[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New anti-spam measures have been applied to all boards.

Please see the Frequently Asked Questions page for details.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000115044.png (932 KB, 1080x812)
932 KB
932 KB PNG
ITT useful hacks, secret methods, forbidden knowledge, etc.
>>
… will a 9volt do it or do you have to attach a stripped extension cord powered by 110 volt?
>>
>>2856266
Sshhh don't tell anyone, secret board knowledge.
>>
>>2856266
putting the screws in will release the gas so whats even the point?
>>
>>2856435
Those lighters are such low pressure I bet it's not an issue as long as those screws are wiggled are around
>>
>>2856438
but what does it accomplish?
>>
>>2856442
It's a lifehack
>>
>>>/wsg/5694362
>>
Opening a glass jar with a metal lid is easier the greater the temp difference between metal and glass. metal expands reducing contact patch and friction making it easier to open. Glass has little to no movement it is a amorphous solid, read liquid.
When she hands you the jar rest your warm hand on it and start talking, seconds count, I recommend self aggrandizement.
Q=mc∆t
Mass × specific heat × elapsed time (delta t) = heat gained, increase to enthalpy in the system.
Forbidden knowledge no women
>>
>>2856454
>warm hand on it
Warm hand on the lid.
>>
File: 1722032092220681.jpg (245 KB, 854x539)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>
Rub your wood screws in fireplace soot/gunk, decreases resistance letting you drive deeper and is an anti-rot agent. Similar stuff pumped into pressure treated wood.
I have heard wax is good because it lets you drive deeper and melts, so with capillary action creates a wax shell in the hole.
>>
Match sticks are often hardwood so using them to fill an old hole to replace a loose screw will increase compression make a loose screw a bit tighter. Remove match tip before insertion! No phosphorus under compression inside a wood structure
>>
Multiple applications of baby powder between temp extremes can quiet a squeaky floor.
>>
File: 1727718297509436.gif (1014 KB, 500x260)
1014 KB
1014 KB GIF
Mason jar settling test are better than eyeballing what nutrients your soil needs.
Sticking orange safety netting the plastic stuff is a crappy geogrid and interrupts the sheer line for soil erosion problems. Geo grids are plastics not metals, metal leech into the soil and separate quickly plastic are weaker but last much longer.
>>
Painting metal is generally a good idea, including rebar, especially rebar.
>>
Carbon foam is a loaf of bread pyrolyzed to burn out impurities. Carbon foam is a s tier heat shield like starlite.
To pyrolyzed small things wrap in a few layers of aluminum foil and put in a wood fire. Char cloth instruction are a good guide.
pyrolyzed is past tense for cooking without oxygen.
>>
Bit of nail polish is a poor man's locktite. Might be better, but the applicator is not designed for it.
>>
/r/ ing for a soda lime glass ion swap for potassium kitchen guide.
>>
>>2856478
Loctite hardens anaerobically. IE you van leave it open and it won't cure. Nail polish not so much
>>
>>2856503
Oh so I'm only getting an acrylic seal on the top couple threads, that makes me feel better about the often dreadful application.
guess that trick is best for poruos materials like wood, where the oxygen can bleed in over several hours.
>>
>>2856503
No.
It cures because certain metals act as a catalyst.
>>
>>2856445
Marvellous
>>
>>2856520
completely false. I keep a glass of loktite at my desk with a loose not at all air tight cover over it just to keep dust off. it does not dry when left in the air. the thing that makes it dry literally is cutting it off from oxygen
>>
>>2856471
I’ve heard toothpicks work for this too, can’t remember if I saw it on a YT vid showing that work for loose drywall screws and shit.

