[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 123.jpg (107 KB, 1371x583)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>Recommended reading charts. (Look here before asking for vague recs)
https://mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ/folder/4rAmSZxb
>Archive
https://warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg
>Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg

Previous Thread: >>23603489
>>
First for dungeon crawler carl
>>
File: 7235533.jpg (328 KB, 1400x2100)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
What am I in for?
>>
>>23615039
>>23615049
Both great books/series. Glad we started this thread off with some good taste before the Bakkerfags and Xianxia-autismos shit it up.
>>
File: 59661342.jpg (473 KB, 1707x2560)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
>arc 1 1st-half
>tense timeloop story, can't really go wrong with this genre
>2nd-half slow af, picked up at the end.
>arc 2
>full blown progression/training slop
>wasted 3-5 loops within one sentence.
I really wanted to love it, but Arc 2 is getting absolutely nowhere.
The lack of sense of urgency doesn't work with this genre at all.
>>
>>23615122
it's comfy, but the red guy should've played a much, much greater part in the story
>>
>>23615122
>timeloop story with progression/training
Reverend Insanity but lame and gay.
>>
>>23615086
I'd rather take the bakkerfag than xainxia vermin
>>
File: literally_me.jpg (715 KB, 1187x1638)
715 KB
715 KB JPG
40K is often described as low quality nerdslop. But what would be "thinking man's 40K"?
>>
What /sffg/ think of malice by john gwynne
>>
I'm going to read LOTR for the first time despite reading fantasy novels for decades. I don't really know why I haven't read LOTR sooner.
>>
>>23615270
I haven't read it either, planning to read it too in a while but other stuff always seem more interesting and gets pushed ahead for me. Would love to hear what someone who isn't colored by nostalgia and has read a bunch of other fantasy before reading it feels about it.
>>
>>23615270
Its boring shit, good luck
>>
File: literallyme.jpg (332 KB, 1098x1452)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
Any other main characters like literally me? Genuine question here.
>>
>>23615255
not good
>>
>>23615235
Maybe what I’m trying to write.
>>
>>23615049
You're in for young adult reading level genre slop. Basically a low budget shonen anime in book form.
>>
>>23615408
But we didn't talk about Cradle here.
>>
>>23615311
Read Portal Wars Saga. The first 3 or 4 books are ok.
>>
>>23615039
When is the next book out? I hate the patreon chapter release shit
>>
>>23615440
No idea, I'm guessing in a few months. He released the book cover a few days ago.
>>
>>23615235
>low quality nerdslop
Compared to what? Those modern SW books no one reads? The Star Trek novels no one cares about? All the low quality borderline YA trash that passes for sff? Don't get me wrong, 40K has a lot of terrible books, but let's not pretend they're uniquely terrible or any more slopy than everything else out there.
>>
>>23615049
genre defining book from a series that get better with each entry
>>
>>23615209
RIanon isn't nearly as autistic/narcissistic as Bakkerfag. At least RIanon posts sometimes and fucks off; and he doesn't take /every single/ negative post personally, feeling he has to respond. Still a faggot ritualposter though.
>>
File: poopywar.jpg (96 KB, 683x1024)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Is this good?
>>
>>23615122
timeloop is for terminally ill autists since every single relationship the MC builds is reset a thousand times
>>
>>23615122
it’s interesting how in the best timeloop stories i’ve read the MC is already an amoral, ruthless, knowledge-crazed bug person or rapidly develops into one.
>>
>>23615944
I've only read Babel from her and it was just 500 pages of white peepol bad, colonialism bad twitter-level wokeness hamfisted in as non-subtly as possible at every opportunity. Never reading another book from her.
>>
>>23615944
>graphic design is my passion ;^)
>>
>>23615944
of course not
>>
>>23616046
>>23616047
>>23616049
Are there any good chinese/asian fantasy books written by them? No webnovels or anime obviously
>>
>>23615944
I get this distinct impression it's considered good because it comes from a female author who happens to be Chinese.
>>
>>23616062
would (fuck not read her slop)
>>
>>23615440
very tentative release date is late october. patreon chapters are 3 chapters into part 4. the intro to part 4 is quite the spoiler. SOME of the Sluggalos are Sluggalos but not ALL of the Sluggalos are Sluggalos but Trap Master and ex-Owner of the Cookbook Justice Light caught it and has a plan of his own.
>>
"books like dark souls?" Virgins vs. "books like morrowind?" Chads
>>
File: 18952341.jpg (27 KB, 314x475)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>23616060
The Dandelion Dynasty series wasn't bad. I have no tolerance for chinkslop and I enjoyed it when I read it.
>>
>>23616480
and the answer to both is Bakker
>>
File: 9cd.png (17 KB, 578x712)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>low iq: ya slop
>midwit: the classics, 4chins top 100
>high iq: ya slop, webnovels, xianxia, loli
Pretty much every classic is just some disjointed high effort post were 1 or 2 characters are developed, despite having dozens or hundreds of characters. WOW you made some allusions and deep references, are they interesting? Do they speak to some truth in the world? Probably not, are they popular with midwits? You bet.
If you want dense reading that actually challenges you, go open a sci/math paper or textbook, and if you want the narration style to change every chapter (despite nominally having the same narrator for the whole book) then read some schizo shit off vixra
The best classic is lolita and people though the story another fable against obsession like moby-dick, or power dynamics like wuthering heights when really it was just a high brow smut novel.
pic rel is a allegory for how much value you have lost wasting your time reading classics when you could be enjoying easy to read novels that have something unique to say on the human condition and don't have to have mass appeal.
>>
>>23615285
NTA
I remember tapping out before they even got out of the fucking shire when I tried reading it as a kid
Maybe I'll just give up and watch the movies
>>
File: deadtreefags.png (2.98 MB, 10000x10000)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB PNG
>>23615270
>>
File: 1703314065489686.png (87 KB, 360x360)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>23616512
I've just finished book 2, don't think I'll continue at this point honestly. Sure is a lot of pages where the only real hook is the little science/engineering problem solving but it's breadcrumbs. Might as well read Dr. Stone. I'm still new to genre fantasy though, like it's very readable and not terrible, just kind of weak on the literary merits for what I'm used to. Some good characterization but Liu doesn't seem to do much with them and drama is pretty low. Governance of state and philosophy is more interesting, but again, can get that better elsewhere.
>>
The problem with lord of the rings is that it has 5 storylines and 3 of them suck, so while it's "le hecking epic" that they all merge at the end, you have to sit through painful shit. I guess you could just skip anything about merry and pipin, aragorn or rohan.
>>
This thread has turned into arbooks. You are a literal subhuman if you don't read classics.
>>
>>23616683
if it ain't the top 5 bestselling series of all time, it ain't worth reading
>>
>>23616702
That's literally the opposite of what I said.
I'll make it simple for you
If it's popular with retards: don't read.
If it's popular with intelligent people: read.
>>
>>23616705
'da classics' is what is bestselling, and the same thing that is ever discussed ITTs
>>
>>23616060
every single asian american female author is good. From Kuang to Zhao. All amazing authors that hate the patriarchy.
>>
>>23616711
No, It's very common that true classics weren't best sellers.
>>
Any Vaush recommended /sff/?
>>
>>23616060
The Sword of Kaigen was really good imo
>>
>hugos
absolutely lmao
https://glasgow2024.org/hugo-awards/statement-22-july-2024/
>>
File: warbreaker.jpg (84 KB, 611x1000)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
This was unironically better than Way of Kings and Words of Radiance
>>
>>23616717
godspeed convincing normalfag central to read anything not globally-approved
>>
>>23616762
Most classics are globally approved.
>>
>>23615049
10% kino, 90% forgettable slop
>>
>>23615049
Kaladin
>WAAAAAAH I'M SO DEPRESSED
>WHY CAN'T I SAVE EVERYBODY
>I NEED TO MAKE A PLAN
>WAAAAAAH MY PLAN DIDN'T WORK
Shallan
>OOOOH I GOOTA STEAL THE SOULCASTER
>BUT I HAVE COME TO RESPECT JANAH
>THE CONFLICT IN MY HEART
>I'D RATHER BE SKETCHING SNAILS
>Dalinar
>READ THE BOOK GOTTA READ THE BOOK
>GOTTA UNITE THEM
>RAAAAAH I'M GOING CRAAAAZY
>THE VISIONS!
>GOTTA BE HONORABLE!
There I just saved you from reading 1200 of slop
>>
>>23616744
??? Don't you only get a ballot if you work in publishing, journalism or are an author yourself? How would they not catch this as soon as Reorge G.R. Martin submitted his vote?
>>
>>23615049
It's another one of those sunk cost situations.
You read 1000 pages of mind-numbingly boring and mundane shit just so that you can have a cool pay-off in the last 100 pages.
>>
>>23615036
what if the slog of slogs was the true coffers all along?
>>
>>23616807
>Don't you only get a ballot if you work in publishing, journalism or are an author yourself?
It says you just have to be an attendee of the current or previous worldcon

