[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: closet.jpg (593 KB, 1723x778)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
Closet edition

previous: >>102198457

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/PFsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin/Emby/Plex to replace Netflix, Nextcloud to replace Googlel, Ampache/Navidrome to replace Spotify, the list goes on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your tech skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Cool stuff to host: https://gitlab.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted
RouterOS's: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server#Custom
https://reddit.com/r/datahoarder
https://www.labgopher.com
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LHvT2fRp7I6Hf18LcSzsNnjp10VI-odvwZpQZKv_NCI
Cheap disks: https://shucks.top/ https://diskprices.com/
PCIE info: https://files.catbox.moe/id6o0n.pdf
>i226-V NICs are not suitable for servers
>For more SATA ports, use PCIe SAS HBAs in IT mode

Remember:
RAID protects you from DOWNTIME
BACKUPS protect you from DATA LOSS
>>
File: 1534478099111.jpg (610 KB, 1065x1600)
610 KB
610 KB JPG
I've upgraded my ISP to "Enterprise" because the residential internet got "session limit" limiting its opened TCP/UDP connection.

is there a way to determine how many concurrent session connection limit on my new internet have?
>>
I've replaced my amazon 4k stick with a fanless n6005 mini pc. looking good so far. gotta compile jellyfin and find a good remote control replacement
also make it a k8s node
>>
>>102240644
with kde bigscreen or what software are you using?
>>
How do you guys do off-site backups?

My upload rate is too slow to do it over Internet, so I rsync stuff I don't want to lose to encrypted high capacity HDDs, wrapped in a faraday bag, which I store in a padlocked pelican case along with a SATA to USB adapter to access them. The case sits at my workplace most of the time, and I take it home for a day every month to update everything with my rsync script. The source file system is btrfs, which does integrity checks, so rsyncing every month should hopefully protect me against a bitrotting backup.

Thought about using tapes, but it's pretty expensive to get started, even when going for used equipment and older LTO standards, and random access sucks with tapes.
>>
>>102240442
>raspi zero 2w server running with samba, syncthing on a zerotier network
>128GB USB2.0 amazon basics thumb drive to sync all my phone photos (phone, desktop also on zerotier network)
>currently rigging together a basic firmware for a small UPS that i designed and built so that it can power the raspi when there is no power using a 4Ahr li-ion cell (thirdie so a lot of powercuts)
Life is good
>>
>>102241099
Post pic. I love low power setups.
>>
>>102240653
just jellyfin media player in fullscreen for now, which replaces all my fire stick ever did
>>
>>102228871
I did end up buying it
Now to convince some custom cable manufacturer to make me a custom modular cable of 11 SATA power connectors
>>
>>102240442
Wtf that's my rack
>>
File: 1724439472591680.png (43 KB, 210x215)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>102241672
>>
>>102239960
>I want to run Plex,
Yes
>do remote access to my files (and of course network storage)
Yes
>do remote game streaming for playing game from the server while remote
Not sure
>possible host video streaming
Not sure
>and maybe a few other things like monitoring because I will be using a UPS solution
Yes

Ask the more experienced anons around here about remote game streaming
>>
I have my rack next to my bed.
>>
I have my bed next to my rack.
>>
I love you, /hsg/
>>
>>102240862
what could you possibly be storing that is so important
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>102242148
Word around the office is, you got a big rack.
>>
>>102242160
>what could you possibly be storing that is so important
All keys and documents I need to restore my identity in case of a house fire that destroys everything, rare media that's nearly impossible to torrent, source code of old projects that I'm nostalgic about, and old photos of pets who died.
>>
>>102242148
we <3 you anon
>>
>>102242874
>General eneral
I need to stop phoneposting
>>
I love you, Home Server General anons.
>>
>>102242899
I preferred the eneral post more
<3
>>
>>102242148
>>102242899
luv u <3
>102240478
kys
>>
>want to order a new router
>the router would arrive on a day when i'm not in
>therefore i need to wait to place the order later
>the router may be out of stock by then
Such is life
>>
>>102241754
i added a rack station but this piece of junk is so fucking loud. probably won't use it until I replace the fans with noctuas.
I also have to get a PDU. out of plugs on the damn UPS.
>>
File: 20240905_095925.jpg (682 KB, 2252x4000)
682 KB
682 KB JPG
>>102243322
oops wasted my dubs
>>
>>102243322
>replace the fans with noctuas
you may already be aware but these typically push a lot less air
>>
>>102240478
Try opening a lot (I mean up to 65k lot) of long running but inexpensive TCP connections? Idk
>>
>>102243502
according to the reddit plebs they push less air but still keep the appliance cool. I gotta do more research I reckon.
>>
>>102240862
>How do you guys do off-site backups?
Internet

>>102242262
>rare media that's nearly impossible to torrent
Like old TV shows and stuff? I don't store anything like that. I have old DVDs I bought years ago that I still keep around, but I probably won't back them up because it's too much effort, and tons of stuff can be downloaded again anyway. Maybe there are some things that can't be downloaded, but so much other stuff can, so I'm not bothered.
>>
>>102243007
ship it to a walgreens or cvs
>>
>>102244488
I don't live in the United States of Shartmerica
>>
>>102244496
damn, sucks
>>
5TB 2.5" WD external portable HDD for 120 eurodollars is good in this biden world isn't it?
I've been in desperate need for backup storage
>>
File: 1427427831800.png (27 KB, 400x400)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>refuse the ISP router during installation since I have a way better one
>ISP installer shows me that internet indeed works on my laptop through wired connection to their GPON box
>later try to use it, it doesn't work
I'm thinking they're trying to bully me into buying their stupid weak ass router. This has to be illegal what the fuck
>>
>>102245198
If I'm doing the currency conversion correctly, you can get a 12tb manufacturer recertified drive from https://serverpartdeals.com/ for less
>>
Sooo... this thread is about to get a whole lot popular huh.
>>
>>102245525
why u sayin so
>>
>>102245570
anon only has to enter a thread for it's popularity to increase, i'm only here because of anon.
>>
>>102245525
did the news get around about a guy named homeserver pete
>>
>>102245249
>GPON box
you mean ONT?
yeah anon just plug your router into the ont, none of them give a shit if you bring your own router
just ask them for the pppoe/whatever credentials since without them you wont have a connection or it'll be very slow
>>
>>102246464
HE KEEPS STORIN' AND HOARDIN' AND BACKIN' (UP)
>>
File: ed3.jpg (67 KB, 680x383)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>suddenly can't connect to PoE WAP
>SSIDs are up, but won't establish connection
>try restarting WAP without luck
>TV seems fine
>have Internet on my ethernet connected laptop
>other TV box doesn't have Internet
>wtf
>check Internet provider pages on phone, but everything seems fine
>do the one thing I don't want to
>restart my Catalyst 3850 switch (connected to OPNsense router-on-a-stick)
>wait like 5-10 minutes for it to finally finish booting
>everything works
What the... I never expected this pro grade equipment to get hung up like this. Should I get another switch?
>>
File: GNU Dogs.png (532 KB, 760x561)
532 KB
532 KB PNG
Freedom.
>>
File: gay.jpg (25 KB, 800x450)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>102242148
>>
bricked my futro bios and restored it with a $10 chinkshit usb programmer
i rate this experience 9/10
>>
any of you guys use FreeIPA? how do i make it so that users automatically get a krb ticket when they log into a host? apparently freeipa-client is supposed to handle it out-of-the-box but it doesnt seem to be working :/
>>
ping
>>
>>102243519
I can open multiple TCP connection no problem. the problem is how much established TCP connection to the internet can my new internet support. is there a program/site that can do it?
>>
File: you.png (85 KB, 495x326)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>102247587
mwah
>>
Do hardlinks from one zfs dataset to a different zfs dataset work normally
>>
Any proxmox users?
How do you guys stress test your new or refurbished HDDs? Do you guys make a new linux VM and passthrough the HDD there and use badblocks or do you guys install badblocks in the proxmox host and run it there? I really don't want to install anything in the host but I don't know if doing the test in a VM is a good idea since I don't know if it will skew the results.
>>
>>102240442
https://igwiki.lyci.de/ - replacement for wiki in next OP
the backup is a year old unfortunately.

