[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 70s games.jpg (177 KB, 1079x1079)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Use this thread to ask questions you think don't require a thread of their own.

The old thread no longer bumps: >>2821841

If you didn't get a response in the old thread, feel free to ask again here.
>>
File: 20240717_092738.jpg (2.41 MB, 3264x2448)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
First for, what's the best way to remove a stuck on shower stem? This thing feels like it hasn't been serviced since the place was built in the 80s, and I'm having to use so much elbow grease that I'm worried about breaking something. This is the one I could get off, so the hot water side is probably a lot worse. I've tried a liberal amount of wd40, but I can't even get its cover sleeve off with an adjustable wrench
>>
>>2825947
try adding a little heat
while the faucet is still warm. apply penetrating oil
the cooling action of the oil will help the capillary action of the penetrant
try turning the cover sleeve or the stem both directions briefly (wiggle it back a forth)
If you can get it to move at all the chance of disassembly rises greatly.
>>
I have some spray on truck bed liner here and some work equipment I want to spray to give it a textured grip. Talk me out of doing this in a small apartment
>>
>>2825927
I bought some Wera screwdrivers and a strop. Should I have it chopped off now? Or is better to do hormones and a new lady name for a year or two and adjust to a new life before I have the surgery?
>>
Can someone confirm or deny that I'm going fucking crazy, I SWEAR you use to be able to buy these simple minimal bit sets for under $5 and now I cannot find a basic bit assortment for under $10

My younger brother asked me to help him put together a basic tool bag since he's moving out with his GF soon and every fucking thing is double the price I remember and I can't tell if it's boomer brain lowballing what I paid for it, or if everything literally just doubled in price seemingly overnight
>>
>>2825993
I'm not feeling so hot fellas. My respirator blocked most of it but I've taken it off to retreat to the furthest corner of my apartment. Still light headed but I think I'll be fine. Just one more coat
>>
>>2826035
What kinda of filters are you using with the respirator?
>>
>>2826030
I’m sure you could fine that cheaper elsewhere. A lot of <$10 items on Amazon are more expensive than places like Harbor Freight because they factor in same day shipping, which is an extra couple bucks compared to what it should be. Large and overweight items are similar, look at jacks and jack stands, hard to find good deals on Amazon.

That brand you selected on Amazon is also some goofy Chinese sellers that overprices Aliexpress stuff quite a bit.

Picrel is another one of the security bit sets that was $7-$10 all over in brick and mortar stores a few years ago. Then Bidenomics hit, so it’s like $10 minimum in stores, maybe $8 at HF when there’s a coupon, and more like $15 on Amazon.
>>
>>2826042
The ones that came with it
>>
>>2826053
yeh..
>>
File: 1721268630059.jpg (105 KB, 1344x699)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>2826030
That bit set used to be $2.99 on special sale but the regular price was $4.99.
That was several years ago so it's gone up like everything else.
>>
>>2825982
Thanks. I did get the cover wiggling when I was trying, but I'll add heat and oil and try again. I had the cover wiggling a bit but it would get stuck after maybe half an inch. The stem opens backwards so I couldn't tell if maybe they were both reverse threaded or not
>>
>>2826078
>The stem opens backwards so I couldn't tell if maybe they were both reverse threaded or not
The stem will still have right-hand thread for the body.
The left-hand threads are only on the shaft.
>>
It is 1:45am and I am sitting in bed with my heart pounding, perhaps one of you can explain this. About ten minutes ago I was sitting here in the dark scrolling and had the ceiling fan on low when there was a terrible sound like an object striking something rapidly and there was a blue sporadic flash of light near the light switch. I jumped up and watched this for a few seconds before it stopped, nearly having a heart attack. I got up and checked the switch- no burns, no marks, nothing, and the ceiling fan was off. I hit the switch and it turned right back on, no problems.
What the HELL just happened?
inb4 "you dreamed/hallucinated it," I was wide awake and don't do drugs. The light and sound scared the absolute daylights out of me, still waiting for the adrenaline to subside.
>>
>>2826118
replace the switch
>>
What can I use for sound proofing AC pipes emitting 65Hz and 135Hz? They're already inside some foam.
>>
re my post in the last thread,

what's a ballpark cash price for an electrician to put in a new power outlet on my apartment's balcony on the dl?
>>
>>2826165
That's a fairly low frequency. Might be better off changing the length of pipe to avoid resonating at those frequencies.
>>
>>2826186
I mean this. They're mostly transferring sound from outside unit.
>>
>>2826190
Put more straps on them so they're not flopping around at 60hz for their whole length
>>
I've got a fixer upper I'm thinking of remodeling to move into. I'd tear out this shitty 60s wood paneling and rip up the shitstained carpet. How do I touch up holes or scratches on the hardwood floors?
>>
>>2826015
Surgery is a bad idea
>>
>>2826030
>everything literally just doubled in price seemingly overnight
Trying to start a trade war with China was a mistake.
>>
>>2826222
Starting NAFTA in the first place looks like a mistake, but it was intentional. A good economy runs in a loop, while a bad one has a hole poked in it.
>>
>>2826217
My house is 120 years old, we a few holes here and there in the floor and I'm the only person who notices.

If it's just a few holes, I wouldn't touch them. If they bug you, you can whittle a patch then try to match the colour with those coloured putty crayons they sell. If you want the floor to be perfect, you're going to need to completely refinish it : heavy sanding to remove the old varnish, sand it smooth, varnish.
>>
>>2826217
Put wifi extenders above them. Feed them with cat5e from below
>>
>>2826223
Remember Clinton's selling them missile tech and nuclear secrets to ease tensions? Good times

The payment never came through for the stealth fighter though so Billy authorized bombing a fucking embassy to keep it secret.
>>
>>2826221
But it’s who I am on the inside!
>>
I tried to clean one of these with WD-40, but unfortunately it failed since drip pan is beyond saving. I probably should have just bought a new one. If I still try using it, would there be any possible risks or hazards since coming into contact with WD-40?
>>
>>2826292
None at all.
I mean, wipe it off first.
Or better: wash it (hand wash in the sink with detergent would be fine) to clean off any residue from the WD-40.

If you still want to try to actually clean it, something like a Brillo steel wool oven cleaner pad might do the trick. It might scratch the chrome, but it ought to get off whatever baked on crap is on there.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that WD-40 would work to clean a drip pan.

In the future, when something drips onto those drip pans, take them off the stovetop and put them in the dishwasher after cooking. There's no need to let them get bad.
>>
Complete beginner to building anything here. What can I do to make a camera (my phone) make some camera movements without a friend to help? Like to set a timer and then make the camera drive/pan/dolly/raise/lower etc? Any cheap ideas?
I'm thinking maybe a cheap RC car that the control can be pressed after a timer goes off or something. Get creative
>>
>>2826295
A brillo pad isn't getting through any of this. And I remember being recommended WD-40 once for strong grease stains on some pans. I figured maybe it could work in this case, too. And I have no dishwasher. And I'm not even sure mine is actually chrome, I think it might be plain steel. I'll wash it off again, but I was afraid any amount of trace residue of WD-40 on this thing would cause an explosion or something.
>>
>>2826304
Dish detergent will clean off any residue from the WD-40.
>A brillo pad isn't getting through any of this.
You'd be surprised.
I see you were hoping that "just spray it with WD-40" would provide some magical cleaning result, without having to put in any actual effort scrubbing them, but once that shit is baked on, something abrasive and some muscle is really the only way you're going to make any headway.
>>
>>2826261
That's fine. But I really think you should learn to appreciate the cute feminine tool that God gave you.
>>
>>2826300
Most cameras have a 1/4"-20 mount, which is readily available at the hardware store. RC car servos are easy to set up and control. The control logic, servos and controller radio can all be purchased separately. I'd start with that to get familiar with RC stuff. Then look into controlling by computer, from an Arduino or Pi or laptop.

