[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pms then.jpg (453 KB, 1170x1133)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
roastie product manager edition

>Interviewing
Neetcode 150: https://neetcode.io/practice
Tips and interview practice: https://blog.interviewing.io/

>How to write a resume
https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/11/25/how-to-write-an-effective-developer-resume-advice-from-a-hiring-manager/

>Salary Stuff
"What's your expected salary?": https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
Negotiation advice: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
Salary data: https://levels.fyi/

Don't disclose your current salary to recruiters.

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
https://www.youtube.com/@ContinuousDelivery
https://www.youtube.com/@EngineeringwithUtsav
https://www.youtube.com/@ByteByteGo (systems design at a high level)
https://www.youtube.com/@ycombinator (if you're doing a startup)
https://www.youtube.com/@hnasr (for studying backed architecture)

Previous thread: >>101759963
>>
I applied for two entry level IT jobs off glassdoor which is a lesser known website and I got no response back and its wednesday already. How long until I get a response back?
>>
I can't believe I used my pell grant on a WGU degree. 1000 applications and no job, I'm worthless
>>
File: jokeboat.jpg (86 KB, 1080x603)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>101775045
Back in my days we didn't have PRODUCT MANAGERS... we had products, ma niggers!
>>
>>101775127
no u did the right thing. an in person uni will waste far more time, u got to speed run a undergrad degree. just learn and do side projects until this recession disappears
>>
>>101775102
lol
>>
File: file.png (3.14 MB, 2190x1406)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB PNG
Is Canada over? Should I just use the mexican method and go to the usa?
>>
File: 1722585555928912.jpg (108 KB, 1170x1434)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
i have 4 years of experience and can't even get an entry level job
>>
>>101775261
SW Ontario is a weird place post-COVID
there are places that are so jeetified you struggle to find a white person and then there are places which are still basically all white and it changes by the block sometimes
>>
>>101775303
Is Alberta jeetified?
>>
>>101775295
I can't even nepotism my 5 yoe friend for an entry-mid level position and we ended up going with someone with 15 yoe.
It's insane how tight the market is right now, and we aren't even in a recession yet.
Pretty sure my friends gonna end up homeless or flipping burgers along with thousands of other experienced SEs. This profession is a joke.
>>
File: Marine Recruiter 2.png (450 KB, 1315x451)
450 KB
450 KB PNG
bros, how long should I wait before reapplying to (a different position in) a company I got rejected from?
Specifically I got rejected from AWS last week after a loop (I am quite sad about that because the team seemed really cool). Today I saw a posting for a position that I want. Is there anything wrong with applying this week? I mean I'm going to do it anyway but I heard that's bad for some reason.
Actually my friend's friend works at the office I'd be applying to, is there any reason not to ask him to refer me?

>>101775127
>>
>Can't get job in my field coz of jeet infestation
>Can't get job in other fields coz I don't have the right degree
>Can't get jobs that don't need a degree coz of massive competition
They need to install those euro suicide pods on the streets, just let me go already.
>>
>>101775384
really makes me think if we'd be in the same position had they not took a shotgun to the economy in 2020
>>
>>101775384
I'm legit thinking of joining an amazon warehouse while working out and then trying to become a cop, is that viable? Reason I don't apply atm is because I'm obese as fuck.
>>
my salary is 47000 as an entry level developer in an obscure not well known langauge. This is the only job I could get after like 800 applications.

live in texas.
>>
Bros...

How can I make the best possible transfer application from CC? I know about hackathons, but should I do IEEE competitions? Kaggle?

I will never get into MIT, CMU or Harvard, but it's still worth rolling that 0.86% dice roll. I am non-trad non-vet.
>>
>>101775428
Trump did what had to be done, as long as we elect him now he will be able to continue his plan and all will be well.
>>
>>101775447
Austin?
>>
>>101775453
whats a cc
>>
>>101775467
nah, it's a small college town.
>>
>>101775467
yes, how the fuck did you know
>>
>>101775470
promise me you wont kek? community college.

only realistic option considering im older, actually an advantage considering id have excess credits if I went back to my state uni and wouldnt be eligible for transfer. If I get my associates, it doesnt matter that I have done over a hundred credits, I will be able to transfer.
>>
>>101775447
I was in a similar situation ~10 years ago. You just have to find excuses to use other languages in your line of work. In my case I started using python and go to do some data processing/analysis that would take longer in the obscure lang I had to use. Are the skills you are using at least applicable to other languages?
>>
File: 1614382513393.jpg (64 KB, 719x688)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>101775384
I can't even get an interview WITH reliable employee referrals
>>
>>101775501
I have my hands full just trying to learn the obscure stuff I need for this job. It's PL/SQL. Hoping that the experience and employment as a developer is still valuable even though it's not like Java or C# at a startup
>>
>>101775561
My uncle is the co-founder of his company and couldn't get me an interview there...
>>
>have a 1 year gap due to health issues
>can't even get interviews and resorted to lying (still no interviews)
i'm going to fucking lose my mind. when i get back in i'm going to bleed these fucking companies dry and fuck up projects on the way out from a job hop
>>
>>101775446
Not a bad idea. Cops get pensions and badge bunny pussy.
Lots of cities are desperate for cops, you might even be able to get a waiver despite your obesity.
Just don't apply in cities with high melanin concentration because your life might actually be on the line.
>>
>>101775414
Always prefer a referral
>>
>>101775583
So no Memphis, right?
>>
>>101775462
I mean I guess... it definitely felt A LOT better finding a job while Trump was in office (pre-covaids)
>>
File: 1708185048345093.png (175 KB, 384x390)
175 KB
175 KB PNG
i'm going to get a simple remote desk job while i look for an actual job this shit is ridiculous and i need an income

