[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fallout.png (2.48 MB, 1344x760)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB PNG
>GNU/Linux questions >>>/g/fglt
>Windows questions >>>/g/fwt
>PC building >>>/g/pcbg
>Programming questions >>>/g/dpt
>Good, cheap laptops >>>/g/tpg
>Cheap electronics >>>/g/csg
>Server questions >>>/g/hsg
>Buying headphones >>>/g/hpg
>Best /g/ archive: https://iqfy.com/tech/
>Best way to build a media collection: >>>/g/ptg

How to find/activate any version of Windows?
https://rentry.org/installwindows

Previous thread: >>100158359
>>
Does anybody know how to solve this?

https://github.com/vichan-devel/vichan/discussions/719
>>
¿whats a good place to order cheap SD cards that are NOT a scam? ¿are used SD cards good? i just need like, 2 or 3 that are 8 GB or bigger
>>
File: 1712042954907553.jpg (465 KB, 1651x1971)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
I have a bunch of songs that I pirated. A few of them have their volume set too low and some don't have their album cover. How can I set the volume for each song to be a certain volume (dictated by a certain song--setting it at a certain db level would probably be more useful), and how can I go about having each song have their proper album cover? MusicBee works pretty well (3/4 of the time) for updating the album cover on it's own, and there's even a way to edit each album and choose a specific image for its album cover, but I don't think you can set it to play at a certain volume by default (outside of the music player as well). Also, where would I go to get a good image of the album?
>>
>>100197763
Never buy used flesh memory devices.
>>
File: gamerheadset.jpg (135 KB, 519x537)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>100197893
i sure as hell wont buy used flesh
>>
so i set up a family member with Pop_OS! and they elected to lock the hard drive. somehow they forgot the password to it the very next day. how do i go about wiping it? i can’t even access the bios, it boots right to harddisk security.
>>
>>100197830
look into normalization
>>
>>100198000
just format it on another pc
>>
>>100198012
how do i do that? do i have to literally take out the hard drive? i’m not good with hardware unfortunately so if so they’ll have to take it somewhere
>>
>>100198022
how did you manage to set up pop os without knowing this?

yes, you have to physically remove the drive. you can buy an enclosure on amazon for like 10 bucks or less.

revert them back to osx or windows if youre gonna be this unhelpful next time they hit a minor roadblock.
>>
>>100197725
Is declarative package management a meme? I've been thinking of putting nix bare metal onto my pc otherwise I'd just do arch. They both seem fine short term from what I've done in a VM.
>>
File: 1679892425412567.webm (2.87 MB, 350x622)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
can "fast" or "super fast" USB chargers damage a device that requires 5v 350ma?
>>
>>100198038
i mean doing stuff with hardware is a little different from installing an OS off a USB drive. but thank you
>>
>>100198000
You know that to access bios you have to enter a key (which varies by manfacturer; could be esc, f2, f12, etc) right after powering on the computer, right? I don't know anything about pop os, but as far as I know, nothing os related will ever prevent accessing bios. Your computer shouldnt even be looking at your hard drive yet when you're at the point where you can access bios
>>
Will more RAM increase my laptop's performance if I'm not running out of RAM to begin with?
>>
>https://github.com/notracking/hosts-blocklists
>"This repository has been archived by the owner on Aug 8, 2023. It is now read-only."
I "just want to ad block", where am I supposed to grab my blocklists now?
Also a Linux question: can systemd-resolved take any kind of host block lists? (systemd-resolved contains a caching name server)
>>
>>100198181
No, any USB socket out there sits at 5 volts unless the voltage is specifically negotiated with the connected device.
>350ma
Again no problem, even the world's first USB was specs'd at 500.
>>
File: 1690936127442791.webm (1.45 MB, 480x848)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB WEBM
>>100198464
Thanks for the information. I'm misremembering this, but I thought I heard that a device's battery can be damaged by having it be charged by the wrong type of usb charger. Does that make sense in any capacity? My device doesn't have a battery so I'm not worried, especially now with your answer. I'm just curious.
>>
>>100198579
To my understanding, charging with too weak of a charger while the device is in use can damage the battery, i.e. using a phone charger for a laptop while the laptop is turned on
>>
>>100198327
it can if you go out of your way to do stuff, like make a RAM disk and put cache or programs on it. but if you do literally nothing but add more RAM then no
>>
>>100198623
That makes sense. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
>>
>>100198579
>device's battery can be damaged by having it be charged by the wrong type of usb charger
>wrong type of usb charger
Take the "usb" out of that sentence.
>Does that make sense in any capacity? My device doesn't have a battery so I'm not worried, especially now with your answer. I'm just curious.
Now you are just applying car mechanic logic and thinking lead acid starter batteries and dumb chargers used to charge them. Right?
An USB socket and a lithium ion cell have loads and loads of crap and logic and shit between them. It's not a car battery you hooked up directly to a car battery charger.
(yes, lithium ion requires loads of TECH to prevent those cells from exploding)
>>
What do Gentoo and Slackware users do when they want software? There is no handholding with these distros, there's always installers for windows, macOS, Debian, RedHat, Arch, but never Slackware or Gentoo (for example). Do they have to compile everything? That would imply that they always need the source code in order to run any program. Plz help.
>>
File: file.png (18 KB, 443x372)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
my ISP leaves TONS of open shit on their locked-down router that ar impossible to disable. How can i somehow lock this down for security?

idk what most of these do besides ftp, telnet and http
>>
>>100198693
dont use the ISP provided router, obviously
>>
File: 1714187969199119_.jpg (59 KB, 480x848)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>100198579
>if only you knew how bad things really are
>>
>>100198693
>How can i somehow lock this down for security?
Are you afraid of having malicious devices in your local net?
>idk what most of these do besides ftp, telnet and http
53 for DNS, you need this.
80, 443 for the web console. 443 is HTTPS.
139, 445 for file and printer sharing.
>>
>>100198673
You seem to be referring to external software, can you give any hard examples?
>Do they have to compile everything?
If it's open source it's likely available for everything out there.
>That would imply that they always need the source code in order to run any program
Again: can you give an example?
There are numerous (hacky) ways of extracting binaries out of those closed source packages and usually someone already did that.
>>
>>100198623
>>100198645
It just fries the charger desu. Batteries are very happy with slower charge.
>>
>>100199022
Ok lets say they want to install pisscord. There's an installer for windows, debian, macOS, and RedHat. That's it.
>>
File: package.png (58 KB, 1024x1024)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>100199074
>Discord has a package in the official Gentoo repository and it is the recommended way of installing Discord:
emerge --ask net-im/discord

Someone already did the whole extracting process and packaged it all conveniently. idk about Slackware.
>>
>>100199074
>>100198673
We Slackers use slackbuilds.org
For discord the link would be:
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/network/discord/
You download the source pkg and the slackbuild script, reconfigure as needed, run the script and compile the package. Then you install it with pkginstall.

Then you need to hunt down and download all the dependencies because they are not included. But it's quite easy and fast once you get the hang of it. In the case of Discord there are no additional dependencies needed, since the slackbuilds readme doesn't mention any.
>>
>>100199137
>build scripts
>doesn't handle dependencies
Slackware is essentially a Linux From Scratch huh?
>>
>>100199137
>You download the source pkg and the slackbuild script, reconfigure as needed, run the script and compile the package. Then you install it with pkginstall. Then you need to hunt down and download all the dependencies because they are not included.
>>
>>100199181
Kind of, yeah. You get a running, complete system with the iso install and then it's up to you to do the rest.
>>
why does everyone want a pip boy? they literally all have smartphones
>>
File: uwhwguwhu.webm (1.55 MB, 720x860)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB WEBM
hi basically i got an altec lansing mzx5500, is the sound quality good?? i haven't opened them yet i'll test them later but i wanna know what do you think
>>
File: bmzdu.jpg (77 KB, 604x446)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>100199184
Scheme that makes sense for an offline Linux computer. Although it already seemed like a meme back in 1999 when I was picking my first Linux distribution. pic unrelated
>>
>>100199302
It's about having control over your system, you get to pick which dependencies to install, for instance I didn't want to install all the java crap that was needed to use LibreOffice draw since I wasn't planning on using it, just needed the Excel and Writer, so I excluded Draw and its dependencies from my LibreOffice install, it still runs great. Compiling your own stuff also means its optimized for your system as well as your needs.

I gotta say Gentoo with its USE flags and Portage is more efficient at it though. But I don't like the bleeding edge aspect.
>>
>>100199347
>Gentoo
>bleeding edge
The stable branch has ancient package versions.
>>
>>100199363
I know, but in practice you end up having a mix-and-match of bleeding edge and stable on Gentoo. Eventually one package or its dependencies will need the ~amd64 package.accept_keywords flag. Even if you manage to stick to stable only, the updates are pretty fast-paced.