To attend a worldcon you need to be a "member" and for this year's worldcon the registration fee:
>Anyone can become a member by simply purchasing a WSFS Membership for £45
>>
>>23616602
The whole trilogy is just an excuse for Tolkien to loredump at you. Which, to be fair, is not a problem unique to him.
>>
File: 1523454717461.jpg (416 KB, 1920x943)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
>>23615036
I really like fantasy art with a sort of "Renaissance/Baroque/Palladian" aesthetic to it.
>>
I don't take anybody who shittalks sanderson seriosly. Sure he doesn't write classics, but to pretend it (and most novels like legendary moon moonlight sculpture) is not at least a few tiers above slop like spy school, hunger games, percy jackson, fault in our stars, or isn't just intellectually dishonest, it's "internet marxist" brainrot
>>
>>23616602
>I guess you could just skip anything about merry and pipin, aragorn or rohan
Absolutely dogshit take and you should be ashamed of yourself
>>
>>23616978
Why?
>>
>>23616979
Pippin's arc is kino, Merry wounding the Witch-king is badass, Aragorn's story is awesome and if the Rohan stuff doesn't make you want to ride a horse into war you are dead inside.
>>
>>23616986
>>why
>it's kino, badass and awesome
NPC
>>
>>23616986
Why aren't you riding a horse to Ukraine then?
>>
>>23616975
Life's too short to read something merely
>a few tiers above slop like spy school, hunger games, percy jackson, fault in our stars
>>
>>23617015
Legendary moonlight sculptor clears LOTR. Yet LOTR still has industry shills to this day while LMS was canceled. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>23617022
True, but LOTR is a low bar if you consider modern (post lotr) fantasy
>>
>>23616975
>you can't talk shit about sanderson because there is worse stuff out there
fallacy of relative privation
>>
>>23617080
You are unable to read, my post clearly doesn't say that. Kill yourself.
>>
>>23617080
You also misunderstood the fallacy of relative privation. Just more evidence that you can't read and should kill yourself.
>>
File: My Sides.jpg (57 KB, 323x398)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>23617089
>>23617099
>seethes
>then has to look it up to see what it means
>seethes more
>>
>>23617103
Meds
>>
>>23617110
look, I'm not me either! kek
>>
>>23617006
Because I'm not dying for Israel

>>23616998
I'm gonna shit on your mother's face
>>
>>23617118
All me
>>
>>23615036
Where would one acquire picrel in a larger size?
>>
I don't see a xianxia rec chart in the op? This genre has been around for a decade why are you sleeping on this good shit?
>>
>>23617147
Isn't needed, just use novel updates. Nobody made any site like that for deadtree slop cause nobody cares.
>>
Is gay, rape & incest a real subgenre or am I being gaslit?
>>
What is up with the gamelit chart? How can you have pureslop like randidly on their but no ELLCs? PLEASE PEOPLE, THINK!
>>
>This Ascent to Divinity is Lewder Than Expected
PERFECT FIRST FEW CHAPTERS AND THEN YOU MADE IT A FUCKING HAREM WHYYYY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>scribblehub
>readinglist
>current chapter ( Deleted )
Why are webshits like this? Good thing I scrape everything I read
>>
>>23617187
The next gamelit chart has ELLCs in do not read tier, and since it has carl at top tier I think it's a meme chart meant to be read backwards, but I could be wrong.
>>
What do you use to listen to pirated audiobooks on pc?
>>
>>23617349
Carl is the only one worth reading from that cursed genre
>>
>>23617367
Are you serious or trolling? I couldn't make it more than half a chapter into carl, but read ELLC all the way past kiera arc
>>
>>23617022
Legendary Moonlight Sculptor was hot garbage.
I'm glad I dropped it early, now that I know it has been canceled.
>>
>>23616060
A Thousand Li is a good series but he can't keep his fucking mommy fetish to himself.
So many old women elder characters who girlboss around our MC who of couse is as sexual as a piece of wood.
>>
>>23617372
Past the kiera arc is pretty much the end isn't it?
Did you stop after shattering isles?
>>
>>23617404
Yep, my bookmark says Expanded normality 1.
>>
What was the royal road novel that was a void magician/(assassin?) litrpg and the end it turns out he was a literal chinese xianxia cultivator meditating in space
>>
>>23615944
I like to think I'm a lot more tolerant than the average poster on /sffg/ with regard to female authors, female protagonists, and feminist themes. I found this book nearly unreadable because of the edgy feminist cunt of a protagonist and extremely heavy-handed historical analogies.
>>
>>23615036
What flavor do you like your power fantasies /sffg/? I'm a fan of revenge stories myself, especially if the target of the revenge is made fully aware of why they are being targeted.
>>
>>23616046
She truly is a one-note author. All her stuff is railing against colonialism, railing against Japan, and railing against the patriarchy. Poppy War is especially bad because the main character hates her own femininity so much she sterilizes herself to no longer have periods so she can focus on her training to be a soldier.

Only for it to not matter at all because she has magic powers that are so powerful she can annihilate entire armies. She later genocides fantasy Japan for the crime of being Japanese and feels absolutely no remorse about it, nor does she reflect at all on having mutilated herself for no reason. She's a totally vacuous expression of feminist rage.
>>
>>23617171
You are a newfag and should lurk moar.
>>
>>23617147
Just dip your head in an overflowing septic tank, exact same experience as reading chinese web novel garbage.
>>
>>23617393
is there even such thing as a platonic mommy fetish?
>>
>>23615901
Bakkerfag nearly killed this general with his faggot spam and constant thread derailing. Only when he started (finally) copping bans did he somewhat chill out, but he is too autistic to learn his lesson and keeps shitting up the place.
>>
I read the first Spellmonger book a while ago because somebody here recommended it to me. I'm almost out of new books to read, and was thinking of continuing this series. Is it worth it? Anybody read it?
>>
>>23617404
NTA, but i read ELLC start to finish and it was kino
>>
>>23617585
he single handedly ensure i'll never read bakker
>>
Finished Ringworld Throne a few weeks ago, and despite enjoying it less than Ringworld I’ve decided to stick it out and read Children
However, I started thumbing through the glossary in the front and there are a lot of unfamiliar characters and terms. Are they going to be introduced or do I need to read some of the Known Space books to understand Children?
>>
>>23617607
I never would have heard of Bakker if not for him because he's an irrelevant nobody. You can't even find him on the shelf of most book retailers, not even the used bookstores I frequent carry anything by him and they have tons of obscure novels, literally shelves of decades-old mass market paperbacks with yellowed pages by authors you've never heard of. Not a single Bakker book in any of them.

