing to put the soap dispenser on to reduce the amount of water on the countertop, and I got some "quick-dry" foam thing to put around the faucet that looks like shit and is already starting to yellow around the edges.

I like the diatomaceous earth stone thing, if I had to do a semi-renovation anyway, would it be feasible to use a diatomaceous earth stone countertop? it semi-absorbs the water in place and dries quickly, and I havent noticed any shit build up on it like the edge of the counter. googling for a countertop with that material yields 0 results

any remedies to deal with shit building up on my current granite countertop is welcome as well
>>
>>2823727
Just take at large cats to the pound.
>>
>>2823835
>any remedies to deal with shit building up on my current granite countertop is welcome as well
Muriatic acid.
>>
>>2823791
Acetone is probably going to fuck with the fabric dye. Do you have a steamer to try? They can be more effective than irons sometimes with the added moisture. Have you tried rubbing alcohol as well?
>>
>>2823835
DE isn't a good material for countertops. No structural integrity/rigidity thats needed for a countertop. Besides that people like choosing the look of their countertops, you can't really design DE in a way thats attractive to a wide market even if it was an acceptable material. It's also porous, which is great for the soap dispenser thing but it'll grow bacteria as a countertop and start staining real quick.

Take your soap dispenser coaster thing and try to break it in half, you can with your hands. It isn't hard/rigid enough. Look into quartzite, not quartz.
>>
>>2823865
Well I did purposely not use the steaming function on the iron thinking it might screw with it. But I can give it a try. I also have a steamer I can try.
Rubbing alcohol may be my last ditch effort.
I'm thinking that this is more equivalent to trying to get a paint stain out. As to what kind of paint, I don't know. Whatever is most similar to the materials used in jersey numbering.
>>
>>2822182
My apartment is about double the size of your balcony and I pay $1270 a month
>>
>>2822275
>apparently it had sulfuric acid in it
Yeah no shit that's literally what drain cleaner is
>>
>>2823884
adhesive tape applied and pulled off repeatedly can remove sticky residue in some cases.
Do you still have the jersey? There are various solvents that dissolve different kinds of plastic compounds. The jersey is already probably ruined so you could try different solvents, acetone, thinner, alcohol, etc. to see what quickly dissolves the sticky lettering on the jersey. That way you could minimize the amount of shit you end up pouring on the sofa.
I have found that lacquer thinner (typically xylene) often works on plastic rubber that has degraded to goo. It seems less likely to damage most plastics compared to acetone, in my anecdotal experience. Acetone is polar and xylene is nonpolar. I’m not sure what your sofa would be made out of or colored with.
>>
>>2823758
>>dig hole in edge of property
>>transport dirt to hole
wouldn't that sag again? I have no way of compacting it once I throw the dirt in.
>>
The batteries in my pallet jack were getting dry and it wouldn’t charge over 50%. I heard batteries crave electrolytes, so I filled them up with some Gatorade. Should I have done Pedialyte instead?
>>
>>2823951
>Should I have done Pedialyte instead?
How old is your pallet jack?
>>
I get a sort of nasty, rotten egg smell coming out of my hot water sink faucets and shower when I first go to use them in the morning. It clears up after a few seconds. I just moved into this house a few months ago and it was not like that when I first moved in. What do I look at?
>>
Went over to my parents, their AC wasn't working. I went into the attic and the freon pipe was leaking, the dude they called out just wrapped it in tape and that was that. Don't you have to weld that shit? AC is even more busted now, the guy says maybe it's the board or the thermostat based on what I've heard from my parents.
>>
>>2823896
pretty sure most other cleaners have sodium hydroxide instead, which wouldn't have stained the metal. honestly I'm not sure if the chemical in this one worked at all, that little plastic thing it came with was much more effective.
>>
>>2824019
>Don't you have to weld that shit?
you braze copper pipe, not weld it. and yes that is how you properly fix it. they probably use R410A which is very high pressure and some tape will do fuck all to contain it.

you start with evacuating the refrigerant from the system, repairing the leak, pulling a vacuum and then recharging it. if you want to DIY it, it'll probably be at least $1k in tools. if you pay some guy it'll be even more as residential HVAC people are almost universally retards, and all they do is tell people who dont know better they need to replace the system they have for $15-20k
>>
>>2824057
They have a home warranty, so the cost to them is 100 bucks. They got one system replaced already, cost was 100 bucks but it took three months. It's not worth it for a 1K diy job, I'll just go full Karen and start yelling at the techs and warranty people. I've reached the age where I don't care if I get put on tiktok if it means my parents can have AC in the main living areas.

Thanks for chiming in. I knew from the start it was the pipe, but you've got more and more boomers who are retired and starting their own businesses doing HVAC handyman shit fucking things up. Or just trying to scam other boomers.
>>
i am planning to install a poe camera by my mailbox and will be burying a cable along my driveway. if i run shielded cable use an ethernet surge protector between the cable and the switch should i be fine or should i have a surge protector on both sides?
>>
>>2824063
what are you worried about, lightning? EM induction? Where could a voltage spike come from, and what are you trying to protect?
>>
>>2824061
>I don't care if I get put on tiktok if it means my parents can have AC in the main living areas
> It's not worth it for a 1K diy job
wut

>They have a home warranty
>I knew from the start it was the pipe
go get a bottle of big blu and spray fucking everything with it, and look for small leaks after a minute or so, because any thing can leak, and the home warranty people sure as shit arent going to care, as they're only getting $100 to drive to your parents and pretend to work.

