[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1718583528950255.jpg (1.88 MB, 3564x2376)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
old >>102218507
>>
>>102252181
I've got some music in .aac, but the format doesn't seem to support covers. Converting to FLAC is a waste of space.
Now, this is going to sound stupid, but can you convert lossy -> lossy, losslessly?
I don't want generation loss, but I do want my cover art.

What do?
>>
>>102252341
m4a
>>
>>102252441
oh, nice, I just had to rename it
thanks
>>
ive seen a lot of buzz about plex and jellyfin, and so want to explore streaming from my computer to the TVs around my home
in my library ive got rips from VHS up through 4K
do plex or jellyfin automatically change the display resolution in response to the file being played? VHS rips look like ass when blown up to fullscreen at 4K resolution but look fine when the display is actually at the lowest res settings
>>
If there is a data breach on any website but I use an alias, I dunno SimpleLogin, ProtonPass, are they going to be able to know my real mail? Or will they just get my alias and unable to find my real mail?
>>
what causes this?
>>
>>102252181
Is this the stupid questions thread?
>>
>>102252181
would you buy refurbished HDDs for backups?
I don't use a lot of storage space, but I want to buy a couple of cheap 4 or 8TB HDDs at amazon, and the refurb ones are the cheapers I can find...
I could buy them in my country but the new ones are more expensive
I could also buy Toshiba S300 4TB for relatively cheap, but I don't know if these are good. are they?
>>
>>102253077
are you planning to backup whatever you'll be putting on those drives to a blu-ray/dvd?
>>
>>102253096
>blu-ray/dvd?
no, not unless I can get a recorder + discs for cheap. are they even worth it?
>>
>>102253133
yes.
>>
>>102253077
Chances two used drives break at about the same time are way less then the chances a relatively new drive will break. If you go the used route, try getting the SmartCTL data to determine the health/treatment of the drive and avoid getting particularly old HDDs, HDDs degrade with time.
>>
>>102252181
How can I bypass the mailantor personal limit? It always knows it’s me despite switching WiFi, devices and vpns
>>
>>102253146
Ok then, I guess I'll buy a blu-ray recorder instead of HDDs. but from what I can see, the internal BD recorders are as expensive as internal HDDs are...

>>102253217
not sure if getting that info is possible.
I've bought refurb SSDs in the past and they worked fine, but yeah, HDDs are a complete different beast, and they will probably fail soon...
so yeah, I guess I should not buy used HDDs for backups.
I'm really waiting for the day where the bs marketing promise of SSDs reaching price parity with HDDs becomes a relity...
>>
>>102253289
burn slow and enjoy your data for 10+ years. and remember: never touch the bottom of the disc.
>>
>>102253289
>not sure if getting that info is possible.
There's various software tools out there that report the information, they're not hard to use and any reputable vendor should provide it, or at least crucial parts (bad sectors and other stuff I forget.) I wouldn't buy from anybody that refused to give up that information, unless the drive was being sold for exceptionally cheap.
>they will probably fail soon...
Depends on age. Something under 5 years is probably going to last a long while assuming the other factors are in check.
>>
>>102253362
Also most drives should have a date of manufacture labeled somewhere on them, so determining age shouldn't be hard.
>>
>>102253362
>There's various software tools out there that report the information
I know. what I meant it
>any reputable vendor should provide it
are you sure of this? do vendors really give this info to customers? how would you ask a vendor on amazon? I've never contacted anyone except for returns. I'd buy from a US-based vendeor but I'm not in the US so things might be even more complicated and scammy
>>
File: blue.gif (936 KB, 500x357)
936 KB
936 KB GIF
Is it possible 4chan has some sort of "algorithm" like social media does, to keep certain users engaged? There certainly are botposts all over the place, and it's weird because sometimes I look up something online and a thread about it appears on 4chan... of course, 4chan users often have similar interests, but this site is too oddly addicting, considerng I've been here for 7 years and tried to quit multiple times...
>>
What do I use instead of youtube-dl now? It doesn't seem to work
>>
>>102253690
yt-dlp
>>
>>102253426
>are you sure of this?
At least for used drives, idk anything regarding refurbished drives.
>do vendors really give this info to customers?
I've bought several HDDs from somebody on Ebay who provided crucial portions of SmartCTL data. Might be different customs on Amazon.
>how would you ask a vendor on amazon?
Main stats I recall needing to look out on are bad/reallocated sectors, the overall health rating (I think you want at least passed) and the physically labeled date of manufacture. There might be more important stuff to look out for, but that's beyond the scope of my knowledge. If you buy it, make sure to also check the stats your self to make sure you're not getting lied to.
>>
>>102253707
Thanks
>>
>>102253734
Also most cases they're selling several drives, so the answers should be along the lines of: "No bad/reallocated sectors, no overall health scores below passes, drives no older then 5 years."
>>
What the fuck is samsung knox? Do I need to create an account to get those extra security benefits? I read what it is on the website but I just don't get it
Is it for companies? Individuals?
>>
How to get 4chanx's gallery mode to work on warosu lit?
>>
>>102253496
I've always hypothesized the reason people find 4chan so addicting is that all threads being ephemeral creates a neverending sense of urgency and FOMO. Also any garbage/shitpost discussion immediately gets pushed to the bottom on fast boards, so you're constantly only looking at threads that the majority of users have decided is worth actively responding to, by design

That and the quality of conversation is leagues higher than any other website because userbase growth has basically stagnated since 2015 so the only users left are older and more technologically adept; basically 4chan being an oldweb relic at this point. It makes me sad looking at hobby boards with wikis and seeing the links either broken or the last page updates being in 2018
>>
>>102252181
Guys, mom has an android phone
she's old, and she didn't like message sounds in her whatsapp, so she told me to turn them off a year ago
I couldn't just turn it off for some reason, so I did something to turn off all notifications
Now she wants to turn it back on, and I can't
How the fuck do I make it normal?
>>
>>102254091
basically, I turned it on in the app, and in app settings, but it won't work
I think I'm starting to remember that I fucking uninstalled the notifications or some shit because it wouldn't turn off
>>
>>102252181
if I connect a multiport charger but not plug anything, will it consume power?

I got too many usb chargers on my desk, because even desk lamps in 2024 are usb powered.
>>
What's the best file system for an external hard drive? exFAT is a no-go, I've had far too many data loss scares around it. I'm using a Mac right now but I'll install Linux or FreeBSD as soon as I get the hardware. I'd also like to encrypt the drive.
>>
Can I have both hyprland and DWM on the same machine?
I mean, can I have both of them installed and choose to use either one of them through the login screen and whichever I choose will work?
>>
>>102255512
yes
>>
How long does it take for a twitter handle to be cleared? I dunno if I should just wait for my shit to wipe or find the email and password I was using. lmao I really fucked myself, but then again, I didn't do much on there.
>>
File: ElevenLabs-Logo.png (156 KB, 1640x924)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
Are there any AI voice services better than ElevenLabs?
>>
File: img-2024-09-06-13-04-17.png (1.04 MB, 929x1300)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
Anyone knows where to get downloads for chromeOS flex?
Without having to download the whole extension thing?
>>
In Chromium browsers, is there a way to make the "Save image as..." option in the context menu to just save to the default location instead of asking where to save it?
>>
I'm having an issue where a game (Street Fighter 6) stopped using my GPU entirely. Other games don't have this problem, just this one. I recently updated my drivers for a different game, and the game also updated between then and now without me booting it up, so I'm not certain what the issue could be. Any general ideas on how I can troubleshoot this? Google doesn't show anyone else having this issue and I already restarted my PC to see if that was the problem. GPU is an NVIDIA GTX 1650 Super
>>
Is Aida64 supposed to be free? Its what I see everyone use for benchmarking memory, but I just downloaded it and was met with a "trial" version...
>>
>>102256651
Or is it some sort of loosely enforced "paid" software ala WinRAR?