The hard part is that cheap RC servos might not have the torque to handle your camera. This is where you'd going to have to get mechanically creative - gear reductions, counter weights and so on.
>>
>>2826230
Honestly, I still had single digit age at the time, so I never learned that stuff.
>>
>>2826261
Don't be fooled. The Jewish doctor cannot reshape your body to the degree they tell you they can. They'll make the prettiest wound that will stink and itch endlessly, but will never bring pleasure. Your outsides cannot be a woman.
>>
>>2826300
Check out PWM controlled stuff. A moving camera can be done dirt cheap on an Arduino and a servo.
>>
>>2826452
Aww man really? Well I guess being a Wera owner is close enough.
>>
File: image000000 (1).jpg (200 KB, 1200x1600)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>2825927
Any tips how to get my bedsheets clean? I forgot to wash them for a few years and this pic is after washing twice with regular laundry detergent. Any ideas what I could do for better results? This is the same sheet, the part I lay on vs the part tucked under the mattress
>>
>>2826484
Try bleach or replacement.
>>
>>2825927
Someone connected his earth cable to my water pipe. Is this dangerous for me?
>>
>>2826118
It’s ghosts.Call an exorcist. Had this happen before with a light that flickered ended up just moving out.

>>2826170
Without getting eyes on it and knowing anything about your market I’m gonna go with $900 to start.

>>2826492
No it’s pretty standard.I Don’t use the shower during lighting storms though.
>>
>>2826015
If you got a tool that works, it's better to hang on to it even if you don't like it. You might need it one day, and in the meantime, it doesn't actually hurt your ability to wear skirts skirts or buttplugs.
>>
Some countries use metric router bits, 6/8/12mm. Any idea how common the different sizes are? Like, is it mostly 8mm, or do the 6 and 12 see a lot of use too?

>>2826484
Oxiclean in the hottest water you can, soak for a few hours, repeat as needed, finish with a regular wash. If you're not anti-cHeMiCaLs, the Oxiclean with whitener/blueing agent/optical brighteners/whatever they want to label it as will make it seem brighter. Blueing agent is just a tiny bit of dye, blue counters yellow to seem more white. Optical brighteners work kind of like stuff that glows under UV light, some wavelength of light hits it and gets reflected back as a different wavelength (in this case, UV/violet gets reflected back as blue).
>>
My fridge was running very hot, I took off the back plate where the coils are to vacuum them out, now after turning it back on it no longer makes any noise or starts cooling the compartments again. What the fuck happened?
>>
File: 20240506_140750.jpg (1.18 MB, 4000x3000)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Krauts or those familiar with kraut tools, what do the symbols on the left handle mean?
>>
Two-socket power outlet is controlled by light switch. I would like one of the sockets to be full-on, not controlled by the switch since I'll only ever have 1 lamp plugged in. Is there a simple way to do that or must I run new leads from the light switch behind the wall?
>>
>>2826564
That’s wire diameter. The circle with the slash in it is a non-kraut symbol for diameter I believe. I’m guessing the 2.5mm is like piano wire cutting capacity, meaning solid steel, and the middle one is probably copper wire cutting diameter if I had to guess. The one on the right, that’s probably 8mm and 10mm 6pt fasteners that fit in those little snowflake shaped slots inside the cutter if you want to use it like a wrench.
>>
>>2826561
F.

>>2826570
Prob needs another wire. Upside is you only need one wire, not another 3, you already have a good N and G in the box, just need a L that isn’t switched
>>
>>2826564
>>2826573
Here’s the spec sheet
>>
>>2826451
Half of it is fabrication.
>>
>>2826452
So you're saying I should hire a Catholic doctor?
>>
>>2826584
I mean, if you're hellbent on hating your crotch for the rest of your life, keep trying. Any good doctor will tell you to get real help instead of just chopping you up for profit.
>>
>>2826592
>this faggy ass display packaging
I don’t think I need the surgery after all. People will know I take it in the boipussy as soon as they see the Playskool screwdrivers
>>
File: endless.jpg (134 KB, 1024x768)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Am I insane for considering a basement swimming pool? I'm going to inherit my parents house in Michigan sometime in the next five years. They call their basement a "Michigan Basement" but the ceiling is eight feet, the floor is concrete and has drains. The foundation does weep water after heavy rains or a large snow melt, mostly due to them not making any effort to keep exterior water away from the foundation (the driveway side of the house has no gutters, water falls two stories down onto the driveway, which is patchy blobs of concrete and gravel).
What I'm thinking about is something small, like an "Endless Pool". I've seen the parts for one of those carried into basements, so I know that part is possible, though I might want to DIY it. Can a cover seal it tight enough for humidity to not become a problem? There's also a huge gas fired boiler down there that I think I might be able to get plumbed to do some heat exchange with the pool. Since it's the basement, any heat leaking out of the pool would still be in the building envelope.
Pool in the basement just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but it also seems like something that could work in that space if done right. I'm probably missing something in all of this. It's too cold much of the year to have an outdoor pool and the main reason I'd want one is for exercise, not for lounging.
>>
>>2826600
I know you must be very tempted right now, but do not stick the screwdrivers in your butt. They're missing the flat part, they're going to get lost in there and possibly puncture your colon.
>>
>>2825927
How do I build a fence?
>>
>>2826603
Pool in the basement is 100% useless if you live alone. You can't do laps. You're going to spend a lot of time and effort building it and keeping humidity out of the rest of the house but you're going to soak in it... once a month or less.
>>
>>2826619
Get posts
Put posts into the ground
Put horizontal stuff between posts (wire or rails)
Put vertical stuff onto the horizontal stuff (if using)
>>
>>2826618
But what else am I supposed to do with them? I want to be a #TOOLREBEL!!!
>>
>>2826629
I will add that you should take care when laying out your fence. Use a wire or string to make sure your lines are straight. Put in a small marker where you want each post to be.
>>
>>2826630
Wow that looks really hardcore.
You should see how many you can fit in bum at same time.
>>
>>2826642
The 5pc stubby torx set was on sale too, it’s tempting. I think if I get all 10 in there, Wera will send me a free t-shirt. Wiha sent me a “cease & decist” when I asked them if my OnlyFans including their products was worth a sponsorship.
>>
>>2826217
>I'd tear out this shitty 60s wood paneling
its generally not wood paneling but hard board. for the holes you just drill the hole to a size you can find a dowel in, glue in the dowel and cut it flush with a flush plane or chisel. and then stain it to match your floor.

>>2826564
wire cutting max diameter, max diameter of something round you can grip with it, the size of hex bolt the part behind the cutters is rated to grip.
>>
I just bought a home and I'm planning on tearing up the carpet to put in something else
Don't really care what, as long as it's simple. Probably some kind of faux hardwood and looks half-alright.
Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm an idiot doing things alone, but I think I'll manage even with mistakes. I'm ok with a little failure.
>>
>>2826682
Just spray down a thick layer of truck bed liner.
Don't even have to remove the carpet first.
>>
>>2826684
Tell me you never bought a dingle gallon of bed liner without telling me
>>
File: fence.jpg (804 KB, 2040x1536)
804 KB
804 KB JPG
How would you go about fixing this section of fence?
As you can see a pretty sad attempt has been made and it didn't turn out very well
>>
File: IMG_6088.jpg (2.26 MB, 4032x3024)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
There is a portal in my apartment whose two sides are not perfectly parallel. One is at an angle relative to the other, I am not permitted to modify the apartment besides mounting things in the walls: I'd like to make a simple, improvised pinewood doorjamb that screws into the wall to seal this portal with a door: This means I will need to have one board cut longitudinally at an angle. How do I determine the necessary angle?
>>
>>2826762
The relative angle of the sides of the wall hole? Place two planks, ends sawn straight, against the sides, and use one to draw a line on the other.
>>
Is there anything I need to know about moving into a residential house with a buried septic tank?
Agent said it'd probably never bother me. Still curious if I'll ever interface with it
>>
When it comes to drill bits, what kind of bits do I need for drilling through steel?
>>
I have to get rid of a harem of 14 pedo sex dolls.
These things are pretty heavy and unwieldy.
They won't all fit into my car. And even if they did I have no idea where to dispose of them.
>>
>>2826762
Just get a prehung door kit. That's within the tolerances.
>>
>>2826841
You didn't say what kind of steel.
>>
>>2826841
HSS unless it's some a special type of steel.
>>
What is a difference between an industrial drying machine from a washing salon and a home dryer? Except obvious that they are build sturdier to be able to work for years every day.
They have similar size and drum, yet the industrial one dries 2 weeks of my clothes in 30-40 minutes and my home one needs 2 to 3 hours.
>>
File: endless.jpg (120 KB, 1140x442)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>2826628
The point of an "endless" pool is that is generates enough flow to swim against. But the humidity is a big issue. In theory you should be able to seal it while not in use, which would limit how much moisture gets into the air but how effective are pool covers at being airtight? Going to guess the standard cover is relatively good at keeping the water in an outdoor pool from evaporating away but isn't airtight enough to keep dry indoor air from sucking up moisture from the pool surface even while covered.
>>
>>2826872
Because 5000w industrial dryer doesn't have an energy star tag that would fit in the residential aisle. 1500w units are cheaper to make and have a better energy rating, who cares if it takes 3 dry cycles to dry your clothes? that's just sooner unit failure and more sold units.
>>
>>2826874
How exactly are those 5000w utilized in an industrial machine if you can't blow hotter air or else you destroy the clothes?
>>
>>2826873
>But the humidity is a big issue.
>keeping the water from evaporating
this is only barely an issue in Arizona and parts of California where it's 120F in the desert and the solution is simply to use salt water. pool covers keep out the bugs and leaves, they don't keep the water in because it's a non-issue.

