[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

#501- “Teachin The Bois!” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2710858

janny pls…

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

New Bong Fishin Guide
https://pastebin.com/sDB5SQTq

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
File: 20240407_183817.jpg (2.25 MB, 4032x3024)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>2717358
Got a shitrod to keep in my motorcycle
>>
for the last 5 years i have gone to this one shoal every single spring because there is supposed to be so many grayling to flyfish i cant even carry them home
this will be the 6th spring and im fairly certain the 80 year old dude i heard it was either lying or senile
>>
>>2717307
Do this and tape it I need a laugh.
>>
>>2717401
Pollution might have just killed them off. But yeah boomer was senile or lying possibly.
>>
>>2717401
He’s probably not been there in 40 years, but he’s been telling anyone who will listen about the spot for 50 years, so it’s been demolished. Many such cases.
>>
How the hell can a creek have no fish at all? wtf
>>
>>2717430
Creek fish can move miles. I have a creek through my farm and right now it’s barren, but give it a good warm rain and the pike, walleye, and dozens of other species will move in to spawn. The only year round residents are mudminnows, killifish, and white suckers.
>>
>>2717431
Well that makes it seem a little less crazy. But I mean no fish. No minnows or anything.
>>
>>2717432
Probably pollution
The creek near me was teeming with life when I was a kid not even 20 years ago. Crayfish, clams, minnows, frogs, fish, everything. Now, the only life you seem to find in there are bugs and the occasional small frog. No fish, no crayfish, only dead clams.
I blame fertilizer runoff and livestock shit.
>>
>>2717442
That's just sad, creeks are so wonderful but they keep getting polluted. The real kicker is when the water is crystal clear but still empty. Yes it might be nice to look at but it's nowhere what it could be.
>>
the biggest fish I've caught this year is a shad :'(

I've caught a handful of bluegills and crappie. But I just can't catch a good bass!
>>
File: TBKNR7.jpg (418 KB, 936x702)
418 KB
418 KB JPG
>>
>>2717489
Really puts things into perspective when I consider a 30 cm pike or whitefish to be a "small fish" and consider tossing it back.
>>
>>2717358
I'm gonna go fishing with night vision goggles
>>
I'm both broke and a complete noob. How awful an idea is it to start out handlining? I've got a lake nearby that's stocked with rainbow trout I was thinking of trying.
>>
>>2717525
for trout? awful

you can get the cheapest spinning rod and reel combo prespooled at walmart for 15-25 bucks. 5 bucks more for a can of worms and some hooks. you will be infinitely be productive and actually put fish in the kitchen.
>>
>>2717525
You can get something that is worth a damn for 50 bucks. Otherwise try a stick I guess.
>>
>>2717531
>>2717532
Alright, I'll be less of a cheap shit then.
Taking a look, my local dick's has the ugly stik GX2 available as a combo, which I saw recommend in the pastebin.
Is the general advice of a 6'6" medium power rod with 8lb mono line for general use still good, or should I go with a lighter line since trout are line shy?
And finally, since these are recently stocked, should I go with power bait?
>>
>>2717358
Another crack whore I see
>>
>>2717548
If you will only be fishing for trout and pan fish, a medium rod is way too heavy. You want an ultralight or light rod with 2-6 pound line. Generally, people recommend mono, but I've been told light braid works really well too, which I'd like to try out in the future. There are ultralight and light Ugly Stik GX2s you can buy. I haven't checked Dick's prices, but Amazon and Walmart are $40 when everyone else is $50. I recommend buying a Kast King Centron (at least 1000 size, and these tend to run small) for $25 on Amazon (online only company with replacement parts, easy to service). Powerbait works perfectly fine, but I'm a big fan of inline spinners for which you will need a swivel (and a snap if you want). Buy the smallest possible swivel because it will work better.
>>
>>2717430
check it out after you've had days and days of rain
>>2717548
that pastebin is meh and outdated. get a shakespeare micro series if you want to be turbocheap, model MGSP702L or instead of that overpriced gx2 combo with a reel that might grenade, spend $10 more and get a Daiwa Aird-X rod and Shimano FX 2000 or 2500 reel. the 6ft6 or 7ft medium light models of the aird-x will be perfect for what you're trying to do.
>>
>>2717587
P.S. Ugly Stiks are pretty much unbreakable, so you don't have to worry about being a noob and breaking such a light rod.
The entire setup: rod, reel, line, and a package of Panther Martins will cost $80. This is a great way to get into fishing because it isn't cheap garbage that isn't fun to use and will break quickly. It will be a setup you will want to use for a long time to come.
>>
how do mfers break rods? I've had mine roll around in the bed of a pickup, even had a big scaffold end up on top of them when I got to the spot, nothing broken. I get all hung up in trees when the river current blows my kayak into the bank while I'm preoccupied. still haven't broken a rod. I'm pretty sure you need to stick it into a ceiling fan or close it in a door to break it, and of course the good ol high sticking, but that's a skill issue. ugly stik is fine if you don't care about feeling a bite, but it's simply overpriced compared to current modern offerings. you can get good budget gear these days. don't be fear-mongered into "rods break easily" because most do not.
>>
>>2717588
It's been nothing but rain for a week already.
>>
>>2717660
does the creek connect to a river or is it a dead end that serves as pond overflow? if it's a creek that never fully dries up, there should be fish in it during the rainy seasons.
>>
bros i finally got an asian gf but she wont fish with me, what should i do? thinking about dumping her. shes chinese.
>>
>>2717812
>shes chinese
dump her
>>
>>2717644
This. I've done some horrendous fucking shit with my rods and I've only broken one, and that was after a 1/2 ounce jig came flying back like a bullet and smacked the top 1/3 of my rod off. Even high modulus graphite blanks these days can take a beating.
>>
>>2717587
>>2717588
Thanks for the advice.
I'll go with an lighter rod then, since I'm just gonna be doing trout for now. I'm planning on getting lures and spinners as well, but from what I understand bait is my best bet to start out with.
>>
>>2717393
Funny, I just saw some fatfuck on his bike driving south down 270 and thought "there goes skid".
>>
>>2717880
a lighter power rod can be used for bigger species too it's about simply using lighter tackle with said rod. some people just don't like throwing heavy lures but they still catch decent sized fish. buying a light or medium light rod does not limit you to only small fish so it's not really a compromise.
>>
File: 20240408_141329.jpg (3.57 MB, 3072x3396)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB JPG
I fished my loal river over 600 hours in the year 2023 in michigan.
>>
>>2717933
Lmao
What colour was the helmet?
>>2717489
Good catfish bait
>>2717644
Sometimes the fishgods frown upon you and a rod breaks. I've had rods break for seemingly no reason.
>>2717970
Chrome
>>
>>2717701
It goes for a very long stretch and is connected to a river that goes out to sea. It goes all kinds or places and isn't for pond runoff.
>>
anyone try bottom fishing for trout at this time? been hooking on 2-3 worms found digging around the river, should I add on a yellow egg for visibility?
>>
>>2718088
I wish I was finding the trout. I can't even find them where they said they would stock them.
>>
They stock the shit out of my opening day trout stream. I'm throwing nightcrawlers and getting these guys and pop is throwing crankbait and getting 22" monsters.
>>
>>2718083
well then start near the river and see what the fishing is like on that end, because if there aren't any fish there, you probably won't find much further down the creek.
>>
>>2718107
Cops live there? Or some other gov types?
>>
>>2717430
cold
>>
>>2718178
It's in the middle of nowhere, doubt it. They still float stock so all the weekenders get the easy spots where they don't need to wade across, but if you go further in they stock a few big holes you have to walk 30 min to get to.
>>
>>2717548
>Is the general advice of a 6'6" medium power rod with 8lb mono line for general use still good, or should I go with a lighter line since trout are line shy?
>6'6 rod for trout
Where are you fishing for trout that you need a 6'6 rod? I've been using an old shakespear micro and it's fine. It's like 4'6, one piece.
>>
>>2717358
Alright boys I have what I think is an amazing idea. I know of a pond with nothing but sunfish. It’s a pretty good sized pond, about 1.5” circumference. I’ve checked it out many times with many different baits and lures going for catfish and bass and snakehead etc. It only has sunfish.
No one else fishes there.
This means that if I were to stick it with maybe 10 bass, they’d have zero competition until they began to reproduce. They’d have an over abundance of food (mosquito fish and sun fish) and plenty of space. They could potentially grow to be huge. There’s plenty of cover and structure in this water for them.
I would need to borrow a friends livescope to make absolutely sure it’s how it seems and that there’s only sunfish, but if so I could make my own private bass pond that no one fishes. And it could possibly have some bass that grow to be monster sized. Tons of space, tons of food, no fishermen, only predators may be birds.

