[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1722976441567128.png (1.01 MB, 1024x1024)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
Angry at Computer Edition

>Interviewing
Neetcode 150: https://neetcode.io/practice
Tips and interview practice: https://blog.interviewing.io/

>How to write a resume
https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/11/25/how-to-write-an-effective-developer-resume-advice-from-a-hiring-manager/

>Salary Stuff
"What's your expected salary?": https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
Negotiation advice: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
Salary data: https://levels.fyi/

Don't disclose your current salary to recruiters.

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
https://www.youtube.com/@ContinuousDelivery
https://www.youtube.com/@EngineeringwithUtsav
https://www.youtube.com/@ByteByteGo (systems design at a high level)
https://www.youtube.com/@ycombinator (if you're doing a startup)
https://www.youtube.com/@hnasr (for studying backed architecture)

Previous thread: >>101775045
>>
recently salary here. got depressed and got fucked up. didn't sleep until 5am. Woke up at 12 but work was supposed to start at 7am. Since I'm salary, it's fine and I don't need to work a full 8 hours right?
>>
>>95009824
It's the sad truth mate, I just wish it didn't end with me in front of the door.
>>
Why the fuck are there no part-time IT roles for remote workers available
>>
>>101789225
I don't get why people who have no clue about cybersecurity are getting offers for random positions. Like, WTF is wrong with this industry? There are tons of people out there who would love to find jobs like that, yet companies hire randos.
>>
I have improved my resume writing and begun tailoring it to every job I apply too. I am continuing my Active directory home lab. I am working towards my Net+. I will not quit. I will get into hell desk.
>>
>>101789565
I don't get this mentality. Are you a woman or a leftist?
Being well paid doesn't or shouldn't translate into having a sane life. I myself was born in a poor family and now I get paid well because I work in tech. But I still don't have my own house, I've had to pay rent for a long time, and even if I have a lot of money saved, I still don't even feel confident to get s loan to buy a house because I could get fired tomorrow and could lose everything overnight. I've seen it happen, not to people close to me but still. I've also read many stories like this.
Sure, there are lots of nepo kids in tech and middle class people who can live with their parents or in their second home or whatever, but not all of us have had that kind of opportunities...

This post caught my attention because my ex gf used to complain to me about our wage gap and about how stingy I was even though I made good money. What she didn't understand, even though I explained to her multiple times, is that buying my own house (or at least land to build on) was my priority, and that I needed to save as much as possible for as long as I could. Sadly, she kept complaining even after breaking up... I guess I should have taught her about money, but she didn't even seem to care about my ideas, so it seemed impossible for me to help her understand me.
>>
>>101789361
it's fine
>>
>>101789361
charge a couple hours to pto if you wanna be safe against an audit. most companies dont have systems these days to audit time fraud because wfh made it too complicated to enforce. before they'd check the badge records.
>>
That blog post is a bot isn't it.
>>
>>101789590
Why did you copy my post? Do you think it's good pasta or something?
>>101789519 (in response to >>101786321)
>>
>>101789636
does time fraud apply to salary though? I thought the idea is that we work a little over and a little under sometimes and it balances out without having to track hours anymore. I wish being salary was less vague, it's kind of weird.
>>
>>101789637
This >>101789655 anon made it for his M.SC thesis.
>>
You faggots are funny
>>
>>101789225
HA, that was me just now yelling at pandas again. Why on earth did anyone think outputing the debug info as a string is what I wanted when exporting a dataframe to a CSV? Why are python libraries written by drooling dummies that have no clue??
>>
File: 1722610422255128.gif (2.72 MB, 520x292)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB GIF
I think someone blackballed me
>>
Tech Jobs will be unavailable starting Monday, August 26, 2024, at 7 p.m. I recommend you all apply for a job while you still can.
>>
>>101789702
Same but it was two at the same time, plus sweaty.
>>
So what are thoughts on networking with people? Just be chill in social circles I am already a part of and chat up dudes I know work in companies with internal IT or dudes that work IT gigs?

>>101789721
I can't be stopped. I will be employed. I will reset passwords. I will run cat cables. It is inevitable.
>>
File: XhtogdhV_400x400.jpg (37 KB, 399x399)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Can anyone please advise on dealing with some stupid pajeets at work?

I'm not talking about pajeets who mess things up, I couldn't care less when they do that. They are in charge of a process that I need to go through in order to deploy our app in their server, I'm the only one doing this because everyone else who worked with this app left because of the pajeets.

The process is fucked up. I have to fill a bunch of forms in a bugged website, with some specific values that I don't know how to fill because I'm not familiar with their system. I don't know how it works but there is no way this is necessary for a deployment. It needs to be done all over again whenever I write something wrong, which most of the time was not in the documentation or I asked and they didn't tell me it was wrong and only said it after I submitted it. They refuse to help beyond responding with one word answers, and go silent or pass the ball to each other when they don't know something. I also get errors all the time on that shit website that they have.

I wonder if they use this themselves and how they manage it. Maybe since they're familiar with it and speak to each other in their language, they can do better. I legit don't know. But there is no way white people would have designed a system and process like this.

The fucking jeets, who btw must be a bad caste bc they're as dark as niggers, are saying that I can't get it done because of "a gap in understanding". These fucking idiots can't understand what I'm asking when I ask them why things have to be done a certain way, because they can only follow instructions, I do so much better than them at my actual job which is coding, but I have "a gap in understanding" jfl

There's a guy in charge of this project who is a pajeet and believes them btw. There are white people involved who think they're idiots but this will probably still make me look bad.
>>
>>101789521
all remote IT roles are part time if you just do your work fast and then take the afternoon off
>>
>>101789881
yea remote basically means part time in practice

who tf works the full 8 hours remotely lmao
>>
>>101789665
varies from shithole to shithole
>>
>>101789751
Being social certainly never hurts, but I've never gotten any value out of networking in the wild. I've gotten tons of value out of references/nepotism, so def be social with others when you already have a job, because you can kind of make your career self-perpetuating. But getting that first opportunity remains problematic...
>>
>>101789673
No, you are wrong, I did it for my McDs thesis
>>
Applied to
>Meta
>Microsoft
>Apple
Fuck it, chucking one to Amazon now. I truly hate this stupid game.
>>
>>101790018
just apply to comfy companies instead. they will allow remote work, have less expectations, and pay similarly
>>
>>101789832
Did none of the answers you received yesterday work?
>>
>>101790083
I'm a mechanical engineer. I'll get shafted in those smaller companies and underpaid.
>>
>>101790098
not really

i got more out of thinking about it in order to post about it than form the responses themselves
>>
>>101790018
Can you even get an interview without referral?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Anyone else just simply bad at their job?
I don't have impostor syndrome, I am just objectively very sloppy, very very lazy, don't test anything, make lots of mistakes and have no desire to improve whatsoever.
>>
>>101790178
>have no desire to improve whatsoever.
based

most developers i work with are like this actually

if you can join a company that hires pajeets this will go unnoticed because they set expectations very low
>>
>>101789225
The big headline today is that Intel is being sued for - among other things - massive layoffs [0]. This is a big change from other tech layoffs because unlike companies like Google, Facebook, or apple who laid off and went on to perform very well, Intel has been the underdog for several years now and things are probably going to get worse instead of better. Legal action from share holders (in small part) because of the layoffs could put pressure on technology companies to hire responsibly in the future. I think this is a turning point for the current job market and big layoffs from this point will become rare if the lawsuit goes against Intel.

[0]
https://www.reuters.com/legal/intel-is-sued-by-shareholders-alleging-securities-fraud-2024-08-07/
>>
>>101790134
I got referrals for both Microsoft and Apple and they're dragging their feet. My Apple window is basically closing out by next week from the amount of time I've waited.

