[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: best xt.jpg (28 KB, 550x366)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
"It's actually pronounced deh-oh-reh (デオーレ)" edition

Resources:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help

Previous thread: >>2000844
>>
Ok but is it dee-rayler or d'הreghχlя? The French ministry of culture is watching, choose your next words VERY carefully indeed
>>
I cleaned my chain and gears for the first time, and now I have squeaking and grinding noises coming from the bottom bracket. How likely is it that I got some degreaser into the crank bearing?
>>
Have any of you ever gotten high and gone riding? I have been doing it lately and its so much fun its ridiculous. I feel so amazing when I do it. I know its probably a stupid/dangerous thing to do but, yeah
>>
what do you guys think of differently colored accessory part? cool or lame? i have a silver frame road bike, thinking of either keeping all components black or going with gold or something
>>2002420
i sometimes ride home when drunk at night, very fun, impossible to go slow.
>>
Question.
If my bike comes with a Shimano CS-HG700 11sp 11-34T cassette and front is Shimano FC-RX600 46/30T the derailleur is Shimano GRX RX810 2x11 can I switch the cassette from a 11-34T to a 11-42T?
>>
>>2002425
I think it's lame that you felt the need to ask a bunch of autists on an anonymous internet forum about matters of taste.
>>
>>2002426
No. According to Shimano, your derailleur maxes out at 34t. You’d have to upgrade it if you wanted to do that.
>>
>>2002430
Even if I get one of those 3rd party extenders?
>>
>>2002431
Going from 34 to 44 would be a big jump for an extender. You’re likely then to lose quite a few of your top end gears then. If you want better gearing for massive grades, maybe try going to a smaller chainring size. It’ll have less impact, but it’ll be much cheaper than derailleur + cassette. Or build more endurance.
>>
>>2002425
aftermarket pulleys are a meme and the anodizing will wear off those chink parts
>>
>>2002432
What about 11-40T cassette? The front has 30T and 46T with an extender that should be "okay"?
>>
>>2002430
>>2002432
Oh and to clarify why I am asking this is because I am a heavy rider and thinking about buying a new bike with better things than what I have today on my almost broken bike that I have been riding for a few years.
That bike had before a 46/34T front and 8spd cassette with 11-34T and I removed the larger chainring on that bike and kept the 34T and got an aftermarket cassette with 11-48T with an extender and it worked out well for the years I been using
>>
>>2002437
yeah go for an extender +11/42 it should work. as I guess you already know they don't make double crankset smaller than 46/30 with road chainline
>>
>>2002425
Shimano derailers index well because they have a 'centeron' upper pulley that has a little float (side to side play). Most aftermarket pulleys do not have this.

So your shifting will be worse, or, require fussier adjustment, with bling pulleys.

>what do you guys think of differently colored accessory part?
colour highlights can definitely look cool, but i am not a fan of full matchy colorschemes. One or two highlights usually looks better than matching a bunch of things.
>>
>>2002426
Buying a new high spec drivetrain to jankily modify it is retarded.
Especially because there IS a long cage GRX derailer designed for a 11-42 cassette.

If that's what you want then you should get that. An extender link thing would work but you're degrading shifting and buying the new cassette to swap is pretty expensive (unless you're buying a chink cassette, and again, on an expensive new bike, really?). I don't see why you'd do it off the bat with a new bike.

46/30 & 11-34 is pretty good range too. Do you really need more? What kind of riding are you doing? Sure you may be a fat but consider than simply having a decent bike might make up for a few low end gears in pure efficiency.

>>2002457
>as I guess you already know they don't make double crankset smaller than 46/30 with road chainline
Untrue.
44/28 and 42/26 subcompacts exist
>>
>>2002414
shift to the small chainring, then lift the chain off the chainring and hang it over your bottom bracket shell.
Then with your bike in a stand or hung, you can spin the crank, and pull the crank arms against the chainstays to test for roughness, noise or play.
>>
File: Track-bike-hero.jpg (1.84 MB, 4000x2200)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
ayo
>>
File: chute.webm (2.49 MB, 1280x720)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB WEBM
>>2002484
aerobars are suicide spec.
>>
>>2002484
>solid disk wheels
no from me dawg.
>>
>>2002481
>46/30 & 11-34 is pretty good range too. Do you really need more?
Yeah I do. I have tried to climb the hills around my area with a bike that was 46/34 11-34
Couldn't do it even if I stood up. Was too heavy to pedal
>>
>>2002487
He was one hand on the bullhorns, one on the aerobars, then hit something while unprepared. I agree aerobars are suicide-spec but this was bad luck.
>>
>>2002490
What kind of gradients are we talking here? If you’re at the point where you can’t turn the crank with your body weight at a 1:1 ratio I’m questioning if these gradients are just too excessive. The bigger the guy, the more power out of the saddle.
>>
>>2002490
I recommend hitting the gym in your off time with a focus on full body workout strength.
Also, get a big ass MTB cassette.
On short steep climbs I recommend putting in big effort at the base of the hill so you can carry momentum, and standing early. Then when you are tired of standing, you shift down to an easier gear.
>>
How do you handle riding in the heat? It gets to 90+ degrees already, I don't mind the actual temperatures but after 2 hours on the bike I get a nasty headache when I get home.

I tried a bandana, pretty much no difference.
>>
>>2002519
headache=dehydrated
So spam some water and electrolytes while riding.
>>
>>2002520
Doesn't feel dehydrated, feels like sun blasting directly into my bald head. I downed 1l during a 35km ride two days ago and got a headache regarldess. Its fine while I ride, but when I cool down and get home thats when it kicks in.

I'll try drinking more but I doubt that's the issue.
>>
>>2002521
Try the electrolytes too, which can be done cheaply.
I tend to have the same issue when I don't refuel right after getting home. Shit I remember getting damn near delirous at 100+F on the mtb.

cycling caps might be more uv resistant to the sun too, then you can larp as all the old racers as well.
>>
File: 1000010331.jpg (54 KB, 950x920)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2002420
I bike high often, one of my favorite things to do.
>>
Is it possible to find a smaller chainring to fit on a GRX FC-RX810 40T?
Or should I get a new crank set if I want something lighter and with less teeth
>>
>>2002521
Electrolytes+banana. You don't replenish potassium very fast from regular diet, and electrolyte supplements generally don't pack enough potassium.
>>
File: IMG_2648.jpg (132 KB, 684x404)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>2002529
Wolftooth make some
>>
>>2002532
It says for 12spd but I have a 11spd setup will it work?
>>
>>2002425
>>2002479
>So your shifting will be worse, or, require fussier adjustment, with bling pulleys

I recently replaced mine on both bikes with no noticeable effect on shifting.
also, the aluminum ones are much cleaner, the old plastic ones, all the oil stuck to them
>>
>>2002420
Ever since the invention of the space pen, there is not a single moment I ride sober. Hell, there isn't a single moment in my whole day where I'm not high. The space pen makes it too easy to get blasted into space, especially now that weed oil prices have become incredibly accessible in my area. When I'm feeling extra spicy, which is like almost every day, I drink beer while I ride my bike by the lake after hitting the space pen.
>>
>>2002543
If you want to be high all the time why even bother with that shit when edibles last longer, won't explode, have fewer weird chemicals to fuck up your lungs, and are more courteous to the people around you?
>>
>>2002545
I wish I could do edibles but I barely feel anything unless I eat like 200mg or more and even then, I barely feel it because my tolerance is messed up from hitting the space pen all day every day. Not flexing btw, before the space pen it was an expensive curse to sustain this lifestyle. Now I need it just to feel normal, don't be like me.
>>
>>2002549
You're probably buying some scammy shit from the weed world truck, if you were actually eating 200mg you'd be high for a month
>>
>>2002550
No, even from a (state regulated) dispensary so there's lab results to back the dose claims, however, to be honest, the "weed world truck" or shadey head shop have stronger shit these days because hemp derived delta-8 can be legally reconstructed into alternative cannabinoids which are more powerful and longer lasting than natural THC. Those alternative cannabinoids plus my days of non-THC synthetic cannabinoids have absolutely wrecked the receptors in my brain.
>>
More durable and thickest wrap available for a steel frame?

