[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: proxy-image (10).png (168 KB, 900x900)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
Stupid questions, + questions that don't deserve their own thread, thread

I have a text file with a Socialblade links on each line, (500 total). I want to batch extract four pieces of info from every page. The upload count, the subscriber count, the views count, and the creation date. How exactly do I do this without trawling through manually?
>>
>>101659121
Why doesn't everyone just be nice on the Internet
>>
>>101659121
Script it in your language of choice. As an example you can use python and beautiful soup to extract the info from one page. The rest is left as an exercise to the reader.
>>
How can I host my library of ebooks on the network so that all my devices can access it and (optional) sync my reading progress across devices?
>>
For normies, is there a discernible difference in speed between Linux and Windows, given that most things they do are browser-based nowadays?
>>
>>101659921
depends on hardware
depends on desktop environment
>>
File: 1591753717550.jpg (56 KB, 600x693)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Why was AMD's CPU output so terrible until Ryzen in 2017? What really turned it around?
>>
>>101660150
They finally got their shit together and figured out what to do to surpass Intel.
Meanwhile Intel got stagnant until 2021, the result is Intel Core Ultra but it might be too late… unless AMD becomes stagnant and ARM fails to take off (unlikely since both Apple and Microsoft is shilling ARM)
>>
>>101660174
>They finally got their shit together and figured out what to do to surpass Intel.
Right, but what did that entail? Like, I had an FX processor that a friend recommended and the difference between that and the Ryzen's I've used since then is night and day
>>
How are piracy dens like YouTube going to cope with C2PA?
>>
New PC build. No post with anything plugged into GPU DP port. I've replaced every single component.
The PC will post fine with just HDMI plugged in and then I can plug in my DP after post. If I run an HDMI to DP cable I get no post. I've tried with 3 different GPUs, two different PSUs, replaced the CPU, went from MSi to Gigabyte mobo, Teamgroup RAM instead of G skill.
I have no idea what the fuck is happening.

7600x
7900 gre
Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX
G. Skill 2x16 Flare
Corsair RM750
>>
>>101659121
I bought this displayport to hdmi adapter that advertises the ability to do 4k at 120hz.
I turned on my computer with it in and adjusted the display settings and it worked, but a couple minutes later my monitor disconnected. I unplugged it and plugged it back in again, but it was back to 60 hz. I kept trying to change it to 120hz but it disconnects until the display settings revert.

the adapter seems to be a bit warm. I think it might be overheating.
Also the HDMI cable is slightly bent on the connector (about halfway on the flat side of the metal shell).

The question is, which do I want to replace first, the adapter, or the cable?
>>
>>101659921
Typically uses less resources
>>
>>101660260
They moved to south korea
>>
File: ezgif-5-e1b7f40d25.png (156 KB, 500x328)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>101659121
how does anyone find shit to buy online?
i just got a psp for my gf recently that needs a new shell and a stick replacement, the stick is easy, but the shell is giving me hell and i've looked all over and come up with nothing but sketchy garbage or "just buy another and scrap it lmao."
when i do find someone that actually says from who and where they got it, it doesn't exist anymore.
my girlfriend is Quite Upset about this, because she also keeps finding things she likes for it but don't actually exist for sale anywhere. picrel.
>>
File: file.png (20 KB, 470x246)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
what is the best remote access application for multimedia on a windows host?
i can watch videos with audio through RDP and its fine for most situations but for movies and other videos like that its not the greatest.
>>
>>101662154
Probably plex or jellyfin
>>
>>101660150
Intel's relative fab advantage is on the wane. CPU leadership tends to follow fab leadership historically. Also the laser eyed retards on AMD's board stopped trying to run the company from the sidelines and put an engineer in charge again. A lot of their problems in the 10s came from the board basically firing everyone who told them they couldn't compete directly with Intel when it was economically impossible.
>>
File: 1425324244754.jpg (42 KB, 377x326)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>101659121
I just switched from brave to librefox, which addon should i get?
>>
I didn't see any thread for this, but anybody else using AVG and it is giving me what I hope, are false positives with some 4chan images that are from the site?
>>
>>101663020
lol librewolf I mean
>>
File: 1717594200521441.jpg (120 KB, 1080x1439)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>101659121
posting this again because I didn't get an answer

I got a new monitor recently (Samsung LS27AG302NNXZA) and it has a weird issue I haven't encountered before. When I lock my computer it normally turns my display off after a short timeout. On my new monitor, the monitor will turn black, but the screen is clearly still on. Has anyone else had this problem? How am I supposed to fix it?
>>
>>101663029
>the screen is clearly still on
not sure what you mean by this
your screen was still "on" with your old monitor, it was just in standby
is it like a residual backlight staying on?
>>
>>101663029
I have two Asus monitors (different models) and one does it and the other doesn't. I looked up the manual for the one that does it and there's nothing I can do about it, it's just like that.
Here's the manual for your model https://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=8308917&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=C&ModelName=LS27AG302NNXZA&VPath=UM/202109/20210914143831950/WEB_LS24_27_UG-NA_LATIN.zip
I think you're in the same situation as me, but you could try the Eco Saving Plus mode to see if that makes a difference (I doubt it).
>>
>>101663199
>is it like a residual backlight staying on?
I guess? it looks like if I fullscreened an all black image. on every other monitor I've used that hasn't been the case.
>>
File: file.png (31 KB, 690x148)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>101663220
I did read though the manual but it didn't seem related. I was kind of hoping to find someone who had the same issue and found a fix. the only thing I can think of that's different is I plugged it in via displayport, and all the other ones I've used were hdmi/dvi
>>
>>101663263
This is apparently a common issue for DisplayPort. I'm not on Windows so I can't test this for you but one of the possible causes is having Hybrid Sleep on in your settings.
If that setting is on https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/clients/manage/power/create-and-apply-power-plans try turning it off.
>>
>>101663340
interesting, I had a feeling it had something to do with the port. the hybrid sleep setting didn't fix it, but thanks for the suggestion.
>>
I have every filter checked except 'Ignore generic cosmetic filters' and 'Regions, languages' in uBlock Origin. Are there any that I should un-check to avoid any conflicts or canceling each other out between AdGuard vs EasyList, if there would be any? And which is better, AdGuard or EasyList?
>>
what is the ideal handheld emulation device?
rog ally, lenovo legion, steamdeck?
looking for widest support/best performance
do any of these have decent switch emulation?
>>
>>101663460
Pretty sure emulation software is the same across every operating system, so support should be the same. Look up benchmarks to get an idea.
>>
File: wtf.png (15 KB, 458x233)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
wtf is this lads?

im freaking out. its firefox browser
>>
File: 2024-08-01 09-17-40.png (96 KB, 1732x974)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
GPT partition tables have this feature called "type". Does anything actually make use of it? Other than EFI hardware obviously wanting an "EFI system partition" for booting.
>>
>>101663593
could it be related to an addon you have installed?
>>
>>101663841
i do not know im terrified (and scared too)
>>
This is a few dimensions divorced from technology but I don't know where else to ask.
How do I "reset" my English typing mindset?

What I've realized is that I'm typing quicker but with a few more mistakes(foot instead of food, whole instead of hole(realized I've made that exact mistake typing this post out)) and when reflecting on what I'm doing differently I've realized I'm saying the words out loud in my mind and typing along, and I guess because I'm not an english native I make some mistakes but because the context and meaning is in my mind I can't catch on to it without thoroughly re-reading what I've just typed.
I've started doing this with physical writing as well.
>>
I've used winapi to write organizational programs for my own personal use. For example, a program with a GUI that goes into a series of folders with inconvenient filenames and moves them all out into a single folder with filenames that go 1, 2, 3, etc.