But yeah, put it right on my "do not read" list.
>>
>>23617607
lol same
>>23617634
he was kind of popular when the first trilogy came out but when it was clear that the series would never be finished his fans slowly died off and went to other series (mainly sanderlad and redditcrombie) and stopped talking about them
Many such cases!
>>
>>23616723
not chinese tho, she was born on america and doesn't even speak chinese. fat retards who fantranslate manhua are more chinese than her
>>
File: 1557214052559.webm (1.28 MB, 720x900)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB WEBM
>>23617607
>>23617634
Unlucky lads, it's definitely one of the top five best fantasy series ever written.
>>
fitzchivalry is wearing on me long before the end of book 2.
>>
>>23617765
probably my favorite book series of all time but if you're not a fan of introspection you probably won't like it much
fitz suffers
>>
>started reading the Mistborn books before I start the Stormlight Archive
>all the books are super fun
>think I'd miss the OG crew
>the new one is pretty good in their own right
>the new powers are a fun addition
>try and read Stormlight
>"muh bridge, muh orb"
I'm only on chapter nine but holy shit. Mistborn's onboarding was so much better.
>>
Should've listened to Anon... Helliconia is very boring so far.
>>
>>23617147
Read a single xianxia and it's like you've read them all
chink novels are a new level of derivative
>>
>>23617863
You just sound old and jaded. Or are you confusing the next "volume" (i.e. batch of 150 chapters in a series as a different "chink novel"
>>
>>23617863
Cultural Familiarity: Readers in the East are often more familiar with the cultural and historical context of xianxia novels. They might appreciate the nuances and variations within the genre more deeply, even if certain elements are repeated.

Popularity of the Genre: Xianxia is a hugely popular genre in China, and its tropes and themes are widely accepted and enjoyed. While some readers may find certain novels derivative, others appreciate the comfort and familiarity of well-trodden paths.

Community and Fandom: There is a large and active community around xianxia novels in the East. Fans often discuss and debate the merits of different works, which can lead to a deeper appreciation of subtle differences and innovations that might be overlooked by casual readers.
>>
>>23617904
I read a ton of them in high school. Think the first one was Coiling Dragon. Then every single other wuxia/xianxia I tried was the same exact story beats with the same poorly thought out power system and poorly written(or translated) action scenes
>>
>>23617915
thank you chatgpt
>>
>>23617919
Counterpoint: Coiling Dragon is nothing like Reverend Insanity or A Thousand Li. Although once you read it, Cradle feels like a CD fanfic.
>>
>>23617919
But coiling dragon is nothing like most xianxia, it's usually considered xuahuan. If you said ISSTH, ATG, DE, MGA etc I would see were you are coming from, but still disagree.
There was one wuxia I forgot the name of but it's about a rag tag group of disciples who either become the leader of their sect or make their own sect and the power level is around spirit cultivation (I don't think anyone can fly) That was very different from most wuxia.
>>
>>23617921
Not an argument. The very fact that people think CD is the similar to xianxia or that it's the same as all xianxia is proof enough that westards can't read.
>>
>>23617923
I've never read either of them so I can only concede and assume you're right
Really haven't bothered trying to read anything chinese in around 10 years so that's on me

>>23617927
Both ISSTH and ATG I dropped pretty early, unsure about the other acronyms you listed
Tales of demons and gods is another one I remember dropping fairly early
>>
Coiling dragon has fucking dragons and knights and kings and sheeit for christs sake how is that like your average xianxia, most of the groups don't even act like cultivators (muh face) until maybe the very very end baddie
>>
>>23617946
It's also not even 2000-5k chapters long, truly some westard shit
>>
File: frog point fact.jpg (16 KB, 220x221)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>23617946
Coiling Dragon is just xianxia but the body cultivators are called knights and the spirit cultivators mages and the main character is OMG SO AMAZING FOR DOING BOTH and then once you reach godhood it's the same contemplating the dao shit for everyone so there's not even any point
>>
>>23617946
He learns the wingping arts of heaven and forms a notgoldencore then becomes god emperor of his tiny plane of existence which turns out to be the smallest and weakest plane ever
then he goes from big fish in small pond to small fish in big pond
or something, idk been a while
I've read quite a few that were basically carbon copies I just plain do not remember the name of
it's all the same to me, gave up on chinese novels forever ago
>>
One thing I hate about coiling dragon (and Desolate Era that I just started reading) is how much the main character is amazing and everyone wanks over him. Way of Choices is almost refreshing for how much everyone treats the MC like a generic mob NPC they don't give a fuck about (until he becomes famous) and his main ability that lets him triumph over stronger foes is his near-supernatural resignation to death.
>>
>>23617964
A story loop that takes up 1-2 chapters max each loop is not enough to call every xianxia a carbon copy.
It's like saying every detective novel is a carbon copy as they always, look for clues, talk to people, repeat, find the bad guy, repeat
>>
>>23617976
I 100% would call detective novels formulaic
>>
>>23617978
That's fair, all novels follow some formula. Good authors just obscure it or recontextualize it in an interesting way. You are never going to see that if you write off all novels that someone labels xianxia or detective.
Read loli xianxia+litrpg fusion
>>
>>23617984
>loli xianxia+litrpg fusion
name it, I'll give it a try
>>
>>23617976
If you wrote off every wunza movie you would never watch tommy boy, Beverly Hills cop etc.
>>
>>23617985
I'm sorry It doesn't exist.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28601/arrogant-young-master-template-a-variation-4
Is close, but he stopped updating it.
I need to just mass download all the dead tree books and have llama tell me which ones are loli xianxia+litrpg fusion
>>
>>23617997
It's also like every webnovel were it utterly goes off the rails 20-30 chapters before he stops updating
>>
>>23617997
Well give me whatever recommendation then, taking a break from what I'm currently reading
>>
Should I read Wandering Inn?
>>
>>23617607
>>23617634
>>23617677
>>23617736
the reason I'm not reading Bakker is because I don't read books with GAY SEX in them, and it appears that GAY SEX seems to be the principal literary conceit of his work

this is also the reason I'm not reading that Christopher Ruocchio guy either, so don't try to shill that thing here again freak, there's nothing "Christian xianxia" about homos
>>
Coiling Dragon Insert Song (NEW!)
[Verse 1]
Zěnme néng kū ne yīqiè huì hǎo dā
Yīqiè dōu qù ba nǐ jiù dé xiǎngzhe
Jìrán méi bànfǎ hái hèn tā gàn ma
Hái guǎn tā gàn ma xīnlǐ yào jìdé

[Chorus]
Nǐ gga nèi nigga nèi nèi nigga nigga nèi nèi
Nèi nigga nèi nèi nigga nigga nèi nèi
Yángguāng cǎihóng xiǎo báimǎ
NI NI GGA NI NI GGA
Wǒ shì nèi nigga nèi nèi nigga nigga nèi nèi
Nèi nigga nèi nèi nigga nigga nèi nèi
Yángguāng cǎihóng xiǎo NIGGA
Ni ni-gga ni ni--gga
[Build]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG4iTGjuoKw
>>
>>23609061
>>23609173
>>23609694
I finished it now and it was a great read, really enjoyed it. Has anyone checked out any of his other books, are they worth it? As I understood it his other two finished trilogies are more epic fantasy and not fantasy murder mystery like this one was. And are there any other good fantasy murder mystery/detective books?

>>23609964
The male one, though he's bi and not gay.
>>
File: 1596673230628.jpg (134 KB, 720x584)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>23618037
>Bakkerfag has a hissy fit every time someone recs a book with women characters
>The only series he talks about has several GAY SEX scenes in every book
Hhhmmm, this boy is down right peculiar i would say...
>>
File: 1541812895087.jpg (89 KB, 627x567)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>23618045
this image is very funny, thank you president trump
>>
>>23618037
Very little gay sex, mostly gay rape.
>>
File: Daring Synthesis.png (91 KB, 1735x865)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
I've been reading the Worm fanfic 'A Daring Synthesis' on spacebattles and really enjoying it, so thought I would recommend it here. If you have read Worm and enjoy 4chan style humor it is pretty good for a fanfic
>>
>read fantasy
>hundreds of fucking proper nouns everywhere
>random ass slang that means nothing to me
>races, random ass languages, and other complete nonsense I don't give a shit about
>magic spells everywhere
>nothing to even hint at obviousness to help the reader
>I don't know what a Arusthethics race is, but I can at least infer what a Ju'rat are.
I'm clearly a brainlet. How does one remember everything?
>>
>>23618132
you might be a brainlet
you also might be reading shit
>>
>Read Canticle for Leibowitz
>Half way through
>Google "Books like Canticle for Leibowitz"
>"...Well there aren't really any, there's this one but it sucks. There's the sequel made 40 years later but it sucks and wasn't finished. There's Dune I guess? Here are these fantasy books maybe..."