What are my other options for basic ram benchmarking including L1/L2/L3 benching?
>>
>>102252181
it does look stupid
>>
File: jdownloader-logo.png (311 KB, 512x512)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
My Jdownloader sees Youtube as being Temporarily Unavailable for a while now. Was there a recent update or change on either end that would have caused this? How can I fix it?
>>
>>102252181
how do i remove rhytmbox from gnome/ubuntu?
i can uninstall other apps but not this one for some reason
>>
>>102254828
The power has no where to go. It wont consume anything, ideally. In practical terms its probably negligible
>>
Is there a way to get desktop or phone notifications when I get a (You)?
>>
Is gpt good enough to replace google now?
>>
>>102254091
Whatsapp has it's own notification sound options different from the system sounds, so look at those
>>
>>102254116
Oh, you turned them off in Settings > apps > notifications?
>>
For some reason when im texting my mum her messages are coming through as sms, but when i send her a message it goes through as rcs. ive enabled rcs on both our phones and the files i send are going through properly. what can i do to troubleshoot this? she has a pixel 7 and i have a nothing 2a
>>
File: 1719271568715473.png (729 KB, 760x839)
729 KB
729 KB PNG
Buying a new case for the PC but I realized it is a reverse mount case. Do I absolutely need a new motherboard or can I still make it work with the old one assuming I don't care that much about cable management yet?
Trying to avoid having to buy a brand new mobo, CPU, and ram just to fit the case.
>>
>>102257896
>"not all ATX motherboards fit into ATX cases"
Wait what there's more to ATX?
>>
I am running Linux Mint, if I take my SSD out of my current system and put it into a brand new one, will I have to do a fresh install or will I be fine?
I am just curious about any unnecessary drivers and stuff that will be left on there.
>>
>>102257297
This is why people move away from bloated systems.
>>102255469
>I'd also like to encrypt the drive.
Linux user typically wants a LUKS encryption with whatever filesystem. If you don't need "sub volumes" or "snapshots" you want an EXT4 filesystem, BTRFS otherwise.
>>102253839
My work phone says
>"Knox by F-secure"
It's an enterprise thing.
>>
Are hard shell covers really dangerous for laptops?
>>
>>102257975
Should be fine
>>
>filtered by leetcode 21
wtf, I read some of the indian solutions and it just gave me brain damage, how the hell do you combine two linked lists
>>
>>102258075
...can't you just concatenate the lists then sort. probably wouldn't be an optimal solution but whatever
>>
I have an external HDD (4TB) that I use to backup files that I don't want to lose and may need to share (as opposed to a homeserver NAS for more general backup). For example I may take it with me to share movies with others.
I want to format it so it works on my pc (Arch btw), but also if I go somewhere it should work on other pcs (so mostly windows, but also macOS).
Intuitively that means exFat, default allocation unit size.
I just need some anon to say I'm correct in that.

>>102258024
No.
>>102257975
Should be fine, just choose the SSD to boot from in bios if it doesn't automatically do it. This assumes all your OS data is on that SSD only and it's not a partition over multiple drives or something like that.
>>
>>102258188
sorting a linked list is even harder than combining two sorted lists lmfao
>>
>>102258203
If you're working with the nodes, sure
>>
>>102258203
>>102258188
>>102258075
Am I retarded or is that a pretty simple problem to solve?
Compare the first elements of each list to find out which list to start with (use that as the return list), then have 2 pointers as "reading heads" on each linked list going through. For each combination of elements, look which one takes precedence and add that first first. Then it's just a matter of updating the links and everything else takes care of itself?
>>
>>102258199
Yeah, but exfat corrupts data pretty easily. Might just want to do ext4 and bring a raspberry pi with you.
>>
>>102257911
That's my question. Basically am I gonna get cucked by this new case because it expects the connections on the back?
>>
I need to access Facebook messenger 24/7 to communicate with my mum (I have no phone)
I have Mint LMDE and only 4GB of RAM, what should I use to keep messenger always open?
A light browser? An app I dont know?
>>
File: ram.png (8 KB, 377x64)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>102252181
I have, it would seem, less than the expected total amount of ram in my system.

Why is this? Is there some significance to 2950mb? Is there a swapon or something in my ram?
>>
>>102258269
Bringing more hardware sounds pretty bad for my use case (basically a shareable backup). Then again corruption doesn't sound that great either.
>>
>>102258070
>>102258199
its only one ssd and it's only one partition

thank you
>>
>>102258297
If it's movies and stuff, you can host a plex server on that rpi and just stream the media to their devices from the disk.
>>
>>102258277
>connections on the back
The so called "I/O shield"?
It's a standard.
>>
>>102258293
oh: installed is 4gb 10600 in 2 sticks
>>
Someone explain me why under Windows 11 my laptop only recognizes 1440p@60Hz max. But under Linux it recognizes 1440p@75Hz (native).

Laptop is cheap HP Envy 15-dy2xxx (Didn't buy it fyi)
>>
>>102258389
Sorry could you assume I'm retarded, because I am. Yes or no, will I be able to use my old ATX mobo on the new ATX case that supports reverse connection or do they typically have some shit in the way? It's fine if the cables look ugly. I'll deal with that later.
>>
>>102258547
>reverse connection
What the hell is that?
>>
>>102258547
NTA but you should be good. AFAIK these "special" ATX cases with back connectors just have some room in the side of the motherboard and extra holes for the connectors.

Anons feel free to correct me on this one
>>
>>102258588
Thank you
>>
One of the super useful spotify features is the ability to download lower quality versions of the songs in your library.
Is there any way to achieve a similar thing locally? Have the high quality originals in my PC while downloading a smaller version to my phone? (While syncing new additions/removals).
Currently I make do with Syncthing and just keep the same version on all my devices, but I have +5k songs and it's starting to become an issue.
>>
>>102258573
The pins on the mobo for the PSU and SATA are on the back instead of the front. Allows for better cable management. They make cases that support this new design so all you see at the top are the GPU, ram, CPU, and fans.
>>
>>102258597
Nothing prebuilt that I'm aware of but you can make your own automation for it with ffmpeg and some tinkering
>>
>>102258289
Don't use Firefox at all for anything. Somehow, the Chromium based browsers are lighter. Also, add and configure zram (1:1 size should be good).
t. 4GB bro
>>
Is there anyway to tell if someone has blocked your number other than calling them to see if it rings?
My phone doesn't seem to show detailed receipts for texts. It just says they were sent. But I imagine even if the number is blocked it would still say the texts were sent anyway but they'd go to some kind of "outside box" and the receiver would never see them.
>>
File: 1700510321934699.png (14 KB, 492x158)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
am I crazy or you can put a text cursor in any text field on Firefox ever since the last update?
does anyone know how to disable this crap?
it messes up things like the End key or Ctrl+Down Arrow.
>>
Are there any good speed reading(RSVP) software for desktops? I use Librera on my phone but can't find any decent one for Windows/Linux, it just needs to work with epubs....
>>
C# bros, pls help. Couldn't figure out how to fix this.
>>
Any recommendations on a pre built raspberry pi like that I can use as a WiFi Media server? Mostly just need a WiFi connection, web browser, and USBC port.
>>
I'm trying to learn C and it seems to me that the 8-byte integer types uint64_t and long long just don't work.

If I run
int main() {
uint64_t a = 0xFFFFFFFF;
printf("a = %d, size = %d\n",a,sizeof(a));
return 0;
}

This prints "a = -1, size = 0"
as if it's treated as a 32-bit two's complement integer, instead of a 64-bit unsigned integer like it should be.

If I instead run with
uint64_t a = 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF;

The output is "a = -1, size = -1"

and if I run with leftmost F changed to 0
uint64_t a = 0x0FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF;

The output is "a = -1, size = 268435455"

Same results if I use long long, or long long int instead of uint64_t
Interestingly enough, running sizeof() on a double will return 8 like it should.

I'm using Windows 10, compiling with gcc, using the C99 standard library.
>>
>>102258293
what OS are you running? is it 32bit?
also, your integrated video card is taking some of that RAM probably
>>
>>102258653
I found this tutorial to enable and configure ZRAM
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=2513927&hilit=zRAM#p2513927
but there is no mention of 1:1 size
(I only use Firefox and FF based browser...)
>>
File: 1541712742283.jpg (48 KB, 600x600)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>102252181
I only discovered hyprland the other day by mistake when reinstalling my OS, leading me to learn about tiling windows managers. It looks pretty awesome, but when I had it installed, and had also installed a preset, I had a cursor that I was able to move around, but clicking icons didn't seem to do anything. What I want to know is, is that normal? Should I be able to click things? Right clicking did nothing either.

