[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1705354042022.png (100 KB, 1400x1050)
100 KB
100 KB PNG
>>101763965
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook)

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards, tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium roll cage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>Excellent Linux & *BSD support

ThinkWiki - General info about ThinkPads/specs
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Model generations:
>Classic IBM: T40, T41, T42
>IBM/Lenovo Transition: T43, T60, T61 (T42 - T43: significant difference in specs)
>"Classic" Lenovo: T400, T410, T420 (T61 - T400: 4:3 to 16:10)
>Transition to old modern: T430, T440, T450 (T420 - T430: membrane to chiclet)
>Old modern: T460, T470, T480 (T450 - T460: significantly less thick)
>New modern: T490, T14g1, T14g2 (T480 - T490: design change)
>New new modern: T14g3, T14g4, ... (T14g2 - T14g3: second design change)

BIOS replacement:
https://coreboot.org/downloads.html
https://libreboot.org/docs/hardware/
https://canoeboot.org/docs/hardware/

Additional resources:
https://dankpads.com/tpg/
https://biosimage.booru.org
https://1vyra.in

Patches:
https://github.com/digmorepaka/thinkpad-firmware-patches
https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

Chat:
##ibmthinkpad on libera
#/tpg/ on rizon
>>
epoxy on my ram and rom
>>
I'm sniffing my stinkpad right now.
>>
>>101820935
My ThinkPad has no odor. If yours does, then maybe that reflects your own poor personal hygiene choices.
>>
>>101821126
All stinkpads stink like their owners
Latitudes, precisions, and XPSs all smell pleasant because they're owned by people who are well put together
>>
i love my X201 so much but the battery is dying and it's not like lenovo still makes them :(
>>
Which X series are a good portable laptop? I am looking for something that can carry around, won't be my primary laptop but the last thinkpad I had was a T420
>>
>Get E495 on facebook marketplace
>Build quality is incredible, USB-C charging, feels amazing to type on, great display and strong speakers
Why is it not in the OP...? This thing fucks. I get the thinkpad hype now.
>>
>>101820834
Epoxy on my dick and balls.

>>101813292
Don't be a faggot. Ls are fine.
>>
>>101820384
Anyone have a Frankenpad T61 with newer mobos? I've heard some plans, specially with Frameworks, but not sure if anyone's actually tried it.
>>
I've never been as fat as I am right now.
Just watched my arm fat wiggle around in the mirror. God, I disgust myself.
>>
>>101825466
You can basically eat as much vegetables as you want and they are delicious.
>>
>>101821251
i think kingsener sells x200 batteries on kingsener
x200 should fit into x201
>>
>>101821203
All thinkpads have a soft floral smell from having been sat upon the supple shaven thighs of their owners, coming fresh out of the shower, having a clean pair of thigh highs just put on and ever so slightly digging into their flesh. They're also all male.
>>
>>101820935
on the daily
>>
>>101820384
Whats a good usb-c hub that allows for SSD and HDD to be inserted for storage inside the case?
>inb4 pic rel.
Fuck no, i've had data corrupt because of this shit and want something somewhat reliable.
>>
File: TPG9-PDF-1.png (2.88 MB, 3659x9600)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB PNG
ThinkPads from 2000 to 2022, prices you'd expect to pay on eBay if you're in USA.
website post here.
>https://dankpads.com/lenovo-thinkpad/tpg-v9-july-2024/

I will update the TPG page when ready, currently making the image for the 1984 to 2000 OG IBM Portables & ThinkPads.
>>
>>101822903
Congrats on your new ThinkPad.
The OP reflects on the statement from TP Forums and IBM shillers. We all start somewhere, just don't get the degen disease where you collect ThinkPads, because then you'll find out there is no perfect Thinkpad and you'll hate newer ones.

If you come across T495 you may like it more, heck maybe even a X280.
I come across a few E Series and am surprised if they are new/gently used, but the keyboard feel is a bigger difference.
>written on my Google pixel book
>>
>>101822903
we dont care about usb c we want freedom (coreboot)
without coreboot you are just consooming generic laptop
btw you can mod usb c into older thinkpads
>>
Hey all, Scott Here.

