[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1722085566333492.jpg (179 KB, 516x489)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
Now for an unpopular opinion thread!

>Gotchard is actually kind of good.
>>
>>22797232
Gad Guard was horrible, no trolling or joking it was very badly made.
>>
>gotchard this
>gotchard that
Is this just one guy spamming or is that show really as important as it seems?
>>
>>22797262
Not important at all. It’s just current. As for its quality… it’s fine. It’s not great and it doesn’t suck, it’s purely acceptable.
>>
File: 1671809939128603.png (151 KB, 430x396)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
>>22797232
>unpopular opinion
The majority of posts on this board are off topic and only vaguely fit in because "muh board culture". This is accepted because it's a slow board.
>>
>>22797232
>Dancouga Nova is amazing. It's not only better than the original Dancouga, it's also one of Obari's best anime.
>SEED Destiny is one of the best Gundam shows; it makes sense if you think about it.
>Shinn was a nasty teenager who refused to let go of his grudges and hatred, so he was a perfect villain for Team Lacus to defeat since he represented the attitudes that cause all the war in the Cosmic Era.
>00 is one of the most bland, uninteresting, generic Gundam shows along with AGE.
>G Gundam is a terrible show since it was a battle shonen.
>SD Gundam Force is a great show; it's just a Brave show with SD Gundam designs.
>The 70s Go Nagai mecha shows are better than their 90s/2000s counterparts, aside from Gaiking LODM.
>Might Gaine is the weakest Brave show since it sidelined the robots too much and the ending was way too meta.
>Tetsujin FX is the best Tetsujin show.
>Wataru, Ryu Knight, Lamune, and Granzort are terrible mecha shows since they focus more on human-driven comedy and hero's journey, making them closer to action comedy battle shonen like Fairy Tale rather than actual mecha shows.
>Godannar is one of the worst mecha shows ever made since it was trying to be sexy rather than cool.
>Time Bokan 24 is the best Time Bokan show.
>Mobile suits are best when they have mobile armor modes.
>Flashy super robot designs are always better than "realistic" military robot designs.
>Animation doesn't matter in mecha shows if the designs, story, and soundtrack are good.
>Character drama/development doesn't matter unless it ties into the worldbuilding and plot (e.g. Aquarion and Newtype episodes in Gundam); different people act in several different ways, so a character doesn't need to be fleshed out or sympathetic to be good.
>Anime that try to be "deep and meaningful" (e.g. GITS, LOGH, Dougram) are always bad since they don't care about being cool, and any points or messages they have are things you should have learned in high school.
>>
>>22797426
Yeah battletech shit should be an instaban.
>>
>>22797535
No you are pretty easy to spot.
>>
>>22797232
I do not understand the hate for Mari in the Rebuilds. She has around 20 minutes of screen time in 4 movies and does absolutely nothing. I don't like her, but I also don't hate her precisely because she does nothing to like/hate
>>
>>22797528
>I'm too retarded to keep my waifu posting confined to /a/ better shit up other boards
>>
>>22797454
This post is so shit I almost thought it had that ugly battletech image posted with it. Fuck off you worthless faggot.