Additionally, is it feasible to game on hyprland the same way I can on something like KDE Plasma?
>>
>>102259253
>but clicking icons didn't seem to do anything. What I want to know is, is that normal?
Hyprland is meant to be controlled almost 100% with a keyboard so you should look into that first. Although it might not be normal at all as you should be able to click to interact with apps like browsers
>Should I be able to click things?
Yes,
>is it feasible to game on hyprland the same way I can on something like KDE Plasma?
A game is just another windowed or fullscreen application. The defining factor are both the GPU and the graphics drivers to properly support Wayland and its protocols. That said, if you have NVidia with its proprietary drivers then you'll be in pain, consider that as a heads up.
>>
File: 1722863715416406.png (1.26 MB, 696x928)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
>>102252181
Is Microsoft's built-in Windows Defender enough in order to keep My system relatively safe from malware? I was looking at display computers at my local Best buy yesterday and noticed a lot of them had McAfee antivirus installed. If I end up getting a new laptop and remove all of that from my system am I still safe?
>>
1. Is putting mid range performance laptop on a little stand help it cool better?
2. I want to access my files at any time from anywhere. What's the best way to organize personal cloud while minimizing the risk of loss or leak of my files? What's on my disposal is said laptop (M.2 SSD) and internet connection via router.
>>
>>102259376
Yeah it's decent these days, you don't need other antivirus stuff.
In the unlikely event that something managed to sneak by and you have any acute issue, just run a Malwarebytes scan to remove it and go on with your life (this is a onetime scan, not a permanently on service)
>>
>>102259045
Different prefixes for different types.
    printf("a = %lld, size = %zu\n", a, sizeof(a));

Shown in the table here: https://en.cppreference.com/w/c/io/fprintf

Also, sizeof returns a size_t, hence the zu.
>>
>>102259476
oh wait, it should have been %llu :P
>>
>>102259476
That works, thanks anon. Although having to use %zu really tripped me up because %d works for the length of a double
>>
>>102252181
Why is this building on legs? Does that make it more practical to heat it?
>>
>>102252181
I dropped my MacBook and it landed on the top. The top has a plastic cover on it. How do I make sure it’s not fucked up?
>>
>>102258745
Nvm, fixed it.
It's some retarded feature called Caret Browsing that I activated when I pressed F7 by accident yesterday coincidentally after updating.
It brought up some pop up, and I thought clicking Cancel would leave the feature disabled, but alas.
>>
>>102259688
Turn it on
>>
>>102259615
The shape is to prevent it's destruction during a tsunami
>>
How do I get pass the mailantor personal limit? Even when I go on different wifi, device or even fucking Windscribe it always knows it's me
>>
>>102259087
>1:1
The idea is that you should increase the size of the zram in its config file because the default size is too small. So rather than 2 GB as a default, you edit the config file so it is 4 GB or maybe more.
>>
>>102259615
The columns you see are hydraulic. Meaning they can move the entire building up and down.
Older Antarctic bases had the tendency to be completely buried in snow. This way, that no longer happens.
>>
How do you prograniggers make software with just math operations? Nigga how does multiplication make a fucking window pop up like wtf kinda esoteric bs are you smoking????
>>
>>102257833
>>102257850
Yeah, but it wouldn't turn on. For some reason, it worked after I enabled vibration
>>
>>102259374
>A game is just another windowed or fullscreen application. The defining factor are both the GPU and the graphics drivers to properly support Wayland and its protocols. That said, if you have NVidia with its proprietary drivers then you'll be in pain, consider that as a heads up.
Appreciate the heads up on that, I do have an NVidia gpu (my computer is a latop, if that matters). I've never used the nouveau driver, but if I installed hyprland, would I be better off using them than the proprietary drivers then?
>>
Trying to install graphene os
When I try to unlock bootloader it says no compatible devices found, my computer picks up the phone when I plug it in. It’s a pixel 6a and I’m using usb c cable both ends
>>
File: IMG_6638.jpg (1.27 MB, 1170x1500)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>102261375
>>
How do I get an open source open hardware washing machine?
>>
>>102261375
>>102261397
If anyone can find a solution I will send you $20 XMR
>>
File: IMG_0127.jpg (2.46 MB, 4032x3024)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
For some reason only retro pie would get past the welcome screen as I’ve been trying to get this pi 2 to boot into anything in composite output
Any idea why that would be? Even the minimal install with no GUI did the same to me, all sorts of versions, I’d get past the welcome to raspberry pi OS screen and be left with just a black screen
Meanwhile retropie works as normal, although no gui, terminal only

All this is going to do is run wordgrinder, but I’m just wondering what’s up that would make this difficult
>>
>>102261375
Gotta enable oem unlocking in developer options, install fastboot server and connect to the phone while its in fastboot mode and fastboot unlock oem
>>
>>102261268
If you're on nvidia then refrain to use hyprland or other wayland compositors from the time being until the nvidia driver catches up. Nouveau sucks. If you do want to try it then get Intel or AMD
>>
>>102261507
Probably missing a driver/program. Gotta figure out what that program is and apt install it.
>>
File: v_angry.png (40 KB, 620x620)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
I can't open ports for reasons beyond my control. I've been hosting a service through ngrok and localtonet in the past and it worked fine.
Today I tried opening a tunnel and it doesn't work and I can't figure out why. Could it be because I'm using a mobile hotspot?
>>
>>102261375
>>102261397
Try using a different cable.
>>
>>102261778
Sounds about right, most mobile hotspots don't use a static IP by default.
>>
>>102252181
I asked this last thread but still deeply curious about this but when I'm on my phone (S23) the light bleed with my astigmatism feels extremely small, even squinting it's not that bad.
Why then with my steam deck OLED is it absolutely extremely exaggerated?
Both are OLED glossy panels, what am I missing here?
>>
>>102261865
What can I do about it then?
>>
>>102262024
Can call your provider and see if they offer static IP. They may or may not charge you for it.
>>
I'm looking to run an online webserver. I'm not confident in my ability to secure it. Is there a way to run a virtual machine on a VPS like qemu or something and limit it? Like cap it's processing power and memory to exactly what it needs and hopefully keep users from elevating themselves out of it? I only have a command line on the VPS, don't really feel like running the desktop environment just to run oracle vmware or something.
>>
Any zoomers on here who are hip to how discord works? My stupid question
>Get blocked by someone
>Try to readd them
>Doesn't work
>Because blocked
>Get drunk and try again
>This time it works and the add is pending
>Surprised because I thought if I was blocked I wouldn't be able to send an invite like earlier
>But if I was unblocked they'd automatically be added to my friends list
>Instead it's more like I can send them an invite (which would mean unblocked) but they aren't automatically on my friends list (which would mean blocked)
>Eventually notice that I was actually adding their old add and not the one they've changed it to
>Which would explain why I couldn't send an invite because the name doesn't exist

What's the deal here bros? Was I just removed as a friend rather than blocked in the first place and that's why I can readd them and why they aren't on my list?
I can't understand why if that is the case they didn't they block me instead because they would know I'd try to add them back, but I guess that's a different question for a different day.
>>
Whats Emule and why its not used anymore?
>>
I've got a raspberry pi, and a SATA DVD drive, and a dac and amp kicking about somewhere, can I turn this into a working CD player? headless that works with a remote of some kind?
>>
>>102252181
Why is fizzbuzz so common as an interview task? Like I mean it's a really fucking simple thing to do, and the positions people apply for usually will be solving way more difficult problems in reality, so other than filtering out worst of the worst, it does kinda nothing?
>>
File: 1724642173371804.jpg (621 KB, 2000x2000)
621 KB
621 KB JPG
I have an old Blu-ray player I bought for $8 from goodwill. It has a left and right analog audio out, which is cool. But I've got these speakers that, far as I can tell, expect line-in, and are self-powered with their own volume control., and I don't know if these L and R outs are line or pre. Does this make a difference? Basically I'm saying: will something bad happen when you feed headphone out into something that expects line?
>>
File: 21432414214.webm (2.89 MB, 852x480)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB WEBM
I have a 1tb SSD that my OS and all my shit is on. I want to get 2 or 3tb SSD to start storing some of my 3D shit on. Will having my main files for my assets/renders etc things my program will be loading with or using on a SSD other than the one my OS is installed on matter?
>>
Why the fuck are Google DNS and Cloudflare DNS refusing to resolve bing.com and ebay.com today?
>>
>>102263661
works for me, 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8
>>
I got a 165 Hz monitor after using 60 for my whole life. Is it normal to feel a slight bit of nausea?
>>
>>102252181
Which one is faster and better to download whole threads from 4chan if I have a crappy internet connection:

jdownloader2
gallery-dl
ripme
downthemall

Also which command in line is to use gallery-dl to only download .jpg and .png

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
>>
Why are /sdg/ and /ldg/ separate threads?
>>
>>102264634
because they both think that the other produces ai slop. ironically.
>>
>>102261962
pixel density most likely
>>
>>102260954
they are using existing instruction sets, like tools to perform tasks. there is the kernel and the firmware at the base of it all.
think of it like tools, you can hammer in a nail using a hammer, but the hammer needs a head and handle, and for the head and handle to be there you need wood and metal.
there is probably a better way to explain it, from somebody who actually programs.
>>
>>102252909
It's caused by something going wrong. You're welcome.
>>
>>102252852
They will get your alias, unless your alias provider will also get breached, which will let someone correlate your aliases to your real email.
>>
>>102255711
Twitter accounts are considered inactive after 6 months of no activity but in reality they are rarely deleting any accounts as far as I know.
>>
>>102257716
No but it's useful. I always ask AI first and if something seems weird I search it on Google just to be sure.
>>
>>102252909
There's an issue.
>>
File: unnamed.png (34 KB, 348x206)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
I want to RAR something that uses 60 GB in space, is it needed to add Data Recovery that takes XX% of the size or its meme and pointless anyway?
>>
I got a faulty Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD (from that 2021 faulty batch) that I need to format before I ship it off for RMA and warranty replacement.