What's the quickest way to make money with this?
>>
File: Sillä välin Explore.png (569 KB, 1050x944)
569 KB
569 KB PNG
>>101664087
>read english
>numbers appear in the text
>read numbers in your native language instead of english
/blog
>>
Why would I be getting stripes, vector graphics, plain single color images in reverse image search on both yandex and google? When I try on tineye it works
Using firefox with the librefox install did maybe this do it. But why wouldn't it work on tineye too then
>>
File: 1692204069268584.png (291 KB, 1136x861)
291 KB
291 KB PNG
>>101664312
here is what I mean
I turned off family filter in yandex too (tried some landscapes, nature images, some anime but no explicit at all)
>>
File: 1632235838272.gif (562 KB, 600x520)
562 KB
562 KB GIF
Say you have an image that fills only part of your screen. Like an 800x600 image on a 1080p screen. If you screen capture the image, how much different is it from the original image? Apart from the extra fluff. But let's also imagine it's cropped to the original resolution too. There shouldn't really be a difference, right?
>>
>>101664456
Wouldn't the "noise" or whatever be different? It's also in a different extension, which means the new copy is coded with whatever algorithm the tool's devs decided on. For example it was .png, and your screen capture tool saves the capture in jpg.
>>
>>101664312
It was canvas fingerprint resist setting. nvm.
>>
>>101664456
Why ask when you can try?
>>
>>101659121
im thinking of getting a new computer. should i buy a. IBM thinkpad or build a pc? thinkpads have really nice keyboards look nice and chunky, are strong and support loonux. they are also portable. but they have bad displays and are sluggish. a PC can have good displays and will be fast, but not portable and much more expensive.
what do you guys think i should get?
>>
>>101664564
What do you mean by noise? Like the hash? We'll assume the extension is the same at least in this instance, but it's worth noting.
I guess it's more on a technical term how different it is from the eyeballs or whatnot.

>>101664730
I've done it a few times, and in the end it seems mostly the same. I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
>>
>>101664828
If the screenshot is lossless (PNG), it will stay the same. If it's lossy (JPG), it will degrade depending on the setting, which for most images is imperceptible. However if you take lossy screenshots and the screenshots of the screenshots over and over, it will massively degrade the quality.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Lads, question here from someone who (1) has had a Steam Deck before (2) uses Mac as their primary "serious" work PC.

(Q) I want to sell my games PC and just have a Steam Deck (OLED). I want to install Windows on the SD card or a partition. Only use case is YouTube & torrenting & browsing. I have a USB Logitech sound card (so drivers aren't an issue), wired ethernet.

Will this be a headache or unwise? There's a ton of YouTube tutorials on this. For example, if I am running Windows on a Steam Deck, off SD card - will 4k video playback be choppy? Will Windows slowly bloat up the SD card for some weird reason and need to be reinstalled every 6 months?
>>
>>101664851
I see I see thanks. It sounds like a way to save images without using data. Though I'm not really sure how that works because I thought once you load an image it's basically downloaded already.
>>
>>101664909
I wouldn't put Windows on the SD card at least. SD cards are a little more fragile compared to SSDs, even though they're both flash memory. Still different technologies though, just like there's different automobile engines.
SD cards can easily burn out from being used for OSes, unless you get the ones rated for them. Even then they'll usually run slower. I would put the Windows OS on a partition, and install smaller and less intensive games on the SD card. Music and videos will be okay too.
Think of it in terms when SSDs were becoming a thing, and people would put their OS and important programs or games on it, and everything else on the HDD. Your SD card is now the HDD in this case.

With that said, I wouldn't sell the PC unless you just need extra money or find yourself not using the Steam Deck so much despite spending money on it. You can find some videos of people who decided to make their Steam Deck for a week or so to see how it turned out. Might look at some of those. Only one I remember watching was from some channel called Wulfden or something like that.
>>
>>101664931
If you take a screenshot you also lose the original exif metadata
>>
>>101665003
>With that said, I wouldn't sell the PC unless you just need extra money or find yourself not using the Steam Deck so much despite spending money on it. You can find some videos of people who decided to make their Steam Deck for a week or so to see how it turned out. Might look at some of those. Only one I remember watching was from some channel called Wulfden or something like that.

My PC is a luxury device. For games I'll use the Deck more than my ITX PC (4070 Super). I can't justify two such devices, so I'll sell my PC and make it work.

I've looked into the Windows gaming handhelds and they're either pricey, or I have doubts over driver support. There's always something "off" about them vs the Deck, even years later the performance is no better for every one hour of battery life, I'd rather wait for Deck v2.
>>
>>101665039
Could be for the best if you're paranoid.
>>
>>101665059
>ITX PC (4070 Super)
I don't know why you would, but you do what you have to. And yeah the more Windows based Steam-like handhelds are way more pricey for just some extra gimmicks. So unless you get one on a good sale or just given it, I wouldn't bother with it.
>>
I need a function to get a smooth looping color transition, like the ones in cheap Chinese "toys" or rgb gaymen pc parts, but I don't even know how do I start looking for that, all I can find is webshitter bullshit
>>
>>101665284
That will depend on what device your working with, and what languages you can use.
>>
>>101665350
I need a function that one way or another recieves time and returns a color
metaprogramming is fine I can implement it
>>
>>101659121
Where can I get a windows 11 key for emulating on linux?
>>
>>101665368
It's hard to tell what you need because of the vagueness. The Chinese toys and other RGB stuff is probably using the same programming as GPIO stuff. So you might look into how they do it.
If it's all on your monitor then just see whatever web languages you're finding and just search the same but within the language you prefer.
>>
>>101665453
this is a smooth color transition
func rgb(t)
return (1+sin(t))*127,(1+sin(t+90))*127,(1+sin(t+180))*127

this one is very shitty tho, since I can't (don't know how) to specify what colors exactly to contains, it just goes red-pink-purple-blue-cyan-green-lime-yellow-orange-red
I want one that also goes white (but avoids black)
>>
>>101665509
>(don't know how) to specify what colors exactly to contains
*(don't know how to) specify exactly what colors it should contain
>>
>>101665509
>>101665535
This is doing everything in trigonometry so I can't help too much. All I can say is with RGB black is usually 0 in terms of number values, and white is 255 which is usually the max. Maybe you can make sure if t is 0, don't call the function, and make sure 255 can be sent. Yet I'm not sure what t is suppose to represent here.
>>
File: single board computers.jpg (135 KB, 1207x557)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>101664909
>Will this be a headache or unwise?
Yes. It's super slow and your use case involves doing writes so you are going to kill it.
Picrels mostly run off SDcards and even though the system is small and more or less successfully configured to NOT write, it's still shit. Like when you install packages, it's like 1990s again when looking at that progress bar go.
>>
If an image ending with .jpg:orig on Twitter is smaller than 2048x2048, is there any reason to not just save it as .png:large instead?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DliUOwqW0AEHbwk.jpg:orig
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DliUOwqW0AEHbwk.png:large
>>
File: Bitnami LAMP.jpg (37 KB, 648x351)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Recently a pop-up window opened in my phone with this image. I guess it is just a fake ad so you click on it but I wanted to know your opinion. Is it a fake ad or something could get installed like that just browsing the internet?