How do I catch small bass, and how many should I stock it with? Should I go for fingerlings or try to just put in 1-3 1lb bass at a time?
Would I be better off only putting male bass if I could find a way to sex them? So that they don’t reproduce and compete with each other and it just becomes a pond with like 10 monster bass in it?
>>
>>2718264
1.5 mile circumference* sorry I was measuring the length of my wiener earlier

And also female*
>>
>>2718264
don't go playing god and fucking up a perfectly healthy pond. you think you will grow a couple of big bass, but in reality it will just be full of 2 pounders in a couple of years. trust me when I say that a pond full of sunfish is a good thing, you will regret it when it turns into a dink bass spawnpool and the sunfish numbers decline.
>>
I had a secret pond that was full of different panfish species, then the bucket brigade started showing up regularly. now I'm lucky if I pull a mediocre bluegill out of it.
>>
>>2718268
It’s a man made pond and by sunfish I mean invasive Mayan cichlids. But yeah that’s why I wanted to sex them if at all possible, to keep them from reproducing so there’s only maybe 5-10 bass in the entire lake of the same sex
>>
Two questions. What is your preferred catfish rig? I've tried a three-way swivel, a sliding egg sinker, a fixed one, and a palomar with an egg sinker on the end. I haven't found anything entirely satisfying. I like the idea of the palomar because I can lose my sinker and keep the rest of my rig, but I don't think it is conducive for fish mouths.
#2 is for you, Skid. I have a 4000 size KastKing Sharky. I love the robustness, bite and run feature, and replacement parts. The problem is that it doesn't fit very well in the Whisker Seeker Chad Ferguson rod reel seat very well because it's so big. Despite having double reel seat screws(?), it comes loose while reeling. Any tips for a fix? I can provide pictures if desired.
>>
i love agressive fish, even if they are dinks, this rockbass barely fit the lure in his mouth and ate at my feet
>>2718300
epoxy the reel in to the rod. put shoe polish on the foot of the reel so that if the rod breaks you can dremel the reelseat and chip the epoxy to get your reel back. you could also try t-rex tape, or zipties covered in electrical tape. the zip ties are not comfy, the electrical tape makes it less miserable.
i had a rod wth the problem, i never bothered trying to solve it, but thats the only way i can think of.

you could try cutting the grip and reel seat off and buy some components from janns netcraft and fix it that way, which is technically the right way, but it sucks to do
>>
>>2718300
i didnt even read the first question till here, last time i went cat fishing i used a knocker rig on a circle hook, and it worked fine. it holds bait on the bottom. you can add a float and bobber fish for catfish without substantially changing your rig, too. im not a good catfisherman though
>>
>>2718088
No. Use size 12 hook. Trout are used to seeing worms. You want it as natural as possible. Possible 2lb flouro leader.
>>
>>2718328
>i love agressive fish, even if they are dinks
I agree. It's a lot less disappointing when you catch a tiny one if they're an aggressive, fighty fish.
I caught a bunch of tiny bullheads last year and despite being smaller than my hand, each of them felt bigger on the line because of how hard they fought.
Interestingly enough the one bigger one that I caught (and ate. It wasn't bad though I likely wouldn't eat one again) didn't fight that much harder than the smaller ones. Although it was wounded judging by the gouges and missing bits of skin on its back so maybe that's why.
>>
>>2717524
Did it work?
>>
>>2718250
A 6'6" medium rod is what the pastebin recommends for your first rod in general. I've been advised towards a light or ultralight rod in this thread.
As for where, I'm in Seattle, and there's some lakes in the city that are stocked with trout. There's also supposed to be some pretty decent spots for perch and bass nearby, but when I get the chance I'm planning on heading out to the cascades. I've heard very good things about the alpine lakes.
>>
File: 1691189786928685.jpg (1.94 MB, 3264x2448)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>2718341
i think youd be best off with a light rod in the 6-7 foot range, s 1500 or 2000 size reel, and some lures in the 1 to 2 inch range, and maybe a few in the 3 inch.
softplastics for panfish are a good option, small crank baits, spoons, inline spinners, and even flies can be used, as well as live bait, but bait is annoying.
do you have a budget in mind?
>>
Skid will you please create an etsy shop so we can throw money at you
>>
>>2718345
Ideally no more than $100 to start for the rod, reel, and at least a basic set of line and hooks. I'm thinking of starting out with power bait, since I've heard bait is the most foolproof option for noobs. I plan on trying lures after I've gotten the basics figured out.
I've been interested in flies and fly fishing, but I didn't think you could use a fly on a regular spinning rod.
There's a part of me that's been thinking of just going straight into fly fishing, but I fear I'd never catch anything if I start with flies not knowing what I'm doing.
>>
File: 20240307_192037.jpg (2.42 MB, 4032x3024)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
>>2718348
I'll sell you stuff I have a PayPal account what are you after
>pic related a 2 oz "casting fly" a friend wanted.
I think I can hide the weight better if I buy a bigger egg sinker and cut it in half.