https://trutechtools.com/Big-Blu-Leak-Detector-Spray--1-Quart_p_5536.html
>>
>>2824082
i was doing some reading and someone had mentioned a concern from lightning. id prefer not to kill the camera or anything on the switch it would connect to though the switch itself is just a cheap tplink. or should i just not worry about it
>>
>>2822093
Dont fall for the it has to be top brand tools maymay. They arent top quality but to be honest Ive never had anything ryobi fail. I have a ryobi router that I bought 23 years ago and has seen a lot of use, still works just fine. In fact the only power tools that Ive had outright fail are a bosch drill (chuck nuked) and various dewalt shit. The only things id pay good money for would be a drill press, a bandsaw, jointer, planner, everything else specs matter more than name. Unless my crafting was pulling in serious money I would rather have the risk of having to replace a $200 tool vs the same risk with an $800 tool. Return on investment doesnt always pan out anymore unless you have industrial quality money. And even then why would you pay $3k for a tool that will definitely work when a $200 tool will probably work?
>>
>>2824119
if the devices that could be damaged are cheap, then at some point spending money on device protection becomes wasteful. If it's a $200 camera and the protection is $20, then I'd do it, but if the camera is $20 and the protection is $40, that would be stupid. There's also the value of the learning experience, and the satisfaction of working on a project though. Only you can decide that value of those.
>>
Alright /diy/ckheads been a while.

A theoretical question came to me, if you make a handle for something like a hammer, what effect does the angle of the grain have on its behaviour?
scenario (a) the grain runs parallel to the direction of hitting so if you look down from the top you see straight lines parallel to the flat sides of the hammer
scenario (c) the grain runs perpendicular to the direction of hitting so that if you look down from the top the ggrain runs from side to side
scenario (c) various diagonal intermediate positions
ignoring curved grain or centred grain effects

So what would be the difference?
>>
>>2824141
I think they do (a) for most hammers.

If you did the first (c) aka (b), it would probably flex and eventually start cracking apart layer by layer, and you would probably lose some layers and therefore a good chunk of strength any time you strike the neck on accident.

The other (c) would be unpredictable, and maybe flex at an odd angle and give you some of the issues of (b) but not as quickly,
>>
>>2824144
So you think it would delaminate?
Makes sense
I found some video of a guy whacking a tree trunk to delamitate the layers for use in weaving.
>>
>>2824155
For sure it would. Just take a stick or a thinner section of a limb or log and start bending it and watch how it starts splitting along the grain. It will eventually become like fibers. If the grain was perpendicular to the side of the hammer, parallel to the face, every whack of something would bend it a little and I doubt it would take too long for them to start splitting.
>>
File: 1555264073317.jpg (186 KB, 1024x812)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
I'm trying to add a small fan system to something and got a fan that says it's 3V. If I connect it to a AA battery (1.5V) will it run at half speed, or will it not run at all? Do I need wire it to two batteries and add then add a resistor?
>>
I do car sales and just want to buy a cheap but decent drill for just putting on license plates and dealer plates for under $60.

Lightweight, small, but needs to have a little power because other salesmen use larger drills and we have a small drill that cannot get those bolts OUT.

Was debating just biting the bullet and spending $80 on an M12 milwaukee drill.
But I was more interested, maybe an impact drill or wrench might be better for this? They are smaller in general, and might have that extra torque I need to get the screws out. I am just worried about over tightening in that case though.

An easy way to swap between phillips head and 10mm socket would be nice. Like a holder that attaches to the drill so I don't have to run back and forth to my desk.
>>
>>2824165
It should reduce the speed by roughly half, but it may end up being more or less depending on several factors. Try to avoid resistors if you can, as all they do is cut the voltage and the energy they stopped gets converted to heat and wasted. I very much prefer to get cheap little regulator boards as their losses are far less than a stupid resistor.

Stuff to remember is when you're controlling a motor, voltage controls the speed, and amperage is what gives it the push. If your amperage is too low, your voltage will fall as a result. You generally can't supply too many amps as a part will typically only take what it needs. This stops being the case when dealing with a resistive heater. (AKA a fancy short circuit)
>>
File: 1720375161267455.jpg (950 KB, 1435x1251)
950 KB
950 KB JPG
I have this mini bike and want to strip it of it's paint. I know that they have paint dissolver spray shit that I could spray, and then sand down a little more, but then I was reading some forum posts and people were saying to use an angle grinder with a wire wheel. Others were saying that could take too much of the metal off and could cause some divots. Any thoughts or opinions? I'd prefer to go quickest route possible for this kind of shit and I don't have an angle grinder but would like one. Any advice, opinions, or ideas?
>>
>>2824197
brass wire brush?
>>
>>2824197
I vote sand blast or laser.
>>
>>2824196
Thanks anon!
>>
>>2824198
Yeah, that goes along with the sanding and taking a little longer than I'd like it to. I may go that route though.

>>2824199
Yeah, my buddy who always "has a buddy with an XYZ" said he could see if we could use his sandblaster, but it's one of those things that never really comes to fruition. That would be my absolute preferred method.
>>
>>2824063
Usually just grounding the shield on one end is good enough.