>Invisiframe?
>Ridewrap?
>Xpel ultimate?
>Effetto Mariposa Shelter?
>>
>>2002535
they have three teeth/tooth profiles
drop-stop A, B and ST
ST is for 12 speed
A and B are for 11 speed
>>
How much better is Shimano grx 800 vs claris?
>>
>>2002576
GRX has clutched derailleurs and hydraulic brakes. Claris is at Acera/Altus level while GRX starts at Deore/Tiagra level and goes up to Ultegra/XT Di2 level.
>>
Folding bike users of /n/ I submit to you:
Is a folding bike a good solution for cycling when you live on the mid to upper floors of an apartment building?

My building doesn't have a bike lockup or a lift so I'll need to lug the whole thing up and down the stairs to my apartment if I want to use it.
I've decided this is not something I'd like to do with a full bike.
However I've never used a folding bike before and I was wondering if there were any anons about who have been in a similar position? Is it feasible to keep a folding bike in my cupboard?
>>
>>2002579
So claris is better?
>>
>>2002581
A folding bike is smaller than a full bike but its still kind of a large awkward item. Comparable to a small nightstand or chair.
It also isn't any lighter than a full bike.

I find that taking my <20lb road bike up stairs is as much work as my folding bike desu. After getting a wall mounted rack, my road bike lives happy out of the way.

Basically, for how much worse of a bike the folding bike is, I'm not sure it's worth the convenience.
>>
File: 1672999444982757.gif (3.87 MB, 324x324)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB GIF
>>2002585
Other way. GRX800 is 2 steps up from claris
>>
>>2002592
Fair enough, how wide a hallway would you say is needed to set up a wall mount like that?
>>
>>2002592
>taking my <20lb road bike up stairs is as much work as my folding bike
that really depends on the stairwell, NTA but i live in a 19th century house that has an insanely narrow one. i just leave my road bike outside though since i prefer that to dealing with a folding one.
>>
Would a 11-46T cassette be a good pairing with a 40T chain ring if I want ease of comfort climbing?
>>
I got Panaracer Gravelking Sk+ TLC Folding Tires 43C and a friend tells me I got a bad set of tires for gravel and that I should get contiental 32 grand prix 5000s
>>
>>2002615
You can do 32c slicks on gravel. I do, but the SK 43c is going to do a better job. More comfortable on easy gravel and more confident on tougher stuff because of the grip. Your friend is dumb.
>>
I know some people will get mad about having a kickstand on a road bike but is there no light weight kickstand?
>>
>>2002621
There are carbon fiber kickstands. But I don’t see the point, it ends up being less stable then learning to lean your bike against things.
>>
>>2002624
I guess but what if I need to do something quickly and I don't want it to lay on the ground if there is nothing for it to lean on
>>
>>2002625
>nothing for it to lean on
this never happens to me, there's always something. instead of stopping and then worrying about where to put the bike, be like "I need to get off" and scout to where the best nearby thing to lean on is and coast over to it.
>>
>>2002615
Your friend is spending too much time on reddit
Gravelkings are not bad at gravel. Also 32mm road tires *can* work on mild gravel.
>>
The back of my foot bumps into my pannier every time I pedal. What is this retarded design flaw?
>>
>>2002656
You're mad at geometry? The maximum size of panniers you can fit depends on how long your chainstays are and how far rearwards on the bike your rack is located.
>>
>>2002656
>>2002656
some of them have a cut-out for this, but most do not. a lot of it has to do with your chainstay angle and different racks set further back than others, too.
>>
File: panniers_11.jpg (952 KB, 800x1100)
952 KB
952 KB JPG
>>2002666
pic
>>
>>2002656
short wheelbase = faster, whippier handling race bike with better aerodynamics and weight, the bosses on it probably intended for fenders, not a rack and every bike inbetween your boat handling long slow touring machine.

there's also a huge amount of adjustability with many better pannier & rack systems so yours is probably just set up badly.
>>
>>2002669
Huh? A fast race bike intended for fenders?

Also I’m just not sure if panniers are best for my needs. I’m urban commuting squeezing through tight spaces, stopping suddenly, and riding on bad roads. I don’t like how they widen the profile of the bike and fuck up handling.
>>
File: wire basket.jpg (133 KB, 1500x1500)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>2002672
>A fast race bike intended for fenders?
yes. ride hard with fenders, minimize maintenance and clothes washing.

zip tie a basket on the rack top instead. That's lower profile and it doesn't sway. Put whatever bag in the basket. Get on and off by swinging your leg over the middle.
>>
File: origin8frontrack.jpg (73 KB, 463x526)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2002672
take the front rack pill and strap one of these >>2002673 or a bag on it. I don't get the point of panniers when the superior front rack exists
>>
>>2002675
some front rack setups ride like absolute shit
>>
>>2002676
skil issu
>>
File: RFP_5790.jpg (553 KB, 2048x1365)
553 KB
553 KB JPG
Is Crust becoming more popular? Who are the people buying these when All-City still exists, and Wilde is a much better option?
>>
>>2002675
>>2002673

I used to have a milk crate but it was just too heavy. Do you think any generic wire basket, eg from a dollar store, is adequate?
>>
what's the point of frames that hit you in the balls? why doesnt everyone ride some variation of dutch?
>>
>>2002697
Not worth the response to this bait.
>>
>>2002697
traditional double diamond shape frame is very strong, meaning it can be made light

step throughs are heavy
>>
>>2002699
not bait, I just dont get why you'd give up comfort

>>2002700
i dont think I can care about weight when I have to lug around 2kg of bike lock and several kg of backpack on the lightest, and a kg of tools and spare tube
>>
>>2002706
I don't get more comfort by having more room between my balls and the top tube. I don't get off my bike frequently.
If you live in a hilly area a stiffer bike is better at transferring power, a lighter bike travels up the hill quicker.
Both of these don't matter in flat land.

I have only hit my balls once, and that was offroading. Every other time I have been fine, if I am traversing terrain that's bad I just take the mtb, which has 6+inches between my taint and the toptube.
>>
>>2002697
youre supposed to sit on the saddle nigga
>>
Does standing up all day affect my cycling negatively? Never thought of it but during weekends I don't stand up when I am doing things like at work and mondays are my best when I ride on the bike like both energy and no muscle soreness
>>
>>2002722
It's a common technique to coax out the very last bit of recovery: Deloading your legs completely for a day before a race.
But: In day to day life it's recovery in general. Monday morning always is your fastest day when you commute and stayed mostly off the bike during the weekend. It's just recovery.
>>
>>2002680
Crust is a bit more out there in colourway options and provide cantis too. They’re more in the alt space than All-City and Wilde.
The bike in the pic is an absolute abortion though, I don’t believe they thought it looked good. Nothing matches or aligns.
>>
My seat tube is 29.6mm
Will a 30mm clamp do the job without shimming?
>>
>>2002742
Probably, and if not use a soda can shim.
>>
what kind of lunatic invented cantilever brakes
like, you look at v-brakes and think "this is a logical solution to the problem presented", easy to set up and easy to service
cantis are anything but, harder to make and use more material
>>
>>2002745
Cantilever brakes applies more even left-right pressure across the pads than v-brakes, which frequently lose their left-right balance
>>
>>2002681
>dollar store
if it feels solid go for it, but dollar store stuff is usually flimsy.
the basket I use, however, is the cheapest shelf-organizer type of basket that I found on scamazon and it's rock steady
>>
>>2002669
Those aren’t fender mounts and that’s not a racing bike.
>>
>>2002680
All city does not still exist
>>
>>2002745
V-brakes were invented after cantis because of those issues.
>>
i now have 14km commute. how do i prepare? i have patch kit and spare tube, tires are pretty beat with cracks, could duct tape help if it fucks?
I'm assuming fixing wheels is not duable.
what about rain protection? it rains a lot.
maybe any other stuff I should have?
>>
File: 1712078447507695.jpg (66 KB, 700x704)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>2002680
>when All-City still exists
Is this some kind of trick to make me like them because I never did and now you went and did it
>>
I am planning to add a larger cassette on my bike and I can't find any specification about the length of the chain my bike has right now. Should I need to add anything on the new chain or cut it into size after? I am kinda lost
>>
File: IMG_6195.jpg (192 KB, 1100x953)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>2002835
Depends on how much bigger your cassette will be. Usually chains are sized so when in the bigest chainring and biggest gear, the derailleur is stretched out like picrel. If you fit a bigger cassette, you’ll probably find that the chain is now too short, which can reduce it’s life. In that case, you’d need to buy a new chain and chain tool to cut it to the right size and join it.

