[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • You may highlight syntax and preserve whitespace by using [code] tags.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1238767395518.jpg (46 KB, 500x404)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>Interviewing
Tips and interview practice: https://blog.interviewing.io/

>How to write a resume
https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/11/25/how-to-write-an-effective-developer-resume-advice-from-a-hiring-manager/

>Salary Stuff
"What's your expected salary?": https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
Negotiation advice: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
Salary data: https://levels.fyi/

Don't disclose your current salary to recruiters.

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

Previous thread: >>102310481
>>
I have my vacation soon(tm). How the fuck do I trick my brain to doing some work before I leave? I'm so burnt out bros but I can't seem to get any motivation to finish my projects before I leave.
>>
>new to company
>hr ask me to write a simple about me with one line about my previous job
>guy in same department writes intricate intro talking about his career accolades
>we're being introduced on the same day
... I could have done that too now I'm going to look like a chump
>>
Should devops specifically even exist as its own role? Why cant I just write the scripts for deployment for my own team, fumb nigger company
>>
>>102321211
kek
I think of this post every day
feels good bros
>>
>>102321449
devops is what happens when your org is too fucking cheap to hire the necessary amount of people
>>
boomercorp i work at suddenly made a complete 180 on AI shit, and is now fully shilling their own GPT model + offering copilot to everyone.
how does this even happen? I'm not complaining, just surprised they went from "IF YOU USE ANY AI SHIT YOU'RE FIRED" to "PLEASE USE AI AS MUCH AS YOU CAN" overnight.
>>
>>102321516
why would they ban him for that
>>
>>102321598
They hated him because he spoke the truth.
>>
>>102321598
>ban
read it again very closely
>>
>>102321562
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnsI67bHpmk
keep up or get left behind
>>
>>102321624
i'm a retard
>>
>>102321624
shit!
>>
its 1030am
woke up a little early for my 11am standup
will be leaving at my normal 4pm
>>
File: POOPROGRAMMER.png (1.13 MB, 1009x1048)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>102321241
bootcramp grads think they can compete with Brahmins like Poopesh and Pradeep
>>
>>102322066
dumb street shitters
>>
>>102321353
Learning how to act like an egotistical windbag is part of the process of adapting to the workforce
>>
how fucked up is this?
My boss fired a guy last week, but he still wants to be friendly so he created a Signal group with all of us and my boss in it and is giving us daily updates on his job search and my boss is being nice and responding.
>>
>>102321269
Baby steps. If finishing a project seems like too much work ask your brain to do tinier and tinier tasks until it agrees to one
>>
>>102322134
It's more of my tasks have been so abstract, my boss doesn't know what his boss wants and I don't either. I feel like I'm playing league of legends and I'm grinding in the farming phase but nobody's giving any sign to push or anything and I'm constantly confused on who's handling what in our projects.

now I can see why people say PMs are fucking useless lmao.
>>
>>102322118
reverse humiliation ritual
beyond based
>>
>>102322158
>league of legends reference
>>
>>102322066
>poos your open source codebase
so this is the power of Bharat
>>
>>102322116
I've been in this field for 6 years
I looked at other introductions and nobody else did that.
>>
Started my new remote job last week and all I have done is read documents and complete training. I have spent the first 3 hours of the day reading manga and playing minecraft.
>>
So do I go back for my last two years to get a CS degree, or do I get something else like economics?
>>
File: 20210920_163506.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Anyone dealing with try-hard GenZ new-hires/juniors?

This one kid on my team just _does not_ stop working. Zero friends or hobbies modulo programming and "looking smart"

Just last night he replied to an email at 3 AM (responding to Euro team) and then this morning at 6 starting emailing me about what architectural choices he should make

>online on Slack from 6 to 10 minimum, daily, including weekends
>constantly "reaching out" to everyone above him, I assume so he's "seen" and "recognized"
>puts entire team under constant stress, including our manager and skip level, because he has no off button
>bringing culture and morale of entire team down by being a retarded incel
>despite constantly "reaching out", has never taken advice or criticism from senior team members seriously
>can constantly be found spinning his tires off in the weeds doing some stupid ass side project that nobody asked for
>most recently wrote a python script to read an API definition .yml file and generated .cc files with HTTP handlers written as regular expressions
>sure, cool man, but nobody asked for that, and why the fuck would you introduce the runtime overhead of regexs when you're just parsing URIs from a yaml file? you could just copy the string literal from the yaml to the C++ HTTP handler...
>thinks he's some prodigy programmer because he's fresh out of a 4 year dual BS/MS program
>basically a bull in a china shop, unable to be managed or guided
How the fuck do I deal with this retard? We all simultaneously hate him and pity him since he's so new to the industry.