The thing's fucked and whenever I try to access it in Windows, it'll lock the system up and may even fuck up USB connectivity.
In Parted Magic 2016 on an old laptop, the thing is not locked but frozen and will only mount in read only mode.
Secure erase doesn't want to work and dd to zero-out the disk after a 14 hour operation did jack-shit; all data is still intact and accessible.
Partition editor won't let me delete partitions either. SMART status is strange.

Any ideas? Samsung RMA claims they will format the drive upon receiving it and I figure they're experts in these situations, but for peace of mind I really don't want this thing in transit with data on it.
I also figure that they might just destroy the drive rather than try to salvage and refurbish it, because corporate shit.
>>
File: 1717087943042709.png (89 KB, 325x933)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
What's the difference between 3A, 6A, 7A, 66W, 60W/100W cables?
>>
File: 1725411458816512.jpg (110 KB, 819x1024)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
Adblock browser no longer blocks ads on the YouTube mobile site. What mobile browsers allows me to block ads on YouTube?
>>
>>102265445
Try Firefox + uBlock.
Alternatively try NewPipe as a dedicated client app.
https://newpipe.net/
>>
I think I asked this previously and got the response of "just get something normal"
But is there a way to put a rack in my room that I can just do shit with? I guess the main issue is noise, heat, and the cost of enterprise equipment but at least my home doesn't pay electric
>>
I plan on upgrading from Windows 10 to 11. Is it worth the effort to just wipe* my drive and proceed with a with a fresh install of Windows 11?

(*Actually, I'll most likely just buy a new SSD with this process, too, but that's not relevant.)
>>
>>102265477
Thank you anon very cool.
>>
>>102258960
no one is helping me. I''m forgotten.
>>
Why are ISPs allowed to just be absolutely fucking garbage? I am paying for a service, why am I not getting that service and why can I not take legal action against it? Spectrum is the only ISP in my area, so I'm stuck with this absolute nigger of an ISP that goes down multiple times a day, every single fucking day, rain or shine, and after it goes down 3-4 times in a row my speed gets throttled until I notice and reset the damn modem/router. Every fucking day I drop from 500mb/s to 50mb/s with insane latency and dropped packets after spectrum shits the bed for an hour. Sometimes I wake up to it, sometimes I come home from work to it, most often it happens when im sitting at my PC. There is no on else connected to the internet with any device, even my phone I only use 5g on since I pay for unlimited anyways.
Why is this dogshit service even allowed? You wouldn't go to McDonalds and then pay them to only cook half your burger and then every few minutes an employee comes over to take a bite out of your sandwich. Fuck all these crooked ISPs, the people who own them deserve to be burned alive.
>>
File: FyXdXziX0AEbYtw.jpg (324 KB, 1536x2048)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
>>102265498
pic rel is my rack in my bedroom, that's an old pic so it has changed a bit but not by a lot.
>it's quiet enough
>let's me do shit with
>efficient as it's desktop e-waste
>nothing enterprise-y except the managed switch
>>
>>102266214
I can't help you, but I hate that kind of shit too
>Upgrade internet
>ISP sends me new router
>A host of websites have permanently banned my IP before I've even had the chance to do anything
>Including 4chan
>Take it to their forum and ask for a new IP because of the problem I'm having
>I know the odds are low because for some reason they give everyone static IPs (or these really bizarre dynamic ones that might as well be static at least) and will not change an IP for you
>Some fucking pencil neck dweeb who isn't even employed by them tells me if I stopped "trolling" I wouldn't be banned from so many sites
>Explain how it isn't actually me that got the IP banned
>Doesn't believe me and continues his moral crusade
>Finally talk to an employee who basically tells me sucks2bu
>From the way I see it I'm paying for a service and not getting that service
>Pencil neck rushes in to defend them and says technically they're offering an internet service and I'm getting that internet service and it's my fault for "trolling" if the IP is banned
>Can't even ask /g/ because I can't post
>In the end I fix it myself in the most bizarre way
>I have to visit each site incognito and then they work in my regular browser
>Also have to post on any 4chan board I want to post on incognito before I can post on them in my regular browser

Was bizarre shit but at least it worked
>>
File: 1723258567799848.jpg (242 KB, 984x984)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>102252181
Are there any ways I can identify the background music used in a YouTube video?

https://youtu.be/o3bRlSssA2A?si=tV1_6aDEj9ZI1gOb [Embed]

For some reason he never takes it upon himself to put the song names in the video. Only the intro and outro music but never anything else in the video. I tried scouring Google searches for an online service that could do it and even asked ChatGPT What got no usable results.
>>
>>102266557
wait a sec
you're telling me you can only access 4chan while in incognito mode using your shit ISP? but not with a regular browser?
>>
>>102266639
Nah it was just like that originally. If I wanted to post on /g/ I had to visit /g/ incognito, make a post incognito, and then I could post forever after on /g/ with my regular browser.
It was a real fuck on to have to do though. Especially with other sites that I was visiting for the first time or rarely visited.
>>
>>102266652
oh okay so after you upgraded your net then no 4chan neither with incognito or non-incognito
>>
>>102266697
Haha nah the problem only started once I updated my net. Before that it was fine in incognito or regular.
After updating I needed to go through the rigger more roll of using incognito just to be able to use regular.
>>
>>102266713
Okay, I have the feeling is has something to do with your browser instead, might want to try a loonix livecd and a standard browser to rule that out
>>
>>102266769
It seems to be fine now because this was a while ago.
Strangely though, FF is my usual browser, but to get it to work I had to use incognito with Chrome. I couldn't check if it worked with regular Chrome because for some reason when I installed Chrome I could only have it as permanent normal or permanent incognito. You can switch it around, but it's a real fuck about due to having to go into the settings so I've just left it as incognito ever since.
So it doesn't seem to have been browser based from what I can tell at least.
>>
>>102266824
I see, from my understanding, if it was really the ISP's fault then no matter which browser you use, be it Incognito FF or regular Chrome then you wouldn't be able to access
>>
>>102266625
He has a playlist in the description so look through those
>>
>>102264309
I have to switch between 60hz and 165hz constantly for work. 60hz still just looks gross to me even after getting used to constantly switching and overclocking to 75hz. When I get home and boot up my monitor to my screen being smooth again it fills me with the most satisfying feeling imaginable
>>
>>102263121
P2p (peer to peer) file sharing software, there were a lot of them in the 2000s. Basically you can make files on your PC publically available for other Emule users to search and directly download, and vice versa. Wildly popular for music piracy and other illegal activities back in the day
>Why its not used anymore?
P2p software died after the 2000s after the internet largely migrated over to websites entirely and things like usenet died out. Also things like smartphones, youtube and music streaming platforms eliminated the need for the general public/normies because no one needed to load up their ipod with mp3s anymore