>>2824017
You probably have a well and it probably has higher sulfur. You might even live in Pennsylvania because that’s the only place I ever been where there water smelled like that. I would look at moving to a place where the groundwater isn’t contaminated by fracking.
>>
>>2824127
>They arent top quality but to be honest Ive never had anything ryobi fail.
the only ryobi tool I have is their battery operated pressure washer, because no one else makes one. as soon as i mounted the two wheels to it, the wheels tiled inwards 5 to 10 degrees. is was made as cheap as humanly possible.
>>
>>2824197
that wire wheel is going to throw those metal wires everywhere and they'll definitely get lodged in your skin. enjoy dozens of metal splinters. otherwise it'll probably be fine.
>>
File: 1711159126657058.png (1.09 MB, 1024x1024)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>2824219
>/diy/ anon afraid of a wire wheel
>>
>>2823591
I think it's just bullshit to keep sparkys and IT guys from fighting in the same panel.

The cat5 needs to be rated just as well as the power but it's probably not a problem unless you buy the chinkiest basedprotein cable. Anything you but is 300v rated anyway
>>
>>2824241
>i dont know what ampacity is
>>
>>2824251
So you can't run a 16g in the same raceway as a 14g? Weird. Take your Fudd elsewhere imbecile
>>
What the hell is this thing? Appeared on Craigslist. Owner said it may be used for shaping rocks.
>>
>>2824241
>just bullshit to keep sparkys and IT guys from fighting

It's simply the fact that anything that has a mains cord/plug expects mains voltage on that plug. No matter what combination of live/neutral/ground actually gets to that connection, it should fail safely.

Data/low voltage connections are almost never designed with the expectation that 120Vac+ might get applied to them. If some druggie somehow managed to connect a CAT conductor to mains, there's no guarantee that it won't end up on an exposed, un-grounded metal case at the working end. It's not a reasonable to require that every single PoE device, security camera, or low-voltage light be designed to gracefully handle a power source way outside their expected range simply so mains can be mixed with other conductors. Never even mind how to deal with the inevitable hands-on inspection of the cable end itself.

I'll admit it's not easy that a short like that could happen, but it could, and 90% of code is there to deal with potential edge cases.
>>
>>2824265
radial arm drill press. pretty old and destroyed
>>
>>2824201
Heck, you might be able to take it down to a blacksmith shop and get it blasted real quick. It's such a small job that some of those places might just do it for free.
>>
>>2824267
Ah, yeah, now I see it. Thank you.
>>
>>2824266
It's literally not in the code book though. A cat5 cable is rated for 300v.

This little motherfucker will deal with 300v better than anything in your house.
>>
>>2822275
>>2823896
Damn dat nigga really do be rarted LMAO
>>
>>2824017
Like the other anon said it might be high sulfur content. Are you on well water? The other thought is if you have gas for your water heater and there's some sort of leak somewhere.

Get something to test the sulfur content or just start wildly waving a match around in the morning to see what happens when you turn the water on. If it's contaminated from fracking though try setting fire to it, it can create a fun and exciting morning routine for you.
>>
>>2824063
As long as the surge protector is there it'll be fine. Be sure to use some sort of pipe/conduit, and I would recommend cat 6a at a minimum if it's a longer run. Would also suggest going with an outdoor purposed switch even if it's in the garage, like the one ubiquiti offers, if you’re in an area like Florida which has high humidity.
>>
File: 41mzw8Ly0ZL.jpg (25 KB, 500x500)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2824063
GAS DISCHARGE

If your surge protector doesn't need to be grounded to your houses primary ground electrode with #6 copper, it's not gonna do shit.

Having shielded cable helps but you need this dude outside the home where the cable comes up. I'd just leave the camera out to get fried. You're saving your home and interior equipment from exploding in a lightning strike, not the camera or cable.
>>
File: 20240702_053738.jpg (2.34 MB, 4000x3000)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
how does one go about rounding off the corner of a quartz countertop without spending a bunch of money on specialized tools and supplies that'll only be used once, and in situ without removing it from the cabinetry?
>>
>>2824384
sandpaper, masking tape, and extreme patience
>>
File: IMG_1559.jpg (201 KB, 484x887)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>2824386
Harbor freight is your friend for one off tools. I bought a router from there to cut a circle one time. Now if I wanted to use it to take the edge off a counter all I would need is pic related.
>>
File: IMG_5595.jpg (3.49 MB, 3021x3386)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
This is the toilet room in my master bathroom. Is this black mold?
>>
>>2824394
it ain’t vendell vilkie
>>
>>2824191
If you cant get things out use penetrating oil and an impact driver, just dont get any on the paint.

>>2824063
besides the surge supression everyone talks about, most ethernet cable isnt rated to be buried

>>2824384
enjoy your silicosis, and use diamond files

>>2824390
he isnt going to be able to use a router bit on a counter with a cabinet already installed
>>
>>2824241
>I think
This is doubtful.
>>
Looking for a brass or steel sleeve/bushing, 5/8" od 1/2" id in a length of ~12" but can't seem to find one pre made. Any website I should check?
>>
>>2824577
Disregard, found one for $22.
>>
>>2824265
>>2824267
It was at a ranch sale. I went out to the sale today, which was mostly junk, and this thing clearly hasn't been used in decades. Everything is bone dry and rusty. The insulation on the wires was cracking, the flat belt is toast, and the motor is frozen.