I don't even know what's up with Meta. Their job portal is bugged and doesn't list any of my past applications. I think I applied to their ghost jobs.
>>
>>101790178
What I've learned from keeping my job for many years now is that whether I'm trash or have impostor syndrome or whatever doesn't matter. If the company is stupid enough to not fire me regardless of whatever the reality is, that is their problem. If I get fired I get fired. Oh well.
>>
>>101790178
good morning saar
>>
>meta recruiter wants me interview at L6 level
lol I don't stand a chance, but whatever it's their time
>>
File: 7987615234778394876.jpg (156 KB, 768x768)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>101790351
>L6
>$600k+ TC
fuck it, I hope you get it anon
>>
>>101790399
The fuck is that kind of compensation for?
>>
>>101790399
My only hope is that maybe the interviews focus more on structure, system design, and project leadership stuff rather than leetcode... which they might. But still, even then, me qualifying for that level would be a stretch.
>>
>>101789986
Being social hurts a lot, every time I trust a coworker they stab me in the back for their gain, every single time.
>>
>>101789832
Wear a turban to work and ask for PSD while that is happening.
>>
>>101789978
But I'm not from a shithole, I'm from Vancouver.
>>
>>101790351
At that rate you should hire a team to help you pass it, seriously, any remote interview should have someone on your earpiece and with remote pc access, and you should have a personal trainer for the interview, they will know what you to learn and most important will motivate you to learn/train for it.
>>
>>101790178
I didn't used to be this way. The company I work at has slighted me way too many times over the last 2 years for me to put good effort in.
>>
>>101790551
Meh, even if I did all of that, there's still basically no chance they'd hire me, so I'm not going to waste my time or money. I doubt the recruiter will even be able to find any hiring managers interested in interviewing me anyway. They'll probably look at my resume and say, "Lol why are you showing me this crap? That loser should just khs."
>>
>>101790622
I feel you on that sometimes you just start resenting them
>>
>>101790646
Do you know how hard it was to give you this chance? How hard did I have to work to put things in motion? You better attempt it or there will be consequences.
>>
>>101790773
I didn't say I wouldn't attempt it. But I'm not putting in any special effort.
>>
>>101789721
>Tech Jobs will be unavailable starting Monday, August 26, 2024, at 7 p.m
why not?
>>
File: alex5.jpg (32 KB, 670x923)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>101790178
krishna is that you
>>
>>101790921
Agarwal, but nice attempt racist chud.
>>
>>101790932
wait so you're indian and you're bad compared to other indians?

JFL
>>
>>101790946
>Your name determines your nationality
>>>/pol/
>>
How do you guys deal with the smell coming from the rear after going to the bathroom at work? Every time I go and go back to my chair I end up sweating down there and the poop water goes into the chair's cushion, it's starting to smell even after the weekend.
>>
>>101789225
how are you actually supposed to read this book? it's literally over a thousand pages
>>
>>101789721
why that date?
>>
>>101791089
these books are filled with 70% fluff.

Its doesn't get straight to the point like microsoft's learn website does. It talks about history and some other random stuff to increase page count and waste your time
>>
>>101791286
>microsoft's learn website does.
okay so how do I go about using MS Learn?
>>
>>101791009
take flushable wipes with you
>>
>>101791089
Just use gpt on the test, they let you bring your own mouse, just load it with the proper software, there are open source versions, but if you are willing to spare some cash you can get some pretty easy to use ones.
>>
>>101791387
basically
>>
>>101790932
krishna why did you nuke two tables lmao
>>
>>101791396
>they let you bring your own mouse
>just load it with the proper software
you can't do that in a testing center
>>101791286
>It talks about history and some other random stuff
literally just read the book, that fluff is necessary to build context. ffs this is why there's a competency crisis in tech like we saw with crowdstrike and its because you grifters can't be bothered to understand the bare basics of tech
>>
>>101790125
Same answer as yesterday: you need to take public notes of the interactions, and then point at them when appropriate. To be absolutely clear:
-You can't make retards stop being retards
-There's nothing anyone here can tell you which will make those jeets magically not retarded
-You notice how many people in these threads complain about their coworkers being retarded? Because there is no easy solution
>>
>>101789832
As you said, the system itself is a mess, so much so that it doesn't have a way to correct itself and doesn't allow you to find a way to figure it out. In this kind of situation, the next time you have to interact with it, send an email to the jeeters in charge as well as your own boss who needs you to complete your work. Lay out your deployment plan, ask them if you're doing it correctly, and keep the email thread updated. If they do not respond to your request for support, leave this publicly in your boss's hands.. Make everything public.

The largest system in a company is the social one, with people who are willing to work with each other in order to make money and survive (or perhaps even thrive) in this world. If your direct management won't take your side in enabling you to carry out your fundamental job, then the problem is worse than merely having to work with jeets.
>>
>>101791553
This
I take notes on absolutely everything, especially when some retard says some stupid shit. And then I'l ask for clarification on that to embarress them.
The only time I don't get a chance is when the director shuts them down, which he does gracefully eloquently and without gentleness or prejudice. I strive to have that ability.

>be working on new system
>explaining technicals in a hands on meeting, as well as asking some probing questions; only director is answering
>upstart arrogant PM decides to "point out flaws"
>gets shit on by director cause PM fumbled the very same system hard before it was passed along
Beautiful
>>
>>101790517
I'm referring to employers
fucking leafs man
>>
>>101790212
kek, no wonder the CEO was tweeting scripture
>>
>>101791089
Took me 6 hours to finish reading that. You skim shit you know and write notes for shit you don't know and do the practice tests if there is any in the book. Certification/College books are really easy skim reads once you read a few of them you get the objective and focus on shit you barely know and don't know.
>>
>>101790178
Truly, getting a job is harder than keeping a job
>>
>>101790412
Keeping your mouth shut as you find more and more shady shit Meta gets up to
>>
>>101789832
I thought only jeets cared about caste. Is there actually any difference between castes?
>>
File: 351421.jpg (207 KB, 1654x707)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
current, I WFH and I spend maybe 2-3 hours a day max working but I have been with the same company for 6 years, barely getting pay ($82k/y) above my HCOL area. I'm beyond tired of the work I do with some tasks I've owned since I started as an intern.

I have an interview with a place with a big name next week that also presents an opportunity to pivot in a different field but it requires I go into the office 4 days a week and, per online reviews, has office politics/potential bad work-life balance. the pay is a little higher ($90k)

my dilemma is the aforementioned being with the same company since graduating college along with feeling like I'm rotting in my room all day WFH. I get that it's a luxury but at least in the office I have opportunities to talk with people and network. I know I could massively regret this decision but the job market is so shit right now. I need advice brehs
>>
>>101792696
NTA
Caste system has been going on for so long that there is straight up ethic differences between the groups with very very little intermingling.
>>
>>101792696
Yes, there is a massive iq difference between the castes due to the restrictive breeding over centuries
>>
>>101792696
I wonder if India will try to get rid of its lower castes entirely if they had a dual war with Pakistan and China. Non Indians are second from the bottom and its why your treated like shit at work btw.
>>
>>101792696
Put it this way, you can probably have a well reasoned discussion with a Brahmin, at least as far as midwits go.
Try to talk with a Tamil though, the typical result is their yellowy eyes blankly staring off into space
>>
>>101789832
can't you not report their shit for being technically convoluted and useless, and the pajeets themselves not being able to document it?
>>
>>101789590
I was insanely sketched out by just getting a car loan for this exact reason. It really doesn't matter how much money you're getting paid really in my experience; there will always be the fear that it could stop at any moment. If you aren't confident in how you're getting money you should be highly aware of that fact - ESPECIALLY with regards to how you spend and any financial commitments you make.

I have found more often than not that it's women in their mid to late 20's who are just entirely oblivious to this. College being a great example here - they saw it as the "do this thing to make six figures button" that - if they pressed - everything would be perfect and just work. I feel like people are very disconnected from the money now and think it just comes from no where. There is a complete lack of appreciation for how money flows through a business and they think all that matters is their area of specialty and that since it exists it will always be valuable.