Also, as far as I know this Bitnami LAMP thing is something to create websites and apps, right?
>>
>>101659121
Is there any site or anything that shows a big graph of top level domains and what linked to what on the internet?
Like a search engine but showing all that info at once in a graph rather than a list
>>
anything like auto captcha solver still exist cause I can't be arsed to "solve" them anymore its busy work and the errors for no reason and bots anyway, just let me post.
>>
What are some algorithms that benefit from running on several cores at once? Bonus points if they're not complex to code.
>>
>>101659121
Is there any way to create a bootable iso from https://github.com/DavidS95/Smokeless_UMAF/blob/main/UniversalAMDFormBrowser.zip on linux that works with ventoy?
>>
Can you convert FILE file types?
>>
>>101667025
mkisofs
>>
File: file.png (5 KB, 701x53)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>Notice this at top of my RAM usage
>Apparently exactly what it says it is, W10 memory compression system
My questions are:
a) Why have I never seen it before, considering I'm always using a lot of RAM?
b) Why's it 'using' that much memory itself?
>>
>have a VPN
>always take my SSD out of my PC whenever I leave the room to ensure higher level of privacy
>look up mundane things on the internet like replacing thermostat in minifridge, monitors for pc, mattresses
>later get messages from parent suggesting these EXACT things I look up DESPITE having my VPN

I am alone in my room and I never leave the door open, I always lock it and I never let them in ever. Is it possible to view my search history while my VPN is ALWAYS active (I have a kill switch)? How is this happening
>>
>>101667331
Example?
>>
Can you block incoming group messages on android? I keep getting USPS scam texts.
>>101667914
Cache; Search incognito.
>>
>>101666352
Lightbeam / Thunderbeam
>>
>>101668242
>Cache
what's this mean
Nobody has access to my computer, is this something accessible from whoever controls the wifi
>>
>>101668366
It's stored in your web browser, regardless of the VPN, so if you're not browsing in incognito mode your browsing history is still stored.
>>
>>101668366
Perhaps you are using a microsoft account with your parents connected to your family? Those track your search history, especially if you're using edge
>>
>>101668505
Again, that's the thing. Nobody has access to this computer, its password locked and whenever I leave the room I literally take the SSD out of it. How could they possibly know
>>
>>101668520
When I fresh installed some months ago I always choose the option "I am not connected to the internet" or something and it circumvents needing to sign in with an MS account. I am not logged into an MS account
>>
>>101668523
Shared DNS?
>>
>>101668617
That's possible while I have my VPN on?
>>
>>101668541
Have you tried asking your parents how they know? Otherwise try some concrete testing to see if it's really a leak, and not a fluke.
Otherwise, a few notes:
- VPN does not always ensure that all your traffic gets routed through it (though it usually does). Just check on any site that shows you your ip
- If you're using https, it's unlikely that your actual traffic is getting sniffed, it's either DNS (like >>101668617
said) or probably somewhere on either end, most likely yours
- Try using another browser, operating system, computer, network.
>>
Do you know if this program is safe? https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/AutoHideMouseCursor

I'm on W10, I want my cursor to hide if it's not moving. Currently I use the inverted pointers but it's only good when I move it to the right or bottom edges of the screen
>>
>>101668657
>>101668617
how can that be if my PIA account uses PIA DNS
>>
File: 1715070358899674.png (24 KB, 675x376)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>101668753
forgot pic
>>
>>101668691
There's an autohotkey script that works for me: https://github.com/ivdccxi/Cursor-Hide/blob/main/CursorHide.ahk
Autohotkey is pretty well known and safe, as long as you don't run random shit that you don't inspect beforehand.
>>
>>101666248
Larger file size?
>>
>>101667914
>"I use VPN"
Nice but there's ton of stuff left unanswered. Like browser data etc.
For example did you browse the internets while logged onto Google? Were you sharing the VPN with some other device?
>>
>>101668870
>while logged onto google
yes. I'm not trying for ultimate privacy, I just want privacy from people who have control over the wifi here. Is this already a mistake?
>sharing VPN
only signed in on one other device, my phone.
>>
>>101668870
>>101668938
btw, I am logged into a google account but I use duckduckgo.
>browserdata
again, is this an issue if NO ONE ELSE has access to this PC? It is in my hands alone.
>>
>>101667914
first, why not encrypt your drive?
when was the last time you re-installed your OS? maybe there's already malware on there.
how tech savvy are they?
>>
>>101668978
>reinstalled OS
probably 3-4 months ago
>tech savvy
not sure I'd say hacker amount but I wonder about something possibly being secretly installed. The problem is I cannot do another fresh install otherwise I'll lose access to certain accounts already logged in
>forgot password on phone with all the auths/passcodes to said accounts
>>
>>101668938
>yes
There you go. Your so called identity didn't change to anything.
>>
>>101669003
not to be dismissive, but are you sure they aren't just bringing up otherwise relevant things?
do you smoke weed?
>>
>>101668768
I downloaded autohotkey from the official website, the hash of the installer matches what they have but when I wanted to install Ahk2 windows says it caught a trojan (Vigorf.A) I can't find info about it. Is it a false positive?
>>
>>101669037
I do not speak about these things and there's no way they could've heard about it/known. I considered it being mere coincidence but its eerie how coincidental its been lately.
>>
File: Screenshot 2024-08-01.png (131 KB, 1617x1125)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>101669045
I cannot seem to recreate this.
>>
File: Screenshot 2024-08-01.png (23 KB, 612x496)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>101669045
As a sidenote, you'll need to install ahk v1, as the script is incompatible with v2
>>
>>101669285
Yep it seems it was a false positive
https://github.com/AutoHotkey/Ahk2Exe/issues/106

Anyways, thanks for your help
>>
>>101663812
iirc you only need the efi system partition. everything linux related just needs to be linux partition, even luks ones.
>>
>>101669886
>iirc you only need the efi system partition
By "need" you mean that's the only one that needs to be marked as something specific?
Yes, correct.
>everything linux related just needs to be linux partition, even luks ones.
Linux doesn't give a damn what you mark the partition as. When you mount /dev/X, you mount /dev/X and that's that.
>>
What would be the easiest way to batch download images by category/subcategory on wikimedia? gallery-dl only does it by article for god knows what reason.
>>
Can any UKfags advise me on consumer rights for returning an android tablet? We have a change your mind policy in the UK but that only counts for unopened, unused products.
What if you buy something that is just underwhelming or has some sort of issue?
For example I bought a Lenovo tablet a few years ago, realised it had bluetooth issues, packed it back up and lenovo issued a full refund.
That seems like a more generous policy than most electronics shops in the UK. Is buying off Amazon a better choice for returns?
>>
>>101670087
to clarify, the bluetooth issue wasn't fully defective, it just distorted over 50% volume. Multiple people on Lenovo forums experienced the same and my headphones worked with everything else.
>>
>>101668852
So there's no benefit at all? I thought they'd be higher quality or something.
>>
Just learning C++ and enjoying myself so far but here's a quick question: I want to prompt the user to enter a few integers and store the distinct values in a set<int>. How can I do this in the simplest way?
I'm looking for something analogous to how we'd just use std::cout << "some prompt\n"; and then a cin >> someVariable; nice and easy.
>>
>>101670452
The two images you posted are, pixel for pixel, the exact same. It seems that the png is just a losslessly encoded version of the jpg.
>>
I'm trying to access my server with a DDNS URL, I'm connecting by tethering through my phone. It doesn't seem to think that that address exists, is there some way to force the tether app's proxy server to use a specific DNS server?
>>
>>101670055
Have you tried giving it a Category: URL? They should be supported as well.
>>
How do I search board archives for terms that include forward slashes, such as general names like /sqt/? The search always ignores the slashes and includes results that don't have them.
>>
File: 1559748940670.png (352 KB, 1062x706)
352 KB
352 KB PNG
How hard and expensive is it to build a plex server? I have a ton of movies I'd like to put on there and with 4K streaming too.
>>
is there any reason why anyone would ever use a css disabling plugin like with noscript for javascript?
>>
>>101659490
syncthing is good for this. you don’t have a proper fileshare, it just syncs. you gotta watch a tutorial to set up but after that it’s good
>>
Is a WordPress site with an off-the-shelf plugin that I modify out the ass going to be bloated as shit? I want to use WP to make a site because of how many plugins it comes with and because I know enough HTML and CSS to stylize them to look more unique, but I've heard that WordPress tends to get slow and clunky if you add too much to it.
>>
File: 1716989679373641.jpg (35 KB, 640x513)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>101659121
is there any site that can download a file to inspect it for malware so you don't have to personally download it first? for .rar .zip mainly