I got a T14 Gen 3 (AMD, sadly the 6650U - but the price was way too good to beat) and noticed something odd. First, much happier with this over the T480s since that thing got hot as hell and would be slow all the time.

Anyway, in Windows I notice the fans ramp up and are really loud, temps show ~58-68c (never above 70/71c, interestingly enough).

This is with Balanced or Performance. It doesn't matter.

In Arch, this doesn't seem to happen at all. The fans don't ever go as high in Arch as they seem to go in Windows and with Windows I'm just downloading something and watching a YouTube video while docked (which is probably a bit taxing considering it's using 1440p/144hz) but if I do the same in Arch it doesn't seem to ramp the fans up nearly as much.

What gives? Is Windows just refusing to let the CPU downclock to a certain point? That's the only thing that seems to make sense to me.
>>
>>101831556
its always the retarded newfags who make laptop threads
>>
>>101832187
No no you don't understand, once I buy a "hi productivity" niche laptop surely I will finally start learning things instead of thinking about it like I have for the last 5 years. I need the best laptop to run ubuuntu and java programming. Sir.
>>
>>101830782
NTA, but what DOES coreboot offer? Is there something wrong with the normal lenovo bios?
>>
>>101832563
FUCKING HATE these retarded baseddevs
OP even admits hes from reddit LEL

>>101833949
git clone coreboot repo and run make menuconfig and check out all the configuration
and then look at possible payloads

then you may understand
>>
File: 1718986759126152.gif (482 KB, 512x512)
482 KB
482 KB GIF
How do you guys handle suspend/sleep/hibernate/closing the lid?
I can just never get it to work right on my x230
>>
>>101834091
on my x230 i never suspend

i just poweroff
coreboot + sinit + no disk encryption + auto login is basically insta boot
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (233 KB, 1154x245)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
>>101830692
>I come across a few E Series and am surprised if they are new/gently used, but the keyboard feel is a bigger difference.
Interesting. I do see that Es are the lowest on the toughness scale, are they really that un-durable? Mine feels pretty sturdy/well built. Mine came very gently used, too, seemed like the guy had basically never touched it. Am I in for a bad time?
>>
File: gsmarena_018.jpg (174 KB, 1200x799)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
what is your opinion on the thinkphone?
>>
>>101820384
What are the best upgrades for x220's battery life?
>>
>>101835277
4 Years of support, no headphone jack, front camera hole. Trash just like most other phones, just buy any other chinkphone for much less.
>>
>>101835277
reflection of lelnovo
>>
>>101835100
>feels pretty sturdy
>feels
Yes i am sure this is relevant
>>
>>101835100
I gotta update that, its kind of a shit post. Because the iSeries is fucking way dogshit with their exploding hinges, almost like early IBM machines (hinges get too stiff and crack the brittle plastics due to age)

>going to fully explain this because autismo
Back in the day, we had magnesium frames which housed the motherboard, LCD hinge, w/ the keyboard attaching to the keyboard bezel, and then the bottom case attached to it. T60 thru T430 are like this, so 2006 to 2013.

When Apple made their unibody MacBook Pro in 2008, most manufacturers eventually followed the manufacturing process. This is essentially the keyboard bezel (including the palmrest) is the base frame, with the motherboard, LCD hinges and bottom case (in some instances, lid) attaches to it. Not saying the MB is a strong laptop... there's tough books, getacs and XFR Latitudes that will fucking trounce them.

Now the MacBook is milled out of solid aluminum (or mixed alloy, Idk), but not all manufacturers would use the same sort of "strength" or thickness standard. Sometimes the keyboard/palmrest bezell is the frame, other times, there's a separate smaller metal chassis, in some cases the fucking metal frame is bonded to the plastic palmrest or in other's there's a fucking shitty 3 layer of aluminum can as the frame lol

With all that said, the E Series is made to be the entry level ThinkPad, so it has much less metal or stronger polymers used in like the T or X series.
I'm sure your machine will last for a long time if you take care of it.
It does have MIL-STD durability to a certain level.