Send me a gmail at bluskallcustom
>>2718349
>power bait,
No
>$100
Get an uglystik gx2, and a diawa sweepfire 2000; put Berkley trilene xl (red label) on it, 6 or 8 pound test
I personally think lures are more beginner friendly, there are a lot of lures that can be fished as simply as cast and retrieve. For a little more variety add little bounces pops and pauses, on a whim even. I think the active fishing style is good for newbies so they cover water and figure out what's in the water and where the fish live instead of drowning a worm in the middle of a lifeless mudflat all day
>I didn't think you could use a fly on a regular spinning rod
You can, usually by using a bobber or float bubble to cast a fly
>thinking of just going straight into fly fishing
That would be based; learning to cast would be the main factor that changes the learning curve.
If you do this, and insist on the 100 dollar budget; eagle claw fiberglass fly rod, echo base reel, scientific anglers air cel line. You'll learn how to cast and untangle lines. Also if you have a local mom n pop tackle shop, go there, buy some lures, see if they have any intel on the local fishery.
>>
File: 260651691691.jpg (158 KB, 713x847)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
Any benefits to tying your own fly leaders over premade? Getting tired of buying them, even if it's not often, and I like the idea of making batches.

>>2718328
I swear the same dink bass keeps hitting my streamers on a spot I frequent, kinda adorable and endearing. Actually hooked him unintentionally on my 8wt once going for a baitfish streamer a third his size. Always pops up from the same rocks when my line passes over.
>>
>>2718367
Why the instant no on power bait out of curiosity?

As for going straight into fly fishing, you're saying the main difficulty would be casting? That doesn't sound too bad. There's a fly shop pretty close by I can poke at.
>>
>>2718264
You're what's wrong with fishing.
>>
File: boomer.jpg (154 KB, 425x282)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Just get an Ugly Stik. - Dale

sent from my Samsung Galaxy via AARP Wireless
>>
File: teibou hands.png (1.25 MB, 1361x759)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>2718328
chibi
>>
File: 20240409_194042.jpg (3.33 MB, 4032x3024)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
>>2718369
>Any benefits to tying your own fly leaders over premade
Cheaper, custom lengths and tapers.
I bought one of every sized of Berkley trilene xl from 2lb to 25lb and have been using that supply for A L L my leaders, spinning and fly, for going on 3 years now. Worth the price of admission. You can also make weird leaders that are a 25 pound butt section going to 8lb in less than two feet for nymph rigs and stuff.

>dinkbass says hi
Bass do tend to return to the same place time and time again. It's almost certainly the same fish
>>2718387
Power bait is garbo, it's a pain in the ass yo get on the hook, falls off easy, and I've literally never seen anyone catch anything on it.
Yeah pretty much, though, the only thing that makes fly fishing harder than spin fishing is the casting. Sometimes, barring casting, it's easier to get fish on flies than spin gear. Example, right now 4 inch bluegill are staged up in the shallows sunning themselves to warm up and it's hard to catch them on anything but a dry fly because a bobber will land too hard and spook them and its hard to fish the top 6 inches of the water column any other way.
>>2718421
Lol
>>
>>2718449
Did you even have a hook on that or did fat boy just get the grub end lodged in his mouth geg
>>
File: landlocked.jpg (137 KB, 960x1280)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
caught my first and second landlocked salmon yesterday, used my friends trolling rig...8wt rod, with 18lb test leadcore on a sewn on smelt..really enjoyed simple it was

>>2718387
I've only seen people catch stocked rainbow trout on the west coast soaking powerbait..but its unreliable, it always falls off.

>>2718449
Fly fishing for bluegills is based, I can't wait till it warms up a little and the wind dies down here in the northeast
>>
>>2718129
I know for a fact that the river has fish. I think pollution just took out the creek.
>>
I’m going to be in San Jose towards the end of May and I might have a chance to go fishing and catch some new species. Should I hit the surf or the bay?
>>
>>2718467
Surf/rock fishing will be dependent on weather/tides/waves so I wouldn't really count on it too much. Old fisherman's life videos are good to watch on strategies to rockfish/surf fish in northern california. Mind you getting to some decent spots its an hour - hour and a half drive from SJ.

Bay fishing is best in San Mateo/Redwood City - or Alameda off the jetty there. Can always go to the piers in SF. Can be pretty slow.