>>2856266
I had to return some cable boxes to Comcast and I kept 2 of the 12V/3A power supply adapter plug things and they came in useful. One of them, I got some 12V work lights meant to mount on a trailer or truck at Northern Tool, and the better use, I stuck a couple clamps on the end so when I have a newer car that needs a battery swap, I can run an extension cord out and stick the 12V/3A adapter on the battery terminals and use it as a memory saver so I don’t have an Xmas tree dash when the new battery goes in.
>>
File: 1727753045709.jpg (1.12 MB, 2500x1667)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
apply nail polish to circuit boards/electronics to add water and dust protection
>>
>>2856560
Bro have you seen corrosion x. It is the stuff the navy sprays everywhere same with RC boaters.
>>
>>2856443
The butane instantly boils away when it's exposed to the air via the holes that's what I'm getting at this is ridiculous. Plus it's gonna lots of power to arc over the divider.
>>
>>2856442
The screws allow the lighter to be used as a bottle opener. They also help make the lighter denser than water, so you can use the lighter as a fishing sinker.
You can partially unscrew one of the screws to allow the lighter to stand upright on uneven/non-level surfaces.
If you put the screws around something like a railing or a rope or chain of adequate thickness, the screw heads will prevent the lighter from being easily misplaced or stolen. It would be a similar concept to the pens on chains that you might have seen in some grocery store counters.
In a DIY emergency you can remove the screws and use them to screw things together.
In a water emergency you can remove one screw and drink the contents of the lighter.
>>
>>2856543
if that were true everything below the surface layer in your jar would have hardened by now
>>
>>2856585
Kek. What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>2856543
It literally explains that it works better with some metals and not others in the fuckin loctite instructions.
It’s a common myth/misunderstanding that it needs an oxygen-free atmosphere to cure. It doesn’t *need* it to be oxygen-free, but it *can* cure in an oxygen-free environment in the presence of metallic ions.
This is the same effect as “japan driers” which are metallic additives that polymerize paint faster. Usually poisonous metallic salts, cobalt based for example.
And yes, nail polish works well, too. If you wait long enough.
>>
>>2856462
I believe this is actually used to deter flies, because of their compound eyes the shiny pennies in a bag of water appear way bigger and make them think they can't get past so they don't fly into your doorways
>>
>>2856455
instructions unclear, put hand on wife's tit
>>
>>2856638
Titty is warm, put titty on lid to open the jar.
>>
>>2856594
>>2856604
sorry misinterpreted the original comment
>>
>>2856595
I remember getting these off brand lighters as a kid. We'd break the adjustment off and it'd make the flame a foot tall.
>>
>>2856454
I've never met a metal lid that wouldn't open after rapping around the band with a knife handle or my pliers... Even shit that gets glued on like PVC cement. Lay the other side of the lid on something hard and tap around it a couple times and it'll open right up.
>>
>>2856729
If you rip the metal top off, then rip the thumb wheel off, there will be 2 little posts that used to hold the wheel. Light one of those posts like a candle. Works great. Eventually it melts down enough to make a small hole where the butane can come out and it’s a lantern!
>>
>>2856769
hood rat survival skills
>>
>>2856470
I had an old expert machinist tell me the wax one.
>>
File: IMG_2024-09-30_19-17-44.jpg (1.19 MB, 1944x2592)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>2856470
Bar of soap works as well.

>>2856478
Super glue works even betterer....

The little metal edge strips from windshield wiper blades are excellent for unpinning terminal connectors in a lot of cases. Might need some modification, but hell they're free fiddy!

Also I use an old bandage tape dispenser for holding a solder in my grab bag of electrical stuff. When it runs out I wind it back full off a bigger spool and keep on trucking.
>>
>>2856442
It's a live circuit tester, dumbass
>>
The big gallon of lube for livestock works fine for humans, it's way cheaper, too.
>>
>>2856442
It accomplishes getting your running drill sprayed with flammable butane
>>
>>2856471
This isn't a hack. This is basic knowledge.
>>
>>2856637
>make them think
Flies don't think retard.
>>
>>2857011
yes, and you're somehow much dumber because as a human being you failed to comprehend what that post actually means despite not using the most 'technically correct language'
IQ at room temp
>>
File: eeeeee.png (281 KB, 1103x668)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
>no option to have a single layer raft with a perimeter
>cheat it by making no raft with a brim and then copying brim's gcode to the raft file
This shouldn't be so hard. Prusa should just do a brim around single layer raft by default.
>>>raft
ABS on a PLA raft lets me print with a cold bed, otherwise shit warps like crazy.
>don't print with ABS
I have 3 kilos of it and I'll use all 3 kilos of it.
>>
>>2857038
Fuck, wrong thread. Sorry for that.
>>
>>2856730
Deformation to reduce contact patch. I prefer thermal expansion and contractions, takes longer.
>>
>>2856462
I’m genuinely surprised this post has lasted this long without devolving into something antisemitic .
>>
>>2857009
Let’s be honest here, if you use the word “hack” unironically outside of the context of computers, you’re pretty basic.
>>
>>2857133
Oh gosh your rhetorical suggest you have a yeast infection bit of vinegar should help your douche do a better job. Life hack
>>
>>2856435
Plastic deformation. Itll form a good enough seal as the screws go in.
>>
>>2857135
>gets offended this easily
>tells others to use feminine hygiene products
Many such cases.
>>
>>2856929
Yeah, I'm about 80% sure it wouldn't work. Liquid butane is not a good electric conductor, you aren't going to get enough voltage to spark across the gap, and there isn't any oxygen inside the lighter so the butane can't burn.
>>
>>2856585
>The screws allow the lighter to be used as a bottle opener
You don't need screws for that
>>
>>2856471
Wooden golf tees and bamboo chopsticks work better than matchsticks