I don't mean to discourage you for your purchase. There's plenty of faults thinkpads had in the past and present. You dodged the bullet with the USB-C/Lightning Port fiasco w/ the T480 machines.Additionally the Ryzen variants have pretty good performance to price ratio, but have less LCD options. You'll have faster RAM & higher capacity if you upgrade.
>>
File: epawnusa.jpg (141 KB, 1600x1200)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>101834091
I use sleep on my W550s, Winblows 10, it doesn't always sleep when I close the lid sooooo yeah.

>>101833949
Coreboot offers no Intel backdoor, bc that code was taken away I think.

>>101822737
I have an X280 I don't use bc it has the shit 768p panel. If I had a 1080p IPS screen, I'd love it (Pixel book is my portable laptop)
Lenovo slimmed the machine down and used a metal case, similar to the X1 Carbon, so its different than the X240 to X270, plus it's It's the last 12" X Series (well X12 detachable... but that's a tablet).

It does have soldered RAM tho, the 13" X machines have soldered plus 1 slot, L series have 2.

X220 can have libreboot, X230 can get coreboot, but even the non lib/coreboot machines are going higher in price because of flippers buying them.
>>
>>101837064
TOPKEK i too use crapshit m1 charger, just with my x230 with usb c mod
using pine64 cable though not the apple shit one, that one is unusable

there is nothing more powerful
>>
Dumb question, but what scaling do you guys use on your 14" 1080p Thinkpads?
100% scaling hurts my eyes after a while, 125% the fonts and stuff look shitty, 150% font rendering is better, but everything is too big, and lots of wasted space.
Should I just change resolution to 768p?
>>
>>101837064
>Coreboot offers no Intel backdoor, bc that code was taken away I think.
You still have to include various binaries (like the partial IME firmware) in the ROM. Coreboot doesn't address those issues because it's impossible to reverse engineer them.
>X220 can have libreboot, X230 can get coreboot
Technically libreboot supports both X220 and X230 through the binary reduction policy. But it's not like classic libreboot for the 60 and 00 series which can run without blobs.
>>
>>101837580
>because it's impossible to reverse engineer them.
thats pretty false
>>
File: 1630505898865.jpg (15 KB, 256x245)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>101820384
Anons, I need your help.
I owned and used many ThinkPads (T-series only) and think about an upgrade to one of the newest models.

The things that I don't like about my current model are:
1) being too heavy (it's the one with both external and internal batteries but they have degraded overtime, so now it's just haevy)
2) the screen. It's and an IPS panel with a patrician 1920x1080 resolution but overtime I started to notice "pressed spots" on it. It's hard to explain but they look like areas about 0.4in/1cm in diameter where colors appear darker than the rest of the screen. At first I even though that those was some kind of smudges, but you cannot clean them. I read online that it's a relatively common problem caused by a contact of the screen with a keyboard and it cannot be fixed without a panel replacement

So, I was thinking about those new T14 Gen 5 of X1 Carbon Gen 12
So... my questions are:
1. Whats the difference between X1 and T14? Is X1 more expensive but way better?
2. Do new models still have this annoying "pressed-spots-on-screen" issue?
3. Are OLED screens good in these laptops?
4. I used both Intel and AMD models, and AMD got hot like crazy. Is it still the case?
5. I see that now there is a new 1920x1200 resolution. Can it be an issue in some cases?
6. Is it possible to find a model with about 7h of a battery life?
Thanks in advance

> inb4: google it yourself
Most video reviews are done by pajeets nowadays, so I don't quite trust them
>>
>>101820384
Hello fagets,
x220 is giving me tons of shit, looks like issues with the bios and kernel. I'm a retard and shouldn't have upgraded anything.
Anyway, I just want something cheap to put Mint on and type. Battery life is the only real concern. Maybe 16gigs of RAM so I can surf the web in the near future. Do I want an x390 or t480 or t14s or something else?
>>
>>101837603
>thats pretty false
That's pretty true actually, here's the source for my claim, directly from Leah:
https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme
>Due to the signature verification, developing free replacement firmware for the ME is basically impossible. The only entity capable of replacing the ME firmware is Intel. As previously stated, the ME firmware includes proprietary code licensed from third parties, so Intel couldn’t release the source code even if they wanted to. And even if they developed completely new ME firmware without third-party proprietary code and released its source code, the ME’s boot ROM would reject any modified firmware that isn’t signed by Intel. Thus, the ME firmware is both hopelessly proprietary and “tivoized”.
>>
>>101835277
beyond abysmal. the brand alone is horrible. Looks more like chink bootleg brand.
-the word "ThinkPhone" feels forced & ugly. even ThinkBook feels more natural.
-"by Motorola" even made it messier
-ThinkPhone? Does it promotes the spirit of "Think" just like ThinkPad?
-"ThinkPhone" logo at the back, you won't see it all time. Unlike ThinkPad/ThinkStation that is visible during usage.
-android lol. No different than generic masses of chink smartphones. Make it run on any OS but Android and it'll be better.
-Build quality doesn't even match low-end E series,e. Even Fairphone is better than this