On the other hand, there are a lot of well stocked trout lakes in the area. I used to live 30 min out of SJ and there were like 3-4 reservoirs within 15 min of my house, and even better ones within an hour or two distance.
>>
>>2718474
Thanks man I might just go after the stockers. It’s not a fishing trip so I don’t have a whole bunch of time to dedicate to driving and hitting multiple spots or bringing a variety of gear
>>
Got a $30 amazon gift card that needs to be spent what should I buy? Heading up north on a fishing trip in May.
>>
>>2718458
it could have a dam or miltuple dams. most creeks in developed areas do. because they act as runoff so rivers don't flood, thus the creeks will flood so they also need control. in creeks with dams a lot of fish will die in the drier months because they can't go back upcreek and the water becomes low, lacks oxygen and gets hot and overloaded with toxins.
>>2718530
Brigdford Sweet Baby Rays beef jerky
>>
>>2718517
Check the latest stocking on California's fish and game website, the mexicans and filipinos will fish the place empty in a month or two after stocking lmao.
>>
>>2718575
why are browns like this
>>
File: 20240409_193640.jpg (3.2 MB, 4032x3024)
3.2 MB
3.2 MB JPG
>>2718450
Lol
Theres a Hook there, but I probably dodnt need it
>>2718454
They're almost ready here in northeast ohio
>>2718558
Z man elaztech paddle tails. Get some zman jig heads for em too.
Dont let them touch any plastic other than themselves or the bag they come in.
>>
Any SoCal surf fishermen? I’ve been so busy the last few years, haven’t had a chance to get out much. Took a new job that only occupies 4 days of my week. Going to try to fish at least a couple/three times a month. Going to start out focusing on surf fishing the SoCal coast, perhaps all the way up to Santa Barbara on occasion, but mostly LA/OC. Been watching some cool videos on Halibut techniques. That’ll be the target, but I’ll keep whatever tastes worth a fuck. Gonna be drop shotting swimbaits and tossing Lucky Craft minnows. Still getting together some crap I need. Hoping to be out on the water by month’s end.
>>
File: 1696979373161.jpg (20 KB, 318x348)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>2717430
Going back to this, where are the best spots to look on a creek? My thoughts (in order with most productive first) would be:
>Joining another river/creek
>Areas where it's wider
>Outside edge of bends
Anything I'm missing or ordering incorrectly here?
Pic unrelated, just want my post to get more attention
>>
>>2718621
I'm in SoCal, same areas but am a newbie (to fishing and also somewhat the area). Keep us posted on how it goes
>>
Gonna try to find the stocked trout again. Hope I see some kind of fish at least.
>>
>>2718621
>>2718668
The bite has been improving now that it’s warming up. Grunion are running, sand crabs are showing up, and there’s pretty fair multi species fishing in Ventura county right now. Still no luck with any Leos but the perch have been fat
>>
I caught my first catfish. You won't believe on what though. Pink homemade play-doh and expired dog treats.
>>
Rec lures for shore fishing black crappie near structures
>>
Had a carp on the hook but he came off, how do I prevent this?
>>
>>2718909
Small rapala countdowns (or other sinking minnow crankbaits) or sub-2 inch soft plastics on small jig heads.
>>
>>2718924
Did he bend out? If he did, stouter hooks. Otherwise do a better job keeping your line tight. There’s really no other trick.
>>
>>2718909
1 inch curly tails, the micro finesse zman paddle tails, small rapalas, strike king bitsy minnow, roostertail or mepps
>>2718924
How did he come off? Bent hook? Straightened hook? Just came un hooked for no apparent reason?
>>
>>2718927
The bugger didn't bend the hook. I must of fucked up keeping the line tight as he thrashed like a lunatic.
>>
>>2718940
It felt like he just popped off. I was trying to pull him out but he wouldn't stop spazzing like wild.
>>
File: 20240405_190256.jpg (2.19 MB, 4032x3024)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
I couldnt find 2/0 ewg seimbait hooks with 1/4 oz of lead so I made my own.
>>2718942
You might have literally ripped the hook out of his face, depending on how he was hooked.
>>
>>2718965
I'm not sure I was giving it that much force. I was mostly holding him on the top of the water waiting for him to slow down to lift him up. Maybe my hook was too small. idk it was my first encounter with a carp and he was a firecracker. Wasn't ready for that much force.
>>
>>2718924
Softer grip, softer rod, softer reel brake, try to win by exhausting the fish rather than go for the KO
>>
>>2718968
Knowing my rod anything would be an improvement. It's like a lead pipe. The reel sucks too. But yeah if I wasn't dumb I would have figured how to tire it out.
>>
Ah yes the most illusive fish, the stocked trout. I'm not kidding when I say I only found a single dead trout. On a stocking day no less I must add. My luck with these fish is antimatter.
>>
>>2718978
Stocked trout are gay. They feed in the top 3ft. of water column for the first couple months after stocking. Try a slip bobber with worms.
>>
>>2718926
>>2718940
Thanks, I'll report back with all the fish I catch
>>
File: IMG_20240411_143912~2.jpg (48 KB, 548x730)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
I caught my limit of 4 trout with orange powerbait and a lil corky
>>
How can you identify the sex of a fish?
>>
File: WhopperPlopper-130.png (85 KB, 428x174)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
Is this still any good? I've heard people say that its been overused and is now less effective.

I have zero experience with topwater lures and am looking to get into them. Google seemed to suggest that these were a good option.
>>
File: 3645891275455.jpg (216 KB, 714x955)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
Christened my new cheap panfish set up. Featherlight 5wt and a maxcatch reel and line. Was a blast to use and glad I won't have to bring out my trout rod for panfishing nasty ponds as much. Had to relearn casting dries a bit after a long winter and tossing almost nothing but streamers lately.
>>
Is there a chance of fish being in a drain on my property after multiple days of rain and at least a week of a consistent water level?
>>
I showed up to a pond stocked with trout. I had great luck in the fall but none this spring. I was fishing with a black guy yesterday. he was using minnows and a bobber. He missed a couple, but by the time I left, he landed one. I think he drove a long way to get to the pond. He looked like a respectable retiree. We exchanged a few polite words. Then, this light skinned guy who may have been Indian shows up with three rods right next to me. This pond is a few acres, and it's just me and the black guy, and us two are spread a decent distance apart. This Indian is only 15 feet away from me. I was seeing trout jump but didn't have any luck. I was thinking of moving down anyway, but I make conversation with the Indian because I'm curious. He was so fucking retarded that he couldn't keep an inline spinner off the bottom, necessitating use of a bobber. I can't believe he was that fucking close to me, but then again, he's Indian. I moved down a bit, fished for a few minutes, and left to take care of some business. I hope the black guy limited out and the Indian had to watch like a cuck.
>>
>>2719081
jeets are the worst race on the planet, truly.
>>
>>2719052
of course, but a popper is still the OG tried and true. get a rebel pop-r if you're looking to catch some warm weather topwater fish. it's not the best quality popper compared to modern offerings but it's the one I catch most fish on. a trick is to take the front treble hook off and you can skip it under low hanging trees. if you're gonna get a plopper like in your pic, don't get one that's too small or too big, get the common size like the 90.
>>
>>2719077
depends on the drain setup if anything it will only be really small fish. I've yet to ever see a fish bigger than a minnow even go down a creek style drain with pretty strong flow(mini waterall basically)
>>
>>2718988
>Stocked trout are gay.
Maybe that trout died of aids then. I need to get bobber stops now.
>>
>>2718449
I've been looking into things further, and I'm getting more certain I'm going to jump straight into fly fishing.
My current plan is to ask the local fly shop for advice on leader and flies, and go with your recommendations on rod, reel, and line.
Should I expect any real risk of the line breaking? Or is it basically always going to be the leader that breaks if anything does?
>>
>>2717644
I broke my main medium rod after about ten years of regular three-season use. Ugly Stick 6'6", had braid on a Shimano the whole time. Got a little bit of rust on the male end at the break point of the 2pc, eventually got big enough to snap.