any tips? SURELY they'll accept a former software dev... right?
>>
>>101775598
Isn't Memphis a race of fish human hybrids?
>>
>>101775624
>i'm going to get a simple remote desk job
H O W? Teach me your ways.
>>
>>101775564
Ehhh, that's not THAT obscure. The SQL portion will at least by very transferrable. If you find yourself struggling with something that is only tangential to the product that'd be the time to experiment with other tools. Just don't be the guy that says
>We need to rewrite the whole codebase in <fotm lang>
but when the situation calls for it you'll know.
>>
>>101775102
keep applying and if you can apply directly on the company website
>>
>>101775640
>apply directly on the company website
Hiring Manager here, as I told people here many times this doesn't matter, all apps go to our ATS, doesn't matter if you used our website, easy apply, indeed, or whatever. Then it ranks applications based on keywords, then I go through the top ones and pick a couple to interview.
>>
>>101775453
I feel like I knew people who did the 2-year transfer from CC to uni off of nothing but good grades. This was like a decade ago though. Has that system rot just like everything else now?
>>
>>101775649
well fuck
>>
>>101775681
yes of course, I have a pretty easy backdoor to a T30 CS uni for my state. But I want to aim higher, so I need to do crazy extracurriculars. Some unis require me to retake the SAT (I dont mind).
>>
>>101775681
the system hasnt rotted* I mean of course as in it's still very possible to get into a state flagship just by grades.
>>
>>101775705
but what's the point if there is no job after?
>>
Anyone here ever take a coding instructor job? Is it hard to teach kids?
>>
>>101775743
Gotta have ADHD brainrot to do that effectively
>>
>>101775759
Oh shit maybe I should accept the interview then, I have adhd.
>>
>>101775564
>>101775447
Feels weird to see someone call the language I work with daily obscure.
>>
who else got laid off today from cisco?
seems like its time to grind that leetcode again
>>
>>101775743
Teaching seems like a super rewarding job, but I don't think I could stand zoomers. Hearing kids say "erm... what the X" on loop would have me putting a gun in my mouth
>>
>>101775453
it might be easier just to get the bachelors from whatever local state college you have. Then you apply to the masters degree's these top colleges have after you study and pass with a high score on the GRE. Other than that contact the admissions offices at theses places and see what they need from you. It should be easier since your not a high school grad
>>
>>101775649
Not true for all places. Some postings on boards could be put up by 3rd parties or be expired postings for positions that aren't open. By going to the company website directly you know for a fact that your application will get seen by at least the hr.
>>
>>101775794
isn't that company moving to india at this point?
>>
Just finished a 4-year community college software development course and did two internships working with PHP, JavaScript, and Vue.js, plus a year as a part-time PHP backend dev. I'm burnt out on web shit, sóyscript and building glorified CRUD systems all day. Currently taking a 6-month break to focus on personal projects, self improvement and travelling but want to switch to embedded software engineering. I’ve done some basic Arduino projects but have little electronics experience. I’m thinking of enrolling in a uni of applied sciences in february to focus on embedded systems there. Any tips on making this transition? I live in an area with a strong maker industry (ASML and its suppliers are based here), so I figured embedded would be my best shot.
>>
>>101775743
I tutored in grad school. Great source of money that ranges from pretty fun at its best to holding back homicidal urges at its worst
>>
File: 1538847451436.png (440 KB, 600x600)
440 KB
440 KB PNG
>why do you want to work for us?
I don't. Go fuck yourself
>>
File: 1545363158084.jpg (742 KB, 2576x1312)
742 KB
742 KB JPG
>>101776141
Taking a 6 month break will turn into a 60 year break if your not careful. Your better off getting a job with embedded systems or a job that will pay for your masters degree in Computer Engineering where they will actually teach you embedded.
>>
>>101776184
Tell us a story.
>>
File: 20200831_204258.jpg (44 KB, 622x488)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>work at a research lab for ~3 years
>get a dozen or so patents in my name
>mostly named inventor, some co-inventor
>a few published papers too
>spruce up resume with flashy new achievements
>auto rejected from ~200 jobs that i'm MORE than qualified for
inb4 "overqualified" meme
i don't understand what the fuck companies want these days
if you suck too hard you get rejected
if you're too good you get rejected
are they just looking to keep vacant postings open to bring to daddy government to import more Jeets? i don't get it.
>>
>>101776764
Dude, me and a buddy of mine are able to wipe out 3 - 4 departments on our own and have everything running like butter. Still getting rejected left and right and told have zero experience. This market is a nepo market.
>>
>>101776764
What field?
>>
>>101776764
Overqualification isn't a thing. Just make your resume shittier. Stop listing things. Downplay others.
>>
>>101776845
telecom/computer networking
i'm also an upstream linux kernel contributor and have 3 endorsements from The Linux Foundation that are literally a stamp of approval that reads: "anon knows his shit around OS internals and can write C with his eyes closed"
this is on top of a CompE undergrad and a math masters
half the jobs rejecting me are just looking for a linux kernel maintainer, not even an active author
other half rejecting me are, you guessed it, telecom and/or networking shops
what the fuck, man
>>
>>101776764
research doesn't qualify you for engineering work
>>
I need to a new job. I got "DevOps" skills like Docker, Kubernetes, setting up CI/CD pipelines and all that dumb shit.

What job titles do I even search?
>>
>>101776892
lol lmao i have 8 years of product development experience prior to the research gig, including being a team lead and sweng manager
eat shit NEETo
>>
>>101776902
>I got "DevOps" skills
>What job titles do I even search?
>>
>>101776845
He is a Starbucks barista engineer. A key developer in mixology, ecology, and fecal waste removal from coffee flavored milkshakes.
Key inventions
-Trash collection and waste receptacle liner replacement
-Semi-conductor clean room quality counter tops, sink and cabinet handles
-He is able to discuss with investors, shareholders and consumers the value of the drinks being presented in corporate environments and the investments being made in advanced high status elevation at all events when the product is present.
-He is able to discuss with the Starbucks lord the value of reinvestments into the captain earnings of employees and has awarded him and his team a staggering .15cent raise year on year, beating inflation and the competition.
>>
File: 1656052055153.jpg (813 KB, 1200x996)
813 KB
813 KB JPG
>>101776886
Go apply for government research firms. You'll be getting paid at the very least 200k$ a year with benefits and permanent job security.
>>
>>101777006
the thing is my current research position is a privately held non-profit
and all the glowie shops want PhDs with a squeaky clean background check + security clearance
i really don't want to hand over the keys of my life to feds just to make a quick buck
>>
>>101777070
Yeah PhD requirement is a fucking meme anyways. You are a good example of why that is a waste of time since a masters degree teaches you how to preform plenty of research without being a slave to a research lab like a PhD holder would be.

Have you even tried to apply to FAGMAN positions?

For networking / telecom / server - Change it from author to admin for linux. Then get redhat linux certification, CCNA, Security+ and CCNP at the end and you should have no problems getting jobs.
>>
what is the most resume friendly way to explain that I am the go-to person for any outage or other emergency even for shit I did not write. I am the only person who can successfully go from shit like profiling memory usage on a live service to a code change that fixes a memory leak so we don't have to restart the shit multiple times a day, despite me dragging along other developers to try to show them the techniques I use to fix issues like this. Do I just briefly summarize a time I fixed something like that? Is that even worth putting on a resume compared to just talking about shiny new shit I crammed into our app? I feel like this saves/makes us more money by customer retention when our shit isn't broken all the time than any new feature does, but I don't often see things like this mentioned on resumes.
>>
>>101777100
I would assume "author of Linux kernel" implies that I can do ape-tier sysadmin shit, but maybe you're onto something. HR people aren't the brightest at connecting dots after all
>>
>>101777108
It's difficult to quantify this type of experience on a resume because 99% of HR people who will see it are 75 IQ moutbreathers who cannot into hypotheticals.

It seems obvious to you and I that a person who is the go-to generalist at a company for problems and features of a wide breadth implies that you'd be a good engineer anywhere

but the HR roastie reading your resume is just a box-checker: Oh, no 7 years of C#? Rejected.

honestly. i'd try to just form good relationships with your coworkers and leverage references.
>>
>>101777108
There's no way you'll get that kind of nuance across in a resume, and most interviews aren't even going to touch on it. Unless you're applying for very particular roles there's a good chance you get interviewers who haven't even used a language which allows memory leaks.
>>
>>101777108
Managers don't care about performance in that way. If restarting the application even every few hours will keep the dev monkies working on new features they'll opt for that instead. Unless your fixes save a substantial amout of money that you can quantify I wouldn't focus on that.
>>
>>101777130
Keywords here is what matters. Besides why are you not applying to programming positions if your a author?

Key to resume writing shit for IT is that it does not hurt to have more than 1 page I have seen people get hired all the time with 3 pages filled with tons of shit that they did.

To further get around the auto reject you need to setup your resume to have as a list.

>Tech worked on (hardware/software explicitly listed)
>How did you manage/maintain/fix the problems with this system
>What was the impact upon the company