i'd appreciate it if any anons could help with updating active pages (ie ones linked regularly) to more recent copies. wayback machine has recent copies of many pages, but converting them to wikitext markup isnt simple.
>>
File: file.png (67 KB, 1099x127)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>extracting a 6MB tarball is taking >10min
why NFS why :(
>>
>>102244117
>and tons of stuff can be downloaded again anyway.
I'll never think this way again after they took RARBG away from me.
>>
>>102251449
its p2p, bro, they cant take it away from you. the trackers are still up. theres even a mirror site https://rargb.to/
>>
>>102250381
I don't buy refurbished by any means. But if I had to test one then I'd install it in an auxiliary desktop PC (not VM, baremetal) and run badblocks and all SMART tests on it
>>
>>102251422
Not related to NFS at all. Most likely your bottleneck is network, storage, CPU or even the software itself
>>
>>102251661
>network, storage
dd testing rules that out >>102231683
>CPU
really doubt it
>software
im pretty sure the packages are quite literally just tarballs. could be an LDAP thing tho. ill run some more tests.
>>
>>102251648
I only bought refurbs because it was cheaper. But even if I buy new I would still like to do this test.
I only have one PC (my server) available. Is it better to REMOVE all drives except the ones I am testing and do the test like that? It would suck that I have to shut my server off for a couple of days to let it run but I am willing to do it.
Is it okay if I install Ubuntu in a USB drive and use that to boot from and run the test? I also don't have a spare SSD but I have some Kingston USB drives.
>>
>>102251866
I also plan on following this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bh5ZK8z4ZA
to do them in batches.
>>
>>102251866
Well, you should REALLY consider using another device as your client and leave your server alone (as in: DO NOT use it as a desktop).

You don't have to remove all your drives, try to get a SATA -> USB enclosure and test the drive without all the hassle
>>
>>102251919
I have a main PC but I turn it off at night. I can't leave it running 24/7. My server PC is the only machine that is on 24/7 so I thought I might as well use it.
And isn't SATA to USB enclosures bad? Because of data dropping for no reason and just overall being slow?
>>
>>102251989
If you have a main PC that you turn off at night then just freaking use it for the sake of testing the drive, or use it as a client throughout the day and turn it off at nights.

They can be problematic if left 24/7 because most (if not all) are chink-tier. But for testing they're good
>>
Why does qBittorent lag my PC to absolute shit when I'm downloading something?
>>
>>102252038
>If you have a main PC that you turn off at night then just freaking use it for the sake of testing the drive
Last I checked running badblocks takes 6-7 days on larger drives. Plus it's Windows, not Linux.
>>
>>102252108
Aight, you do what you must.
I already did my part by guiding you on what I believe you should do.
>>
>>102240862
Why isn't the power supply in a faraday cage?
>>
>>102245249
Have sex with him and give him your aids.
>>
>>102252121
Yeah, you told me to use badblocks on a Windows PC and thinks the test only takes a couple of minutes.
Retard.
Only helpful thing you told me was to run Linux on baremetal. So, thanks I guess.
>>
>>102252171
>calls someone retard while making retarded decisions
this is 4chan after all
>>
My TrueNAS server peaks at .8% utilization and it just seems like a waste
>>
>>102251751
>dd testing rules that out
oops, forget that was a ramdisk. ill do some tests on real storage.
>>
>>102252193
>calls someone retard because of their retarded advise
fix'd
It sounds like you don't even know how badblocks work. And how USB connections is a bad idea (not to mention it doesn't recognize SMART data). Not everyone has 50 PCs to be able to run hardware stress testing. I am making a logical choice by turning off my server for a couple of days and booting Linux baremetal in my server PC to extensively test hardware.
>>
>>102240862
I'm a computer repair guy. I go from home to home, transferring my backups to hard drives all over the county. Feds want to bust me? They better bust EVERY BODY.
>>
>>102252258
>I am making a logical choice by turning off my server for a couple of days and booting Linux baremetal in my server PC to extensively test hardware.

No, you're not and you're beyond retarded for a couple reasons. Let me explain myself.
>Server downtime
Tou're willing to turn off your server just for the sake of testing while you could easily do it on your desktop PC. Retarded.

>Muh Windows box
You know you can run a Linux Live CD on your desktop PC to test your hard drive? Retarded.

>Muh extensive badblocks test
So fucking what? Do you value your data or not? You're buying refurbished and that's retarded on its own. If you're willing to do that then might as well make sure the drive is alright. Retarded.

Off to >>>/g/sqt
>>
>>102252229
dd if=/dev/zero of=ramdisk/zeros bs=1k count=5M
5242880+0 records in
5242880+0 records out
5368709120 bytes (5.4 GB, 5.0 GiB) copied, 50.7534 s, 106 MB/s

sudo -u nfs-user dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/nfs/zeros bs=1k count=5M
5242880+0 records in
5242880+0 records out
5368709120 bytes (5.4 GB, 5.0 GiB) copied, 58.1652 s, 92.3 MB/s

huh, its actually only a bit slower.
>>
>>102252314
>m-muh downtime
I don't run a business where I need 24/7 uptime. This is H-O-M-E servers. I can live with my server offline.
>You know you can run a Linux Live CD on your desktop PC to test your hard drive? Retarded.
Can you read? I just said I don't leave my PC on 24/7. How do you expect me to complete the test then?
>>
>>102252377
Of course you can live with your server offline but YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO AVOID IT.

>I just said I don't leave my PC on 24/7. How do you expect me to c omplete the test then?
Are you fucking poor or what. The test runs only once and that's it. What's the matter if you leave 2 PC's on for 1 week? Fuck

Jesus Christ the retardation.
>>
>>102252409
>Are you fucking poor or what.
Yes.
>The test runs only once and that's it. What's the matter if you leave 2 PC's on for 1 week?
It also means I can't use my PC for 1 week. I have work and other shit I do on this PC.
>>
>>102252258
why do you need to take your server down
just run badblocks on it as it is before you write a filesystem to those drives
>>
>>102252429
nigger badblocks doesnt use up all your cpu or memory
in fact it uses very little of either
it absolutely does not mean you can't do anything else with that computer for a week
you are a retard. that other anon is clueless yes but you are a retard.
>>
>>102252513
Because that anon told me it's better to run linux baremetal. I don't have another machine to test hardware so I have to use the machine that is hosting my server.