Look at the park tool chain length video.
>>
got on my bike today and didn't notice till like 5 minutes later but my tube was fully flat, in thought it burst or something, so I take the wheel off and its completely fine. did someone prank me and let all the air out or is there some scenario where all the air can just leave which I can't think of? its a preset and it had the cap on. maybe I didn't screw the nipple hard enough?
>>
>>2002838
>If you fit a bigger cassette, you’ll probably find that the chain is now too short, which can reduce it’s life
yeah, and if you shift a chain that's too short for the big cog, it'll rip the fucking derailleur off.
>>2002835
if you don't already have a long cage derailleur, you might need to get one. if the cage is too short for the big cog, it won't wrap around all the way and it makes noise
>>
>>2002838
>>2002848
Okay the bike I bought has a Shimano GRX RD-RX812 11-S derailleur with a 11-42T and I plan to switch it for a 11-46T just to have a bit easier on the climbs.
Still waiting for the bike and the cassette
>>
>>2002866
ok, did you want us to google the specs for you?
paste it on into google, the spec sheet will say the max tooth count
>>
File: IMG-20240611-WA0001.jpg (3.74 MB, 3840x2160)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
>>2002406
Now what?
>>
>>2002882
Wait for your new boyfriend to show up
>>
I've heard somewhere that around 90s-00s, when people started reducing spoke counts, they split into two camps- one group went 36-28, and other, which eventually won out, went 32-32. I know that the split was largely geographical, but I don't remember which went which way, and I want to remember which ones went with 36-28.
>>
Hubs are internationally sourced and rims are easily drilled to whatever hole count is desired at manufacture, and spokes are pretty much always customized and finished at a local level, there’s never been a mass incompatibility between hub hole count and rim drilling patterns, you can get a 36h rim just as easily today as you could 20 years ago (a matching hub would be the tricky part, are probably the right rabbit-hole to go down since hubs dictated spoke count more than rims ever did)
>>
>>2002882
buy a kickstand
>>
any recs on good value light rim brake wheels? i think i should upgrade my stock cannondale ones, running 25-622
>>
>>2002998
used campagnolo, or mavic wheels. Shimano dura ace stuff can be found cheap too.
>I want new
something from aliexpress. If you go carbon get new pads.
>>
File: ezgif-6-e8876cddc5.png (1.74 MB, 1000x1500)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB PNG
>>2002998
i would get c24s or the ultegra version
>>
>>2003000
i feel like it's hard to trust second hand in my area, people set unrealistically high prices and the rims are probably worn
>>2003008
is the benefit worth that kind of money? i only have a caad optimo 4 with claris. pic related is very nice btw.
>>
spending money to upgrade your legacy brakes bike seems like such a weird strategy but I like weird. it's like keeping the B52 running after 75 years of service
>>
>>2003025
Shimano released Dura-Ace 9200 with rim brake calipers and levers. Rim isn’t dead, it’s in the pro peleton.
>>
Can I make DIY resin brake pads out of epoxy? I mean, I know I can, but would they even work?
>>
>>2003026
the only reason any brakes other than rim brakes are in the pro peloton are sponsors trying to sell disc brakes to consoomers
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-gear/pogacars-former-teammate-reveals-why-world-no-1-used-rim-brakes-for-so-long/
>inb4 "the guy at my bike shop said the disc was better"
300g is over half a pound, that's another water bottle
>>
>>2003040
>>2003026
>buy rim brakes, you wouldn't want people to think you're larping as a pro would you!??!!?
>buy dick brakes, you wouldn't want people to think you're larping as a pro would you!??!!?
unracerism is mental illness
>>
Are litelocks (X1 or X3) worth it for a city commuter? There's a point where no matter how durable your lock it, the bike rack you lock it to will be the weakest link. Do bike thieves even bother with angle grinding the whole bike rack off?
>>
File: IMG_5731.jpg (25 KB, 474x495)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2003043
Curious how you can read an innocuous conversation about bicycle technology and come to that conclusion. Perhaps it is yourself with the mental illness.
>>
>virtually no-maintainence, easy to work on, cheap bike to leave in the garage for visitors at your house to ride with you to the liquor store
What would accomplish this?
>>
>>2003053
Even a department store bike will do this. QR on the seatpost so at least they can fit the bike quickly.
>>
>>2003053
90's mtb
>>2003019
Worn rims are identified by if there is a concave surface on the rim. Also check for cracks there, or on the spoke eyelets.
TBQH at your bike level even cheaper dt swiss wheelsets may be an upgrade.
>>
File: IMG_6199.jpg (109 KB, 470x470)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>2002998
I use AlexRims ALX265, set up tubeless wit GraveKing Slick 32c. 17mm inner width. It’s a good value wheelset, worth a look.
>>
>>2003053
90’s mtb and $800 of parts that weren’t needed
>>
>>2003053
>>virtually no-maintainence, easy to work on, cheap bike to leave in the garage for visitors at your house to ride with you to the liquor store
If you put proper effort into overhauling a bike and setting it up well, it will be low-maintenance and easy to work on and easy to ride for casuals.
But if you're lazy from the start and want to continue to be lazy how will that even work dude

>liquor store
something with a basket. Best way to do it is to get swept bars with a forward bit that's away from your cables to attach a basket directly to. Helps if you re-cable to do this neatly. And support from below with a rack.
>>
>>2002767
wtf are you even talking about ? that was just an example and then i said there's a spectrum of bikes between that and a loaded tourer.
>>
>>2003076
You’re right in that you can build a bombproof bike out of basically anything if you know what you’re doing, but if he truly is lazy and wants to continue to be lazy, there’s always fixed gear
>>
>>2002882
>Now what?
Dead tree falls on you whilst you sleep :(
>>
I hit 210 BPM on my chest strap heart rate monitor and I’m 30 am I gonna die
>>
File: cheek.jpg (59 KB, 619x469)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
wot tires should I get for commuting and long (80+ mi) rides on the weekends? I have shitty bontrager h2 comp tires that came with my bike. 700x38C max. hate punctures btw
>>
>>2003102
Gatorskins or Shikoros
>>
>>2003102
bontragers tend to flat more then other road tires.... according to the internets.
I would look at a similar size tire with a training emphasis in the marketing, or "all season".
Stuff like a conti 4 seasons, Pirelli cintruato, vittoria zaffiro, and others.
If you want max protection I like gatorskins(can't remember the last puncture in like 5000+miles over a couple years) and specialized armadillos/all seasons.
I find the specialized grip a little better and inflate to a larger size.

The gatorskin and specialized armadillo have been made in a similar iteration for 20+years and have stayed around for a reason.
>>
>>2003102
Are you in a puncture prone area?
Try Shikoros. Supple, big, tough.
If your bike fits 38's you should ride 38's for sure.
>>
File: Pizza Rack.jpg (86 KB, 736x552)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Looking for a front rack. Needs:
>Pannier mounts
>flat top to strap shit to, likely a milk crate when I'm not touring
>Less than $75

First thought was a Specialized Pizza rack (picrel). The wide top looks pretty nifty for just bungee cording shit to the front. Laundry, groceries, tents and sleeping bags.

