[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1708930050929107.jpg (1.1 MB, 1000x1034)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>What's a webtoon?
Webtoon is the ancient Korean art of scrolling comics. Instead of traditional manga/comic pages, panels are spread out individually for easier reading on cell phones.

>So they're just spliced manga/comic pages?
You can do that if you want, but they're fundamentally different for a few reasons. For example, panels tend to be drawn longer to fit phone screens, and traditional 2-page spreads are not possible to fit in scrolling format.

>Are there standard page sizes?
Technically yes, but it depends on which platform you post in. Naver Webtoons uses
800x1280px, but the site automatically splices & resizes images anyway.

>Do I have to make it in color?
If you want subscribers, yes.

>Why would I make one?
To be rich & famous, of course. All jokes aside, the pay is low if you're lucky enough to get hired in the first place, the deadlines are more brutal than the manga industry, and the average reader age floats around 11. But as a novel medium with a growing industry, it may still be worthwhile enough for you to experiment.

>RESOURCES
https://www.clipstudio.net/how-to-draw/archives/157055
https://tips.clip-studio.com/en-us/articles/2792
https://studio.lemoon.io/en/10-things-to-know-before-creating-a-webtoon

>WHERE TO PUBLISH
https://www.webtoons.com/en/
https://tapas.io/
https://globalcomix.com/
https://namicomi.com/en
https://www.lezhinus.com/en/ (Application only)

previous thread: >>7073603
>>
File: GJoSHy7acAEY8ET.jpg (402 KB, 1335x2048)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
>>7123638
Thanks for using my pic for the OP threadmaker. I've been pencilling pages of Cosmic Crush but it's going pretty slow because I got a new baby so am not getting much sleep or time
>>
File: GJoSHy7aYAAptb9.jpg (418 KB, 1383x2048)
418 KB
418 KB JPG
I'm drawing it in regular page format but I'm making the panels simple so it will be easy to reformat for scroll.
>>
>>7123974
Damn, congratulations omeow. They say that the three months after the birth of a baby is an unofficial "fourth trimester" with all the crazy care a kid needs, so be sure to take care of yourself too.
>>
>>7123974
>>7123977
That's actually adorable. Her growing up watching Invader Zim became the reason for her alien obsession.

Also, it's kind of funny that this is the case for your comic, as I know a girl in real life who did the exact same thing and was always (and still is) insanely attracted to Zim.
>>
>>7123974
>>7123977
Oh no....she's cute!
>>
Sunday shill

https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/goodnight-dana/list?title_no=839366

Does anyone know if webtoon sends a notification to subs if I edit an old episode? I want to correct some typos, but I don't want to annoy my readers.
>>
>>7125317
It doesn't
>>
File: RIP.png (97 KB, 447x345)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
My first chapter got shoah'd off webtoons...
I guess I'm going to have to delete the first 9 or so pages? I knew it was a risk, but I thought my edits would be enough...

Am I allowed to reupload? Should I just upload a new chapter, or delete the series and start over.
I only had like 9 views anyway

Uncensored:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/117534215
Censored version that got banned:
https://tapas.io/series/Jack-Money
>>
>>7126149
You can ask Webtoons what specifically has to be done to allow for those nine pages to be added back in. Worst case scenario, those nine pages just don't get included. Keep in mind that Webtoons is the most censorious of any hosting platform out there. You can still try a handful of other sites.
>>
>>7126149
I usually don't say this but your work has heart. Even if you don't achieve the massive success that any artist desires, I think the most important thing is the learning that you will achieve in drawing it.
Don't make the mistake of "redrawing" panels. What's done is done and you must learn to let go. If you want to change something, do it when it doesn't exist yet, improve your skills for the future not the past.

Maybe not now or not even with this project but one day you will achieve the impact and all your past works are proof of your hard effort.
>>
>>7126158
Yeah I guess I'll try and email them, that really didn't cross my mind.

>>7126159
I appreciate it anon, easily the most encouraging response I've gotten. I am trying my best to not make the mistake of redrawing panels and getting hung up on them.

