[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Ez-bar-preacher-curl-1.png (125 KB, 580x431)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
Hi /fit/,

beginner here. This isn't specifically about preacher curls, the question applies to many similar exercises, but I'll use them as an example. I am careful to lower it to complete extension, then I curl the bar up, as I understand loading the muscles under maximum extension is important. But I was wondering - am I supposed to keep constant tension for the entire set, by not raising the bar all the way up? Because once it is completely vertical, there's zero tension on the bicep, until I lower it again.

Best regards,
Anon.
>>
>>75124714
Yeah there are some exercises that have more or less tension at different parts of the movement. Because of the "long length partial" mini-revolution we now know we want either constant tension throughout the whole movement or max tension at the stretched portion, like in a preacher curl. A preacher curl is basically a long-length partial.

In other words it makes no difference if you lift the bar up all the way or not because there isn't any tension at the top of the movement anyway, which is fine
>>
>>75124714
Constant tension is overrated, that said there's value in getting it up there, but no need to hold it up since there's no tension there. Just do slow negatives and a brief hold at whaterever's the lowest point that you take it tokdmpt
>>
>>75124771
>>75124792

Gotcha. Thanks guys!
>>
File: Length Tension curve.jpg (228 KB, 800x748)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
Don't lower it all the way. Stop short of extension.
>constant tension
No. That's physiologically and physically impossible. The tension in a muscle should vary throughout the range of motion. BTW, active tension is what you're concerned with when weight training, not passive tension and active tension will vary through the range of motion due to changes in actin/myocin contact throughout the range of motion. Maximizing passive tension is what leads to injuries. Ideally you want to avoid positions where it is maximized as that's what leads to muscle tears.

Also, avoid preacher curls unless you know what you're doing. Biceps are strongest around the middle of the range of motion. BTW, standing curls fit the bicep's length tension curve more than preacher curls.

Ignore people like this guy
>>75124771
who have fallen for shitty memes that will end up getting you avoidable tendon and joint injuries. In fact, lengthened partials don't do jack shit for most muscle groups, especially not the biceps.
>https://themusclephd.com/range-of-motion-and-growth/
The research showing training the muscle when it is near its longer length is exclusive to certain muscle groups like the quads and do not apply universally in spite of what fads have been floating throughout the fitness industry. Moreover, there is no evidence that it makes a difference in the long term.
>>
File: Mad-Max-2-1469502346.jpg (897 KB, 1400x2000)
897 KB
897 KB JPG
>>75124714
>am I supposed to keep constant tension for the entire set, by not raising the bar all the way up?
it depends a little on how the resistance changes in your exercise, which depends on if you use free weights / cables / machines, and with free weights on joint angles and shit like that. preacher curls are the hardest when your forearms are about parallel to the floor. the higher you get the easier it gets. there just aint much happenining by going all the way up, because nothing much is happening. you can however go up all the way to rest for a second to the end of your set to try get an extra rep in, that can be pretty effective.
three more little things: try having your upper arms at a flatter angle, makes it harder but in a good way; try supinating your forearms while curling up, as in: try rotating your pinky up; of course you wont be able to as your hands are fixed on your bar, but its a good form clue to use biceps more, too many people on ez bars pull mainly through their pointer, basically hammer curl it with their brachialis, and wonder why biceps aint coming; and absolutely try overcoming isometrics at the end of each set for a couple of weeks, as in: if you get stuck on your final rep for the set, still try to pull through it with all you got, even if the weight isnt moving at all, this will build strength exactly in your sticking point and help a lot with progress in the long run
>>
>>75125015
>try supinating your forearms while curling up
I have been trying to do just that, because I see and feel it targeting my biceps the most. Appreciate the advice.
>absolutely try overcoming isometrics at the end of each set for a couple of weeks
The very last rep of the last set yesterday the bar was 100% stuck midway, and I had to cheat by scooting my butt forwards and it let me change the angle that way. Totally cheating, but it was that or just giving in.

I've only been working out for 2 months, but I am fully convinced my upper arms have changed already. Maybe others can't see it, but I can both feel it and see it. I've been seriously packing in protein in my diet and worked out 4 days a week. I'm an oldfag, and I've never trained with weights before... very surprised how quickly my body has responded.
>>
I honestly don't think it matters much. I've found that bringing the bar all the way up and then bringing it down as slowly as possible (10+ sec) gives me the craziest pumps. But this is all bro science desu.
>>
>>75125375
>because I see and feel it targeting my biceps the most
the joint angles you can best flex a muscle in are usually also the joint angles you can work it best. biceps attaches to the "bottom" forearm bone, brachilalis to the "top" one. thats why hammer curls dont hit biceps all that much. and why supinating makes you use biceps more. brachialis is stronger so it tries to steal the work away from biceps. focusing on suppination / pulling the bar apart / pulling through your pinkies have worked best for me. straight bars for curls naturally force you to do that anyways, but are tougher on your ellbow. ez bar with the clue seems best for me. dbs with the clue dont work as well bc there is no resistance to the suppination bc they are balanced. rope attachment on cables works really well for that though, but personally i dont like cable curls much for different reasons.
>The very last rep of the last set yesterday the bar was 100% stuck midway
this is what going to failure is supposed to be like. failure means absolutely unable to complete a clean rep. not practical on each exercise. but important to get close to. no real point in intensitiy techniques before you get a good feel for what failure is.
>Totally cheating, but it was that or just giving in.
there's cheating to make it easier, and theres cheating to make it harder. you cheated to make it harder. thats the good way to cheat.
>but I am fully convinced my upper arms have changed already
it likely has
>Maybe others can't see it
if they ever bothered to look at them before, they probably can
>very surprised how quickly my body has responded.
goes fast at first, slows down after some time but then theres still a lot ahead of you. imo focus on the journey more than the results and you will end up with more of both

