[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: chicken_leg_bento.png (165 KB, 640x426)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
DJT is a language learning thread for those studying the Japanese language.
Japanese speakers learning English are welcome, too.

Read the guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
https://djtguide.github.io/

Archive of older threads: https://desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily%20Japanese%20Thread/

Translation requests, insults, politics, reddit posts, lust, learning method / eceleb discussions: >>>/jp/djt

Previous Thread: >>200122945
>>
Why doesn't /djt/ play some MMOs or online games together (in japanese)?
>>
>DJ-ACK
>>
>>200206070
Recommend one :)
>>
File: emoji.png (569 KB, 633x597)
569 KB
569 KB PNG
>>
>>200207018
我、くの伍長
我、くの伍長
>>
>>200207018
ToT cunny~
>>
>>200206070
Because the Japanese language attracts the mentally ill. Im literally autistic. But even i know half of the thread is schizophrenic and a large gathering of our ilk, would make a funny reality tv show, but not an enjoyable gaming experience for those involved.
>>
File: 1718238037764816.webm (322 KB, 1920x1080)
322 KB
322 KB WEBM
Sorry to ask a stupid question, but how do you guys say エアコンをつけっぱなしにすると電気代がかかる in English?
For your information, 電気代がかかる means you consumed a large amount of electricity or the electricity bills rised so you have to pay the electricity bill higher than usual or before.

All translations I could come up with are as follows, but I have no idea which one is a natural way of saying it.

>Leaving the air-conditioner on costs a lot in electricity.
>Leaving the air-conditioner on drives up your electricity bill.
>Leaving the air-conditioner on increases your electricity bill.
>>
>>200207018
way too tryhard for me
>>
>>200205620
otu
>>
>>200207775
I can give you a couple of sentences i'd use in that case.
"Leaving the aircon on costs too much" <-- i'd probably use this
"leaving the aircon on costs too much in electricity"
"leaving the aircon on uses too much electricity"
I wouldn't specify to the degree you did in Japanese. Saying something "costs too much" can mean lots of things and is the most natural way of saying it in this situation i feel. Just saying something "costs too much" means that it uses more of something than you'd like it too it its very common in spoken English. And if you omit the resource its meaning usually defaults to money.
Lets say you have a blacksmiths apprentice getting scolded by his master for using too much iron.
>"that smiting method costs too much iron!"
鉄を使えすぎるのでその鍛冶方法がダメ。
He could just be upset about the usage of iron specifically here and not about the money it costs.
>"that smiting method costs too much"
In this instance the nuance is it costs money, because he omitted the iron or other materials he's talking about the money the iron and other materials require to purchase.
この場合はその文が「お金を使いすぎるのでその鍛冶方法がダメ」になる。

Sorry if this explanation isn't very clear, its kind of hard to explain.
But in regards to the sentence you posted i'd just say "Leaving the aircon on costs too much".
if you still have questions let me know, ill answer to the best of my ability.
>>
File: 1657046746400.png (33 KB, 370x320)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>200208789
Thank you for your detailed explanation!
It helps a lot.

>Sorry if this explanation isn't very clear,
No need to apologize, it couldn't be clearer.
>>
File: 生きろ.jpg (100 KB, 800x600)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>DeadJT
>>
>>200207018
( ˋ o ´ )
日本人の顔文字
>>
やばいですね

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.