>>2826628
How do you have enough money to maintain a pool but not enough to have separate climate zones?

>>2826603
bro put in a home gym. also make sure the dirt is graded away from the house for 2-3' all the way around. a pool isn't going to make that wet ass basement any worse, but you should invest in a dehumidifier and fixing the moisture problem now anyway.
>>
>>2826217
you can replace full boards. we took out an island and just put the same wood in to replace the ones with cord holes before sanding and staining. wood floors can take about 3 full sand and stain in their lifetime, that's had zero so you're good. also most likely the floors will be so nice you won't need to do more than the other anons suggested.
>>
>>2826879
>How do you have enough money to maintain a pool but not enough to have separate climate zones?
I'm going to let you think up a coherent answer to this question. If you aren't to stupid, you'll find at least 3.
>>
>>2826841
Quality HSS drill bits (135deg split point) will go through regular steel no problem if they’re sharp and you know what you’re doing. If you’re trying to drill stainless steel or something hardened, then M42 and M35 cobalt bits will last longer. But they’re brittle and easy to snap and still won’t cut worth a damn if you don’t know how to drill in metal. M42 is harder than M35, but also more brittle.
>>
>>2826806
>Agent said it'd probably never bother me.
real estate agents are like used car salesmen, and do nothing but compulsively lie. and if they're saying it'll never bother you, what they mean is that it is full, you'll have to get it emptied, and it is also leaking
>>
>>2826865
>>2826888
Thanks fellas.
>>
>>2826292
Aren't those cheap as fuck? Why bother cleaning them
>>
>>2826603
>>2826879

I cover my indoor pool when I'm not using it and the cover bone dry on the top side. Humidity is kept around 50% in the room with my 2 dehumidifiers regulating it. Condensation drains back into the pool and as long as the temperture of the room is at least a couple degrees warmer than the pool evaporation is a non-issue.

If you treat it like a geothermal system it will keep the area warm. Evacuated glass solar warms my pool during the day and the heat radiates back out at night. Integration with a heat pump will allow you to capture heat from your HVAC system and dump it into the water
>>
>>2826497
Thanks. I thought the douche was going to electrocute me while I'm showering or something.
>>
If I turn on a tap or shower for hot water it's taking longer than before until the water coming out is hot should I be concerned? Once the hot water gets going all is good same temperature never runs out but I'd rather be safe than sorry if something is going to break soon
>>
File: floor runner.jpg (391 KB, 2016x1512)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
New home owner here. My floor trim is starting to peel away from the walls at certain spots. Is this something that I just staple back in place, paint over, apply caulk and forget about? Actually now that I look more closely it looks like the previous owner has already reapplied caulk at this exact point..... Is this a possible sign of water damage, warping and bending of the walls?
>>
I have a big family (including 3 girls and a wife) and so often my hot water tank is used up when I want to take a bath. Any reason why I shouldn’t use a sous vide to precisely ser the temperature of my bath (obviously I would not be in the bath while the thing is in there too). Seems like a sous vide is basically a water heater and a propeller. and keeping dozens of gallons of water at around 100F is around the same effort as keeping 5 gallons at 140F, so the device shouldn’t be too stressed. Tell me: am I a retard or a genius?
>>
>>2827039

Yes, but that gap looks bigger than the trim covering it, you might want to put a taller one after you confirm there is no damage behind it

>>2827044
>am I a retard?

Indeed, find out if your water heater is working properly and correctly sized. Better solution would be to crank it up and put in a mixing valve set at a lower temperature.
>>
>>2827078
Floor trim anon here. How do I confirm there is no damage without tearing apart the drywall?
>>
>>2825927
I have a wall right next to my stove - made of drywall because murica

Can I use a sheet of backsplash plate to protect it, or will that just drastically heat up and burn it around the edges anyhow? would i need to add some airflow spacers?
>>
>>2827039
wood trim can contract over time as it dries out/ages. Find out first if you're dealing with a roof leak working its way down inside that wall otherwise get a miter saw and consider getting pvc trim.
>>
Are pressure washer tools interchangeable? I’d like to get this one but want to be able to use cheaper Kärcher brushes and stuff
>>
>>2827159
Mostly, yes, assuming you’re not buying stuff for big industrial pressure washers.

But this is 4chan so google further before taking my advice.
>>
>>2826030
>American Mutt
They know their market.
>>
File: 1713835483182597.png (293 KB, 785x795)
293 KB
293 KB PNG
How do I know if I need/want 12v, 18v or 40v garden tools?
My yard and garden is fairly big, I timed the grass trimming on my corded strimmer and it took 40 minutes, not to mention I need 3 extension cables just to reach the border, I'm already using a gas powered mower for the mowing. People here and on youtube say 18v batteries last about 15-20 minutes
>>
>>2827187
Generally I wouldn't bother with anything sub 40v, or 36v if the company isn't actively lying to you.

I use a 36V lawnmower with dual 4Ah 18V batteries which is a fairly convenient system that does all my grass on with about 40% of a charge. The main problem with cordless strimmer is weight balance, batteries are heavy which is why you're probably better off getting one with a real blade head and a belt to take some of the weight off.
>>
>>2826118
Not an electrician but blue flash and banging noise suggests maybe an electrical arc. Like another anon said, replacing the switch would be a good idea. I don’t know how you checked it, but internal arcing may not be visible on the outside.
Do you have mice or other possible pests in your walls? A mouse touching two of the wrong wires might cause something like that. You probably don’t want to leave possible electrical faults in your wiring.
>>
>>2826118
Just a Jew in your wall trying to steal your electricity. It's okay. He's very crispy now.
>>
>>2826755
it’ll look fine after a few coats of whitewash.
if you’re clever you might be able to trick the neighborhood kids into doing it for you.
>>
>>2827034
Can you quantify this, or are you just going off """feels"""?
>>
File: privacy screen.png (963 KB, 909x687)
963 KB
963 KB PNG
>>2826755
Put up some privacy screen until you can get around to replacing the missing slats.
>>
>>2827188
I was leaning towards 36v but I didn't want to lead the answer I got.
>The main problem with cordless strimmer is weight balance, batteries are heavy which is why you're probably better off getting one with a real blade head and a belt to take some of the weight off.
So get a bush cutter saw blade, not a string trimmer head and shoulder strap? The Makita DUX60 is the one I was looking at as I also need a tall hedge trimmer, it comes with a strap, I dunno if other brands do or if I should even commit to Makita yet though
>>
>>2827219
Battery systems are tough, because once you buy one tool that basically decides all future purchases, otherwise you have to mix and match and essentially rebuy a new battery system every time. Personally I buy cheap. Spent 80 bucks on a second hand Einhell shop vac the other day, and it wound up coming with an extra couple of 4Ah batteries worth 50 bucks or so, and the cheap battery stuff constantly shows up on ebay without the price inflation that "pro" brands have because "uh it's a makita that means it's worth 300 bucks". My lawnmower was 250 bucks new, bought second hand for 60. Might pick up a brush cutter at the end of the season if I see one going cheap, because I fucking hate my string trimmer.
>>
>>2827187
Depends what tools.