Now if only you worked for webtoons!
>>
>>7126149
I love your style anon, it's really charming and whimsical. I apologize for the unsolicited critique but I recommend you grind expressions hard, because the expressions in these panels are very flat, which CAN work in realistic styles but with a fluid cartoony style like yours exaggerated expressions are expected.
>>
>>7126173
All critique is welcome, and I would love to do more exaggerated expressions, they are much more fun. I'll try that out.
>>
>>7126149
>>7126166
>>7126178
You might honestly just have to post somewhere else like Comicfury or something.
>>
>>7126178
That's good to hear, of course I don't mean go full Ed, Edd n Eddy but maybe shop around different styles to do some studies on expressions that work well with your style.
>>
>>7126181
I will chip in and say also that places like GlobalComix and NamiComi openly market that they don't censor (just a warning label) as a selling point. INKR doesn't either, I think, but an NSFW comic won't show up on their app version as they are forced to obey Google/Apple's app store rules.
>>
>>7126181
>>7126186
Never heard of it, but check out comicfury. I'll try namicomi as well. I wanted to post on mpc but it seems like they are also very particular on what you can post
>>7126184
Classic disney is a big inspiration for me, I just want to avoid the calarts expressions

Appreciate the feedback folks
>>
>>7126191
Yes, MPC will also censor (hell, they originally censored my work as well), but at least they were extremely apologetic about it when I asked them what happened, and said it was because they were forced to due to the rules of app stores, etc. Their censorship requirements were also not as strict as that of Webtoons.
>>
>>7123638
I stopped posting my comics on webtoons and Tapas . After reading their policies I don't want to support them. Maybe I'm being weird. But they seem like money grubbing companies.
Whatever , I'm a literal who anyway.
>>
>>7127614
>they seem like money grubbing companies.
They pretty much all are anon, of course I woudldn't support any place that encourages heavy handed censorship (unless its homo love)
But I'm trying to build an audience, gotta play ball for now
>>
>>7127614
You said it, we're all literal whos, our numbers are so small that webtoon or tapas couldn't care less about us. If we were to leave the platform forever, that wouldn't hurt them at all.
It's a lost cause, all companies are the same, but you can take advantage of them and use their platforms to promote yourself, or not, it's your choice after all.
>>
Bump
>>
>>7128631
>all companies are the same
The problem with webcomic hosts is that invariably all the major ones tend to be Korean, especially the ones that are popular. This means that they are going to be more censorious than your average western Europe/N. American site. FFS Korea doesn't allow depictions of bikinis because they're too "lewd." Literally stuck in the 1950s over there.
>>
>>7130158
Are Korean girls allowed to wear bikinis on Korean beaches?
>>
>>7130513
Women can wear them at pools or beaches, but doing something like walking down the street in a city will get you their equivalent of a misdemeanor and a fine for "overexposure."
>>
File: Mix Page - Copy.png (170 KB, 723x1080)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>>7130513
>>7130158
I got my entire chapter removed. It had girls at hotsprings in bikinis. I edited out the cleavage close up, but it didn't work. But I'm not sure if I was removed for the bikinis, or for the peeping tom.
(see >>7126149 )