Second rod I've ever broken in my life.
>>
>>2719085
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading up on poppers too. They seem like so much fun to retrieve.
>>
File: 20240327_165531.jpg (3.03 MB, 4032x3024)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
>>2719118
Most fly line cores are 20 to 35 pound test, and most leaders are less than 14 pound test, so you shouldn't have to worry too much unless you're doing something retarded
What setup you get is heavily dependent on budget and intended use.
If you want to spend as little as possible, get an eagle claw fiberglass 6 weight; it should be under $40
Add an echo base reel and a scientific anglers air cel y weight line and you're off to the races.
If you have more money to throw at it the echo lift kit is a degree of magnitude better

You'll also need leaders, flies, split shots, bobbers, and if you're gonna fish dry flies you'll need dry fly floatant. Loon and gink are the two big ones.

>>2719250
Dont neglect the pause I've had fish smack a popper on a 30 second pause
>>
>>2718794
Yeah. Too bad it's been gloomy/rainy on the weekends though. What's a leo?
>>
>>2719250
>>2719283
yeah, 99% of my bites are on the pause.
>>
>>2719250
Poppers are the best because you watch the fish jump for it. Although the first couple times, you might rip the thing from its mouth because you’re too excited. If they miss the first time, let it chill for a second and often times the bass will come right back for it.

Although they’re fun to fish with, topwaters have never been my favorite. The only popper-plug bait I have ever had any luck with is the Rapala Skitter Pop, and the only conditions it works in are mornings where the water isn’t perfectly calm but maybe like 1/10 little tiny waves.
>>
>>2719319
>topwaters have never been my favorite
Gay
Topwater is best fishing, though its not always the most viable.
>>
I have a 5/6wt browning gold medallion 8' rod with 5wf floating line. It's cool but I want to cast farther with less effort. Should I get a 9ft 6wt or 5wt? Will only use the one reel spooled with 5wf. Or should I get a longer one? Mostly throwing tiny streamers for trout and occasional smallmouth which I don't mind fighting on light gear. For instance i like the battle of smallmouth on 7ft ul rod with 4lb line throwing 1/32oz jigs.
>>
Just moved to the shenandoah vally in VA from panhandle FL, fishing is much different than Im used to. Been out a few times to ponds, rivers, and lakes and havnt had even a nibble. Any advice on fishing the region? Ive tried worms and crickets and havnt even got a bite.
>>
File: 20240412_184330.jpg (795 KB, 1814x2419)
795 KB
795 KB JPG
>>2719090
Probably did. They are called "rainbow" trout after all. Make sure your rig sits up straight and you have enough weight.
>>
>>2719283
That's what I had figured, thank you.

I primarily plan on fishing the lakes in and around Seattle to start. Then I want to go for the lakes and creeks along the west side of the cascades. I'll mostly be fishing trout, thought some of the lakes also have panfish and/or largemouth bass, so I may try for them occasionally.

I've gotten a small bonus at work, so my budget has gone up to about $250 for everything.

Taking a look at the echo lift, I can get that, the echo base, and the air cel line for $185.
Would the $65 left in the budget be reasonable for my initial flies, leader, and misc bits? Or would you recommend a different setup entirely at the $250 overall budget?

For the leader, I'm thinking of tying my own, and getting recipe recommendations from my local fly shop when I go to buy the flies.
Thanks again for the advice.
>>
What are those pants called that fly fishers wear that goes up to their armpits so they stay dry?
It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't honestly remember what they're called lol.
>>
>>2719372
lol, alrighty I got some weight options already.
>>
>>2719393
Waders?
>>
>>2719397
lol yeah. That's it.
I had wellies stuck in my head and I guess that stopped waders from coming to mind.
>>
File: Berkley-Trilene-Clear.jpg (168 KB, 1200x1093)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>2719376
Just get the pre assembled lift kit, its $5 less
70 bucks might be a little snug but you can probably pull it off.

Tying your own leaders is also doable but it will eat in to your initial budget. If I was just getting the bare minimum for usable leaders, I'd get a spool of 4, 8, 12, 17, and 25 pound mono. I use berkley trilene xl currently (pic) but before that I used zebco omniflex which might still be available at walmart for $2 for a 500 yard spool.
You'll also need a fly box, forceps, splitshots, and thingamabobbers.
Since you're fishing Stillwater your main flies will be nymphs (especially chironomids) and streamers (baitfish and leeches)
Wooly buggers are a long time standard for streamers, and the standard colors are white black and olive.
Chironomid patterns like sno cones and zebra midges will be good to have, so will pheasant tail nymphs, but prioritize fly suggestions from the local shop over mine.

Also my standard baseline starting point leader formula is 3 feet of 25, 3 feet of 17, 3 feet of 12. That's a butt section, mid section, and tippett section. From there you can tweak things. If you want it lighter you can condense the 17 and 25 to 18 inches for a compound butt section, 12 pound mid section, and 8 pound tippett. If you need lighter still, turn the 12 and 8 in to 18 inch sections for a compound mid section and add your 4 pound tippett. With experience you'll learn how to make leaders do what you want and how to make them longer or shorter, and add 2, 6, 10, 14, and 20 pound line to your repertoire as budget allows.

Honestly I think learning on bluegill is gonna be your best bet, you can sight fish them in the summer on beds and itll really boost your confidence.

As for casting, I learned to cast in grass watching the orvis guide to fly fishing on youtube. Dont use a fly to learn to cast, tie a small tuft of yarn to your leader if you feel the need to have something tied on, and dont try to fisb with that leader.
>>
>>2719414
The preassembled kit is showing as $5 more for me on Amazon, odd.

As for initial targets, according to the wdwf there isn't any bluegill in the nearby lakes, but the closest lake to my house has Pumpkinseed Sunfish, which should be similar enough so I'll probably start there. However sight fishing may be difficult with Seattle's infamous eternal overcast, so who knows.