>>102252529
Yeah, I can tell you can't read. I already said it's a Windows machine. badblocks is a Linux machine. To get badblocks running I have to boot into Linux. If I boot into Linux I cannot access my applications and files for work.
>>
>>102252566
>applications and files for work
I can't believe you'd sign the faggot agreement, how dare you.
>>
>>102252566
ok i scrolled up, your server is running proxmox
proxmox is literally just debian. you clearly have mental deficiencies.
>>
>>102252722
I am not going to install random shit in my host machine.
>>
incoming blog post
today my camwhore recording robot recorded one of the most amazing shows I've seen
Imma cum buckets to this, I'm so proud of my creation

>inb4 not server related
this is robot that sits on my homeserver, gets deployed automatically and reports only to my local network
>>
File: you.png (55 KB, 1024x949)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>102252808
>>
>>102250731
Let it die already. MediaWiki isn't a good tool for collaboration.
>>
>>102252769
its in e2fsprogs
you almost certainly already have it on your proxmox install
retard
>>
>>102252896
i tend to agree, though i dont see many better options.
if people used it properly it could be a great resource. but nobody has ever done that.
>>
This would be replacing a Tigerlake engineering sample gaming build that got pressed into NAS duty. I want to replace it because the tower just takes up too much room. I can 3d print a 10" server rack and chassis for an ITX setup and put that in one of my barristers with the door open. The ES CPU is also very inconsistent about letting hardware virtualization extension work. Sometimes I need to reboot 2-3 times to get virtualization to work right. Was a great low power (with a 6600M franken-gpu card) 1080p gayming rig, but it just leaves a lot to be desired for a NAS/homelab-server.

Should I go:
I3-N305 (alderlake) for $275
or
I7-1165G7 (tigerlake) for $301

Pros of the I3-N305:
>newer chip with better cores
>4 more "real" cores than the I7-1165G7
>DDR5
>cheaper
>more positive reviews

Pros of the I7-1165G7:
>Not made of little cores
>has a good AVX-512 implementation (I run gentoo and compile with -mprefer-vector-width=512 system-wide, so the auto-vectorizer does make use AVX512 instructions when it can; mostly has no noticible effect except for stuff like CPU video encoding)
>DDR4 memory is cheaper
>Probably wouldn't need to recompile anything, or reinstall Gentoo, just move my storage over and turn on.

Both will probably be a significant performance drop for stuff like AV1 encoding, but it isn't like it matters if it takes double the amount of time for me to re-encode a porno to AV1. I just a bit torn on which is the better option.

Will the more modern cores in the N305 and the faster DDR5 memory work out better than having AVX512 available for workloads that can take advantage of the instructions?

Is 8 gracemont cores better for VMs and containers compared to 4 hyper-threaded willow cove cores?
>>
>>102253293
What's your usecase / workload of the server?
If you're going to run services that might potentially tax the CPU (Ex.: Minecraft) then you should go with i7
>>
>>102253366
Use case is:
>general NAS for myself, accessed through NFS
>iSCSI drive setup for my wife to backup her writing work locally, in a way that doesn't look technically complex to her
>jellyfin with 3 users, but mostly just 2 using it at once
>my local gitlab - though I barely use it
>pihole and DNS
>me experimenting with homelab stuff. Mainly learning how to use VMs, and howto create images for arm & riscv boards that don't have UEFI available to them
>spare CPU cycles donated to various BOINC projects
>>
redpill me on usenet
>>
>>102253293
>>
>>102253504
I thought that issue was overblown, and limited to a specific contract/lot of i226-V NICs, not ALL i226-V NICs?

Anyways, usb->rj45 or usb->sfp, if they don't work. There are plenty of homelab servers and server clusters that have their connections through such adapters.

>>102253460
Last place you can get TTB sets for free.

In all seriousness, if there is a file you know used to be available online, but cant find anywhere, and the download isn't archived, then there is a decent chance you can find it on usenet.

However, be careful what you get off of usenet. There is very illegal content that is a likely honey-pot. There really isn't anything inherently secure about usenet, other than it is pretty obscure nowadays.
>>
Can anyone explain what ECC memory actually does? Does it prevent bitrot? Does it prevent bitflips when downloading to a disk?
>>
>>102253403
>Both have similar multi core perf
i7
>Better single core
>Better graphics
i3
>Lower power consumption

I'd go with the i7
>>
>>102253706 (me)
Oh and forgot, in case you go with the i3 I don't think you'd have to think about recompiling provided you used the default flags and not some specific optimizations for your previous CPU
>>
>>102253698
it adds error-checking to memory. it prevents bit-flips specifically in transit from memory to cpu, and vice versa.
>>
>>102253859
>specifically in transit from memory to cpu
Yeah, I don't get what this means. Can you give an example?
If I were to download a text file from the internet, for example '00000000', would ECC prevent a random 0 from turning into 1?
>>
>>102253896
well for starters, stuff from the internet is sent in packets, which compose ssl records, which compose http messages, and each of those layers has its own error-checking. however, the data doesnt go directly from your NIC to the memory, the cpu has to send it over. if the data gets corrupted on its way over to the memory, the cpu will catch it, even without ECC (the error checking is done on the cpu, at least for most protocols). once the raw data is constructed in memory, it now has to go to the hard drive via SATA/SAS or whatever. if you filesystem has error checking, then the data is sent from memory to the cpu, the cpu wraps it in whatever error-checking you file system uses, and then gets sent to the drive controller. if it gets corrupted either during transit or during write, the error-checking can correct it or at least detect it. but what about if the raw data in the memory gets corrupted, either by a wild neutron flipping a bit, or during transit to the cpu? in that particular case, ECC will save you. error-checking already exists all around your system when data is being transferred, but error-checking every single piece of data that gets sent between the cpu and memory is simply too arduous without dedicated hardware for it.
>>
>>102253698
it detects memory errors
it corrects single-bit errors
>>102254030
>the data doesnt go directly from your NIC to the memory
what is dma
>>
>>102254108
>what is dma
sorry, i meant that the data has to stop at your cpu in order to reconstruct the data.
>>
Does qbit bot work on trueNAS? A friend of mine told me so I want to make if was just a skill issue.
>>
>>102254108
Not that anon but why can't ecc be done at software level like filesystem checksumming
>>
File: offline-backup.jpg (220 KB, 754x754)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>102240862
i'm in similar situation. I have hot-swap HDDs with a second ZFS pool, simply sending the snapshots to them every month. I should probably grab some antistatic bags though.
I wouldn't trust tapes, i like being able to test my HDDs anytime i wish, as well as doing incremental backups, or deleting older snapshots if i run out of space. LTO seems too limiting.
>>
File: jmb585.jpg (258 KB, 790x1052)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
for fucks sake, i visit this general maybe once a month, but everytime i do there's a new chink mobo in town that makes people contemplate building a NAS with
>i226-V
already mentioned by the other anon
>2 onboard SATA, 4x SATA behind JMB585
always remember, a rule of thumb: Intel Atom and Mobile chips have no IO. If they have more than 2 SATA ports, they are most likely behind some shitty controller. In this case, it's JMicron, but I'd avoid anything by AsMedia or Marvell too.
For SATA expansion, only use PCIe SAS HBA in IT mode (they work with SATA too).
Also see the archives: >>101518388 >>101439113 >>101199587 >>98908474 >>98065321 >>97831687 >>97754576
>>
>>102255878
meant for >>102253293
>>
>>102255878
Based enterprisefren.
>>
>>102252108
>Plus it's Windows, not Linux.
I test new drives by popping them in Windows and opening hdsentinel. If it says it's good then I'm good. Yolo.
>>
>>102256697
based
i am paranoid but not super paranoid. i just do smartcl -t long /dev/sdX
Just let it run and if it passes then it passes.
>>
i have three subnets with vlans for servers: management, internal services and exposed services (port forwarding). each has a docker host vm