They want $5,000 for it. Some people are fucking delusional.
>>
>>2824615
>i know what i got
>no tire kickers
many such cases
>>
>>2824394
Just put bleach in a spray bottle, wear safety glasses, and squirt it real quick. It'll be white again in no time.
>>
File: 1706651888771054.png (1.21 MB, 870x870)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
>>2824615
>5000
5k pennies would be about right
>>2824619
cl dead. facefuck full of morons and data harvesting. everybody pricing garbage at 125% of new retail like an bullshit episode of storage wars. the fall of rome cant come soon enough
>>
>>2824621
>>2824619
In the last 10-15 years, one thing I have noticed, is that the stuff you get from estate sales and such has drastically dropped in quality. As the silent generation has died off and been replaced by boomers everything changed.

Anytime I go to an estate sale and it has good stuff it always seems the former owner is like 80 or 90. If it is overpriced junk it belonged to a boomer and their yuppy kids think their sectional sofa from 1992 is worth a mint. Shitty plastic toolbox filled with rusty Chinese wrenches? That will be $250. Apple laptop form 2007? A steal at $1,000. Half empty bottle of dish soap? Only a 25% markup on retail for a full one.

Not only is this because boomers generally have worse shit, but because their kids try and DIY the sales. Boomers are generally lazy enough that they hire someone to liquidate their parents stuff, and professionals know how to price shit to sell.
>>
what could cause a fridge to suddenly stop cooling
it still makes the noise
>>
>>2824729

barring physical damage. as long as the compressor is running, it should cool
possibly using a kill-a-watt, you can test how much current it's using
should like like 1A for the fan alone, and like 8A when compressor kicks in
2 most common causes of death are (1) dead starting capacitor, and (2) dead compressor motor
a dead compressor can still make noise: instead of turning, it could be vibrating
>>
>>2824731
repairman replaced a couple relay like things but with a knob
>>
>>2824581
where?
>>
I want to use a wet/dry shop vac on carpet and shit in my house. Is the standard floor head good enough, or should I look into buying one with a rotating brush bar and retrofitting it to my vacuum?
>>
File: 34634564353643543.jpg (22 KB, 235x741)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
is silicon grease the same as dielectric grease that americans seem to smear on electrical connections? is it save for mains voltage?
>>
how do you turn large glass into mirror
>>
>>2824759
If it’s the clean white stuff, probably. Dielectric grease, silicone grease, and plumbing grease for o-rings are all pretty much the same.

as for the mains voltage, not sure. The only thing I ever see on mains is the grease that stops aluminum wire from corroding
>>
File: filters.jpg (36 KB, 341x343)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
I've got a fairly low power shop vac (100-150mbar), and I want to improve the filter. I've been looking around and I've found a bunch of ideas, shit like putting an old shirt around the rim to work as a prefilter, or pantyhose over the paper filter, or being a bag cuck and buying a new paper bag every couple of months to keep the dust in. Use case is household, I'm not raping it with drywall or sawdust, just dust and hair.
>>
>>2824753
you need the rotating brush for carpet, milwaukee makes one which uses a M12 battery to power the brush and can work on any shop vac

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-AIR-TIP-1-1-4-in-2-1-2-in-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-Utility-Nozzle-Attachment-1-Piece-0980-20/319166583
>>
I need to get a drill vice to use with a pillar drill. What do I need to know?
>>
>>2824814
Those look pretty heavy and not great for anything beyond car detailing given their size.

I really wish vacuums were regulated and forced to give out specifications for working vacuum as well as max vacuum. A million different products, and no sensible consensus on objective improvements, probably because it's a very simple field and they all want to pretend they're the best.

There's a turbo style head of a decent size that seems designed for these newer underpowered portable vacuum types that might work, I know powered beater bars are better but they're not really an option because I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a vacuum. Only negative is they don't make anything in the "anti-tangle" category which would be nice, but I get the feeling most of those systems are a lie and the bars get tangled to shit anyway.
>>
>>2824768
Coat the back in silver
>>
>>2824791
Just buy a washable filter that fits you vac.
>>
Ol’ Dremel that’s gotta be 20+ years old is finally giving up on me. Sounds like she’s running at half power and cutting in and out at lower speeds. Sometimes I flip the power on, it won’t spin, but if I turn the shaft by hand a little, it starts up.

Multimeter on the brushes, getting like 25 ohms on most spots, which I assume is normal, and then dead spots occasionally and have to turn it another 10deg to get 25 ohms. Brushes also spark like crazy and it gets hot really fast even with no load.

Dead spots on the motor winding?

I had the thing apart and it looks clean, although there’s magnetic dust on the outer ring of the motor that’s a bitch to clean off.
>>
>>2824889
>tfw you can find every other part but the one I need
Gayyy
>>
File: roof.jpg (572 KB, 933x1760)
572 KB
572 KB JPG
>>2822880
Like this so it pokes the bear
>>
One room in my house is stupid hot because it gets full sun all day. What is the best way to place a fan to cycle the air with the much cooler hallway air?

In the doorway blowing cold air into the room?
In the doorway blowing hot air out the room?

In the hallway some distance from the doorway blowing in?
In the room some distance from the doorway blowing out?

