[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7888.jpg (23 KB, 631x486)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>hey I really like the Shakespeare plays I’ve read and seen, I should look up some nice movie adaptations
>oh my SCIENCE did you know that the hecking Lion King is based on Hamlet? Did you know 10 Things I Hate About You is The Taming Of The Shrew? Look, here’s a bunch of old movies from JAPAN with SAMURAI!!!
Fuck off with this shit. It’s not a Shakespeare adaptation unless it uses his script, it’s a derivative work at best.
>>
>>23543375
Throne of Blood IS the best film adaptation of Shakespeare. No other adaptation, even when using the original words, comes as close to express the inner spirit and drama of the work. But the best performance of the part I've ever heard is Paul Schofield's recording.
>>
>>23543594
>of Shakespeare
Meant to say of Macbeth. Naturally there are many greater adaptations of Shakespeare's other plays.
>>
ITT recommend great performances of Shakespeare plays. Anything goes, movies or BBC radio plays or just recorded performances.
>>
jean luc godard king lear is pretty good
>>
as a shakespeare adaptation it's w/e but ran is so much fun to watch. i love that shit
>>
>>23543621
For movies, Forbes-Robertson's Hamlet, Burton's Hamlet, Gielgud's Ages of Man, Zeffirelli's The Taming of the Shrew, Schofield's King Lear, Kozintsev's Hamlet and King Lear, the BBC series also has Anthony Quayle as Falstaff on film.

For recordings, practically anything by Gielgud, Schofield and Burton. They were the greatest actors of their era and had incomparable voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEQmfssMUNA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljZrf_0_CcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQ-R1ffAuo
>>
File: Spoiler Image (42 KB, 735x586)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>23543597
>Naturally there are many greater adaptations of Shakespeare's other plays.
Too True. RAN shits all over Lear's face and makes him watch pigs raping his daughters before he is blinded.

And of course 7 Samurai is vastly superior to Aeschylus' honestly pretty crappy 7 against Thebes.

Don't get me started on how Saul's writings are not fit to wipe the arse of Hideaki Anno.
>>
>>23543594
>>23543597
Unfortunately, Throne of Blood probably IS the best big-screen version of Macbeth. Every other version gets something wrong.

However, THE BEST filmed version of Macbeth is either of the two stagings done with Maurice Evans and Judith Anderson for American television in the late 50s / early 60s. Utterly INSPIRED stuff. Cannot recommend more highly. (Due to being 6 decade+ TV movies, they have not been well preserved and the picture and audio quality is quite bad. But the performances and flawless and the production is fitting. If you don't mind them looking like a worn VHS video then you simply cannot do better.)
>>
File: IMG_7900.jpg (31 KB, 481x638)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
What do anons here think of Chimes at Midnight? Created by Orson Welles, it takes all the Falstaff scenes and puts them into an order to create a drama centered around Falstaff and Prince Hal. It has narration taken from Holinshed’s Chronicles. It was originally a play, and was then made into a movie
>>
>>23543980
An AWFUL adaptation of Shakespeare, an AWFUL film, and AWFUL acting from Welles. It completely changes the context of EVERYTHING in the Falstaff plays, misinterprets the main characters, and changes the meaning of famous soliloquys for vulgar effect. Why use a soliloquy if its point is no longer present; just because it's famous? Well if you're just speaking Shakespeare's lines because they're famous, and not for any inner feeling of the words and drama, then you should stay away from them! Just write your own Falstaff script, or better yet, write your own character inspired by Falstaff.
>>
>>23543980
he's a big guy
>>
>>23543964
>THE BEST filmed version of Macbeth is either of the two stagings done with Maurice Evans and Judith Anderson for American television in the late 50s / early 60s.
Never heard of this one before, will check it out. I've been searching for a great Macbeth on film for so long. Thank you.

I still haven't found any good recordings of Othello, let alone films, I'm holding out hope Schofield's late recording is a good one.
>>
>>23544016
For you
>>
Bump for more Shakespeare recs.
>>
>>23547621
I like Kenneth Branaugh’s Hamlet and Julie Taylor’s Titus
>>
>>23547634
>>>/tv/catalog
>>
>>23543980
It's a good film, audio quality aside, though as a Shakespeare adaptation its debatable.
>>
>>23547727
>It's a good film
It's a very talented mess like all of Welles' movies after Citizen Kane.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.