now i want to deploy an sso like authentik which also needs to be publicly accessible. the question is: is it fine to use authentiks internal ldap provider or should i deploy something like LLDAP on the internal network, link it to authentik and allow the docker host to communicate with that
>>
>>102255878
>further checking on the i226-V issue and it is revealed that people with issues have old switches/routers, and whatever the cheapest CAT 5 cable's they've been using for the past 10 years...it is a nothingburger if you have proper 2.5G capable equipment
>if it is an issue, than usb3->rj45 or usb3->sfp
>neither board is an Intel Atom, both have i# cpus with the proper i/o to support
>JMB585 is connected via PCIe Gen3x2, and is providing just shy of 500MB/s connectivity to each SATA port via the SFF connector. This is more bandwidth than spinning rust in a homelab would ever need.
>>
>>102257930
Never had a problem with any of the realtek 2,5gb ethernet cards and usb adapters I have.
Too bad Pfsense refuses to support more superior hardware over Killer oops I mean intels dumpster fire nics.
>>
has anyone tried badblocks -b 16384? seems like the recommended is 4096. what would increasing the block size do?
>>
>>102257930
It is a problem with Cat6 cabling and EEE enabled on Cisco Catalyst 1000 switches too. 100 Mbps speeds only when EEE is enabled and unidirectionally with single-stream TCP, not UDP or multi-stream.
>>
>>102247039
Huh, this time when it happened again I restarted the OPNsense box and everything worked. This is some spooky shit.
>>
>>102258963
>OPNSense
Found your problem, just use pfSense

I've recommended multiple times over here to use pf instead of opn
>>
>>102257930
>JMB585 (...) is providing just shy of 500MB/s connectivity to each SATA port
>This is more bandwidth than spinning rust in a homelab would ever need.
it is not about bandwidth, it's about reliability. For some reason, every SATA controller brand is fucked in some way. PCIe SATA sounds like something that should have been a solved problem years ago, but somehow it isn't.
My AsMedia based card throws ZFS errors under load on any disk connected to it. Tried different cables, swapped the drives between AHCI and AsMedia, always only the disks currently connected to that AsMedia card threw errors.
People have been reporting the same issue on JMicron and Marvell cards too, so i have no reason to trust those brands as well.
I know it's a meme with jgreco on truenas forums going on crusade against SATA controllers, but it's actually true. I myself thought "i don't need SAS HBA" until i got burned with AsMedia.
Don't risk your data.
>>
>>102259007
OPNSense is better than pfSense.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/opnsense/comments/18z9xew/opnsense_vs_pfsense/
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/15fyknn/opnsense_or_pfsense/
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/17m70cj/question_thinking_to_get_a_real_firewall/
https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/1bfxbur/opnsense_vs_pfsense/

Look at every single comment in those threads. EVERY single one recommends OPNSense over PfSense. They also give detailed explanations why.
>>
>>102259375
>>102259428
>Netgate hurt my feelings!
>not a single valid, technical reason
>>
>>102259567
Plenty of comments pointed out poor implementation of features they rolled out and various other issues.

(You) haven't listed a single valid reason why Anon should use pfSense over OPNSense, especially when they already have a working system and didn't say anything about wanting to switch. That's very odd.
>>
>>102259601
>Valid reason why not to use OPNSense
Fair, go ahead and try to setup a pfSense HA cluster following their docs/instructions. I'll wait.

Spoiler for you: Their documentation sucks and HA doesn't work

Netgate can be shit and whatever but they have a product that works and guess what, routers don't need to be upgraded weekly as long as they work.
>>
>>102259661
**OPNSense HA cluster, my bad
>>
>>102259672
skill issue
>>
>>102255323
you totally can. just rewrite your kernel to split your DRAM in half and run it in a sort of raid1. this will kill your performance however (as well as be extremely wasteful), so its better to do it with hardware.
>>
>>102259007
>>102259601
I mean, it seems to be working fine most of the time, but I have yet to do much configuration. Things hanging up is really weird though. Also, isn't PfSense ARM only?
>>
>>102260529
>isn't PfSense ARM only?
it has installation images for AMD64
>>
File: 1721801264019596.jpg (314 KB, 1080x1350)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
>>102240442
Recommend me drives for my future NAS
>>
>>102260590
Most folks here recommend Enterprise ones, I have WD Red Pros and they've been good, can recommend
>>
>>102260590
whatever is cheap per TB, I'm using 20TB Exos drives
>>
i want to host stuff on a old pc and I want to open it to the public (port forward etc). Are there any noob guides about security hardening for cases like this?
>>
My TrueNAS server peaks at 2% utilization. Any suggestions on how I should utilize the rest of it?
>>
>>102260590
I buy manufacturer recertified WD Ultrastar HC520 HUH721212ALN600
>>
>>102260590
Used micron & samsung enterprise ssd's

>>102261381
https://github.com/ovh/debian-cis
>>
>>102255878
asmedia and marvell are both fine.
>only use sas hba for sata
if you're using ssds or you need more than ~8 drives, sure.
but for a handful of sata hdds it literally does not matter as long as you stay far away from jmicron.
>>
>>102262557
>asmedia and marvell are both fine.
my asmedia card disagrees: >>102259088
>>
>>102260590
they've got used drives for cheap on ebay if you're willing to go slumming for storage, I got 2 4TB hard drives for $50 for both of em. Just wipe it IMMEDIATELY so you don't accidentally have a cunny stash.
>>
>>102257930
>usb nics
they're all shit. every single one of them is shit and they will race your usb controller to see which shits itself first.
>JMB585 is connected via PCIe Gen3x2 [..] more bandwidth than spinning rust in a homelab would ever need.
irrelevant. jmicron controllers have had horrific bugs in the past and you should steer clear.
you wont find jmicron chips in any motherboard from a reputable brand but asmedia and marvell are very common, marvell less so now. theres good reasons for that.

>>102258435
you use 4096 because thats the native sector size all hdds have used since 2011. on older drives its either 512 or 4096.
if you run it on a formatted drive it should be the blocksize of the filesystem.

>>102262600
update the firmware.
>>
>>102262600
if the firmware is up to date its probably a build quality issue
those m.2 sata controllers on aliexpress are universally poorly made, irrespective of the chip vendor, so theres a good chance that whatever issues you have while using them are due to signalling and interference.
>>
>>102260590
ebay. there are a few reputable bulk hdd sellers that give you good warranty.
2-3yo datacenter hdd's will last you probably 2 decades.
>>
>>102262873
Why would they sell them?
>>
>>102263731
Business equipment gets written off on a tiny lifespan, which is the entire premise of /tpg/.
>>
it seems used sas drives are a lot cheaper than sata but i don't really need the extra speed, power consumption and cooling requirements
so could sas drives be throttled so that they perform similar to sata?
>>
Has anyone here ever got a Ubiquiti 10G copper SFP to actually work? I picked one up a while ago to add a 10G connection from my home server to my core switch, but I never got a link light on the 10G interface. I connect it to a 1G interface and it works, though.
>>
>>102255878
marvell makes great controllers, don't lump them in
>>
>>102264079
they don't work if the sfp cable isn't the same brand as everything else. amazon sells cables that pretend to be whatever brand you need tho
>>
File: hsg.jpg (15 KB, 859x143)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
my server is a thin client
>>
>>102264874
Nice
>>
Anyone self host their own websites via nas? How painful is it?
>>
>>102263996
i assume you're talking about ssds cause if you mean hdds you're very dumb
its not like they use that power all the time anon
at idle they'll use <1w. if you don't write to/read from them constantly all the time at those maximum speeds power and cooling shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>102265420
next
>>
>>102265308
If you're starting from 0 knowledge, it can be a frustrating pain in the ass. If you know what you're doing, it's basically trivial.
>>
>>102265771
I've ran websites before, but always payed for hosting as I was lazy and didn't have equipment for a home server, but I've got a synology setup now, and was curious if its a better alternative than paying for someone else to do it.