Nowadays qbittorrent is the goto p2p piracy protocol, for anything ranging to books to software to movies to whatever. For music there's Soulseek, which is napster 2.0
>>
>>102267462
*bittorrent. Not the client
>>
File: amule-409-1.jpg (166 KB, 1023x659)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>P2P
Remember to open up a port, that shit specifically needs one. It needs it more than bittorrenting as the thing does searches too.
https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/general-port-forwarding-guide/
>>102263121
It's a P2P software using the old client-server model as opposed to let's say Gnutella.
>why its not used anymore
There's around 60 000 users connected, see for yourself. Use aMule.
>>102267462
>there were a lot of them in the 2000s
Loads of Gnutella clients with varying names. Not even /g/ uses the Gnutella word though, everyone calls the whole network by the name "LimeWire".
>migrated over to websites entirely
I never got into that, sketchy af.
>Soulseek
Then there's a second version of Gnutella but afaik only ShareAza does it properly - in ultrapeer mode.
>>
Can't people just use the tor browser instead of a vpn? Doesn't even visiting regular websites with it give you a different IP? If you're using it for 'privacy' that is?
>>
File: 1705911323244486.jpg (68 KB, 1022x731)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>102252181
has any other browser managed to integrate vertical tabs as a core feature yet?
>>
>>102257422
4chanx
>>
>>102267660
normalfags think tor browser is for pedos, drug dealers and hitmen
>>
File: IMG_6277.jpg (49 KB, 554x554)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Is this the language?
>>
>>102252181
What's the ramp for? It doesn't look like it does anything in the inverse orientation
>>
>>102267660
>>102267877
There's a list of Tor exit nodes and webservers treat them as toxic cancer for obvious reasons. While VPNs don't exactly qualify as high as residential IPs (they be datacenters) it's still way better in that regard. Also the performance question.
>Tor browser
You can browse Tor without Tor browser though. Case you wanted to trick normies into thinking you aren't a Tor user.
>>
Are seedboxes worth it if i intend to use it solely just for getting stuff from nyaa? what are the best ones to use
>>
>>102267973
It's a lid for the entrance to the garage they hollowed out in the ice under the building.
>>
does the term "evil maid" in "evil maid attack" have any basis in reality of maids actually messing with computers? Why haven't we still invented a less delicate way of connecting a CPU to the MoBo than those fucking tiny pins?
t. brute
>>
>>102268007
seedboxes are for private tracker users
>>
>>102268339
so it wouldnt be good to use them for public trackers over just a regular vpn like mulvad?
>>
>>102268637
seedbox is for padding your stats so you dont get kicked for a shit ratio
just use a vpn (mullvad is good) for public trackers like nyaa
>>
>>102267805
any browsers other than opera, edge, and floorp, you mean?
>>
Mmm.. My motherboard has stopped detecting my SSDs, tried resetting everything.. ram, cpu, changed thermal paste, different sata cables, it worked for like a week now its back to stop being detected
Whats next?
>>
>>102268698
yeah i hadnt kept up and now i know that brave has it natively so i swapped to that
never heard of that last one though
>>
>>102268703
doesnt detect my only hdd either so its not the ssds
>>
>>102268703
do your drives have the latest firmware?
does this happen in both linux and windows?
do you have access to another pc with which to test?
>>
File: 1725689287040.jpg (59 KB, 736x736)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Other than SQLite, which is GODLY. How do you actually set up an SQL in a way that doesn't total your system? Is Docker the only way to avoid the fuckery of them making a new user on your system and filling random directories with nonsense? I've never really understood this part of SQL
>>
How do I go about building a desktop application for windows? Don't say Qt.
>>
>>102268713
this happens both linux and windows
i have an ssd with win10 and another one with linux mint
i have another pc to check
afaik they are recognized there
maybe the motherboard is kinda dead? it did this same thing before and after cleaning it and resetting all parts it recognized it but now its doing it after 1 week. i dont think its the dirt doing this.
>>
>>102259067
AntiX
>>
>>102268658
Thanks man
>>
>>102268713
Hey man, I plugged my SSD to another set of sata power supply thingies (there are 2 of them, 3 and 3) and now it booted up, recognized and everything works even faster than before
So I guess it was that
Thanks so much! Hope good things happen to you in the future for helping me
>>
>>102267660
Tor is slow, takes forever to start, and wastes a lot battery / data. Hostile exit node providers are prevalent.
>>
>>102269024
>Hostile exit node providers
Isn't that only if it's using http not https? (Assuming you mean injecting stuff)
>>
>>102252909
Could be any or combination of multiple factors, something physically went wrong with the servers where the web application is being hosted (this is less likely nowadays as cloud hosting became mainstream). Something went wrong on the software side either in the middleware layer or the backend layer
>>
>>102252181
What are some good storage ideas for physical media. Not sure Im ready to put them all into boxes just yet? Need some good shelf ideas
>>
I have an SSD with linux mint and another one with windows 10
My case is open cuz I have to switch the sata port to the one I want to use and disconnect I dont wanna use
However this collects dirt
Can I just unplug both and make the system ask me which drive me I want to use everytime I boot up my pc?
I dont want to partition my drive, I want to use one drive per OS
Is there any easier way than having to go to bios and enable the one i want to use there and disable the other one and change the secure boot to Windows to Ohter OS everytime? That's like a lot of stops for something that should be easy.
>>
>>102269205
That's where you have the most exposure, but it could be anywhere depending on the vuln of the day.
>>
>>102268658
>seedbox is for padding your stats so you dont get kicked for a shit ratio
Could just like uh not shut down your PC.

>>102268637
What is the problem you are trying to solve with a "seed box"?
>>
TIL it actually is important to update drivers from time to time, even if you're not playing any new games on your PC
Been having a streak of blue screens on startup that said WHEA uncorrectable error, I really though my hardware was failing until my tech buddies told me to update my shit, after installing the latest AMD chipset and APU driver from the manufacturer site it's not crashing anymore and the blue screens disappeared
>>
>>102270686
Probably not.
>>
>>102264370
In all honestly?
Make your own script and use your credentials and pass it to wget/curl, I'm getting good speed with that.
You select to choose jpg/png/gif/webm, heck even text can be chosen and saved in an appropriated format.
Look into LLM to help with that.
But it's easy look for this thread json file, and you will understand.
>>
>>102252909
uBlock.
>>
>[spoiler] Hi
[/spoiler]
>>
>>102258960
help
>>
I am in the UK. Not a smartphone God. I am looking for a cheap smartphone that is properly reviewed by non-shills. I was close to by a Google Pixel 6 but I saw one forum review on it and it made me hesitant. I am simply looking for a good enough camera for my CV/resume profile and good durability for both physical and water damage.
>>
All iPhones and galaxy A3x and up have water resistance, the latest models for the latter start at around $300 / £250
Almost every phone has a good enough camera now for taking selfies in a steady and lighted environment, they really only differ when it concerns moving objects or low light
If you need something more specific you can ask in /spg/
>>
>>102258960
>>102271366
just catch the damn exception, wrap the call on a try catch block.
>>
>>102269685
add windows entry to grub?
>>
>>102268742
make a webserver and use firefox in kiosk mode.
or use godot.
>>
>>102268715
>How do you actually set up an SQL in a way that doesn't total your system?
What do you mean by "set up an SQL"? SQL is a language itself. I'm thinking you mean a relational database engine like MySQL or PostgreSQL. If that's the case then it's pretty straightforward at least under Linux, just install the package, configure and set. Issues arise when you require a very specific version of the engine that is not packaged.
>Is Docker the only way to avoid the fuckery of them making a new user on your system and filling random directories with nonsense?
Docker is very convenient for running database engines, yes
>>
>>102271745
Pretty much this. I have Galaxy A54 and survived a full drop in mud. Still going strong
>>
>>102268715
The fuck are you smoking? I rather let mysql/postgre mess around with some files than let docker punch holes through my firewall and make up its own network.
You don't know true hell until you've work with oracleSQL, it requires its own distro.
>>
>>102268715
a lot of Linux distros come with Postgres pre-installed, the users are already there you just need to change access. it only uses the amount of resources it needs to process the tasks you're throwing at it. kinda weird that you're worried about a db shitting up your file system but not a container orchestration system running a virtual machine running a db, but I guess the box appeals to people
>>
>>102263248
anyone? i think I'm going to try MOODE and Mpd. Volumio can play cds but only the paid version
>>
Several fonts in my PC (Windows 10) are not displaying as intended. How do I fix them?

I've tried rebooting the font services, deleting font cache, and even reinstalling Windows, but nothing has worked for me so far.
>>
File: remote_desktop_vpn.png (23 KB, 1161x725)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
is it possible to use Remote Desktop from my home PC into my work PC (in VPN) when they're both on my LAN? I'm able to use Mouse Without Borders between the two, and even share the clipboard. Would like to avoid third-party tools as infosec monitors running processes
>>
>>102252181
Is E reader(300 ppi) Sharper than 4K pc monitor?
>>
>>102272570
>is it possible to use Remote Desktop from my home PC into my work PC (in VPN) when they're both on my LAN?
Yes
>Would like to avoid third-party tools as infosec monitors running processes
Can't see how this could be prevented by Remote Desktop'ing
>>
>>102272822
unlikely, 32" is about 140 ppi
>>
i live in a really old house, its basically a fucking mess in regards to humidity and very badly built in some regards

what are some solutions i could use that arent too electricity-intensive to avoid problems like MOLD GROWING ON GUITARS or MOLD BREAKING LAPTOP KEYBOARDS (actual thing that have happened to me)

for now im using dehumidifiers in the bottom floor which is were humidity really hits hard, specially during rainy days, and i have little timers so they turn on during the night when electricity is cheapest. Some forced ventilation in some of the "corner rooms" would be nice too. This house is a fucking mess ngl