It's not perfect but it is often what I see in other peoples resumes.
>>
>>101777209
I will add self education can also be setup that way but you will just call that section of experience Homelab's and most IT engineering is filtering to find shit like that so they can get people that actually give a shit about the job. I have shit on there that I learned on my own just incase.
>>
>>101776764
>if you suck too hard you get rejected
>if you're too good you get rejected
They want a goldilocks candidate that is not too stupid to follow instructions and not too smart to start asking questions. And the latter would also imply higher salary, which they don't want either.
>>
>>101777396
well then the entire field is a race to the bottom
shame i was born so late and didn't get to capitalize on the golden age of software circa 1998-2018
>>
>>101777453
>well then the entire field is a race to the bottom
It has been since the industry started outsourcing work to jeets.
>golden age of software circa 1998-2018
I would say 1990 to 2010. Around 2010 you started to see the trend of work being outsourced to shit hole countries that work for a pittance. It started with the low hanging fruit brainlet jobs, tech support, then web dev, now systems programming are feeling it to. I think highly technical programming jobs in C and C++ is still good. Also government jobs.
>>
File: Infranty.png (118 KB, 3706x1094)
118 KB
118 KB PNG
>>101776764
>AHHHH GEEEZEEE DUDE.
>That sucks but can you do me a favor and sign this paper.
>No you don't want this job but its all we got man.
>GEEZE man I know you have this fancy degree and made some gay ass corn kernel changes but my doctor says corn isn't good for the colon so imma have to advise you a better job then signals, those egg heads probably never heard of no Chinese Linux bullshit you worked on and we can't trust you with anything more than a rifle now.
>DUDE MAN can you sign this document I got people who actually want to be here instead of trying to collect there welfare check. I also need to see my wife after my 16 hour shift to give her more unprotected sex in our camper van by the JCPenny parking lot.
>>
So am I basically doomed to not enter this field for another 10 years? I dropped out of half a CS degree with no internships. No other relevent work experience and I can't go back to school until my loans are paid off.
>>
If you can’t get a job it means you’re not good enough, especially if you have years of solid experience, end of discussion. Newsflash, your job isn’t to be a really good programmer, it’s to be able to get things accomplished. The fact you can’t get a job is proof you’re not that good at accomplishing things, which is proof you’re not good enough to get a job which involves accomplishing things.
>>
>>101777567
>C and C++ is still good
+1. Only once have I had to deal with some foreign retard who was obviously chatgpting all their C. The fun part was chatgpting my response explaining all of the issues with the code.
>>
>>101775462
LMFAOOOO
No matter who presides over the executive branch of government in the USA, things will remain terrible across the world until the public forces change for the better. This has to be bait.
>>
>>101775453
You don't need projects or anything to transfer into a top 50 state school from a community college, it's literally just grades, stop letting job interviews rot your brain
>>
File: 1719880534917019.png (356 KB, 618x1003)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
Anyone else get a six figure job and end up sitting on all your money because you still live like a neet?
>>
>>101778131
I only keep sat on it until I reached 18 months of savings to cover shit. The rest is going towards investments and my house. I am absolutely living like I am 19 but instead of half of that measly amount of money I had then going to a car payment its now going towards steak and expensive alcohol
>>
>>101775045
please tell me you WFH chads use VLANs of you run any type of services (torrents or other)
>>
>>101778131
Pretty much. My 401 contribution is set to 10% and I have plenty in savings. I do spend a decent amount on food delivery because I don't like cooking. That's my only bad habit, though.
>>
>>101778178
You mean VPN's ? or are you using VLANS for QOS?
>>
>>101778178
idk what a vlan is and dont care.
>>
>>101778131
I have 200k and 3 weeks of vacation saved up and no idea what to do with it
>>
>>101776764
>i don't understand what the fuck companies want these days
they want to survive the recession
>>
>>101778131
ye. i spent the first 10 years of my career maxing out my 401k (pretax limit with company match, aftertax megabackdoor limit), hitting the limit on the roth ira backdoor, and never sold any of my equity while living on <50k and investing the rest in s&p 500. it was fun to optimize and theres just nothing i want to buy. i think itll be really funny when i die and my siblings see how much money i was just sitting on.
>>
>>101775624
I think being a dev is actually a detriment in many cases. The natural assumption is you are taking the job out of desperation (which is true) and that not only are you willing but able to bounce as soon as the economy is back. Hard to control such an upwardly mobile wage slave. I think most companies would prefer someone they could victimize a bit more.
>>
>>101778198
I mean VLAN, silly

You dont want your work or the "anti" virus software going through your LAN, do you?
>>
File: linux_pepe.png (29 KB, 250x250)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
i have to choose my first full time job, and i am unsure what to take.
job 1
>startup
>own product
>target customer is defense/military, noone else
>Cpp and related tech

job 2
>Splunk (very widespread technology)
>installing/maintaining this for various clients
>DevOps stuff
>kubernetes, python
>customers are big corporations, everybody uses splunk and related shit

my concern with the startup is that the skillset i would aquire there is more niche
everybody uses splunk and will be in the next years, so there its easy to switch jobs and even countries
>>
>>101778606
I think you're overestimating how much anyone gives a fuck about Splunk. You obviously didn't feel the need to type (very widespread technology) for any other tech you listed. If you're young I'm assuming you just bought the BS the recruiter was selling.
I think you should pick whichever one sounds more enjoyable. They both sound differing in every possible dimension. Different stage of company, different amount of expected ownership from you, different tech.
>>
File: 1592124789729.jpg (310 KB, 1600x1150)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>101778501
Go read some books silly goose

https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Guide-Comprehensive-Illustrated-Protocols/dp/159327047X

https://www.amazon.com/Routing-TCP-IP-1-2nd/dp/1587052024

https://www.amazon.com/Routing-TCP-IP-Professional-Development/dp/1587054701
>>
>>101778690
fair point.
overall i feel like job 2 is gonna have more "mainstream" tech, where it would be easier to switch, but maybe i am underestimating the number of Cpp jobs.
And yea you are right about the different in every dimension part.
>>
Give it to me straight, how bad is the job market now.
>>
>>101778131
six figures is median salary and barely comfy if you live alone
t. straya
>>
>>101778801
2018 aussie prices is now american prices for everything.
>>
>>101776842
>and told have zero experience
wut
>>
>>101777070
why is ur research lab a nonprofit? very weird business model
>>
>>101777130
fun fact: the company conrad does not have a HR

if I ever run company, I wont make HR review resumes. they are useless keyword monkeys
>>
>>101778935
tax free and open source.
>>
>>101777108
how did u learn suck l77t skillz
>>
>>101778946
who they get money from
>>
>>101776764
>>get a dozen or so patents in my name
I thought the point of patenting shit was to make money

>>101776886
>i'm also an upstream linux kernel contributor
Not even kernel devs get jobs? Have you tried asking around? Shit must be really bad...
>>
>>101776886
i work for <big network company> that sells shit to telecom and its rough, there's a huge slowdown and no one is hiring. numbers/sales are supposed to be way up because of selling to AI datacenters but at least for my company that's not really hitting as expected.

>work in canadian office of us company
>90% of office is indian
>70+% from the us on non-renewed h1bs or other immigration issues

just be thankful you arent canadian. if/when i get laid off i'm going to be in so much fucking trouble i will never get a job. impossible to compete with indians that hire more indians that hire more indians
>>
>>101777108
you sound like a self-fellating bitch but i would write this as
>senior on-call specialist for critical services that require specialized uptime
>can analyze, debug and fix critical applications with minimal or no service interruption

though if i was interviewing you i would just write why arent you running your services in an environment that'll just oom kill your service after a threshold and reboot it, like kubernetes
>>
>>101752447
i dont even care about getting ahead in life at this point. i just want a comfy 9-5 job that requires the minimal amount of extra learning
>>
>>101778767
I don't even think the tech is that important. I think the more important thing is that it's experience at a company people will recognize. Unless a startup is successful (and relatively few are) then no one will even acknowledge it.
Also, startups are just kind of wildcards. You could be expected to work 24/7 and have retarded leadership. Both of these things can be true at any company, but it'll be much more rare at established companies.
>>
Someone made a living and survived for 10+ years with a resume that looks like this

Should i just be a youtuber at this point? I keep seeing self help channels popping left and right. Minimum editing, cheap mic, they just sit at their car at some empty park and yap whatever goes in their head.