12V is dumb aside from a lopper.

18V is good because you can use those batteries on tons of other tools. I recommend finding a drill you like from a brand with an extensive 18V system, and then buy the tools you want based on that. 18V hedge trimmers do just fine, weed eaters and blowers and chaindsaws are pretty good on 18V too, they’re similar to like homeowner 25cc 2-stroke tools assuming you have some bigget batteries.

18V lawnmowers will mostly suck, unless you go with something like that 4-battery Makita anon was talking about. I have seen some screaming deals on the Makita 18Vx2 mower with 4x 5.0 batteries on sale in store at Home Depot.

If you’re looking exclusively at yard tools and don’t care about the drill and such, the Ego 56V tools have been among the best for years now. Check out Ryobi 40V if you want to do it on a budget.

If I were doing it, assuming you’re not a contractor who already owns DeWalt or Milwaukee 18V/20V tools, I would go Ryobi 18V for the smaller stuff, and then either Ego 56V or Ryobi 40V for the mower and possibly string trimmer and chainsaw and blower if the 18V doesn’t have the balls.
>>
>>2827210
I didn't time or anything but I'd say it takes at least two more seconds to get hot water than before
>>
File: 1714698640491788.png (407 KB, 630x390)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
>>2827240
>Battery systems are tough, because once you buy one tool that basically decides all future purchases, otherwise you have to mix and match and essentially rebuy a new battery system every time.
Yeah I want to commit like an applefag to a single ecosystem, I don't need another desk full of chargers. But I have noticed Makita like Lenovo have a brand tax, I'm not sold on Makita but I do like their Power+Head and attachments system, seems space efficient
From what I can tell third party batteries are generally okay but I see a lot of negative reviews on third party chargers, is it okay to cheap out on the charger or should I go for the first party with third party batteries or does it depend on brand? I've seen the complaints about Makita DRM bricking batteries at low charge
>My lawnmower was 250 bucks new, bought second hand for 60. Might pick up a brush cutter at the end of the season if I see one going cheap, because I fucking hate my string trimmer.
Which string trimmer do you have?

>>2827248
I need a grass-strimmer and pole-hedge-trimmer as the hedges are 7+ feet, maybe a leaf blower in the future. And yeah I'll get a drill after I commit to a battery brand to go with it but every brand has drills. I have bushes on nearly every border, maybe 18v will be fine for that but if it takes me 40 minutes to strim the same area surely it will take similar to trim with a telescopic pole saw ?
I am not replacing the gas mower.
>>
>>2827258
Third party batteries are very hit and miss, and fakes are pretty rife for all the major brands. You basically have to stick to the real thing if you don't want to get fucked by shit cells that die after 10 charge cycles.

One consideration would be a gas hedge trimmer. They make similar multi function tools like that makita where you just swap the poles and the heavy engine is at the base so they're not as heavy to move around, and you can get them with grass strimmer heads.
>>
>>2827258
I would be weary of Makita. If you’re in the US and are willing to spend similar money, Milwaukee and DeWalt are both better choices.

Makita has done a lot of retarded stuff. Their 18V batteries max out at 6.0Ah, they can’t use larger cells to make 8.0s and 12.0s because of certain tool designs, and since they released the 40V line, seems like they have more new tools coming out in the 40V line and are giving up on the 18V line quite a bit. And the 40V line is overpriced considering a 2.5Ah 40V pack is pretty much the same as a 5.0Ah 18V pack, and 4.0Ah @ 40V is the same as the 8.0Ah packs from DeWalt and Milwaukee 20V/18V, it’s 10x 21700 cells.

As for the trimmer, when my cheap 2-stroke was giving me problems, I went with the Ryobi 18V HP brushless 15”, I got it on HD’s website, it’s like $160 bare tool but I got it with a 4.0Ah 18V battery and charger for $110 or $120. Haven’t seen that model in store, they either have the cheaper like 12” head brushed models or the little more expensive Whisper HP model. And I have the edger attachment, considering the pole saw attachment next. It’s been good to me, but I’m using the cheap 4.0Ah black packs. My yard is pretty small and trimming plus edging will get the pack down to 2/1 bars and get it kinda warm. I’m considering snagging the 6.0Ah or 8.0Ah HP packs for it one day, but using it weekly for like 2 years it still goes strong.

I think Ryobi sells the exact same thing with the 15” head on the 40V platform.
>>
>>2827258
>>2827269
Also agree with this anon about 3rd party batteries. They’re cheap Chinese cells that lose capacity fast, especially if you’re using them in high draw tools. And pretty much every “6.0Ah” knockoff pack I have seen somebody open up from ebay or Amazon is 1500mAh-2000mAh chinese cells, meaning even when it’s brand new under ideal conditions, it’s only 1/2 to 2/3 the rated capacity, and likely less in a high draw tool.

Ryobi batteries are cheap enough if you shop with the sales, and they’re on sale like 50% off about half the year. Plus they have a 3 year warranty.

DeWalt and Milwaukee packs have a 3 year warranty as well and have constant sales. Milwaukee has a cooler tool selection IMHO for mechanics and such, but DeWalt is sold at more retailers and has better sales.
>>
>be me
>want to try forging
>take 4 scrap cinder blocks and make a U shape with one on top
>grab bag of charcoal
>hook up hair dryer
>put in railroad spike
>keep it in for a long time
>doesn’t get red hot but hot enough to make quarter shapes in metal
What am I doing wrong? Do I need a leaf blower, or is my charcoal cool burning?
>>
File: 71iAyWHS1KL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (98 KB, 1500x911)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
What's the best <$200 ""prosumer"" hammer drill whether SDS or not? I have a $200 Bosch cordless but I don't want to blow it out just to put some holes into $3 concrete blocks for a little project, I bought it for regular drilling where torque matters, not for hammer drilling. All the ones I've looked at, corded and cordless, had very mixed reviews. The pic related Bosch Bulldog seems to be the best corded option in this range, but I figured I'd ask for opinions here. Only other foreseeable use would be shooting a couple anchors into a foundation.