Should went all-in, full shilling Motorola instead and dump that dumb ThinkPhone lingo. I bet everyone won't remember this failed project soon.
>>
>>101821126
>he doesnt partake in 'ick on 'ad
ngmi
>>
>>101836879
Sexy Yonezawa kokusan edition.
Feels like X series is more popular than T series in Japan.
>>
File: disgustingbitchyomi.jpg (101 KB, 1201x799)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
whats the best thinkpad/latitude i can get for like $600 USD? i need to upgrade my laptop because i got into playing java minecraft and my dual-core i3 can't keep up. i don't use mods (except sodium, a performance-related thing) and i just want something that can run the damn game at a locked 75 fps.
my requirements really arent all that crazy but heres some stuff i care about:
>8th gen Intel or newer (also includes AMD equivalent) also please just be a quad core
>14" screen, 1080p (IPS is a must)
>two RAM slots
>option to charge the computer with a barrel-style plug (i dont like USB-C on laptops)
im having a hard time with this because it feels like there's a dead zone in this price range. most people here are rocking $200 t480s or $1,500 modern high-end shit.
>>
Need a thinkpad in 13-15" form factor (no num pad) that won't burn my balls when it's on my lap. Any ideas?
>>
>>101842440
X13 with Snapdragon
>>
>>101833949
Makes you feel more like a 1337 H4X0R
>>
>>101838294
Not even a paid shill but look if Lisa at MobileTechReview has done one on whatever model(s) are on your shortlist.
>>
what's the best smol thinkpad money can buy? X series with IPS display? thinkpad x1 nano? 14in T14s?
>>
>>101844438
X1 nano is the spiritual successor to the old 12.5" X-series. The Z13 is also pretty damn small.
>>
>>101838921
that doesnt say you cant reverse engineer it, just that its signed deep by hardware

https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-8782-intel_me_myths_and_reality
>>
>>101844438
x230/x200/x301/x60 anything else is chinkshit
>>
Thoughts on easily repairable and upgradable laptops?
>>
>>101848027
stop shilling this scam
>>
>>101848070
Your post makes no sense

It's much LESS of a scam than other laptops, because other laptop makers want you to buy an entire new laptop when some small part breaks. Or they want you to take it to THEM for repairs, where they will charge you an inflated price.

And if you want to upgrade the CPU/motherboard of your laptop, you can do that with the Framework, without having to buy a new chassis, display, keyboard, battery, etc.
>>
>>101848153
Buy an ad.
>>
>>101848153

>It's much LESS of a scam than other laptops
https://desuarchive.org/g/thread/84092820/#84095610

>because other laptop makers want you to buy an entire new laptop when some small part breaks.
nice concern trolling
>>
>>101848191
Of course not. I don't work for them or anybody connected to them by the way.

I don't care if it's Framework or some other company - what I care about is repairable and upgradable laptops because they're good for consumers.