https://youtu.be/ncbSlhUdUwY?si=uv754AplDqpPiuKj
>>
>>101779006
It's crazy how one country can spew out literal billions of retards which just spread out and infect the rest of the globe, and western culture still pretends it's okay. There's nowhere you can even run from this shit
>>
which sector and job roles has the least indians?
>>
When we all die and go to the afterlife, we will create competition and profit out of heaven and hell. Nobody wants to be perceived as losers. Heaven has 7 stages and hell has 7 stages too. Someone in the bottom will always be jealous at someone at the top.
>>
File: 1593767236191.jpg (197 KB, 960x540)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>101779214
>>
>>101779214
my defense contractor only has a couple and they haven't infiltrated management yet, it's still all mediocre whites
>>
>>101779225
>have to let glowniggers scour my ass just to get a job to avoid stinkjeets
>>
>>101779238
Maybe that's specifically what they're making sure you won't do.
>>
>>101779225
I got mostly japs, chinks and SEA asians. Way less Philippians than the rest of the military. I think those people normally go navy and marines.
>>
>>101779238
yup
granted i post about hating niggers, women, nonwhites and jews all day long and somehow still haven't got a knock on my door
>>
>>101779253
Everyone is racist in the government openly even in the office if you haven't been paying attention. All of the prior military attitude just carries over. Almost everyone I work with are on 4chan probably right now. It might even be you.
>>
>>101779214
glownigga here, we have one indian but he's second gen, no FOB son of a gun
>>
>>101779086
NTA but if there are latency requirements and the leakage is slow then I think the latency could degrade arbitrarily before the kubelet gets pissed. (Not that I'm disagreeing with k8s as a whole or defending people just leaving memory leaks when they could just find and fix that shit.)
>>
>>101779319
>>101779278
tap the sign
>>
File: 103.png (185 KB, 720x533)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
need golem gf
>>
>working hybrid, 2 days in office, monday + any day you want
>arrive today
>no one here except manager
>whose desk is located with a perfect view of mine
at least no one is sitting close to me so i can fart
>>
>>101778796
tbf the unemployed are going to post a lot more online than ppl who have jobs
I would say CS is no longer the golden ticket regardless, I know a lot more people getting mediocre 70-90k/y jobs in MCOL out of school
>>
>>101779225
How do I get into defense as an American? Just get a BS CS and apply? I have 3 years of experience with proprietary bullshit as a dev
>>
>>101779571
see
>>101777616
>>
>>101779571
>How do I get into defense as an American?
Send a tenderly written note to the CEO expressing your interest and sprinkle some baby powder on it in case the message travels through any rainy weather to keep it dry. I heard execs don't want to give the impression of babies or being babylike, so unscented talcum powder would be your best bet.
>>
>>101779571
yeah you just need a bs, you can't be picky at first but once you have an active clearance you have more leeway to job hop even if it isn't for a classified military program. my big employer is doing schizophrenic cycles of hiring rushes and hiring freezes right now but idk if the whole industry is doing it.
>>
>>101779622
The whole industry is doing hiring rushes and freezes unfortunately
Does defense care much about specific exp? Say it's a C job can I just say I'm willing to learn it and have used it in school?
>>
>>101779646
>Does defense care much about specific exp? Say it's a C job can I just say I'm willing to learn it and have used it in school?
Or just write that you know it and not have them eyeball you like you're a contextually blind tard
>>
>>101779652
Honestly yeah I could just write I know it and learn the basics within 2 weeks and say I only did it a bit at my job if they really pry during the interview, which would be mostly true
>>
>>101776141
>Just finished a 4-year community college software development course
why it took you 4 years in CC?
most people who went to CC done in 2 years
>>
>>101779659
alot of CC's have bachelors degrees now.
>>
>>101779667
wtf really? cool if so
>>
>>101775414
Amazon has a 6 month cooldown for them to reconsider you after getting rejected. Their recruiters have reached out to me after less time than that, just for them to cancel everything once they looked up my candidate profile *after* spending half an hour trying to sell me on their position.
>>
I've been writing all my code with ChatGPT at my job. Still not fired after a year. AMA
>>
>>101779710
Only for you to get rejected again after the allotted time passes, right?

Amazon is fraudulent. Why on god's green earth anyone take that hit on lifestyle and psychological abuse is beyond me
>>
>>101779710
There turnover rate is worse then helpdesk. Imagine having a job at amazon for a year and realizing your the only one that's been there the longest.
>>
>>101779767
I don't understand how companies get anything done with an average tenure less than 2-3 years
Where I work you're just starting to understand the 10m+ line code base and customer workflows
>>
>>101779767
I’ve been here for 3 years now and I’m a literal millionaire lmao
>>
>>101779856
Based on TC I assume? You must have either went in with experience or had a good RSU package, right?

Congrats on passing the 1yr culling
>>
>>101775323
Not quite as bad but fuck off we're full. Already the price of housing is going up faster than my savings are, I don't care if you're pure a10 vampire tier white, idiots like you couldn't fix your own damn problems. Don't come here and fuck us up and leech off of our own hard work while we deal with our problems.
WE ARE FUCKING FULL
>>
>>101779923
Anon, I'm on the way - hold the door for me!
>>
>>101779940
This! Redeem saar! Good Morning!
>>
I am lost and looking for free certifications to specialize in an area, but unfortunately, I can't find any
>>
>>101779975
>I am lost and looking for free certifications to specialize in an area, but unfortunately, I can't find any
What area? Whatever the case, look harder. They're there.
>>
>>101779975
What area? Or are you completely lost? There are ZERO free things in life. Go beg on the street.

You could just put shit you learned on your resume and find out if you get hired for it. Homelabs is a section that us IT bros put in our resumes.
>>
File: 1723041763604450.png (124 KB, 1150x286)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>>101779923
>>
>>101779992
>>101779989
I would like to specialize in backend development and eventually work with machine learning, but it might be very difficult to find a job in this area without some experience first. I am lost because I don’t know what to study to specialize in backend development
>>
>>101780048
https://github.com/ossu/computer-science?tab=readme-ov-file#contents

https://github.com/P1xt/p1xt-guides

You can put this shit on your resume but get the CS degree if you really want to be a programmer.
>>
>>101780048
There are no certificates for backend dev. Learn:
Operating systems
Networking
Compilers
Data processing
(Roughly in that order)
>>
>>101779904
Just SDE2, like 7 years of experience before joining, typical offer did not negotiate. It can be worth it depending on a lot of factors. Most of the horror stories you hear are from people that just aren’t good enough, either technically or in terms of soft skills. That’s not to say they’re bad people (in fact they could be rockstar developers at other companies), it’s just many teams are a dumpster fire by most devs’ standards, high technical and political complexity, high expectations, and little guidance. It takes a special kind of person to make it work here, but if that’s you, it can be a good place to be.
>>
>>101780064
>>101780068
Thank you very much, anons, I love you. These two github links will help me a lot
>>101780068
I will follow this study plan and combine it with the github links.
>>
>>101779710
Yeah I've heard this but it's a massive company, I imagine it differs from situation to situation. This interview was four months after I got rejected the last time actually. Though that time I had no time to prepare and had no idea what I was doing so I didn't even make it through the first interview. (I mean I made it past the recruiter phone screen of course, just not the first real interview.) I don't know if that had something to do with it.

>>101779856
I've been seriously applying for almost a year and I'm going to start crying lmao
>>
>>101775251
it will never disappear
>>
In the previous thread someone said data science was easier than dev. How is that possible? Understanding programming is easier than understanding machine learning and high level statistics.
>>
>>101779552
It was bound to happen eventually. Way too many people seeing instagram posts about "GET A REMOTE 400k/YEAR JOB JUST TO PROGRAM?? LEARN TO PROGRAM TODAY AT MY BOOTCAMP!!"
>>
>>101780140
I just broke into tech. I'm capable and would love to work at Amazon one day, but the dumpster fire situation worries me. My current company is incredibly disorganized in the sense that it feels like a chose your own adventure game in many ways. Sometimes it's great cause I get to work on really complex problems and get rewarded, but the domain is equal in breadth and depth, so I struggle here. Alot. I imagine if the engineering problems are at least on fire or mostly clearly inefficient I'd do fine there. Welp, more experience first. I don't like being rejected. Graduated in 2022 to the worst of the layoffs. Not going searching just yet.
>>
>>101780315
It's interesting how when you see a bunch of retards buying into some bullshit in old media - or even in some reputable, legitimate account of history - it's almost comedic how easily people buy into hype. In hindsight the Gold Rush was obviously a huge gamble and they had no way of knowing it wasn't a big hoax.
If society makes it another 100 years they're gonna think the same shit about the tech industry.
>>
>>101780416
I think it's fine. Tech obviously dominates the entire world economy and will continue to do so, and I think insta reels have shifted to "POV: you're a CS major and you graduate in 3 months (IM SO COOKED)" so I expect it to get better.
>>
>>101780426
Basic market correction. Will also send many visa redeemers back to their respective countries which is good for the citizens.
>>
>>101779711
In third world everyone uses chatgpt
>>
I think the smart money is on energy, not tech.
>>
>>101779552
A 70-90k/y jobs is not mediocre dumbfuck
>>
>>101780470
The bar for entry for tech is far far lower. Also less gatekeeping than in energy.
>>
>>101780373
Everywhere's a dumpster fire, kid. If AMZN (or any company) gives you an offer and the money's good, take it. Just don't sign a fucked up contract and don't identify with a shitty environment. Work sucks? Coworkers suck? Company is obviously about to layoff a ton of people? So it goes. As long as that money keeps showing up in your bank account you'll be fine.
And if they do lay you off, lie on your resume and say you were one higher level than you were. Fuck 'em.
>>
File: GUXqCdMXwAACMEN.jpg (8 KB, 168x162)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>finish my final project in June
>did my defense in July
>still have to deal with administration and paperwork bullshit for august
>graduation ceremony will be on November