Something else? I only have one fan.
>>
File: 1720561510939356.jpg (304 KB, 935x869)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>2822880
one angled brace will just pull out of the top bar if squished, it has too much sideways leverage for a top-down load. in my pic, the bottom one will be good enough, but if you wanted to waste wood and effort you should do the top.
>>
>>2824948
On the floor, in the hallway, near the door (where the cold air is) blowing into the room
The hot air in the room will be near the ceiling and will exhaust out into hallway where the A/C circulation can cycle it back through the system.
>>
File: woof.jpg (187 KB, 1111x906)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>2824936
Funnily enough, one of our coops does have spikes installed on its (rotten/warped) back door, to prevent things from trying to pry it open.
>>2824951
ty for input. yeah i could see there being potential issues with just having one lonley angled support beam, but am pretty ignorant in the actual physics involved in a roof like this. being why i asked for help)
I like the vertical support beam idea in your bottom pic, but am still concerned about integrity of the peak of the tall side of the roof. am now considering doing just a small triangle up there, which would also give me the opportunity to just leave it open up there (with mesh) as ventilation too.
picrel
>>
I have a service basement with a non-standard entryway and the shitty hollow wood doors are getting pretty old so I'm gonna have to diy some exterior doors. From what I gather I could encase styrofoam panel and polyurethane foam with a MDF panel on the interior side but I'm not sure what to put on the exterior and sides, what would you recommend? It really doesn't have to look good, the articles I've seen about it are too fancy for what I need
>>
>>2824859
what kind of... silver
>>
File: untitled.jpg (369 KB, 2000x2000)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>2821841
How dumb would it be to buy a utility trailer, cut the axles and ramp off it, and put it on my truck as a flatbed? My bed's shot, basically held together by ratchet straps and the bed liner, and rather than spend $600 on steel, lumber, and lights or $2000 on a prebuilt flatbed, I was thinking about picking a utility trailer off marketplace or something and using that as a base.
>>
>>2825040
You could try replacing the whole bed from a compatible truck at a junkyard
>>
>>2825046
I live in MN bud, and it's a long box. Every bed in every junkyard within 200 miles of me is just as bad as mine is and not worth the effort to swap.
>>
>>2824948
>stupid hot because it gets full sun all day

just tell the sun to fuck off on down the road
>>
File: AgNO3.png (190 KB, 1323x935)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>2825032
Silver nitrate.
>>
>>2823121
What are both of your moms names?
JFC this is atrocious
>>
File: file.png (1.97 MB, 1233x913)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB PNG
The place I'm renting has a balcony with a sliding glass door. I leave it open for the pup to go out during the day but it's a big cause of heat loss.
I'm thinking to put in a portable doggy door like pic related but it seems kind of overkill paying $200-400 for something like that when security is no concern (it's a high up balcony) and I'm not sure it would even insualte all that well if it's just thin plastic.
Anyone got any other ideas of things I could put up? Or I could try DIY one, benefit would be being able to better fit it, negative being I've never made something like that and it'll possibly end up completely crap
>>
>>2825084
It doesn't have to look good, it just has to function. I'd probably just make a quick frame out of some 2x4s. Might be a little difficult without a router or a table saw to cut grooves for it to fit in, though.
>>
File: file.png (606 KB, 662x637)
606 KB
606 KB PNG
>>2825085
I'd have to borrow power tools like that from a friend or go to a men's shed or makerspace. I didn't bring anything but the most basic toolkit with me when I moved.
Yeah that's more or less what I was thinking, framing it to size, cutting in grooves to slot in to the sliding door frame, slapping a sheet of plywood over it and making a dog shaped hole in that.
The other option I thought of was just grabbing some PVC butchers curtain and throwing that up over the gap. Would probably cost less than the wood alone for the DIY method.
>>
>>2825087
If you've got a curtain rail in front of your doors, a heavy curtain will probably stop most of the airflow. You could hang a duvet instead, but I don't know how easy that'd be for a dog to get past. I guess you could fill the gap with a duvet and leave a little gap at the bottom with a cardboard box or something to let the dog in and out.

They make extending telescopic curtain rods, but they tend to take the paint off when you take them down, and they don't carry much weight.
>>
File: run.jpg (1008 KB, 2000x2000)
1008 KB
1008 KB JPG
Use one of these for chicken run. Bought some misters since it's been in high 90s for a couple months. High humidity, too. Should the misters be placed outside to mist the top of the tarp, or underneath the tarp (inside the run) aimed at the ground, in order to maximize cooling? There are fans placed outside the run along the ground to run all day. Only have misters timer at 5 seconds every top of the hour. Don't want the ground to get soaked with all the chicken poop. Thanks!
>>
>>2825084
Buy a cut in doggy door for meant for a door. Have a plywood panel cut at the hardware store. Buy hammer, ordless drill and jigsaw. Cut a hole in panel. Mount door, trim with 1x2 cut with jigsaw. Panel nail trim. Return jigsaw and hammer, you're a rentoid what do you care?
>>
File: file.png (1.49 MB, 789x732)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
>>2821841
I am planning on building one of those little fire brick ovens for pizza and other foods. Pic rel. I want to make a roof for it but something very simple, so I was thinking of PVC pipes angled anchored into the dirt, 45 degree pipes at the top for roof structure. And tarp attached for the roof. The purpose of this structure is to keep it from being drenched in the rain and prolonging the life of these fire bricks. Do you anons think the pvc/tarp would be at risk of melting damage from the heat?
>>
>>2825160
>PVC pipes
>tarp
Over a fire?!
>>
>>2825166
That's why I'm asking. I have put a tarp over a fire before while camping, it was 10 feet over the fire or so.
>>
File: PXL_20240520_175634550.MP.jpg (1.67 MB, 3072x4080)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
I have a galvanized steel Motorcycle trailer that has a few rust colored spots and generally has a stained look.
Is there anything I can do to freshen up it's look and protect it from further damage?
>>
>>2825188
>freshen up it's look
Polish
>and protect it from further damage?
Some kind of coating : Oil, lacquer, varnish, paint.
>>
>>2825188
There's instant paint on galvanic coating for Electricians to match galvanic conduit.