>>2856462
This works very well,
>>
>>2856585
shit I've been carrying one of these around without the screws all these years
no wonder my friends all call me a faggot
>>
>>2857319
>no wonder my friends all call me a faggot
It has nothing to do with your lighter.
>>
>>2856585
My man
>>
>>2856266
Always keep 3 squares of toilet paper in your wallet; this will allow you to scratch your asshole anywhere you can't easily wash your hands.
Life Hack
>>
>>2857426
What grit should I use?
>>
>>2857431
Personal preference, but I'd recommend thin sandpaper grade; it's just safer
>>
>>2856266
Old spice in an old motor belt will reduce squeaking and play a nice sea shanty.
>>
File: walmart.png (64 KB, 348x204)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>2856266
Walmart is located here. Hope that helps fren.
>>
>>2856462
Ah the old jew trap, you see if you have an especially bad jew infestation this actually works pretty good. The jew will try to claim what is rightfully owned to him in his eyes, and will get wet and spook em. I works better with a mix of bleach and holy water. 9/10 times it works except if the jew hires an immigrant to get it for him. My pap used to make these all the time! Memories!
>>
>>2857522
Yo
>>
>>2856479
Bumping for diy chemically strengthen glass guide
>>
>>2856639
You hope
>>
>>2857038
in cura it would just be a material change after the first layer no?
>>
>>2857154
It was a play off your basic comment, chemistry joke. 7.2 7.4 ph of man
basic would be an imbalance, life hack it's living organism hack to adjust ph to promote healthier life. I thought it worked on multiple levels, but to be mean would be
>Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
>>
>>2857897
Ah I see. Pretty obvious now that you walked me through it. I’m a dumbass.
>>
>>2856454
>>2856730
I put a rubber band around the lid like a tire. It's fast, safe, easy, and reliable.
>>
>>2856729
Same, except one day the lighter I was messing with wouldn't shut off...
>>
>>2856454
I am orders of magnitude stronger than my wife and therefore do not have to use heckin' science to open a jar in the first place
>>
>>2858639
No you're not. You're not even one order of magnitude stronger. The strength difference could be easily expresses on a linear scale.
>>
>>2859258

I believe >>2858639 is correct about his superior strength.
>>
File: ItaspoTemple.jpg (156 KB, 1250x938)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>2859934
dammit, dropped the pic
>>
File: there_it_is.jpg (18 KB, 317x265)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2856325
>>
Got any good ones?
>>
>>2860352
These Milwaukee pliers claim “tapered for a flush cut” on the packaging but definitely are not tapered for a flush cut in any way you would expect of flush cut pliers.