My parents want me to get a job right away but I'm just starting to do some leetcode again. How do i tell them that I'm unlikely to get a job at least until March 2025? What can i do in the meantime to make money?
>>
>>101780500
Just don't frame it as an individual failing. Surely they recognize the whole economy is fucked. Keep doing your practice and applying.
>>
File: 1649476609285.jpg (307 KB, 976x850)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
I'm getting soft fired
>boss calls me in to the office
>"ummm hey anon would you like to do [project completely unrelated to your duties]" (I need a convenient fuckup to blame you for)
>"I know its not really your thing but it would help free up resources for [unrelated thing] and look good on your eval" (I'll try to guilt trip you into it so it looks like it was your idea)
>"if you decide it's not your thing just come talk to me and we'll work something out" (this is a fucking trap and if you turn it down or try to say no later you're getting fucked)
>"let me know what you think by tomorrow okay :)"
>>
>>101780517
Last train to get a job departs at 30th August. I dunno man, this has been a challenging year and i just want to spend a week or two resting and go out doing bike rides instead of jumping into job hunting right away.

I think i might have to go outside the house more often. Being stuck at home for the last 4 years was agonizing.
>>
>>101780482
It is mediocre compared to what the software engineering industry previously offered
At this point you could become an accountant and get similar TC with less effort than below median devs
I get your parents were probably poor and worked retail/food service like mine but that doesn't mean the software industry doesn't have declining (real) wages
>>
>>101780482
Bro that is specialized IT work just barely above helpdesk. If you think software engineering pay is still great you need to remember they were getting 200-300k for entry level with just a bachelors degree just 15 years ago. And For IT the ball has dropped even further 15 years ago you were getting 70-90k for entry level now you getting 30k.
>>
>>101780487
>Everywhere's a dumpster fire, kid. If AMZN (or any company) gives you an offer and the money's good, take it. Just don't sign a fucked up contract and don't identify with a shitty environment. Work sucks? Coworkers suck? Company is obviously about to layoff a ton of people? So it goes. As long as that money keeps showing up in your bank account you'll be fine.
>And if they do lay you off, lie on your resume and say you were one higher level than you were. Fuck 'em.
I like you. I'll think about you when I'm shorting AMZN in a few months.
>>
>>101780541
What do you mean last train? Like they're kicking you out? And a job search has a lot of time where you just wait for responses. Do what you gotta but I'd bias for at least getting initial applications out before you take some time to yourself.
>>
>>101780530
Don't reply and see if you can gaslight/triangulate boss against another boss.
Start applying
>>
Unrelated to present discussion, but can someone post the wojack dickhead that busts in his own mouth? I think that one best captures my PM's state of being.
>>
File: 1621809595940.jpg (258 KB, 850x850)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>101780623
No
>>
File: 3v8vxf.jpg (14 KB, 222x250)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>101780623
>if I was in your position when I started here I'd be a billionaire by now
>cant into SQL
>can't even onboard employees effectively
>>
>>101780577
Yeah, the barometer for an industry losing it's luster is not whether you make more than a mcdonalds assistant manager, it's whether the effort put in pays off. At this point I think dev seems way harder than data science, accounting, etc. and have trouble recommending the profession. They also don't have to put up with shit like leetcode. I can handle it rn in my 20s but if I were in my 30s doing leetcode I'd wanna kms. Saw a video of a principal engineer from Amazon doing a leetcode easy and he fucked up multiple times.
>>
>>101780748
FWIW at that level you can get away with fucking up your coding as long as you nail the system design. But it's bullshit regardless
>>
>>101780827
Why the fuck are these people being paid so much
>>
would a 4 day work week solve your unhappiness at work?
>>
File: 1707369538232967.gif (2.58 MB, 415x360)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB GIF
>>101780841
Less people, more output, more skill required.

In the grand scheme of things the profit margins are higher so scalping colleges for CS degrees was required to get any talent from a big uni or even just a state school. Not to mention 60% of people that apply for CS fail due to the math requirements that rear its ugly head in for AI/ML/LLM and other shit like EE makes it way harder to get college graduates to finish there degree since you never know what they really need at the end of the pipeline.
>>
>>101780852
Nah, because people just use your absence to fling bullshit on your plate without you being present to object
>>
>>101780827
My point is the interview process is already cancer and I imagine given time it will only get progressively worse, and as you get older you're not going to want to tolerate it
>>
>>101780530
>"ummm hey anon would you like to do [project completely unrelated to your duties]"
"No."

Was that so hard?
>>
>>101780852
I don't think I will ever be happy at work, but that would go a long way toward making me less pissed off, yes.
I did 4 10s in the fucking military, I just figured all the private companies now were doing something like that too. But I separated, got a job, and they're like nah we do 8-4 Monday through Friday lmao. I'm like well we're not customer-facing, can I just go ahead and do 4 10s? "noooooooooooooo all our super important scrum meetings are on Friday lmao go fuck yourself"
>>
>>101780901
lol airforce retard here we were doing 5x12's and by the time i went to a regular unit we were doing 5x9's. Shit felt like a cake walk.

Work doesn't matter planning your day and getting paid for the work you do matters most. IT matters more that you have a life after work.
>>
>>101780867
You're right. I'm one of those people. I'm in my 30s and extremely specialized and I'm not trying to waste my time on leetcode and then have some tard ask me how to do dynamic programming or balance a binary tree. It's funny when companies I was previously at (for considerable spans of time and as a high-performer) reach out to try and recruit me back, and then insist that I absolutely super duper must go through interviews. Complete bureaucratic retardation. My last two jobs have been purely through connections and at this point in my life I'm lucky enough that I can just keep doing things this way.
>>
>>101780748
Could be worse you could be a diesel mechanic or work in the oil industry. Then you risk death for the same pay and have constant problems at work and fights between crews when shift change happens. That is an industry that has fallen hardcore with pay advances. Back in 2000's the pay was great but now its garbage. LwEeAERN TOOO CODE makes more sense now.
>>
>>101780935
>we were doing 5x12's
Brutal. Did they at least reward you with SkillBridge?
>>
>>101780986
Honestly I'm 25 and at this point I'm considering going into a govt job and coasting because I don't think I'm made to keep up FAANG style bullshit for more than 5 years
>>
>>101781025
The fuck is skillbridge? We worked until we moved on the last day of our PCS, and we worked until the last 3 days of our our out-processing of the military.