Slack is more old fashioned, maybe innefficient, but it gives you more control. I like that there is choice in the Linux environment.
>>
>>100199403
>mix-and-match of bleeding edge and stable on Gentoo
That's what the compiling was for. You can have whatever software matched against whatever libraries.
>>
File: file.png (8 KB, 452x204)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>100198984
>Are you afraid of having malicious devices in your local net?
anyone in my ip range can see my ports and be pretty much in my "local net"
i know because i can see theirs too. this is fucked
>>
>>100199447
>anyone in my ip range can see my ports and be pretty much in my "local net"
Huh? That's your private net bro, go to https://canyouseeme.org or something if you want to port scan your router from the outside.
>>
>MX master 3s has been on sale for $60 for the past 3 days now
>Just bought one
They’re releasing the Master 4 in September aren’t they? Knowing my luck, I made the wrong move of buying one instead of waiting for the new one.
>>
>>100199479
i know the difference between LAN IP and WAN IP
i did a scan of all people who share my WAN IP, say 80.80.80.*

their ssh, http, ftp, is all open
>canyouseeme
yeah, im fine on there. Im not fine with my IP neighbors tho
>>
>>100199422
I know, maybe I'm not being clear, my problem is that Gentoo's bleeding edge is too bleeding edge, whereas the stable branch sometimes is too far behind. In practice you end up mixing and matching both, not because you want to, but because you need to.

Found it much easier to do "stable but not ancient, nor bleeding edge" on slack.
>>
File: 6hrfbinf0r171.jpg (265 KB, 1079x1077)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
been daily driving cinnamon for a few days now, (i'm a windowsfag) besides some issues with pulse audio i haven't gotten the opportunity to tinker with much. i can play games, listen to music, watch anime, etc just fine, i know there's more to learn but i just don't do much else with my time. what can i do to expand my knowledge? things i can learn just for the fuck of it. what about building a server? maybe learning other distros? i'm kind of at a loss. any advice welcomed
>>
>>100197725
Hello brethren, I installed arch but I apparently cant into configuring dns translation
/etc/resolv.conf looks like this
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 9.9.9.9
nameserver 64.6.64.6

nsswitch.conf looks like this
#things
hosts mymachines resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] files myhostname dns

Can someone explain whats wrong? From what I understand when firefox syscalls gethostbyaddr() the kernel should be reading resolv.conf and contacting those dns providers... do I have a firmware problem? Nothing is showing up on dmesg
>>
>>100197907
Based, I also only fuck virgins.
>>
>>100198000
remove the CMOS battery and bios settings will go poof
after that its a piece if cake
>>
>>100198327
the only way more ram would increase performance is if you were using a swap
get a better processor
>>
>>100199619
Do you have picrel configured? It bypasses all system settings completely.
>>
>>100198673
arch is just gentoo but you arent forced to compile everything and can just install binaries, on arch you can also compile things and on gentoo you can always just compile a package manager
just use whatever, Linux is Linux
>>
>>100199682
I hate firefox so much it's unreal
>>
>>100199184
lol i remember compiling gimp in like 4 hours and then not even using it because the UI is dogshit
>>
>>100199682
its disabled but the issue is there with ping too
>>
>>100199716
>>100199682
>>100199619
The idea came to mind to do
ping 1.1.1.1 #hardcoded couldflare

and i am getting "network is unreachable"
>>
>>100199761
>network is unreachable
No default gateway configured. Why did you start diagnosing DNS issues?
>>
strace ping 9.9.9.9

>its opening library binaries, mmapping them and loading them into memory manually
>it uses mmap with address math instead of just allocating more pages at the start
i mean who fucking wrote this thing?
>>
File: IMG_0945[1].jpg (2.07 MB, 4032x3024)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
My pc boots straight to the bios, the M2 drive in the second slot with my OS on it says "ROM Mode" as its status. google led me to this very old reddit post with no responses, seems to be the same issue i'm having
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/nxzgjo/samsung_pm830_sata_ssd_showing_up_as_rom_mode/

what is going on? any help?
>>
>>100199816
your OS does those you stupid idiot try another program and you'll see the same things
>>
>>100199797
i was getting "error in dns translation" until i tried hardcoding an ip (i should have done that sooner)
Running "ip route" prints nothing, problem diagnised successfully.

Thank you Anon.
>>
>>100199841
damn, Linux runtime linking is kind of garbage
>>
>>100199830
i dont have a bios machine on hand but if you can find the bootloadee options tab you may find out that you have no runnable bootloaders and the default behaviour was to log you into the bios system instead of displaying an error om the console
>>
where do you go to watch videos of people getting shot now? i know liveleak is gone Im trying to find this one video but google is cucking me by only listing news websites instead of gore ones
>>
>>100199878
>>100199830
>no runnable bootloaders
what does that mean?
rebooting about 100 times fixed it, but i'm treating this as the final time i'm going to be able to log into this drive unless i can find an explanation
>>
File: bullshit.png (35 KB, 380x563)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Request time out issues and massive dropped packets, ranging from 20-40% dropped packets according to packetlosstest.com. I get gigabit speeds, but can't play any online game or work from home since the connection constantly drops.

I've got a computer with a MSI MPG Z690 CARBON (downstairs) and another with a Asus TUF GAMING Z790 (upstairs). The downstairs computer is hooked into a Netgear GS110MX switch, which is hooked into my Arris G34 / Arris G36 / Xfinity Xfi XB8. The upstairs computer has request time out and packet loss issues as well, so I know it's not the computers. The modem/router is plugged into a coax running along my basement wall (15-20ft of coax cable) that goes to a coax port to my crawlspace. That coax goes from my crawlspace to the Xfinity box, maybe 10-15 feet.

I had a tech out here a few months ago who told me they detected no issue.
The tech I had out last month told me it could be signal quality, so he installed a signal downgrader or some shit on the line to "help reduce noise".
My modems do not have QOS / Smart Queue Management / Active Queue Management as far as I can tell with the Xfinity Xfi XB8.

I've tried different coax cables, ethernet cables, and a wifi card I got from BestBuy, and still have the issue.
I've disabled ipV6 with no results.
I've changed DNS settings and ipconfig release renew.

Comcast won't send another tech out because no other customers in my area are complaining of the issue, and I'm not giving them $99 to come out when I've bought 3 routers and nothing has helped.

What the fuck can I do?
Thanks
>>
>>100199617
learn basic terminal commands first
>>
>>100200000
>>
>>100199968
buy them from fellow passive aggressive incels
internet is a normie thing now, we don't allow that kind of shit anymore
>>
Silent air circulator recommendations? I currently have a Vornado Duo. It's suppose to be effective for a small room, but I can't really feel much and it's kinda loud.
>>
>have a USB with GParted on it installed via Rufus
>want to try it out if it still works
>secure boot blocks it
>(re)research a bit how to disable it because it's been a while I did any legit IT stuff
>ok, but want to use clonezilla tho
>format the USB, put the zip files in
>boot doesn't detect the Toshiba USB
>...
>just put any USB-related stuff in the top priority
>nothing, boots to Windows as normal
>use Rufus to install the iso
>still nothing

I possibly fucked up something by formatting the damn thing. How to unfuck it?
>>
>>100200326
Well, nevermind. Legacy mode detected it and I launched clonezilla.
Now time to figure out how the darn thing works.
>>
>>100200014
I will just define things
>the efi/bios
the main (this is enough for our purposes) processor is programmed to always run code at a specific address when it starts up, that address is the first referenceable address and it is the start of the efi system's code
the efi system has some drivers, it goes and tells the disk firmware "hey faggot write the efi system partition to this zone in ram", the disk processor does just that (it takes a while and thats why booting takes a while). The efi system then scans for bootloaders (probably looks at filenames but idk i havent written one they might have something in the body of the files but i doubt that) and displays them on the menu, you choose one and the efi system will pass control to it
>what the bootloader does
it has a hardcoded path to the kernel in a hardcoded partition
it tells the disk firmware "hey faggot give me the address of this partition"
and it probavly loads chunks of addresses at a time into memory to get to the kernel executable's address instead of loading the entire partition
it finds the kernel
reads the arguments in the kernel image's boot header, it loads the kernel where it wants to be loaded and sets up registers how the kernel wnats them, it then passes control to it and there is that

so the efi system is not the bootloader, getting to the efi system doesnt mean you have a working system
>rebooting 100 times fixed it
>final time i will be able to log into this drive
run fsck, i don't really know why the efi system would fail to read from the esp but fsck might tell you something
>>
>>100197756
does devtools give you any info? either in the console or network tab?
>>
>>100200405
Ok. I think I did it. Proportional cloning gave me two normal partitions, EFI and recovery partition. Everything seems to be okay. Now gotta find time to mess around with the screws and swap the hard drives.
>>
>>100199619 here
Basically I didnt have a dhcp client and didnt have an IP address, I learn a bit about routing. Shit werkz now
>>
I have a private mail server that is running on a LAMP stack and the webmail client is roundcube. Roundcube is throwing me an error for stmp because it doesn't seem to be able to use two domains on one server even though it's all configured right. IMAP works fine, SMTP just doesn't and it seems I'm entirely alone with this issue. The google results from 2009 ain't helping me, and GPT4 doesn't have any valuable input.
>>
Bypassing KYC, i dont seem to find relevant info on the web, wat do?
>>
>>100199347
>you get to pick which dependencies to install
This, and everything you mentioned after it, is still possible with Debian's packaged LibreOffice. Installing takes 15 seconds also.
>>
>>100199841
>stupid idiot
Ahem...