Thanks for the advise, I'll be back in the thread once I've actually given this a shot.
>>
>>2719414
>improved
>>
>>2719284
Yeah trying to get a day with nice weather and fair surf has been rough lately. It’s still early in the year and conditions will get better. Leopard shark, probably one of the better fights you’ll get from the surf
>>
>>2719052
Werks 4 me during warmer months
>>
File: Beepis.jpg (268 KB, 576x985)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>2719319
Topwaters are fun. I have an Ottomat and TD Ito dedicated to them from spring to fall.
>>
>>2710874
Came back from the Florida trip
I tried skyway bridge and caught a few small Jack's, a Spanish mack on shrimp, nothing special
I tried apollo beach and eg simmon park an didn't get anything. I couldn't find a place to rent out a kayak right at the water front (eg simmon kayak service was closed due to recent rain), which is what I really wanted to do
I think the best day of fishing was in anna maria island. The beach was beautiful and I found a spot with a couple pompano's and small Jack's.
I saw some snooks at the beach as well but they were really lockjawed. They won't take my lures no matter what I throw
>>
File: 20240413_145057.jpg (2.5 MB, 4032x3024)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
Got my motorcycle fishing kit put together
>>
>>2718657
Bump since I got no responses
>>
>>2718657
>>2719716
Depth and breaks in the current will be your best bet for fish. If theres an area that's 6 inches deeper than the water immediately above it or below it it's more likely to hold fish. If it's got a big rock in it, all the more.
>>
>>2719414
do you ever tie tapered leaders with that many knots? that sounds like overkill. most of my leaders are 3 sections sometimes 4.
>>
>desperately want to go fishing
>buddy never has time
>license is suspended so I can't drive myself anywhere
>no fishing spots within walking distance of my shit town
I am so fucking tired of sitting in my goddamn fucking room
>>
File: 20240413_225323.jpg (2.73 MB, 4032x3024)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
I impulse bought some little swimbaits.
>>2719762
Rarely, most of leaders are fairly short and heavy cause I do a lot of streamer stuff, and the rare times I do bobber fish I usually run fairly heavy tippett. I mean I've cut off a #2 streamer and tied a #14 nymph on to that same 12 pound leader and caught fish. I've also gotten to a point where I wont fish below certain line strengths on certain rods. I'm throwing a 14 pound leader my 7 weight is great cause I can bulldog a fish with it, but if I'm going to be hsing a 4 pound leader I wont get any more fish fighting power out of my 7 weight than I would out of my 4 because both rods are perfectly capable of breaking that 4 pound line, and my 4 weight line balances better with 20 pound butt sections, where my 8 weight likes a 25 pound butt section.
>>
>>2719769
I know how that is.
>>
Let's say I have a green sunfish I'm fond of. What do I feed them?
>>
>>2719368
Welcome to the area, friend :) I will say that it has started out slow for myself and everyone I've talked to this year. Just keep trying, it will be heating up very soon.
>>
>>2719820
Are worms and lures the correct gear? Or is fly fishing the way to catch. Growing up in the north I always had gread success with them even on off days youd get bites. Here i feel ghosted by the fishs. Anyway im off to go and try and catch somthing today.
>>
>>2719811
In the wild the eat insects, aquatic insects, and other fish. You can go to pet stores and get crickets, feeder minnows, blood worms, and similar, all of which are great options. Make sure you give the sunfish some variety, that will both round out its nutritional needs and provide enrichment.
>>
>>2719831
Thanks mate.
>>
File: laffinglain.gif (291 KB, 700x704)
291 KB
291 KB GIF
I finished 4th in my clubs bass tournament this week with 4.05lbs of fish. my big fish was 2lbs 12 oz and the tournament big fish was 3lbs 5 oz.
>>
>>2719829
At least in South Florida coming from the Midwest, I had to learn that pond water temps are like late july in the Midwest for most of the year. So unless it’s a coldfront coming in at dusk, I gotta be running texas rigs and finesse worms or baby brush hogs and stuff. 1/2oz spinnerbaits and crankbaits won’t get any LMB bites unless it’s late January.
>>
File: IMG_20240414_162142_771.jpg (383 KB, 1248x1280)
383 KB
383 KB JPG
I caught a bowfin guys
>>
>>2719923
Rare
>>
File: IMG_5764.jpg (649 KB, 960x1280)
649 KB
649 KB JPG
>>2719923
Nice
>>
>>2719923
nice, i flipped one out of some lily pads this weekend. Few months ago I caught two on a spinner bait. Some of my favorite bycatch, they put up a fight.
>>2719944
snake head =/= bowfin
>>
File: IMG_20240414_142808_332.jpg (306 KB, 1280x721)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>2719944
Go fishing
>>
>>2719913
Tbh i dont know what most of that means, my biggest bass in nwfl have been cought on dead shrimp in an island pond and with a cast net.
>>2719923
Cool catch. I never landed up catching one but i always wanted to. Very neat, I got to see them swimming around in a mississippi aquarium. I hope you let it go back safely.
>>
>>2719945
I see your knew here. Welcome to the fishin thread!

>>2719951
I actually threw a couple casts with the kids the other week. Feels good.
>>
Most autistic question I'll ever ask in these generals: anyone play vanilla World of Warcraft? Remember World of Roguecraft? For some reason, I had an urge to make a parody of it except just making fun of bass fishermen.

Is that too autistic of a video premise?
>>
>finally go fishing
>not even a nibble
well at least i got to see some bigass cranes, a beaver, and a muskrat
apparently muskrats make very cute squeaking noises.
anyway I'm never fishing on that creek again. fucking gay.
>>
File: 485221469374456541.jpg (31 KB, 691x822)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>Decide to fly fish for bass on a windy shitty day
>no action
>figure if nothing else it's practice casting streamers and handling wind
>hook something heavy, think its another underwater weed/branch snag
>lower rod after no movement or budging then think I feel a head shake
>pull in line thinking for sure it was just the wind and I'm gonna pull up a branch
>It's a big bass
>shakes off soon as his head is up out of the water
>lose trusty wooly bugger I caught him with on a poor recast to a spitefully placed branch
>Asian guy detects uneaten fish and manifest out of nowhere and stares at me creepily smiling while setting up his gear like he's in line to use my spot

Damn it. Not the first time that's played out with bass for me. Big ones are so far and in between I'm don't expect them when they do bite half the time.
Think pic related could make a good bass critter? Thinking of trying it out since it was a discount reject fly anyways.
>>
Can you just look at a lake for the first time and know if the trout will be cruising the shoreline or out in the middle somewhere? My local reservoir has some holdovers that I can only catch by trolling, but I'd rather fly fish from shore. Some of the locals catch stockers from shore with power bait a foot off the bottom. They're casting further than I can with my 6wt though. Help a brother out, thanks.
>>
I have spent the past 4 days chasing crappies on a northern MN lake from my kayak. Ice went out a little over a week ago and we had a stable, warm, sunny, but very windy spell since. I found the warmest back bay on the lake and it is absolutely full of bass, bluegill and pike. It's wild just looking into the water ahead of me as I drift with the wind and seeing dozens of big bass scattering ahead of me, seems like just about every fish in the lake is stuffed into this bay (other than the crappies) because it is so much warmer than the main lake. As it got around sunset I started seeing schools of minnows all over the edge of the reeds splashing trying to escape predators. My thumb is worn to shit from nuisance bass and a good few pike have fresh new crappie jig lip rings. Right as I was about to give up and paddle back tonight just after sunset, I got a 12 inch crappie to keep the hope alive. I'm hoping it is just getting warm enough that the crappies will get going for real now.