Real Jimmy Neutron/Spongebob rainbows "I'm gonna change the heckin' worlderino!' archetype.
>>
>>102322299
fine, it's like im playing yugioh and me and my opponent keep bricking. bruh idk what to do mannn i can't keep summoning ash blossom in defense mode
>>
>>102322365
"Hey, don't work off hours and only do the work we assigned."
>>
>>102322434
wow brilliant stuff anon thank you for your sage wisdom
here's how that plays out
>"Hey Anon, you're gonna burn yourself out, champ. Don't try too hard, give yourself a break sometimes"
>"okay"
>proceeds to continue doing what he has always done
>>
>>102322450
How do you know if you haven't asked him?
>>
File: 1712118619023847.jpg (49 KB, 740x370)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
So HR sent my manager my info and CC'ed me on my second day and he hasn't contacted me. Should I wait to message him until he introduces me to the team?
IT was surprised I set up some of my local programs and completed my hr training on my first day too.
I kind of like this pace because everyone seems laid back
I'm not used to this so I don't want to look like a spazz
>>
>>102322459
Did you read my post?

>>>despite constantly "reaching out", has never taken advice or criticism from senior team members seriously

>>>basically a bull in a china shop, unable to be managed or guided
>>
>>102322365
Don't worry the kid will burn out eventually and jump ship to a new company. I was the same way in my first year in this career and everyone ignored me or responded with the smallest replies, I learned that I didn't have to work as hard and quieted down. Now I don't do shit lol
>>
>>102322450
The fuck else are you gonna do?
>>
>>102322365
crop dust his work area
he might be too autistic to complain and just quit
>>
>>102322554
Yeah here's the thing: he has somehow managed to negotiate a full remote position while the rest of us are office-cucks. He also comes from old money -- has a giant cabin on a few acres in the Rockies and another home in San Diego courtesy of mom and dad. He has literally zero reason to invest this much effort into a wagecuck sweng job.

>tl;dr i'd dust him up if I could
>>
>>102322594
kek exactly the archetype I was imagining
a coddled privileged kid who has never been told no or struggled with anything
>>
>>102322365
You have to weaponize his autism or give him BS special projects. In law enforcement they have these types work on Jon Doe's case file.
>>
Reminder that coasters get pip'd
If you're:
>only working for 1-2 hours a day
>only focusing on jira tickets
>not looking for additional ways to generate value
>not being proactive in scheduling meetings
>not doing demos to your team
>not aggressively maintaining relationships with your skip
>not proactively paying for certifications and then filing reimbursements later
Then chances are you're on the road to a pip.
You're also very unlikely to ever advance beyond entry level.
This isn't a lounge around and soak up the sunshine industry. You must grind or else you'll be left in the dust.
>>
I have an end user that wants to use features on our software that we haven't enabled and she needs it STAT.

I fucking hate these types of scenarios because in my mind it's as easy as toggling a button and I really don't give a shit but if she messes up or audit or whatever fucking gets on my ass, I'm going to lose it. We rushed a feature for her once and now she's fucking up my marbles to get this one released.
Holy fuck I'm about to go to my boss and lock this shit and start having an intake form for new features and stuff like that. I need a better procedure because this "can I, can I not?" is driving me insane.
>>
>>102322700
>>not being proactive in scheduling meetings
>>not aggressively maintaining relationships with your skip
these are really the only two things that matter. the entire global economy is fake down to the worker level. if you want raises, recognition, promotions, just be likeable and make sure management hears your voice and sees your face. let the autistic dork incels worry about "generating value".
>>
>>102322752
you'll just get gaslit and told it's your job to deal with ambiguity. imagine a surgeon being told the same thing?
>"am I performing a cardian by-pass today or a gall bladder removal?"
>"lol idk incel just get it done! that's ur job x^D"
>>
>>102322700
god fucking damn it PIF and fucking fire me already i hate being a sysadmin. fuck this my favorite job was fast food maybe I'll just go back and be a manger there or something.
>>
>>102322783
if we do things my way then im just gonna fucking turn the switch on everything. fuck procedures. all this office politics is driving me fucking insane.
>>
>>102321241
how do you guys deal with

>meaninglessness associated with your jobs
>managers you argue with about the order of slides in a fucking powerpoint