like you just give it a MEGA link or whatever and it downloads it for you
>>
>>101672134
not hard but you want to have a dedicated computer for it. this way you don’t shut down your pc in the middle of your friend watching

also video encoding is not an insignificant burden, there are guides for what’s a good computer for it

do not buy an “all in one” or “cloud” thing that has plex preinstalled. that shit is slop and will put in a chinese back door

the network is kinda easy. just make sure you know what port forwarding actually is and how it means anyone from any part of the internet can try to connect to you over that port
>>
>>101671094
It comes back invalid
>>
>>101672309
you’ll know when it’s too much boat

if you’re not adding 10k lines of js you’ll be 100% fine

even then

html and css doesn’t matter for bloat
>>
>>101660150
AMD gambled on multi-core performance becoming the king, but the software ecosystem just wasn't there yet when Bulldozer came out. And they were already kind of struggling so they didn't have the resources to do another new architecture from scratch until years later, so they were stuck with clustered multi-threading (which was very competitive in multicore performance, matching i7 for the price of an i5, but sucked at lightly-threaded tasks) until Zen was ready.
>>
>>101664826
Spend $20 on a mystery tower from ebay, then buy a good monitor and a decent keyboard.
>>
>>101664909
>Only use case is YouTube & torrenting & browsing.
So you have no reason to use windows?
>>
>>101672216
being pretentious
>>
File: download.gif (908 KB, 480x270)
908 KB
908 KB GIF
Does AVIF hardware decoding on Android support full 444 chroma or is it limited to 420 blaze it? I have like 20+ GBs of 50MP photos of friends/family I want to compress to save space on my phone but if I share them I want to be sure the person receiving such high res images can view them easily without having to download a third party app.

AFAIK all new Android phones are going to be released with AVIF hardware decoding in the next couple of years so AVIF will be safe to use by then. But I can't find information if 444 is supported or not.
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 308x155)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
I think windows 10 is switching between the two networks (ethernet is for quest 2 streaming)
is ther a way to fix this if this is happening?
>>
I was just seeing two networks with the name of my own wifi network, and both had the same.mac address but different signal.strength

I was doublechecking to.see if i did.something wrong and 5 mins later it stopped and.a different wifi network in my area started appearing twice
Is this an evil twin attack? How do i avoid it?
>>
>>101673380
Why not bridge the two networks?
>>
>>101673596
Change and hide your SSID
>>
File: file.png (27 KB, 569x179)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>101674629
didn't know how to do it
>>
>>101674736
Feel better?
>>
>>101670055
you could try getting getting a list of all links on the page through one means or another and then feeding that list to gallery-dl. you can just put one URL after another and it'll work.
>>
>>101674748
no the desktop internet connection is better but the router/hotspot completely loses connection every 3 to 5ish secconds and it's really annoying
>>
>>101674731
Done on my main router, thanks

I have a repeater router that i have to figure out tho bcuz the "hidden ssid" option is greyed out
>>
File: press.png (164 KB, 489x500)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
planning on making a shitty rig i got into a jellyfin media server for a friend of mine, but he wants it somewhat "stylish" since the only place he even has room for it is on a table in the living room that's got a bunch of collectables on it. is there any linux program out there that could maybe like display a slideshow of images that i could run while jellyfin is up too?
>>
>>101674968
Factory reset it?
>>
>>101675057
Your friends an idiot, just put it in a closet somewhere and connect it to the wifi.
>>
>>101674952
update the pcvr router quits out every 10 seconds
>>
I can hear and record my upstairs neighbours fucking at night, when their bed starts banging against my bedroom wall I attach one of those cheap chinese spy gadgets to record the girl's moans and her orgasm howl. I now need some way of viewing through their bedroom window - it's directly above mine and their bed is right under it, maybe 2 meters above me, I assume if there's any amount of light in the room I'll be able to record them.

Any recommendations? even other cheap chinese shit will suffice, I just don't want to invest into expensive equipment I might never use. Was thinking of a camera drone but that makes a lot of noise. Maybe one of those cords you stick down a sewage line to find blacks?
>>
File: image.png (92 KB, 1110x879)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
I have a dual boot of Windows and Linux Mint, I did this yesterday. Is it possible to play Steam games installed from the Windows boot to the Linux boot in Steam?
I only find compatibility videos using proton in the browser.
>>
>>101675057
Well, you can screw around with multiseat so one display is always on it's own user session, but it'd probably fit in with the shelf more if it was just build it in one of those aquarium cases and whatever figures fit inside the computer got crammed in there instead.
>>
File: glowie.jpg (117 KB, 1200x675)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>101675339
>>
>>101659121
Am I not too late to learn to code and make $100k a year from home, or had AI taken all the jerbs?
>>
>>101675474
>Am I not too late to learn to code and make $100k a year from home
yes
>had AI taken all the jerbs?
no
>>
>>101659121
>everything thing seems to working fine. If Cock is down for you right now, then please visit our troubleshooting instructions section to try to diagnose and resolve the server problem
does brave block this or something?
>>
>>101675465
>>101675057
Also a cheap shitty android tablet is going to cost less than any portable monitor or other display that'd fit on the side of a computer.
>>
>>101674864
That worked thanks
>>
File: fkadobe.png (5 KB, 732x110)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>101659121
Does anyone working in IT support have had to deal with the issue where someone is trying to embed Adobe PDF documents into a word file but it just doesn't work.

The error message I am getting is in the screenshot. Adobe makes me hate my job.
>>
>>101676421
That may depend on what version of word you're using and what adobe software if any you have installed.
>>
Two SATA ports on my motherboard seem to have died (marked on pic). Nothing shows up in dmesg when I plug devices into them. What might cause this?
>>
File: mb.jpg (231 KB, 1200x874)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>>101676585
shit. Anyways, it's an Asus B450 Pro4.
>>
>>101676508
Adobe Acrobat 24.002.20965
Office 365 word.
>>
>>101661815
ebay
>>
>>101675449
You'd probably have to do something funky with symlinks and Steam library settings. I know that Steam on Linux installs the windows version of the game but I don't know how to import existing installs into Steam.
>>
File: file.png (88 KB, 778x641)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>101676585
>>101676610
by Asus you mean ASRock right?
from the manual
>* M2_2, SATA3_3 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of
them is in use, the others will be disabled.
these guys share lanes. either move your m2 to the other slot (which will disable PCIE4) or you have to live with those two sata ports being disabled
>>
>>101676730
I do have that M2 slot populated. What is strange is that I haven't had any issues until last week when 2 of my drives died out of nowhere and it wasn't the usual drive failure. I tested each port with a known good drive and the only ports that failed were 13 and 14 (14 actually had a working drive plugged into it according to the logs IDK what's going on). Maybe we had an earthquake that knocked a few SATA connections loose.

Anyways, I appreciate you checking the manual.
>>
>>101665856
yes, I know what rgb is, and t is time

I just gave up tho I'm going to make a function that follows a user defined shape atop the HSV color space, turn that to rgb and call it a day, like pic related
if someone else knows a method then do let me know please
>>
File: IMG_7971.jpg (234 KB, 1170x1301)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
Did my relative get phished? I'm not an iFag so I'm not really sure what happened here. She sent me this screenshot of a text she had with her friend, said it wouldn't open on her iToy. She went to her computer and opened it and she said it had a ton of private financial files from her laptop which were also on her phone. Is she compromised or is her friend compromised or what?
>>
>>101659121
Hoping an Anon can help me with this. I have two phones and two desktops. For some reason only my old phone (no SIM, WiFi only) can post to 4chan and both my desktops and new phone (SIM with data and WiFi) can't. Whenever I solve the CAPTCHA on the other devices it just tells me: "Please wait awhile before making a post." and doesn't appear to have any cooldown timer.