>>100199863
>anon gets initiated in the wonderful world of dynamic linking
>>
>>100200027
Try a different provider.
This is a good test tool: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat
You are testing only on wired connection, not WiFi, right?
Also, that whole Arris/Arris/Xfinity is one device or a chain of three?
Ideally, you want your test setup to look like this: computer -> modem -> outside world. No routers or switches of any kind, because those can introduce their own problems, ESPECIALLY Arris garbage.
>>
Are there any phones I can buy that are cheap but aren't shit? My phone plan is ending soon and I was thinking of switching to a cheap plan like mint mobile or something. But it seems like phone choice is so limited these days, you either have massively expensive premium options like for 1000+ dollars or a piece of shit phone that isn't even worth the 300 price tag its asking for.

What should I do?
>>
>>100201754

Thankfully I do have that option, will probably switch to Verizon anyway since I am on Comcast. Verizon in my area uses Fiber and offer gigabit download/upload whereas Comcast only offers gigabit download and 20 Mbps upload. No clue why I went with Comcast in the first place 2 years ago. Switching to Verizon here in 2 weeks but this issue has been bugging me for almost a year so wanted to figure it out before I switch.

Yeh I tried that tool last night, which is why I was looking for QOS / Smart Queue Management / Active Queue Management settings; I do think my problems stem from bufferbloat.

Testing both wired and wireless, both give the same results. Computer downstairs is wired, computer upstairs is wireless with WiFi 6 iirc

Arris/Arris/Xfinity - one device at a time. I've got each device (G34, G36, and the XFi XB8, that I have each tested individually with the same result. I do have an Asus router I use for VPN connections but that's been unplugged for the last few weeks while I investigate this issue so it's not the cause.

I have tested that as well, computer->modem->outside world with the same results. I use a switch since I've got some NAS's and other shit on my network that I need to directly see and the modemrouter combo's only have 4 eth ports.
>>
>>100201811
Mint Mobile is good, IF you're not in rural hellscape. Since it runs off of T-Mo towers, it works great in the city, but go out in the boonies or a concrete building and you're fucked. My wife works in a hospital and her service is spotty at best. I live near Richmond VA and only lose service if I go 1.5ish hours away and even then it's for maybe a few minutes until I hit a tower near a town/city.
A Pixel 7a is like $350, I've been in the Jewgle family for years without any issues and you can easily root and degoogle the phone.
>>
>>100197725
Is there a linux distro that has no package dependencies among each other? If one package requires libssl it will have it's own instead of sharing with other packages.
>>
File: over.jpg (97 KB, 800x630)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>100197725
Hello Saars.

i am on a prowl to find my next storage solution.
currently i own two spinning rust drives both 4TiB
both of them have been going for some time ~5 years. i am scared shitless of the day one of them fails.
should i still buy spinning rust in the future or get a big ssd and be done with it. they should fail less than hard drives no'?

even if i get a gigant TiB drive i have no idea what FS or how to maintain it. I don't own a dataserver. the drives are plugged into my desktop pc and i dualboot. is ntfs a good choice snince it can be accessed on both windows and linux?
is this raid thing good for ssds too or should i only use it on hard drives? i don't think my drives support raid is lvm a goood substitute? all this drive striping and mirroring sounds bad for the ssd
>>
>>100197725
I bought a used microsoft optical mouse 1016. When I move it quickly it goes backwards and behaves weirdly
>>
>>100202420
flip your display upside down.
>>
I think my PSU is dying, had this cheap CORSAIR 4.5 years.
That's normal life span right for low end PSU?
>>
>>100199849
>i was getting "error in dns translation"
Programs are random about these things. Some web browsers even print a
>"lol I can't into interweb pages"
when there's any imaginable network error.
But yeah sure, not having internet connectivity also translates to not having DNS.
>>
>>100201948
the snowflake one, if you say its name you are confirmed shilling
just look up "snowflake linux"
>>
>>100199617
>what about building a server?
Install any piece of server software and there, your 'puter's a server now.
>maybe learning other distros?
When speaking of basic binary distributions, there's not that much more to learn. OK maybe Arch is the far out end of these 'basic binary distributions'.
There are special kind of systems like NixOS and Gentoo but other than that it's all so similar.
>i'm kind of at a loss. any advice welcomed
If you want to start tinkering, start by learning the boot process of your hardware. I imagine you are using a regular x86 PC with UEFI boot mode.
You can for example stick with your current system and build a custom kernel for it. Then boot it manually - outside of your distribution's "way of doing things" - and there, you got yourself some universal Linux knowledge.
>>
I'm trying to record audio with audacity, system audio, but the volume is very low and amplifying it introduces noise to unusable levels.

Fuck?
>>
>>100200772
Laptop fixed up, hard drive swapped/ Everything works just as used to.
I would like to thank anon who recommended Clonezilla.
>>
>>100198637
>>100199660
Thanks friends, removing RAM from the to buy list then
>>
File: 1713001537523796.jpg (82 KB, 850x850)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Why do people use usenet? specifically why pay for it? does it actually have content that cant be found on torrentimg websites because i swear theres almost never been a time where i couldn't find something i wanted
>>
>>100201663
But Debian has systemd
>>
>>100203314
Your image got my attention.
My old ISP provided access to it for free. I found it useful enough because you'd always be able to get max speed without worrying about peers. Even with private trackers it would often get things sooner.
Not a big enough difference that I would actually pay for it though, that's why I no longer have it.
>>
>>100198443
https://filterlists.com/
>>
File: dilemma.png (96 KB, 1373x381)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
The thing I need to use it for actually came out quite well in the Topaz demo (other than subtly shifting the colors in such a way that I can't composite out the watermark), so it's fine for my purposes. The problem is there aren't any trustworthy sources for the crack.