if your goal is big arms dont neglect your tris, dont neglect your rear delt, and do your reverse curls
>>
>>75124714
Not a true preacher bench.
Picrel is 45 degrees. A real preacher bench is 90 degrees.
This is a waste of fucking time. Just raise the back of an adjustable bench and lean your arm over that. This thing is pointless.
>>
>>75124714
Those fucked up my elbows and gave me horrific elbow joint pain for about a year. These are fucking stupid. You need to externally rotate your arms outward or curls are an elbow connective tissue exercise. Preacher curls also smoosh your elbows into the table, absolutely shit tier lift that causes injury.
>>
>>75124714
>I understand loading the muscles under maximum extension is important
Science based lifting is so shit, do you think the gym bros of the early 2000's didn't develop biceps or were only 80% of their potential?
Also having your arm so far out with big weights is asking for injury, the bicep tear videos are not surprisingly mostly done on preacher curls with that 45 degree angle
>>
>>75126917
Skill issue
>>
>>75124714
Comtinuous tension is not necessary for growth
>>
>>75126917
ur doing them too heavy
>>
>>75126479
>thats why hammer curls dont hit biceps all that much. and why supinating makes you use biceps more.
hey, what if i just supinate in external shoulder rotation and elbow flexed to acute angle - would it turn off brachialis? would it isolate short head of biceps
>u can't supinate against resistance
just tie belt on a plate retard
>what for
so that u wrap your hand in the belt so that it pronates your forearm unwinding
>focusing on suppination / pulling the bar apart / pulling through your pinkies
>have worked best for me
that's adduction of jumerus retard not supination
>this is what going to failure is supposed to be like. failure means absolutely unable to complete a clean rep
>bar was 100% stuck midway
that's failed rep bot of idiotic movement, which muscle failed?
>the one i worked on
which one was it ?
>i do not know
maybe tendon failed not muscle?
>might be
it's crtain, u pretend to be retarded bot when it suits u
>thats the good way to cheat
yeah just get it up however - that will "work" xD
>goes fast at first, slows down after some time but then theres still a lot ahead of you
bs, once u find isolation muscle forms within 2 weeks to month, that's like no more than 5 sessions, closer to 3-4 really - makes u a very calm man that u knoe u can "get it back" so fast whatever it is that u're after
>reverse curls
yes bot, but only to 90 degree in elbow, above that biceps takes over and it's over - elbow tendon fucked and u get no biceps, because workout was useless and u're now injured
>>
>>75126479
>>75122831
biceps bot, the thread u run away from
>>
>>75126479
and time under tension bot, another thread u run away from as soon as i asked few innocent questions:
https://boards.4chan.org/fit/thread/75122447/why-is-everyone-saying-that-time-under-tension#bottom at the bottom of it
>>75124823
>No. That's physiologically and physically impossible. The tension in a muscle should vary throughout the range of motion. BTW, active tension is what you're concerned with when weight training, not passive tension and active tension will vary through the range of motion due to changes in actin/myocin contact throughout the range of motion. Maximizing passive tension is what leads to injuries. Ideally you want to avoid positions where it is maximized as that's what leads to muscle tears.
constant tension in the sense that muscle is working entire durration of set bot, u can't get constant tension in the sense u are describing even in static hold lol, u're talking about some made up un the fly shit that has no relevance to anything whatsoever

yes time under tension is the most important thing for muscle hypertrophy but:
>>75124460
>u can't begin about talking about time under tension without isolating the muscle (head) in question
>and u can't isolate muscle until it's muscle fibers aren't straight between atachment points
constant means unbroken here bot, it means that "reps" are one long effort where u never lose tension on muscle belly, muscle belly with muscle fibers straight between attachment points so that it can ACTUALLY work (if fibers not straight muscle is sputtering - no TUT to speak of), and muscle belly that is isolated in static hold so that there is no risk of "completing" the rep without doing anything
>>
There's starting to be a consensus formed that regular standing curls of any description aren't as good and people are spending more time doing preacher curls or incline curls or something similar, (or what I just said but with her hammer grip or reverse grip).
Having done both for a time, I think I'd have to give it to incline curls. Preacher curls might be slightly harder at the bottom but at the same time there's no stretch like there is on an incline curl, & I think that the exercise which is hardest in the middle but has a good stretch is a little bit more productive for hypertrophy than the exercise which is hardest at the bottom but which doesn't give a good stretch at the bottom.
>>
>>75126917
lower ur weight. low weight high reps gives same muscle growth than high weight low reps. the research shows this despite popular opinion: https://mennohenselmans.com/optimal-program-design/

"An abundance of subsequent research has confirmed that a given volume of low and high rep work are equally effective for muscle growth. "
>>
For long term fasters (4+ days), how often do you find yourself doing this? Yearly? Monthly?
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (17 KB, 480x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Lots of fucking nerds here.
>>75124714
Look breh, you'll have tension in your ceps curling till failure. The beginning reps will be clean enough to eat off of and those last few reps are gonna be nasty, three days raving in the desert no shower nasty. Quit thinking about lifting the weights and just LIFT THE FUCKING WEIGHTS! Yeah, see ya in church.
>when in doubt, rep it out

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.