>>101848193
>https://desuarchive.org/g/thread/84092820/#84095610
Ridiculous post

>nice concern trolling
It's not though. I mean if you want to replace your whole laptop that's fine, I don't care if you have to spend tons of money, that's your choice. I care about what's good value for me. I just wanted to see if there are any people with similar views to me in this thread.
>>
>>101848296
>Ridiculous post
isreali jewtuber shill and jeet ceo speaks everything

>I mean if you want to replace your whole laptop that's fine
if you think framework is the only laptop in the world where you can replace parts you are delusional

keep concern trolling
>>
>>101848296
This board is probably not the best place to gather that opinion. The CEO is Indian and most people here are racist, example >>101848316.
>>
>>101848457
>racist
retard its low quality garbage

durgasoft laptop
>>
>>101848316
>isreali jewtuber shill and jeet ceo speaks everything
The ethnicities of anybody have nothing to do with the topic of laptops and their merits or lack thereof

>if you think framework is the only laptop in the world where you can replace parts
Framework laptops make it much easier than many laptops. And with the Framework you can drop in a new motherboard with a new CPU into the same chassis if you want to upgrade. There might be some other laptops that can do this but there probably aren't many.

>>101848457
It's true that many people here are racist. But 4channers often claim to support free speech - they say things like "Reddit is bad because they censor people and don't allow free speech".

Free speech means that any opinion can be posted here, as long as your post doesn't break 4chan's rules. If some people don't like my posts for racist reasons, I guess that's their problem.
>>
>>101848567
>have nothing to do with the topic
read >>101848296
>https://desuarchive.org/g/thread/84092820/#84095610

its scam

>Framework laptops make it much easier than many laptops
you are in thinkpad thread fucking moron, nothing beats ibm pads

> you can drop in a new motherboard with a new CPU into the same chassis
totally only possible on framework KYS SHILL

>It's true that many people here are racist. But 4channers often claim to support free speech - they say things like "Reddit is bad because they censor people and don't allow free speech".

>Free speech means that any opinion can be posted here, as long as your post doesn't break 4chan's rules. If some people don't like my posts for racist reasons, I guess that's their problem.

nice gpt post
>>
You think a 7840U or HS could power three external 2k displays in clamshell mode without taking off?
>>
>>101849272
consider that x230 can handle 2k with 3615qe
>>
>>101849292
I'm talking about three displays though. I have a laptop with an i5-1135G7 laying around. With a dock it will run three displays, but starts to struggle when playing a video.
>>
>>101849333
sorry cant read

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/laptop/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-7-7840u.html

>Max Displays 4

so probably yes
try asking pcbg is max displays means max resolution can be used on all
>>
>>101849364
I already know it will support it, my question was how well? I don't want the fan spinning all day.
>>
What does /tpg/ think about the X1 Nano? Would $650 for one in new condition with 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM be a good deal?
>>
>>101848640
>read
>>https://desuarchive.org/g/thread/84092820/#84095610
>its scam
That post is nonsense trolling

>nothing beats ibm pads
IBM ThinkPads were good back in the day, but they're too slow now

And Lenovo is beholden to the Chinese Communist Party, so their computers are probably spying on you. And no I'm not a moron, the fucking moron here is you.

You're genuinely a complete fucking moron, no obviously I'm not going to kill myself because making you cry is too enjoyable
>>
>>101849386
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208658/intel-core-i5-1135g7-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

https://technical.city/en/video/Iris-Xe-Graphics-G7-vs-Radeon-780M

uhm comparsion of the graphics chips, probably? not sure though if benchmarks are good lead

some more

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/4818vs4265/Radeon-780M-vs-Intel-Iris-Xe
>>
haven't bought a chinkpad in years, do they still come with the super washed out displays that rival a $5 1995 laptop? I'd rather not buy a mac but I can't go back to that...
>>
>>101849482
>That post is nonsense trolling
its not thoughbeit

>IBM ThinkPads were good back in the day, but they're too slow now
hardware doesnt degrade

>And Lenovo is beholden to the Chinese Communist Party, so their computers are probably spying on you.
LMFAO
go back
>>
>>101849533
Of course it's nonsense, the real reason that Linus chose PopOS is most likely because he doesn't know anything about Linux, and therefore didn't choose a more mainstream distro

>hardware doesnt degrade
Firstly it absolutely does, but secondly software becomes more complex, which is why old computers are slow for modern tasks.