This is the most true in tech and I don't know how the hell people didn't see that coming 5 years ago.
>>
>spend literal months carefully negotiating bullshit workload with the bullshit work department
>boss goes over my head to specifically ask the bullshit work department "SHOULD WE DO THIS BULLSHIT WORK? HOW ABOUT THAT BULLSHIT WORK? WHY ISN'T THIS BULLSHIT ADDED TO OUR WORKLOAD???"
i know he's an idiot but i thought we had an understanding, dear lord
>>
>>101793408
Make a MOU document and negotiate with your boss what should and should not be taken as work. Then you give it to the work department.
>>
>>101793487
absolutely not how it works here, the executives are 100% in on bullshit work so if you try to be reasonable and set explicit boundaries you'll get told to suck it up or you'll be "given help" ie they'll actively ride your ass every moment of the day to help you "prioritize". the only way you get out of it here is by misdirection (they don't know you're doing a thing), delaying (oh no we're at the very end, we don't have time to do the bullshit!) and collective action (me and colleagues collectively slow-walk and so expectations are lowered to avoid bullshit management's losing face)
>>
>>101793246
>There is a complete lack of appreciation for how money flows through a business and they think all that matters is their area of specialty and that since it exists it will always be valuable
People in general are bad at this. It's wild how many people I've mentored for writing their promo packets and when faced with the fundamental question of "What was your impact?" they just repeatedly fall back to explaining what they did, as if the fact they had a long list of toil entitled them to a promotion.
>>
>>101793709
It's bad because most of the product that gets shipped makes 0 money and has vague reasons as to why it should even exist. Hell I barely even know if the work I do sees an end user, and I know full well from my experience most of those end users aren't going to find it very useful.
>>
>>101793709
i'm curious how actual impact fits onto a resume in your experience. my current job is ideally to wrangle the junior and freshly senior engineers into actually taking ownership and doing their jobs
>did you think of this? did you check that? does this interface with that? do you even know what this is? (they don't)
but "wrangling retards" doesn't fit on a resume so you're left with neo-fluff not much better than "promoted synergy"
>>
>>101789881
>>101789900
https://youtu.be/0-fnZMKlSE4
*blocks your path*
>>
File: 1694858970176420.png (347 KB, 476x347)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
>>101793903
>>
File: 1721134358568216.jpg (88 KB, 640x768)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>101793565
Anon I am so sorry you gotta play the the circus in your office to get anything done or avoid bullshit work that should be someone else's work to do.
>>
>>101789225
im currently trying to land new grad roles in tech in the UK as a CS undergrad. Do you guys think neetcode 150 is enough for the leetcode parts of the assessments?

im also learning system design (watching hour long youtube videos on the topic)

I have a good CV and good projects/leadership positions, is this enough?

also are in person leetcode assessments easier than the online assessments? I have a feeling that the only reason the screening onlie assessments are this hard is because of the autist arms race in leetcode so they just come up with whatever to filter people out.
>>
>>101789225
whats the best way you niggers cheat online assessments? Chatgpt 4 cant solve some unseen assessments without getting half the hidden test cases wrong. IS there a prompt you use or an alternative resource?
>>
>>101794000
nah it's my job, at my company the architect's job is to nurture the leads and protect them and their little retards from the ever-encroaching hordes of nontechnical vampire parasite niggers that think real work just grows out of the ground so surely everyone has time to attend their niggermeeting or fill out their niggerspreadsheet. just wish my boss wouldn't make my job harder.
>>
>>101793796
I knew a guy who worked on DoubleClick right after it got acquired by Google. The top of his resume was literally just "Made [$X hundred million] from [Y and Z]". And he wasn't bullshitting. I assume he's retired by now but - if he hasn't - then I assume he's never had trouble finding work since.
Obviously not everyone is going to be able to say something like that, but I would treat it like the north star of impact. Everyone who actually looks at his resume is going to notice it, and only a moron would ignore it. Do an exercise where you imagine yourself at the same org as that guy, and I think the more indirection needed for your claimed impact to end up at that guy's claim the worse off you are.
Like if you need to say "I wrangled these juniors who contributed to A, which allowed for us to do B, and that facilitated C," etc. and at the end *maybe* it resulted in the company making more money... then you're going to have a rough time. I'm not sure what your role is from the work you're describing. If you're just some kind of dev in a leadership position then I think that gives you grounds to take credit for your team. (And hopefully your team overall produces revenue in some way.) If you can't get reduce the indirection no matter how much you try, then you probably want to find another role.
>>
>>101794106
git gud
>>
>>101794119
>then you probably want to find another role
skull emoji
>>
>>101793903
fuck you!
>>
I feel like Slack creates a lot of grief. Like people treat it like some anonymous chat room where they need to attack people, even though we are respectful irl.
>>
im an intern and im finishing up my internship. would it be foolish to talk to my boss about how best to put this experience on a resume?
boss is cool enough, i think we have an ok relationship, but i don't want it to maybe jeopardize future offers.
>>
>>101794556
Is there an expectation of an offer, and would you take it?
>>
>>101794556
>would it be foolish to talk to my boss about how best to put this experience on a resume?
no, but why don't you talk to him about staying at that place?
>>
File: 1483171566459.jpg (100 KB, 640x800)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>101794526
Honestly its odd I use email, and a few other services for multiple lanes of communication for redundancy and we rag on each others hardcore. I feel like the false sense of security from being behind a screen gives them that protection they need to say shit. But it also gives us more room to shit talk our customer than we normally would too so its a give and take kind of situation.
>>
>>101794579
>>101794646
i'm going to be working there part time for this next semester. i left that part out intentionally to see if it would change the answer.
i got to work on cool shit and i'd enjoy continuing to work on cool shit, but if some other company would pay me more to do it, i'd take the deal.
>>
>>101794683
If the expectation is that you're going to keep working there then I wouldn't ask your boss. Plenty of other people to task in the world.
>>
>>101794683
you know you can always ask them to pay you more, right? there is this trick where you get an offer from another company and tell your current employer to at least match it. you could also do that.
and no, don't talk to your boss about that shit if you will keep working there but are planning to leave as soon as you get a better offer, unless you are confident your boss will understand and won't react badly
>>
Are there any cool sectors of tech with stable or high paying opportunities for BS/MS holders in the USA other than web dev/faang? Like for instance game engine development, embedded systems, so on. I wouldn't mind not being remote if it was interesting enough and paid well. Starting to realize I can only tolerate CRUD dev at my current job, I really don't give a shit about any of it but I do like CS as a whole.
>>
>>101794650
Maybe it's just common to rag on each other and I've either avoided it or been oblivious. Most of my career has been in silicon valley where it was frowned upon, but even there, there was still a lot of email cc: passive aggressiveness from managers to pass off responsibility by making people decipher the email chain.
>>
fellas, tomorrow is finally friday
>>
>>101792742
what is the commute?
>>
My corporation's tech infrastructure is being held together by hopes and dreams.
>>
>>101792876
No the low castes are super important to do all the dirty work
>>
>>101795259
No, tech is a shit profession. The high paying jobs are disposable and short term and the durable positions pay like shit.
>>
>>101795919
Yeah, on one hand I think you have to be deluded to actually find CRUD, cloud infra, etc. interesting and on the other shit like game dev or embedded generally pay less and have less job stability. Not a great situation.
>>
>burned out, no mental power
>want to play video games to take my mind off tech for at least few hours, but modern and indie games don't seem that fun
>get told that I should try grind by tuk-tuk addicted zoomers
At this point just thinking about doing anything but tech feels better short term, but makes me upset long term that I didn't stop thinking about work and grind in meaningful way.
>>
>>101795508
10 minutes away, no highways or anything so there's never traffic
>>
>>101796001
play black ops cold war (the campaign) it's awesome
>>
>>101789225
I was too scared to go on my digital nomad trip to Taiwan and I canceled it. I don't think working all night would be fun.

I'll just continue to visit the gym and grocery until by annual 2 weeks
>>
>>101796078
>I don't think working all night would be fun
I can't speak for digital nomad but I swing my sleep cycle to do this every couple weeks and it's pretty fun. I get to code in peace all night and then just zombie my way through my morning meetings instead of wasting prime brain juice on them.
>>
>>101796063
My definition of video games is date.
I'm looking for something to play, not an interactive movie, 'deep' tween sonic uncanny valley fandom, overpriced proof of concept, gambling for kids, or an esport.