I only have one project I need to use it for, so I'd rather not expose myself, but if I'm going for long term use, I'd rather use FOSS. No one seems to care that much about upscaling though.
>>
File: screenshot.png (4 KB, 1365x23)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>100200749
this
>>
>>100203382
And this is great!
>>
any tips on organizing all your electronics? im a bit of a hoarder. How do you organize your mini USB, micro USB and type C USB cables for instance? do you put each in separate boxes?
>>
I bought a new computer and was trying to transfer files from the old using a pendrive I bought and I suspect it was a very stupid idea because it's extremely slow.
Would buying a an external usb ssd be a good idea? It seems like can work at much better speeds, from 120MBps to 400MBps even for the cheaper ones, while the pendrive is working at 1-2MBps.
Asking in case I'm missing something
>>
>>100204745
Take the drive from the old computer, hook it to the new one. Optionally put it back when you're done copying everything you want.
>>
>upgrade from 2700X to 5800X3D
>re-enable SAM in BIOS
>re-enable secure boot
>SAM not available in windows
clearly i've got some edge case conflict but i have no idea what it is because i haven't done anything else with this BIOS profile aside from set the DOCP memory profile
>>
How do I change the icons in Peazip? The default icon is a big green pea. It comes with a bunch of different ones in the icons folder, and the readme says "replacing the ico and icl files in this folder changes PeaZip system icons". Great, but how do I replace them? Renaming didn't seem to work and I'm not sure what to replace the icl file with.
>>
>>100204906
>do absolutely nothing
>"Your hardware settings have changed. Please restart etc"
>restart
>SAM enabled
i fucking hate Windows 10
>>
>>100204922
>The default icon is a big green pea.
Whats the problem?
>>
I've started using tmux
today I decided to rice it up a bit and put a status bar at the bottom with hostname and whatnot
the problem is when I ssh into another machine using my same configs tmux adds a second status bar for the remote machine above the one I'm sitting at
I've read other people had this issue but tried all the solutions I found and none fixed it
any ideas
>>
I started playing "Super Mario Bros. Wonder" on my phone using yuzu for Android, and while I'm not surprised that my phone's battery was drained from playing the game, if I continue to play the game this way, will it damage my phone's battery in the long run?
>>
>>100206053
More charge cycles = faster battery deterioration. It isn't damage per se, just regular wear and tear.
>>
>>100206098
But that'd mean faster and more regular wear and tear than if I wasn't playing the game on my phone, right? The game runs decently well on my phone, and I kind of don't mind keeping on playing it, but I'd rather not if doing so will significantly shorten my phone's overall battery life.
>>
File: rippy the razor.jpg (32 KB, 288x339)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
What type of things should I be looking for in a donor board? I just fried my PCB in my HDD and looking to replace some fucked components.
>>
>>100202532
well this is inspiring
>>
File: 1702791646959678.jpg (1.7 MB, 1920x1080)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
How do I make a 4chan-like site with Java?
Spring boot + ¿_____?
What do I use? Thymeleaf? FreeMaker? JSPs?
>>
>>100205197
I don't like peaness.
>>
>>100197725
a decent antivirus?
>>
What do you do when the only documentation for something is esl forum posts?
>>
i've heard bitcoin isn't a private form of money transfer and monero is generally regarded as the most private, can someone explain if that's true and if so why that is?
>>
>>100207468
>>
File: 1693490722705047.png (3 KB, 351x25)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>100204341
>>100197756
>>100200749
already find out, in the terminal it was as ''/b.ph'' so i renamed like "b.php" and it worked, kek.
>>
>>100207308
>What OS?
>What use case?
>How many deployed systems?
>Is central management a factor?
If these are too hard for you to answer, kindly stick to Windows Defender on default settings.
>>
>>100207608
>windows 10
>I dunno what I did but I didn't put those cmd on startup
>my laptop
>no?
>>
>>100207502
Because the Bitcoin blockchain is a public ledger so anyone can see what address sent what amount of BTC to what address.
Monero does not have a public ledger.
Go to the Monero general on >>>/biz/ if you want to know more about how Monero protects users' identities/privacy.
>>
>>100207840
I haven't used windows in over a decade but back when I still used that shit, Avira was pretty good if I recall correctly.
>>
>>100204745
Basically what other anon said, but to expand: You remove the hard drive or solid state drive from the old computer, then get what is basically a case+cable that it plugs into, then you can just plug it into a usb port of your new computer.
If you have a USB3 flash drive and your computers have USB3 ports and you have a few hundred GB of data or less, the flash drive option is reasonable too, might just have to let it run overnight, and remember to right click and "eject" or "safely remove" your flash drive before actually unplugging it, because otherwise your data transfer might not actually be complete even if it says its complete
>>
File: 1709908514714553.webm (3.44 MB, 480x848)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB WEBM
>>100197725
Is there a way to automatically boot into a specific drive with a single button? From both powered off and powered on
Would a macropad be able to do this?
>>
Is there a future in free and open source software? What will the state of it be in 50 or 60 years? Complete adoption or hanging on life's thread?
>>
>>100207992
>webm
what the FUCK is that
>>
File: usbi.jpg (571 KB, 3335x1108)
571 KB
571 KB JPG
My usb 3.2 gen 1 type c cable doesn't fit into my motherboard's usb 3.2 gen 1 type c port. What gives? Are there any easy solutions to this? It's the only 3.2 port with type c on my gigabyte b550 gaming x v2 motherboard. I remember usb being easy to use. "Universal" is right there in the name.
>>
>>100208538
If it's not clear in the pic, the cable connector is far too small for the usb port.
>>
>>100208006
Copyright law could be very different in 50 to 60 years. That said, I don't see either FOSS or proprietary software going anywhere without something revolutionary happening in the field.
>>
>Download Jewtube video not using yt-dlp because I'm too retarded to use it
>Downloads
>Play it
>Skip forward to make sure it's alright
>Video freezes but the timeline keeps moving
>Have to watch the entire thing in real time without the ability to skip forwards or back

Is there some kind of /g/ thing I can do here to fix this piece of shit? It's happened in the past with videos too and I don't know what causes it.
>>
>>100208671
Its literally just yt-dlp and then the url.
>>
>>100208748
Yeah but I'm too retarded to know how to change the quality. I'll end up with 240p shit.
>>
>>100208797
It defaults to the best quality. Stop making excuses and wasting peoples time
>>
>>100208079
bees iirc
please answer >>100207992
>>
Which site do i go to if i want to contact someone to crack a software?
>>
>>100208928
Why bother You'll have to pay them Anyway
>>
>>100208823
>It defaults to the best quality
Why did it download as 720p when the best quality is 1440p?
>>
>>100209041
Because i rather pay Russians or chinks than give any other cent to Romanian scammers for a temporal software license that is $500+ for a software i use 2-3 times per month so poor people can save $15-30.
>>
>>100207308
consider these detections. I wrote a simple keylogger with nothing but stdlib and windows api calls. All of them should detect it but the result is disappointing.
>>
>>100208928
what software?
>>
>>100209208
NLBA1 Laptop Battery Analyzer.
https://www.laptopu.ro/download/
>>
>>100209230
you do understand that for someone to crack a piece of software to bypass an undesirable obstacle you must have a functional version of that software (unless that software "trial" is packaged with paid features), which means I need a full version of that software to patch it. I am not willing to pay for it, you could but then again doesn't that solve your problem already?

also why would anyone use/ pay the "battery analyzer"?
>>
>>100209085
because it's a coin miner and you're not mining enough
>>
>>100209281
>also why would anyone use/ pay the "battery analyzer"?
For the unlocking feature, most modern laptop batteries get locked up for the most retarded reasons and will refuse to charge, after you unlock them they will work normally.
Technically you can unlock them with a CP2112 USB and maybe a EV2400 but it takes around 20 minutes while with the software it takes 1-2 minutes tops.

>>100209085
Because you are probably missing ffmpeg.
>>
Why is it that my pc works normally, but I can't restart it? Whenever I try to restart, it gets stuck in booting and the mainboard LEDs turn on. Already tried out: Disabling fast startup, BIOS update, different PSU, different SSD, clean installing Windows.
>>
>>100209386
>unlocking a battery on a laptop

brother you have bigger problems than the lack of software if you have to unlock the battery on your machine
>>
>>100209558
I have a PC repair store, most laptop batteries are made with huge amount of planned obsolescence checks.
One cell 0.05v lower than others? battery will lock up, Happens often to HT03XL because HP uses the lowest quality cells possible, sometimes just manually balancing the sells is enough to revive the battery.
Battery voltage 0.5v lower than what it should be? Laptops will refuse to charge it, can be charged with a bench PSU though, common problem, if ignored for a while the battery will lock up permanently.
Laptop charger ID missing in a high end laptop? Battery locks up and blows fuse because "Fuck you" with love -Dell
Laptop charging the battery at a slow rate? Battery locks up.

Acer and HP have the worst batteries ever, Lenovo and MSI ones are surprisingly good, dell is hit or miss.
>>
File: batterysoftware.jpg (265 KB, 1920x1200)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>100209558
>>100209386
>>100209281
>>100209230
>>100209208
>>100208928
the software launches (if this is the right software, given the relevancy of the archives hosted on the site I would consider it relevant to your need). What exactly do you need patched here? I don't have laptops that need "battery unlocking" and I don't run proprietary tools that would patch my UEFI/BIOS in any way. What do you do that needs patching, screenshot or perhaps an explanation?
>>
>>100209530
Could be multiple things:
Windows power profile could be fucked up, the easiest way is to test another install, dont want to install? just make a Linux USB and try to restart.
Motherboard failure, capacitor failing, ITE chip failure, etc.
>>
File: 1713804725700160.jpg (155 KB, 500x500)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
I have 2x8gb of ddr4 ram. i bought 2 more sticks of a different brand but one of them is junk. can I use 3 sticks or will that not work?
>>
>>100209657
In the reset tab (SMBus tab since you haven't connected a device like a legit/chinese EV2300, EV2400 or the proprietary charger they sell) it will give you a option to unlock batteries, the license they sell enables that option.
>>
What is the cheapest way to get a phone number from a specific country (in Europe)? Can't be a throwaway public number, I need a number only for me. I don't need to call nobody from there, just receive SMS and maybe get calls.
>>
does Best Buy's extended warranty still cover burn-in on OLEDs?
>>
Looking for a good 55" 4k TV for my office. Mainly to stream shit from my Plex, YouTube, Rumble etc so it doesn't take up a monitor. May do some light console gaming on it.

Was considering the LG OLED C3 since it's hit such deep discounts but burn in still makes me nervous. I know that Hisense just released a U8N but it's f'ing Hisense...

What else is good and would serve the best bang for buck? Last time I bought my 2 sets Vizio was top of the game and that's not true anymore.
>>
How do I download discord on my ssd?
>>
>>100209708
It will work but it's far from optimal. You will only see an improvement in performance by adding the third if you're running out or hitting your ceiling without it.
>>
Lads
My monitor won't pick up my computer input thing
I tried all HDMI ports
All display ports
Nothing
It's a brand new GPU and it was built by my friend so what isn't it working
>>
>>100212584
the GPU isnt seated right, or cables probably arent plugged in right
make sure all the ports in the gpu that are for the psu are filled in
might be your bios because of the iGPU
>>
>>100212703
I'm unironically women brained
My friend tested it with a monitor so can you dumb this down
>>
>>100212703
Also the GPU has colours on so it must be ok?
>>
>>100212721
Most likely
Maybe not enough cables are plugged into the GPU from the PSU or it isnt seated properly
Google iGPU and bios with your "GPU not displaying" search
>>
>>100212703
Oh I tried plugging into the motherboard HDMI and no luck
>>
Will mac os work okay with a second 1600x1200 monitor?
>>
>>100197725
I'm a filthy rentoid, together with my bro, and the wifi in the apartment has gone to utter shit over the last month or two, although it's always been dodgy.
The network is shared across us in one unit, the landlord (And presumably his wife) in another unit, and a guy (and presumed gf) in another unit.
The router's in the landlord's unit, which means we can't restart it when it craps out to see if that works. He's also an incompetent cheapo.
ISP's website says coverage is fine, with no hiccups.
Issue persists across different devices.