>go back
No, fuck off.
>>
>>101849735
>Linus chose PopOS is most likely because he doesn't know anything about Linux
so why did he download the beta iso which had that specific issue?
it wasnt even the stable iso at the current time

>Firstly it absolutely does
hardware does not degrade

>No, fuck off.
unfortunately we are full so you will have to go back and shill your ewaste elsewhere

the real deal is http://www.cnmod.cn/

some more shilling https://desuarchive.org/g/search/image/k_MDttl8X0U2o894WD85AA/
>>
>>101849853
also honest review from fagwork user

https://desuarchive.org/g/thread/101500779/#101503190
https://desuarchive.org/g/thread/101500779/#101509669
>>
>>101849853
>so why did he download the beta iso which had that specific issue?
Because he's stupid

>hardware does not degrade
It literally does though, I think CPUs can be degraded by heat over time (might take a long time in most circumstances), and of course SSDs fail over time, and HDDs too

But the more relevant point is the fact that software gets more complicated, so you need better hardware to run a lot of modern software

>you will have to go back and shill your ewaste elsewhere
I'm not shilling anything. If you disagree with what I said then fine. I'm just giving my view. Surely the entire point of this site is discussion, otherwise it would just be people circlejerking about the same opinions all the time.
>>
>>101828571
I use Gembird EE2-U3S-55 for cold storage, flawless experience so far.
>>
>>101849959
>and of course SSDs fail over time, and HDDs too
oh no its not like you can replace them

>might take a long time in most circumstances
yes and my x200 will outlive you
>But the more relevant point is the fact that software gets more complicated
dont use windows

>Because he's stupid
read the fucking desuarchive post, he got that specific iso for a reason
https://desuarchive.org/g/search/text/linus%20system76/

>I'm not shilling anything.
ah yes natural stock image framework "IS THIS LAPTOP GOOD?" post
we have it every day

rest of post reeks of gpt
>>
>>101836822
I mean, it kind of is. The chassis is all-metal, that's gotta count for something, right?

>>101836879
Good shit, I love hearing about the shitty manufacturing shortcuts and badnesses of old. I'll do my best to take good care of it, it's been a while since I've had a laptop that started out in this good of condition and I don't want to wreck it.
>>
>>101849482
The Chinese aren't going to get you fired or de-bank you, that's the Israelis in partnership with jewish corporations and your own government. Worrying about chinks is a foolish distraction.
>>
>>101850037
>my x200 will outlive you
It might well not do

>dont use windows
That doesn't solve all problems though. What if you want to compile stuff locally. What if you want to run an LLM locally (maybe you're developing some software that will use an LLM on a server, and you want to run the LLM locally to test it out first). Stuff like this will be very slow on an old computer.

Actually even just watching videos can be slow on old computers because their iGPUs might not have hardware acceleration for modern video codecs.

>he got that specific iso for a reason
Yes, the reason being that he's stupid.

>ah yes natural stock image framework "IS THIS LAPTOP GOOD?" post
I got the image from google.

>rest of post reeks of gpt
You should really take off your tin foil hat, for your own benefit.
>>
>>101851598
>LLM
useless
man pages and offline copies of wikis

>modern video codecs.
you dont need anything "modern" old ones just work

>Yes, the reason being that he's stupid.
it wasnt listed on the website, he looked for that specific broken release
read the desuarchive post

>You should really take off your tin foil hat, for your own benefit.
ok shillbot 9000
>>
>>101849426
bumping this question
>>
>>101849426
overpriced
>>
>>101852000
>>LLM
>useless
>man pages and offline copies of wikis
LLMs are useful for some things - as I say, if you're developing some software that could benefit from an LLM, then you might want to test an LLM locally on your machine.

>you dont need anything "modern" old ones just work
Ah yes I'll just convert this VP9 video into H264, which will take ages on an old computer.