Basically being happy about games making me angry like /v/ back in 2008.
>>
is working at a data center comfy? I imagine you'd be installing rack servers and running cables and shit all day, doesn't seem too bad. Am I wrong?
>>
>>101796131
I used to think like you when I was depressed
Not every modern game is shit, but yes most indie games are just incomplete proofs of concept
You need to look for the AAA gems, linear games that are like 8-20 hours long and don't waste your time
With no irony black ops cold war is probably one of the best AAA fps campaigns to come out since Titanfall 2, even if both are quite short at like 8 hours each
>>
tip for my unemployed anons: dont apply to jobs yourself, pay a guy on fiverr from bangladesh/pakistan $1 usd an hour to. pay per job posting though so that they dont lie about the time. if you estimate that the avg job posting takes 2 mins to fill out, then determine the cost per post based off that. it should be 4 cents a post. add your rational for the pricing so they cant upsell you. this is a fair price and they know it.

$1 a hour translates to 50k monthly pkr which is their average monthly undergrad salary, not joking that is a comfortable salary to live off of: according to https://www.reddit.com/r/pakistan/comments/17qkiup/average_salary_in_pakistan.

this way you save time and can do more important stuff. start off with a 1-2h of meetings with them and write down all the info they need to fill it out. in the meeting have them do a couple in front of u and teach them what options they should do. have the same username/password for workday accounts. this is lifehack no one tells you. only know of it cus someone on reddit mentioned they do it themselves
>>
>>101796131

Only game I'm currently looking forward to is Black Myth: Wukong.

i know it won't feel as good as playing Sekiro or even Lies of P for the first time but it's something.

At the moment I'm just playing through the Elden Ring dlc for the second time but doing all the quests in order.
>>
>>101794095
yes neetcode is all u need. ignore the binary stuff tho cus thats useless
>>
>>101796240
>I used to think like you when I was depressed
I'm just genuinely old.
I don't find modern games fun because they're on conceptual level different from my expectations. The most fun I had was playing dyna on phone in dosbox over year ago.
>>
>>101796764
>I'm just genuinely old.
Real shit. Lately I've been thinking about setting up my own Ragnarok Online private server instance. Might be lonely, but seems like it could be nostalgic to just wander around in it while I wait for my CI.
>>
>>101796001
Either download an emulator and play old games, or turn it off and go outside - it's summer, go enjoy the sun, fresh air, and the fucking trees.
>>
Im almost done with my comp sciene degree but have to do an internship. I tried to apply at all the big companies but they all reject me. Now I got the chance to do my internship at a very small company (i think under 10 employees). Will this fuck me over or is there hope left to work at a big company when Im done with my degree?
>>
>>101796909
No one will give a fuck where your internships were. You're fine.
>>
Any of my fellow bongs ever got tired of working for a company and just dropped your notice in, but offered to keep working for them as a contractor?

I do data stuff, it's not very engrossing and it's all old legacy stuff for the most part.
Management are all feckless halfwits that have ran the company into the ground, to the point the where they actually went into administration and shut down all the companies and had to shuffle everything under a different Ltd.
I technically don't even have a contract any more because my old one was tied to one of the defunct companies and the morons still haven't issued me a new contract with the new company, so I think I'm back to working to statutory conditions.

Anyway, I've McFukken had it here, job market is finally picking up again by the looks of it, so think I might quit, give them five days notice, and tell them if they want to continue using my services they can rehire me as a contractor for £300.
>>
>>101797099
300 day rate that is
>>
>>101797099
I've done a scam similar to this for a couple startups. I join, find my footing, and if the place doesn't seem like a guaranteed success I just tell them I'm feeling burnt out but would still be open to occasional contracting and I understand if they don't feel comfortable giving me their (worthless) equity. Most startups play loose with VC money (though maybe less so going forward) so you can make effectively what you were before while working less, and they'll always default to you over finding career contractors because you're already familiar with the system
>>
Honestly bros I have an AS in CS where I did calc 3 and a few other courses that would be useful for engineering. Should I ride out the shitty dev market (I am already employed as a dev) and finish my BS CS or do a BS EE and try to get into embedded development?
I think the problem here is that by the time I finish the BS EE tech will probably have bounced back, but I'm not sure I like the prospect of having to learn a fuck ton of front end frameworks and pretending to be full stack for the rest of my life
>>
>>101789225
I need some advice anons. I have two offers for junior positions:

>1. large corp, will be a fullstack role in a monolith project with lots of legacy shit (they mostly use Java 8 and 11)
>2. very small company, purely backend role with the newest stack on the block (but still LTS shit) - java 21 / quarkus / microservices and cloud shit

Purely from stack perspective I much prefer the latter, but its going to be shittier pay (~20%) and less recognizable ofc. Wat do? Both are remote btw.
>>
does replying to a recruiter email quickly (within 10 minutes) give them an ick? I should be acting like I'm hard to reach right?
>>
>>101797498
I don't like giving advice on anon boards like this because it's heavily going to depend on what you intend to do in the future, your own personality, and your situation. IMO workplace culture is much more important than what specific technologies you're working with. Last thing you want is to be in a job where you feel like shit, but saying that you may use it as a leaping point for better opportunities.

In any case, good luck anon and congratulations!
>>
how do you cope with bombing a coding round at your favorite company
>>
>>101797498
read reviews. go with the one having better WLB
>>
>>101797656
Same way you get over oneitis with chicks: keep bombing interviews until you stop giving a fuck
>>
>>101797656
sissy hypno
>>
>>101797656
>your favorite company
Jokes on you, any favorite company I would work with became yet another meh one after a few years. There is no such thing as a great company, the only thing that can be great is pay.
>>
>applied for a junior remote dev role
>they asked for a CS degree or relevant experience
>I don't have a CS degree but I have 9 months of experience as a dev
>Applied last night, got a rejection email first thing this morning

I'm so fucking annoyed by this. What do these retards want?
>>
>>101797753
Is your experience actually relevant
>>
>>101797763
Yes
Both the job I applied for and my experience are both in webshit
>>
>>101797712
well thats the thing, i wouldve made almost double the amount im earning right now there
>>
>>101797770
>no degree and only 9 months
>thinking you can compete with trillions of new grads with years of combined internship exp in the worst market ever
why do you even bother applying retard? stick to local shops, you're lucky to even have any experience
>>
>>101797931
meant for>>101797753
>>
I have my own company (UK vat-registered), just signed up for Amazon Business, how does it even work?
When I buy something that is listed as "excluding VAT", do I end up paying the excluded VAT later on?? I don't get it. I'm not good at the tax stuff, just do coding simple as.
>>
>>101798138
Yes unless it balances out from VAT you've collected
>>
>>101798138
>I have my own company
>When I buy something that is listed as "excluding VAT", do I end up paying the excluded VAT later on?
you should learn how things work before even thinking about starting a registered business IMO....
>>
>>101798468
In the UK we need a ltd company to operate as a contractor you dumbass. It doesn't matter how it operates, it matters that I do things this way in order to not pay the uk state too much tax to feed more shaniquas like your mother.
I don't need to know all the intricacies.
>>
>>101798479
>calls other people dumbasses
>asks 4chan for help instead of an accountant
>>
>>101797753
Meanwhile
>Got laid off by first actual job
>Have CS degree + 1 year full time experience + 2 internships
>Apply to shit knowing I won't get shit

I'm impressed by your confidence, anon.
>>
>>101798575
I have asked my accountant already, he doesn't respond as fast as 4chan.
>>
I spent 5 hours adjusting ssh login options on two test docker units so on Monday someone can login with their broken putty client.

why? will I ever again in my life adjust ssh -o and ssh config file? is that useful in any way?
>>
>>101798138
If it's a business expense, like a work laptop, you don't pay vat.
If you're buying stock to resell to a non business customer, you collect the vat and pay it onto the tax man

Don't forget to keep your fuel receipts and travel tickets so you can expense them
>>
>>101798623
Yeah that actually sounds like a useful experience.
>>
>>101797931
>>101798585
Well I had no idea the job market was that bad still lol
>>
>>101798674
I can't tell if that's serious or sarcastic.

Most of the tasks that go to me is fixing such things. Are tasks like that useful for devops in anyway?