Hosting is so cheap nowadays, honestly not sure its worth the energy cost of running the NAS 24/7. Trying to figure that out now.
>>
>>102265308
Your experience depends on some factors:
>Amount of users
If that's only for your porn needs then guaranteed it'll be good
>Website bloat
Hosting huge site with tons of JS? It can get painful
>Storage speed & network
Nothing much to say here, the fast both are, the better and the factors above dissapear

That said, you have to take into consideration all 3 in the equation. Of course the less painful would be to locally host a singe porn page for yourself with a very fast SSD. Which as a matter of fact it's my case:
>Stash for porn
>Under a Samsung 980 Pro
>>
>>102266020
Super minimal, basically one page with an about me for work references, projects, etc.
>>
>>102266059
You gon' be fine
>>
we have a homeserver at home
>>
Anyone using Snapraid? I removed a failing drive that had data in it then I sync'd. Now I don't know how to get the data from the parity drive to 'rebuild' my storage drive.
I think I fucked up. I wasn't supposed to sync and rather supposed to fix. Oh well. Didn't lose anything since I had a backup. Lesson learned.
>>
>>102265809
>not sure its worth the energy cost of running the NAS 24/7
not unless you have a lot of data you want to share

good shared hosting is <$10 a year. a good vps is $5 a month. hell you can get good dedicated servers for $5 a month.
>>
>>102267099
fly by night
>>
>>102267174
what?
>>
>>102247039
Guise, I think I figured it out. Looks like my 50G qcow2 OPNsense image is full. For some reason that results in dhcp4 going haywire after a while (the only service I restarted to get it working again before noticing "disk 107%" on the dashboard), as opposed to the whole thing not working anymore.

Interesting that restarting the switch also fixed things, but I guess that resulted in dhcp4 restarting too.
>>
Why does plex transcode HDR content if I'm playing 7.1 audio? But if there is 5.1 audio is plays fine? I feel like the Shield is actually shit hardware and having a laptop with HDMI out is almost better
>>
>>102268397
Kek, I changed from the default 31 in number of days to keep logfiles to 7, then reset the logs. Went down to 7% disk utilization now. Will investigate further.
>>
Any reason why a password which works fine over ssh and in the WebGUI of OPNsense, but not the console? It's a different keyboard layout, but I've confirmed I'm typing it correctly by checking on the "login:" prompt. Do symbols in the password field magically add extra characters or something maybe?
>>
>>102264874
Sucks to suck.
>>
im ditching flannel for cilium
it's time to learn ebpf
>>
>>102268397
>>102268536
>>102269306
lmao @ OPNsense
>>
>>102245249
check your computer clock for drift. some ISPs enforce time on DHCP negotiation.
>>
>>102268397
lol you have a 3850 just put your SVIs on it and DHCP scopes. ACLs if you want as well. Make sure you put the reverse directionality for ACLs attached to an SVI though, that's how they work when attached to an SVI.
>>
>>102269306
do you have any exclamation points or strange characters in your pw?
>>
>>102264079
copper 10g SFP+ requires too much power per port for that shitty device. ~5w.
>>
File: 1560302075412.jpg (100 KB, 720x960)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>102253403
>spare cycles donated to botnet
It's for a good cause, trust me bro
>>
File: cheesewall.jpg (127 KB, 1200x675)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>102260590
I only buy 8tb slower 5400 RPM drives (WD Blue). I run a few RAID arrays and a ZFS pool with them, virtually silent in the enclosures I have them in
>>
Wiki is down so I will ask here--gradually buying parts for a home server build, but it will be a few months before it is viable, so I am thinking of getting some kind of small 2-bay NAS solution so I can have some cheaper redundancy/security as I work toward the server. I have an 18tb Seawolf and will probably get another. Is there a NAS solution that is cheap and easy for a temporary stopgap or are those little NAS devices advertised everywhere so cucked out with proprietary software that it isn't even worth it as a temporary measure?
>>
>>102240442
My intel arc a310 comes today bros. I'm excited.
>>
>>102273582
Why is he building a wall out of cheese?
>>
>>102273629
SMBs use big name NAS appliances successfully. Avoid chink DIY shit.
You shouldn't expect to run or virtualize services on a NAS.
Hyperconverged storage is better in the long term.
>>
File: 1564790177917.jpg (47 KB, 600x600)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>102273922
Because Mongolians are overwhelmingly lactose intolerant
>>
>>102273629
if you're desperate, just get two single drive USB -> SATA's + power setups and plan for intermittent connection issues. any multi-drive that's decent is going to cost as much as a basic computer so you might as well just build one
>>
File: 1573011237880.png (56 KB, 284x529)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>102274311
usb to sata "connection stability" is a boomer meme. I use 20gbps usb-c to connect my drive enclosure to an unraid mini-PC, never had an issue.
>>
>>102274149
w2c
>>
>>102274612
what happens if you accidentally unplug that tiny connector
>>
>>102240442
holy molly, I just discovered cockpit project <dot> org thanks to <r slash> selfhosted.
I didn't need to write that systemd monitor after all.
I think I'm packing up and going back, gents.

Enjoy the PC building posting,
>>
>>102274954
>plebbit shill leaving
excellent
>>
>>102240862
cutting a rectangular hole in foam for cables is CRINGE
cut a circular hole with correctly spaced holes on the inside for each connector.
make the ladies swoon.
>>
>>102273718
>a310
What's it good for? Being quiet or something?
>>
>>102275086
I'm more worried about the lack of a bag around the electrical connector. It'll get fried.
>>
>>102240442
>ubiquiti shit
perfect meme. reminiscent of fake porn in mcmansion all white/grey high heels leather couch fake tits fake hair fake face fake screaming oh yeah oh yeah can't feel a thing doped up to the eyeballs guy hasn't been able to get hard in a decade.
soulless.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (50 KB, 705x705)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>102274699
>what happens when you unplug your serial cable?
>heh, checkmate
>>
>>102274954
someone recommended that here a couple of threads ago
should have lurked more
>>
>>102272003
plz no bully

I do owe my beautiful Cisco switch an apology though.

>>102272685
Too much of a retard to do be able to that yet I'm afraid.

>>102272693
Yes. They show up fine outside the password prompt, but I guess everything goes wrong within it?
>>
>>102275207
it has screws or casing
it won't unplug if a cat trips over it
>>
>>102274612
probably just a shitty mobo on my end. lots of usb connection issues not just over SATA

>>102274699
same as if you lost power randomly. some garbage data, but the file system probably knows how to recover
>>
>>102275219
I did
And the reply to my post was
>haha cock pit :D
>>
>>102275241
alright gonna build a 16 disk zfs usbc pool
>>
>>102275431
kek. a careful read of your motherboard's specifications will probably point out why that's a bad idea, but I'd love to see the results all the same
>>
File: bl77cx07pckd1.png (1.02 MB, 1400x1126)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>hsg
>>
>>102242126
I sleep next to my bed (not even kidding).
>>
what's the point of a home server?
>>
>>102275839
>NAS
Automatic backups for my family members' PC's
>Game server
Minecraft with my buddies, 'nuff said
>Git
Hosting my personal NSFW projects
>CI
Building and deploying my personal projects
>Media
Streaming the music I download
>DB
Sharing databases across all my devices for development
>Router/VPN
Remote access to all my home devices from anywhere in the world

There are more of course
>>
File: 1587227877449.jpg (21 KB, 640x481)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>102275839
I hand out URLs to co-workers that lead them to my machine. I then use their MAC addresses to stir the pot on our company network.
>>
>>102275839
It's for those who can't afford "the cloud".
>>
>>102277052
this but unironically (the price of the cloud is your soul)
>>
>>102275120
Good at transcoding
>>
>>102277052
if you're not leveraging the cloud for dynamic provisioning there's literally no reason to pay the upcharge over a physical server
>>
File: 1715302631386038.jpg (715 KB, 2048x2048)
715 KB
715 KB JPG
So I installed authelia and it's easy enough to put a login portal in front of the loginless apps but holy shit linking apps with OpenID looks like such a chore. Is it even worth the trouble?
>>
>>102273531
Can you demonstrate that it is not for a good cause?