In fact I'm pretty sure IBM ThinkPads are old enough that their iGPUs won't even have hardware acceleration for H264. I just looked at once of the first Lenovo ThinkPads, and the Intel iGPU it had does not have hardware acceleration for H264. So even playing a 1080p H264 video is probably going to be slow.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Z60m
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units#Third_generation

>it wasnt listed on the website, he looked for that specific broken release
No he didn't

>ok shillbot
If you disagree with my points then fair enough but I have no idea why you're claiming that my posts are written with ChatGPT when that clearly isn't the case.
>>
>>101853805
hurr durr video encoding

you know there are mpcie cards for hardware coding acceleration right fucking retard?
ibm got them slots, use them

>Ah yes I'll just convert this VP9 video into H264, which will take ages on an old computer.
or simply dont bother with new codecs, what kind of isreali porn are you watching? faggot

AUGHHH HOW DO I CONSOOM??? I NEED TO CONSOOM

>Sources
KEK please go back already
>when that clearly isn't the case.
shillwork at their best
>>
>>101853879
>you know there are mpcie cards for hardware coding acceleration
Well, even if that is the case, your computer is still going to be very slow for many tasks

The reason you're so defensive is because you're a fucking moron
>>
>>101854258
>your computer is still going to be very slow for many tasks
keep goal posting

HARDWARE DEGRADES
OK BUT THE CODECS
OK BUT ITS STILL SLOW

>The reason you're so defensive is because you're a fucking moron
FACTS:
hardware doesnt degrade
ibm thinkpads are superior
you dont need "modern" codecs, i have never used vp9 or whatever
my x200 will outlive you
my x200 is faster than your shillwork because of mitigations=off
>>
>>101854350
You are a fucking moron.
>>
What's the battery life like in old ThinkPads isnt it shit with old CPUs and shit?
>>
>>101820384
Just went on a trip from New Zealand to the UK the other day. I'm on a terrorism watchlist. My darling X220 got seized at the border and is being combed over by MI5, thank God for LUKS. But still, feels bad man
>>
>>101855877
You're going to get varying answers. 1. How old? 2. An actual new battery or used one with 40-80% original capacity (and 6 or 9 cell). 3. What use case? A C2D processor straining to watch 720p YT vids or just fucking around browsing 4chan? 4. What OS and have they done any power saving tweaks like undervolting, LED backlight mod, or just running it at 20% brightness in a dark room?
>>
>>101850727
Update on this: The reason it felt so much more high quality is because it was, the guy sold me an E14 Gen 3 with a processor that's well over twice as good, presumably mistakenly. Didn't even know till I did a neofetch. I'll absolutely fucking take something that goes for 400 used for the 100 I paid, goddamn.
>>
>>101855877
>>101858922
Short answer: 3ish hours.
>>
What's the best portable coreboot model?
x430? does it have a dock?
any with IPS screens or is it a mod?
is it powerful enough for cubes?
>>
>>101852901
IDK, all the ones I saw in the $300 to $500 range looked like they had been rode hard and put up wet. I don't mind paying a couple hundred more for one that is in new condition.
>>
are panasonic let's note any good? they're pretty cheap on ebay from japan
>>
>>101860547
T440p
>>
>>101861164
Some of the classic ones are good.
>>
Finally got a t580, installed kubuntu. But I cant click using touchpad. The cursor moves just fine. Is there a way to fix this?
>>
>>101864144
nvm found the setting
>>
>>101860547
x230

>>101861267
new design there is horrible, trackpoint will drift constantly because they cut it in half for some reason
>>
>>101854924
ACK!
>>
>>101855877
i get 10 hours on my x230 with new 9 cell from kingsener

my x60 gets 8 hours with some chink battery from ebay
>>
I bought a used T460, when I tested it with Win10 the battery lasted approximately 5 hours, today I changed the operating system to Linux Mint and the battery lasts considerably less.
I found CPU Freq to increase the duration.
It's my first time with Linux, is it
a good alternative? Are there better alternatives to increase battery life?
>>
>>101866741
sudo apt install powertop
sudo systemctl enable --now powertop
sudo powertop --calibrate
>>
I know people buy used Thinkpads to tinker with them as a hobby but, are they any good as daily drivers? I got a programming gig that pays like shit and need a cheap laptop for work. Would buying a used t490 or something like that be a good idea?
>>
File: 1715060955064.jpg (10 KB, 200x200)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
stinkpad
>>
File: library.png (94 KB, 535x409)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
>>101867667
thinkpal
>>
>>101867667
My ThinkPad has no odor. If yours does, then maybe that reflects your own poor personal hygiene choices.
>>
>>101861267
>>101865066
does it work well on cubes os?
>>
File: 20220919_18290669.jpg (590 KB, 2164x1400)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
>>101820384
Is the ThinkPad L14 AMD Gen 3 a good option for a broke college student who needs a laptop for web browsing and linux. What is linux battery life like on this laptop? I was thinking about getting a macbook instead but I really don't want to deal with macOS
>>
>>101870462
both thinkpads will run qubes fine