>Upon review, your episode was removed due to unsuitable content as we generally do not allow thematically inappropriate content on the platform.
Was in the email I got. So I just removed the entire hotsprings sublplot and replaced it with this image last night.
Waiting on an email from them.
>>
>>7130869
This seems like a reasonable placeholder. Not that you should have had to, of course.
>>
File: webtoons.png (10 KB, 889x240)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>7130917
>>7130869
It worked. Scott's a real one
>>
File: GH7w6Ssa0AArGSm.jpg (342 KB, 888x1288)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>7130869
For the Oi beach episode, Webtoon made me give Dana a tube top and remove any shots of cleavage, and to censor all ass and crotch shots with word balloons, but atleast i didn't have to delete entire pages. Medibang mangaplus creators has the worst censorship I encountered. After going back and forth with them for 3 weeks, I wound up having to entirely remove 8 pages from the beach episode. Before that, the comic was on a streak of getting 1k views a day and was in the top 15 fantasy comics. After they hit me with censorship, all views and momentum the comic had died.
For webtoon customer service, I will say they always responded very quickly and sent me screenshots of exactly which panels they wanted me to censor.
>>7124047
Thanks! He's definitely a very needy boy, but overall a cool guy. I look forward to when he sleeps longer than 2 hours at a time!
>>7124404
Penny is inspired by real life, an amalgam of all the anime nerd girls I knew growing up+ all the girls who come to my table at cons and buy Kitty Jenkins books. Hopefully this helps people self insert in to her more. My main challenge in making Zag a cool heartthrob guy without making him a nerd simp. In a lot of newer romance animes I've been watching like Signs of Affection and Hokkaido Girls Are Super Adorable, the guy is a complete blandly supportive nothing of a character. I'm checking out older romance manga to try and avoid that. Writing husbando characters is a challenge because as a guy I've mainly focused on writing waifus for the past several years. I welcome the challenge.
>>
File: Zag Prince of Pluto.jpg (1.17 MB, 1885x1000)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>7131170
>Writing husbando characters is a challenge because as a guy I've mainly focused on writing waifus for the past several years. I welcome the challenge.
Any advice is appreciated. The archetype I know that works is the 50 Shades of Grey/ Twilight Edward dark and mysterious vibe, but that doesn't really fit Zag as he's more of a fun loving fuckboy playboy type.
>>
>>7131170
>After they hit me with censorship, all views and momentum the comic had died.
Yeah I'm not even going to try mess with them then. I'll cut those scenes without asking
>>
>>7131170
>In a lot of newer romance animes I've been watching like Signs of Affection and Hokkaido Girls Are Super Adorable, the guy is a complete blandly supportive nothing of a character.
It's the safest option. Readers can "take" all the emotional support without having to really care about the dude as a character. Having him have strong inclinations or personality would only limit the demographic reach, so you instead get a milquetoast man.
>>
Just finished a black & white chapter.

>>7086900
link?
https://tapas.io/episode/3151513
https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/saint-tues-thurs/someday-somewhere/viewer?title_no=348866&episode_no=71
>>
>>7131729
You seem to get more engagement on tapas, do you think that has anything to do with your genre?
>>
>>7131729
This looks fantastic man!
>>
>>7131760
Not necessarily, there’s a number of things that keep Webtoons engagement low. One reason the engagement is higher on Tapas is more likely because that site, from what I hear, inflates the views so that every time you click on the chapter or look at it, that counts as a view. But, Tapas generally is more friendly towards audience and creator engagement as opposed to Webtoons. But also, you may have a point that this isn’t a genre that the main demographic of Webtoons doesn’t consume compared to what is out there (romance). But that doesn’t stop other Webtoons like World in the Waves and Goodnight Dana that don’t really have a focus on romance but have great story and art that reach their audience. I think the bigger problems come from the title (never changed it from its early days in 2020), the lack of colored pages, and the art style itself.
>>
File: GLKSuVkbQAAGNVM.jpg (545 KB, 1536x2048)
545 KB
545 KB JPG
>>
>>7133215
Why is everything so green? Why is HE so green, lol.
>>
>>7133391
He's an aylmao. This is just a sketch. When it's finished he'll be lighter.
>>
bump
>>
>>7135254
Feels like Goodnight Dana and Cosmic Crush anons are the only ones here. On paper there should be more of you guys than the amount of anons making comics in /mmg/ since chapters are smaller, you don't have to worry as much about paneling, and readers aren't as picky on anyone's art skills. So where is everyone?
>>
>>7135264
I posted in the last thread, I was gonna finish my chapter then post again but if bumping with WIPs helps the thread I could start doing that
>>
>>7135411
Are you the hotel anon?
>>
>>7135503
No I am not
>>
There's chance to make some money with this?
>>
>>7135569
Possible, but unlikely
>>
>>7135569
it depends.
are you a writer? no. are you an artist? no. are you a korean businessman? you'll get a 7-figure live action adaptation deal in minutes of your first upload.
>>
>>7135569
If you're succesful enough, you can make it into originals, but from what've heard, it's like making a deal with the devil, the pay is subhuman and the workload is even worse.