If you're thinking it's dumb to go for an "expensive" SDS, I was looking at much cheaper shit like the Bauer line and Skil and such but basically I do not want to be put in a position where I have a tool die in the middle of a project, and I'm willing to pay something extra for that. Having tools just work is really awesome. I am sure the Bauer cheapo $40 unit CAN drill into concrete adequately. I am not sure how many times it can do it, Bauer stuff has a known flaw with the chuck/shaft (some DeWalts have a similar issue).
>>
>>2827365
Just do the Bulldog if it’s in your budget. They’re kind of the standard for SDS drills. If you’re going corded, it doesn’t matter. I’m sure DeWalt and Makita and Milwaukee have nice SDS drills, but you can’t go wrong with a Bulldog SDS or Metabo grinder or Milwaukee reciprocating saw or Band-Aid brand adhesive strips.
>>
>>2827361
Try increasing surface area by breaking it into smaller pieces. If that doesn't work, get or create proper charcoal. (Basically the carbon left from wood.) Airflow and surface area are the key to making heat.
>>
File: 20240721_185351.jpg (260 KB, 4032x2268)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
small bathroom remodel. floor vent was moved so that it would be a wall vent. old house so the studs were 2x4s, so the duct stuff that was used sticks out slightly. Any clever ideas for hiding the protrusion, especially the lower rectangle bit there
>>
>>2827365
>What's the best <$200 ""prosumer"" hammer drill whether SDS or not?
Your picture. I have one. It's great. Do I lust for an SDS-MAX? Yes. Can I do everything I need to do with SDS-Plus? Just about.
>>
File: annotated.png (728 KB, 519x972)
728 KB
728 KB PNG
I've got a structure that I need to add a decking to.
The structure is 9x4.5m and the decking will span the front of the structure outwards 2.4m.
Originally, I was planning on using brackets to hold the joists in place, but:
>i may've fucked up sizing and the whole bracket will not fit against the bearer to get the right height for the decking
>i dislike brackets
Instead, would it be structurally sound to screw or bolt a 90x45mm along the whole of the bearers that the decking joists could rest on?
Pic related (and will follow up with other pics of structure for more context)
>>
File: 20240722_122004.jpg (200 KB, 2080x1040)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>2827438
This be the front of the structure.
>>
File: rough-design.png (49 KB, 844x721)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>2827440
And this is the rough design of the decking (I'd do the same approach for the side not attached to the structure).
The span between joists will actually be 600mm though (that meets standards here). And because the decking pieces we'll be using are thick, I think it'll be fine (we've used them elsewhere at larger spans).
>>
Are solar panel microinverters really that better much better than monolithic inverters?
I've seen them being shilled like crazy by youtubers and I get that if one of them fails the others keep producing but I rather not climb up the roof everytime something breaks which is all the time since they are exposed to the elements and are susceptible to high temperatures, my normal inverter has 4 loud ass fans to stay cool and if it fails I can just rip it off the wall.
>>
>>2827438
bolts are overkill but screws are prone to shearing, use nails.
>>
Some time ago on DIY some weird kid wanted to make a doll. "Not a sex doll" he was a schizo. He made dolls before out of his sister's clothes and his mother wanted him to get rid of it. I might be conflating two different people in the thread. What the hell happened with that?
>>
File: 1718833231585298.jpg (52 KB, 480x360)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>2827506
He did it. Bless his soul.
>>
File: home-goals-3-small.jpg (887 KB, 2048x1536)
887 KB
887 KB JPG
What type of construction do you guys think this house is? I'd happily move across state to buy this if not for it being 120k and needing a new roof, major structural repairs, and the driveway/garage redone
>>
File: home-goals-2.jpg (3.93 MB, 2048x1536)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB JPG
>>2827510
More pic.
>>
>>2827510
> What type of construction do you guys think this house is?
Typical american shitterhouse. Bolt some two by fours and your repair is done.
>>
>>2827472
>use nails
Thanks. Is the idea itself structurally sound?
>>
>>2827527
You might want a notch on the 90x45 or even a small bracket to prevent the joist from falling on its side, it shouldn't but better safe than sorry.
>>
>>2827515
I mean architectural style, herp
>>
>>2827469
Micro inverters are a bit safer since you only have 240V AC coming off your roof instead whatever your dc string voltage is. Then you get module level performance data without adding an extra device. A string inverter won’t always tell you what panel is bad. Plus some warranties are better than others and include labor to replace.
>>
>>2826498
Friends! I might have a problem. All 5 went in, but only 3 came out. Wut do?
>>
since gasoline is lighter than water and doesn’t micturate with water but can soak into anything would it be feasible to create a gasoline pickling apparatus for human bodies where the gasoline displaces the water which then sinks down and drains through an osmotic drain leaving the mellified human bodies as a perfect form of solid fuel?
If so, would it be more efficient for circulatory reasons if the human body were still alive when first placed into the petropickler?
>>
>>2827438
Do not attach your decking to your house.
>>
>>2827510
Can barely tell with all the fucking foliage. This house definitely will need a powerwash. The garage screams midcentury but the house shape looks like ranch.
>>
>>2827510
Any pics from inside?
>>
>>2827097
inspection cameras can be had for cheap on amazon, then you're just drilling holes and patching them
>>
>>2826879
It's my parents house. They're elderly and want to age in place until they can't anymore. Mom is in her late 70s and dad in his early 80s. He still loves to /diy/ but, well, he's in his 80s so botches up a lot of things. I've never understood his disinterest in directing water away from the house, parts of which don't even have gutters. I don't want to pressure them any as they're old and set in their ways and he likes to feel useful.
They want me to take over the house when they no longer are able to live there. We've discussed the possibility of selling it for lot value as this is a trendy area where older homes get torn down for new million dollar homes. I just think it's a shame when older but still functional homes are torn down. This one should have at least another fifty years in it, maybe more, if the foundation hasn't been fucked.
>>2826946
That's interesting info. The house is in Michigan, where heat pumps are rare, especially for heating. Not sure how well solar water heating would work in the winter though maybe worth it as a supplement. Like most houses there, it has a massive gas fueled boiler that provides heat to the house, mostly through baseboard radiators.
>>
File: thats a lot of green.png (1.75 MB, 1217x811)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB PNG
>>2827512
Based. I like green.
>>
File: file.png (45 KB, 512x512)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
What's a good site or place to sell local stuff? My parents home has a bunch of junk in it, clothing, old PC parts, towels, and other shit ever since they divorced.

I've been using offerup on mobile to sell some shit since it's easy for me and shit, but It's been kinda dead for me using it.

I tried facebook marketplace, but I just keep on getting people asking me for my phone number there to do a google voice scam. Is craiglist any good?

I also want to start a garage sale to sell stuff quicker, but my parent garage is also filled with tools, fishing gear, and treadmills.

Should I bite the bullet and try to learn how to ship stuff out to slowly get stuff out?
>>
>>2827740
Have you ever used craigslist.org?
>>
>>2827741
I will try craigslist.org
>>
>>2827740
>>2827742
Craigslist used to be the go-to. It’s still ok. OfferUp aint bad, last few things I sold were like 50/50 replies split between those two websites. I heard FB marketplace is booming too though.

If you’re only getting spam replies, consider that you’re asking too much or it’s trash that nobody wants to buy.
>>
Since /o/ is 98% busriders…

Blue quick connect going to the fuel sending unit is pissing out a little gas when the car is running and it stinks. Seems to be a 3/8” plastic coming off the fuel pump, and then into a 5/16” hose. Been searching half the day and haven’t found the exact fitting.
>>
>>2827957
…so I found picrel at Vato Zone, got the push-in fittings so I don’t have to mess with the heat gun around all the gas. The problem is the male 3/8” part on the fuel sending unit is too long. The old black and blue connector is deeper on the female part. So with the new one, I can’t push it on the fuel sending part far enough for it to actually clip over the little rib.

The closest I have found anywhere looks to be Dorman 800-969. Looks nearly the same as the old fitting, but it’s internet only and the barb for the fuel line is 3/8” instead of 5/16”.

So I figure I have a few options. #1 is cut down the male part on the fuel sending unit so it seats 100% in the picrel quick connect I got today. But if it doesn’t seat correctly, I rekt the fuel sending unit. #2 is to order that 800-969, then a length of 3/8” hose, then get a 3/8” to 5/16” hose adapter, but that’s more potential leaky spots, assuming that 800-969 actually fits onto the sending unit.

#3 is I say fuck it, get the 5/16” to 3/8” hose adapter, a short length of 3/8” hose, and force the hose over the male sending unit part and put a hose clamp on there with no quick connect.

Any ideas? Spent $40 on picrel at VatoZone, deciding whether to return it or try #1.

Only reply on /o/ so far after 12hrs is somebody telling me to replace the sending unit, which doesn’t help my situation at all.
>>
>>2827512
Really wish there were a way to have a house look like this but without it fucking everything up.
>>
>>2827959
what vehicle?
>>
>>2827959
Have you looked inside the existing quick connect fitting to see if there's just an o-ring or two that needs replaced? The "quick connect" part is just for latching, it's not what makes the seal.

If you do replace any o-rings, make sure they can tolerate exposure to fuel.
>>
>>2827959
>doorman
>not buying original parts
how poor are you, and how much do you hate your car?
>>
>>2827981
2008 Escape 2.3L. I’ve been digging and digging. Picrel looks to be the closest thing I can order online, but it’s a 3/8” barb, then I would have to do another adapter to go from the 5/16” fuel line to 3/8” to the quick connect. And I would rather not have a bunch more quick connects that could leak.