God I love spring.
>>
>>2719986
>I see your knew here. Welcome to the fishin thread
Ye
>>
>>2720034
I feel ya. Missed a big one going through the motions flipping lilypads with a zoom fluke, I just forgot I needed to set the hook harder with a fluke, I'd been fishing a senko all day and the hook practically sets itself. He just shook it, right by the boat. Was fishing with braid and a heavy rod, he had to have been pretty big.
>>
you know those pictures of big snapping turtles, the ones where people hold them closer to the camera to make them look bigger than they really are? yeah... I've seen a snapping turtle that looks way bigger than those. a legitimate monster. I often wonder if it's a record of some kind, at least a state record. I know where it's at and occasionally see it. would never fish for it because it's probably 30+ years old and I don't want to harm it. people would think it's a bullshit fish tale if I told them how big it was. this bastard legitimately looks like a car wheel.
>>
>>2720130
Alligator snapping turtles get huge
>>
>>2720067
You don't eat something else do you? It's good to pick your berries at the park and to fish from the rivers.
>>
>>2720131
that's the craziest part... I'm pretty sure it's a common snapping turtle. the shell is pretty smooth and it's very lightly colored. almost like clay/mud colored instead of dark.
>>
File: 1689777133734.jpg (104 KB, 896x667)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>2720030
Are you me? I moved to a place with a river very nearby and only recently have had success in it, was considering swearing it off for a while. I'd also suggest looking for spots where fish like to hang out before totally giving up on the entire creek, but I would also say some bodies of water are just better than others, so it's all dependent on if you want to spend hours looking for those good spots on it or just go to other rivers/ponds you know are better. Good luck!
>>
>>2720130
I swear I saw one with a shell that was 2ft+ across swimming by me when fishing one day.

We're not even supposed to have them this far north, but most people around town have seen them. They're the only thing swimming around that actually scares me.
>>
>>2720130
I hooked into a 20lb+ soft shell once.
Got it up to shore after fighting it for 15 minutes but broke off as I went to unhook it.
6lb braid did all it could.
>>
>>2720132
The hell are you talking about.
>>
>drive by body of water
>"I bet I could catch fish there"
>never fish there
>>
File: 1610990761523.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
I inherited a tackle box with bass lures and about 20 packs of plastic worms, and what should I use for muddy waters at this time of the year? I also bought a Daiwa reel and a Shimano rod because they're Japanese.

Other than worms, I don't have a whole lot of the other lures. I'll show a picture of the lures I have minus the worms.
>>
File: PXL_20240415_154150859.jpg (3.14 MB, 4080x3072)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
>>2720228
These and basically all kinds of varieties of worms
>>
Any starting fly fishing combos that are durable??
>>
>>2720228
>for muddy waters at this time of the year?
>>2720232
Any of the bright colored Senko (stick baits) would be fine, generally brighter colors
>>
>>2720034
That fly should produce. Good luck, I hope you get your biggun
>>2720239
Anything fiberglass
>>
>>2720176
>this far north
How far north? I’ve seen common snapping turtles in Quetico provincial park in Canada.
>>
>>2720263
I don't mean the smoothshells that are well known to be here in NJ, I mean these spikey gamera-looking motherfuckers.

One morning a few years ago one of them found its way into my neighbor's backyard and sat there all day. That's the longest look I've ever had of one, and there's no doubt it was picrel.
>>
beautiful but disappointing outing today, new to trolling - just got all my tackle set up with leadcore line.

leadcore > 30ft 10lb leader > swivel > 8 ft 6lb leader with treble hook/smelt on it

Any advice for the hookset? I felt like I grabbed the rod too soon and didn't allow the fish enough time to dig in to it
>>
>>2720304
It's funny because alligator snapping turtles are in my experience less aggressive than normal snapping turtles, despite their appearance.
>>
>>2717358
how many chads are out there fishing that there are so many of these fuckbunny pics
>>
File: IMG_2325.jpg (291 KB, 1199x900)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>2720304
Commons have pretty variable shells, they aren’t all smooth.
>>
the best thing about snapping turtles is when retards don't know how long their neck is or how fast they can strike, and they think they can fuck with it from the side.
>>
>>2720333
>how many chads are out there fishing
Many.
>>
>>2720322
alligators are less aggressive. and the commons can stretch their neck and 360 no scope you. that's why you have to hold them from the sides and not behind their head like people do with alligator sanppers.
>>
>>2720307
Usually when trolling you don't need to set the hook. Just throttle up the boat slightly and count to 5 before picking it up.
>>
Aberdeen hooks will work for trout right?
>>
>>2720357
>Be you
>Fishing in a small peaceful pond
>Cast your line out
>Hear a *thunk* as your lure hits something just below the surface
>"huh, must be a rock"
>Suddenly something big emerges from the water
>Its five feet across and weighs over a ton
>You pissed off a snapping turtle
>Big mistake
>Before you can even blink, it jumps out towards you
>It's jaws come down with the force of a hydraulic press and the speed of a bullet
>Instantly cleaves off your entire leg
>In a panic you scramble back to your truck
>Try to start the engine
>Wheels spin, but you don't move
>It's holding the rear bumper in its mouth, preventing you from escaping
>The last thing you see as you lose consciousness from blood loss is the turtle biting its way through the car door

Don't fuck with snapping turtles.
>>
>>2720449
Cute stubby little arms.
>>
Posted to fit too:
I’m getting sick of how entitled old people are. I find one thing that brings me genuine joy and pulls me out of my depression and it’s a problem for these cunts. It’s fishing. Doesn’t hurt anyone. I do catch and release unless it’s salt water and even then I follow regs. I do this better than most. I leave any water I go to in better condition than I found it, always cleaning up any trash I see. I only fish public property unless I’m given permission to be on and fish private property.