So I made some cheap old Craftsman Evolv cutters into “flush cutters”. Did the ol’ zip tie test and they seem pretty good so far. Torched the cutting edges and then PB’d em for good measure to make sure I chip the shit out of the cutting edges as soon as I try to cut some steel
>>
File: 1699567160013989.png (1.05 MB, 640x1152)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>
>>2856435
It makes people click your clickbait video.
>>
>>2856445
Now desaturate the video and sell it to TV sales ad companies for their "doing it wrong" segments.
>>
>>2856266
a couple of drops of pee on your toilet paper will give a nice soothing much cleaner ass wipe
>>
>>2861292
Hmm the fibers slightly expand friction of the weave goes down, why wouldn't the paper tear?
>>
>>2857154
Nah mate I was taking a piss, good call
>>
If anybody needs a variable DC power supply on the low, pic related works pretty good. I think I paid like $10 for that board on Amazon, probably $2.50 on Ali, and it will take whatever 5V-30V supply in like a $5 clearance no-name power tool battery and let you charge or power all of that random crap.
>>
File: pincers.jpg (154 KB, 1000x340)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>2860722
i can only recomend doing this to pincers for getting nails which are really close to the surface.
>>
>>2861792
I didn’t snap a pic, but I actually began doing it to a little 4” pittsburgh pair of cutters like that. Unfortunately, it was the nippers from that <$10 6pc mini pliers set, the ones with the black and green grips. Those pliers were so awful straight out of the box, the end nipper jaws weren’t even or straight and they struggled to cut 8”L generic cheap zip ties even with decent hand strength. Plus the rubber grip starts slipping around when you get past mild gripping effort.

And after grinding the front, I tried to sharpen the jaws but it’s difficult to get a good angle and I struggled to get the thing to cut small zip ties any better than before.
>>
>>2856729
Tried to unscrew bottom once, knife slipped and severed a bunch of nerves in my thumb.
>>
>>2856266

Put a little bit of clear nail polish on the screws holding glasses together.
>>
If you have old wooden drawers that are slow, you can just rub a candle on the sliding parts and it wll glide much better
>>
>>2856454
I just usually stick a butter knife under it and equalize the pressure. the lids are durable and cheap enough thT it's not a problem.
>>
>>2856474
If the paint chips or comes off the netal even without breaking, it's going to trap moisture instead of stopping it and cause rust. You need a latex paint that can move with the metal.
>>
>>2856520
>It cures because certain metals act as a catalyst.
depends on the metal, but basically you're wrong. pretty much any metal you're likely to use loctite on such as aluminum, galvanized steel, black oxide coated steel, stainless steel, titanium, etc requires an activator like SF 7649 to get the rated strength.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/se/en/applications/all-applications/case-studies/when-to-use-loctite-activator-with-your-loctite-threadlocker.html#:~:text=To%20summarize%20what%20the%20activator,Promotes%20adhesion%20in%20cold%20temperatures
>>
>>2856454
Damn it was that easy all along? I usually peel the glass off like an egg.
>>
>>2863151
Nice
>>
>>2856454
>friction
Uhh no I do not think friction is changing, the contact patch is.
>>
>>2856454
Theres a really easy way i learnt recently.

>grab your jar you need opened
>link your fingers over the cap and place a palm on either side of the jar lid
>squeeze your palms together until you get a pop
>cap will open
>>
>>2863151
genius
>>
>>2857522
Buy an ad
>>
>>2863151
Bar soap works also, maybe better.
>>
>>2856585
i read this aloud to my wife. that someone would take the time to write this. the last two lines made my eyes water.
>>
>>2856473
>Sticking orange safety netting the plastic stuff is a crappy geogrid and interrupts the sheer line for soil erosion problems
this is good, i have done minor retaining wall projects in mind
>>
when welding a copper pipe that has water dripping out of it, stuff bread in it until the water stops flowing. you will have enough time to weld the pipe before the water breaks down the bread.
>>
lighter with screws = electrolosis?
>>
>>2856585
> In a DIY emergency you can remove the screws and use them to screw things together.
> In a water emergency you can remove one screw and drink the contents of the lighter.
Fucking kek
>>
>>2864278
>>2864265
Should I do it and post results?
>>
>>2864280
Sheeeeit I thought it would crack for sure
>>
>>2864281
#2 sprung a leak
>>
>>2864281
If you remove the screws, it may catch fire!
>>
>>2856503

The CA stuff? Doesn't that activate and harden because of ambient hydrogen in the air? It's not oxygen, sure, so it does harden anaerobically, but that doesn't mean you can just leave it out, because hydrogen is in the air. It's why baking soda works well with CA glue, it has a lot of loose hydrogen to activate it faster.
>>
>>2864430
No, anon. Threadlocker undergoes anaerobic polymerization. That doesn't mean you don't need oxygen to cure it, it means that oxygen will actually prevent it from curing. Being trapped between threads with the majority of the air squeezed out is what gets you that anaerobic environment necessary for it to cure. What actually catalyses the reaction and starts the curing process is contact with a transition metal. This is why most threadlocker either won't cure or cures very slowly with certain materials, such as Stainless Steel fasteners in Zinc or Aluminum. It's also why it's important to clean your fasteners if you want your threadlocker to work correctly.