But then I wondered if the wide top platform would even be that useful? It looks like it would get caught on doors and shit often, I bring my bike in and out of a 1 story apartment.

So I found another rack on Aliexpress. Helluva lot cheaper (how hard is it to make a strong non-adjustable rack?) and similar functionality, just without the wide top. See my follow up post

Anyways, is the wide top of the pizza rack really more helpful? Seems like if i miss it I could always bolt a board of wood down. I don't see myself using it touring, only for in town errands. If both these racks look dumb, anyone got more recommendations?

My bike is a Poseidon Redwood BTW, which has all the faggy bikepacking rack points. Compatibility isn't a concern.
>>
File: front rack.png (564 KB, 463x458)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
>>2003134
picrel is the aliexpress rack
>>
>>2003134
I don't have any suggestions for you, but keep in mind with a rack like that specialized if you bungee cord something to it the cords can slip around a lot since there's nothing stopping the hooks from sliding the whole length of the rack.
>>
>>2003137
Werd, my rear rack is like that but I don't really have that issue. I just put one hook in the junction of the tubes and spiral it around my package, hook into the opposite junction.
>>
>>2003140
As long as the bungee is tight it can hold well. Also if the package is kinda grippy that will help.
>>2003134
No idea. I would get the cheap one and bolt plywood down if you need a wider platform.
>>
File: anchorpoints.jpg (144 KB, 736x552)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>2003137
skill issue, I have a very similar rack and there's solid anchor points that I circled in red. Circled in yellow are also anchor points but requires the correct approach angle. You're right though more anchor points would be better in that rack, mine has about twice as many achor points.
>>
>>2003142
also, I forgot to mention a protip. The trick is to hook the bungee diagonally
>>
>>2003102
for all the people citing gatorskins etc, I'd add basic green guard Marathons to that list. I daily commuted on one pair for over five years without a flat and they'd corner leaned over as far as I could lean with my knee all the way in the turn.
I'm riding Pasela PTs now and they're good but I'm not daily commuting anymore . there's not really flat protection but I'm good at reading the road and avoiding them so hard to say how they compare exactly
>>
>>2003136
this definitely *looks* legit and probably is. looks like a knockoff Surly Nice rack, which is what I ride and would be my recommendation except it doesn't fit your price.
>>
>>2003102
Marathon Plus, you can even pair them with light inner tubes and not need to worry about flats
>>
>>2003154
>>2003151
Yeah marathons are like another level of puncture protection.
>>
My bike has an issue when I put it on a repair stand and fiddle with the shifting and the indexes everything seems normal, smooth going up and down the cogs but when I ride the bike the 2nd and hardest gear skips as soon I try to ride fast if.
I have switched chains, I have switched with another cassette. What is going on?
>>
>>2003157
You have play in the freehub/axle or you have flex in the chainstay. The smallest gears are where you feel it because of trigonometry
>>
>>2003158
How can I fix this?
>>
my brand new tube is letting out air overnight.
can prestapresta valves be fixed? maybe I didn't close it hard enough? how hard can it stand?
same tube on the other wheel is fine
>>
>>2003195
a normal black rubber byutl tube?
there is the possibility that the valve isn't seated in the post thing. modern presta valves not only have the knurled round end that lets air in, but the whole thing screws down into the post with tiny wrench flats next to the air valve screw down thing. once you know it's there you can usually get it screwed down tight enough with your fingers. if not, I don't think they make wrenches that small, you need an adjustable wrench I guess.

or, you caught a slow leak when you were riding it. you need a patch kit, there's directions online, the op links are good. for a tiny hole you may have to submerge it in the sink or tub and look for tiny bubbles
>>
>>2003157
sounds like the frame is flexing. finish the barrel adjustment while on an actual ride. the unweighted bike in the stand isn't adjusted for riding conditions.
>>
>>2003197
there are definitely no leaks, I thought it burst but then I inflated it and it was fine and I got confused

not sure what you mean about the valve, its all metal and the tip should be pretty tight
>>
>>2003200
they're called removable core. you may not have them but if it has the wrench flats at the end by the valve like the pic, then it may not be screwed down all the way.

if it's not that, then either you have a slow leak or someone pranked you and let the air out. if it went flat, it IS one of the three.
>>
>>2003202
oh, so theres like a rubber ball on the end
i can probably screw it tighter
>>
>>2003198
I tried it and still getting the last gear to just slip, like it's not jumping up or now but when I ramp up the crank shaft it starts to skip, if I just do regular strokes it is fine and won't skip but then I can't get more speed
>>
>>2003203
Correct. If you use pliers just don't go crazy tight.
>>
>>2003206
check your bottom bracket bearings and wheel axle bearings, might be worth checking out, any kind of play perpendicular to the direction of travel needs correction.
>>
Best rim brake pads for carbon rim on Aliexpress?
>>
>>2003206
sorry, but is this a shifting issue or is this the chain skipping teeth on the gear it's in?
what you describe is very similar to that, which would mean the chain is worn out and stretched, needs replacement.

I've ridden a chain with such a problem. you could spin but it would slip when you laid down power. not to another gear, though. the shifting was fine.
sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
>>
>>2003221
anon said in a previous post that they replaced the chain and cassette
>>
>>2003206
Chainrings in okay shape?
If it's an old road bike make sure the QR is tight enough. When mine wasn't it would shift gears on me.
Still, not your issue but if the drivetrain is good, and the frame is staying stiff I can't explain it unless your chain is catching on something.
>>
>>2003208
I will do that after work
>>2003221
No worries it's always helpful giving your insight and experience of troubles and problems, maybe someone else experiences your past issue and will reach out but in my case it is not the same
>>2003224
I had my local bike shop get me a new one but still the same issue with the hardest gear slipping as soon as I ramp up, every other gear works flawlessly. It's really weird but I pitched the idea that another anon had about frame flexing and the shop said it could be the issue but still surprised it only happens to the hardest gear
>>
Is there any inexpensive tools or gear I can buy to add on my bike to get info about how fast, how much power I deliver or use for the bike? Most things youtubers recommend seem to cost almost as much as an entry to mid level bike
>>
>>2002593
not him but should I upgrade my 105s into GRX600? or shell out some more cash for the 800?
>>
any Italian here that commutes to work with a bike? i tried it for a week and i got immediately reprimanded by my boss
i got told that it would have made the company look bad and that my colleague would start ridiculing me, also that i could hurt myself and be absent from work
also, the usual drivers trying to kill you
>>
I want to take apart my RD and clean it. What type of grease should I be using on the parts that need it?
>>
>>2003154
>Marathon Plus
is them being very difficult to install a meme?
>>
>>2003266
i had the regular marathons on my beater bike and they were the easiest tire i've ever installed.
>>
>>2003250
That would be a stupid waste of money if you have modern 105
>>
File: 1000010083.gif (824 KB, 260x195)
824 KB
824 KB GIF
>>2003254
Hmmm grow a spine?
>>
How important is having suspension on a bike you're mainly riding around the city (also for very light off roading if you're going through a park), albeit a city with a lot of potholes and uneven sidewalks?
How good and heavy are suspension seats?
>>
>>2003282
is there no difference? I have a mix of 105 R7000 STI and GRX400 everything else.
>>
>>2003284
suspension is generally considered a disadvantage for that type of riding.
never tried a suspension saddle; it's easy enough to unweight the saddle when going over rough patches.
>>
>>2003254
Unless he threatens to fire you don't bother caring. Wild to me considering how deep the italians were into making cycling products.