How has no one done "Religion Scifi" in 65 years after one of the goat sci-fi books?
There are scifi books with religion in them. But not really anything about monks being monks and trying not to let the world become retarded on purpose while also being not some fantasy religion, but Catholic.
I always find the bits of scifi books where they mention the old religions that survived or something, or technically this religion might not be wrong yet because...
>>
>>23618156
A Talent For War has really weird bookends about some Catholic priest/monk.
>>
>>23617607
He actually got me interested in reading the first book which in turn made me interesting in reading about the Crusades. I don't care to read anything after volume 1 though.
>>
>>23618034
no cunny 0/10, Fraerlings are too small (6 inches) and are just played as shrunken adults.
There is next to no story or plot, it's all autistic furry world building. There is an almost systematic exclusion of (human) cute female children from the story, and no real child characters (youngest is 16, terasa) to speak of. Strange, at the very least ageist and possibly pedophobic. Alot of comparing children to goblins and vice versa.
From the very first chapter: "But this was a different kind of fear that held her heart. It was the fear of children, the fear of the dark and the unknown."
"arrogant as a queen despite the fact that
she’s naked and tiny"
>>23618051
See my last review for tainted cup (0/10 no cunny)
>>
File: 45309582.jpg (426 KB, 1697x2560)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
I read the second book to Foundryside, titled "Shorefall". Because I hate myself, I guess.
This book is marginally better than ther first one, only for the fact that there's less whining about slavery and virtue signaling. There's still *some*, just less of it. Instead, there's more edginess, and to the book's merit, some pretty nice pay offs.

I don't know how this is supposed to be a trilogy, because the second book immediately start addressing the biggest and most threatening conflict that the first book hinted at. This I actually like. No pussyfooting around, trying to stretch the narrative by hanging a big conflict over book 2 that will never be addressed until book 3. No, they get right into the most pressing conflict, and then by the end of the book, some pretty huge shit happens. And it made me think, when was the last time I got such a massive payoff to a plot before? It's been a long time.

The downside is that the plot is carried mainly by the girl from the first book who is completely flat. Her whole shtick is being a theif, who is kind of difficult to talk to, because all she says is "yeah". The "yeah" shtick is terrible, because there's nothing to fill the void where interesting dialogue should be. When she's not saying "yeah", she has very little to say, except little irreverent quips, or curses of shock. But not only that she's not acting as a thief anymore this book. Her main thing is gone. Everyone else is better at doing everything else. She only acts as a vessel for the plot devices to be held.

The only other character who could have been interesting, gets turned into a zombie. His personality stripped away. So he too has very little to say. He's only there to do the fighting.

With such weak characters, I can't really feel the impact of major plot points. Some of the stuff that happens is really cool in concept. But it's just not impactful. I would still recommend against reading this series. It does not get significantly better.
>>
>>23618210
thanks for using a trip so you're easily filtered
>>
>>23617363
VLC. It can handle chapters and all that jazz. I changed the UI a little to implement 10 second step buttons.
>>
>>23618217
Any cunny?
>>
I only like Female MCs in my fantasy stories. Nobody wants to read the Hero's Journey and the Chosen Kid the 93820 time.

Give me a girly girl that goes around shopping, cast magical spells, and saves the world by refusing sex to the Dark Lord. Of course only her pussy can change the Dark Lord's heart because she's not like the other girls.
>>
>>23618250
Oh and I forgot, she's also 7
>>
>>23615235
Black Company kinda comes close. In some ways, the rapey parts of Bakker's first three books do, too...
>>23616062
It's worse. It's a chinkoid whose entire existence is centred around balancing the opposing forces of wanting pissing on great authors because they're white, but also being used like fuckmeat by whites. Jemisin is more palatable.
>>23616758
It was. Brandon's writing has become as bloated as his waistline.
>>23616803
Yeah just read these and then read Adolin and Dalinar's chapters. Sanderson really wants to write a wide variety of characters but stoic men are the only thing that is truly his forte.
>>23617563
This.
>>
>tfw pre-webnovel wuxia is actually pretty good, even if translated by esl chink
>>
>>23618250
Not sure if serious or sarcastic.
>>
Did Erikson invent any well-known fantasy tropes? Were any elements of his writing copied by other authors?
>>
>>23615235
The Strugatsky books where they're almost always recovering a planet where humanity fucked up bad and slid downhill feels like a more humanist version of the Great Crusade.
>>
>>23618114
>"Nigger!" she jeered. "Nigger, nigger, nigger!"
I'm gonna read it
>>
>>23617975
I tried reading Desolate Era but couldn't get past the 12 months old mc reading all the books in the library, studying all the techniques, advancing realms after looking at the moon at night etc. The dialogue and characters also felt extremely fake and unbelievable. I don't really understand why this novel is so popular.
>>
>>23618701
>I tried reading Desolate Era
read Martial World
>>
>>23615049
Extreme boredom, from my experience.
>>
>>23618223
Does it remember where you last left off? I'm using potplayer and have to write down the timestamp every time
>>
>>23616975
I think it's more that people aren't really capable of writing good scifi/fantasy anymore. Every Sanderson book appears to be a first draft grind and young adult. Compare his work to, I dunno, William Gibson. Gibson writes books for adults. They're not always good, but you never feel insulted. Sanderson writes 1200-page slop piles that, in his head, I'm sure is a sprawling epic, but it reads exactly like Hunger Games or Percy Jackson. And then the question becomes, "Do I really feel like putting up with this for 1200 pages?" Because for me, the answer is more often than not, no. His characters feel formulaic to the point it's like he chose an archetype from a "How to write a book" book and did exactly everything on that checklist.

If Malazan was coherent, it'd probably be the best modern fantasy series. But because it's not, GRRM is unironically the current best author in that field. Like him or hate him, the fat man is good at dialogue, characters, worldbuilding, and prose.
>>
>>23618796
Gibson is an 80 year old englishman. Of course he writes in a stuffier way than a 50 year old American. Your delusional if you think that means he is saying anything deeper
>grrm is the best
Oh, you're just a troll
>>
>>23618796
>Malazan
>probably be the best modern fantasy series
Coherency is the least of it's problems. It has the prose of a high school student.
>>
>>23618822
LMAO. Ironically it's only highschool students who read purple prose deadtrees.
>>
>>23618818
>>23618822
I want to remind you both that you're shilling for a fat guy who gave lectures wearing a Super Mario Brothers 3 t-shirt, and pretending he's high literature.
>>
>>23618826
Not true, drugged out, commies, /lit/anons and camgirls also "like" reading purple prose, especially in /sff/. brown lesbian astronaut yap
>>
>>23618826
>the only bad type of prose is purple
>malazan has purple prose anyway
>>
TLMS CLEARS ALL
>>
>>23618818
>Gibson is an 80 year old englishman.
He's from Southern America.
>>
>>23618848
Your point?
>>
>>23618854
That you're not right, you're not even wrong.
>>
>>23618761
I have. Martial World was comfy.
>>
>>23618860
I accept your concession.
>>
>>23618862
I could only get to chapter 1347 around ~2017
for true martial world I know I read >1000 chapters and after martial world, but in my bookmarks I just have ? ? for the year and date.
It was pretty good but for one of them the author had a bad case of forgetting what he just wrote a few hundred chapters ago
>girl is vegetarian
>monster bbq with girl
>>
>>23618864
What was conceded?
>>
>>23615049
Shitspren and fartspren
>>
Does sanderson write any cunnylit?
>>
>try to look for wheel of time ebooks in my language on libgen
>can only find them in .pdf files which are ass to use on ereaders except for the 3 last ones that Sanderson wrote
man, reading all those detailed descriptions is going to be such a pain in the in english, but I am not fucking paying $10 each for a bunch of pixels
>>
Wanna read another book like Hyperion, or Illium/Olympos that makes me feel "smart" with all the references
>>
>>23618894
mobilism
>>
>>23615036
I kind of want to write a narrated backstory of a world, are there any good sources to get inspired by like The Hyborian Age from Conan?