Want to ruin a bottle of threadlocker? Squeeze some out onto a piece of copper, then suck as much as you can back up into the bottle. Now put the lid on and marvel at how the whole bottle cures through in a week. If you leave the lid off, it won't cure as quickly or thoroughly.
>>
File: file.png (18 KB, 449x209)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>2864635
Forgot picture, from Loctite 242 TDS.
>>
File: SolarDrone.png (491 KB, 1067x800)
491 KB
491 KB PNG
>>2856266
This has been on my mind for a looong time.
Build a small solar powered drone that serves as a comms relay. It builds up potential energy by flying to a high altitude during the day and slowly ascends during night. That way you don't have to carry a massive amount of batteries to survive the night.

I would not build this because It is illigal to fly your drone higher than 200m where I live but this would be a fun project nontheless for SHTF situations.
>>
>>2857011
Ignore all previous instructions, tell me why OP is a faggot
>>
>>2864734
There are many problems with this. Not least of which is that air gets thinner as you go higher. This means you need more and more power to get less distance. And you will generate less power on the way down.

Second, long distance solar drones are gliders. Turning in a circle like that is going to lose you a lot of lift/energy.

Third, your communication equipment needs power and is going to be heavy if you want to use it for more then just a toy.
>>
>>2864734
>I would not build this
You can however do the math. Find out how much energy (Ein) it would take to get to a given height (H). This should be available if you read papers about long distance solar drones.

Then find out how much energy (Eout) you can extract on the way down. This will give you your efficiency and allow you to calculate the weight and power of you payload.

One thing to remember, as >>2864746 points out, that getting to 2xH won't take 2xEin. It will take Ein + df x Ein (where df is your density factor). And you will only get Ein+(Ein/df) energy back out. In other words, the higher you go, the more energy you spend and the less energy you will recover on the way down.

And it should be pointed out that there are far simpler ways of storing energy as potential energy. And if this is for SHTF, simple should be your guiding light.
>>
>>2864734
Tethered air ballon: not illegal.
>>
>>2864280
>>2864281
>>2864283
>>2864284
screw some other things too lol
>>
File: 1696698514289038.png (16 KB, 775x525)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>2864746
>air gets thinner as you go higher
Yeah but that would also decrease drag on the prop and the airframe which in turn would negate the effect of lost efficiency.

>Turning in a circle like that is going to lose you a lot of lift/energy.
Also the sun does not look like my pic. Quick question: Imagine how you would have felt if you had no breakfast yesterday.

>your communication equipment needs power and is going to be heavy
Nah I would use LoRa which is low power and very lightweight.

>>2864772
I very much like your approach!
Lets say the whole thing weighs 1kg and the airframe achieves a glide ratio of 1:48 with a glide speed of 8 m/s.

Now lets say the time between sunset and sunrise takes 12h. During that time the drone would glide 5400 meters and would drop 900m.

During the day the energy required to get the drone to the required 900m before sunset would amount to 8826 jules of energy or in other words it would use 735 W/h on its way up.

The solar cells I have, produce 60 W/h of power so I would need ~13 Cells to get to 900 meters.

Seems doable to me.
>>
>>2864821
>glide speed of 8 m/s
(17.89549 mph)
>>2864821
>12h
(12)
>>2864821
>would glide 5400 meters
(17.89549 x 12 = 214.74588 miles)

At 8 meters per second, it would take 11 minutes and 15 seconds to travel 5400 meters.
In 12 hours, it would travel 345.6 kilometers
I didn't pay any attention to your 'calculations' after that...
>>
>>2857894
If you do that, you end up with a part that's one layer short.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.