>>2003284
Just get a bike with 2.0/50mm tire size clearence.
You only want suspension for mountain biking, HORRIFIC roads with no possible larger tires, or long tours on damn bad roads.
>>
>>2003283
you can't grow a sine against getting fired
if i kept using my bike i would get fired and in Italy that's justifiable
>>2003290
>Wild to me considering how deep the italians were into making cycling products
as a sport
most people here use the car even if they work 1 km from home. Its a status thing
A good friend of mine didn't pass a job interview for an office job with the local transport company because the interview found out he would have come by bus (their own line)
>>
>>2003291
sigh
status really is everything for society.
>>
>>2003290
>2.0/50mm tire size clearence.
That’s width? I want to keep the weight down aren’t those going to amke the bike heavier? But by how much?
>>
>>2003298
Yeah it's width. Larger tires function as "suspension".
Remember, you don't have to run bigger/wider tires, but the option is nice if you need to do off road, or bad city roads.

I run some lightweight 2.0 tires and they soak up pretty much any normal road imperfection I find.
>>
>>2003266
No, they legitimately have the stiffest bead of any tire I've ever tried to fit and then getting it to seat properly on the lip of the rim took about a quarter cup of soap, a few new blisters on my palms, and an hour of swearing. I'm told cinching a spare toe strap on the tire can but you a little slack and make it easier, but I only have clipless pedals so no toe straps. If you have a buddy who's seated dirt bike tires, give him a call and case of beer or something to help you out. Your local bike store repair counter can also do it for you, and it's a tedious enough job that they won't even question why you didn't do it yourself.
>>
>>2003284
I wouldn't even want a suspension fork for that. Total waste.
>>
>>2003284
front suspension is unnecessary just get bigger tires
sprung saddles are based
>>
>>2003298
here are some examples

gravel king slick - 700c
32mm - 360g
50mm - 640g
+560g

enve AR disc - 450g
surly straggler - 1150g

fox explore 32 - 1214g (+64g or +764g)
rockshox rudy 1300g (+150g or +850g
rock shox SID 1481g ( +331g +1031g)
SRsuntour SF17 1866g (+716g or 1416g)
>>
this kind of pump okay for home pumping? its around 6 bucks
>>
>>2003333
Maybe. Just make sure it fits your bikes tube/valve whether it's shrader or presta.
Then make sure it can go high enough. That pump would be bad for small road tires needing 100+psi
>>
>>2003334
my tires are old as fuck 700x38c, im scared of inflating them higher than 60psi. it says on it 50-75
>>
>>2003336
Should be fine
>>
>>2003337
fuck. the one in the store has no presta. fuck presta seriously.
>>
>>2003340
They do make adapters, I think.
>>
>>2003291
Obviously Italy is a shithole, walk up to the guy and tell him he can dictate your commute if he pays you for it, and be ready to leave lmao
Are jobs that hard to come by in europe
>>
>>2003258
I don't think it matters. usually the difference between greases is so heat doesn't melt them when the bearings are going at various rpms. but no bike parts spin fast enough to need anything but the lowest tier grease so literally all of them work, and since the rd doesn't even have bearings, it's a non issue. I just use the cheap automotive grease for everything. some anons rec marine grease for better water resistance if you have a commuter or something.
>>
>>2003298
this nigga talking about suspension forks and posts and he's worried about TIRES?
dumbass, I assure you there's not a bike tire in the world that weighs more than a fucking sus fork.
>>
>>2003345
DH-casing 29” assegai is only 100g off of a Fox 32 TC
>>
>>2003340
most bike shops have a jar of brass presta-to-schrader adapters next to the register. in the us at least. they're like a buck and you can thread your keyring through it so you always have it.
presta is a much better valve. anyway, , you can obtain an adapter somewhere, I'm sure.

also, the pic you posted, that pump has two valve holes on the head, which is usually presta and Schrader but I think Netherlands uses Dunlop?
>>
>>2003258
I prefer to just lube the pivots if they are stiff.
Otherwise leave em alone.
The bearings/bushings on the pulleys I grease.
>>2003346
god I bet those are slow on pavement with a soft compound.
>>
>>2003346
still lighter.
so he can spend $200 for a set of tires with huge knobs that won't help on roads or $950 on a fork that is only good for hardcore offroad that's 100g heavier anyhow.
ok.
>>
>>2003351
The fork has a very effective lockout and it’s only downside on roads is that fact that it’s 1250g and a carbon rigid fork is like 600g
>>
>>2003285
It's not that theirs no difference, it's that the difference would be very minimal and you already have nice high tier components. If everything is working well, ditching current-generation 105 for something barely-better would be dumbo. But it's your money my dude.
>>
>>2003333
Technically yes but brother let me tell you those pumps are fucking nightmares. I've never had one that wasn't shit to use and fragile. For how often you pump up bike tires I'd at least get a cheap floor pump over that. You can probably buy a used one for <$20
>>
>>2003314
Fuck this saddle
>>
>>2003356
I mean, thats good to know I guess, but you keep reinforcing my point.
>>2003298 he can just spend $75-ish on a set of good road slicks that are 40mm or more wide and get all the shock protection that he needs that way
>>
File: cane creek eeslik.jpg (142 KB, 493x1279)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
Is this the lightest seat post WITH suspension (350 grams).?
>>
>>2003348
the one in the pic does, but the one in a different store only had car type.
i dont think I seen any adapters, might buy one on ali or something.
presta experience for me has bee real annoying so far. it feels way too fragile to deal with.
>>
>>2003358
floorpump as in the one you hold with your feet and its a tube?
didn't see any with gauges so I was looking at that one
>>
>>2003369
probably.
more importantly, the cane creek ones are usually mentioned as the only sus posts that actually work. this was with regard to the thudbusters but this weight weenie version seems to be just another iteration of such.

so if there is a lighter one out there, it probably sucks in comparison. I wonder if there's any decent chink clones, though?
>>
>>2003369
I kind of wanted to get one of those until I realized it would make me look like a fat boomer and I'm already a lycra fred riding a bike far better than I deserve so it's gonna be more ass rape for me. I'm a tremendous faggot anyway, so I should just get used to it
>>
>>2003374
>it would make me look like a fat boomer
how?
>>
File: 20231202_040948.jpg (2.91 MB, 4080x3060)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>2003369
I use one. Doing about 50 miles 3 times a week on 23mm tires and it soaks it up good.
Mine is the eesilk+ and I wouldn't get the less suspension one.
If you have a 27.2 seatpost then look for used carbon seatpost near you.
On a modern bike you have more seatpost then I do exposed, and those carbon ones really soak up a bit of road vibration and impact.
Setup is pretty similar to this old photo.
>>2003374
I still pass people, but my hair is long, I wear a t-shirt, bibs/bike shorts, and a camelback.
I already look retarded.
>>
File: not mine but similar.jpg (153 KB, 1110x716)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>2003378
My bike is a city-hybrid one though, just looking too make my bike very light while still having the comfort of suspension
>>
>>2003393
ehhh I would just get something cheap(er), like the suntour suspension seatpost then.
The cane creek one is spendy
>>
I'm a sweaty person, in particular on my forehead. I'm looking for sunglasses that can deal with that somehow and not have sweat dripping down on the lenses. Are there any glasses out there that are made with this in mind?
>>
>>2003395
>800 gram
I am looking for something LIGHTER not heavier
>>
>>2003398
And I am saying you have your priorities wrong.
Lightweight city-hybrid? This is an oxymoron. Just run a road bike for lightweight.
Just run a carbon post
>my butt hurts
cope and stand.
Or get bigger tires.
>>
>>2003378
How do you keep your pants from getting caught in the wheel/gear?
>>
>>2003299
I've been watching some vids and 50 seems like pretty thick tires, how are something like 30mm ones? Also do trek mtb from the 90s support 28inch wheels?
>>2003324
So the middle ones are frame and tires, and the last section is suspension forks, but why two numbers?
>>
anyone try these? seems like good deal
>>
>>2003428
some guy on the internet tried them and said they had some kind of design or QA flaw, but if you got a good one they were about as good as the expensive ones from yuropean brand
>>
>>2003401
Not him but I don't get why city bikes are so fucken heavy to begin with, so city hybrids should just be a light road bike with the extra city features added.
>>
>>2003443
I can't say besides they are cheap bikes, or they are designed for hauling shit around.
>>2003411
I don't wear loose pants. Or put the right pant leg in your long socks.
>>2003413
I wouldn't go much smaller then 35mm. Just not much of a benefit.
>>
>>2003428
I've got some TPU tubes from China ebay and so far so good anon. They roll a little better than butyl and are probably a bit tougher against punctures.
They're almost as good as latex, but way cheaper, so definitely worth trying out imo.
>>
File: chadcruiser.jpg (652 KB, 1800x1350)
652 KB
652 KB JPG
>>2003443
the high mass is a feature, not a bug. Pedal a cruiser like 5 times and it holds its momentum for the next block or two
>>
>>2003413
The middle are rigid carbon and steel forks the two number are the respective weight penalty of switching to suspension from said forks
If you have a steel fork the increased weight of a gravel suspension fork is negligible
>>
shame is blocking me from commuting to work
knowing that all those in a car are mocking me and my coworkers are mocking me and my parents pity me
they ask if i got my license removed, if i can't afford a car
they treat me like a hobo and pity me if i bike under the rain
sure im soft and a pussy for caring about the opinions of others, thats a trait im trying to change.. but at the same time, how soft are they that they think a little bit of exercise or inconvenience deserves pity?
>>
is chain waxing a meme? I'm planning on melting pure paraffin candles, anything else to keep in mind?
>>
>>2003469
Thanks for the numbers it's a good concrete example. It doesn't seem like the penalty is all that bad, but how good are the lighter weight suspensions?
>If you have a steel fork the increased weight of a gravel suspension fork is negligible
What about aluminium forks?
>>
>>2003469
>If you have a steel fork the increased weight of a gravel suspension fork is negligible
that's bullshit lol.
Your high spec gravel suspension fork weight is 1200-1400 g