>>2827993
There’s a yellow o-ring in there. The replacement has a yellow and black o-ring, so the original one might have a 2nd o-ring in there that I didn’t see because it’s black on black. The problem with that is the black and blue quick connect is super deep (which is why the new one doesn’t fit). If I were able to find those super thin o-rings, thinner than any other similar diameter o-rings I have, it would be shitty to get them seated properly since they’re like 1” deep inside a 3/8” dia hole.
>>
>>2827995
I don’t care about that car, Dorman normally lasts a couple years. I pulled up some fuel tank and sending unit diagrams from Ford and there’s no listing for that quick connect. If I could find the part, it’s probably a long ass line.
>>
File: fmd-cut-away-medtilt2.jpg (36 KB, 381x427)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
What's the trick to removing the filter/flame arrestor out of these goddamned new-style gas cans? I need to install vent caps.
>>
>>2828050
Amazon and possibly Harbor Freight will sell you a big assorted pack of old school caps for $10-$15.

Fucking commiefornia does it again.
>>
>>2828050
>goddamned new-style
OK, boomer
>>
I’m in the market for a battery operated shopvac. I’m deciding between Ryobi and DeWalt. I’m deciding between those two because i already have a dewalt battery and charger but I want to get in to Ryobi environment. The dewalt shopvacs are around $150 without a battery and charge, the ryobi is like $140 with a battery and charger. I’ll mostly be vacuuming up shit around the house like spider webs, pet hair, random shit that builds up on stairs, food scraps, my car interior, etc. it mostly wont be for construction things. I mostly want a vacuum that I don’t need to dick around with outlets (my house is 130+ years old and outlets aren’t exactly everywhere)
>>
>>2828064
I think there really isn't a whole lot of difference. I'd probably stick to 36V as a minimum, the few 18V systems I've seen are very weak.

The one flaw with shop vacs is they don't tend to do well on carpet due to the lack of brush bars. The other option is getting something like a dyson or other consumer stick vacuum, they're a bit weak but they at least have brush bars and you can probably get an older model with a battery for about 150 bucks. You can get bulky powered brush bars or turbo brushes that sap some of the vacuum power to spin a turbine.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (56 KB, 850x954)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2828060
i'm talking about these
installation requires snaking it through the can's opening on a wire but gay new cans usually have a permanent flame arrestor mesh there which prevents doing so
i need to pull them out
i have seen photos of them pulled in 1 piece, but no info on how it's done
>>
>>2828075
just buy a real can instead retard holy fuck
>>
ha i figured it out no thanks to you braindead jew faggots trying to sell me even more chinese trash that also doesn't do what i want

the trick is pry upward and outward from the inside with a pry bar until you can get a flathead between the mesh and the fill neck, bend it, then you just slip pliers in and pull it out

>>2828075
KYS Shlomo
shove your EPA cans up your ass
>>
>>2827693
Talked to dad today and asked about the boiler. It's gas fired and from 1938. Probably lined with asbestos. Since the house is about four decades older than that, it wasn't put in during construction but he also says he doesn't see how it was brought in as it's larger than any of the doors. Might just have a nuke dropped on the house as it would be simpler.
>>
I got this desk from China it comes with a powerbar you can fix in the desk y'all think it's safe to use or I will risk burning the place down?
>>
File: Eagle.jpg (104 KB, 1114x627)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>2828050
Looks gay as hell anon. Get a real can.
>>
I have a small air conditioner and I had other stuff plugged in in the room with it. I measured the voltage of the plug at around 118 but when the compressor comes on it goes and stays at 117V while it's running. Is that something to worry about? And will it damage electronics?
>>
>>2828064
Can’t go wrong either way. Just make sure you have realistic expectations because regular 120V shop vacs are power hungry. I’m sure some of the newest HP Ryobi is getting closer though.

Wouldn’t shit on ya for getting into Ryobi, their 18V platform has so much homeowner stuff, like 10 vacuums to choose from. Plus they have 8.0Ah+ packs these days if you’re inclined to get those. And a lot of the “around the house” stuff, like you want a 120V power supply that runs off an 18V battery or some lanterns or fans, the Ryobi is typically much more affordable just because of the brand name. I noticed this when I compared the $100+ M18 fan, the $70 Ridgid, and the $40 Ryobi… the Ryobi is built plenty tough enough and a variable speed switch on the Milwaukee vs 3spd on the Ryobi is not worth 3x the price.
>>
>>2828166
No and no. You're fine down to 110, and more than likely fine down to about 100v. Large loads will cause minor voltage drops like that.
>>
>>2828069
Thanks anon! I didn’t know there was a 36v shopvac. I’ll check it out.

I don’t think I’ll be using it to vacuum carpet much except in my car and maybe to suck up pet hair before I go over it with a regular vacuum. I mostly want it to get to tough spots (which are tougher for me than other people since most rooms have no power outlets). The entire house is hardwood besides a few rugs anyway

>>2828168
>homeowner stuff
That’s why I’m looking at ryobi. I use power tools maybe 20 minutes per month? Their shit is so much cheaper and I don’t use it enough to justify getting much more expensive tools
>>
File: F-03920-R1-2d[1].jpg (24 KB, 350x210)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
I wanna use this style foam for my heavy duty trailer hitch. I already have a metal case I want to use. I need a foam that's very dense so it doesn't compress and wear away quickly. Closed cell style? I've used this type of foam before when throwing together a travel case for my Steam Deck, and it worked out pretty well but the foam I used for that is very soft and compressible, which is what I don't want.

Anyone make some recommendations, preferably something I can just order on Amazon? Hard to get what I want without being able to feel it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (19 KB, 730x1042)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
Is this fine or do a really need to get a junction box up there
>>
>>2827577
Yes
>>
File: fourthhand[1].jpg (45 KB, 414x398)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Where can I buy individual components for the helping hands soldering tool?
>>
>>2828292

Inaccessible splices are not allowed anywhere, far as I'm aware. I mean, I can't figure out what the hell I'm looking at (light on a post?), so that may not apply in your case. Or you may just be in a position to not care, IDK.
>>
>>2828225

Regular 6lb neoprene foam (pretty standard density) is probably what you're looking for.
>>
>>2828292
legally yes
>>
>>2828316
>>2828321
Yeah that's what I figured from my googling. Might redneck engineer some access bullshit or maybe just shorten the post altogether, now that I'm looking at it at night it kinda feels overbearing at that length anyway.
>>
File: FJC0OH2F7PCOX6T[1].jpg (92 KB, 1024x768)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2828314
I built something similar to this from parts on Amazon about a decade ago and it has been great.

https://www.instructables.com/Third-Hand-A-multi-use-helping-hand-for-electro/

Basically, you get some "Flexible Water Oil Coolant Pipe" on Amazon, some steel alligator clips, and some super cheap banana plugs. You take apart the plugs and use them to adapt the alligator clips to the ends of the flex pipe. You drill some threated holes in a base (I used a thick piece of wood) and screw them in. Done. Depending on how many arms you want and what tools you already have you can make this super cheap. You don't need to buy a tap for threading the banana plugs. Just heat the ends of the pipes, screw in the banana plugs, and allow them to cool.
>>
didn't see this thread
oh well
>>2828449
>>
File: R.jpg (1.56 MB, 3915x3915)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
I have a 10 gauge steel sheet that is 24x24 inches. In all likelihood I need to cut it in half. Is it better to use an angle grinder to do this or find a metal cutting blade for my circular saw like pic related. OR am I ignorant and it's not just a simple blade swap and I need a dedicated saw?
>>
>>2825927
Why when I pour concrete, it's so dry?
The bag says max water amount is 3/4 of a gallon.

On youtube videos, everyone's concrete seems super wet, yet mines seems very dry.