Deployed in place location maximum glowie real shit.
>>
>>101781025
Also denied terminal leave it was that bad. AF was going through a cut and it left us with the most manning that we could not spare to lose.
>>
>>101781054
I don't know, govt work sounds like a good way to go from fed-up to depressed. Keep an eye out for startups and medium-sized tech companies (once the market is better). Experience in big tech will get you at least a glance pretty much anywhere and their interview processes are moderately better (just 1-2 and it's usually questions that are directly relevant to their business rather than some spin-the-wheel bullshit). It's still unenjoyable but it at least feels like they're checking your credentials how they should be and not just going through motions they don't understand the point of.
>>
>>101780852
no because it's a more complicated issue
though a reduction in work week is needed, either 6 hours or 4 days so you can actually have a life, fuck kikes
>>
File: think.jpg (317 KB, 2048x2043)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
I may have two job offers coming my way after a few weeks of interviewing

One seems like a complete cowboy startup with no CI/CD or processes and everyone in different timezones. The other is also a startup but the CEO is a woman, and that's a massive red flag. Both have customers and seem to be doing ok (for now)

Which of these do I choose?
>>
>>101781054
Gov is pretty comfy tbdesu, safe salary pending gov of the day upending your department, move slow, easy to move around
State gov pays better than fed in my cunt but all the interesting work is in fed
>>
>>101781172
Only do the first if the eng seem competent. CI/CD and processes are great, but the real value of those things is wrangling of shitters at scale. If you get a couple great devs who work well together and they're going to knock it out of the park even if they don't have a lot of time to invest in infra. But if they're incompetent you might find yourself in an argument with them one day where they think that shit has no value for anyone ever. I guess you could just plainly ask why they don't have that shit and hope their answer is "haven't had the time". If they're not competent, the latter. Gender disparities are just a distribution. Plenty of good female CEOs out there. I'd still take a maybe-dummy over confirmed ones.
>>
File: F5HfyifXUAAOF0i.png (201 KB, 861x877)
201 KB
201 KB PNG
The only work I've done today is turn the mouse jiggler on.
>>
File: 1692313707126971.jpg (105 KB, 1024x1024)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>101781219
Its all fucking boring you are not missing shit either way. Just get a job that pays more has has good stability for your location and you should be fine.
>>
>>101780597
would it be too late if i start making my CV and resume a bit later on 1st week of september? no, my parents aren't kicking me out but they both value their social status so much. if i'm not making money and help with electric bill at least before my 24th birthday in may 2025, i might as well commit seppuku
>>
File: 1691814696709220.jpg (132 KB, 960x720)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>101781354
https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-jobs
>>
>>101781384
i'm a SEAnigger sadly.
>>
>>101781394
UKRI and RU got jobs lined up for you regardless of your actual politics.
>>
>>101781354
It's not a matter of "too late", like I'm not saying the gap matters. My point is just that a job search is mostly waiting. You notice all the fuckers who post here about their hundreds of applications and how they finally heard next steps from a couple like a month later? You could be using THAT month to chill
>>
>>101781415
no i mean i'm not american lol

>>101781416
right right... i know. maybe i'll start applying on 3rd and 4th week of september. i'm gonna apply to 10 jobs every week until my graduation.

even on those chill period of waiting other than leetcode and studying some tutorials, i still have to find some kind of income.
>>
>>101781446
you need to apply to 50 jobs every day. The market is bad for everyone.
>>
>>101781463
do i have to tailor my CV and resume to every job? i'm only looking for QA and front end positions btw, i don't mind if it's full time or internship.
>>
>>101781480
nta but nah. you should try to appear as relevant to any given role as possible but def reuse shit there you can
>>
File: cat.jpg (125 KB, 826x871)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Took an amazon online assesment for a graduate developer position.

The second code problem was so fucking difficult I had to bite the bullet and use ChatGPT on my laptop to solve it, and the solution it gave me was too slow. I asked for a more efficient solution and it gave me some weird fucking bitwise index arithmetic approach for max efficiency that absolutely NO FUCKING FRESH GRADUATE WILL EVER KNOW.

What the fuck happened to these online assessments? Has the arms race between leetcode autists and FAANG companies made it fucking impossible for normal people to not get immediately filtered?
>>
>>101781525
Give it 2 years and they will be looking for down syndrome kids willing to work for .50cents an hour.
>>
>>101781525
That's exactly what happened. Industry found one remotely decent way (still caca obv) of interviewing for the role and the whole would min-maxed that one particular thing instead of actually becoming better developers because... why bother with the latter? Even in industry it's been a legitimate strategy for the last decade+ to just grind leetcode and do diagonal jumps instead of going through hellish promo processes
>>
>>101781172
never be in a place bad enough to put a woman in charge
>>
>>101780204
bump
>>
File: comfy2.png (1.93 MB, 1875x1172)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB PNG
anyone else still in bed? about to finish my third meeting. i think if i didnt have wfh i would have killed myself years ago.
>>
good day today
>>
Life fucking sucks and i hate it!!!! I just wanna fucking stay inside and read comics and play games!!!!
>>
File: gato amaldiçoado.gif (2.76 MB, 640x604)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB GIF
I passed an interview process and already signed the contract. The problem is that the start date is only in November. I won't receive any salary until December.
I have some money I can use to pay my shit until December. The thing is, what if the company What if the company withdraws from the contract? Technically they could fire me right from the start, since there is a probation period.
My fear is that I will spend my emergency fund and when November arrives they will say that the job position has been withdrawn. I would have spent my emergency fund and would need to start looking for a job again. Which would take a few more months until I go through the entire process, get hired and receive my first salary. Damn, I hate being a wageslave.
>>
Can you imagine how terrible the work environment is behind the scenes of the Kambala campaign? Neurotic aging single female millennials, a cabal of catty homosexuals, token race baiting opportunists - what a nightmare!
>>
>>101782258
in a parallel universe she is someones scrum master
>>
>>101781965
it's alright, they take so long to even interview; I doubt they're just going to withdraw unless some kind of unprecedented economic downturn happens within Q3-Q4, you'll probably keep your job. Just relax.

Seriously, can you go to the doctor and get a gabapentin prescription? stop fucking worrying so much.
>>
>>101781921
Why haven't you grown up? You need responsibility.
>>
>>101782461
Responsibility to who??? Why cant i just be like those gamedevs and youtubers and make money doing the things i want???
>>
>>101782469
>responsibility to who
your family, your girlfriend, your friends, but most importantly 80% goes to you and the maintenance of what you want to be. your living standards.
>make money
yeah this is good goal
>game dev
oversaturated and high turnover, you can try
>youtuber
0.2% chance of success.

do the work and the take the risk or take lower risk for something stable but hard.
>>
>>101782484
>oy why wont you just wage and die already!?
>>
File: 1717705959647064.gif (116 KB, 728x638)
116 KB
116 KB GIF
>>101782538
>My lack of prospects in life is actually because of the jews
>>
>>101775598
Get a job in the pyramid, there's gotta be openings
>>
>>101779659
>>101779667
>>101779673
It's like a europoor equivalent to community college, not exactly the same, also no bachelors
>>
File: cover6.jpg (403 KB, 1920x1080)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>101781921
>>101782469
Sitting at home reading comics and playing games, you're just numbing and distracting yourself with simulacra of real achievement. You play the game because it makes you feel like you're accomplishing something or overcoming challenge when there are no real stakes. You read comics to see characters be heroic while you do nothing.

You choose comfort and distraction to try to stave off suffering, but ultimately you just choose a different type of suffering. Life is suffering and the only thing that assuages it is having something more important than yourself to attend to, that's probably the main thing that separates a child from an adult. A family, a business of your own, or some ideological cause, everyone ends up with something to care about. The last one is probably the least fulfilling because railing against the state of the world while you can't even attend to the dirty dishes in your own sink is clearly just another form of avoidance and distraction. People delude themselves into thinking it's easier to change the world than it is to change themselves.

So go get a job or start a gutter cleaning business, become a useful person, find a big titted redhead, marry her, get her pregnant, have her breast milk in your morning coffee.

And then... things will still happen, discomfort and turmoil and suffering and sadness will still find you, but maybe sometimes you can be happy, and you'll know that it's all worthwhile.
>>
>>101782945
>So go get a job or start a gutter cleaning business, become a useful person, find a big titted redhead, marry her, get her pregnant, have her breast milk in your morning coffee.