a nice steel fork can 600g
>>
>>2003478
I only use the freddest of bicycle-specific fred wax products, I've heard candles are usually not pure paraffin and besides powders of questionable safety profile might make a difference

my floor has been a lot cleaner since I switched fwiw
>>
>>2003482
yeah cleanliness sounds nice, one of the reasons I'm looking into it, dunno what powders you talking about
I'm gonna try with the candles anyway, if it doesn't go right I'll think about buying freddy waxes
>>
want to buy chain and quick links but got stumped. i have 8 in the back but 3 in the front, do i still buy the 6-7-8?
>>
>>2003481
thats bullshit
>>
>>2003483
by powders I mean the tungsten trioxide added by the fred brands. or the teflon shit fred DIYers used to add before everyone realized all the teflon in our system was why most guys these days are experiencing recurring intrusive thoughts of wanting to be a girl. so now it's tungsten and lifting heavy weights to make the thoughts go away
>>
>>2003488
oh sorry it's disulfide not trioxide, as you can see I am no chemist
>>
>>2003455
That's nice and all but aside from a few roads, most places aren't straight lines here so I'd rather have a light bike
>>
>>2003488
>>2003489
oh i see, I'm not messing with any powders, if paraffin's lacking I'll just go with some brand wax, is there anything else about the process other than dunking a cleaned chain into molten wax?
>>
>>2003494
yeah you need to strip off the factory grease on your new chain, because it will keep the paraffin from sticking. you then need to remove the stripping agent with boiling water. you can just towel dry the chain after the water, and then slow cook it in hot wax to steam off the moisture. use a meat probe to keep the shit from burning since shitty $20 amazon slow cookers can sometimes get pretty hot. keep the stripper in a bottle for the next round, you'll need it

the first 20 miles or so, your chain will be a little stiff, so backlash will be increased if you have a typical modern bike with a long-cage derailleur and a big heavy cassette. just be mindful of that and miles 21 through 200 will be very nice. I have yet to go over 200 miles on a wax, I keep 2chainz in rotation

they say the wax lasts for like 10k miles and so far I believe it. for this reason I didn't see the point of messing with DIY wax since I would rather just get it done right the first time, but if experimentation is your thing you should make a thread about it after collecting anecdotes (aka "data" in internet arguments)
>>
Is there such thing as an SPD shoe that is really walkable, as in suited for an entire day of walking cross coubtry without fucking up your feet ? If so which is it ?
>inb4
Asking specifically because I do not want to always carry spare shoes. But so far I had no luck with shoes that work on and off the bike. Traction is usually good enough. Most of the time its blisters, subungual haematomae etc.
>>
>>2003497
I'm putting it on a used chain, we'll see how that turns out; thanks for advice
>>
File: IMG_2711.jpg (829 KB, 1280x800)
829 KB
829 KB JPG
>>2003499
There are hybrid bike packing shoes with cleats
If just use flat pedal tho
>>
>>2003503
Yeah but do they work well when walking. I jad two or so pairs of 'that kind' of shoe and turns out those that I had cause issues for the feet after a few days.
Not sure what you mean about flat pedals ? I just stick to PD-M520 ever since.
>>
What crank set is lighter than FC-RX810-1?
>>
File: wax melter.png (482 KB, 800x800)
482 KB
482 KB PNG
>>2003478
No, not a meme. Get a depilation wax heater, it's the perfect tool for this job and insanely cheap. Just toss yer mum's candle leftovers into it, let it all melt and toss a fresh chain in, factory lube and all, it'll all mix into the wax. Let it cook for 10 minutes, stir well to get it everywhere (use disposable chopsticks), then hook the ends with small hooks and hang the chain over the heater to let it all drip off. Put the heater away and reuse the wax next time.
>>
>>2003485
Your chain is regulated by what the cassette is. So you probably have an 8 speed chain
>>
>>2003481
A modern gravel steel fork with cargo mounts is easily over 1000
>>
>>2003411
Roll your right pants leg up over your calf. If you can't, they're not loose enough to be an issue.
>>
>>2003470
Nobody is thinking about you after they can't see you, and the people in cars weren't thinking about you as a person to begin with.
>>
>>2003470
you've got to stop caring bout what others think, and make that a priority, you're literally living in a prison of your own making
>>
File: seats.jpg (137 KB, 1190x791)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Anyone have any experience with these seats?
>>
>>2003520
so its not just the length?
also do i need the tool to shorten it either way?
>>
>>2003493
>>2003455

not to mention it only works on a flat, and is inversely proportionately slower uphill.
save that shit for Florida
>>
File: 23_H2_LEV_NB_BLOG_D_2-1.jpg (577 KB, 1680x2100)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
>>2003504
with flat pedals you can wear whatever shoes you want
>>
>>2003478
you can get pure parafin blocks at the supermarket. the aisle with the baking and spices has mason jars for home pickling and the wax is to seal the jars. the brand in the US is Gulf wax and super cheap.
I tried waxing but gave it up, doesn't last as long as oil and wiping the chain down after oiling keeps it clean for a long enough time
>>
>>2003543
>do i need the tool to shorten it either way
yep
>>
>>2003396
just wear a sweatband, that's literally what they're for.
>>
>>2002774
no, they where invented because of suspension forks, cantis need a point on the frame to pull the brakepads towards eachother, while vbrakes are independent
>>
>>2003551
There were plenty of cantilever suspension forks, it was switched for tire clearance and outright power
>>
>>2003545
Is this frank ocean???
>>
File: 1718369506756193s.jpg (2 KB, 125x93)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>2003470
Hmmm grow a spine?
>>
>>2003499
Spd shoes are the best bet, but they'll always be worse than regular shoes at least by a little bit
>>
File: IMG_20240608_212720.jpg (2.45 MB, 4160x3120)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>2002745
huh? what's difficult about cantilever?
i figured it out after one short parktool video and its my first bike with brakes
>>
>>2003374
Don't be so insecure, but also it's a pretty subtle thing most people would not notice
>>
>>2003567
Thanks for your cute anecdote. Regardless, a v brake is still simpler
>>
>>2003375
How does a suspension seatpost make you look like a fat boomer? Really?