TLDR: what are some technological solutions to a really humid environment that can actually harm electronic stuff, guitars, books, etc
>>
Is using Firefox with an account and sync enabled much worse, privacy-wise, than using Chrome without one?
>>
is there any windows program that I can use to pull/copy all files from a likely failing usb hard drive? or something that I can use from a live usb. or maybe something that can copy the whole drive byte for byte? like clonezilla maybe? or is my best be to just click and drag all files from the external drive to my main ssd? I have enough space on my main drive to copy the whole external drive, and I can still access the files from file explorer it just takes a while to open any folder. But I don't want to mess with it too much.
>>
File: Ubuntu USB.jpg (185 KB, 1024x600)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>102273840
>or maybe something that can copy the whole drive byte for byte?
Linux and Unix systems come with these tools: dd and ddrescue. They are extremely crude and simple and do exactly what you are looking for.
idk what's the preferred bootable ISO for this but I've just used Ubuntu, it allows you to "install" the missing tools - whatever they may be. ("install" as in stuff doesn't get added to your bootable system but appears as installed as long as you don't shut down or reboot)
>>
>>102272893
>MOLD GROWING ON GUITARS or MOLD BREAKING LAPTOP KEYBOARDS
Nigger, you don't have a humidity problem, you have a fungal growth issue.
Buy an air purifier machine so all the spores are captured.
Also check all your walls (inside AND outside) for any cracks and fix them.
>>
>>102273164
This question does not make sense. Chrome captures all your data whether you want it do so or not.
If you're using Firefox with Sync you might as well print out all of your data and tape it to your front door.
>>
>>102274411
dunno, when i air the rooms or use dehumidifiers the mold doesnt happen
also the outer walls are literally 1 meter thick stone walls from the 19th century, the inner walls are brick walls covered badly with mortar and paint
>>
>Get phone number of someone
>Don't know if its their real phone number or whatsapp number
>Save their number as phone number
>Have whatsapp myself
>Doesn't add them to it when whatsapp adds contacts
>Not sure if this has any relevance to it being a whatsapp number or not
>Get into argument with them anyway
>Text for a bit (not through whatsapp obv but maybe that's what they were using) and then they stop replying
>Assume they blocked my number
>Phone doesn't really give delivery receipts it'll just say sent or failed
>Texts still say sent rather than failed
>Try calling them afterwards
>Rings a few times before I panic and hang up

Am I blocked bros or are they just ignoring me? I thought if I was blocked it wouldn't ring at all and texts would fail rather than send, but I don't know if this differs if you're calling/texting a whatsapp number through a usual phone call.
>>
>>102274200
I ended up going with HDDSuperClone livecd, followed a YouTube tutorial https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xSXXW42Ouw

Hopefully that works, should be more or less the same as using dd but with the gui for me to follow right?
>>
>>102274846
I still don't know how I'll access the cloned image after though, but I'll figure it out.
>>
File: physical partition.png (633 KB, 700x491)
633 KB
633 KB PNG
>>102274846
>HDDSuperClone, HDDSuperTool is a software for cloning and imaging hard drives, developed by Scott Dwyer and continued by thesourcerer8. It uses various tools such as ddrescue, ddrescueview, ddrutility, DMDE, hdparm and isolinux
>ddrescue
Yeah.
>>102274887
Linux/Unix user would perhaps use the "losetup" utility to pinpoint individual partitions from the image (assumed it has a partition table (is it a bootable drive?)). Drive inside an image adds one layer of abstraction VS just having a filesystem as an image (like an ISO).
>>
what are these artifacts on character faces?
>>
Which fingers do you guys use to press your Q and P keys?
I think you're supposed to use your pinkies but I find it very awkward doing that and I use my ring fingers.
Maybe I just have small pinkies? They don't even reach the first knuckle of my ring fingers with I have my fingers straight and aligned.
>>
>>102275162
>is it a bootable drive?
no, it's a 2.5 laptop hdd that I was using with a sata to usb 3.0 enclosure. It was NTFS and I'd imagine it was a single partition. I would just plug it in and drag and drop stuff to it like a thumb drive.
>>
>>102274433
>dunno, when i air the rooms or use dehumidifiers the mold doesnt happen
Mold need spores and humidity to grow.
You can remove the humidity, but the spores will remain.
>also the outer walls are literally 1 meter thick stone walls from the 19th century, the inner walls are brick walls covered badly with mortar and paint
Well that explains a lot. Consider having a professional pump isolation material inside the walls. That should help.
>>
>>102275412
>It was NTFS and I'd imagine it was a single partition
So it does contain a partition table. Windows doesn't read drives without one BTW.
>be using Linux like a brainlet
>grab a pendrive, appears as /dev/pendrive
>mkfs.ntfs /dev/pendrive without thinking anything
>check it with the current Linux PC, works, forget it
>fast forward time
>plug the pendrive into Windows PC
>"drive is unformated" t. Windows
Obviously, the NTFS simply starts from block zero -> no partition table -> "no nothing" t. Windows
>>
>>102264862
Hello?
>>
File: 1668898331614345.jpg (136 KB, 507x539)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
What's the state of Linux on Qualcomm's new processors?
I distinctly recall their marketing hyping up Linux support as working out of the box, but it seems that didn't actually transpire.
Are things any better now?
>>
Lately my VPN has made videos fail to load on VRChat. If I play VRC without my VPN I get an issue where people just don't load and stuck as blue shapes, sometimes maps don't load.

I tried someone's tip to change my DNS to a public one and that didn't work.
>>
>>102275579
do you plan to keep it on a hard drive for 10 years?
>>
>>102275402
index
>>
What's your safe zone when it comes to files scanned in virus total? How many positive detections do you tolerate before you discard something as dangerous?
>>
>>102275886
Kaspersky is probably the most important metric imho, they are still the best AV out there.
>>
>>102252181
Is there a new way to bypass Substack paywalls yet? I remember back when Bypass Paywalls Clean used to work but it doesn't anymore and I'm too much of a brainlet to figure out how to scrape the page by myself.
>>
File: kte8kfof6dv91.png (943 KB, 728x868)
943 KB
943 KB PNG
>>102275368
what is this shit? it's not a gpu problem is it?
>>
>>102275886
When you're downloading cracked files ignore detections due to mismatched hashes. I also ignore chink AVs. I've had genuine files get flagged in VirusTotal. Practice basic safety and common sense, like using a VM and never adding any sensitive information like credit card data on the machine you're running dodgy files on. Generally as long as you're using trusted platforms and providers you should have no problems. Gone are the days of the 2010s where malware was everywhere, now it's the botnet mishandling your data that screws people over in most cases.
>>
>>102252181
cool station, why did they do the empty first floor, and what's the ramp for?
>>
>>102253077
buy at least two and make a raid.
>>
File: playoff_hockey.png (128 KB, 832x494)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>102252181
hey /g/ looking for a recommendation for a book for like absolute beginner company IT work. like how you would start an IT department at a company with only 30 people.

>backstory
i work in a lab. i keep busy enough with my own work but our company is so small we don't even have an "IT guy". i don't want to transition my own job to be that guy but i'm curious what types of knowledge one would need to know to basically start that department at a small company. i imagine some general windows and office knowledge. setting up routers/printers around the office. we use a company google drive. i don't think we even have a physical server. it's embarrassing frankly but it's not really my area of expertise to know what even the low-hanging fruit, easy things could be. anyone have any good books for basically IT 101 for a non-IT person?
>>
>>102275863
It will be replaced every 2-3 years.
>>
File: images.jpg (38 KB, 536x573)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
How many unrecoverable sectors should you realistically expect as a HDD ages?
>>
>>102272893
bleach the whole house
>>
>>102276479
Wait, I meant reallocated.
>>
>>102276479
I would expect them to be directly correlated with doing stupid things like bumping into the computer or cutting the power. If they are accumulating over time I would worry even if it's 1 a year. There's most likely something fundamentally bad about it waiting to short or scratch or seize.
>>
is the Wi-Fi sync transfer of data safe ? between a PC and a phone
>>
>>102276520
I guess my question is kinda like asking how long a piece of string is
>>
>>102276363
then it depends on how important the data is
>>
>>102275368
>>102276141
nvm, looks like the version of the game is at fault.
>>
>>102271996
Thanks
BTW, On linux mint I can access all windows10 folders. Even those that are supposed to be protected (user/myusername/downloads for example) is this normal?
>>
>>102276643
complete crap shoot. no way to determine. if you have regular backups feel free to roll the dice
>>
>>102276733
Yeah, why would Linux give a shit about Windows' protected files or whatever?
Either install grub-customizer or run the command to update grub with both SSDs installed, it will automatically detect that there's a Windows install on another drive and add it to the list.
>>
>>102276479
On a good drive? Zero. You may have some marginal ones that are good with for RAID, but for use without redundancy the acceptable number is zero at any age.
>>
Trying to unfuck an SSD drive using Parted Magic 2016.
sudo mke2fs -n /dev/sda1
tells me that there's a Superblock backup at 8193.
sudo e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda1
returns that the superblock could not be read.

Are both the primary and backup superblock on this drive fucked? A power outage caused this failure, otherwise the drives still hold all data and I'm trying to wipe the data before sending them away for replacement.
>>
Please direct me to the right thread if possible.

That said:
I have been having trouble for a few weeks trying to use SQL server 2022 with mixed mode.
There is a untrusted certificate problem.

After a few weeks, magically, the IDE and the Database management studio has established a connection with the same checked options as in the beginning.