I've been essentially making a PowerPoint presentation for 3 months now, and I want to die. I'm currently looking for a new gig outside of software. I'm thinking IT Support cus I want to help people.
>>
>>102322752
My old company had the same retarded shit. New features requested directly to the devs and expected asap. It's the jeets fault for always saying "yes sir we can do it", and now everyone suffers. You need a product team between you and the end user to stop this shit.
>>
>>102322816
fuck this bro, come join me at mcdonalds. we can fucking run the drive thru, make it our king!
>>
>>102322784
My first two years in tech were the best.
Fuck around in terminals. Read some documentation to try and deploy a thing. Get frustrated, call it a day, and try again tomorrow.
Do a couple of tickets a week.
It all goes to shit so fast after that though. Tech isn't a new industry but it really feels like nobody really understands how anything should work, but the only goal companies have is to get that VC investment cheque.
I dunno, my dad worked in tech in the 80s and 90s and routinely drank on the job and had 2 hour lunches. You'd literally get fired on day 2 for trying to pull that today.
>>
>>102322700
It's not about your work, it's about the perception of your work. It's also about business decisions and hidden motives outside your control.

You have power too, if you choose. I don't work hard and I also don't care about getting fired, I have connections in competitor businesses (family members and old coworkers) who would pick me up in a heartbeat if I ever asked. This is how a tech worker insulates themselves from the rat race, make connections idiot, especially if you have a specialized experience set.
>>
File: 1584717173740.jpg (32 KB, 575x357)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>102322365
don't worry about it anon, he'll grow to understand in due time
>>
>>102322700
why would you want to put more effort? you think these big wig companies mean anything? these fuckers just ruin people's lives. it's just a way for sociopaths to circlejerks themselves. FUCK CORPORATIONS. they don't do fucking shit to anyone, they're just miserable fucking pyramid schemes
>>
>>102322365
dont care but would like to mention how annoying it is you've used "modulo" as a tryhard substitution for "except" in like 10 different posts on here in the last month. faggot
>>
>>102322365
Guys like this have to learn the hard way. Life has to break them. And don't worry, it will. Especially at a quasi-governmental job like your pic.
>>
>>102322364
>CS
I could see the job market recovering from the current high interest rates in a couple of years, not a bad bet.
>Econ
You want to explain elastic economics to your McDonalds manager?
>>
how do i cope working for businesses for money when i need money or else ill die but the government takes my money and fucks me in the ass but i need that little bit of money to raise my happiness meter a little bit so i don't get soul crushed by corporations which are in cahoots with the government to fuck the middle and lower class so fucking hard. how has nobody fucking gone crazy and pull a tyler durden yet
>>
>>102322118
kind of funny
>>
>>102322700
>relationships with your skip
your what now?
>>
wtf is a "skip"?
>>
>>102322843
I wouldnt mind minimum wage but

>on feet all day
>greasy air
>customers yelling at me

I don't want to experience that again
>>
>>102323100
dumpster. talking to a jeet I guess? lol
>>
>>102322700
>>102323071
>>102323100
>>
why are jeets so obsessed with cracking shit
>>
>>102323119
fuck customers be like kevin spacey in american beauty. no responsibility means no need to care. tell karens to shove it and when you go viral make that your career.
>feet all day
good job walking instead of sitting down like a cuck
>greasy air
FUCK YEAH
>>
>>102322364
healthcare for invincible job security
tech will be saturated for a very long time so you better be very good at networking or very good at a set of skills
>>
File: 1711059389990253.jpg (39 KB, 657x716)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
So how much of a retard am I being for immediately ignoring all jeet recruiters and snap hiding all job posts from
>Dice
>Actalent
>Aerotec
>Michael Page
>any other scammy recruiter firms
>SpaceX
>Boeing
>Tesla
>>
>>102323235
Just don't get fired without backup options and you're fine. You *do* have backup options, right anon?
>>
>>102323235
>job aggregators
always trash
>jeet recruiters
always ignore unless it's an inhouse recruiter from a company you want to join
>>
File: 1683228305554489.jpg (38 KB, 540x507)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>102323268
>be me
>laid off 2 years ago
>previous employer made sure I don't make any connections
>think previous employer has been a negative reference
>this job market
I'm cooked
>>
>>102323100
skip level is a term appropriated from the US military that refers to someone having a meeting with their boss's boss.
>>
>>102323327
Exaggerate your resume. 2 years is good enough. I don't think references ever mattered for me at least, and connections didn't do shit for me.
>>
>>102323235
>Actalent
>Aerotec
these faggots are pests

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.