>>2003378
I look pretty dweeby but I like to think it's in an approachable way
>>
>>2003358
I would recommend not cheaping out on a pump. I bought a shitty specialized pump when I got my first big boy bike (presta) and I've been dealing with the shittiness for years. Every time I use a real pump I'm blown away by how nice it is but it just seems wasteful to toss this thing. In the meantime I've spent well over $10k on bike stuff but I'm still struggling with a shitty pump because I feel guilty about tossing it in the trash

tl;dr you'll use it often, buy once cry once
>>
>>2003596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
>>
the toonchi lmao
>>
Taking the rack off my gravel bike I’m like goku taking off the weights
>>
Are there bicycle helmets that don't make me look like a dork and allow for ventilation while protecting your skull?
>>
>>2003653
Unlikely as they're mostly built for lightness and convenience. Try a motorcycle helmet if you want more coverage of your face though I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about the body unfortunately
>>
>>2003653
For safety you should just use a good helm and not care
>>
>>20035 well yeah that's the point. I tried all kinds of SPD shoes and in my experience they vary alot. There are SPD shoes that have little to no value as a shoe over some SPD-SL shoes. So intuition tells me there must be a polar opposite to the spectrum, the SPD shoe that is almost as good as any hiking boot.
Anyone know of any ?
>>2003545
should have been more extensive with my inb4
>inb4 meme pedals only good enough for people who will just hop on a train or other motorvehicle whenever they want to go far
>>
>>2003673
People have ridden further on flats than you will ever ride.
Trail shoes weigh virtually nothing like 400g for a pair, you won't find clipless shoes you can walk in their built for two different things
>>
Any thoughts on cro-moly vs aluminium? I keep hearing diverging opinions on which is more stiff or lasts more or is more comfortable.
>>
>>2003681
You hear a lot of mixed opinions because frame properties like comfort is largely a geometry thing more than material choice. There's also the fact that steel is a higher tensile strength material and more material needs to be used with aluminum to achieve the same load strength leading to a stiffer frame. Now there's inherent pros and cons to the material itself like how cro-moly has the corrosion flaw and aluminum is resistant to corrosion but has the fatigue limit flaw. It's better to approach the subject looking at individual bikes, their geometries, and consider how the bike will be used but that's less of a clear cut answer that brings the "expert" statement everyone hates hearing, "it depends."
>>
>>2003683
That's basically what I've heard in other places.
>corrosion flaw
How much of an issue is this really given the frames are painted?
How much is fatigue limit a problem, it sounds like it could sneak up on you and you'd get hurt really badly.
I don't have a choice anymore but was looking at a cromoly bike which got sold before I could get to it so not I'm going for an aluminium one, so was wondering how much the things I was reading about were true.
>>
You're confusing strength and elasticity half way through >>2003683 this. Nothing out of the ordinary, this board is very consistent when it comes to refusing to understand or think about anything engineering related while at the same time never keeping quiet about it.
Lomg story short: For a given geometry and strength (ommit wall thickness please it's miniscule in relation to overall geometry) you can derive a good predictor of 'comfort' or 'stiffness' by looing at the ratio of modulus of elasticity and yield strength. This should be self evident.
>>
>>2003686
>How much of an issue is this really given the frames are painted
it's not. a lot of stupid people who have never had a steel frame like to bring it up as their reason for steel's inferiority.
just don't store it outside every day and if you do, put it under something or put a tarp over. if you live in the desert do whatever . getting caught in the rain isn't bad, per sé, just bounce the tires to shake it off, take it inside and wipe down the chain and relube. it's neglect that rusts a frame out, constantly getting rained on and left to sit.

you can also use rust spray inside the tubes or run boiled linseed oil through them, but if you don't ride in the rain then that's probably overkill. for a commuter or something, yeah may as well it's easy and cheap
>>
>>2003689
>for a commuter or something, yeah may as well it's easy and cheap
What the alu? I mean it's actually more expensive in this case but I have no choice lol
>>
>>2003692
what? no, if you ride in the rain, maybe service the interior tubes as noted .
none of my post concerns aluminum at all
>>
>>2003693
ah ok, yeah it was meant to be a commuter bike, but will not be going with cromoly now cause there is no option
>>
>>2003694
the buying thread, /bbg/, is pretty good at finding bikes if you haven't tried them already
>>
>>2003695
I'm not in the states, and just within my city I think I'm looking in the places where people post most of the time. They've also not been very helpful so far. Might ask the people at the local bike shop or group cycling club.
>>
>>2003674
I highly doubt that.
>>
I am worried I might have bought a bad cassette to replace my stock one with. How reliable are Sunrace?
>>
>>2003689
I feel like its worth adding that
- aluminium too does corrode. Different. But does.
- 50 year old frames, some of them filled with rust, still ride. I've cut some up to see myself.
- marine environments kill everything, steel, stainless steel, aluminium... it probably accelerates by an order of magnitude. If you're living in such environment you know that and you know what to do.
- similarly during winter, if the cagers throw salt everywhere, expect to do more maintenainance. Especially after winter is over.
- design choices make a steel bike last. It's impossible to keep the water out. But one can make sure it finds its way out again.
I can only agree regarding looking after your stuff. Don't be a dick to your bike and rust is the last thing you have to worry about. It will either outlive you or a cager will wreck it.
>>
>>2003709
it's fine. I use one on a 1x10 setup since the big 2 don't make wide range cassettes.
Mine shifts just as good as the stock sram one, or other shimano ones.
>>
>>2003709
Generally decent, slapped hundreds of them on bikes as a wrench monkey, never had issues.
>>
>>2003714
>>2003716
Good to know thanks
>>
Is there a reason why my crank arms keep getting wallowed out and loose. I've had this problem on multiple bikes, I replaced them once on the bike I have right now, and like 6 months later one side has slop again. Did I just not torque it down hard enough, or is my BB fucked, or am I breaking my own bike by riding weird in some way I didn't foresee?
>>
>>2003728
Here is what you should look at
>do I have a cartridge bb
If so, then it doesn't need adjustment
If you have a lockring on the non-drive side you have a cup+cone bb and you may need to adjust it. Otherwise the whole spindle/crank can be loose and rattly.

If it's 100% just your crank arms you need to tighten it more with the crank bolt.
If you weigh over 250/300lbs you may want to get beefier crank arms like mtb versions.

I have only had one or two arms come off, and I didn't tighten them enough. When shit like that feels weird I stop, check, and if I have the tools fix+limp home.
If your bike is old walmart tier/BSO it could just be a feature
>>
>>2003731
Thanks dude.
I weigh 165 so it shouldn't be that. It's a Retrospec Amok, with a sealed cartridge BB. It was probably just not tightened down enough at the full retard bike shop I bought it from, and then when I replaced them I probably didn't torque em down hard enough. The left arm is the one coming off this time, I don't remember if it was that one last time, I think both got fucky. They always start getting a little wobbly and then get rapidly completely destroyed.
>>
>>2003728
I had this problem when I was a teenager and I thought it was fucked but I couldn't torque it enough with the big Allen wrench I was using, even jumping up and down on the wrench. I took it to someone and they just torqued it properly.
>>
>>2003737
I don't have a crank puller so I might as well just take it to trek and have them do it then I guess. I have an 80 ftlb torque wrench for my AR, that could be enough, probably, but I don't have the right attachment for that either, lol.
>>
>>2003740
If your torque wrench is set of 20-120 get an allen adapter and use that. Check online to see what most crank arms torque to. I do it by hand with a wrench.
>>
File: IMG_20240616_175629.jpg (431 KB, 1224x1224)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
Is it possible to remove stains like this on a mudguard?
>>
>>2003743
Yup. scotch brite/green scuff pad or 0000 steel wool.
I wouldn't use very light sandpaper unless the above doesn't remove it.
Don't reuse the scuff pad in the sink......
>>
>>2003744
The mudguard itself isn't made of steel though, I think it's plastic
>>
>>2003742
Thanks anon, will do. I never thought I'd end up with as many tools as I have. Now I know why my dad's garage is like this...
>>
>>2002529
*fewer teeth
>>
>>2003743
Acetone
>>
File: futurebike.jpg (630 KB, 2000x2000)
630 KB
630 KB JPG
The bike I plan to get has a profile like this and I am worried it won't be as aero as most other gravel bikes
>>
>>2003755
Aero has to do with your body position, so if you are a big guy you won't ever be as aero as a 5ft woman with a flat back.
Thus just optimize what you can do. ride in the "puppy paws", "aero hoods" or drops position with a flat back. Do some exercises working on it if you can't easily get there, or just ride longer in the aero position.
After it's easy get a longer stem, drop the stem down, or use a negative stem for more aero action.
Remember it matters the faster you go.
>>
>>2003755
>Gravel bike
>Worrying about aero
>>
People here probably have no idea, but I ask anyway.