Any idea what that's about?
>>
File: file.png (9 KB, 492x266)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
Im trying to upload a simple fucking mp4 to twitter
anyone know why this could be happening?
>>
>>101678992
also its only 30 seconds long and 3.5 mb
>>
Is it just me or is Machine Learning kind of a bubble/meme?
I'm an undergrad and I've been thinking of working on ML research because it seems to be the "next big thing" but I'm afraid it's kind of a fad.
It all reminds of the crypto grift from 2020/2021, all the meme buzzwords like "AI", the hyper inflated hype.
So I'm not sure if I should continue on this field.
>>
>>101679080
>>101678992
adding -pix_fmt yuv420p to the ffmpeg options when rendering fixed it
codec autism or whatever this counts as is so stupid
>>
>>101679101
It's not like you can't do useful stuff with it, but the VCs were thinking that Large Language Models means that everyone was going to be using some Jarvis/Cortana chatbot to interact with computers using whatever random phrasing of what you want to do comes to mind first, figure out exactly what you were asking for, and keep track of whatever you say about as well as someone you'd talk to.
...Turns out that might be just possible if you throw enough graphics cards at it, but it's starting to become apparent that it costs too much to run right now and people either didn't trust the service providers or couldn't figure out how to do much with the incomplete services we ended up with. So the overhyped services everyone's heard of are not so much a dead end as something that needs more hardware development or weren't the best application of the technology.
No I don't know how much machine learning is used to any practical effect in any particular industry.
>>
What's the best way to play swfs in the current year? Has there been any community/open source effort to create a "good" modern flash player, or is it still just "track down an ancient browser that still has Adobe flash" (which is what I've always done)...? There's so much nostalgic swf content I'd be surprised if there isn't some team of autists out there re-implementing it from scratch.
>>
>>101679367
There's Ruffle, which is still being actively developed. It even works, on about half the files on /f/ last time I checked.
>>
>>101673596
>I was just seeing two networks with the name of my own wifi network, and both had the same.mac address but different signal.strength
2.4 and 5GHz?
If yes, that's a typical setup. Or have access_point and access_point_5GHz.

>>101674731
>>101674968
Not naming the access point doesn't really do anything. Besides hiding the name obviously.
>>
is this the thread for asking stupid questions?
>>
File: ethernet switch.jpg (21 KB, 600x532)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>101674629
Why would he want that? He didn't even say what's all that plugged into.
>>101674736
Do you even want to?
Bridging means you are turning your PC into picrel
>>101672841
This.
>>
>>101670819
>DDNS URL
From the local net? Internet IP doesn't work there, use the local one.
>inb4 "I need my virtual host to work, it's a web server!!!"
Edit your hosts file, add an entry that makes the address point to the local IP.
I know, sucks if you need that for a dozen computers. Other option requires a nice router or setting up alternative local DNS.
>>
File: 1719728727777.png (6 KB, 597x680)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
My friend cracked her phone screen (Pixel 5), she doesn't want to put more money into it but what's to transfer all of the data from it to a new phone including Signal, etc. Can I just use a USB to HDMI to get past the lock screen? Trying to find cheapest solution.
>>
>>101679792
yes honey
>>
>>101678784
Could try changing your DNS and using another browser. I use Google DNS and brave browser. No problems here.
>>
>>101679865
>her
>Pixel 5
>Signal
something doesn't add up
>>
>>101672252
I don't want every single ebook on every single device. I want to be able to choose individually for each device what files I download from the library.
>>
>>101676636
Try libre office?
>>
>>101679500
Uh... "works with half the files on /f/" is kind of a deal beaker Anon... I mean, it's cool that they're doing that, but as someone who just wants to watch flash that level of not-implemented-yet is not really a viable solution. Legacy browser it is I guess.
>>
>>101679101
>undergrad
You're just there to network. Who gives a fuck. Have fun with it.

>>101679290
Commercial ML is in one of those 'the market is always wrong' situations. The companies that will actually deliver value in 10 or 20 years are the ones on the periphery now. All the current big name players are going to implode.
>>
File: 1708179443363.jpg (236 KB, 1024x1016)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>101679924
She's kind of a sketchy person.
>>
>>101679914
ok thanks
>>
>>101659121
any idea how to automatically get rid of my hentai searches that pops up in another site like this? it's a total slog doing it one by one
>>
>>101659121
I own one of these things from lenovo, anyone ever solder a pcie slot to an empty spot in the motherboard before? does that have a chance of working? would it fuck anything up?
>>
How do I get android brave to not lower image quality when I'm on wifi
>>
How do I get rid of the white flashing when chrome loads a new page, or at least change it to black? Enabling dark mode in chrome flags didn't fix it for me.
>>
>>101681228
Clean your search history and your cookie one
>>
>>101681228
Turn off autocompletion form
>>
>>101681662
Middle mouse button click to open the link in a new tab, wait a few seconds, switch to the new tab.
The white flash comes from the renderer waiting for the page to load, and because it doesn't have any data to work with, it just shows white. You might be able to use css injection to fix this, but I don't know if that'd work.
>>
>>101681318
Go ahead, try it :)
>>
File: 0811091335.jpg (143 KB, 1280x960)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>101659121
Just bought my first UPS (APC backUPS 1500 S), had it over a week now and it still has faint smell of ozone, tonight we lost power and the thing kicked on as it should, but the smell got really strong.. everything else seems OK, is this normal?
>>
File: 230Vac waveform.gif (15 KB, 758x456)
15 KB
15 KB GIF
>>101683250
It's normal, AC smells like ozone.
>>
>>101659121
>>101659121
Does anyone know a reliable python library to download stuff from youtube? I've been using pytube for months, but recently it doesn't download shit
>>
Could a program (diablo 2 kolbot) not work because you are using a cheap cpu (intel n100)?
>>
>>101683593
Why not just use yt-dlp like everyone else?
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp?tab=readme-ov-file#embedding-examples
>>
What's the best filesystem to use on an external SSD if I want to use it to play games on both Windows and Loonix? NTFS sometimes gets really annoying to deal with.
>>
>>101683789
NTFS is your only choice.
>>
>>101681228
king
>>
>>101683661
what part of reliable did you not understand?
>>
im looking for a laptop that can take 64gb of ram with a good cpu. i dont need a gpu. any suggestions?
>>
What's the absolute best way to transfer thousands of messages (SMS) from a dumbphone to a smartphone?
>>
TL;DR monitor doesn't detect HDMI cable
Tried
>new PC & new monitor with HDMI and USB+C, not detected
>new PC & old monitor with HDMI, monitor displays image
>old PC & new monitor with HDMI, monitor displays image
>old PC & new monitor with USB+C, not detected
what the fuck? pretty sure it's the monitor, what can I do?
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 695x64)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>101659121
lets say i had some storage on a proxmox node and i joined it to a cluster, which removes the storage.cfg entries.
Google says a backup should be located in/var/lib/pve-cluster/backup/ as a .sql.qz file.
How do i extract the storage.cfg file/entries from this .sql file?