My mind is changeable, but you will need to show me proof.
>>
>>102240442
Any alternatives to Nextcloud?
>>
>>102281313
Previouscloud
>>
>>102281313
currentcloud
>>
File: 1722601242089538.png (261 KB, 573x613)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
so I'm a newbie at this. i finally set up wireguard easy on my server and it's been so nice accessing my computer while i'm away.
two things. I had to reboot my router and my IP reset so I had to edit it in my conf file. any way to avoid this?
secondly, wg_easy only works on my devices when my devices are on mobile data and not when I'm connected to wifi networks.any idea what I can do?
>>
>>102282512
>two things. I had to reboot my router and my IP reset so I had to edit it in my conf file. any way to avoid this?
Assign your machine a static IP in your router's settings. If it doesn't allow this, presumably because it's some faggy ISP loaner hardware, it might be time to get a proper router/modem, which I highly recommend anyway.
Never had to deal with wg_easy, but jewgle suggests it's a subnetting conflict, for what it's worth.
>>
>>102282899
>subnetting conflict
That’s what I’m reading as well.
And for the IP thing, I meant my public IP. I am able to assign static IP internally
>>
>>102283143
use a domain and dynamicdns
afraid.org or duckdns work
>>
>>102281313
Windows Server 2012
>>
File: 1711935783352070.png (38 KB, 184x184)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
Dear /hsg/ay. Should I spin my 14tb white label drive (wd mybook usb enclosure) down about every 15hours or should I have it spinning at 7200rpm 24/7?
The latter seems quite wasteful but I've heard that spinning drives down and up frequently will lead to decreased lifespan, so I'm not quite sure what to believe.
>>
>>102275629
Literally me
>>
>>102281313
syncthing. i went from owncloud -> nextcloud -> seafile -> syncthing. but it fit my usecase.... you havn't described yours
>>
how do you guys stream music from your servers? I have some FLACs I want to consolidate there
>>
>>102285568
nvm jellyfin seems to work perfectly
>>
>>102285568
airsonic-advanced and Dsub as the client, it's brilliant. Specifically because it has folder based browsing if you need it like I do. Navidrome is probably better if you prefer browsing by tags, but those two are still extremely fast with big libraries.
>>
>>102285568
mpd ncmpcpp malp
>>
>>102284154
>15 hour spindown timer
whats the point, it'll never be reached.
constant spinup/down causes increased wear on the motor but worrying about it is retarded unless your disks are unusually warm/cold.
set it to 30 minutes (or less) don't bother. 30 minutes is default for many disks.

also your disk probably isnt spinning at its full 7200rpm unless its being used, most idle at 4-5k rpm by default.
>>
Why are there so many VPN toddlers in /hsg/ all of the sudden, all attempting to use an experimental and not well-supported WireGuard instead of IKEv2/IPsec?
I'm convinced WireGuard users are here to create the most amount of trouble for themselves and others.
>>
>>102286379
as if IKEv2 is well-supported, you could have at least recommended L2TP
>>
>>102286465
Quite the opposite, as L2TP has been removed from Android 12 or 13.
>>
>>102286379
what are you still doing here
nobody posting in esg (enterprise schizo general)?
>>
>>102286379
It just works and I like it
>>
>>102286379
> attempting to use an experimental and not well-supported WireGuard
I am using it, not attempting to. Why do you think that WireGuard is experimental and not well-supported? All my devices run WireGuard perfectly fine with no issues whatsoever.

> Why
Because WireGuard has less attack surface and i can use post-quantum encryption with it. I also like the simplicity of it. Why should i use anything else?
>>
File: file.png (32 KB, 756x216)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>102286379
get owned buddy
>>
>>102279967
> linking apps with OpenID looks like such a chore
What? I'm not familiar with authelia specifically, but have used a handful of other oidc providers before. You just create a new service and then fill in some urls, the client id and maybe a secret in your service configuration. Setting up scopes and groups may take some more time, but maybe 5 minutes max per service.

> Is it even worth the trouble?
Imo yes, very much. It is so much easier to have just one account for all services. I can also create groups for other people and control what they can access centrally.
>>
>>102287336
it's also used in cloud native networking to provide transparent encryption between endpoints, it doesn't get any more enterprise than that
>>
>>102286379
>bait
>>102282512
ok nvm, we have legit retards here
>>
>>102287984
Fuck you bitch. Not all of us coming here are experts
>>
>>102287441
Windows server has this perfected but yall won't just put AD DS on a VM, It literally takes like 30 minutes to have it all set up baka
>>
File: 13-140-010-V01.jpg (439 KB, 1280x1055)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
So what's the best value ATM for a full fledge server platform?
You can currently get a brand new epyc 7551 and a new SP3 board for like $650
Anything even cheaper (don't care if used) that is stil somewhat modern, maybe on Intel's side?
>>
>>102288574
Cheaper would be ASRock Rack motherboards for consumer CPU's, they have for AM4 and AM5 platforms AFAIK. Certainly the boards aren't cheap but the CPU's surely are
>>
>>102282512
You have to request a static IP from your ISP or use Dynamic DNS as >>102283245 said.
Static IP is best tho
>>
>>102284154
>wasteful
keep it spinning, it probably costs less than $1 per month.

it's a mechanical device, spin up and down will always be more risky than keeping it spinning.

the one exception is when you have that usb drive on you desk and every bump gets translated to the spinning drive.
>>
>>102287330
>Why do you think that WireGuard is experimental and not well-supported?
Have you seen WireGuard support in Palo Alto Networks or FortiGate firewalls, either of these used by major enterprises? It's not possible to terminate WireGuard on the firewall, only IPsec.

https://docs.redhat.com/en/documentation/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html/configuring_and_managing_networking/assembly_setting-up-a-wireguard-vpn_configuring-and-managing-networking
>WireGuard is provided as a Technology Preview only. Technology Preview features are not supported with Red Hat production Service Level Agreements (SLAs), might not be functionally complete, and Red Hat does not recommend using them for production. These previews provide early access to upcoming product features, enabling customers to test functionality and provide feedback during the development process.
>During the development of a Technology Preview feature, additional components may become available to the public for testing. Because Technology Preview features are still under development, Red Hat cannot guarantee the stability of such features. As a result, if you are using Technology Preview features, you may not be able to seamlessly upgrade to subsequent releases of that feature. While Red Hat intends to fully support Technology Preview features in future releases, we may discover that a feature does not meet the standards for enterprise viability. If this happens, we cannot guarantee that Technology Preview features will be released in a supported manner. Some Technology Preview features may only be available for specific hardware architectures.
>You can use WireGuard only if the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) mode in RHEL is disabled.

You'll find native support and integration for IPsec in the majority of distributions, in software. The same is untrue about WireGuard.
How are you managing WireGuard at scale? How are you integrating multi-factor authentication and single sign-on with it?
>>
>>102289310
go suck on citrix cock, enterpriseschizo
>>
>>102288574
used supermicro H11SSL boards are pretty popular right now
>>
>>102239960
>remote game streaming
If you mean streaming games from your home server around the world, the latency is probably too high for that to make any kind of sense.
>>102273718
Enjoy, I've been loving mine. As a side note, it also accelerates trickplay creation in jellyfin, which is especially nice if you have a huge library.
>>102275629
lel
>>102285568
navidrome
>>102286379
I used wireguard because when I set it up it was the most performant option.
>>
>>102289310
This is true and valid for enterprise environments.
Source: Just got onboarded to a big corp and they use IPSec.