You can also use patreon, there's a lot of canvas creators doing that.
>>
>>7135575
>>7135579
>>7135586
Ok, then fuck this shit
>>
>>7135569
>>7135648
You don't have any story you want to tell at all? You would only tell a story if you're getting cash?
>>
>>7135654
You know that describes the majority of 'artists' today.
>>
>>7135654
Not that anon, but many people dislike the vertical format, or at the very least, prefer traditional page comics over scrolling comics.

I believe we all have stories we want to tell, but choosing between one format or the other is a significant decision. Considering all the disadvantages that webtoons present, it's quite understandable if someone decides it's not worth it.

After all, if you lack confidence in ever earning money from your work, at least you can opt out and create comics the way you want to, without worrying about format, censorship, and the like
>>
File: COSMIC CRUSH moon.jpg (1.05 MB, 900x1338)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
The moonlight is a messenger of love
>>
>>7136161
Omeow, where did her UFO choker go.
>>
>>7137637
Good question. She left it on the desk in her trailer for this shot.
>>
boomp
>>
>>7135411
Lineart is done, just gotta shade and add text
>>
File: 1000022811.png (1.4 MB, 977x10000)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
My comic taking me WAYYYYYY too long to complete. I lose motivation then get it back, lose motivation then get it back, rinse, repeat. It takes so long to get my motivation back that my art improves, which in turn makes me wanna change almost everything which consumes even more time. This is just page one
>>
>>7139538
Anon give me a link to your comic
>>7139544
Your art reminds me of kengan asura. Maybe it's the faces. Looks good
>>
>>7139760
https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/runeterra-divergence/list?title_no=933721
>>
>>7139791
Thank you anon. Holy crap though I have no idea what your description is about, it's completely Greek to me. Thank God you included that bit about it being dnd and LoL so I have at least some reference. I'll give it a read
>>
>>7139796
Yeaah sorry about that, my buddy wants to work for riot so I'm making his writing into a comic in the hopes it can be a portfolio piece for him someday
>>
>>7139791
Neat webtoon! The panel pacing feels nice to me as someone who reads on desktop rather than mobile. The color spot at the end of each chapter really adds impact to the story. At the end of chapter 1, it feels like a breath of fresh air after the characters have spent the chapter cooped up below deck.
>>
New update :)

https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/goodnight-dana/list?title_no=839366

>>7131729
>>7131786
>the lack of colored pages
I think it all comes down to this, because I see no problem with the artstyle, I really like it.
However, choosing fantasy as your main tag is probably not helping much, because people browsing through the fantasy section are looking for angels, demons, dragons, and that sort of thing, so when they read "giant robot" in the summary, they get turned off.
>>7139791
Looks great, the character designs are awesome, and it's interesting to read even to someone who doesn't care much for runeterra as a setting. It really feels like a dnd campaign (in a good way). Good work.
>>
>>7142483
>>7142648
That's anons, I appreciate it!
>>
File: zac.jpg (302 KB, 2048x2048)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>7123638
I had a similar concept to Cosmic Crush, except's more western and Invader Zim inspired.

This is Zac, he's an intergalactic scout. Claims he's a zoologist/ecologist of sorts to the MC. He's a huge coward and just wants to smoke space weed and eat Earth foods.
>>
Also posting an old line-up I want to re-do. I'm more interested in the aliens than the humans, I think I want to remake the entire human cast.
>>
bmp
>>
>>7142873
>emperor dritz
This guy is taller than the IZ’s tallest.
>>
>>7147203
Dude’s literally taller than a lot of multistory buildings
>>
reminder that Pixiv also has a webtoon like upload feature. Easy to upload to. Although its for Jepaneses only.
>>
>>7139538
Chapter 4
https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/runeterra-divergence/wild-life/viewer?title_no=933721&episode_no=4&serviceZone=GLOBAL
>>
File: Pg 9 wip.png (172 KB, 528x700)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
Bumping with a page wip.
>>7123974
>>7123977
>>7136161
This is coming along nicely Omeow! Wish you the best with this new comic!
>>7147552
This comic is pure kino. Both you and your writer are doing an awesome job!
>>7142871
>>7142873
Good stuff dude!
>>7142648
YOOOOO TITLE DROP LETS GOOOO! Epic update!

