[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Foucault.jpg (104 KB, 600x860)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Most influential and impactful 20th century philosophers (whether you agree with them or not) 1. Foucault 2. Russell 3. Wittgenstein 4. Popper 5. Sartre 6. Rawls 7. Baudrillard 8. Rand 9. Hayek 10. Tie between Barthes/Kuhn/Carnap.
>>
>>23540616
THIS NIGGA HEAD LOOKIN LIKE A PEANUT M AND M NIGGA BE CRUNCHY WITH THE COCOA FILLIN YA FEELIN ME?
>>
>>23540616
1. Hitler
2. Himmler
3. Goring
4. Goebbels
5. Hess
6. Heydrich
7. Rosenberg
8. Dietrich
9. Bormann
10. Streicher
>>
>>23540616
>Heidegger not in top 5
Worthless list
>>
>>23540616
Half trash, half good
>>
>>23540676

>i dont like those people

that's not the point of the list
>>
>>23540616
Baudrillard is questionable, should rather be Heidegger. Also Strauss and Habermas should be on there somewhere, probably could take the place of Rand who really only had very niche influence.
>>
>>23540616

Noam Chomsky.
>>
>>23540616
It often seems like Rawls is the most influential-one out of this bunch. Like how his moralistic focus on human rights, democracy and equality are constantly reflected to every sphere of public life, almost regardless of political affiliation. (This might be a simplification of his viewpoint to some extent, since I haven't read him lol) Although Foucault is said to be the most cited person in academia, his work seems to be constantly misread through Rawlsian moralism. Moreover, the critical attitude towards society that people like Foucault had is not very widely shared at all among academics, journalists and such.
>>
>>23540616
Where are Wilhelm Reich, Julius Evola and Thomas Ligotti??????
>>
>>23540729
Correct, except Habermas if you're European.
>>
>>23540616
Do you mean philosophers from the 20th century or who had the most impact *on* the 20th century?
>>
>>23540783
Should be pretty obvious from the fact that there is literally only one person on OPs list that wasn't born in the 20th century.
>>
>>23540616
You are a retard.
>>
>>23540616
>5. Sartre
I know some people rate him as a novelist, but isn't the consensus that his philosophy is worth very little because it doesn't hold at all against Heidegger's and Merlou Ponty's criticism?
>>
>>23541645
This is not the consensus, but it is the astroturfed Heideggerian /lit/ "consensus."
>>
>>23541645
Hmm, Sartre claimed he was heavily influenced by Being and Time. To say they were in some sort of direct competition may not be entirely appropriate.
>>
>>23540616
>No Saul kripke, no Hilary Putnam
Opinion dismissed
>>
>>23540714
Not a philosopher.
>>
File: file.png (1.84 MB, 1079x1390)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
>>23540675
>>23538555
>>>23538555

Come fight me in the mud then !
>>
>>23540616
Influential on what? Academic philosophy? Intellectual life more generally? Art? Politics? The world?
>>
>>23540714
>What Foucault did with young children in Tunisia, and what I saw, leads me not to reject Foucault's work but to look at it in a different way." The journalist Karim Rissouli then paraphrased the statement: "Foucault, who you say was a pedophile..." "Yes, well, I provide details, they are perfectly abhorrent things with young children, the question of consent didn't even arise. They were not white, they were not French. [These are] things of extreme moral ugliness.

>The Wall Street Journal, in an exclusive published Sunday, said it had obtained Epstein's private calendar, which outlined numerous meetings with high-profile people, including Chomsky, the famed academic and political activist. When the Journal reached out to Chomsky for comment, the linguist had some choice words.
>"First response is that it is none of your business. Or anyone's. Second is that I knew him and we met occasionally," Chomsky, 94, told the Journal in an email.
>>
>>23540729
It's true that pretty much everyone is basically a Rawlsian, but that doesn't mean Rawls is the most influential. People would believe the exact same things if Rawls had never existed (same for Habermas). Even someone like Richard McKeon, who basically wrote the UN's declaration of human rights, made no real impact on the world. If he didn't do it, they would have gotten someone else to do the exact same thing.

People like Foucault (or Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Deleuze, Strauss, Schmidt, etc.) might have had at least some marginal impact on how some people think about the world.
>>
>>23540616
nosferatu lookin ass mf
>>
>>23540698
I don’t care, dilate
>>
>>23540757
Habermas is pretty lukewarm imo. Just watered down critical theory from my understanding. Plus he looks a bit funny, too.
>>
>>23542511
>It's true that pretty much everyone is basically a Rawlsian
According to whom?
>>
>>23542479
Chomsky said the same thing about Epstein too. Quite odd coincidence.
>>
>>23542511
Who would you say is the most influental then? Surely not the likes of Foucault and Deleuze? I mean, they're popular in academia but their philosophies aren't actually very relevant to mainstream discourse, since introducing their viewpoints might start to undermine the established narratives, which post-structuralists were very distrustful of. Perhaps that distrustfulness is the reason why their viewpoints seem to always get sanitized into sort of hipsterified versions of mainstream left-liberalism. Ones that are completely satisfied only making occasional insincere gestures toward more radical ideas.
>>
>>23543064
>Habermas is pretty lukewarm imo
So is Rawls. Part of the reason they're so influental; their lukewarm pseudoradicality offers a certain utopian sheen to a wide variety of ultimately banal bourgeois projects.
>>
>>23540654
yah im feelin ya
>>
>>23543069
The second quote was about Chomsky, you read too fast young man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2GlvAiWTEc
>>
File: foucault-hair.png (328 KB, 643x442)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>>23540616
No Heidegger or Deleuze but Baudrillard and mf Rand? I'd even put Camus over Rand.. Idk how you could possibly think she makes this list. Side note, Foucault made a great decision moving on from the balding pedo hair to taking on the supervillain look.
>>
>>23540736
>evola
>influential
>impactful

Look, I hate Popper, hut he deserves to be on this list, we are very much living his conception of the open society. Evola is an esoteric right wing philosophers, where the hell do you see that bleeding into society?
>>
>>23540616
the funny thing about foucault is he looks like an evil pedo, and he actually is an evil pedo haha
>>
>>23543130
You're right, he's not very influental come to think of it... unlike the two others I mentioned, Wilhelm Reich and Thomas Ligotti, whose not-at-all-cranky ideas have been quite widely adopted.
>>
>>23540616
>Most influential and impactful 20th century philosophers
based on what?
>>
>>23543126
Rand sucks. But she’s the favorite author of many a congressman and president. Objectivism is a rot that’s thoroughly infected many ruling classes, so to say she isn’t influential is stupid.
>>
>>23540616
Heidegger is their daddy
>>
>>23540616

Marshall McLuhan.
>>
>>23543359
he didn't influence anyone and he's only assigned in art school.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.