Is it possible that the router is old, busted and/or can't support the bandwidth consumption, or that there are too many people on the network? 4-6 about, on what I assume to be a lower-end connection (speedtest gives ~25mbps or less usually)
Further regarding Speedtest, when I test the network the relevant server moves wildly across an area sometimes 1000+ miles across, which makes me question just what is going on with the ISP.

I just want to be able to use the network I pay extra for without losing connection for hours at a time.
>>
>Used the same computer for several years
>Used the same browser for several years
>Lived in the same house for several years
>Had the same ISP for several years
>Had the same fucking IP address for several years
>Sign into website I've signed into for several years
>Oops you seem to be signing in from somewhere new! We'll send a code to your email address that's a fucking dogshit provider that just accepts emails when it feels like it!

Is there a specific name for this retardation?
>>
>>100212806
Ram maybe? Are they seated in slots 2 and 4?
Either that or the cpu isnt seated right
>>
>>100213167
so you share a single router/access point with neighbors?
sounds like a directional antenna would be a great idea to me

>Is it possible that the router is old
yes

>busted
unlikely

>can't support the bandwidth consumption
yes

get yourself a nice wifi dongle that allows changing the antenna, get a directional antenna, and aim it at the access point
>>
Any mechanical engineers here?
I'm planning on designing a small computer case with sheet metal. I want it to be small but have a full sized mATX motherboard, ATX PSU and a 2 slot 240mm GPU
How hard will it be? I have designed a few electronics enclosures for 3D printing but nothing sheet metal ever. I'm using FreeCAD if that matters
>>
>>100213365
>get yourself a nice wifi dongle that allows changing the antenna, get a directional antenna, and aim it at the access point

Something like a wifi extender or nah?
>>
Does anyone have any ideas on how to automatically reboot/shutdown a linux system after inactivity instead of hibernate or suspend? The end goal that I want is for my laptop to re-encrypt itself after a certain amount of time instead of going into hibernate or similar and I figured probably the simplest approach would just be to reboot, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm on Debian 12 if that makes a difference.
>>
>>100213429
NTA, but assuming you want good performance, negative ghost rider. Wifi extenders are pretty much always a no go. Wifi extenders are always the cheap solution to your problem. Get a good WiFi card that you can unscrew the antenna that came with it and install an actual directional antenna pointed directly at the AP as possible. WiFi extenders are typically ass. I've never met one I liked.
>>
>>100213429
not saying get this exact one, but something like this.
>>
>>100213255
Someone from somewhere else tried to log in using your login name therefore making your IP the "new one".
>>
>>100213429
>>100213859
or turn any Wi-Fi box into a client
>>
>>100213167
Buy an ASUS router, the more expensive the better.
Set it as wireless AP mode.

>We cant restart it
Go to the router IP adress, the password is probably the default one.
Click reset.
>>
>>100213429
You are looking for AP routers, Wifi extenders rape signal quality for devices around them so they usually make the problem worse and shit themselves when multiples devices are connected to them.
>>
>>100200231
A ceiling fan.
>>
Since kuroba-dev is probably never getting fixed, what's the least bad option?
>>
just wanted to ask if TempleOS just a meme OS or it's something you guys use regularly?
>>
>>100214092
Its a shitpost OS.
>>
>>100208538
That's meant to connect to your case's front panel USB-C port. It uses a different connector because reasons. You can most likely get an adapter.
>>
>>100213551
>>
>>100210219
Get a friend to buy it for you and pop it into one if their old phones.

>>100212153
The C3, or even C2 55". Burn in is not an issue if you don't always watch the same TV channel.

>>100212213
The same way you'd download it to your HDD.
>>
>>100212813
It should, unless it's a Macbook Air.

>>100213167
You'll just have to convince them to do something.
Maybe speak with the other tenants, see if they have similar issues and can support you.

>>100213424
There is a >>>/diy/ board, try there.

>>100214061
There isn't one. It's sad that cheese refuses to even accept merge requests.
>>
Theres a wave of vandalism towards cars in my town.

Whats a decent dashcam that could pick up the faces of those responsible ?
>>
File: c2cbbee485dcde6e.jpg (52 KB, 720x720)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
How do I automate newest kernels from kernel.org?
>automate a git pull
Works but I want the latest STABLE, not a random build.
>script that takes a version number, extracts the archive on the fly, takes the current config and builds it.
It's all so tiresome.
>>
File: 1714295499330.png (127 KB, 1084x637)
127 KB
127 KB PNG
>>100215800
A dashcam only films ~120 degrees in front, and maybe another 120 in the back if you buy a dual one. It doesn't pick up the sides.
Then you need a separate power adapter that prevents completely depleting the car battery (USB won't fly).
So your best bet is to have insurance and park in areas with sufficient security and surveillance.

>>100216114
Do any of these help?
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/mainline/
https://github.com/zabbly/linux
https://github.com/bkw777/mainline
>>
>>100198673
As mentioned before Gentoo has a discord ebuild. You can read it here:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/net-im/discord/discord-0.0.51.ebuild
In short, what that does is download the standard Linux tarball and do some stuff to make it conform to ebuild standards. It's literally easier than any install wizard.
>Do they have to compile everything?
>That would imply they always need the source code.
Nope, you can run a precompiled binary on Gentoo & Slackware, but the whole point of source-based distros is the freedom when building from source, so it's not commonly used. There's plenty of binary distros that someone can use if they don't want to compile. Of there's no build scripts you can make your own fairly easily or even just compile & install the program manually, most of the time it's not too hard.
>>
>>100201811
I've always been partial to LG's but they're sadly gone, Motorola's have been alright, especially since I wanted to switch to LineageOS, have an SD card and use headphones. With respect to your phone choice grumbles, I find the opposite problem, nowadays cheapo phones are good enough that a 200 dollar shitphone is still pretty solid so why would I spend more than ~300 dollars on one?
>>
>>100201948
NixOS
GuixSD/Gnu Guix
Gobo Linux
Fedora Silverblue(?)
Bedrock Linux kind of?
>>
>>100203314
It's fast as fuck, doesn't require using a VPN (If American), and it's also just neat. I use it in conjunction with torrents on my media server and while you often have to deal with dead torrents when trying to find some obscure thing, it's a lot less common with usenet. It's also pretty affordable all things considered. A minor benefit, but a lot of torrents are for full season packs, whereas usenet downloads are almost exclusively per-episode.
>>
>>100207502
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monero#Privacy
>>
>>100210219
>>100215053
If I buy a prepaid SIM card in said country, does it come with its own phone number?
>>
>>100216647
Yes, that's the whole point.

>>100207992
BeeOS
>>
Reposting here because /hpg/ weren't really helpful at all.

I snagged a Razer Barracuda wireless headset that had a hefty discount like 2 years ago, and it's been great, but there are definite signs it's going the way of the dodo after nigh-religious use.

Looking for a new wireless over/around-ear headset that hits a good mix of quality, reliability and affordability.
Trying to stay flexible on budget, but sub-$100 is where I feel comfortable.

Mostly gonna be used for gaming, chatting and a fair bit of music, plus possibly some audio work (narration, guitar). I have a stand-alone desktop mic, so no worries on that front.

Am in Norway, so shipping might be an issue.
>>
My PC occasionally halves framerates exactly in games, I'm not talking performance drops but going from exactly 60fps in vsync games to 30fps for a couple minutes.