While writing this i decided to fuck around in a db browser for sqlite and i threw the contents into "execute sql" and it created the DB(i though it WAS the db until i thought about the meaning behind "BEGIN TRANSACTION"), i browsed to data, selected text mode and it was all there.
>>
File: welcome.jpg (159 KB, 700x933)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>101683789
exFAT
>>
>>101684441
google the model+your problem
contact the supplier and manufacturer for assistance or refund.
Did u try a different HDMI cable?
Is the USB+C for just providing data to other USB ports on the monitor?
>>
>>101684365
>dumbphone
How dumb(which phone)?
Can it email?
>>
>>101684773
Nokia 6210
>>
File: 1716632742074852.webm (2.95 MB, 500x888)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
Best way to download videos?
I've been using Jdownloader 2 for years but I've had some issues recently: videos without sounds, can't download from Youtube on Chromium and on Mozilla you get a big QR code.
>>
>>101684882
yt-dlp
>>
>>101684962
Thanks
>>
Whats a good cheap directional router for a long range wifi? Is there any way to make a regular router directional?
Im at about 100 yards

>>101679790
Nope, i had made sure i only had one 2,4 ghz connectiom.enabled since thays the only kind of.connection that works long range
And it was 2 connections at 2,4 ghz with the same mac adress and channel, but different signal.strength, and once the clone dissappeared another different AP in my area started appearing twice too

Also the only reason i was analyzing APs was because my interner was cutting off after being stable for hours, whicj could also indicate a bad actor disconnecting me from.the AP to try to get me to give him credentials when i automatically reconnect
>>
File: goatse1.jpg (186 KB, 1280x960)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>101686249
>another different AP in my area started appearing twice too
Your Wi-Fi adapter is made out of chinesium. Or your network management software is buggy, I'm assuming you have a desktop applet that shows a list.
>>
I'm not sure if this is a 4chan thing or a 4chan X thing, but if I mistype the captcha, it immediately tries posting again even though the captcha field is blank. Is there any way to turn this off? I don't see anything in 4chan X settings. It's very annoying and pointless.
>>
500usd for a lg c1 48inch bad deal?
I'm in Canada so I'm rounding to USD, I also avoid the 13% tax on a new product.
Had them send me a video of a burn in test and the TV looks barely used.
I'd be using it as a monitor
>>
>>101687076
>500usd
>used
too much
save up and buy a brand new one
>>
>>101687205
KK just wanted to know what you guys thought.
Too Bad in Canada its like 2.5k for a new 55inch c4 after tax and environmental fee
>>
im getting an error while trying to install mpv
this registry entry is not accessible
i've dealt with this before by running regedit elevated to the SYSTEM account and adding account permissions to the non-working registry entry
i'm doing that right now but it's still telling me access is denied

i could comment the line out of the mpv installer bat and continue on, but i'd also like to address this properly at some point. any advice?
>>
>>101686249
>Is there any way to make a regular router directional?
Stick it at the focus point of a satellite dish.
>>
File: privoxy-show-status.png (45 KB, 800x426)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
Does Privoxy actually work? Or should I be looking at some other project?
Is it ok to chain Tor with Privoxy and use whatever browser?
>>
>>101683918
Yt-dlp is the most reliable as long as you keep it updated to try and stay ahead of the changes google keeps making.
>>
File: IMG_8118.jpg (968 KB, 1290x685)
968 KB
968 KB JPG
I need some insight on what may be happening on my PC setup, it only happens under very specific circumstances.

I just got a brand new 4090 to replace my 2060, and I noticed right away some lines artifacting that look like analog video when it has interference, kinda like when you overclock a monitor or the GPU’s memory clock.

Thing is, it only happens under windows 11 after a cold boot while using a 240hz monitor. If I change the refresh rate on windows to 60hz and back to 240hz, it goes away for a while (never happened in my 2060, and yes I tried DDU and multiple drivers, doesn’t seem to happen on windows 10). I can try to RMA it, but I’m afraid they might not be able to reproduce the issue on their end and waste time/money shipping it and waiting for their response. My fear is that this could indicate a faulty component on the GPU, and I don’t wanna risk it with a GPU this expensive. Performance also seems a bit weird, it kinda hangs/freezes or has degraded performance depending on when you test it.

Anyone seen something like this before?
>>
>>101683299
thanks
>>
what are the dangers of giving your phone number? What can someone do with that information?
>>
>>101689850
they can call you up and ask you to come in on your day off
>>
Any website that allows you to trim videos locally (i.e. everything gets done on the client so no video gets uploaded)?
>>
>>101690185
Why don't you just install a video editor? Even windows has clipchimp.
>>
>>101690216
Yeah I'm leaning towards that, just wanted to know if such thing existed because it'd pretty convenient
>>
File: 1707084286210.jpg (79 KB, 640x640)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>My friend cracked HIS phone screen (Pixel 5), HE doesn't want to put more money into it but what's to transfer all of the data from it to a new phone including Signal, etc. Can I just use a USB to HDMI to get past the lock screen? Trying to find cheapest solution.
>>
>>101690790
yeah, plug in a USB-C to DP/HDMI cable it should just display fine.
>>
File: 1722229541206589.png (1006 KB, 1641x1088)
1006 KB
1006 KB PNG
I'm a nocoder 3d modeller, I need to learn the basics of Python so I can update an old obscure Blender plugin.
Is there a good place to start learning that won't be a giant waste of time?
>>
>>101677622
Anyone?
>>
File: 1701747299106100.jpg (78 KB, 828x801)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>101677622
>>101691758

No way to know without the file, but zipfiles are sketchy, and I think the sender is trying to pretend that's an image file and not a .zip? Which adds a lot of validation for it possibly being a scam.
>>
>>101691758
>A PVT file is a type of Live Photo, a combination of pictures and videos created by an iPhone. Usually, Live Photos have a different name like .HEIC, but sometimes when you share them using services like AirDrop, they might end up with a .pvt extension by mistake.

doesn't explain the .zip but it is trying to masquerade itself as an AirDrop
i'm not an itoddler either so you don't have to listen to me
but if the files inside it are personal and organic, instead of being unrecognizable, then it sounds like boomer just did this in her pocket.
just delete all copies of the file and tell her to watch her bank account for a while
>>
>>101691867
>>101692002
Thanks /g/ents, will forward to her.
>>
What happened to firefox the past year or two that made it so fucking slow and dysfunctional?
>>
>>101692608
if your experience so happens to be specific to youtube then go to
https://www.youtube.com/account_playback
and toggle off browsing > video previews
it was frame-dropping something horrible for me a while on my laptop until i did that
there was also a about:config thing i changed that helped but i forget what it was
>>
File: file.png (48 KB, 820x479)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
Does windows 10 use like 6GB of RAM just to run itself? Why am I using 14GB of RAM but my programs are only using 8GB?
>>
File: bloat.png (107 KB, 881x1157)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>>101692903
The wangblows bloat stigma is not unwarranted. I think it scales depending on whatever memory you have available or something. Here my system is eating up 10GB with nothing but 4 Firefox tabs and Steam open. Was way less when I had less memory on the same OS install. It's really retarded
>>
>>101687547
responding to my own post, a reboot fixed this issue
perhaps something was hung open and locking editing these registry keys as i stay up for long periods of time
it happened for .dts as well as .ram while i was trying to install mpv from the official batch file
but i do recall it being related to corruption as i've had to do this before after my computer lost power
>>
File: 1231050829242.png (142 KB, 250x302)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
Ok /g/ I'm retarded and need to be spoonfed. I want to have an email with a custom domain name (ex: imretarded@mywebsite.com). It seems like website hosting, email hosting, and domain purchasing are three separate things?