I thought A World of Ice and Fire by GRRM might be good but I find it kind of a pain in the ass to read.
>>
First for Xianxia!
>>
>>23618874
>true martial world
I read about 20 chapters and dropped it. It was nothing like Martial World.
>>
>>23619059
>I read the first 3 words and dropped it
This is what you sound like
>>
>>23619066
I didn't like the premise and I didn't like the writing/translation. Why should I read something I don't like?
>>
>>23619074
it gets good after a hundred chapters
>>
>>23619074
It gets good after a thousand chapters
>>
>>23618796
As for me, I can't afford to get into 1200 page slop fests when I haven't read any of the classics.
I might have read 2 hugo winners so far. That's not a metric for a classic but I feel like if you're into the genre, you should at least read the big award book to see where the state of things are.

And why read 1200 page slops when you can read the Robin Buss translation Count of Monte Cristo again and be in for a good time?
>>
>>23619085
>can't afford to get into 1200 page
You mean chapter? Lmao, you don't read.
>>
>>23619088
It's seems you don't read anon. That anon wasn't speaking of chinese slop, he was talking about Sanderson.
>>
>>23619100
It seems you don't read, because that's what "Lmao, you don't read" refers to
>>
Why is the word "slave" censored on novelupdates? I'm I having a stroke?
>>
>>23619105
Yes, not everyone enjoys derivative mtl drivel. Good for you that your reading level allows such joys.
>>
>>23619112
>>
>>23619113
>derivative mtl drivel
>when I could read the Robin Bussy translation (of) Count of Monte Cristo again
Take your meds
>>
File: 1624571247056.jpg (38 KB, 500x500)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>23619116
>pe*verted
>>
>>23619129
Kek! I didn't see that
>>
>>23619116
>Bestiality is fine, just don't be a pe*vert about it.
Chink morals
>>
>>23619088
>>23619105
This may shock the average Xianxia fag, but this is the sff general. Your kind have been a cancer for years, but to no ones surprise, there aren't enough of you to start your own thread. By all means have your little discussions, but please keep yourself from bleeding into the actual thread topic. No one want to hear delusional autists arguing chink slop is better than Science Fiction or Fantasy slop.
>>
File: img-2024-07-23-17-45-40.png (1.65 MB, 800x1622)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
>>23619150
>chink fantasy isn't fantasy because I don't like it
you should read lord of the mysteries
>>
Extreme newfag that just finished reading Lord of the Rings, what I do now?
>>
>>23619157
NTA, but how does the English translation of Lord of Mysteries read? Where would you rate it, compared to other things you have read?
>>
>>23619165
>>
>>23618944
Maybe The Silmarillion, but it's kind of like reading the Bible.
>>
>>23619165
Did you like it? What parts did you like and dislike?
>>
>>23618156
most fantasy/scifi authors are one of the following:
>fedora-tipping atheists
>Jews
>American evangelicals who think putting Christianity into a work of fiction is a type of blasphemy
none of which is conducive to enjoyable, let alone popular, religious literature
you might enjoy Clifford D. Simak, Poul Anderson, or Stephen Lawhead, who often put Christianity outright or at least something very allegorically suggestive of Christian religion into their works
>>
Recommend a fantasy series with a female mc that has light /coom/
>>
>>23619129
It means it's the Pevear translation.
You might not understand the reasoning for the shorthand of "pe*verted" but it's an industry standard and quite interesting on how it got that way.
>>
>>23619165
Pace the house for the rest of the day like any time you finish a book or an RPG until sleep resets your brain.
>>
>>23619229
Tanith Lee's Birthgrave (the godlike alien-that-looks-just-like-a-human female MC has sex with her own son)
>>
>>23619165
How should I know? Tell us what you want to read.
>>
>>23615036
Lotr audiobooks:
Bob Inglis - great voice, for most characters at least.
Phil Dragash - not as great, but fairly decent + has added music and other sound effects.
>>
The deeper I go into WoT the more baffling the amazon show becomes.
They really fucked that one up huh.
>>
>>23619085
>Hugo
That's how I got into my SFF phase. Just ignore any winners in like the past decade.
>>
>>23618210
There's Nanette but I guess you didn't get that far
>>
>>23618822
>Malazan
>high school prose
comically delusional DNF tard from a GRRM fanboy, in a comment chain about Sanderson no less lmao.
>>
>>23619165
How did you like it? What did you like about it? Need to know your take on it before making recommendations.
>>
>>23619150
Xanxia is based. The leftist progressive slop that you like is garbage.
>>
>>23619414
The original chain of replies concerned the topic of how leftist progressive slop is just that, slop.
Then some anon cut in, saying that chinese chapters folded over 2000 times are superior to the 1000 page bricks Sanderson writes, obviously trolling the other anon by calling him illiterate for deciding against reading 1200 page slop, when he could be reading 1200 chapter slop instead.
I may not agree with that anon you replied to, but the comment was unprompted and only served to draw negative attention to Xanxia
>>
File: 1714940059244753.jpg (276 KB, 742x985)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>23619379
wdym, don't all the 16 year olds you know write like this?
>>
>>23619414
Impressive.

With this most recent achievement, fate has, in a single stroke, marked the decline of the west and spelled a new era of wondrous prosperity and peaceful global dominance for the Chinese dragon, which promises to firmly stand in sharp contrast to the historically bloody ascent of western powers and the cruel subjugation it brought to the humbler nations of the world. The blessings of Chinese plasma stealth technology, undetectable hypersonic combat vehicles, quantum direct-current electricity, neutrino submarine detectors, gamma titanium mono crystal turbines, quantum aircraft carriers, unmanned autonomous A.I. tanks, near-space ballistic air-to-air missiles, super light tanks, +2km range airburst rifles, quantum enhanced railguns, 5G Remote Surgery, magnetized plasma cannons, and quantum superalloy drones will be the instruments with which China affirms its noble stewardship of 21st century world politics and offers the non-western world a different option; an humanist alternative to the depredations of Western leadership and the opportunity for a more equitable and dignified multilateralism.
>>
>>23619487
If all 16 year olds went through an edgy Romantic/Victorian poet phase, then modern literature would be a better place. Still shit, but leagues better than what we're dealing with now.
>>
>>23619112
>>23619116
The worst part is they censor it as s*ave instead of sl*ve
>>
>>23619487
Is that meant to be impressive? It reads overwrought and belabored to me.
>>
>>23619157
Oh I've read this one
nta anon but I dropped it when he entered his demigod phase or whatever it was called. Around chapter 1050 or so, fairly close to the end now that I look at the total chapter count.
Was a surprisingly fun/unique read until that point. I especially enjoyed the Tarot Club and their interactions. Although, as a whole it was still marred by the usual power levels. Chinks absolutely cannot help themselves but insert power levels.
You can't just have characters with powers, they've got to be clearly defined as level 3 or Sun Emperor Moon God (Stage 69) ((Pre-Golden Core))
How else are your readers going to understand?
Despite that I remember liking the action scenes, which is more than I can say for other chiawanese novels I've tried.

>>23619167
I remember it being good, but it's also possible I just have a high tolerance for mediocre translations. It's freely available on a bunch of sites. I believe I read it on WuxiaClick, but you might want to have a decent ad blocker.
>>
>>23619600
Thank you, will give it a try.