Probably won't last if it's on a wear point like that though
>>
tried to super glue this threaded end piece back on but spring was too strong for super glue to hold. lol
can i just replace the 12v end with any other 12v end or do certain electronic aspects of the connection need to match oem 12v connector?
>>
File: WesternUnionSplice.jpg (28 KB, 513x324)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2825240
100% replaceable, any 12v plug you can find will work just fine, just remember to solder and shrink tube your splices
>>
>>2825240
there might be a fuse in it, if so make sure you replace it with one with a fuse in it too, and make sure the fuse's ampacity is the same
>>
how do i remove a refridgerator that seems to be stuck to the floor? are there chemicals that can weaken the bond?
>>
>>2825252
If it's actually stuck, the floor is toast anyway. Just rock it back and forth, maybe it pops off, maybe it pulls up a floorboard.
>>
>>2825253
im pretty sure it's stuck since i was able to move the new refridgerator around. though the stuck one is already a bigger challenge to move since it's in between the wall and the kitchen counter, so pulling it is the only way. Can't put my shoulder into it like with the new fridge.
>>
>>2825249
there is for sure a fuse in there,
>tries to check for amp markings on fuse
well how about that, the super glue held and the device is charging!
>>
>>2825255
If you can't rock it back, it was to close to the wall to behind it. I'm guessing you have some vinyl floor and the fridge's feet have imbeded themselves in the flooring. Take off the toe guard and have a gander. Maybe some scraping or gentle prying will help.
>>
>>2825257
I would chop the thing off and put some clamps on there and go straight to the battery. I did it for a shitty little 12V intlator that liked to blow fuses for the 12V outlet when it was running warm.
>>
File: 32846.jpg (25 KB, 400x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
I have a stupid question, but I might make a thread later. Can scrap metal from an old metal wire fence strengthen a concrete footer for building a 2 story garage?

The pieces are a little rusty but seem strong in most parts, I already have the rebar done to code but was wondering if this would add some strength plus save me a scrap run.

Picrel is a little bit higher gauge wire than what I have
>>
>>2825160
Could always build a chimney and direct the excess heat through a hole in it with an insulated portion. Otherwise, there's the old "try it and see what happens" method.
>>
>>2825276
No. The wire is to thin to be useful and might actually impair the strength of your foundation
>>
>>2825273
Yeah it is close to the back wall and i think the floor is linoleum. Fridge has been sitting for quite a while. Gunked where it meets the floor. Ill try what you said next chance.
>>
i'm gonna be soldering for a really small and quick job to fix my speedometer. i've already practiced a little with a practice board. i hear about the solder fumes being bad for you.
i just hold my breath and open a window. should that be ok? i'm probably never gonna solder again after this is over. the solder wire is 63sn, 37pb. the only thing that sucks is the lingering smell but it goes away. is this shit gonna make my balls fall off if i don't get a fume extractor or am i good for this little job
>>
>>2825279
I was hoping for something piss easy but I'm thinking I'll just build a super basic roof out of some 2x4s and plywood.
>>
File: 2457356846789.png (97 KB, 752x554)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>>2821857
yes hello i am here
I cant find figure it out even with the internet how would i frame circled in pic related, im using 1x2
>>
Can I name an LLC what ever I want
>>
Is there a smarter way to get power out to my new apartment's balcony that does not have any existing lights or power outlets?

Everyone else here says they just drag an extension cord out through their cracked open door when they hang out on their balconies but there has to be a better way. I'm almost considering getting an electrician to come put in an outlet on the balcony on my own dime but I'm sure that's just more money than having lights are worth to me right now
>>
File: 1624972105998.jpg (20 KB, 400x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>AC tube breaks
>buy replacement tube
>the threads aren't facing the right way to go into the window coupler
Anyone know how to fit in a threaded tube? I tried shoving really hard, didn't work. I might be able to pull it really hard from the other side and hope it latches onto the second set of threads
>>
>>2825283
you'll be fine, most people solder without a fume extractor. and the smoke is from flux rather than molten metal. just wash your hands after.

>>2825299
assuming you have an outlet on that wall already, drill a hole in a wall. mount an outlet in an outdoor rated enclosure. seal it to the wall with caulk. run some nomex to the junction box for the indoor outlet. its not hard. if you already have light fixtures out there, they also make light bulb to NEMA 5-15R adapters. or you could run some nomex from the junction box the light fixture mounts to

>>2825300
what the fuck are you even going on about you sperg.
>>
>>2825299
if there is an outlet on the apartment side you can essentially go through right there. I'd cheat over a job box width and send a drill through, then cut your box there from the outside. There is probably insulation and you should put a gfci outlet, but you should have that anyway with an extension cord outside.
>>
File: e90.jpg (90 KB, 1106x1012)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
A few threads ago I mentioned my boss firing me for discussing wages. The case is still in works. I submitted all my side, at least I think so, but it’s been around a month since I’ve been contacted or the NLRB docket has updated.
Not sure if this is normal, or I fucked something up. But either way, my old coworkers have joined a union because I’m no longer there to fight for them, which is a great thing.
>>
My gas water heater doesn't actually have gas/water shutoff valves. Do I need to close the gas valve to the house if I'm leaving the water main shut off overnight? I've got the water heater turned off but I'd like to still use the oven while I fix my shower
>>
Is $70/hr a reasonable effective billing rate for unskilled labor to put stuff together? And I mean sustainable year round. Like say you need warehouse shelves and I'm going to bill you $22400 for my 8 guys to come in and put the shelves together over 5 days. Is that reasonable enough that I could conceivably find 51 other clients to cover the rest of the year at those prices? Assume there isn't a shortage of warehose shelves to be built.
>>
why do they sell non hss hacksaw blades
>>
>>2825318
as long as you're not draining the hot water heater you're fine, you don't even have to turn it off. if you have to drain it, definitely turn it off. you'd only have to shut off the gas if you're opening gas lines. and just a wild guess you didn't bother with the pilot light did you? that's fine just leave it alone.
>>
File: 1720314450128594m.jpg (100 KB, 1024x696)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>2825280
>>2825280
Wondering if you could explain by what mechanism it weakens the structure. Is it because of the mass it takes from the concrete?