I pose a question to you anons about your comic btw
>What got you into comic making?
>>
>>7131175
I can tell from the design alone that he's a fuckboy type character, so you did well. Honestly would love to see more of this guy in a satire type comic (if we're making fun of archetypes that is).
>>
File: runeterra.png (1.46 MB, 1000x750)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
>>7147552
I had never really been into webtoons before, but earlier this month on a whim I decided to click on your comic. I love it, and it just might be the reason I regained my interest in drawing actually creative things. I really like your style. It's very expressive and appealing. I like how it's approachable in its simplicity, how the underlying 3D forms are apparent making it easy to study. I wanted to figure out how it worked so I did a few studies, and to my surprise it was actually a lot of fun to draw something stylized. My sketchbook before was filled with little more than anatomy studies and floating heads. I was so focused on the constructive aspects of drawing that I forgot that gesture is what breathes life into a character. I think I want to make a webtoon now. Not sure what about, but someday it'll come to me. So, thanks! May the wind blow strong in your sails.
>>
>>7149607
Thanks anon I'm glad you like it! I passed the compliment to my writer and he was also flattered. I got into both comic making and drawing because I was inspired by his writing
>>7150009
Anon I don't think I'll ever be this flattered again. Also you make him look very pretty and I really love how you do hands. I may need to reverse study your study somehow.
Also please do make a webtoon someday and post it here so I can enjoy it
>>
File: IMG_8878.jpg (2.41 MB, 1284x1727)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>7123638
Just posted the new chapter of this bad boy not long ago, gonna try and rewrite the next one a little before I start thumbnailing it! also, this general is WAY more chill than /hyw/ over on /co/. That place is a shithole sometimes https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/montana-sunset-the-hobo-samurai-/annnnd-theyre-off/viewer?title_no=714929&episode_no=4
>>
File: asdasda.png (159 KB, 802x912)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
how do you guys go about getting references? i've been putting off work on the next chapter of my comic for a while and i realized it's just cause i find it tedious to gather references for the kind of composition i wanna draw
>>7136161
this looks so 2000s internet im intrigued
>>
>>7151081
>this looks so 2000s internet im intrigued
Thanks. I don't actively go for that but maybe my style is permanently stuck in that era. When the 90s nostalgia train ends maybe I'll be able to catch on when the 2000s nostalgia train rolls around. Here's the latest Penny
>>
Thoughts on making a more kid-friendly webcomic aimed towards younger readers?
I see a shitton of teen graphic novels nowadays (physically printed) but what are they even into anyways?
>>
What do you think of the new webtoon SuperLike?
I read that for 1Usd the author will get only 0.49Usd.

I activated it anyway but I don't think it will ever be used.
>>
>>7152110
I think kid friendly stuff tends to have a lot of soul since people can't drench it with swearing and gore. I have no idea what today's kids are into but you can probably watch cartoons that are popular at the moment to get an idea
>>
>>7147360
thanks for the reminder , God will spare you
>>
File: C1.jpg (168 KB, 1000x1000)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
is this a good amount of outfit detail for a webtoon or should i simplify further?
>>
>>7152264
At first it looks like a scam, there's no point on using that instead of Kofi or Patreon. But, not everyone has a patreon account, and creating one takes some extra time that might deter people from giving you money.
It also takes some pressure off your shoulders because there's no expectation for extra content, which people take as a given on patreon (I don't know if the same applies to Kofi, I've never used it)

>0.49usd
Yeah, I wasn't expecting anything else from webtoon, korean corporations are straight up cyberpunk villain megacorps.

That being said, I think I will apply for it too.
>>
>>7152264
It's P2W. Webtoon put a daily ranking for "super likes" above staff picks and on the canvas page, give yourself 50$ worth on a burner and be instant promoted
>>
File: hoodlum (20240502073146).png (1.58 MB, 1128x2000)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
This is conceptual art for a comic about the life of a young hoodlum.
>>
>>7135569
Yes it's possible but it's extremely hard since early 2023 because the Webtoon suits demonetized canvas artists and most originals now are Korean imports.
A few canvas comics are just the censored version of their nsfw Patreon and they make cash off fujos so maybe try that.
>>
>>7152264
It's a scam.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.