I never get things like setting new servers or typical devops tasks always debugging and changing weird options. At least I get no timelines because sometimes I do that in 5h sometimes it takes weeks because firewall is flipping values of url and I need to trace whole path across the world (literally).
>>
>company expects you to study while you arent at work, while you arent getting payed for it
no thanks
>>
>>101798703
Tasks like that are devops. I don't know what you thought devops was. I wasn't being sarcastic either. You're gonna be doing little debugging and tiny updates waaay more often than setting new servers.
>>
Wew, couple of years ago ASDA got bought by a pair petrol station jeets
Just heard they're shutting down their entire Leeds based IT department and outsourcing all the jobs overseas
>>
>>101798712
>while you arent getting payed for it
Even if you are, learning about the project or the company is the most useless pastime ever. Once you change the job that knowledge becomes totally obsolete, it becomes junk you have get rid of your brain.
>>
>>101798728
>I don't know what you thought devops was
I don't know what I did expect.
Others are doing more routine tasks and have more narrow knowledge.

I'm the only devops who actually does "thinking" like debugging or coding network stuff and scripts for whole department of 100+.

But also I get way fever tickets because they go to admins or "devops" who deploy servers or even actual devs first.

How do I decide what's worth learning and what should be googled&solved without focus on it?
>>
>>101796063
the multiplayer is better
>>
>>101798798
absolutely, im not gonna dedicate my life to that kind of shit, as soon as you move you start over on a new set of nontransferable shit. and fuck the "to apply, please have 5 years of experience using our propritary shit"
>>
>>101798833
Don't know man, maybe ask one of your seniors.
>>
File: 1701050848076715.png (384 KB, 1540x672)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
Ron Jeffries apologized for inventing Story Points.

He then went to call the whole idea of software estimation "evil."

Story points is the Emperor's New Clothes.
>>
I'm at the point at work where I understand almost nothing that is happening and people are starting to get annoyed when I ask them questions I can tell. I feel like it isn't completely my fault because this is the most disorganized, obtuse place I have ever seen, everything is just patched together like a Frankenstein monster, bad data abounds, everything is silo knowledge, nothing is explained, the entire company is a disaster, I can't even believe they are in business. If I get fired it's probably the end for me though since it feels like I'll never get another job.
>>
>>101799198
>department introduces story points
>"Don't worry, these will just be used internally in your teams. We won't grade you on them"
>2 weeks later higher ups complain we aren't doing enough story points
>We now have story point quotas
Its all so tiresome
>>
>>101799198
all this new age trash is whats killing software devs
>>
File: 1621699588336.png (405 KB, 520x668)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
>>101799404
All tech bros really need is a endless supply of energy drinks, lithium, vitamin D3, espresso machines, coffee, tea, amphetamines, coke, multivitamin, weed and goon breaks.
>>
File: 1694289718808438.jpg (87 KB, 1080x1056)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>101799635
in a civilized society, employers would be providing maids for on demand blowies and testosterone and hgh injections with the amphetamine
>>
>>101798138
Your accountant will claim the vat back from hmrc if its a qualifying expense
>>
>>101797656
>favorite company
anon…I
>>
>>101799635
i would like some kebabs to help me drink more caffeine
>>
If i can just get a new keyboard and new mouse and new SSD, my life would be so much better. I can cope with my daily struggles, at least.

But im a third worlder getting paid peanuts, working 12 hours with 4 hour of commute each day.
>>
File: 1630429707200.jpg (1.76 MB, 1500x1166)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
I need a REAL WOMAN IN MY WORKPLACE
>>
File: GUesGnyXoAIqa2m.jpg (197 KB, 1170x1128)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>
>>101800030
>picrel
that image is really dark
>>
>>101800271
Notice the gold star :3
>>
rainy day and feel like shit
just wanna play vidya all day and whack off
>>
>>101794723
>>101794751
i appreciate the insights. thanks, anon.
>>
>>101800003
like me? <3
>>
>>101790517
>But I'm not from a shithole,
>I'm from Vancouver
Kek
>>
File: 1691525964638816.jpg (40 KB, 600x600)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
I was supposed to work in a new project at work and I have done literally nothing in a month and half.
At this point either I start pulling all nighters or hire a pajeet to do it, but most likely I simply won't do anything at all and try to take the hit without getting fired.
>>
We live in a dying, sick world and I'm not having fun at all.
>>
Why do these retards overcomplicate everything. It is internal crud shit that will be used by 5 people it doesn't need to be scalable to industry standards just because you read some soifaggot's blog doesn't make it the de facto best choice for our use case. This project could have been done in 1 year by 3 people who don't pollute the codebase and make braindead choices. Oh well, not my problem. I will do the bare minimum for a couple hours build on top of this mountain of dogshit mouthbreather design, adding to the problem
>>
chatGPT kinda sucks at answering exam questions
>>
Thanks to chatgpt i got A in my data structure class.
Too bad it doesn't pump my overall final gpa to at least get 3.00. I have 3 D's and this campus is just so stingy at giving grades.
>>
>>101800846
How's the deadline looks like? They want you to get it done in 1-3 months?
>>
>>101800926
This is a never ending agile shitfest. As long as the customer is retarded enough to pump money into it, the ride never ends
>>
File: 7392163527813.gif (524 KB, 720x404)
524 KB
524 KB GIF
I'm never getting a job am I?
>>
>>101800891
Wouldn't you normally have the solutions used for grading at your disposal when working on old exams?
When working on new exams, solve them yourself for fuck's sake.
>>
>>101801067
What do you do in the meantime to make money?
>>
>>101801127
Living off my savings. Been going 2 years and still have a begrudging 3 years more left in the chamber if need be.
>>
Is it normal for companies to rely entirely on a single foreign contractor? Trying not to have an early stress-related death
>>
>>101801175
I'm in the same boat, though it's only been 1 year for me and I have enough to last another 5-10 depending on the stock market. I'm gambling a little bit on stocks to try and make a couple hundred dollars each day.
Also hoping my side project takes off and I get a (one) user
>>
>>101801067
>>101801175
why the fuck did you leave tech right at the top of the tech boom?
>>
>>101801296
I got laid off during the great layoff tech wave and it's been nothing but nonstop waves of layoffs
>>
>>101801087
I'm not taking any exams, I graduated many years ago. I've just been doing some experiments and found that GPT, on average, gets between 60-70% of the questions that I've thrown at it correct. These are fairly standard questions.
>>
>>101801332
sorry for being pedantic, but
>2 years
that was in 2022. AFAIR, layoffs started in 2023
anyway, I wish you good luck.
>>
>>101789225
>AI shit OP image
Fuck off
>>
>>101801395
No. They started right at mid 2022. I was in the first massive wave.
>>
>>101800030
>Implying you can't envisage the average tech worker as a fat slobbery hog sitting in his filth, grunting away at a key board
>>
>>101797563
Don't know, but when a recruiter sends me a message on a Friday morning, then in the afternoon follows me and sends me a connection request it fills me with a sense that they're desperate to reach their quota for the week.
>>
>>101800846
There is no incentive to fix business problems bc ultimately you get more pay job hopping with a transferable skillset like highly scalable applications and padding your resume
This is part of why devs push so hard for microservices so they can learn go or whatever on a microservice and job hop from their java gig
>>
File: 1700705642538342.jpg (104 KB, 1014x906)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>decide to pursue cybersecurity
>listening to udemy talks, completing tryhackme learning paths, going to start letsdefend next
>find out that the vast majority of security doesn't use Kali
>find out that the vast majority of security doesn't even use fucking Linux
>it's mostly windows utilizing gui's
So was I just overestimating the learning curve required for this profession or what?
>>
>>101801864
using Linux has nothing to do with cybersecurity, but depending on what you want to learn or specialize on, you should learn how to use ALL major operating systems
>>
>>101801895
>using Linux has nothing to do with cybersecurity
This statement is just outright false.
>>
>>101801895
>>101801936
I was more surprised at the amount of cybersec workers that don't use Linux as their main OS. It's fucking windows.
Why? Isn't Linux less restricted and therefore more useful than windows when it comes to getting shit done?
>>
>>101801936
>t.retard
are you trying to bait or something?
I'm a pentester and many of my coworkers use Windows.
>>
>>101801960
>Why? Isn't Linux less restricted
wtf does the OS has to do with being less or more restricted? you know you can have admin access on Windows, do whatever you want with the OS and use Linux (Kali or whatevre) on VMs?
are you people retarded or just pretending?
>>
i want to fuck gen z boss and a mini so bad
>>
>>101801960
Extremely valid and based take.