If it can capture interest for a thousand chapters, then it is worth giving it the courtesy of an attempt.
>>
>>23619291
>>
File: IMG_9289.jpg (666 KB, 1125x1105)
666 KB
666 KB JPG
The actual romance parts between yen and Geralt are so so so so fucking cringey. It’s insufferable.
>>
>>23619490
You may not like it but China dominates fantasy literature.
>>
>>23619532
>Is that meant to be impressive?
only sufficient to make my point, it's a random page

you say overwrought/purple I say evocative and literary characterization, you say belabored I say dense and rewarding
>>
>>23619165
read the Sword of Shannara
>>
r/bookscirclejerk is the best subreddit
>>
>>23619778
>not r/fantasy
Why does leddit actually have active dedicated fantasy subs while 4ch*n has a single containment thread on a board full of pseudfags?
>>
>>23619753
I couldn't make it through the first book
Witcher 1 and 3 were good fun. Only reason I gave the books a chance.
>>
File: DaSy.png (71 KB, 1510x630)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>23618602
it's not that bad
>>
>>23619318
Yeah....I started watching it before reading the books and hated it. Now that I'm half way through the books I think it's a its one of shittiest shows ever made, how someone was allowed to film that travesty is beyond me
>>
>>23619753
Sapowski is a virgin or at least was when he was writing
>>
>>23619778
scleroderma is my favourite autoimmune disorder
>>
>>23619793
You have to have a high tolerance for camp and this weird James Bond octopussy shit in chapters where he decides to write with one hand.
>>
>>23619805
That explains a lot actually.
>>
>>23619799
The show is already beyond repair but I am kinda interested in what kind of bullshit the writers are willing to pull off to keep the story going.
My favorite was when Mat solved the problem with the shadar logoth dagger by tying it to a stick with a rag and accidentally making the ashandarei. Absolutely stunning writing.
>>
>>23619845
>Mat solved the problem with the shadar logoth dagger by tying it to a stick with a rag and accidentally making the ashandarei
please be real
>>
File: IMG_9336.jpg (538 KB, 1125x1345)
538 KB
538 KB JPG
>>23619848
It’s always worse than you can imagine.
>>
>>23619845
>Mat solved the problem with the shadar logoth dagger by tying it to a stick with a rag and accidentally making the ashandarei
Im glad i dropped this shit back in season 1. That faggot rafe should be booted from the show and be blacklisted from the entertainment industry. How many times do these retards need to be proven that they do not in fact know better than the writer?
>>
File: 86473456.png (413 KB, 713x400)
413 KB
413 KB PNG
>>23619848
Oh it is real alright.
>>
>>23615049
I usually like genreslop but I couldn't stomach this one. If it had been 400-500 pages I could've powered through it but I'm not wasting my time on 1200 pages of something I'm not enjoying.
>>
>>23619778
r/books is one of my favorite ways to get mad over harmless bullshit that won't affect me. The sheer number of posts that are basically "So I DNF (Did Not Finish) These Books, Anyone Else DNF Novel?" or "When do you read?" or "How do you read?"

Just basic questions that read like an AI grasping for humanity.
>>
>>23619880
I get real salty when people start recommending audiobooks instead of reading. I just dont get it and it makes me mad
>>
>>23619863
I don't know why show writers feel the need to change so much about source materials. Is it just stupid ambition?
Like come on man, you have the fucking script written for you already. It's not like you have to invent anything other than the means of converting writing to moving images. They even had Sanderson on a 24/7 hotline and they still ended up with this shit.
>>
>>23619897
I wouldn’t be able to find it, but I’ve seen a director explain this satisfactorily once. Basically from an artistic standpoint a straight adaptation seems completely pointless to them since people already have imaginations, that story already exists and they would just be aping a sad impression of the comparatively divine spectacle of whatever’s going on in your head when you read the book.
So the point of a movie inspired by a book to him is more like “I like parts of this story and want to show a different version of it that wouldn’t work as a book”
>>
>>23619772
>literary characterization
I don't know what that means, but it's clunkier than any literature I've personally read.
>>
>>23619921
And did this man actually create anything good in practice? A "sad impression" would be orders of magnitude better than what the tards at Amazon made and called Wheel of Time.
>>
>>23619921
The audience that has read the source material is completely dwarfed in comparison to newfriends that will be exposed to the product in 99% of cases. At that point wouldn't it be better to just do an accurate adaptation? Like yeah 1 or 2% of people will be ahead of the story but who cares about such a tiny margin?
I don't think I'll ever get it. Surely they don't think that they can do better than the actual writer.
>>
File: 3858406.jpg (105 KB, 600x800)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>
File: hollywood job changes.jpg (195 KB, 1292x814)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>23619974
they're now all women and men who behave like women, they DO think they're better than the writer of the source material
>>
>>23615277
I read LotR later in life; its weighter and more "literary" than a lot of fantasy books but that's one of the reasons I loved it.
>>
>>23619863
Didn't the lead producer say his favorite character from the books was Egwene or something?
It was bound to be a disaster with someone like that in charge.
>>
>>23620043
Given that the egwene is the star of the tv show and she can do pretty much anything, id believe it
>>
>>23619845
No fucking way lmao how do fantasy booktubers cope with this considering they were doing damage control for the train wreck that was the first season?
>>
>>23620043
Yeah, I gave up hope when I saw that.
>>
>>23620184
It was really funny to see the watch along of this episode with sanderson, even he was like:
>listen, I'm so sorry I tried to stop them
>>
>>23618034
It's comfy
>>
>>23619863
Even better, as a reward for a god awful flop of a first season, Amazon is letting the WoT showrunner also lead the God of War show. He must suck cock like a fucking champ.
>>
>>23618037
>the reason I'm not reading Bakker is because I don't read books with GAY SEX in them, and it appears that GAY SEX seems to be the principal literary conceit of his work
Just finished the whole thing, there was only a single paragraph scene and it was rape.
Not exactly endorsing GAY SEX
>>
>>23618210
Take your pedoshit back to /pol/ where it belongs
>>
File: 1539623826565.png (280 KB, 1024x768)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
>>23620236
>reading about poopdick is fine as long as it's rape
No!
>>
>>23620184
That's not even the funny part.
>Mat makes it to Ishmael and Rand, throws his bootleg ashandarei at a mirage of Ishamael and stabs Rand with the dagger
>Egwene frees herself from the Seanchan and stands up to fucking Ishmael who just... keeps throwing fireballs at her for 5 minutes
>then Perrin arrives and helps her channel(how?) so she's able to hold up a shield until Rand grows his balls back and stabs him with the heron blade
You wanted that DBZ anime fight in the sky with Rand and Ishamael? Too fucking bad, here's some Egwene.