What is the easiest way to get this set up? I haven't purchased the domain yet fwiw
>>
>>101693814
>Same
>>
>>101694375
Could probably setup a home server with a static IP to save yourself the hosting, and just use the domain to redirect to your home server.
>>
>>101690185
Use ffmpeg?
>>
File: xp qemu.png (954 KB, 1280x1024)
954 KB
954 KB PNG
i have a windows XP guest in QEMU that i can't get to connect to the internet. i've looked up multiple guides on it and tried using dozens of combinations of options and virtual network devices. I've started from scratch numerous times with different devices including ones that show up as "intel pro mt network connection" and "red hat virtio network driver", managing to install drivers for them just fine. but they can never get any network response despite seeming to be functional and being assigned an IP address and everything. i can never ping anything. i tried turning off the firewall and still nothing. wtf is wrong?
>>
>>101689850
Spoofing 2fa, sending click-bait phishing, social engineering, ect
>>
>>101687802
Probably conflicting drivers. Remove the old drivers and get the latest ones for your GPU
>>
>>101694420
That sounds like it would probably be the least easy way to go about it, anon
>>
>>101694484
Why not use virtual box? What are ya doing with xp?
>>
>>101694537
i like to run old software and games pretty often. i also just like emulating stuff in general. i'm stumped here though since networking has worked pretty much out of the box with everything else I've run on qemu. if I can't get networking working on it I'll probably still stick with it since qemu usually gets the best performance as far as emulators/hypervisors go. i don't really need the network, but it's nice to have and makes transfering files easier.
>>
Anons what is the Cached parameter in Task Manager about the memory I always find it about the same size as my Available... is it bad or something? How do I free up that cached memory? Or is it bad to free it?
>>
File: file.png (89 KB, 930x645)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
how the hell do I render a webm with transparency using ffmpeg?
NONE of these fucking work
>>
File: insaniquarium.jpg (111 KB, 1000x876)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
What is the best way to play older pc exclusives on MAC?

I want to play this game but I have an iMac with Monterey 12.7.5 so it doesn't run without emulation. I have it purchased on Steam.

is it best to run Windows 11 on parallels/vmware, or use porting-kit/Wine?
>>
>>101694694
Wouldn't the latest version of wine handle the majority of your software?
>>
>>101694881
Reboot the computer and check it again
>>
>>101695422
Should have an option to play all titles with steam, I forget how I did it on mint, but yeah, steam has proton by default and that lets you run windows games.
>>
>>101694968
>Chatgpt
To encode a video with transparency (alpha channel) into WebM format using FFmpeg, you'll need to follow these steps:

1. **Prepare your video with alpha channel**: Ensure your video file contains an alpha channel. Typically, this is done with formats like ProRes 4444 or similar, which support alpha transparency.

2. **Install FFmpeg**: If you haven't already, install FFmpeg. You can download it from the official website or use package managers like Homebrew (Mac) or Chocolatey (Windows).

3. **Encode to WebM with transparency**:

Use the following FFmpeg command:

```bash
ffmpeg -i input_with_alpha.mov -c:v libvpx -pix_fmt yuva420p output_with_transparency.webm
```

- `-i input_with_alpha.mov`: Replace with the path to your input video file that has an alpha channel.
- `-c:v libvpx`: Specifies the video codec libvpx (VP8/VP9) for WebM.
- `-pix_fmt yuva420p`: Sets the pixel format to yuva420p, which includes alpha channel information.
- `output_with_transparency.webm`: Replace with the desired output file name and extension.

4. **Adjust settings if necessary**: Depending on your specific requirements (quality, file size, etc.), you may need to tweak additional FFmpeg parameters. For example, you can adjust the bitrate (`-b:v` option) or quality (`-crf` option for libvpx-vp9).

5. **Encode audio (if needed)**: If your input file contains audio that you want to include in the WebM file, you can add `-c:a` and audio codec options as necessary.

6. **Run the command**: Execute the FFmpeg command in your terminal or command prompt.

7. **Verify output**: Once FFmpeg finishes encoding, check the resulting WebM file to ensure it has preserved the transparency.

This process should enable you to create WebM files with alpha transparency using FFmpeg, suitable for applications like overlaying graphics or animations on web pages with a transparent background.
>>
>>101695636
Hmmmm? Now it lowered a lot, the Cached parameter, then... why does it increase a lot? I read somewhere that a high Cached Memory makes some games stutter and freeze, and thats kind of what I have been experiencing since clean installing W11 LTSC, could it may be that? If so then back to my original question... how can I free some memory and how does this affect my laptop?
>>
>>101696070
thank you chatgpt but that was the first thing I tried
>>
>>101696081
What command are you inputting?
>>
>>101696181
>ffmpeg -i input_with_alpha.mov -c:v libvpx -pix_fmt yuva420p output_with_transparency.webm
I have an mkv with alpha that isn't being preserved when converted to webm. I also have the raw frames and rendering it directly to a webm with appropriate codec and pix fmt also doesn't preserve alpha
>>
>>101694375
https://landchad.net/
>>
Whats a good browser?
Chrome, Firefox and Opera are all the same it seems, and brave looks like a crypto miner.
>>
Stupid barely /g/ question
>(>10) years ago when I was in high school, I had a paypal account.
>Friends got into buying/selling social media bullshit. Never looked into what it actually was. They ask me to let them use my account to do so
>Which as I understand it was against ToS?
>Sure I say, because I'm retarded
>Get hit with some kind of fraudulent dispute or chargeback from some scammer they bought from, they claim
>My account gets closed
What are the odds of me ever being able to set up another account? I provided my government docs back then because they wouldn't let me open one without them
>>
>>101696424
There are no good browsers, graphics cards, operating systems, CPUs, motherboards, or anything else. It's all compromised shit.
>>
My understanding, in an off-grid computer setup, power delivery to a PC works like this:
>Battery (DC) -> Inverter (DC to AC) -> Computer Power Supply (AC to DC) -> Motherboard (DC)
Is it possible to skip the conversions and just go DC from the battery delivered straight to the motherboard? Wouldn't it be way more efficient this way?
>>
>>101696424
Firefox is the only one that's somewhat salvageable. I don't condone the official builds.