Why are you spreading your delusions to poor anon? You know none of these things will happen.
The best you can hope for with a mediocre job is just keeping yourself afloat. Anon isn't going to achieve shit, isn't going to marry and probably isn't going to own their own place depending on what wealth he's starting out with. Life is suffering and work is necessary but you can keep your delusional platitudes to yourself.
>>
>>101782945
Shut the fuck up you retarded crypto boomernigger.
>maybe sometimes you can be happy, and you'll know that it's all worthwhile
Literal gigacopium.
>>
File: 309-1814395802.png (157 KB, 600x400)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>101783234
>>101783264
Blackpills are a suppository, doomertrannies.

I got married earlier this year, I'm working on getting her pregnant and then I'll be trying her breastmilk in my coffee. I made it, you can too. Later losers.
>>
>"i just got married" coffeebloomer
lol
lmao even
>>
>>101775045
are mediocre paying jobs in shitty non-tech companies difficult to land for someone with a BSCS? currently work in accounting and thinking about doing an online BSCS if it can get me a comfy dead-end job. i live near binghamton ny so there's a few defense contractors and some other boomer industries in the area.
>>
File: file.png (5 KB, 40x40)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
Guys should I take an intership that pays in equity for a startup? I can't land real jobs or real interships, the "pay" is 40 an hour in equity, the company is making an AI powered dishwasher with little hands inside.
>>
>>101775482
my job is very cool and sometimes fun but i work for a very small company right now doing devops and automation. Funny enough, my years spent learning about GNU/Linux video hardware autism helped quite a bit to get this current position. I wish i was paid a higher salary. If I got paid more, I would be 100% happy with my current position.
>>
File: myface.jpg (42 KB, 248x328)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>101783994
>the "pay" is 40 an hour in equity
>>
>>101784058
I know I know, but surely it's better than having nothing on my work experience right? Plus, while the odds are less than 1%, it still has better odds of giving me money in the future compared to an actual proper unpaid internship.
>>
>>101784080
yeah if the choice is between nothing and probably nothing, go with the latter
>>
>>101775384
>we aren't even in a recession yet.
Uh
>>
File: GUWQCDbXAAAYC00.png (621 KB, 701x689)
621 KB
621 KB PNG
Eugh, fuck it lads
The last remaining 5 months will be utter hell if you're jobless.

I guess I'll take the 4 month unpaid internship that starts in september. I hope i get an offer to be a fulltimer by january.
>>
>>101784101
oh you sweet summer child, you have no idea how bad things will get, we are in the calm before the storm
>>
>>101784102
why hire you if you free?
>>
>>101783343
I might get married soon as well or at the very least I will be living with my gf in the near future. I finally found a good caring gf. It only took 31 fucking years. I want her to be a stay at home waifu so I can work and make the money and she can take care of house and kids full-time and work on sewing and gardening.
>>
>>101783994
>Guys should I take an intership that pays in equity for a startup?
Yes but make them pay you in equity for a real company not their pretend one.
>>
>>101775045
I still don't get why you faggots keep whining about le no jobs. You have some powerful tools at your disposal (knowledge of technology and programming), you could do so much to help people in your community, city or whatever in exchange for money...
Do you really think corporate tech is the only route to get or stay in this industry? Was a "career" your childhood dream or something? Do you even like working with technology?
>>
>>101784140
she will cheat
>>
>>101784236
>in exchange for money...
Thing is, nobody understand how tech work. They want a superapp that can be done in a month, and they can only pay you their spare change.
>>
My childhood dream was just to be a novelist or a writer lol. I've been trying to link up with an artist so we can start a webcomic or something.
>>
>>101784318
And you promise them that, but only if they are willing to pay. The app might take a year or two but who cares? You got paid. Most of tech is a scam anyway, and like it or not, you already are in it
>>
>>101784318
This is true, but it's also true that aligning divs isn't worth 250k/year. No one on either side wants to fill the middle segment.
>>
https://www.alifeafterlayoff.com/this-is-the-worst-way-to-find-a-new-job/
>>
>>101784731
There isn't always an alternative. Not everyone has a network of friends or family they can reach out to for referrals.
>>
>>101783343
>>101784140
>getting married is "making it"
all women are whores
>>
File: 1613231367418.png (3 KB, 256x256)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
I'm so tired of the whole "self-organizing team" bullshit.
Developers are expected to be analysists, designers, admins, etc. on top of actually developing shit.
Am I the only one suffering from this?
>>
>>101784876
I think that's called working in a startup anon. I hope you got equity
>>
>>101784909
That's the thing - I work at a big corp.
>>
>>101784876
>>101784914
Why the fuck are you even letting them abuse you like that?
>>
>>101784977
Well, money's aright and I get to work from home 100%.
I've worked this way for years, but only now have started feeling the burden.
I've asked my friends and it's not that much different in other firms - they pretty much all expect you to be a one man IT department.
>>
>>101784236
>customer wants X features and has no idea how difficult they will be to implement
>you quote them a contract price
>oh, I'm sorry anon, our budget is only $5k take it or leave it
If you knew better you would know.
>>
>>101784876
>>101784977
>>101785064

If they want me to be all those things and no works gets done as I specialize cause too many people drag their feet and they insist I don't sit on my hands, I take my sweet time and push deadlines whenever I feel like it. Don't like it? Hire dedicated people to fill the voids or shut the fuck up. Pretty easy anon.
>>
File: molsdyhg59t61.jpg (69 KB, 512x513)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
That's it, it's over.
I just got word that they're removing our half day fridays and summer time off.
>>
>>101785588
Take them in spirit
Fuck em
>>
File: hm.png (306 KB, 339x745)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
Currently unemployed. Been applying for a while and have two job offers.

J1: More of the same shit I already do. Mediocre pay. 1 year contract with chance to extend. Completely Remote

J2: New role, Threat management. I want to get into cybersecurity and this is my chance. Never really done it before. Contract lasts a month as a contract with a chance to extend. Great pay with chance for overtime.

I'm feeling a lot of fear uncertainty doubt because it only lasts a month, and I don't know if a month or two as a vulnerability manager is even that appealing to other hiring managers. I don't know if I'll perform well. I can stand to take risks right now, but I'd hate if I don't find any other opportunities after this.
Any anons with advice?
>>
>>101781965
keep looking
>>
>>101775045
after you run PS script that presses f15/turn on mouse jiggler/place weight on CTRL, what status do you show on teams?

I'm trying busy instead of available and hoping to get less messages but idk
>>
>>101785633
I plan to be entirely unproductive every other friday anyway, but I can't take a few summer days off """""in spirit""""" anon.
>>
Is there a bot that will apply to all remote jobs on Indeed/LinkedIn?
I checked around github but found nada
>>
>>101785637
>go for new exciting opportunity with a chance for a good payoff
>resign self to same old bullshit
Are you a fucking bot or something?
>>
>>101785669
>I can't take a few summer days off """""in spirit""""" anon.
Find a company you actually want to work for more than whatever shithole youre at
>>
>>101785682
you know what to do anon, build that bot and when they ask you why you applied, tell them it was because you built the bot
>>
>>101785683
Reading this made the fear wash out of me completely thanks anon
>>
>>101785727
Anon, sometimes life throwd good opportunities at you and it's just a matter of whether you can overcome the worst in yourself to make the most of them.

The boring shit will always be waiting for you when you're ready for it again.