I live in a very dry climate, 15% humidity, and 100 degrees Fahrenheit is average.
I assume this may be potentially causing my concrete to dry out faster, but it doesn't seem right still.
>>
>June last year notice a small drip coming from top of door frame to ensuite bathroom
>Get guy to come check the roof and the space above the ceiling inside the roof
>He can’t find anything
>Says it will cost $1500 (AUD) just to get a guy to come in and check the roof for an hour
>Speak to friends
>They suggest that wild weather may have just blown some water under the roof capping and if it’s not constant or continuing to not worry about it
>Over a year later wake up to the sound of a slow drip
>Has been raining on and off for days at this point
>Small crack in the corner of the ceiling in same bathroom
>Dab it with a towel and then it stops
>More rain comes and after a while I hear the drip again
>Go to check if it’s same spot again
>It is and I go to dab it with a towel
>At this same time notice a paint bubble + series of smaller bubbles leading from that same corner

What should I do? Will it just cause more damage if I leave this thing unpopped or will it fade on its own?
>>
>>2828618
I don’t know why my images rotate but here’s the trail to the corner
>>
M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C.,,.
>>
M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C
>>
File: stmrjm.png (3.92 MB, 1900x2096)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB PNG
What are my options for temporary window insulation to reduce outside noise? They're small windows, (like, 29" x 21 1/2"). And I say temporary because the insulation has to be removable because I'm in an apartment.
Basically I fucking hate dogs and killing my neighbors' ones in front of them isn't realistic unfortunately.
>>
File: 1718316480023269.jpg (152 KB, 841x1024)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>2825927
How meticulous are your plans? I want to build a computer desk because nobody sells what I want, in the dimensions I need. I've probably drawn out some idea of what I want at least 3-4 times now; I still haven't purchased any materials to make any of those iterations reality.
>>
Are window installations always going to cost like $800 bucks a window? I need to replace like 6 windows in my house but I never realized how expensive they are.
>>
>>2828621
>>2828622
>>2828624
>>2828642
What he keeps saying is the solution to this problem.
>>
>>2828634
>How meticulous are your plans?
I draw plans on a 8.5x11 grid paper. I use that to calculate the size of every thing. I then ignore the plans while working.
>>
>>2828641
800 bux to install a window is very pricey. What market are you in?
>>
>>2828618
>>2828620
it will dry out but the bubbles will stay

you need to go into your attic when it's actively leaking and find out where it's coming from exactly
>>
>>2828634
>plans
lol
just start cutting and measure as you go
>>
Last year I replaced the rotor of a water pump that broke at the shaft. Recently it seems the new rotor broke again the same way. What could have been causing this issue? At first I thought it was just an old part but this one lasted less than an year.
>>
>>2828691
>What could have been causing this issue?
To much torque
>>
>>2828692
What are some ways to mitigate that? A soft starter maybe?
>>
I have an outdoor wood project and a bunch of OSB. If I flex seal it, how longwould it last?

The project is a wooden frame for an inflatble hottub. I include this information because it will also be exposed to water, not just sunlight.
>>
>>2828712
entirely depends on case use and model/specs of pump
>>
>>2828677
I'm in a suburb in Wisconsin near the capitol. I was quoted near 10k for 12 windows and pretty much just thought about doing it myself over a couple weeks.
>>
File: IMG_1202.jpg (1.95 MB, 3264x2448)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
How’s the right way to repair the broken hook?
Or any ideas to make it functional? I don’t know if JB and a .22cace would be able to take the leverage a belt buckle must endure.
>>
>>2827638
Why the fuck not? It's going to be a veranda and those are generally attached to the structure.
>>
>>2828732
If your plan is to surround the hot tub with the flex sealed osb, you’ll get one season out of it. Moisture will get in and not get out. You could try sealing one side, but for what you’ll spend on flex seal it’s not going to extend the life of glued together wood chips very much.

>>2828675
Based plan ignorer

>>2828647
It’s a solution, but it’s not based.
>>
>>2828772
I don't know. Dissolving a willful retard in acid could be pretty metal.
>>
File: Sal.jpg (14 KB, 338x319)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>2825927
Hey anons. Got some new lamps. They came with LED bulbs, but I only run incandescent (inc) because LED sucks for a host of reasons.

I figured I could just pop my inc bulbs into the socket but noticed these new lamps are only rated for 20W... what the fuck? All my inc's are 60W+. These are pretty well ventilated lamps, but I understand it might be a danger to the actual internal components of the socket. What's my fire risk here? Risk of actually damaging the lamps? Is this just big LED propaganda? Do I need to be buying vintage lamps? Thanks.
>>
I'm converting my electric cooktop to a gas cooktop. I already got the gas line run, but obviously the electric cooktop is running on a 220 30a outlet, while the gas only needs a standard 15a household receptacle. Pic related would be fine to use so I don't have to bother swapping the outlet out, right?
>>
>>2828780
there’s really no way of knowing without analyzing every component for heat resistance and current capacity. Possibly they used thinner wires, possibly they used meltier plastic, maybe just the lampshade will melt.
Maybe they can withstand 60 watts just fine, it’s hard to say. LED lights hold all their heat in the base while incandescent lights radiate it out with the light.
the worst that could happen is that they burst into flames and incinerate you like a cartoon dog in a burning room, which won’t affect me, so I wouldn’t worry about it, if I were me, which I am.
>>
>>2828800
Depends on your electric regulations. If something catches fire and your house burns down, your insurance company will use something like this to gutfuck you.
>>
>>2828800
Is this going to result in your gas cooktop being ungrounded? Is the gas cooktop designed to be run ungrounded?
>>
>>2828807
>>2828805
Southwire sells these which are specifically designed for what I want to do, but they don't make one for a 30a receptacle, just 50a
>>
File: 1721892637007.jpg (1.91 MB, 4000x1800)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
what are these called? i need to replace them.
my grandma has these things on the top of some closet doors. there's supposed to be steel balls in the tubes but they've worn down and all of them them popped out at about the same time.
>>
>>2828814
A closet ball catch
>>
>>2828816
thanks.
>>
>>2828772
>It’s a solution, but it’s not based.
>>
>>2828767
>Why the fuck not?
Because decks rot and will take the house with them.
>>
>>2828780
>Do I need to be buying vintage lamps?
You need to get over your autism.
>>
>>2828780
>what the fuck?
Yeah, leds run at a much lower power. That's why everyone uses them.
But it PROBABLY won't burn down. There aren't any active components in the lamp, it's just a matter whether the wires can take it. Give it a try and report back!
>>
>>2828800
>Pic related would be fine to use so I don't have to bother swapping the outlet out, right?
No, it wouldn't be fine. It would be a stupid fucking idea. NEMA 10-30P can be 220v or 110v. Your old stove ran 220v. That cable isn't going to magically turn the 220v into 110v. You'd be running your gas cooktop at 220v. Why the fuck do you insist on doing this the dumbest way possible? Being stupid with flammable gases and electricity is how you die and kill other people.
>>
>>2828780
Why don't you like LEDs? They last ages and are hard to break. Is it about the color tempature?
>>
>>2826806
you mean its not in use?
>>
>>2828829
Not him but aren’t the wires for those USA 220V outlets hot/hot/neutral? So the hot are out of phase and between the hot and 2nd phase hot it’s 220v but between either hot and the neutral it’s 110V. Am I wrong?
>>
>>2828823
Fuck!
>>
>>2828847
>Am I wrong?
Nope
>>
M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C…
>>
>>2828812
Why not just wire in a new outlet properly? Swap outlet, swap breaker… good to go.
>>
>>2828825
Relax homo[wner]. He’s gonna use composit spacers between the header and flash things properly isn’t he.
>>
>>2828931
>isn’t he
Dollars to donuts he's not
>>
>>2828891
Because that's a lot more work than simply plugging in an adapter and forgetting about it.
>>
File: IMG_20240725_191703.jpg (3.74 MB, 3000x4000)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
UK, 240v AC. Note a mouse has stripped away the plastic around the brown/lice wire. As a temporary bodge, could I cut the damaged length leading to the socket off. cut a new length to the socket and attach it to the mains via one of those cable plastic sockets/boxes where you screw in the wires (sorry I forget what they're called)?
>>
>>2828839
The light flicker of LEDs can cause migraines and messes up sleep cycles, its pretty well documented. The color spectrum and temp is another complaint. And the government saying overnight that incandescent is banned and we have to use shitty overpriced LED bulbs is the cherry on top. That pretty much everyone took that one lying down is sad
>>
File: 71cZyOAMuAL.jpg (51 KB, 860x775)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2828959
Electrical connector block! I remembered
>>
>>2828625
Anyone? Anyone at all? I'm about to commit a crime.
>>
>>2828959
>As a temporary bodge
No. Don't do that. Cover it in liquid tape then call an electrician
>>
>>2828960
I would like to see documentation of LED "flickering." If you don't like the colour, get the correct LED. And the banning didn't happen "overnight" it was a while in happening. Incandescent were a wasteful mistake. This was known since they were marketed. The ban happened when an adequate replacement became mass produced.