>>101696631
Also the web was designed by ad companies to that your freedom away.
>>
>>101695627
i'm not sure, but i'm more interested in emulating a specific system as accurately as possible. i have different VMs for different eras of software e.g. different versions of win9x and dos and such. this is just the only one that's giving me trouble with networking for some reason
>>
>>101696713
>official builds.
as opposed to?
>>
>>101696798
librewolf, waterfox, icecat, floorp, seamonkey, palemoon, and other such things that'll make normies look at you like you've got three heads.
>>
>>101697229
Are those good? do you have any experience with those?
>>
Which NVIDIA graphics card vendor has the least failure rate?
>>
>>101697260
Well, basically only librewolf and floorp are caught up with mainline firefox on web standards (read: mimicking Chromium's behavior), librewolf tries to focus more on privacy, floorp tries to expand on customization and has built in vertical tabs.
But they work. And firefox is still important as an obstacle to imposing more strict controls on not just what websites can limit you from doing on said websites but also limiting what your computer can do.
You're still going to get told you're a weirdo to your face if you use anything but Chrome, Edge, or, if you're really edgy, Brave, none of which will stand in the way of remote attestation. Anyone who knew about WEI gave up fighting it within a week, so god only knows why Google decided to make that a part of Android only.
>>
I'm calling a program with popen in C and popen is returning NULL even though it has a return code of 0, and when I try to print errno it says it's an unknown error (0). When I run the command in the terminal it works normally, and returns with a successful code (0).
>>
>>101697704
show us the code
>>
>>101697727
FILE* commandStdout = popen("custom program I'm running", "r");
if (commandStdout == NULL) {
puts("This part always runs");
}
>>
>>101697777
"custom program I'm running" is a placeholder for the alias for a 3rd-party script I'm running
>>
>>101697704
>>101697727
>>101697777
>>101697793
Sorry I'm retarded I used the same error message for 2 different parts of the code
>>
>>101697401
NTA, but can I modify floorp to have almost the same privacy settings like librewolf? I tried using librewolf with a theme, but I couldn't make it work the way I wanted to, so if floorp is retard proof and can have the same privacy settings like librewolf then I might try it
>>
>>101697959
For the most part, probably. I mean I haven't tried this but in theory it should work with a user.js, such as arkenfox.
>this is where you tell me arkenfox isn't enough or is overkill, and a browser should just work in a privacy respecting manner out of the box without me having to do anything before I won't get mad at you for suggesting it
>>
File: brctl-bridge.png (13 KB, 350x349)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
So I have this PC doing picrel. At boot the system pulls a seemingly random MAC for the bridge device. But I want to keep it static because of reasons.
Should I follow some convention and take the MAC from some specific range or what? I'd rather do that than take a random MAC and make it appear as a whatever Xerox printer lmao.
>>
>>101696331
I'll check this out, thank yougw4d
>>
File: idm.png (27 KB, 622x448)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
how do i get crack version of IDM (Internet download manager)?
>>
>>101698273
have you tried searching it with the yandex web search?
>>
I just used ubuntustudio-installer to check out what it has, and now GIMP comes up three times in app search I seem to have duplicate installs going on or something.
How do I remove them?
>>
How can I trick a program into thinking it's not being piped in Bash in macOS?
>>
File: Windows 95.jpg (103 KB, 800x591)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>101698273
>download manager
>cracked download manager
Picture relates?
>>101698208
>"10-00-00-01-00 to EF-FF-FF-FF-FF Unassigned" t. IANA
Pick something from that range.
>>
>>101698927
nvm; I can type "unbuffer " before the command, and install it with "brew install expect"
>>
File: dr.poweriii_1.jpg (39 KB, 720x720)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Can I actually trust this thing when it doesn't find an issue with suspect PSUs?
How likely is it that if a PSU failed such that the fault was undetectable by this tester, Would the PSU also permanently fuck up any subsequent motherboard it was connected to?
>>
>>101659121
i want to search specyfic word/phrase in all of my .txt files on my pc
what soft can do this? everything seems to not work :(
>>
I'm "upgrading" my debian pc by just taking out the ssd and popping it into a newer, better pc. How do I configure it to its new home without getting stuck in the tty over some missing graphics drivers?
>>
File: 1469376352559.webm (2.03 MB, 720x405)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB WEBM
I'm using google colab, for encoding.
Is there a way to speed it up?
or at least get some feedback?
I'm trying to compress a lossless 4K video, into something my machine can play.
>>
>>101700289
I should add I'm calling ffmpeg as standalone command and not through API.
>>
>>101699956
>Windows
findstr
>Unix-like
grep
>>
what exactly is the benefit of compiling applications from source? it's not like i'm checking the source code myself anyway.
i wanted to install ungoogled chromium and figured i might just build from source but its like 10 gigs and takes forever
>>
>>101700435
there's no point in doing that if you won't change anything i reckon, you technically get better performance if you build from source but the difference can be measured in clock cycles so it's completely irrelevant
>>
Why don't we split audio and video tracks into separate files? Players can merge them on the go, and you can download only the languages you want and don't waste bandwidth and disk space.
>>
>>101700435
>ability to remove features you won't use and so reduce the number of dependencies
>use system libraries instead of whatever was bundled by the devs
>remove the tranny middleman maintaining your distro that ships magic binaries
>warm and fuzzy feeling of being a hackerman
>>
>>101664456
there's a few factors, for example your framebuffer (what the screen is displaying) is almost certainly 24bit RGB, any image not the same or losslessly transformable to that may incur loss due to rounding. there's also the potential for image profiles/gamma/etc to be applied to the image data upon viewing, which then become 'baked' into the screenshot
there's also chroma subsampling, that has to be upsampled for display, and the algorithm used by the image viewer may not be (easily) reversible
>>
>>101666307
you may have run into a server which hasn't been set up yet, that looks like something you would see if you're making a website and have only just installed the software
>>
>>101700317
thx
>>
>>101679865
scrcpy if adb has been used on it previously
>>
>>101683250
it's not unusual for things that generate high voltages to smell a little of ozone, as ozone can be produced through air ionisation, which exposure to high voltages does
excessive ozone production could be a bad sign though, do you see any light or notice any hissing sounds coming from inside the unit?
having a look around, it seems this is not an uncommon thing to happen to UPS's, but i can't say i know how much/long is too much/long
>>
>>101701440
I honestly don't know and that bothers me. Maybe that deserves its own thread, but you'll only get enough replies to formulate an answer if you're needlessly harsh, political, and condescending.
>Subject: You're all wrong about video encoding.
>Why has the whole industry been getting this simple thing wrong the whole time? Audio and video were NEVER meant to be combined into a single file. But the dumbass white bitches at the DVD forums just had to screw us all over for the rest of eternity just to keep physical media relevant in a world where it was already ceasing to make sense! Capitalism, everyone.
>>
hey what's the current SOTA on youtube downloading? a linux command line package is preferable. I remember yt-dl got got or something a couple years ago and then something else took its place, but I haven't got a fucking clue where to start looking now.
>>
>>101702993
yt-dlp replaced youtube-dl, we still use yt-dlp
>>
>>101703065
>yt-dlp
bitcoin miner
>>
>>101703124
bullshit fudd
>>
When I try to use yt-dlp with sponsorblock integration it tends to fail to stitch the segements it downloads back together when it's done, leaving a lot of temp and .concat files around. How do I automatically join all those together?
>>
I remember a thread years ago talking about how getting a good re-encode online is actually better than ripping your own remux in plenty of cases because encoders fix issues with releases.
Does anyone have any opinions on that topic? Or links for further reading?
>>
>>101703513
if you don't know what you're doing it's certainly much easier to get a decent result by just downloading a rip someone else made
>>
>>101692802
It's not just youtube. I am aware they throttle for firefox thoughever
>>
>>101699413
No. Very because they don't test ripple at load, which is what usually does hardware damage.

The only thing PSU testers could test that isn't easy to do with a multimeter and a resistor is power good delay, and to my knowledge most of them don't. They're utterly useless devices.
>>
>>101702124
Done. I tried to be as edgy and condescending as I could. >>101704080
>>
I have an interesting problem with my scroll wheel
>starts skipping
>clean it with contact cleaner
>works great
>do it multiple times
>last time I did it worked like usual but then stopped
>then it worked for an hour perfectly again and then stopped completely
>clean it again
>same thing happens
So it clearly still works and isn't fried, but for some reason it craps out for hours at a time, I genuinely can't think of what could be causing such behavior
>>
are anti static bags a meme? taking gpu on a plane and i was gonna put it in the box it came with but doing some googling and some advise to put it in an anti static bag
>>
>>101704191
If it didn't ship in an anti-static bag the foam they put in the box is probably conductive.
>>
>>101703461
okay, so the command to fix one file (as of this year) is
 ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -segment_time_metadata 1 -i "filename.temp.mp4.concat" -vf select=concatdec_select -af aselect=concatdec_select,aresample=async=1 "outputfilename.mp4" 

Using Bash, how do I automatically do this for all .concat files in a directory?
>>
I’m not a FB user but when you make a messenger call to someone on your friends list and it doesn’t make the “dodododo” sound, but they’re online; what does that mean? People say it’s because they aren’t using the phone to browse fb and others say it could be they don’t have messenger. Are these both the only plausible answers?
>>
Got my mom an MSI laptop with i5-12400F on board.
Recently it started getting really hot, even when doing office work, average temperature is 65-70 C.
I didn't tweak anything with MSI software, only set Windows performance to balanced.
What confused me is when a performance requiring process starts, temperature instantenuously goes up, when I started Windows Update CPU went from 60 to 95 in like 2 seconds. I remember having a high performance Lenovo laptop and it took a lot more time to increase the temperature this much. Meanwhile, GTX 1650 shows normal temperatures. Can't be a fan problem, on board GTX 1650 shows normal temps.
I've already tried replacing thermal paste, it didn't help.
Could it be a defective CPU?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.