Im challenging myself to make the structure last as long as possible and outlast me, very interested in little known methods to achieve this. Thus far another anon suggested clear coating the rebar, havent researched this yet.
>>
>>2825323
Thanks. And yeah, I've had an electric heater up until now so I've not even familiarized myself with the pilot light. I did end up turning off the gas out of paranoia anyway, which is probably good because I was already draining the tank since I hadn't done it this year.
I don't know why the plumbers in this area never install shutoffs though. I've had to turn off everything to the AC now just from a faucet that wouldn't shut
>>
>>2825317
k thanks
keep us updated
>>
>>2825318
>My gas water heater doesn't actually have gas/water shutoff valves
The control valve on the water heater should have an OFF position.
>>
What should I do to insulate the attic floor? Batts? Rigid foam board? I have loose-fill right now and thermal cam reveals a lot of leakage through the ceiling into the attic.
>>
>>2825338
If you mean this then that's what I turned off. From what I've read I thought the gas line was meant to have a physical valve to shut too as an extra safety. The water line certainly needs one
>>
I'm a structural engineer from germany and I was always wondering, do you need to do the structural calculations for houses in the US? Like calculation for every beam cross section in a house, amount of fastening per unit length, lintel loadings, foundation loading and exact amount of reinforcement in every single bit of concrete etc. Or a contractor just slaps together some two by fours with random screws, creates a sceleton out of it, puts it on a random 1 foot slap and calls it a day?
>>
>>2825366
The idea is that we have codes (the IRC, IBC) which have rules about "prescriptive building" techniques. These outline configurations for common building materials to build structures in a way that is pre-engineered.

In other words, when you build a 2x4 wall with the studs meeting a certain grade, spaced according to code, and with fasteners according to the code requirements etc, then it will handle the loads required by engineering. The inspections required during building are supposed to confirm adherence to these codes (regular building inspectors here are not usually educated or experienced in engineering principles)

The codes have charts of how things change when heavier loads will be expected due to wind zones, multiple stories, etc.

Of course, there's also crappy work being done illegally that isn't inspected and is built for shit, but I am sure that can happen anywhere from time to time.

Skilled labor costs are quite high in the US, so requiring a fresh engineered design every time someone wants to build a wall out of 2x4 or size a wooden beam wouldn't be economical or sensible (except when the specifics of the build exceed the preengineered options in the codes-- then you have an engineer figure it out)
>>
>>2823791
10 seconds isn't shit lmao
Was it at least pre heated?
You can melt it all the way down to liquid to get it off
>>
>>2824219
Kek what
>>
>>2824390
Imagine how fast that bit would explode lmaoooo
>>
>>2825363
The physical inline valve is for when you need to disconnect the flex line to the control or work on the burner assembly.
If you just want to assure the burner doesn't come on for some reason, the OFF position will achieve that.
Yes, it 'should' have a shut-off valve. In my area they are known as 'appliance valves' and are required.
The gas company won't connect service unless appliance valves are installed and proven to be not leaking.
For what you wanted to do (shut the water heater off overnight) the control valve is fine.
>>
>>2825048
I would look for a salvage flat bed obv lmao
>>
>>2825084
No way to can make it happen for $150
>>
>>2825292
You can buy a used camper for cheaper than building

Then you'll have a good shell and can save yourself a bunch of time and money

They use SIPs made out of foam and fiberglass or they're simpler shapes and wood with aluminum cladding

You can figure out cuts with a double bevel sliding compound miter saw but 1x2s aren't anywhere near strong enough for this even as a simpler shape. Between connector limitations and imperfections in the wood itself, one bump would explode your camper all over the road

The cheapest camper companies use 2x2s

It's fun to design stuff but there's a reason companies all do things a specific way
>>
>>2825321
Construction companies bid subcontractors at $80/hr
I would look at similar services and see what you're competent against

Start out by yourself and see if you can land a big job then hire the exact amount of people you NEED to do the job you landed, then if it's profitable, get more jobs
>>
>>2825360
Expanding foam around all penetrations, more blow in on top

The leaking is from disturbed insulation
Blow in will always be the best option

>>2825366
We don't calculate things, we use tables and then over build something if we aren't sure