Godspeed
>>
What's the working conditions at Amazon's robotics division? Someone said it's like adult daycare at Amazon.
>>
>>101785758
>looking for a position to be babied
Is this the mind of an Amazon hopeful
>>
My interviewer had to answer a phone call so I decided to use gpt to solve the questions, now he is calling me back for next round. Do I decline? I feel very dirty from lying.
>>
Why the fuck would I join a startup again?
>same or less base pay
>zero bonus (current bonus is ~50%)
>shit benefits, no 401k, no perks
>assumed no work/life balance
>for maybe 0.5% equity that 8/10 times ends up being worthless and 9.9/10 times less than if you just worked at a big company after a cash out
Literally the only thing that would motivate me is getting to write more code and work on something interesting instead of all the bullshit config/testing/ops I have to do at my current job. I can see founding/co-founding a startup but anything after employee #5 seems to be a raw fucking deal.
>>
>>101785796
Yes. You failed the Kobayashi Maru.
>>
File: file.png (192 KB, 484x546)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>101785785
Yes I want to work the least amount possible while earning the maximum amount possible.
>>
>>101785810
I don't speak mandarin, could you tell me in english
>>
>>101785785
Not looking to get babied. I just don't want to go through 80+ hour weeks for garbage pay again.
>>
>>101785816
B-based
>>
>>101785822
Yneos
>>
>>101785836
huh
>>
>>101785797
for money
>>
File: 1692210207487345.jpg (52 KB, 800x751)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>Interview with company on 9 month contract with shit pay
>See company has a bunch of job listings for entry level developer with higher pay no contract
>Rejected from every single one

Is there a time coming soon where it won't be over? I worked my entire life so far and being unemployed is eating away at my soul. All I do is apply on linkedIn, work on stupid projects that lead nowhere, and play video games. I dont enjoy this and I want to have a regular life and make enough money to move out. This sucks. It's humiliating
>>
>>101785892
Your best hope if wait for the election and the war that will happen after it, hopefully we will have many chuddies going into the meat grill, immigration becoming harder because of no plane flights, and many tech jobs into defense opening up.
>>
>>101785892
Even when you do get a job you spent all your time in fear of getting fired so it's really not even a relief to get hired somewhere.
>>
>>101786120
>and the war that will happen after it
Lol
Lmao, even
There will be no war, Mericans are pussies. You guys will bend over and take it in the ass
>>
File: wagie_pepe.jpg (35 KB, 473x362)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>apply to job several months ago
>completely forget about it
>wake up to cold email from HR roastie
>it's a .docx file full of personality questions and work experience questions
>fill it out and send it back
>i'm literally a 1:1 match for this job btw
>they've taken yet another two weeks to get back to me for an initial phone screen
hurry the fuck up you retard mongoloids
HR people and hiring managers have to be the biggest soul scourge in modern america
>>
>>101786158
ok zoomer
>>
>>101786275
sounds like a scammer got access to their email and is scamming you
>>
File: 1723074575196656.webm (325 KB, 460x268)
325 KB
325 KB WEBM
>>101786129
It really do be like dat. But having money is oki guess
>>
>>101786306
People like you must have very strong mental illnesses. How the fuck can you be unhappy with money?
>>
Is sysadmin a comfy job?
>>
>>101775251
>wgu shill retard also can't speak english
Pottery
>>
>>101775045
bout to have an interview for junior java engineer role

it looks pretty sick cause they use really modern stack - quarkus, graalvm and reactive stack, but it all makes me stressed as shit cause I dont wanna blow it
>>
anyone worked for pic rel?
>>
>>101786281
>zoomer
>not conscious that politics in America are based in tolerance
Your emotional intelligence is low as fuck. Stick to technology.
>>
>>101785637
If J1 is remote and J2 is just a month you could try to overwork for that month instead of gambling
>>
>>101786321
Because we have to go be a cog in a big retarded corporate machine to get it, answering to middle managers who can easily be replaced by Chatgpt 3.5

Also after your basic needs and bills are paid, more money doesnt correlate to increased happiness. Plus of you're unfulfilled you'll find ways to spend the money you do have while trying to chase that fulfilment
>>
File: durga.jpg (23 KB, 299x168)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>101786395
>Java
Good luck sir
>>
>>101786626
retard
>>
>>101785797
Pretty much. If you know the right people, will get in early, and want to be on a small team, then startups are primo. But in general they're trash.
>>
>>101779923
Too bad oilnigger, if you won't secede to the US like you should have years ago I'm coming to drive up your property values. Like hell I'm staying in jeet central.
>>
>>101785797
If you're desperate and competant some of the more desperate startups wlil higher you easier. Apart from that it is a terrible deal all around and you will be fukt by every single layer above you.
>>
>>101786275
If they ask you to fill out a personality questionnaire they don't actually have a job
>>
>>101786595
sounds like mental illness, go to a shrink
>>
>>101787123
im not hiring him
>>
>>101786321
We have enough money to pay the bills but not really enough money to allow us to live how we want to live.
It's just enough money to keep the treadmill on and that's about it.
>>
>>101787980
yeah this is what people don't get
idk if this thread is full of 3rd worlders or what but even a well paid engineering gig is just enough to pay rent, utilities, groceries et al but never meaningful enough to make big moves with your life
my parents made like 22k between the two of them working part time as home depot cashiers and managed to buy a house on 7 acres after just 5 years
i've been a six figure engineer for ~10 years and have just barely passed a 100k down payment which is still so far away from a 20% down that i've just about given up
>>
>>101788010
People in general refuse to accept money won't buy happiness. Even the anon above you:
>We have enough money to pay the bills but not really enough money to allow us to live how we want to live.
You can still be unhappy. The world is full of rich people with mental illnesses, rich people who commit suicide, etc.
>>
>>101787980
Then sounds like you don't have enough money and need to get a better job.
>>
devops here, locked into pre rate hike six figure salary, full remote, 5 weeks paid vacation plus holidays and sick leave. I put in maybe 15 hours of actual work each week and still run circles around everyone else.
>>
>>101788010
I live in Labrador and earn only 113k per year. Own my own house with my wife, have 2 dogs and 2 cockatoos. Spends most of my free time playing my pets and going out with my wife. What else do you want? I bet all of you complaining have nothing you care about, no pets, no partners, maybe you don't like your parents or they are dead.
>>
>>101788238
Yeah well easier said than done. I can reduce everything in your life to a flippant hand-wave too, it isn't anything special to talk like that.
>>
>>101788238
NTA but I'm just about convinced that those better jobs are a meme created by our overlords to keep us grinding on the cogwheels.
>>101788248
Like this guy here.
>>
>>101788270
How much you making lad? Tell me your expenses too.
>>
meetings are so fake and gay its insane. i had my weekly 10 minute meeting and my day is ruined over it.
>>
>>101788302
Shut up retard; at least you aren't going to interviews.
>>
Can the whole IT/Coding/meme apps economy just fucking keel over and die already? I want to work on actual engineering projects with actual engineers.
>>
>>101788444
*smirks* lol
>>
>>101788286
If I told you the story of how I ended up at this company and avoided layoffs you wouldn't believe me. I'm very lucky.
>>
>>101788444
lol nope
>>
I'm in Europe and don't really want to work my notice period of a month but its in the contract. But if I leave without working it, I would be burning a bridge and references

I want to book my holidays for the notice but they won't let me since no on can cover for my work
>>
>>101788444
Here’s an idea go start your own company
>>
New thread bitches:
>>101789225
>>101789225
>>101789225
>>
>>101786321
I don't get this mentality. Are you a woman or a leftist?
Being well paid doesn't or shouldn't translate into having a sane life. I myself was born in a poor family and now I get paid well because I work in tech. But I still don't have my own house, I've had to pay rent for a long time, and even if I have a lot of money saved, I still don't even feel confident to get s loan to buy a house because I could get fired tomorrow and could lose everything overnight. I've seen it happen, not to people close to me but still. I've also read many stories like this.
Sure, there are lots of nepo kids in tech and middle class people who can live with their parents or in their second home or whatever, but not all of us have had that kind of opportunities...

This post caught my attention because my ex gf used to complain to me about our wage gap and about how stingy I was even though I made good money. What she didn't understand, even though I explained to her multiple times, is that buying my own house (or at least land to build on) was my priority, and that I needed to save as much as possible for as long as I could. Sadly, she kept complaining even after breaking up... I guess I should have taught her about money, but she didn't even seem to care about my ideas, so it seemed impossible for me to help her understand me.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.