>>22797924
>im complaining about anime on an anime website
>>>/trash/
Go back to where battletech belongs you insufferable nigger.
>>
>>22797924
>complaining about waifus out of nowhere
>on /m/
KEK
>>
>>22797663
Stop ban evading.
>>
>>22797232
Despite its flaws, Kamen Rider Kiva is actually a pretty great show
>>
>AGE is good
>Saber is good
>Transformers are /m/
>Build DIvers is fun and better than Try
>G-Reco is easy to understand and follow
>G-Witch was good
>IBO had good designs
>We at RobotechX.com all laughing
>>
>>22797983
Care to elaborate? This is the unpopular opinion thread, after all. Here's some more:
>Gundam Wing TV designs are way better than Endless Waltz designs.
>The Getter Robo Go anime is better than the manga since the anime is basically a Brave show with Getter.
>Mazinger is a better franchise than Getter, but Go Nagai's best work is X-Bomber -- it's basically my dream mecha show (super robot in space).
>New Captain Scarlet is better than the original Captain Scarlet since it had more spaceships.
>Ultraman Cosmos is the best Ultraman show for its non-violence and cool vehicles; for similar reasons, Daitetsujin 17 is the best Toei toku (I haven't seen Solbrain or Exceedraft yet, but most Toei toku are way too violent for me -- Winspector is particularly egregious since the bad guys tried to bury a kid alive in a barrel, and Sentai shows tend to have fanservice on top of the violence for some reason -- a shame because Carranger, ToQger, and Dekaranger look particularly cool).
>Part 3 is the best part of Megazone 23.
>Transformers Superlink/Energon is better overall than Armada/Micron Densetsu because they weren't hunting for Minicons and spent more time in space; however, Armada had a better second half and ending than Energon.
>Webdiver is an excellent show since it had good designs, a good setting, and good episodic and ongoing stories. The CGI even gives the fights a special type of surrealism, and my headcanon is that all those robots are huge, clunky machines like the Psyco Gundam.
>DYRL and SDF Macross are super overrated; they would have been as good as people say they are if they didn't have those annoying love triangles.
>MOTW shows for kids are the best type of mecha shows since they're pure, undistilled coolness.
>>
>>22797232
Gasaraki was fine.
>>
>>22798517
No-one cares what you think Drool, fuck off
>>
>>22797528
Remember that these "unpopular opinion" threads are your fault since you can't help but rage at mecha you don't like. Now cope.
>>
I like Shinn more than Kiira and Athrun.
>>
Destiny Athrun was the most entertaining character of the Cosmic Era.
>>
>>22798843
Agreed, in no small part because he had the Saviour, got to be a Quattro clone, and never fell under Durandal's brainwashing.
>>
>>22798843
I'm a Destiny apologist and even I can't agree, literally everyone who was likeable in Seed became shit and unlikeable.
>>
>>22798873
>>22798851
Watching and hearing him rant about Durandal and Rey was funny to me.
>>
>>22798881
I didn't think it was funny; I thought it was the natural reaction for someone who wants to be part of something but doesn't agree with the people in it.
>>
>>22798843
Yes, but in the sense that he's just genuinely the most horrible person, the biggest hypocrite, and so freakishly stupid that he ends the series still not realizing like 90% of what just happened is DIRECTLY his fault.
>>
>>22798893
Athrun being a bigger "villain" than Durandal and Rau confirmed.
>>
>>22798898
Durandal was 100% thoroughly evil, don't get me wrong. It's just that Athrun literally sat there with his dick in his hand letting Durandal set up and get away with everything, and actively pushed the charges he was responsible for into becoming his willing enforcers. Every single responsibility Athrun has, he not only fails at, he accomplishes his enemies' goals FOR them.
>>
>>22798902
No wonder Akira Ishida had no clue about his role during Destiny.
>>
>>22798902
Athrun was confused, and he thought he was doing the right thing. The confusion is a big part of SEED Destiny -- remind me again how many times they say something along the lines of "we must find a clearer path in these confusing times"? It also makes sense because Athrun is the real MC of Destiny according to Fukuda.
>>
>>22798262
>G-Reco is easy to understand and follow
Agreed. It's also easily top 3 best Gundam shows
>>
File: 1665916036506.jpg (1.2 MB, 1400x788)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
Ippei Gyoubu is easily the best "new" mecha designer and is breathing a much-needed breath of fresh air when it comes to Mobile Suit design.
>>
>>22799479
No.
>>
>>22799513
Best G-Reco designs
>Grimoire
>Jahannam
>Hecate
>Kabakali
>Gaeon
Best IBO designs
>Every Kimaris/Vidar variant
>Shinden
>Hugo/Gilda/Enzo
>Asmoday
Best Moon Gundam designs
>Varguil
>Rick Dijeh
Best WFM designs
>Literally everything from Jeturk

He's the best thing to come to Gundam in the last 10 years.
>>
Kunio Okawara's best designs are from the Brave series.
>>
Obari is great mech designer, but most of the stuff he's directed kinda suck
>>
>>22797232
... I honestly enjoyed Ninninger.

Fuck I really enjoyed when the Red ranger got focus episodes on his dad and his girlfriend.