Most framing crews use 2x12 headers everywhere even where they don't need headers just so they don't have to pay some loser nerd to tell them what to use
>>
File: 1505335674909.gif (1.93 MB, 235x240)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
>>2825417
Thanks. My AC runs off the gas so at least I'll have that while I'm fixing this now. It's supposed to get near 100F today, and I'm already having to drill out 40 year old rusted screws
>>
>>2825297
What jurisdiction?
>>
>>2825379
I do a calculation of simple one storey house in one day and also slap some plans in the same day. It costs around 1500 for the document to be made and signed and it includes everything to build the house that is structurally sound according to the codes. And then the owner can build his house by himself if he desires or find some random guys without education from Moldova or Poland to do the job. I don't know how this can be economically not viable in the US, it's less than 1% of a present day house cost. Bet your contractors charge more tor the planning.
Anyways thanks for your system we can see the stick houses fall down in wind because contractors forgot the OSB plates lel.
>>
Yay or no? Is this a shitty gen for a poorfag?
>babby's first genny
>my home has an outdoor line for LNG
>my home does not have an automatic transfer switch or even a main power switch
>going to hire an electrician to put the transfer switch in
>hoping to use LNG as primary fuel source
>Gasoline will be secondary
>Propane maybe secondary in the future when I save up enough for an outdoor tank
>I hope this model has no trouble powering whole home for up to 1-2 weeks worst case scenario.
>t. beryl survivor
>>
>>2825310
>balcony that does not have any existing lights or power outlets
>>yeah bro I assume you have a power outlet already, or just use the light fixture

reading is tough
>>
Why this happens

Is it bad

How to fix
>>
>>2825557
Floor is sagging
A lot
Either fix the structure of your entire building, shim up the feet or hang your bookshelf from the wall.
>>
>>2825557
Your shelf should screwed onto the wall at the top anyway to stop it from falling over in an earthquake. It probably came with a little strap.

Also shim up the feet though
>>
>>2825418
Everything 8 foot long is for a dually, I've got a single rear wheel truck. If I'm going through the effort of cutting up a bed I'd just as soon make one.
>>
>>2825605
Wtf
>>2825620
I bought it used

Is there an adhesive I can use or something?
>>
>>2825465
> It costs around 1500
It doesn't cost 1500$ to get a custom house plan from a PE in the United States. It's higher, because salaries for engineers are much higher in the US.

Why would you need an engineer to do the same calculation over and over instead of just doing it once and then creating a chart for different load cases so that the work can be reused? It's humorous that thinking about us bothered you so much that you had to come to an American website populated by Americans and then post in American English in order to try to spout off about how you think your system is superior or matters in any way.
>>
>>2825419
I was going to say you can't get them that cheap here (Australia) but once I do currency conversion that seems to be the range of the cheapest options.
One other thing though is I'd like to install a vent hole at the top to put my portable A/C exhaust.
>>
>>2825518
That looks like a straight generator. You’re going to have to ask the sparky with the transfer switch because it’s onlt 7500W on LNG, so depends on your AC unit and size of your house. However, it your hot water heater, stove, and oven and stuff are LNG, then you can probably get the AC going and lights in a couple of rooms. Luckily these days LED lights and TVs don’t pull a ton of juice.
>>
>>2825518
>Not diesel
Ngmi...
>>
>>2825649
When you say "salary is much higher" you should read it as 30% higher on average.

You retarded snowflake got triggered on something I didn't even mean. I came here with a question since I genuinely didn't know. After it got answered it's obvious our system is superior, there's nothing to discuss or argue here. Even your own engineers probably do the same for houses made not from wooden sticks, because for example it's impossible to randomly place a bearing wall on the second floor without doind real calculations of underlying structure. Anyways have a nice day nigger.
>>
>>2825672
Diesel generators are nice because you can store big quantities of diesel for long periods more easily than gasoline, but if anon has LNG, that’s the patrician choice. Run a gas line to that bitch and you don’t have to worry about pouring 5-10gal worth of gas cans into the tank every 8 hours.
>>
>>2825794
Not either of those two, but I have been eying a combination of utilizing gas/diesel + a solar generator. Too bad it's car prices for all of this shit.
>>
File: 20240717_092805.jpg (2.33 MB, 3264x2448)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
What's the best way to remove a stuck on shower stem? This is the one I managed to replace, but the other stem and the diverter are totally stuck on there. I used some wd40 since it's what I had and gave it some beans, but there were some small and ominous cracking noises I don't want to hear from a water pipe. One of the sleeves is stuck too, and I can't get it off even using some adjustable pliers. Thankfully it was the side that needed fixing that I managed to replace, but these pipes might be from the 80s. It doesn't help that whoever installed them didn't actually screw them down either, so I'd have to open up the thing to get better access and fix that. The pipes aren't super loose, but you can pull them maybe a fifth of an inch with a small amount of force
>>
>>2825834
>40k Orc AR pistol barrel.jpg
>>
>>2825836
Only Mork boiz make their gunz this shiny
>>
File: DSCF2175.jpg (1.78 MB, 3072x2304)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
I am building a shed. I am trying to install floor joists and i am coming up with gaps i cant get rid of. If the gaps are relatively small can i use them anyways?
>>
This thread has passed the bump limit.

It's currently on page 6

A new thread has been posted here: >>2825927

It's time to transition to the new thread.
>>
>>2825926
It's not ideal, but probably fine, for a floor, if you don't place a high value on craftsmanship.
Personally, to avoid this issue i usually cut the wood very slightly longer than it should be, then use a grinder &/orsander to get it to the perfect length.
>>
>>2825276
>>2825280
>>2825324
Bumping to avoid creating a thread
>>
So I was thinking making stuff out of lead cause it's easy to melt and is heavy.
Only problem is, it's poisonous.
Does plating it with copper (with cuso4) make it safe or will copper slowly react with lead, leaching out the poison and maybe making even more poisonous salts?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.