>>101801963
Not bait.
I don't currently work in cybersec, so you do one-up me there, but I did just finish my bachelor of CS majoring in cybersec, and Linux was vital for many of my units, so I feel like it has - at the very least - some relevance in the cybersec sphere. Not saying all cybersec is done on Linux (although it should be), but saying:
>using Linux has nothing to do with cybersecurity
is just outright false, even through only my brief understanding.

Always willing to learn from a professional, though. I'm currently looking for work.
>>
>>101802123
>Linux was vital for many of my units
... and? aren't we talking about using it as your main OS for work? is your laptop too shit to run VMs or something?
yeah, many tools only run on Linux. so what? people can use whatever they please. the OS itself is a matter of taste, whatever tools you need, you can install on VMs, containers or whatever. even WSL1 (a Linux emulator) and WSL2 (a VM)
>>
since management has pretended to help all they've done in make a bunch of word salad tickets no one will ever do and delay releases over some irrelevant shit for no reason. oh and we do devops now or something so all the pipelines randomly break over environmental issues. (no one looks at the pipelines anyways because they're a waste of time.)
>>
File: 1723221349294.png (381 KB, 3280x3000)
381 KB
381 KB PNG
I have a bachelor's degree in CS and my job has nothing to do with CS.
>>
File: 1718626190005329.jpg (25 KB, 350x238)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>101802054
>why would using microshart's bloatware emporium with Co-Pilot® and Microsoft Store® (included at no extra charge!) be more cumbersome in a professional setting than using an OS that is literally just an OS
Pic related
>>
>>101802168
>aren't we talking about using it as your main OS
You said it has NOTHING to do with cybersecurity. Running Linux in an emulator or VM is still related to Linux, is it not?
>>
>people HAVE to use X technology at work because some retard said so in some random forum
no wonder you faggots don't get hired lmao
t.have used Linux for almost 20 years
>>
>>101802224
... anon, there are ways of using Linux-exclusive software on Windows
plus, here's another argument: most of cybersecurity work actually consists of a few fields:
- networks, which you can analyze with nmap, Nessus and other scanners
- websites that can be pentested with a web browser and Burp Suite, and
- mobile apps, for which you need phones (ideally rooted), adb or whatever tools there are out there to talk to iphones, Frida and whatever other tools you can find to decompile apps, read system logs and intercept comms.
and, guess what, you can do this on Windows (and Mac) too.
you don't NEED to run those on Linux for pentesting. plus many Linux-only tools have OSX ports and alternatives that run on Windows. Linux might be very convenient, but it's not a requirement for 99% of the shit you will do in real life.
>>
Im so tired
I shouldn't complain as I get paid relatively well, but man...
>>
>>101792742
If you feel like you need a change, make the change.
WFH isn't going away, stop worrying that you'll never find a WFH job again. You will, there are still shitloads at the 82k/y price point.
If you're rotting in the room, why not go into the office? You have nothing to lose and can fall back to WFH
>>
>>101800030
Based, but sadly the value added to society seems inversely proportional to how well a job pays.

>>101792742
I wouldn't do it, but I'm a NEET at heart, but I know the feeling of "rotting" at home, I picked up as my home to make home improvements, like gardening, electrical/lightning to keep myself busy.
>>
File: 1695295028478167.jpg (73 KB, 1024x962)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>apply to 2 remote jobs earlier this week
>no updates on anything
>friend asks for the posts
>sure, not like either one of us have a shot at the job
>the posts either closed or non-existent
I can take this as either good news that no other fuckers will be applying and they want to hire, or bad news that they already filled the slot and they forgot to update everyone.
>>
>>101802750
>still thinks remote job postings are real
anon, I...
>>
File: pepe-scared.png (117 KB, 640x640)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>first week on the project
>learned they're deploying to production on Saturdays
>>
File: 1701114412076040.gif (1.68 MB, 275x206)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB GIF
>>101803038
>>
File: 1396967348100.jpg (71 KB, 579x960)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>Just got laid off from giant tech firm
>15% of workforce got shit-canned
>Saw "Looking for job" posts on linkedIn for weeks
>CEO of 15+ years resigned
>Replaced by a w*man
>New announcement from company revealing pointless AI on their flagship product
>News comes out that the layoffs were preparations to restructure the company to launch AI tool

I can't take this anymore bros.
Is there any fucking way I can capitalize from these retards' mistakes?
The company isn't even fucking publicly traded yet.
>>
>>101802123
>He thinks anything learnt on his debt generation time sink is any bit relevant to actually working
Heh
>>
>spend 6 hours straight trying to fix some aws user/role permissions (user can't assume role despite me double checking everything)
>give up and provide wildcard permissions to both in the end

surely they won't notice, right
>>
File: AGDG.gif (6 KB, 256x256)
6 KB
6 KB GIF
I just got a $20,000 raise (170k -> 190k) and I feel like a slut because I hate my boss and want to quit but I don't think I'd be able to find another fully remote job that pays this well
>>
I work in Tech Support and a role just opened up at my company for Senior SWE (Frontend). The strange part is that the requirements seem fairly vague/basic:
> Strong knowledge of HTML,CSS,JS, and JS Frameworks (React, Angular, or Vue)
>Experience with version control systems (eg. GIT)
> Experience with server-side rendering and SEO best practices
>...etc

Not sure if I can get this since I don't have official experience working as a SWE but I'm gonna apply. Should be double my current salary.
>>
>>101803354
That was me 9 months ago. I still hate everyone I work with so i just started doing less. Somehow it has been working out still. The golden handcuffs are pretty cozy.
>>
>>101803448
They are asking for an average junior front-end webshitter.

>Senior
wait what. lol.
>>
>Got an interview for a promotion to second level
If I don't get it this time, I'm done with this company. Every other position here is very gatekeep-y.
>>
File: machineGuni.gif (76 KB, 512x512)
76 KB
76 KB GIF
>>101803477
My wife said

>It’s like when your parents just hit you and you cried so they felt bad and took you to get ice cream kinda raise
>>
>>101803354
stop complaining, enjoy ur pay and continue working their until you grow old and retire or get fired
why do you do this? you are only there for money who cares about ur boss or whatever
>>
>>101803510
>Wife
Why has 4chan been getting so many fucking normies?
>>
>>101803544
>normies
You're one of them.
>>
File: young-bill-gates-001.jpg (31 KB, 460x276)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>101803512
>“The greatest hazard of all, losing one’s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed.”
- Kierkegaard
>>
its unironically over for me
>>
>>101803560
Nah, letting the government in your relationships is insane.
>>
Do you guys recommend any specific certs?
Backend dev here, my employers is willing to pay me certs and I was wondering which ones are worth it.
>>
>>101803752
>are willing
Fuck me
>>
>>101803752
I'm also trans btw if anyone cares
>>
File: terry[1].png (579 KB, 990x682)
579 KB
579 KB PNG
>>101803778
Why don't you go fuck yourself you mouthbreather cocksucking faggot?
>>
Alright anons.
I'm making around $160k as a data engineer for a smaller startup. Been here for like 5+ years. I wasn't always data though. I have only done this for like 2+ here. Company has moved me around a lot to save me from layoffs.

401k but no matching. Decent health. Reimbursements for internet. Few stipends for things. 100% WFH (Was pre COVID).

I feel day to day is not stressful. Lots of company holidays and generous PTO.

I have equity but the company is still private. I haven't exercised yet but I can do it anytime so long as I remain employed.

The company recently adjusted our options to be more favorable due to the market downturn (even though we aren't public yet).

Debating in how bad I'm being screwed or not.

Day to day is comfy. But I have zero upward mobility. I'm getting 3% raises if lucky.

I also know the market is a shit show and I have comfort in being tenured here.