Also, Episode 29 of King-ohger is one of the worst episode of Sentai ever, one of the absolute stupidest plots ever.
>>
>>22798884
I think what they meant was rather than tell Shinn about how Durandal is setting him up, he goes on a tangent about how Durandal is trying to destroy the world which makes him look like a raving lunatic.
>>
File: iron mask.jpg (309 KB, 1840x1000)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
Iron Mask is not as bad character as people say.
>>
Toku Giant Robo was the best Giant Robo. Also FX was best Tetsujin 28.
>>
Seed Freedom is likely the best anime movie ever made. Definitely the best Gundam entry.
>>
>>22799985
Jesus christ it's not even the best mecha anime film, let alone best anime movie. Consume more media.
>>
>>22799699
I'd say that's fair, he's a much better director of animation than he is an actual director.

Well apart from Bible Black.
>>
>>22800163
>Bible Black
He had nothing to do with Bible Black.
>>
>>22800185
What was the hentai he did direct? The dickgirl one?
>>
>>22800194
/m/ - talking about shows I didn't watch
>>
>>22800204
Could have sworn he did more hentai than Viper GTS.
>>
>>22800231
>>22800194
Angel Blade.
>>
>>22800234
Now THAT's the dickgirl show. What was up with that period of his career exactly? He was between jobs while working on Gravion and Zwei and looking to work on something new?
>>
>>22800237
Probably for the same reason Akiyuki Shinbo directed a lot of hentai in the 2000s -- that's where the budget was for people who wanted to direct and be given a fair amount of creative freedom.
>>
angel blade was good, it was the second series that was ass
>>
AnimeShinigami does not deserve to be compared to ARR. One is just Italian anime fans trying to make people happy, the other just want money. I know this because I worked for both.
>>
>0083 is better than 0080.
>08thMST did a good job of sticking to real robot

>>22798517
I like the tv wing designs better too, but the ew ones are still cool
>>
Hugbox threads are gay
>>
MD Geist 2 is better than the first MD Geist. It has better designs (Geist with SEED-style wings and that cool elevator and pedway), cooler fights, and a better story.
>>
File: Msm04g_p01.jpg (86 KB, 1000x563)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>22797232
Most uc gundam mobile suit designs are boring as fuck.

So many are just "here's a zaku but slightly different" or "here's a GM but slightly different" or 5 billion unflavored versions of a gundam instead of something that tries to push any boundaries. Msg, Zeta and double zeta all have a few standout designs, but so many, and especially after, things just start falling off fast. The fuck happened to the creative stuff?

Note my favorite suits are things like the juaggu, asshimar and zssa.
>>
>>22802427
What do you think of everyone getting their own Gundam in SEED?
>>
>>22802430
Meh.
Again you can do creative things with the platform, and there's even a few I like, but it does fall into the same camp of 5 billion flavors of gundam that are basically the same. Though the fact they, with a few grunts as well, can swap out their gear is pretty neat.
>>
>>22797262
Season just ended so it's time for the yearly "this was the worst season ever" revisionism /krg/ does
>>
Daitarn 3 is Tomino's best show

Toshiki Inou has never made anything good in his life

post kuuga KR is all but trash aside from 2-3 shows that are just OK

Ultraman 1966 is the peak of television and the best show of all time right next to Sopranos and Twin Peaks

Aside from digitisation and a few odd episodes there really isn't that much wrong with the second season of Big O and it's still worth watching
>>
>>22797232
Zeta Gundam is overrated. The first half was good, but the second half was very hit or miss.
>>
>>22797255
I thought it was mediocre.
>>
>>22797232
Sayaka and Boss are terrible characters.
>>
>>22797232
Victory is Tomino’s magnum opus, more so than Turn A or Zeta despite all the studio interferences and flaws
>>
>>22803737
>he doesn't like literally helpful friends who just want to help out
You're right, this IS an unpopular opinion
>>
>>22803743
I agree. Victory does a good job at showcasing the absolute fatigue and indifference of a society driven to ruin by endless war and destruction and feels like a natural conclusion to UC
>>
>>22799479
>>22799645
I agree with you, although I have some complaints around high heels and small feet.
>>
>>22797232
Tomino's compilation films can replace their respective TV runs
>>
Mecha is better in manga and novel formats than being an anime.
>>
MonsterVerse movies are usually better than Toho movies. I say this as a Godzilla fan since 1997.
>>
Victory was the best of UC.
>>
>>22797232
Kio is an amazing protagonist.
>>
>>22819390
He's a lot better than Asemu.
>>
File: jarjar.png (671 KB, 500x725)
671 KB
671 KB PNG
>>22802427
>Most uc gundam mobile suit designs are boring as fuck.
There's a ton of variety in designs if you're sticking to actual mainline UC, the billion Zaku and GM variants mostly come from the supplementary material and OVAs where they're just awkwardly slapped into an existing timeline. Even late UC, F91 and Victory each take their suit design in different directions.