However this doesn't matter for non-enterprise environments like for example your HOME SERVER
>>
>>102273718
What does this comment have something to do with server hardware discussion?
>>
Are there recent options for enterprise class m.2 nvme ssd's that are still 2280 or less? Micron potentially?
>>
>>102289647
Other than Micron, the only other semi-enterprise 2280 drives I've seen are Samsung PM9A2 but I've only ever seen them inside Google ATM for boot drives.
>>
>>102289647
Dell EMC lists a few SK Hynix and Micron M.2 NVMe drives for their BOSS-N1 cards.
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/boss-s-1/boss-n1_ug/supported-m2-drives-of-boss-n1-monolithic-boss-n1-modular-et-and-boss-n1-modular-controllers?guid=guid-da5447d5-617c-4a2d-8f9f-14b2717a6df1&lang=en-us

For BOSS-S1, it was M.2 SATA drives from Intel and Micron.
>>
>>102289632
av1 hardware encoding for $100 and 30w, faggot
>>
>>102289791
It's not Intel Flex series.
>>
>Lose TWO drives at about the same time, only have 1 snapraid parity
>No warning in smart btw
>Drives weren't storing anything important, but inconvenient just the same
>Use snapraid and torrents to recover just about everything on to new drives in a day
>Only thing I couldn't recover were old backups I forgot I made
It wasn't data I really cared about, but snapraid still saved me a lot of time. Feels good bros. I think it helped there wasn't that much on the second drive.
>>102266716
Oh just saw this. Yes anon, once you sync your parity is rebuilt, you are supposed to fix if you lose a drive. Good job having a backup.
>>
>>102289799
>intel flex series
Anon, the rest of us aren't made of money...
>>
>>102290326
Then you better be happy to have VP9, HEVC/H265 available for much cheaper with Intel Xeon processors with QuickSync Video capability.
>>
This thread has inspired me to make a home server. I figured I'd start with a simple file server that can act as my main storage repo.

I have an old pc with twin 12TB WD reds and proxmox installed on a128GB SSD and I plan to create a ZFS pool with both HDDs. For my immediate purposes, is there a better way to go about setting up a file server that is meant to store data longterm and ensure data integrity?
>>
>>102290539
Hows your linux knowledge?
>>
>>102290539
This won't work well, for a few reasons. You haven't mentioned a HBA to passthrough to a storage controller to a NAS virtual machine. You're using an old PC, instead of server hardware. You're missing at least two more identical HDDs to utilize striped mirrors (RAID10) for performance, or alternatively you're not using flash storage everywhere. Lastly, you're using ZFS, which is practically experimental or unsupported in anything but Proxmox VE; PVE also doesn't give you in-depth storage administration capabilities by itself, for setting up SMB / NFS shares and permissions.
>>
>>102289310
outdated shit
>>
>>102286379
wg is easier to configure, has a very small codebase, and it outperforms the other options. What's not to like? Simple is better.
>>
>>102273718
stats are nice but im looking for something x4ish
>>
>>102286379
>hey guys this is /enterprise general/ not /homelab general/ right?
>>
>>102290616
I dabble in RHEL and Debian based distros. I have dd'd before.

>>102290617
You are correct, I left HBA out because I was hoping Proxmox VE would handle the pools itself.
>PVE also doesn't give you in-depth storage administration capabilities by itself, for setting up SMB / NFS shares and permissions.
One reason I went with PVE over, say, TrueNAS Scale was because I wanted to make use of its hypervisor for future expansions. For example, I was thinking of having a Windows VM for whenever the need arises, or some lite distro where I can run pihole, squid, lighttpd, etc. Sorry for moving goalposts, but is what I'm desiring not looking like it's a good fit for PVE?
>>
>>102287330
>>102290713
Simpler does not mean more secure. How are you integrating multi-factor authentication (e.g. hardware security keys) and single sign-on with it?
>>
>>102290833
You will need better hardware, that's why I didn't suggest other software because it can't fix your inadequate hardware or it would be unsupported on your hardware.
The hypervisor is your choice after all, but Proxmox VE isn't truly ready for large enterprises for enjoyment.
Look into setting up hyperconverged storage with your next goal.
>>
>>102290833
>I dabble in RHEL and Debian based distros. I have dd'd before.
Well, first thing you want to do..
imagine you have important data there
imagine mofo failed
what will be your go-to procedure to get to the data on those 2x zfs pool
>>
>>102291101
>mofo
mobo, on the server
>>
>>102240442
My old wifi router is slowly falling apart and I was wondering what /g/ is thinking of BananaPi routers.
Mainly for running OpenWRT in a home network.
>>
>>102291132
We're not /g/, this is our chat. No OpenWRT allowed.
>>
>>102291132
all armshit devices must fucking hang
that's what i think

there are refurbished mini pcs with pcie slot, buy a riser + 4 port nic at around 4W idle
dont buy n100 chinkshit
>>
>>102291132
>>102291193 (Me)
In /hsg/, tinkering is avoided, ease of administration is preferred. Adoption by enterprises and the availability of enterprise support contracts is a priority, for enjoyment. OpenWRT does not have fit in, it has no corporate backing, lacks features and support compared to off-the-shelf router and firewall hardware.

Regarding Banana Pi and other chink shit:

This is the wrong general for you, buddy. >>>/g/csg
>>
>>102291193
you aren't one of us
>>
>>102291239
stop trolling unfunny retard
>>
>>102290943
> Simpler does not mean more secure
No, but its the reason i use it + it reduces attack surface.

>>102289310
> Wireguard in hardware network appliances
I don't terminate my VPNs on my firewall, i have a router for that. Also >>102289591.

> Redhat
Well yes they are going to say its a Technology Preview because they don't want to be liable for it. This doesn't mean that its experimental though.

> support for wireguard in distributions
Last time i checked every relevant linux distribution ships a kernel with wireguard support.

> Managing at scale / mfa
Netbird or Tailscale / headscale
>>
>>102290532
I need av1 though for the quality at low bitrates. ARC meets my needs and doesn't require me to change CPU and chipset/motherboard.
>>
>>102291101
that's a good thought experiment. Assuming my drives aren't encrypted (which I don't plan to), I understand that you should export zpools regularly via `zpool export`. I don't really know what it exports or how big of an export it is, but having that handy is something I was planning to do. Backing it up would be another topic, but if it's a tiny file, I was going to keep it on a thumb drive and somewhere in the cloud. Restoring a new mobo would be a matter of running `zpool import` with the export I backed up twice.

How's that?