Now, I should just progress continuing my coding journey.
However I lost so much time and shed enough tears I want to actually know how to create a certificate that is trusted enough for other applications to connect to it.

How do I create a certificate for a windows SQL 2022 instance in windows 11, so VS Studio and Microsoft SQL server management studio trusts it when I connect via mixed mode authentication?
>>
File: 1723430829606134.jpg (109 KB, 625x535)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>102252181
Is tmux a meme?
I don't see the benefit of using it over spawning a new terminal
>>
>>102253734
Is SMR still a dealbreaker for HDDs?
>>
>>102276838
it's like a tiling window manager but you can use it anywhere you can use a terminal
also detach/reattach is incredibly useful if you do a lot of work over ssh
>>
>>102276867
It never was, it always depended on your use case
>>
I put my ISP modem in bridge mode, I can access it on the 192.168.100.1 ip, my tp-link router serving my entire house is on 192.168.0.10, the internet work fine and all, but is this correct? should my tp-link router be on the 192.168.100.x network?
>>
>>102276881
Say if I use one on a desktop mainly for storage but occasionally running files on it (think media files like videos), but most of the time I just keep it turned off? And I use another one that sits in cold storage solely as a backup of the first. Is it a waste of money to get CMR for both?
>>
>>102276868
>also detach/reattach is incredibly useful if you do a lot of work over ssh
Does that spawn another terminal that's already logged in to the ssh session, or is there some other benefit?
>>
>>102276890
It's normal for ISP modem/router combos to insert themselves on a 192.168.100.x (or similar) network when in modem-only mode. It's also normal if your TP link router is on a public-facing IP address despite this.
>>
>>102276890
>should my tp-link router be on the 192.168.100.x network
Yes, it should, but it should also be on the 192.168.0.x subnet. The router's LAN and WAN ports will have separate IP addresses.
>>
>>102276946
>log in via ssh
>start tmux
>work for a while
>detach
>log in later
>attach
>your session is still open
>>
>>102276954
>>102276962
oh I get it, despite the router not being on the same network as the modem the WAN IP still gets through and there is no problem, thanks
>>
>>102276936
SMR is for when reads vastly outweigh writes
>>
>>102277011
So if I'm getting this right a cold storage HDD should be CMR and one that is driven daily be SMR?
>>
>>102276890
Clearly not in bridge mode. In bridge mode you'd get the Internet IP and also likely got conflicts between devices as your ISP only gives one.
>>
>>102276993
Why not just log in on a terminal and throw it to a workspace I'm not using, and come back to it later?
>>
>>102277068
That means you have to keep your desktop environment open. And instead of simply SSHing in, you have to use some graphical remote desktop protocol to access that terminal again.
>>
>>102277094
Fair enough, just not my use case.
Thanks for the help, anon.
>>
>>102275402
Q key: my ring finger (moves upwards)
P key: my index finger (moves all the way to the side)
>I think you're supposed to use your pinkies
Absolutely not. Rule of thumb is that you need to keep at least two fingers on any WASD key.
>>
>>102277131
I was just about to type the same post except tag it with gamer.
>>
>>102275638
I've honestly never heard of any configuration that didn't allow Linux to boot.
>>
File: 4chan venn diagram.jpg (85 KB, 1024x768)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>102277138
Sorry for ninja'ing, anon.
Take this old meme as apology.
>>
Is W11 just incapable of playing blurays or do I need some extension bullshit? DVDs work with no issue but I've tried several different players and they refuse to read a BD disc (yes it's a BD drive I'm not that retarded)
>>
File: Screenshot_284.png (8 KB, 624x150)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
Why has gepetto not been showing these things on my latest chat since this morning?
>>
>>102276645
>then it depends on how important the data is
If its lost then I just can KM
Plan to have 3 offline backups on 3 other devices and 2 online back ups.
>>
File: 1695147642216226.jpg (174 KB, 1800x1440)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
I want to run my Discord account via a program to make an LLM-driven fake user.
How can I do that in a way that's least likely for Discord to detect and ban me?

Note:
1. Doesn't have to be efficient or fast - don't need hundreds of bots to raid, just one robot friend
2. I'm talking purely about Discord detecting bad requests on their backend or whatever, like they do with a custom client (which has to "mime" things and that's where it gets technical and I don't know). NOT talking about human users (or human Discord moderators) noticing that I'm talking like ChatGPT.

if I just use a (headless or headful) browser and scrape the frontend to find the text window, input text letter-by-letter and hit send, will I get busted?
>>
>>102277309
Sounds about right.
Just make sure you keep in mind to randomize the HTTP call timings, limit your rate, etc.
In short, keep it as human-like as possible.
>>
>>102276312
that's what I want to do. my question was whether they are reliable or not, or any other reasons not to buy them.
the other anon suggested using BD-R discs. I'm still not sure it's a good idea, since the recorders are as expensive as HDDs
>>
>>102252909
you updated and you need to restart your browser
>>
>>102271346
Spoiler tags don't work on /g/, but that should work on boards with spoiler tags. /g/ has code tags.
>>
>>102258960
man I quit that garbage so long ago but that has to be async-tasked too?

man i'm completely gone from this and not going back

fucking slow as shit c# and asyc task
>>
>>102275638
Progress but there's a lot of stuff that doesn't work yet

Source: my ass
jk read it on Phoronix a couple of days ago too lazy to find the sauce
>>
>>102258960
are you doing wcf btw?

ough also my previous life
>>
>>102276838
You see, the best (and most important) benefit of tmux is that it protects your terminal from crashing with the whole DE, or closing. Thiis is specially useful if you're running some critical long-running process. I encountered this many times as a loonix user. Hell I even Alt+F4'd one terminal and I could've lost hours of processing if it wasn't for tmux guarding my terminal.
>>
I could use some help. My pc has been crashing while playing HuntShowdown but when i do stress tests/benchmarks i get no crashes or issues. PC crashes but lights on my mouse, keyboard and gpu stays on, same goes for the fans which keep spinning. Temps seem fine to me while playing, the gpu is in the low 80s and the cpu is around the low to mid 60s. Drivers are all up to date other than the Bios which i havent updated yet.

specs:
>ryzen 7 7800x3d
>xfx 6950xt
>tuf gaming b650 plus
>seasonic focus gx 1000w gold
>corsair vengeance 32gb ddr5 running at 5200mhz
>>
>install firefox
>redgifs doesn't show videos
>open chrome
>video plays
>go to /g/
>won't let me "verify", click the captcha textbox four times before saying it couldn't be loaded
>open chrome to post this
how do i go about diagnosing this? it's a clean install on W10 and i was hoping to start using FF more
>>
>>102266310
Oh shit based
I somehow failed to realize you can just put stuff in the rack because it's you know, a tank
>>
>>102278288
Minor spelling error I'm gonna fucking kms
*a rack
>>
File: file.png (288 KB, 383x739)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
>>102278157
It could be possible your PSU is shorting out after reaching a certain amount of power consumption.
Buy one of pic related and see if it happens at the same amount of wattage each time you crash.
If so, you'll need to replace your PSU.
>>
>>102278281
Install LibreWolf instead.
The 4chan connection issues is due to cloudflare thinking you're either a mobile user or a bot.
>>
>>102278281
>>102278382
im retarded and installed the ESR and that shit apparently breaks a bunch of sites, everything works on regular FF
i'll try librewolf and see if any sites i use break
>>
>>102278471
The only think that I've seen breaking is canvas related stuff.
But when it does, you can enable it by pressing the "hey i just blocked a canvas for you" button that appears in the URL bar.
Also don't forget to install uBlock Origin.
>>
>>102278157
Drivers are up to date doesn't mean they don't fuck up. Try older versions maybe.