I can buy a wheel with an internal gear hub like Shimano Alfine 11 off a marketplace for cheap. If I get myself a gravel frame what kind of issues can I run into while trying to fit the wheel into the frame? Yes, I want a gravel bike without retarded outdated derailleur.
>>
>>2003767
just wanted to be a bit faster than my current hybrid bike
>>
>>2003775
You'll be limited to frames that can take QR/solid axle wheels if you go that route, will still need a chain tensioner unless your frame has provisioning for a singlespeed setup, and the only drop bar shifter I know that works with Alfine 11 is from Microshift and only for cable-actuated brakes. Also, Shimano IGHs do need maintenance (typically an oil bath once a year) and aren't indestructible, so I'd ask questions before buying a suspiciously cheap IGH wheel, and I would only buy one if it comes with the shifter 'bell' and pushrod so you don't have to try to track down matching small parts separately since those aren't always easy to come by. If you understand all that, go for it.
>>
>>2003779
>will still need a chain tensioner unless your frame has provisioning for a singlespeed setup
I don't like this. There's not a lot of these frames and bikes right?
>>
>>2003780
I haven't done any shopping for singlespeed compatible frames in a long time, but I'm sure you can find one if you really have to have it. But to your question, yep, the vast majority of performance bikes are designed purely with derailer gearing in mind.
>>
File: big_st-s705-prawa.jpg (23 KB, 600x600)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>2003779
di2 shifters work with alfine not cheaply tho
>>
File: single-speed-dropouts.jpg (48 KB, 597x456)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2003779
>frame has provisioning for a singlespeed setup
you mean the dropouts?
I don't get how the tensioner helps.
not doubting you, I just don't get it
>>
>>2003755
looks fine to me man, just ride
>>
>>2003792
The chain needs to be under tension to operate correctly.
You need to be able to move the axle (sliding dropout) or crank (elliptical bb) to tension the chain.
In a 'normal' drivetrain the axle is fixed and the chain is tensioned by the derailleur.
You can use a device like a derailleur to tension the chain if you cannot move either the crank or axle
>>
did i fuck up by buying a narrow-wide front chainring without checking for compatibility? i thought they would be universal, but now i'm reading that most are made for 9-12speed, while i have an 8-speed drivetrain. this source says it'll be too narrow: "Multi-speed chains, from 5 to 8 speeds have an inner width of 3/32″ (2.38 mm). Multi-speed chains from 9 to 12 speeds have an inner width of 11/128″ (2.18 mm)"
>>
>>2003796
If you have a dial caliper just measure it.
>>
>>2003796
you can run a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed cassette no problem.
>>
how do i figure what size nut i need to replace a quick release thingy? i got no tools
>>
>>2003796
In my experience narrow wide rings work fine with 8 speed chains.
The chinkshit ones actually say 7-12 speed. They would have to be the narrower width to work with 12 speed.
9/10 speed regular rings also tend to work fine with 8 speed chains.
>>
File: good lad.jpg (8 KB, 229x220)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>2003731
When ridden loose, or, after multiple installs, the taper of the hole on your crank arm will deform. Eventually cranks simply wear out. You can visually inspect this.

What can then happen is that after it's installed, the crank walks further up the spindle, and that causes the bolt to lose preload.
After you install square taper crank arms, you should check the bolts are snug after 2-3 rides. Don't try to re-torque it, just check they're snug with minimal torque.
People don't understand why the bolt looses preload, and so, will try to retighten it, or, consider threadlocker, but it's actually the crank arm walking away from the bolt, not the bolt loosening, so neither of those will work.

The other key is, when you install the crank, thoroughly clean the mating surfaces and very lightly grease the mating surfaces on the axle taper and the thread of the bolt. With a non-teflon grease.
This will allow it to be installed much more thoroughly. If the taper is damaged, a reinstall, which uses a lot of torque, can usually reestablish the taper.
You then want to just use 'a lot' of torque. It's basically as hard as you can with the relatively short lever of a 3/8 ratchet or a 8mm allen key. I don't think you need a torque wrench. It's not a torque wrench application for many mechs.

Lastly you may find a better fit with the arms in different orientations, so experiment with that a little if they sit loose before install.

>>2003731
>just tighten more
awful advice.

Clean. Grease. Tighten.
>>
>>2003687
>good predictor of 'comfort' or 'stiffness' [looking at the ratio of modulus of elasticity and yield strength]

>An elastic modulus (also known as modulus of elasticity) is the unit of measurement of an object's or substance's resistance to being deformed elastically (i.e., non-permanently) when a stress is applied to it.

>What Is Yield Strength? Yield strength is defined as the maximum stress a material will tolerate before plastic deformation begins. The term “yield strength” is typically used in the context of ductile materials, or materials that can deform

>This should be self evident.

Self evident yes, once you parse through the jargon, but how is what you're saying helpful, measurable or even relevant?
>>
>>2003828
Everybody knows that judging a bicycle off the material properties of whatever the frame is constructed out of is fucking retarded. Guarantee this guy has a magic wonder alloy that he demands everything on his bike be made out of despite the fact that it’s an absolutely terrible choice in practice, the kind of people buying titanium forks off ebay
>>
>>2003831
blud doesn’t even know his downtube wall thickness how could he possibly have a credible opinion on material properties of alloys in the scope of bike frame compliance
>>
File: nitto.jpg (107 KB, 1158x775)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
https://youtu.be/XYIV6O6tOvY?t=175

>>2003687
to add to this anon who is basically just saying frames should be bendy to be comfy.
>>
>>2003826
Sir, sir,
It's not my problem.
I have heard to grease, or not grease the square so I don't bother, going in DRY.
If his shit is loose he should tighten it, if it's loose again he should inspect.
he could inspect first too, but if he is somehow chewing through crank arms they are loose, or 1usd to buy.
>>
>>2003836
You can tighten things much harder if they're clean and greased.
Repeated, weak and ineffective retightens will just damage the crank arm.
>>2003728
>I've had this problem on multiple bikes

Which is, you know, what's fucking happening.
AND what's happening in your life.
>>
>>2003737
>I had this problem when I was a teenager and I thought it was fucked but I couldn't torque it enough with the big Allen wrench I was using, even jumping up and down on the wrench. I took it to someone and they just torqued it properly.

Again, regular 8mm allen key should be able to torque a crank down hard enough. Just fucking lean on it and when it's bending a bit that's it. It just wasn't greased because you are a retard.

>>2003740
>I have an 80 ftlb torque wrench for my AR
You don't need any meme tools. This is technology that was last prevalent on nice bikes 25 years ago. Nobody used torque wrenches then.
>>
>>2003728
to add to how to clean it, get a long rag from an old t-shirt, soak a section in kerosene or other solvent, stand on one end of the rag, hold the other, and run it through the taper.
>>
>>2003754
>>2003744
Tried it, didn't work. Just to point out but the stains have been there for years
>>
New thread
>>2003899
>>2003899
>>2003899
>>
>>2002490
30/34 is very low for a gravel bike.
I have 34/46 on my xc bike, I use the bottom gear only when I'm far into a race and getting very tired.
Git gud fat nigger

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.