What could cause this and how do I fix it?
>>
Is there any point in trying to fix a laptop past warranty if it won't even go to BIOS? Seems the fan isn't starting. It broke down after suffering bludgeoning damage.
>>
>>100197830
For metadata try MusicBrainz Picard, it can scan audio files and find it automatically. See "Cover Art" in its options.
For volume, try adding loudness tags to your whole collection with https://github.com/complexlogic/rsgain and then using a player that supports them. Much better than fiddling with it manually.
>>
Are there any alternatives to running Facebook messenger on my Android device? I want to sell stuff without having to check FB on a desktop client every day. My main concern is messenger acting as spyware.
>>
>>100198040
Idk about Nix, but I do declarative system configuration with Puppet on all my computers (personal and servers) and I wouldn't go back.
>easily have my desktop, laptop, and VMs configured the same way
>reinstalling is trivial
>Puppet code doubles as documentation of how my servers are configured
>its git history doubles as config change history
>>
>>100198181
No, it's fine. The fast charge modes have to be specifically requested by the receiving device, it's not like the charger just "forces" the current into it.
>>
>>100198327
Yes it can, especially on Linux. Free RAM is used as a cache for frequently accessed files. But the performance impact isn't that large, if you're never using so much RAM that you're swapping then your money would probably be better spent on a fast SSD or a better CPU.
>>
>>100198443
AFAIK, systemd-resolved respects /etc/ hosts.
>>
>>100199816
it's not doing these things manually retard
>>
What's the best option to rip CDs?
>>
>>100201861
>I have tested that as well, computer->modem->outside world with the same results.
If you've ruled out issues with WiFi, some intermediate device, or your computer, then it's probably the modem.
>>
>>100201948
NixOS and GuixSD. They do share the packages if it's the exact same version, but they can install several different versions of a library no problem.
But it sounds like you may be looking for a setup where you have a minimal base system and then install everything in Docker containers?
>>
>>100202015
ZFS RAID and mdadm RAID work just fine on SSDs. Hardware support is irrelevant, for home purposes you should use software RAID anyway.
Some SSDs may fail less often than HDDs, but you shouldn't be looking for a golden drive that will never fail. The best way to protect your data is to have multiple copies, distributed geographically, tested on a regular basis. RAID mirroring is not a back-up, it's just a solution to increase availability. You should have at least one off-line backup in case you type some stupid command that erases everything or you get hit with ransomware.
You may want to consider a set-up like a 1 TB fast SSD system drive, 10 TB data drive inside your computer, 10 TB external backup drive that you regularly update with restic or borg, and either a subscription to an online backup service or another backup drive in a different building.
>>
>>100204745
Your pendrive is crap, mine does over 100 MB/s.
Anyway, you can just use an Ethernet cable and rsync, or plug the old drive into the new computer.
>>
>>100216195
>Then you need a separate power adapter that prevents completely depleting the car battery (USB won't fly).
cant they go into low power mode and only turn on when they detect noise/movement?
what about a 360 degree cameras? are there non of those?
>>
>>100208006
>Complete adoption or hanging on life's thread?
Neither of these, unless there's a complete and radical change in computing. We'll probably just see a continuation of the trend that companies open source fundamental computing infrastructure that's incidental to their goals (compilers, interpreters, build systems, web servers, DNS resolvers, systemd improvements) but tightly guard the "special sauce" that's their main money maker (search ranking algorithms, game logic and assets, etc.) This is favored by economics - see see Carl Shapiro on "information rules" and Joel Spolsky on "commoditizing your complement".
>>
Is there a name for a metric of how responsive a mouse is in terms of the minimum movement necessary to register an input?
I have one with adjustable settings that you can swap between DPI speeds, and I find that when I want to make minute adjustments for sniping in games, it's easier to switch to the low DPI setting and make big sweeping motions with my hand than it is to try a small movement of my hand at the high DPI. When I have it on high DPI and barely move my hand, it goes from zero cursor movement to big jerky motions. I never had a fancy mouse before or paid attention to DPI, so I'm not sure what people in the know think.
>>
File: 1714311020571..jpg (149 KB, 1200x1194)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>100218669
>cant they go into low power mode and only turn on when they detect noise/movement?
That's what they do, but "turning on" requires power
>what about a 360 degree cameras? are there non of those?
No idea. Drivers usually prefer not to be recorded, they just want footage of the road in front and behind.
There are 3-channel kits that have one camera pointing inside the car, useful for taxi drivers.
>>
I've only recently got into getting CDs properly and I've got a really old (2002) Goodman's CD player I've probably never touched since the 2000s.
I think it's busted from age but all the parts are there and I like how it looks, is it worth it to fix/replace it for the 2000s sovl or are older CD players too shit sounding to bother with?
I also have literally no understanding of audio quality or sound systems and can't tell the difference between 128kbps and flac because I usually listen to songs through cheap speakers or my relatively cheap 5 year old Motorola phone.
>>
>>100209657
Off topic, but what desktop environment and shell are these?
>>
>>100218852
Just rip the audio and get yourself a pair of decent headphones
>>
>>100218150
I used to use eac
>>
>>100213551 (Me)
>>100214189
I appreciate the suggestion but I went a different direction.

I used cron to run an instance of xautolock and used xautolock to run a script that kills my browser and reboots the system. I'm killing the browser just to have no persistence across browsing sessions. If I don't cleanly kill brave, it doesn't clear my browsing data like I like and that allows the next user to click restore on my prior session and a reboot does not cleanly kill brave so I have to kill brave myself. Dropping configs below just to give anyone else who is interested the deets:

root's crontab -e:
* * * * * xautolock -time 30 -locker /etc/cron.d/reboot.sh

content of /etc/cron.d/reboot.sh:
!#/bin/bash
pkill brave;
reboot

If you prefer not kill your browser, you can just use this crontab entry without the script:
* * * * * xautolock -time 30 -locker /usr/sbin/reboot
>>
>>100218150
EAC on Windows, whipper on Linux.
>>
>>100218786
Never happened to me. Are you sure it's not some setting in your OS doing that?
>>
>>100219057
I don't think so - I just changed the higher DPI setting now to be slightly higher and the amount of hand movement I need to do to get the cursor to move has also decreased. So it probably was just a case of me needing to git gud with high DPI. There was also a setting for "report rate" which I increased, so maybe that's part of it.

That said, I think there is probably a specific term for the lower floor on the hand movement needed to register an input, since logically it seems a different thing than DPI, but I haven't seen it advertised and google is useless.
>>
>>100219170
>there is probably a specific term
It's called a "dead zone", but usually it's enabled for joysticks rather than mice.
>>
Pre-emptive I'm a dumbass, stupid, etc etc

So, I tried downloading Debian 12.5 but used the netinst rather than the full DVD, thinking it'd work. Wifi sure didn't. I don't have wpa_supplicant, iwp, the works. So, I tried downloading the full iso on a USB but I don't have another computer with admin rights (at a library). I downloaded the iso on a USB, moved it to my debian install, used dd to copy it over, and then I get "udev blocked for more than 120 seconds" and it halts during the dd command. Look that up, it's a kernel bug cuz debian's kernel is out of date or something.

So, I'm trying to update my kernel or update... anything. I learned to use my phone to USB tether, but I am unsure what more I can debug to figure out what's wrong. It seems to be working fine, but I can't ping any sites. What can I do to debug my wifi?
>>
>>100219239
>I can't ping any sites.
What error?
>>
>>100197725
Why is /g/ in general so racist and rude towards Indians? This perplexes and annoys me greatly.
>>
>>100219210
Ah, thanks, that term would probably describe what I'd be looking for if ever I were to purchase another mouse. Although it doesn't seem to be an adjustable value on my mouse, and I wonder if it commonly is on higher-end mice.
>>
>>100219312
Not as far as I know. My mouse simply doesn't have any dead zone. I can move it by a pixel if I want.
>>
>>100219256
Update, got it fixed, the default 12.5.0 seems to have a missing file in /etc/interfaces/networking, renamed that file and wifi works now. Yet, bug part 2, trying to update:
> The repository 'cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 12.5.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 NETINST with firmware 20240210-11:27] bookworm Release' does not have a Release file.
>>
How do I remove the weather, news, and stock price bullshit that pops up when I boot up Windows 11? It’s an eyesore.
>>
>>100219408
ignore me, it's fixed, just had to manually type in all the repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>>100219571
Good job, you're very persistent, though I'm not sure I understand why you didn't just use your tethering or an ethernet cable to do a netinstall.
>>
>>100219498
winget uninstall MicrosoftWindows.Client.WebExperience_cw5n1h2txyewy
>>
Is Moore’s law wrong? We should be doing super well in about ten more years right?
>>
>>100209708
>>100218867
you really need to kill yourself /pol/tard
>>
Would a deltaco blue booth controller for for lenovo duet 3 and work for emulated games/ appstore games and geoforce now?

I want to play something buy I fucking hate touch controller
>>
>>100219583
1. I didn't know it existed lol
2. When I did, it didn't work because the netinst seemed to have a broken config. I may put a bug report out to bookworm. I think the default netinst is broken, but I'll have to verify it wasn't just something I fucked up.
>>
>>100219040
eac works in wine too
>>
>>100219751
Moore's law hasn't been a thing for like 15-20 years now.
>>
>>100215053
I meant to my ssd external drive
My HDD is my main drive and it doesnt let me change where to download
>>
```C
#include <stdio.h>
int a()
{
printf("A");
return 1;
}

int b(){
printf("B");
return 2;
}

int c()
{
printf("C");
return 3;
}

int d()
{
printf("D");
return 4;
}

int main() {
int lol = (a()) + (b() + (c() + d()));
return 0;
}
```
Confused with precedence for C, why does it output ABCD when I thought it would prioritize innermost? Is it because it's a function? So does C find the innermost parenthesis, and if there are two innermost, what's the associativity? Like to left to right or right to left?
>>
test
>>
anyone know where I can find old win95/98 era games?
>>
whenever I use a video related app (like youtube and twitch) on my phone (s23 fe w/ android 14) that uses picture-in-picture, it disables the phone's auto screen shutoff function.
I cannot get it to work again without resetting, and using pip will break it all over.
Is there any way to fix this without disabling pip for those apps?
>>
File: 1554584912389.jpg (111 KB, 480x640)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>100197725
How to record gameplay off of a console?