>>102278367
That's not a thing, and those cheap wall plug meters aren't fast enough to measure anything with PFC anyway. Power consumption can be tracked far more accurately with software when CPU and GPU are your only major draws.
>>
>>102278508
>That's not a thing, and those cheap wall plug meters aren't fast enough to measure anything with PFC anyway.
What the fuck are you talking about?
>Power consumption can be tracked far more accurately with software when CPU and GPU are your only major draws.
No seriously, is this an attempt at trolling? Am I being trolled right now?
>>
>>102278288
>a tank
that's pretty accurate if you ask me

Yeah, few people just told me I could've got IKEA bookshelf instead of a full rack if I'm not going to be using rack-mountable devices. But, you know, with a real rack I have both options, in the future I might get rack-mountable PC cases and other stuff
>>
>>102278589
>I could've got IKEA bookshelf instead of a full rack
Holy shit
NTA, but I have just been enlightened
I thank thee, anon of ymouse
>>
whats a good entry level trackball mouse?
>>
>>102278730
Logitech ERGO M575
>>
>>102278527
>What the fuck are you talking about?
>It could be possible your PSU is shorting out after reaching a certain amount of power
It isn't because you have a fuse in the PSU and a circuit breaker. It's not 'shorting out'. It may have out of spec ripple or fall out of regulation, but it's not likely stress tests fail to trigger this condition.
>buy a shitty wall plug power adapter power meter
Pic is what APFC line side draw looks like. What happens when you only measure this at 30 points? You need an old fashioned analog meter or good digital meter that makes 10k measurement/s.
>>Power consumption can be tracked far more accurately with software when CPU and GPU are your only major draws.
>No seriously, is this an attempt at trolling? Am I being trolled right now?
Precision buck converters are serious business since like 2005 man. Idk what to tell you. They don't include conversion losses or incidentals, but the reading is a lot closer to reality than a shitty digital meter.
>>
File: 1725743526.png (90 KB, 850x487)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>102278788
pic
>>
>>102278788
>>102278804
You could have just answered with "yes".
>>
>>102278861
Great counterpoint retard.
>>
>>102278367
Even if i got a brand new one? would really suck having to go through with sending it back and such but ill try the OCCT power test
>>102278508
Could it be bios version?
>>
>>102275477
Ok so I left the drive to get copied as a disk image on another drive and after a while it was saying 2 hours left (500gb hdd), so I left it running and went to do other stuff. Come back two hours later, and it only copied 100gb and it's saying 200 hours left. Turns out my other fucking drive is also fucking cooked! the 100gb image disappeared and the drive is throwing errors. Doing the process again on a drive I know for sure is good and at least it's up to 100gb again pretty fast.
>>
>>102267462
>>102267583
How safe is it compared to torrents?
What can I find there I cant on torrents?
>>
>>102268742
As in GUI frameworks?
>>
>>102279056
>Could it be bios version?
Yeah, try updating BIOS.
>>
>>102268742
Honestly? I'd just use stuff like Wails or Tauri.
It's like Electron, but not as heavy since it makes use of the internal browser.
>>
All the USB slots on my PC occasionally disconnect, I've updated my chipset and fiddled around with my cables to reduce shorting but I still don't know what's causing it. It's a new issue on a few months old build so I don't think it's a power supply issue. Any ideas?
>>
File: file.png (65 KB, 636x353)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>102279447
Turn this off for every USB device in Device Manager and see if the problem persists.
>>
>>102279472
I think I have, or at least on some of them, but it's still happening to all my ports at once
>>
>>102279555
All of them at once? That's extraordinarily strange.
Sounds like a voltage issue. I'd check your BIOS settings.
Perhaps you could try to overclock the NB or SB with like 0.1 volts?
>>
>>102279568
I'll give it a go, thanks amigo
Yeah I thought it would be strange considering it's both my front and back USB boards but literally nothing else
>>
>>102259067
>32bit
it turns out... it was.
>>
>>102279372
Ill try that. I just did an hour of Power testing on OCCT with zero errors or crashes so i really dont think its hardware
>>
File: 1629597099515.jpg (42 KB, 640x615)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>102279721
lmao
Don't worry anon, it happens to the best of us.
>>
>>102279568
Fug I don't think my bios lets me overclock SB, which covers USBs
>>
If I have a 2-port PCI ethernet card, does it make sense to bond them if both ports go to the same physical switch, or do they need separate switches to work properly? If the former, should I expect performance improvements if the link is currently saturated due to number of connections, not any one connection saturating it, or will I be wasting my time?
>>
>>102278752
>Logitech ERGO M575
are there similar models that have wires.
>>
do the yellow lights at C5 and C6 mean I should replace the drive?
>>
>>102280636
Not really. Time to move with the stream towards the future instead of saying in the past, old man!
>>
>>102279721
time to move to 64bit, grampa
I'd guess most Linux distros let you do it from inside the OS itself, so maybe try that if you wanna have some fun and have some time to waste in case shit breaks, otherwise backup your stuff and reinstall.
>>
>>102279721
>>102280932
I also forgot that you can use PAE kernels:
https://askubuntu.com/a/272879
but don't do that, move to 64bit already...
>>
>>102280652
No, the 1000GB number at the top means you should replace the drive. The yellow lights just mean you shouldn't use it without redundancy.
>>
>>102280426
Complex question, here I go.
>2-port PCI ethernet card
I'm assuming your card is 2-port gigabit. A gigabit link alone would saturate the standard PCI bus because gigabit is 125MB/sec while the whole PCI bus is 133MB/sec. If that's the case then there's no point of connecting both since the bus will be the bottleneck.

Now, omiting the previous point:
>does it make sense to bond them if both ports go to the same physical switch
It makes sense, see below
>do they need separate switches to work properly?
It depends on your particular usecase. Example: Say your machine is a NAS for 2 different networks, it makes sense to plug each port to a different switch, each network will get its own full bandwidth. However, it's more flexible to connect to a single one.
>should I expect performance improvements if the link is currently saturated due to number of connections, not any one connection saturating it, or will I be wasting my time?
Here's the tricky part. You can expect performance improvements, yes, but it depends on several factors which are the type of Network Switch you're using and the Load Balancing Algorithm.

Let's go by parts.
This is called Load Balancing and can be very tricky to setup. Depending on the Network Switch you have different forms of LB, let's start with the standard one.

>Managed Switch
This is only available for managed switches that have a web ui and myriad of options, the load balancing algorithm is called LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol). This is the standard and widely used form of LB, it is configured at the switch level and also at the device level so both the device and the switch are aware of the Load Balancing. This is highly efficient and is used in enterprise environments, this allows the server to have more bandwidth to serve more clients. Do note that a single connection won't have increased bandwidth. Ex.: Transfer a file over the network to a single device will have the max bandwidth of a single port.
Cont.
>>
>>102280999
(Cont)
However, if another device starts transferring files at the same time then the LB will kick in and balance the load to the other port.

>Unmanaged switch
There are several algorithms that can enable LB on standard non-managed switches but they rely on some hacks like for example MAC changing/spoofing. They're configured at the device level since the Switch isn't managed so you can't configure it. Unfortunately these hacks can make some services unreliable [citation needed]. As far as I know these LB algorithms can be used only on Linux systems (anons feel free to correct me on this one). From my personal testing, the LB algorithm called balance-alb gave me double bandwidth when transferring files but at the expense of some weird behavior with my self hosted services.
>>
>>102280999
>>102281065
thanks for the detailed response
>>
I got a PCIe ethernet card, a Intel X540-T2, for my "seedbox" so I could connect it with just an ethernet cable to my main PC, which has 2 ethernet ports, a 1gbe and a 10gbe. Both PCs are connected to the router with the 1gbe, but since it's slow and the upgrade was just under 20€, I got that card.
When I set the ip and shit, it works, but everything else is slow as fuck (connection coming from the 1gbe, the connection transfering files from the 10gbe to the other 10gbe is normal), and I keep getting trackers not working on my torrent client.

My current IPs are:
>PC1 1gbe
192.168.31.5/24
>PC1 10gbe
192.168.1.1/24

>PC2 1gbe
192.168.31.6/24
>PC2 10gbe
192.168.1.2/24

I saw that you need the submask and IP to switch, idk if that's real or not, but removing the submask and/or DNS breaks it.
>>
>>102281157
What are the second IP's here:

I'm assuming these are the gateways.
You might want to remove the gateways for those network interfaces that are not connected to the router (10Gbe afaik). Also remove the DNS from those ones so those are used internally just for data transfer and not for internet access
>>
File: file.png (14 KB, 263x89)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>102281223
yeah my bad, they are the gateways. If I remove them, I get stuck with pic related. I removed the DNSs, and it's actually fine with that (I though it didn't work).
>>
>>102281269
That's windows retardation for you, glad it got resolved
>>
is it possible to get around google play developer device requirement without owning an android?
>>
File: file.png (53 KB, 621x675)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>102281280
based. So it should be working (but it isn't)?
If I set a gateway, it works, but I get two pop up saying something about it might not working right, then the internet from the other adapter starts working slow (not the speed, but maybe trying to find the request or whatever).
>>
>>102281329
Gotcha, just set the config that works for you (Gateway but no DNS afaik)
>>
>>102281337
The problem is that it doesn't work. With or without DNS but a gateway, it works, but slow on the connection with the router for internet.
Removing the gateway, it doesn't. I actually looked for this problem and found a reddit dude asking almost the same, but he is using two cards, while I'm using one card and the built in from my mobo, but it should work the same at the end. But it doesn't. He said he fixed it by deleting the gateways.
I even tried using other IPs like 10.10.1.1, but I get the same results.
>>
>>102281322
Can't you use the devices from Android studio's emulator?
>>
>>102281384
Interesting, can you send a screenshot of all your 4 connections? There might be something going on there

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.