>>22803743
>>22806764
>>22816526
No longer an unpopular opinion
>>
File: GUNDAM!!.jpg (273 KB, 1920x1080)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>22802427
>>22821373
>favourite is the Gyan
>partial to the Juaggu, R-Jarja, Hyakushiki, Bawoo, Zeong, Hyakushiki, and the Nightingale
>it just seems to be largely Gundams and Zakus from some point on
Don't oversaturate your Gundam show with Gundams unless your name is Master Asia
>>
>>22821385
why is gundamman harassing this poor couple
>>
>>22821570
One of them is hanging out with someone who doesn't primarily pilot a Gundam.
>>
>>22803745
Sayaka is also ugly.
>>
It has been years since I have intentionally bumped a post on /m/, 99% of threads are so shit that I auto-include sage every time.
Of course I didn't sage this thread though.
>>
>>22797232
Boss is overrated, he’s hilarious sure but sometimes it feels as though people hype him up to the point of making it sound like he’s the only reason you should watch Mazinger.
>>
>>22821314
And better than Flit.
>>
File: HLMeU.jpg (182 KB, 1280x720)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>22797232
>unpopular opinions

1 - Muv-Luv is bad overall, but it is WORSE in how to deal an Alien Invasion (you dont fight with the same weapons for 30 years, and think that you can change the tides of the invasion, KOUKI YOU HACK)

2 - Zoids is a good anime (the first and second seasons, Genesis is meh)

>>22798517
>DYRL and SDF Macross are super overrated; they would have been as good as people say they are if they didn't have those annoying love triangles.
DYRL maybe, but the tv series is gud. still agree that triangle stuff (too much focus)

>>22801125
>08thMST did a good job of sticking to real robot
in combat aspects? yes (excluding that black Zaku that had some point zero energy stuff. that shit in theory could blow up continents)

but the drama and plot looks disjointed sometimes
>>
I liked Doan's Island
>>
>>22809968
i would add that animating mecha is pain in the ass. and we have an endless list of examples...

or , sadly, is well animated in a boring movie/series. im looking at YOU, Patlabor...
>>
>>22830868
Animating in general is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>22797232
Mecha fans that defend CG mecha are retarded and should feel bad for dragging this genre down by continuing to support it.

Never settle for less. Demand more from the multibillion-dollar companies because they can afford it and if they can't afford it then they shouldn't fucking make it at all.
>>
>>22831101
>said anon, 18, who had just finished watching his first Gundam show mere weeks ago
>>
>>22831157
>makes argument
>waits for response
>"I think you're young and will now discard your opinion so I can keep consuming slop"

Brilliant.
>>
>>22832286
>slop
Hmm 18 might've been generous, you can't be older than 12.
>>
>>22832516
actual fucking NPC behaviour jesus christ
>>
>>22832682
Yeah going "muh slop" is very popular with kids and "NPC" nowadays.
>>
>>22799645
>Best WFM designs
>Literally everything from JNTHED
Fixed
>>
>>22809968
Why do you think so?
>>22831101
I actually like CGI mecha sometimes because they feel more concrete and textured than 2D mecha.
>>
>>22832764
Don't lie when you know for a fact that you're wrong. CGI mecha are only more "textured" because they have random panel lines everywhere and wtf does "concrete" mean in this context?
>>
>>22797232
Showtaro Morikubo is a great voice actor for Koji.
>>
>>22797232
Tomboys are the worst girls.
>>
Advance of Zeta is the ugliest shit
>>
>>22803033
Agreed on Daitarn 3.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.