Is it a block between the RCA cable and the TV that records and saves into a SD card?
Or is it a GPU-like device that fits into a PCIe slot, has the RCA or HDMI fed into it and displays the console onto a screen that you can record through OBS?
>>
>>100218867
>STOP NOTICING COINCIDENCES YOU SHOULDN'T BE NOTICING CHUD!
Calm down rabbi
>>
>>100220553
You use a capture card. Most of them are USB devices but there are some that have a pci-e interface.
>>
>>100220553
This is 10 year old info, but I had a device that sat inbetween the hdmi/composite connections and had a usb port to my PC (source -> capture card -> output) . I think nowadays professionals prefer to use a PCIe type card, but I would imagine they also have outputs so that you can view through a TV/monitor, not just OBS' screen.
>>
>>100197725
I fucked up again, I have no idea why I did it I knew already there's nothing to gain by updating apps on your phone.
It always makes my experience worse, now my Gboard is fucked.
The new layout is trash, all I can do is go to the first version which is even worse or stick with this shit.
Can I revert to the last update without going through hoops? Fuck google, seriously fuck them.
>>
>>100220917
I doubt jewgle would willingly allow you to revert updates. If you factory reset the phone, maybe that would revert updates? Not sure. Obviously you lose all data then. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling gboard.
And if you factory reset, if it does rever to the version your phone shipped with, then I believe it will update in chronological order, so you can just keep applying updates til you reach the one right before the one you don't like then stop. But I think that eventually jewgle force applies updates even if you have auto updates turned off, I think that happened to me before, don't remember for sure

>>100220553
>>100220604
I am interested in this too, will it capture high quality video from an xbone and not cause any lag or performance hinderance? Will it capture audio too?
>>
File: 1586518963793.jpg (70 KB, 679x665)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>100197725
pls halp /sqt/, this is something I might get
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/990-pro-pcie-4-0-nvme-ssd-4tb-mz-v9p4t0b-am/
this is my motherboard
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-x-formula-model/spec/
>1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)
Is the mobo's M.2 socket PCIe 4.0 or something else?
If I get it anyway, how cucked am I?
>>
>>100220453
only responding because this is a thread for stupid questions. you could've found these if you just searched what you asked
https://oldgamesdownload.com/browse/platform/windows/
https://archive.org/details/100_Great_Games_for_Windows95/100_Great_Games_for_Win95-Back.jpg
https://archive.org/details/win-95-games/01-CDFront.jpg
>>
File: gaminglaptop.png (13 KB, 500x300)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
Let's say I want a gaming laptop, that will be used pretty much exclusively for playing Halo (mostly Master Chief Collection). I will continue using my current laptop for everything other than gayming.
>what price range should I expect to pay?
>what specs should I look for?
>will Halo MCC run more smoothly on Linux/Proton or Windows? (I use exclusively Linux, but I would be willing to put Windows on my gayming laptop if it would make Halo run smoother; I don't know the current state of things but I assume that emulators such as Wine reduce performance of vidya, not sure if Proton circumvents that)
Thanks
>inb4 >gaming >laptop
I am away from home a lot, I need something portable, I understand laptops have inferior performance to desktops but it is logistically my only option, and when I am at home I will just use my Xbox
>>
>>100221048
Nope, I can only go between the first and last versions. Now I have to either get used to this trash or fuck around with APK's. I fucking hate google but apple isn't any better either.
>>
File: 1596342609266.png (166 KB, 320x322)
166 KB
166 KB PNG
>>100221048
Asking anon here, I'm looking at https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-HD60-External-Capture-Card/dp/B09V1KJ3J4 at the moment, seems to do the job for N64 capture after converting RCA to HDMI using stuff like https://www.amazon.com/Converter-ABLEWE-Composite-Supporting-Blue-Ray/dp/B07RX69KR8
I'll still research a bit more before I buy it first. I only need 1080p60 (4K is a meme) so it should be good enough unless there are other suggestions.
>>
>>100221160
There are mobile Linux distros. I don't give enough of a fuck about phones to have bothered trying them, but if you want to put in the effort of setting it up, I'm sure it is a far superior option to jewgle and mac. I believe one of the options if ubuntu based and yeah fuck canonical but fuck google and apple more.
>>
File: 1712714728035798.png (36 KB, 190x341)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
Any good file sharing program for windows to android?
Currently I am using KDEConnect but I really don't like how it doesn't allow me to send multiple files at the same time. It also doesn't have drag and drop system so I can only send files by right clicking -> send to KDE multiple times.
>>
>>100214061
KurobaEx
Beggars can't be choosers.
>>
File: dgn.jpg (44 KB, 576x512)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
my parents would like to get some security cameras for their house.
what is the leased pozzed kit that I can buy right now?
they are technologically inept, i have no desire to setup some local system.
>>
File: 20240428_100356.MEDIUM.jpg (541 KB, 4000x3000)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
Can someone tell me which USB this is? It's for a 2001 camera.
>>
>>100221370
usb mini b
>>
>>100221384
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming for me.
>>
>>100221299
I had a Lorex kit a while back, you don't have to connect it to the house network, you can just hook a monitor or TV up to it.
>>
>100221299 (delinked so I don't get their hopes up with a (You))
I'm in the exact same situation, so seconding this question
At a glance, it seems like there's no consumer security stuff for sale that isn't just IoT spyware
>>
>>100220434
The operators precedence only apply after the functions are evaluated, I guess?
>>
Would steamOS be faster at rendering vulkan shaders than running the flatpak version on mint?
>>
File: file.png (18 KB, 938x84)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>100197725
So my laptop has 8 gig soldered + 8 gig soDimm ram. Will I lose integrated intel Xe graphics if I upgrade my ram? Or will it still act dual channel up to 8 gigs?
>>
what are the downsides to just leaving your computer on all the time?
>>
>>100221968
rce
>>
>>100221968
electricity bill, build up of errors, potentially degrading your battery due to heat if a laptop
>>
>>100220434
Use code blocks, faggot.
>>
easy and efficient way to send music files from PC to iOS?
>>
>>100222946
iTunes and a wire
>>
>>100223004
piece of shit memephone's lightning port broke, was hoping for something wireless that doesn't involve too much hassle or logins, but i suppose that was naive given the platform
>>
>>100223051
If was it previously jailbroken and you had enabled ssh that could have been a possibility, but it's not exactly "easy"
>>
>>100197725
I just bought a renewed Seagate Exos X22 22TB from amazon and it makes a pretty louse grinding noise when starting up sometimes while being used. Ive read reviews saying that theyre loud, although im not sure if this is what they mean. I own other smaller HDDs and they do make a slight spinning noise at start up but not like this. Other than the noise, the drive works fine.

Should i be worried?

This is at start up
https://youtube.com/shorts/7MNT6xss-ZA

and this is while in use, it can be kind of hard to hear in the video.
https://youtube.com/shorts/SJxVv36uo1s
>>
>>100219261
I think it's the same reason as the constant seething about trannies and Jews. Talentless subhumans need somebody to be beneath them so that they can feel better about their own failure in life. I've noticed that the /pol/ posters here always have the most retarded technical opinions. I've also stalked some people's Reddit accounts when they've posted /pol/ stuff unprompted in non-political threads; their other visited subreddits were always the most subhuman shit imaginable: meth addiction, probation, DUI convictions, etc.
>>
>>100222946
KDE Connect
>>
>>100223830
it's unfortunate. this board has some very helpful and interesting threads, but then in others merely posting software made by an indian (e.g. kitty) derails a thread irreparably even when it's objectively fine.
people just use this place as a dumping ground to vent their frustrations about most other places online being obnoxiously political/censorial which i can understand, but then i don't care at all about the politics of the people posting here either, do i? i just want to see tech news man.
>>
>>100197725
What is the go-to 4chan app on android thesedays? Kuroba doesn’t work anymore, so I guess I need an alternative that can work with the catcha.
>>
>>100224317
Brave and a 4chan pass, you broke degenerate.
>>
File: firefox secure dns.jpg (105 KB, 676x656)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
can using secure dns slow down your browser at all? I've noticed that my ISP have started blocking certain sites, but they work when I use cloudflare dns
>>
How the fuck can 4chan tell when I'm using Incognito Mode?
>>
>>100224501
Are you local hosting?
>>
>finally wanted to build PC for the first time instead of using pre-builts
>do extensive research of what would be good for my price range
>finally get parts and install them
>it turns on
>get some debug LEDs on the motherboard
>try to troubleshoot them
>nothing works
should I just return the motherboard? I really just want this new PC to work.
>>
>>100224697
I don't know what that means. I have my computer plugged into my router. I have done nothing custom outside of that with regards to my internet setup
>>
>>100224501
Yes. DoH is retarded. Set the DNS in your router to quad9.
>>
>>100219261
indians bring it upon themselves by proving every single stereotype right, to the point of doubling down on them
>>
>>100224768
That's likely the problem. Should consider using piHole as a dhcp
>>
are there any booru downloaders that save tags too?
I want them tagged in Hydrus Network
>>
File: 1481423273498.jpg (32 KB, 375x375)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Anons, how can I logout from my Google account and also negate any way of another person seeing my History (for example by accidentally inserting some...naughty keywords at search and getting auto-results that I might not want for them to see).
>>
File: 1686857805482889.jpg (11 KB, 203x172)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
What are some Catbox/Litterbox.moe alternatives that still work? There used to be plenty back in the days, but all the ones I saved up in my bookmarks are now dead.
There has been a DNS ban in my country, and while I can access it again because I know how to get around it, I can't share pics or files through this way to some less tech savvy friends.
>>
Is it possible to privately stream straight to another computer over the internet without needing a website or anything, just peer to peer?
If so, how?
>>
>>100225350
sounds like you are now bocchi
>>
File: 1590240854769.jpg (21 KB, 343x360)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>100225374
fug, this makes me a sad panda
>>
>>100225235
In my experience hydrus' URL importer saves tags too (although I've only tried danbooru and gelbooru up to now so I don't know how it fares with other sites)
>>
>>100225428
Do you use the public tag repository too?
Just tried and I didn't get any tags saved, but I also don't have the PTR set up fully
>>
>>100220434
This is not GitHub, here you type the word "code" in square brackets.
Anyway, the order of evaluation here is undefined. Any ordering of ABCD is correct by the standard. See https://en.cppreference.com/w/c/language/eval_order
>>
File: file.png (46 KB, 394x1050)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
Arduino noob here. I never had actual arduino stuff but i believe ESP32 is basically an arduino chip made by a different company