x230 is recommended by qubes-os.org in certified hardware section
>>
I am loving my T14
>>
>>101872746
Good to hear.
>>
>>101867325
I don't code,but the Dell latitude E7490 may be sufficient with it's FHD display.
thinkPad t490? yeh id probably do well with it, but I am biased with the X1 Carbon, so Id go with the t490s if possible, or X13 if its cheap

programming doesn't need anything intensive.Any laptop will do, someone shilled a 2004 t42 ThinkPad during college and was fine.

ThinkPads are good becuse
>robust build quality
>plenty of liquidated equipment available
>manuals online avialable for dissassembly
>plenty of parts available due to surplus liquidations

I am mostly talking about T Seriex, so yeah T490 is nice, T495 may be better.
If you want a comparable Dell Latitude, I think the E7490 is similar or the E7410.
My "upgrade" after my ThinkPad W550s was a Dell Precision 7730
It was nice and more powerful, but its keyboard was god awful, its trackpoint... JFC!
and the morons did brightness as FN Up/Down on the fucking right directional pad instead of... fucking the FN row keyboard like everyone else did for like a decade...

Now I have an MSI Raider bc of my gayums.
>>
>>101867325
More reliable than consumer notebooks. In case of /tpg/, ideapad is horrible, never buy one no matter how tempting the low prices.
>>
>>101835100
>I do see that Es are the lowest on the toughness scale, are they really that un-durable?
Only the old one. The quality gap between E vs. T/X gets smaller for newer generations. E series back then was pure plastic, yet now houses metal/carbon. While T/X series regressed from classic design with full metal housing, deteriorated into consumer-like designs & features. I can't even see the obvious differences between Mid-level L series with High-level T/X series.
>>
File: 453253252335.png (236 KB, 680x860)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
>>101871367
stop acting like you even know what a good OS looks like. macOS is excellent once you use it for a day. just admit it, you fell for memes made by NEETs who don't shower for weeks at a time. Linux fucking sucks. It's not even good. LE CUSTOMIZABLE!!! yeah? more like le wastes my fucking time. and Windows is certified shit at this point. It's embarassing.

-have never used macOS
>>
>>101854350
stop coping old man
>>
Thoughts on X13 Gen 2?
>>
What are my options as far as upgrade screens for T440P?
>>
File: 81jrQP-7CGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (77 KB, 1500x963)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>101820384
I may just be retarded, but i ordered a mini dock series 3 for my T410 and it doesn't seem to want to connect together
won't latch down, won't physically connect. Dock is unlocked, but doesn't seem to want to connect. Am i doing something wrong? it should just be move spacer, plop down laptop and it latches up, right?
>>
>>101866763
so Powertop vs laptop-mode-tools vs tlp?
Which is best?
>>
>>101820384
Asked for a thinkpad t480 for my birthday this year, the listing I sent my family members had the nvidia GPU and didnt realize it till it came in. Still having fun with it and have been spending less and less time on my macbook. Got Arch installed, set up hyprland as my DE and have been playing around with my configs. Today I got my nvidia gpu to work and is now managing firefox for because when watching videos my intel gpu was near 100% utilization and would just stop rendering frames of videos on youtube. Currently running two 27in external monitors off of it 2560x1440@60 (can run at 120hz for both of them)

I already did ram and ssd upgrade thinking about glass track pad and getting a better resolution display,If anyone has some recommendations for what I should look out for or things I should do to ensure getting longevity & performance out of this let me know.
>>
I fell for the kingsener meme
>worked fine for 2 weeks
>now the laptop shuts off without the cable
I should've bought a new laptop ffs.
>>
>>101883942
honeywell ptm if you want to overkill

>>101884275
show /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/*
where did you buy from?
if from aliexpress just ask for refund or new battery for free
>>
File: 1713488652704576.jpg (9 KB, 151x333)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
every time I reassemble the x201 there's 2 extra screws

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.