tl;dr - you are an autism crying over a change you can't control
>>
>>2828931
>composit spacers
im 12 and what is this
>>2828932
The gap between the decks is large (and I do use 3D printed spacers (if that's what the above is).
I've also put a shit ton of oil on the deck every year or so to make it so that the water runs off rather than soaks.
My main question though is brackets or to mount the timber against the bearers as per pic related:
>>2827438
>also typo: should say 2400x140x45mm (not 25mm)
>>
Let me ask you about radon abatement systems. This is a system that sucks up the air under the foundation of basements, that manages to get trapped between the dirt/gravel/concrete.
This system is constantly pulling a negative pressure to exhaust out the rooftop, so theoretically, wouldn't I be able to add piping and a shutter/valve to the existing system and use it for chemical/hobby exhaust purposes? The system seems to be pulling 1.6" of water through a 3" pvc pipe, which is about 400Pa.
Some hobby hoods seem to have ratings of 140 cfm (4 m3/min) but I'm having an awful time trying to find a clean equation to compare these values.

>>2828625
Quilted sound insulation pads that you hang over the window. Hopefully the windows have curtain rods or something else to hang them off of. Otherwise you'll have to remember to get a heat gun or hair dryer to get off the velcro that you tape on.
>>
>>2829013
Like this?

http://amazon.co.uk/Liquid-Electrical-Tape-Insulating-Black-125ml/dp/B0CX58Y6VF/

The person I'm doing this on behalf of can't afford an electrician at the moment
>>
M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C
>>
>>2829018
>>2829013
How long lasting would this be as a patch?
>>
>>2829015
12 seconds on Google:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKSR7UFWsCU
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-scientific-reason-you-dont-like-led-bulbs-mdash-and-the-simple-way-to-fix-them/
https://www.facilitiesnet.com/lighting/tip/Headache-Alert-Some-LEDs-Have-Flicker-Problems--41430
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/can-led-lights-cause-headaches
https://www.makegreatlight.com/about-us/blog/are-led-lights-causing-your-migraines
https://www.npr.org/2023/12/22/1198908957/led-lights-flicker-headache

See for yourself, use the slow-motion video function on your phone and take a vid of an LED bulb. Not all have terrible flicker, but most I've tested do. If you really don't mind filling your home with horrible flickering light, be my guest. Enough people have independently come to the conclusion that LED disturbs their health, not sure why you feel the need to shill LED
>>
>>2829026
wrong pic
>>
>>2829018
That's what I mean, yes
>>2829020
Weeks. Maybe months. Have you dealt with the mice?
>>
File: 1715855876784538.png (132 KB, 1078x897)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
I'm reading the manual for an inverter/charger, and it recommends using a 400A fuse with 2x AWG 1/0 cables (pic related).

From what I can find elsewhere, the ampacity of 1/0 cable is more like 150A. Should I be using a 300A fuse instead, or is 400A indeed the correct sizing?
>>
>>2829054
Never. I had suggested the person in question address all rodent ingress before patching the wire up (patch being they'll need an electrician to fish a replacement cable around the house). Thank you
>>
>>2829116
Fuse ratings are for short to instant loads, wire ratings are for constant loads, so they are more forgiving, in any case divide the inverter wattage by the battery voltage and you will get your actual amps.
>>
File: 1721983445095.jpg (68 KB, 800x600)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
There exist those super cheap aluminum profiles of different shapes and sizes I saw in our european analog of "home depot". The shapes are boxes, U-profiles like on the pic and angle profiles. I want to build small tents using smallest of them, they are like 5x5mm and plenty strong for my application.

How do I make a corner connection where three of them are coming at 90 degrees? I asked the worker in the mall and he didn't know lol. I assumed there have to be pre-made corners that you just push inside of profiles but I couldn't find anything. Any help? I know there's also those cool looking profiles that many use for 3d printers, but they are too expensive for the amount I need so don't suggest those please.
>>
>>2829159
Just fire off a design to a 3d print on demand place. Easy to design.
>>
>>2829160
That would be several times more expensive than the metal profiles I assume.
>>
>>2829159
Easiest way would be just buying angle brackets and bolting them on. I don't know if anyone really makes frame systems for these tiny profiles, they're generally made out of plastic and they'd be very flimsy at those kind of sizes.
>>
What's the tool to get if I wanna cut strips and pieces from large pieces of wood?
Think 2500 x 1250 OSB or 3000 x 1500 Multiplex?
/diy/ sized table saws seem way too small. Circular hand saw with a track? I've got one without a track and it works quite well when I'm using some long masons level as a guide, but just not exactly perfect.
>>
>>2829215
Your current saw + a strip of straight material as long or longer than the material you want to cut + two C clamps.
>>
>>2829027
What is a capacitor?
>>
Is a 100 amp breaker too small for a 1900 sq ft home? I looked through a house today and the realtor said it was a bit small for the house.
I didn't notice any big appliances other than an electric range, AC unit, washer/dryer and I wouldn't plan on putting anything else in.
>>
File: IMG_2531.jpg (2.21 MB, 4032x3024)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
How can I get a new spring for this? It’s a door knob mechanism for a house built in 1883. The latch stopped coming out. There’s like a Bobby pin looking thing that’s supposed to go on top to act like a spring (i post a 2nd pic). If I can’t get a spring, can I nigger rig it some how?
>>
File: IMG_2534.jpg (1.06 MB, 2338x2189)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>2829289
>go on top
Apparently it didn’t save my rotation so it’s on the left.

On this one, there’s part of the spring (obviosly broken) and when I hold it in place where all the wear spots match, it works perfectly fine.
>>
Hello anon. I am refinishing my butcher block counter, going to sand it and finish with linseed oil. The wood around the tap has rotted quite a bit, pic related. How would you fill this defect?
>>
File: 20240726_132236-01.jpg (2.56 MB, 4032x3024)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
>>2829294
Pic
>>
>>2829289
>>2829292
It's called a mortise lock.
They're still being manufactured.
If you can't cobble a diy spring, buy a new one.
>>
>>2829294
>>2829295
pick out loose stuff and fill with epoxy
>>
>>2829220
That's what I'm doing, but if I just slightly change my hand pressure, the cut's gonna be not 100% straight.
>>
>>2829289
>>2829292
I found replacement assemblies but I'd like to buy the springs if possible, I have like 4 doors that the springs are broke and wouldn't be a problem to buy an assorted pack of springs (they seem to have different mechanisms and different size/shape springs). Apparently this is called a mortise lock and I am looking for flat springs?
>>
>>2829300
buy spring material and make your own
>>
>>2829296
ah I was 5 seconds too late to seeing this lol ty anon!
are there not spring kits or something? I got several doors that are like this and I'd rather buy a $20 spring kit if it exists instead of $20 a door
>>
>>2829302
Measure the width and thickness of a broken spring.
Purchase spring steel that matches the dimensions.
Cut to correct length and bend to proper form.
Install in lock.
>>
>>2829298
Sorry, I've never used epoxy on wood. Do you mean epoxy putty or that clear liquid stuff sold in double-barrel syringes? Does it matter what brand I use?
>>
>>2829305
>Do you mean epoxy putty or that clear liquid stuff sold in double-barrel syringes?
yes

>Does it matter what brand I use?
no - you can choose a color instead of clear if desired
>>
>>2829304
ah just found the material on ebay and you already answered my questions. ty anon!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.