>>102291079
I have a friend who is looking to get rid of a Jonsbo N1 case with an Intel 12thgen i5 and (I believe) 32GB of DDR5 RAM. Would that change anything? Would an HBA be required still if the idea is to manage ZFS via PVE directly? Or Should I just accept that ZFS isn't meant to be managed by PVE?
>>
>>102291379
But then you aren't talking about server hardware anymore. You're using a consumer graphics card, which has no support from major OEM e.g. Dell (unlike Intel Flex).
This really sounds like it's not server discussion, but your desktop PC or workstation.
>>
For those of you sharing jellyfin shares with your friends and family, is there anything I can do so they can stream 4k remuxes from the homeserver? Bandwidth wise, I have symmetric fiber gigabit, and they have gigabit download, but we still get a lot of playback freezing when trying to direct stream, even though latency is only around 20ms. If I do a speedtest to my server from a friend's house I get 400mbps or so. Not sure what the problem is.
Would a VPS help at all to ensure better routing between our residential ISPs?
>>
>>102291132
if I get a faster internet connection that's the one I'm going with, it looks pretty nice (and ignore enterpriseschizo, openwrt is great)
>>
>>102291411
export is just something like proper safe unmount
if it was not exported then during mount on some other system you will have to use -f flag to force it

the rest I have no idea what you are talking about, what file backing up...

also you might want to investigate snapraid and mergerfs, thought thats more on case where you have like many various size drives
>>
>>102291411
Typically consumer hardware is ill-advised, particularly for ZFS' reliability, but also due to lack of remote server management capabilities. ECC memory is recommendable. Intel Xeon or AMD EPYC processors are used in servers, with much better support for server use cases.
If you intend to create NAS volumes and passthrough a storage controller (HBA) to a storage VM, you'll (obviously) need a HBA. Note your hypervisor's boot drive(s) can't be on the same HBA in that scenario. ZFS doesn't play well with hardware RAID cards.
PVE can create a ZFS pool for you from the web UI, however practically ZFS needs to be managed in the CLI with it. PVE handles creating zvols automatically (with local storage) for virtual machines on PVE. For iSCSI management, it's a bit lacking in features.
>>
>>102291438
>>>/g/esg/
Sorry mate but you're the one offtopic here, know your place
>>
File: 1725820844.png (137 KB, 603x839)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
Had big fucking 1700 words comment ready with TL;DR at top and details and pastebin links
decided to put docker compose in to chatgpt if it sees some issues..
yeap, mongo db binmount I had as
`./mongo_db_data:/data`
should have been
`./mongo_db_data:/data/db`

it all worked, even on power outages
but it never worked if I downed it and upped it again

so I also asked chatgpt if theres difference between poweroutage and downing.. seems there is
and Ive been in to docker for 3 years and still dunno this stuff
chat is fucking good though
>>
>>102287655
we have cloud at home

cloud at home
>ftp
>>
>>102290833
ignore this retard >>102291079 >>102290617
>>
>>102290539
That's fine to start with. Most people recommend having mirrored SSDs for proxmox too but it's not strictly necessary. Proxmox will make a zfs pool of the single 128gb ssd and you can add a second one as a mirror later, I would just setup automatic zfs send backups of your proxmox ssd to the 12tb disks in case it fails for whatever reason.
What will you use to share the storage? ZFS has built in SMB/NFS sharing you can customize per dataset which is how I setup mine.
>>
>>102264079
yeah, manually set your link to 10gb in your switch if you can, might work. might not be compatible with whatever switch or nic you have, although i've never had any issues with /other/ branded equipment, and all of my networking equipment is ubiquiti. I have a ubiquiti copper sfp and a 10g tek module and both have always been plug n play.
>>102264468
nigga an sfp cable? (multimode) fiber is fiber.
>>
>>102290532
no xeon aside from workstation xeons that aren't actually xeons have quicksync support bud.
>>102289632
hardware encoding on my media server? retard?
>>
>>102289310
>Have you seen WireGuard support in Palo Alto Networks or FortiGate firewalls,
no, because those appliances use SSL split tunneled VPN and ipsec is not recommended for use anymore, which you would know if you actually worked with any of this equipment. wireguard isn't useful for managing endpoints, it's just for VPN, realistically.

you're inexperienced at best and being disingenuous at worst.
>>
>>102249977
i think your first question is a server that can accept that amount of connections from a single ip
>>
>>102290617
>Lastly, you're using ZFS, which is practically experimental or unsupported in anything but Proxmox VE;
LMFAO
>>
>>102292733
Xeon W processors don't have QuickSync Video capability, and Xeon E are entry level server Xeons typically found in entry level 1U servers (those without Xeon SPs).
>>
>>102290539
>For my immediate purposes, is there a better way to go about setting up a file server that is meant to store data longterm and ensure data integrity?
Just make an iscsi virtual disk in proxmox and pass it through to windows server (instead of ZFS pool with the two HDD's) with only the storage services installed, and you will have probably the easiest, fastest out of the box NAS experience you can get, aside from running a dedicated NAS OS on bare metal, assuming you're set on using a dedicated hypervisor. You could probably install Truenas scale and get an easier experience if you care less about VM's (you probably should since i doubt you have many corez or RAM)

I would suggest just going ahead and installing Truenas, and buying the most ram that you can afford that your old PC will support, and then making a raidz1 pool. eventually, get an LSI HBA and you can throw more HDDs in it - just be aware you can't add drives to raidz1, you can make new pools, but you'll learn more about that later.
>>
>>102291457
>is there anything I can do so they can stream 4k remuxes from the homeserver? Bandwidth wise, I have symmetric fiber gigabit, and they have gigabit download, but we still get a lot of playback freezing when trying to direct stream, even though latency is only around 20ms. If I do a speedtest to my server from a friend's house I get 400mbps or so. Not sure what the problem is.
Buy an intel ARC card and do hardware transcoding, you can set it up so the GPU is doing transcoding instead of your families clients.
>>
>>102292831
Those are just i5's with the ecc memory flag turned on and are /actually/ borderline e waste.
>>
>>102292712
>nigga an sfp cable? (multimode) fiber is fiber.
hes right though
many switches refuse to work with DACs of another brand
>>
>>102289791
Is the a310 a suitable card for servers generally? It's cheap, how's the support in Linux?
>>
>>102292866
>you can't add drives to raidz1
you can add drives to a raidz vdev.
its been a feature of openzfs for over 2 years.
>>
>>102291457
you could monitor network, disk, gpu and cpu utilization for starters
>>
>>102293126
He's not using a DAC, Anon.
>>102293133
It's fine, plenty of people use them.
>>102293190
yeah, but it's not supported in Truenas yet, or at least it wasn't a couple months ago.
>>
>>102291457
whats your server hardware
>>
>>102293439
>He's not using a DAC
>Ubiquiti 10G copper SFP
>>
>>102293133
Not supported by OEMs in servers.
>>
>>102292924
Borderline e-waste because they are 4-8 cores, single socket processors, and licensing requirements per server is 16 cores minimum. Right?
>>
>>102293489
Anon, what do you think a DAC is?
>>102293601
Because motherboards dont exist and there are better options.
>licensing
shut up.
>>
I’ve got a nice little optiplex from work that in planning to use as my anime server. Deciding between plex, emby and jellyfin. It’s mainly gonna be for streaming anime so I was wondering if you fucks had any good rec?
>>
>>102293816
I use jellyfin and i've pretty much never had an issue with it. Just try Jellyfin first because it's opensores, and then if you dont like it or have issues, try Plex. you could grab an a310 eco for $99 burger bux, and have a nice little machine
>>
>>102292894
Thanks anon, but I want to avoid transcoding, the point is to direct play. At the very least, how come the speed test and latency don't estimate actual playback?
>>102293324
I monitor all of these, the limitation is definitely network. Direct play works fine on LAN.
>>102293445
It's all desktop grade parts, but more than sufficient for this. Again, it's just high bitrate 4k remuxes, everything else works fine. It's not a dv/hdr client issue either.
>>
>>102293951
Awesome sounds like a plan thanks anon
>>
>>102252808
That's very cool anon, but I do wish you could share it...
>>
>>102294545
>>102294512
>>102293951
>>102293816
>>102293738

new thread you guys:

>>102294680

>>102294680

>>102294680

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.