How do i check the exact make of my ESP32-CAM chip? it just says ESP32-S on the board.

I did google it and it says I should use "esptool" on my PC, and then input certain command somewhere to get the chip info, but i have no idea how to set up that command line thing
>>
>>100221082
No, that mobo is too old for PCIe 4. You can read the chipset's specs and see that it's 3.
The drive will work totally fine because PCIe 4 is backwards compatible with 3. You'll just be limited to PCIe 3 speeds.
>>
>>100221968
Electricity bill. Not much aside from that.
>>
File: 1603736264595.jpg (27 KB, 830x548)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>100225774
>chipset
Oh I didn't expect that was the item I was supposed to be looking at. Looked through the whole spec sheet and nothing explicitly mentioned PCIe lol
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/125903/intel-z370-chipset/specifications.html
>Expansion Options
>PCI Support
>No
>PCI Express Revision
>3.0
Fugg :DD
I guess I'll just stick with what I have then (Samsung 970 EVO M.2)
Many thanks!
>>
File: 1000025264.png (23 KB, 1096x717)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
any australianons with android phones able to help with a mygov issue? trying to sign into the mygov app and it gives me picrel, can't find any info on that error code
i've tried on wifi and mobile data, no VPN, even disabling anti-trackers and whatnot in my browser. definately got the right password and security questions, and i've been able to log in to mygov's app and website previously.
>>
>>100225334
???
Are you talking about search history in a browser or what?
>>
>>100225350
files.chud.site

may or may not be a honeypot.
>>
>>100225334
incognito mode - control + shift + n
>>
Using Budgie desktop under Arch, having issues getting the "open in terminal" context menu option in Nemo to work.
 gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec 

returns 'mate-terminal' as expected, and I'm not sure what to try next.
>>
>>100224753
I had something similar but it turned out that my RAM wasn't seated properly.
>>
>>100225369
Sure. But NAT tends to cause additional complications.
>how?
Depends on what you want to stream.
>>
>>100225881
>I guess I'll just stick with what I have then (Samsung 970 EVO M.2)
If your only reason for upgrading was extra speed then yeah. If you wanted to upgrade to a larger SSD anyway, then may as well get a PCIe 4 one. There's no harm in running a PCIe 4 device at PCIe 3 speeds, and it will be more future proof when you upgrade your mobo.
>>
>>100225350
gofile? pixeldrain? uguu.se is still around but it's temp hosting.
Random others https://p.fuwafuwa.moe
https://cocaine.ninja
https://void.cat/
>>
>>100225881
>>chipset
>Oh I didn't expect that was the item I was supposed to be looking at.
Oh and by the way, there are situations in which the PCIe version supported by the CPU is higher than the one supported by the chipset. That's because some PCIe lanes can be connected directly to the CPU and others can be connected through the chipset. But I've also looked at your motherboard's specs, and it says PCIe 3 x4 too.
>>
>>100221082
>1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type
its written really weirldy but thay's a PCIe gen 3 slot, that's what they mean by Socket 3, because there is literally nothing else I could imagine that meaning
>>100225881
some PCIe lanes go directly to the CPU and some go to the chipset. usually if the chipset doesn't support a feature it's likely the board doesn't have anything with that feature, but not always. the motherboard's specsheet will tell you everything it supports, anything else is a generalization. it also helps to check the motherboard's block diagram to see what is connected to what.
>>
>>100225334
Most surefire way is to configure your browser to trash login data and history at the end of your session. Brave for sure supports this, I'd be unsurprised to learn that literally every other browser supports this. I personally just configured mine to trash all data at close. It makes it to where I need to login to any site that I need to be logged in to to use, but I use a password manager so big whoop.
>>
>>100225644
I'm afraid I've not (yet) tried the PTR myself so can't offer any advice on it
>>
File: 1597754976056.jpg (19 KB, 500x343)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>100226028
I'll consider it!
>>100226103
>>100226246
>there are situations in which the PCIe version supported by the CPU is higher than the one supported by the chipset. That's because some PCIe lanes can be connected directly to the CPU and others can be connected through the chipset.
>some PCIe lanes go directly to the CPU and some go to the chipset.
>it also helps to check the motherboard's block diagram to see what is connected to what.
I'm afraid I'm too much of a brainlet to understand how this would benefit me in this scenario. However, I would probably just get it anyway for the extra space, speed has never been an issue thankfully.

Thanks once again everybody! Hope you all have a pleasant start to the week.
>>
>>100226574
>I'm afraid I'm too much of a brainlet to understand how this would benefit me in this scenario.
In your case it makes no difference since you'll get PCIe 3 either way. But I have a slightly newer mobo and one NVMe slot on it goes directly to the CPU and is PCIe 4, the other goes through the chipset and is PCIe 3.
>>
Do you guys use a kindle? Is it worth the money?
>>
>>100222946
I'm fairly certain I've heard that airdrop from a PC to an iphone is stupid easy.
>>100223248
Still buying HDDs, huh?
>>
>>100226626
Oh that makes sense.
I thought it was it's similar to how (on my mobo) using the first M.2 slot in SATA mode disables SATA port #1 while the second M.2 slot disables SATA ports #5 and #6.
>>
>>100226631
I use an old Paperwhite from a decade ago.
No opinion about e-reader brands because I'm not up to date on which one is best. But an e-ink reader in general is absolutely worth it for me, I consider it one of the best purchases I made.
>>
File: 1000025269.jpg (34 KB, 449x682)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>100226574
what it means is if you had another motherboard using the same chipset, even though the chipset doesn't support PCIe Gen 4 it's possible that the motherboard still has a Gen 4 slot but connected directly to the CPU, which would only work if the CPU supports PCIe Gen 4

the point is while the other anon is right generally speaking in that the chipset can give you an idea of what the motherboard can do, it doesn't account for everything. The be-all end-all for a board's capabilities is it's own spec sheet, usually found more accurately in the manual and block diagram rather than the marketing material.

I can't find the block diagram for your specific board, not surprising given how shitty asus is about providing anything useful for their users, but heres the one for my board so you'd know what to look for in future. as you can see, there is one M.2 gen3 slot connected to the CPU and another one connected to the chipset, the latter sharing it's bandwidth with a PCIe x1 slot (the bottommost one on the board).
interestingly as well it shows an intel thunderbolt controller, which is a feature neither AM4 CPUs or B550 chipsets support, unlike some intel CPUs and chipsets, hence it's useful to check the diagram to see what the board can actually do
>>
>>100226692
a block diagram can also reveal this, since you'd see that the bandwidth for M.2 slot 1 is shared with those sata ports
>>
who cooks new bread?
>>
how come if i wear my earbuds correctly (as in, they're all the way in and aren't loose) i can't hear shit in the higher frequencies (using one of those tone generators online), but if i pull them out and just "hover them" close to the ear i can hear the those high tones just fine without really raising the volume? are my ears deformed or do earbuds work in mysterious ways i didn't know about? using my phone speaker also works.
>>
>>100225369
Define "privately". P2P is literal P2P so the other end sees your IP unless you have a VPN or other type of proxy at your disposal.
>>
>>100197725
Can I get a job if I do cs50? I'm also studying CS in my local collage, but it's not America or English-speaking country

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.