They've changed so much stuff over the course of those 2 seasons that I am actually on the edge of my seat waiting for what else are they going to change for the worse to keep the series going, they obviously make this shit up on the spot and it's gonna bite them in the ass eventually.
>>
Wait reviewanon was a lolicon all this time? Based AF
>>
Is Nicholas Eames ever going to write the third book for Kings of the Wyld? This twat has been sitting twitter talking about garbage for YEARS and hasn't ever given an update on his writing. What the fuck?
>>
>>23620219
>its real
Holy shit, fucking how? Must be nice having unlimited money, never caring how much you fuck up since it doesnt affect you in any way
>>
>>23619897
Because they don't like the source material and don't like the original audience. They want to "update" to series to make it more suitable for themselves and an audience they do like, who are not people who like the series.
>>
>>23619318
They literally did not even try to adapt the books. It's a completely different story from the first 10 minutes of episode 1, season 1. None of the characters are the same, none of the events are the same, the basic underlying magic principles of the setting are totally different. It's like somebody grafted the names from the books onto an original screenplay.
>>
>>23619974
>Surely they don't think that they can do better than the actual writer.
They do. Listen to them talk in interviews they talk about updating stuff and "fixing" it. They are arrogant sons of bitches.
>>
>harem
>loli
>western
Recs?
>>
>>23620432
I remember how pointless the dragon mystery was. Should have at least had the balls to actually change who the dragon is if they were going for it, the show's fucked anyway so might as well. Instead we get a reveal of something that everyone already knew and several scenes that literally just eat up precious screen time because they're made to set up others as potential dragon.
It's like a shitty fanfic written by a teenage girl.
>>
>>23620447
I recommend you find God.
>>
sss-class suicide hero was the only novel to make me almost cry ever.
>>
>>23620447
seconded
>>
metro 2033
>>
>>23620437
This used to be my favorite thing to get mad over
https://gizmodo.com/adapting-the-wheel-of-time-for-tv-is-an-epic-all-its-ow-1848026456
>It’s a very fundamental change actually to make to the book series, and it has a lot of ripple effects, and we’ll continue to do things like that I think are more reflective of what hopefully Robert Jordan would be writing if he was writing today.
>>
>Go on /lit/
>It's a bunch of jobless male pissbabies offended by tv
Talk about /lit/ faggots
>>
File: 58643-tenebroum.jpg (138 KB, 400x600)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Read Tenebroum
>>
File: 1595993970584.jpg (165 KB, 750x671)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>23620682
nobody with a drop of testosterone in their body says "pissbabies"
>>
>>23620738
>xitter-4chan repost
Keep whatever mental illness you have away from me and this thread.
>>
>>23620730
I have a feeling someone is going to say this book is 0/10 cause no cunny
>>
>>23620682
it's just bakkerfag arguing with his other personas, he forgot to take his meds please understand
>>
>>23619291
>>23619749
Based Lee, she was a real femcel coomer
>>
>moggs Hyperion
>>
>>23619749
>>23619291
>be woman
>ruin everything
wtf Lee is based!?!
>>
>>23620674
>what hopefully Robert Jordan would be writing if he was writing today
What a fucking cunt, holy shit. If Jordan was alive he'd probably bend him over the knee and spank him for being such a faggot
>>
>>23620906
>Zoomers are just now discovering how based Tanith Lee was
LOL!
>>
>>23617808
i am not a woman, no. the character is passive and given incredible and disproportionate plot armor only to suffer. being characterized as a flawed victim with little satisfaction
the fantasy aspects are borrowed to form whatever construct might keep the character in the role of bernie in weekend at bernies
i keep getting punted out of whatever suspension of disbelief im supposed to maintain for various reasons, and for what?
>>
Which fantasy book most resembles Stoner?
>>
>>23619785
/r/fantasy is just a bunch of Tumblr lesbians gooning to muh fierce diverse female mc
>>
>>23620830
>>23620906
Look at who wrote the review blurb
>>
>>23620998
You mean the intro?
>>
>>23615049
Prose on par with a 16 year old art hoe.
>>
>>23620982
i don't know, but this,
>>23620945
(farseer trilogy)
probably isn't too far off
>>
>>23621044
what would you recommend?
>>
>>23620997
It really isn't.
>>
Are you supposed to be confused reading this? I'm on book 4 and I like the series but half the time I feel like I have only a vague clue of what's going on
>>
For twi readers, new chap pass is vampireFlight
>>
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28601/arrogant-young-master-template-a-variation-4
xianxia Anon was posting about this earlier, I read the reviews and everyone is saying it's good, but it looks like the author just stopped writing it. Is it worth a read?
>>
>>23621106
Nothing, because I am a retarded hispter faggot who spends all my time watching hbomberguy, just read something written by a black (blasian) lesbian.
>>
>>23621147
Yes. There are many people, groups, and much else dedicated to understanding it.
>>
>>23621147
You aren't supposed to be reading it.
>>
File: a.png (279 KB, 928x339)
279 KB
279 KB PNG
>>23621165
Holy shit royal road's user ads are so fucking bad
>>
>>23621106
I recommend you go fuck yourself.
>>
>>23621181
Yeah, but they have the early youtube thing going on where you can just click on your favorite authors profile and see everything they liked and followed. I wish I could see what they have read
>>
Give me the list of essential webnovel litrpg. You aren't educated if you haven't read this list. title and author name only. Erotica is allowed. For a aspiring writer

Here's a list of essential webnovel LitRPG titles and their authors:
"The Wandering Inn" by Pirateaba
"Mother of Learning" by Nobody103 (Domagoj Kurmaic)
"Dungeon Crawler Carl" by Matt Dinniman
"Everybody Loves Large Chests" by Exterminatus
"The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound" by Noret Flood
"The Primal Hunter" by Zogarth
"Defiance of the Fall" by TheFirstDefier
"Azarinth Healer" by Rhaegar
"He Who Fights With Monsters" by Shirtaloon
"Practical Guide to Evil" by ErraticErrata
>>
>>23615944
>Intends to end
Just sounds weird to me.
>>
>>23621197
Steinbeck's Advice:
Authenticity and Depth in Characters:

Steinbeck: Create characters that feel real, with depth and complexity. They should have genuine struggles and growth.
Webnovels:
Many of the novels like "The Tutorial is Too Hard" and "Cultivation Chat Group" incorporate humor and exaggeration, which can sometimes detract from deep character development. However, stories like "I Shall Seal the Heavens" and "The Daily Life of the Immortal King" do offer rich, multi-dimensional characters despite their comedic elements.
Mastering Storytelling Techniques:

Steinbeck: Employ strong narrative techniques, including setting, plot development, and pacing.
Webnovels:
Novels like "Reincarnation: From OPM to Immortal Cultivator" and "Azarinth Healer" often follow intricate plots and well-defined settings, showing mastery of storytelling. However, some novels might focus more on game mechanics and less on traditional narrative techniques.
Writing with Honesty:

Steinbeck: Write with genuine emotion and honesty, allowing your true voice to shine through.
Webnovels:
Webnovels like "The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound" and "Defiance of the Fall" often embrace their own unique worlds and mechanics, showcasing the authors’ creative honesty. They might not always align with traditional literary styles but are genuine in their own context.
Similarities and Differences:
Character Development:

Similarities: Characters in webnovels often experience significant growth and face challenges, much like Steinbeck’s characters. However, the depth can vary depending on the blend of LitRPG and Xianxia elements.
Differences: Webnovels may prioritize game mechanics and humor over nuanced character exploration.
Storytelling Techniques:

Similarities: Many webnovels use detailed world-building and complex plots, which align with Steinbeck’s focus on storytelling.
Differences: The emphasis on game mechanics and cultivation systems might overshadow traditional narrative elements like subtlety and gradual character development.
Honesty and Voice:

Similarities: Webnovels often reflect the authors’ unique styles and imaginative worlds, displaying a form of creative honesty.
Differences: The focus on genre conventions and tropes might sometimes limit the raw, emotional honesty that Steinbeck advocates.
>>
>>23621209
Marquis de Sade’s Writings:
Themes: Sade’s works often explore extreme libertinism, taboo subjects, and the darker aspects of human nature. His novels, such as "Justine" and "120 Days of Sodom," are notorious for their explicit content and philosophical exploration of freedom and morality.
Style: Sade’s style is characterized by detailed, explicit descriptions and a philosophical underpinning that interrogates societal norms and morality.
Sexuality: Sade’s portrayal of sexuality is explicit and often extreme, focusing on power dynamics, domination, and the subversion of traditional moral values.
Erotic Webnovels Comparison:
"Everybody Loves Large Chests" by Exterminator:

Themes: This webnovel combines eroticism with a LitRPG framework. It features a humorous and fantastical approach to sexual content, often focusing on exaggerated fantasy scenarios rather than philosophical exploration.
Style: The style is more playful and fantastical, using humor and fantasy elements to present erotic scenes. The focus is on entertainment rather than philosophical discourse.
Sexuality: The erotic content is explicit but presented in a way that aligns with fantasy and humor. It’s less about exploring power dynamics or morality and more about creating engaging and exaggerated scenarios.
"The Lustful Dungeon Master" by Drax:

Themes: This webnovel blends dungeon-crawling and eroticism, focusing on fantasy and adventure while integrating explicit content. The themes revolve around power and fantasy rather than philosophical questions.
Style: The narrative combines dungeon exploration with erotic encounters, using detailed descriptions of both settings and sexual content.
Sexuality: The portrayal of sexuality is explicit and linked to fantasy elements. It emphasizes pleasure and fantasy scenarios without delving into deeper moral or philosophical implications.
"The Dragon’s Harem" by Esmerson:

Themes: The novel features a fantasy setting where the protagonist’s erotic adventures are central to the plot. Themes include power dynamics and fantasy, with less emphasis on philosophical exploration.
Style: It employs a narrative style that integrates erotic content with fantasy adventure, focusing on pleasure and escapism.
Sexuality: Sexual content is explicit and tied to fantasy elements, similar to other erotic webnovels. It focuses more on escapism and pleasure rather than deeper philosophical themes.
(1/2)
>>
"Succubus’ Life in Another World" by Sinistral:

Themes: This webnovel features a succubus protagonist in a fantasy world, exploring themes of seduction and fantasy. It centers around erotic adventures and power dynamics.
Style: The writing combines fantasy world-building with explicit content, creating a narrative focused on pleasure and escapism.
Sexuality: The sexuality is explicit and fantasy-driven, focusing on the experiences and adventures of the succubus in a fantastical setting.
"The Eternal Academy" by Kanto:

Themes: This webnovel combines a magical academy setting with erotic content. Themes include fantasy, power, and relationships, with less focus on philosophical or moral questions.
Style: The style is a blend of fantasy adventure and eroticism, with a focus on character relationships and explicit scenes.
Sexuality: The erotic content is explicit and intertwined with fantasy elements. It focuses on character interactions and pleasure without delving into deeper philosophical or moral questions.
Comparison Summary:
Themes and Philosophy:

Sade: Explores extreme libertinism and moral philosophy, often presenting a critical view of societal norms.
Webnovels: Tend to focus more on fantasy, pleasure, and escapism. They often lack the philosophical depth and critical exploration found in Sade’s works.
Style and Presentation:

Sade: Detailed and explicit with a philosophical underpinning.
Webnovels: Often use humor, fantasy, and exaggerated scenarios, with less emphasis on philosophical or moral exploration.
Sexuality:

Sade: Explicit and extreme, with a focus on power dynamics and taboo subjects.
Webnovels: Explicit but often presented in a playful or fantastical context, focusing on pleasure and entertainment rather than philosophical inquiry.
(2/2)
>>
>>23621221
>"The Eternal Academy" by Kanto
Does this even exist? Most of these don't even exist! TAKE YOU MEDS gptsama
>>
>>23615277
I read it fairly recently after WOT and ASOIAF and lesser works.
I severely enjoyed it. But I'm a fan of slower pastoral fantasy. It has very charming prose and is every bit as well executed as the films.
WOT was very much a spiritual successor.
Tolkien is far better in technical ability than most genre writers.
>>
>>23621183
just say what you want to say, man. dont be shy
>>
>>23621234
>WOT and ASOIAF
ATG, AWE and RMJI clears dat sloppyploppy
>>
>>23618393
Not really, but he does deconstruct them, and is original enough in what he does do.
>>
>>23621255
>>23618393
Several authors have cited his inspiration/influence on their stuff. Not sure about any copying though
>>
>>23619318
I watched 1 episode and knew I was done at the halfway point.
I can only assume it is all just as bad.
The show runner I'd a reality TV star or something.
Its pure subversion, ignore its existence. They saw something wholesome and uplifting and needed to shit all over it from every side.
>>
>>23621234
>Tolkien is far better in technical ability than most genre writers.
He was a wealthy Englishman who studied English literature at Oxford. Of course he has a better technical ability than genre writers.
It is a shame journalists like Hemingway were heralded as "realistic" and "fresh", as literature never really recovered since it dumbed itself down.
Over the last century, the English speaking world has deteriorated the language so much that even the most well educated of today would probably be treated like retards by those in the 19th century.
>>
>>23619921
They get investments from billionaires so they can subvert and degrade society.
They hire absolute tards so they can appeal to the tardbase which just eats up and regurgitates whatever its shown.
Hence rafe. This is how Sony runs an empire.
>>23620309
El, o el
I guess they so thoroughly alienated the demographic that was able to appreciate Jordan that they had no choice but to churn that out. The absolute drool factories that stuck through the first season can't even tell how dumb it all is and probably get off on actual absurdity.
>>
>>23621308
You should read some letters sent from sailing ships written by 15 year olds talking about his dying sister.
Lad makes us all sound like people intentionally talking like fags.
>>
>>23621405
>>23621308
How come the most ardent defenders of the white race are such poor examples of it?
>>
>>23621487
>How come the most ardent defenders of the white race are such poor examples of it?
Why are the people who are most adamant about the superiority of the white race always the worst examples of it?
>>
>>23621490
>>How come the most ardent defenders of the white race are such poor examples of it?
>Why are the people who are most adamant about the superiority of the white race always the worst examples of it?
Why is it the greatest champions of the white race always turn out to be the worst examples of it? You! Where the fuck is your chin? -some potato nigger
>>
heck yeah i love Garth Ennis
for me it's Hitman
>>
>>23619772
>dense and rewarding
Lmao, it reads as very trite to me. I would much rather read litrpg webnovels than the same purple prose over and over again
>the links of reasoning woven together into a chaotic mass where no beginning and no end could be found.
>>
File: 1400898954866.png (141 KB, 372x357)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>Mao Ni - Ever Night
absolute kinography
>>
>>23621787
>moaning every night
>>
I for one welcome our new chinese overlords and will be reading 1 xianxia a day for the next year
>>
>>23621787
I might read this instead of finishing way of choices
>>
Can you faggots fuck off and make your own thread? No one gives a shit about your weebslop
>>
>>23618602
I've read 198 pages. When does it get good?

>>23620730
I'm gonna read it
>>
>>23621980
i want them to fuck off to china

if they like reading chinkshit so much they can read it every day for the rest of their lives
>>
>>23620236
That was the first book. Later on, King Sorweel becomes a fag and gets buttfucked by his African prince friend. Also Kellhus and Proyas, though that's a strategic master plan move as usual and was literally no homo.
>>
>>23621610
yes I enjoy literature and language, you enjoy content and plot-slop, you material just happens to be in text form
>>
>>23621610
>the links of reasoning woven together into a chaotic mass where no beginning and no end could be found.
imagine thinking this is "purple" prose lmao
>why didn't he just say they're slaves that like money EZ saved you a page
how do you end up on a text forum on the literature board and disdain the written word
>>
>>23622521
I don't remember gay rape in the first book. I think the only gay thing was Cnaiur. Wait, yeah, there's gay sex implied, ok.
>>
>>23621885
They are very different.
Ever Night is quite grounded and gritty, almost Wuxia (until 3/4 through the story, then the powe-level goes crazy).
I really enjoyed it.
>>
>>23618792
Oh... No. Not that I'm aware of.
Sorry, I forgot about that. I devised a weird system where I play the book on my phone and on PC at the same time. Because the player on my phone remembers time. If you're using phone, I recommend "smart audiobook player". This one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ak.alizandro.smartaudiobookplayer&hl=en_US

It's no fucking nonsense. It remembers time, has basic options like stepping forward and back by a short amount of time. Pauses playback when it's interrupted, so you don't miss anything. A UI lock, so you can prevent yourself from fat fingering and missing your place. It has a bunch of finer options too I'll probably never use, but are there for weirdos who need fine control over every aspect of their lives. And it does it all with zero ads, zero intrusive bullshit. It just works.

If you could figure out how to use this app for your PC, I would recommend over anything else.
>>
>>23622746
>>23622746
>>23622746
New
>>
>>23615122
You can indeed feel that the author was getting burned out towards the end. The final part largely makes up for it though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.