Thoughts on whether the grass is greener elsewhere?
>>
>>101803162
>Is there any fucking way I can capitalize from these retards' mistakes?
Short stocks.
>The company isn't even fucking publicly traded yet.
In that case probably not.
>>
>>101803510
Wow women are fucking retarded
>>
File: 351631513451535151.jpg (84 KB, 900x900)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>101803814
>I'm only getting 3% on my $160,000 a year guys!!! :(
>>
>>101803814
Eerily similar to my situation sans getting moved around. Act as if that equity does not exist because until you can sell it anywhere it is worth nothing. Some shit happened and my options went down 99.9% due to dilution; sure they adjusted the strikes but the amout of equity I have now is barely 1 month's pay. The fact your workplace wanted to keep you is enough of a sign that they are trying not to majory fuck you over, which is a big positive. If I were in your boat I'd probably stay until the market improves. Maybe ask about having your salary adjusted to a market rate instead of a CoL pay bump. Longshot but it might work.
>>
>bug ticket assigned
>it states they want feature X changed, even though feature X is doing exactly what it is supposed to do
yeah, easy close of ticket. it really isn't my problem you dont like the way feature x behaves
>>
>>101803814
I only get ~3% raises if I exceed or meet expectations, I only make around $80k as a software dev in seattle
>>
Speaking of certs, I've had a datacamp sub for a while
Is it worth doing their Data Engineer certs? Are they actually at valued by the industry as they claim?

>>101804216
Yeah fuck em, bug reports aren't a way to bypass change request processes
>>
>>101802381
this shit sounds boring as fuck
>>
>>101804216
tell them "To accomplish this we would have to do Y, a know anti-pattern."
>>
>boo hoo I only get 200k as a junior code monkey
why are amerimutts like this
larp or genuine mental illness
>>
>>101804431
>the tools make the job boring!!1!
/g/ - Technology
>>
@here hi team, happy friday
>>
work is pretty fun actually. not the recurring meeting daycare part but actually talking about money and designing and discussing systems to do so is fun.
>>
>>101804784
I'm talking about cybersec, it sounds really boring, wouldn't you rather build stuff instead of being a literal jannie?
>>
>>101804157
Yeah 3% is $5k. Clearly you are too retarded to have a big salary since you can't work with big numbers. But 160 +5 would be 165k. A base salary of 200k is bigger than 165.
Hope this helps.
>>101804177
Thanks for the feedback. Good note on the dilution. And same deal. FMV of my shares went from around 3 months salary to less than one month. But it's still private equity. And there wasn't dilution. Just readjusted strike price.
I'm thinking the same. Probably best to stay put. Even without the equity, $160k isn't terrible. I always worry I'll go chase a $200k to $300k salary and get laid off for 3 months and be unemployed for a year or more and end up netting less than having stayed put.
>>101804322
Big sad . Grind is real. But market is fucked atm so nobody is being generous. May be worth staying put if the work life isn't too stressful.
>>
>>101804880
I'd rather analyze and reverse engineer stuff, find vulnerabilities in all kinds of systems and exploit them than build stuff for mr corporate schlomo. I can build stuff in my free time

>jannie
only SOC monkeys do that
>>
I'm going to quit my job and move out of this shithole city. I don't care if I make shit money this field is soul sucking dead end shit roles that actively make the world a worse place. I'd rather do something else and leech off welfare and be a minimalist I don't care about the money it's not worth wasting your life around soulless bugmen soifaggot nerds whose lives revolve around knowing obscure faggot computer shit
>bro just do the minimum and get a hobby
You are the soulless bugman I am talking about. Even doing this 10 hours a week is hell and you will one day realize your life passed you by you dumbass miserable nerd faggot
>>
>>101804922
I give reverse engineering a pass because it's extremely cool
>>
>>101804177
>Maybe ask about having your salary adjusted to a market rate instead of a CoL pay bump. Longshot but it might work.
Forgot to comment on this. I got away with this 2 years ago. Probably won't again. Good suggestion though.
>>
So how do I get a job as a software engineers in the UK if when I apply I always get told that there are many candidates and they chose not to go ahead with me. How tf do you stand out in this shithole? I am going insane, I will fucking rebel against every fucking kike and shabbot goy out there. Fucking insane fucking insane fucking insane. Its been almost a year now since graduation and nothing. Theres barely any jobs on the market for entry levels and they're always 30k to 35k a year, literal dogshit. FUCKKKKK KIKESSS I WILL REBELLLL!!!
>>
Hey
>>
>>101804990
a bit of reverse engineering is part of almost every job for me
>>
32, NEET. Mom won't be around forever. Every one of you is super-fortunate from my perspective. Any other anons in a similar situation?
>>
>>101805110
let me guess, you want a nice long quick call on a Friday afternoon
>>
Just passed to Net+. Now I have the Sec, Net, and the AWS foundational cert. I want to be a Cloud DevOps Engineer so I guess the Kubernetes CKA is next. I have experience as an on-prem Sys Engineer already. I think I'm going to pivot to Azure and get that architect cert, everyone I've talked to says that it has the best future and I see the most job postings for that platform in my are.

I WILL get into cloud engineering and then security. In the meantime I just got another Sys Admin gig.
>>
Are business trips as cool as I think they are?
>>
>>101805091
Contact companies direct and see if they are hiring, banks are usually a safe bet (finance and insurance after all about our only profitable industries)
You can also get used to wearing a nice skimpy dress and get pimped out by a software consultancy... probably to a finance company
>>
>>101805247
it's fun a few times a year, always nice to see people in person and treat yourself to some nice dinners, but be careful you don't accidentally sign yourself up to travel more than once a month. it gets old.
>>
>>101805247
nope gay as shit usually unless its big business. if youre just a conference cuck its a joke.
>>
>>101805091
And 35k is good for entry level you dolt, you'd only get 25k out side of London five years ago
>>
I think I am very good at leetcode. I never practice but a couple times I've gone on the website, picked a hard level problem with one of the lowest acceptance rates, and solved it in like half an hour or so. I thought that was normal since I'm a professional but I heard some people struggle with this.

I don't mean to brag at all btw, I'm not in a position to brag, I went to a below average uni and only have no name companies in my resume.

I'm trying to think of how to make this benefit me, because I think if I applied to a top company they wouldn't interview me anyway.
>>
>>101805167
I guess not, food, water and roof are given to you guys so... count your blessings
>>
will something bad happen if I dont work my notice period?

I would burn a lot of bridges with people at my work place but I hate working the notice
>>
>>101805401
You don't have to. It would give you bad reputation or whatever, but if you don't want to, you don't have to, at all. If they forced you to you'd be a literal slave lmao
>>
>>101805456
I want to just say to them to just use most of my holidays up for my notice but no one will be covering for my position (helldesk) so I will 100% be rejected on that deal.

My manager is a massive pain to deal with and I just want to leave ASAP but worried about references and looking bad to others
>>
>>101805520
You have to get approval to take vacation? Literally just schedule those days off
>>
>>101805520
you can get around bad references tb h

i get bad references from every job and i dont care

if you list them as your current job, people won't call. you can also then, for your next job, list the entire time at this company at the next as current job. or put a company that's out of business in your resume
>>
>>101805540
its the UK so they legally have the right to say when I can take holidays. so yes holidays here needs approval from managers. And they most likely don't like me either and will force me to work otherwise they will have to pick up the slack, I'm the only helldesk person there
>>
>>101805593
request the holidays before you give notice lmao
>>
>>101805608
I did and it got rejected because everyone and their mother requested holidays off in august.

helldesk takes the brunt of everything in the business despite being so needed crazy
>>
File: 1578549637521.jpg (20 KB, 480x480)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>101801864
Keep doing the shit you're doing, make projects out of it, and compile a decent project portfolio.

My first cybersec job I essentially did the same thing, built an entire security program for my home lab out of open-source tools and spare-parts tech, employers were blown away (as it was not another CV from Rajneeshpuram Uni) and I now spend my day occasionally pre-testing Defender signature updates and validating server compliance. Do the fun shit just to keep your passion up when you inevitably work a soul-destroying "security" job.
>>
>4000 applications
>5 interviews
Is this rate normal? All apps done through indeed, 2 yoe.
>>
Do employers check if you copied the code in your github projects from chatgpt? I hope not anyway.
>>
File: 1723237171780.jpg (1.03 MB, 1440x1866)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
It's over
>>
>>101805836
that subreddit has been saying things are horrible for like 10 years now

btw they're a bunch of stupid nerds
>>
>>101805836
>redditor is a loser

Truly shocking development.
>>
>>101805815
As horrible as this sounds, that's considered above average these days.
Congrats!
>>
>>101803334
This is me every other week. It's insane to me that AWS doesn't have some kind of perms sandbox thing for easier checking of the minimal requirements. You either wildcard or you just take hours to iterate "Is this enough? Is this enough? Is THIS enough?", and then once you get it working you're supposed to binary-search your removal of things to only give what was actually necessary?
>>
>>101805848
post your pay stipend then shill
>>
>>101806011
i make 50k
>>
>>101805970
What's your life like at the moment?
>>
>>101803640
tfw no young bill fates femboy bf
>>
>>101806046
Good thank you, and yourself?
>>
>>101805289
Those were considered good graduate salaries 10+ years ago. Countries gone to the bloody dogs and it's us sensitive young men that are worst effected.
>>
>>101806040
thats poverty wages, how the fuck are you ok with that
>>
>>101806090
im in spain
>>
>>101805836
I have a friend that graduated around the same time I did. He went to trade school and became a certified electrician, I got a CS degree and currently work as a data analyst.

I always thought I would make more than him but I make 65k and hate my job, he makes 90k+ (with overtime and bonuses) and loves every minute of it.
>>
>>101805836
funny how these whiners who complain about not getting interviews despite having a great education from a top school and a github full of interesting projects never link their CV nor their GitHub

Curious!
>>
>>101806143
could very well be a larping pajeet
>>
>get promoted to Senior Staff Engineer
>IMMEDIATELY tons more work piled on to whatever I was already doing
>need to spearhead 2 greenfield projects and give a talk at a conference while also being a high-output IC on 3 other projects
>HR tells me my pay won't be bumped to the next band until September
cocksuckers are getting a free month of labor out of me
>>
>start applying for jobs en masse using a specific new email address for job applications
>within a few days of applying i start getting spam from indians

i fucking hate job hunting
>>
>>101806256

companies tend to exploit employees that they think will take it. its sad but i've seen good people who were just doing their best be absolutely exploited, to the point that you could see in their face that they were unhealthy and aging fast, up until they couldn't take it and left the job. for some reason they would rather do this than take care of good employees.

dont be one of those idiots man. society as a whole is very cruel to the weak, in general too. you have to make it worth it for them to keep you employed, but still make your boundaries very clear and let them know that you really don't care about the company, since i do that, my bosses don't like me but they respect me
>>
File: 1682041955204906.jpg (99 KB, 613x987)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>101805247
only if you get to drunkenly fuck the stacy who is also on a business trip in your hotel room
>>
>>101806453

its getting harder to spike their drinks though
>>
>>101806453
but she also already fucked like 4 other guys before getting to you*
>>
Should I get an online masters from a higher tier CS school? I have a BSCS from an unimpressive state school
>>
>>101805247
Only if you go with your boss. He'll want to splurge on nice dinners and alcohol on company dime. If you're sent on your own it sucks because the expectation is you work 16 hours a day and your per diem only covers Waffle House.
>>
>>101806620
but then you're still with your boss. fuck that. unless he wants to go to a brothel on company dime too
>>
>>101805167
My retarded brother is 40 and still a NEET so yeah. It hasn't gotten any better
>>
>>101806496
nope
>>
>>101806734
I have a job, and was hoping it would get me a better one.

Grinding LeetCodes it is
>>
>>101806782
is leetcode that useful? how do you get interviews in the first place?
>>
What's the lowest tier tech job I can apply for in the US? I need to get away from retail and food service. I have 131iq on WAIS IV but I have been complacent and avoidant. It's time for something else.
>>
>>101806701
You used to be able to expense going to strip clubs. Yet another great thing DEI killed.
>>
>>101806919
GeekSquad its even below helpdesk.
>>
>>101805637
won't you get payment in lieu of leave if you resign and have days remaining?
>>
Has anyone here ever uploaded plagiarized work to Coursera and got away with it?

I'm doing the IBM Data Science Professional Certificate and one of the courses requires me to do exploratory data analysis and then compile a 50+ page PowerPoint. And also upload the code/notebook to GitHub

Really tedious shit man
>>
>>101803973
nta but that was a witty statement
>>
File: 1630091073517.gif (2.87 MB, 600x965)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB GIF
>>101807007
You Will Never Be A Data Scientist
>>
>>101807042
I'm already a Data Analyst. However, a part of my job's 'Professional Development' objectives/OKRs for FY2024 is to complete this course. If I had known I would have picked something less involved.
>>
>>101807077
Yeah but you live and learn. Just shit out garbage if your going to cheat. If not you could probably find that course content it easily online. Everyone cheats but you have to know the risks and account for it according the costs of getting caught.
>>
>extraordinarily vague intro
>no job location
>no salary range or compensation
>"This is a golden opportunity with a <insert buzzword salad> company
>"Got time for a quick intro call?"
why are recruiters like this? do you seriously think I have any time to even think as a high impact engineer, let alone for a """quick""" talk?
i WILL NOT schedule time on your goofy calendly link
i WILL NOT move to Des Moines, Iowa for a 6 month contract job paying $40/hr
TRD
>>
>>101807203
And then you jump through every hoop out of interest, only to get told the job never existed but here's a 3 month contract for a job 2 levels of magnitude beneath your current level.
>>
>>101806105
my condolensces
>>
>>101806210
I'm from Sri Lanka you racist retard
>>
>>101807270
>>101807203
Attitudes like that are why all jobs will be jeetified.
>>
>>101807327
nigger i'm a staff engineer at a household name company with 12 yoe
aint nobody jeeting me
these recruiter grifters just need to hang
>>
>>101807327
They are going to be Jeetified anyway, then reputational losses from Jeet code will be more than savings in salary, then everything comes back on shore, we've been through several cycles of this.
>>
boyos, they got to me - layoff. the (((owner))) most likely needs the funds to fund the war effort at ukraine and gaza. will it hurt me too much if I take 2 months sabatical or should i try to find another job asap?
>>
>>101807405
every month of missing investable income in your 20s is ~2 years of retirement money lost
fuck a ""sabbatical"" you homo, go get paid
>>
>>101807405
>will it hurt me too much if I take 2 months sabatical or should i try to find another job asap?
Doesn't really matter what you decide, it'll be like 3 years to find a job anyway
>>
>>101796457
Indians are a literal tumor on this society. What in the fuck.
>>
>>101807449
you sure want to burn the best ages of your life working your ass off for mr Shekelstein without some rest and living a little? I'm 30 already and I feel like I'm going crazy. I have money saved but to be honest I dont think that much about retirement, I'll probably kill myself before then
>>
>>101801864
If the course is Udemy they're probably only using Windows for broader appeal to get more students to buy the course.
>>
>>101807306

its not that bad what do you mean?

spain is comfy. good weather, good people, its only poor compared to western europe but wealthy in the context of the entire world, and standards of living are good, especially on 50k, but for most people too

>>101807313
sorry i didnt mean to offend you. didnt know this board was so normie as to use "racist" as an insult. but anyway sorry for insulting you
>>
>>101807313
fuck off Muhamed
>>
>>101807474
at least they're not muslims

in fact indians hate muslims. that makes them good in my book no matter how much they screw up in IT
>>
>>101807886
>good weather
lmao, nice cope bro. it’s like living in hell during the summer. every place near the sea is either infested with foreigners who have five times the buying power of the locals or people who are way poorer and ready to assault you. in the north everyday is cloudy and you freeze your balls off in the winter. the only thing we’re slightly good at is food, and even that is getting destroyed by all the sushi and burger places popping up. it's over
>>
>>101807910
nta but sri lanka is buddist, are you per chance a burger?
>>
>>101794106
I cheat by learning the material
>>
>>101807886
Aren't you forced to speak spanish?
>>
>>101808119
i am spanish

>>101808040
hay problemas obvio. los musulmanes, los precios de vivienda, el paro, el socialismo... pero bueno es algo que hay que aceptar porque no tenemos el control, y ponerlo en perspectiva. en la practica no es para tanto. aqui la gente vive bien. yo q se

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.