Few days ago I went to a city golf course. That’s public property. I asked if I could fish there I was given the okay and told others fish there too. Golf courses are great fishing because not many fish them and the fish get big. First fish was a personal best for me. Great day, no issues, head home after few hours. Next day same shit no problem. Few days break because busy. Go to fish there again today and there were a ton of golfers. No big deal, I get clearance again to be safe, stay out of everyone’s way out of the line of fire (the other golfers were more at risk for getting hit than I was, keep this in mind). Most guys don’t care. One old jew pulls up to me in his golf cart to ask what I’m catching, seemed respectful but it had undertones of “why are you hear”. Whatever I was polite he left me be. Another guy speeds up slams his breaks just a few feet from me as if to try and be aggressive, ignore him, he starts bitching to himself “WHATS THIS GUY DOING HERE” I ignored it I’m not responding to bullshit like that. He sat there and took a video of me or some shit probably to jack off to later. He throws his fit, management comes and tells me I have to leave. Polite with management, reminded them I had permission but said it was no issue. I’ll be back for sure.
All because this retired faggot wants to feel his PUBLIC course is exclusive. He had to go out of his way to get to where I was
>>
>>2720460
Later I went to one of my usual spots, a public city park which encourages fishing. Old lady (wanna take a guess on her background?) starts yelling at me says there’s no fishing and to read the sign. The only sign by the water is a gator warning lmao. I told her “no that’s okay.” And she called the cops. No one came out. Instead I got a new PB, 6lb bass.

Why are they like this? I could understand if I broke into someone’s backyard or I was clearly breaking shit and littering or something but they act as if what I’m doing, on public property, takes anything from them. I actively collect trash the whole time. I don’t bother anyone. These people are such assholes. Let’s not even get into the damages they’ve done to this country and my state in particular. Fishing are you kidding me? There’s way worse shit I could be doing in my free time. I find one thing that hurts no one doesn’t even harm the fish and these fuckers start bitching over some power bullshit just to have some feeling of adequacy in their old age.
>>
>>2720357
Lmao
>>2720429
Theyll work the only thing that's not ideal is theyll give the fish more leverage.
>>2720462
>>2720460
Just tell them to cram it wherever their people traditionally cram things and remind them that in most states angler harassment is illegal
>>
>>2720462
Damn Anon, i’m sorry that’s happening to you…I’m not sure why people are like that, there could be regional explanations. If I had to guess people are really alienated and cut off from human and nature experiences so they react very erratically when confronted with someone partaking.

Maybe keep a GoPro with you just in case they try to assault you.

>>2720419
Good point, I was unsure if it’s something where I need to give it a little 5 second gap or just rush for the rod. Better luck next wednesday..
>>
I got skunked today. I also got my chatterbait stuck in a tree, but I waded in the water, nearly falling several times, and I got it out. The water was pleasantly cool. I look forward to wet wading soon. You know when the wind blows your line in the tree? That's what happened here.
I eagerly await the opportunity to go fly fishing. Skid, how do you build your leaders? I'm thinking of going hand-tied. I put a heavy kink in my leader when I was checking out the reel at home, which made me realize I need to have tippet building material on me or additional leaders.
When I got into fishing again, a little less than a year ago, I bought the Big Bite Bait Box or something. It has 1/16 and 1/8 oz jigs with a large assortment of soft plastic grubs. My local store really only stocks Bobby Garlands. Should I go with those or buy plastics online? Also, do you guys ever store soft plastics in tackle boxes or the original plastic packaging? I'm trying to figure out my organization system.
>>
>>2720651
always leave your soft plastics in the bags, they reseal for a reason. nothing will really happen if you have all the same kind, aside from the colors potentially bleeding together, but if you mix and match soft plastics together it often causes a chemical breakdown and you are left with a pile of mess and lost money.
>>
it's that warm time of the year...
> walking through woods and tall brush
> snakes
not scared
> big ol spiders crawling up your back
oh hell no
>>
>>2720460
>>2720462
just ignore them and tell them to call the cops or YOU will. that usually makes most of them fuck off because they know theiy're full of shit if it's public and you're allowed to fish. if they're liberal karen type play uno reverse card and tell them they're on indigenous lands where people fished for thousands of years before they came and built their town homes, starbucks, and trader joes.
>>
>>2720651
>Skid, how do you build your leaders? I'm thinking of going hand-tied. I put a heavy kink in my leader when I was checking out the reel at home, which made me realize I need to have tippet building material on me or additional leaders.
I just saw your reply to the other guy, Skid. I heard from someone at my local store that the included leader is only for yard use. The poundage and length advice is helpful. My only question now is knots. What knot do I tie so that I can have that loop to loop connection? I just learned how to tie the arbor knot, which I greatly prefer to the double uni. Can I use that when building my leader? How many leaders do you take with you.
>>
>>2720654
+1 on this. Also if you use soft plastics as trailers on stuff with skirts like spinnerbaits and such, be careful storing it long term like that. I’ve had the soft plastic and the skirt melt together before, and it normally sort of wrecks the tackle box too unless you want to spend a lot of time scraping the gooey shit off.
>>
File: 20240411_215708.jpg (755 KB, 4000x3000)
755 KB
755 KB JPG
Had a nice night last week and then this fucker decided to scare away all the fish.
>>
>>2720462
Just don't forget harassing fishermen is a crime.
>>
Should I add another medium heavy fast rod to my collection
>>
>>2720656
Something I do sometimes if I want them to leave me alone is I’ll start speaking a language I know they won’t understand like jamaican patois or Haitian Creole or I’ll mix multiple languages together into one sentence for good measure since people usually nope out when they think the perosn they’re speaking too only speaks some language they can’t understand. Usually I’ll tell them I’ll fuck their mothers dirty pussy in creole because even if they speak French fluently they wouldn’t know what language I was speaking. Sometimes I’ll flat out say I understand them perfectly but to suck my dick in whichever language. Even better that I’m not black lol. Most times I only have to repeat whatever phrase I decided on one time before they stop pestering me and assume it’s futile/I don’t speak English but every now and again you get one of those dip shits who just starts screaming louder and louder. This reminds me, I gotta go back to where that one Karen was this morning.
>>
>>2720694
I know that, it’s why I didn’t leave and wanted them to show up. I and many others have fished that place pretty often never been an issue so idk why she decided to try and make it one. I swear these people don’t have anything better to do
>>
I keep finding dead carp at one of my spots. I know most people don’t care for them, but I like them. It took me weeks to finally catch one and they fight great. I’m fairly certain they’re placed there intentionally to help control invasive plants but I’ve heard they fuck with native species eggs and shit idk how true that is though. They’re still marked as illegal to harvest where I am, but these aren’t even being harvested they’re just being killed and left.
What can I do about it? They’re amazing sports fish for those with the patience to catch them and it’s a little infuriating some faggot is going around killing them, probably with a bow, and not even eating them at least.
>>
>>2720713
They're a pest, mate. They've fucked the Murray River and just about any freshwater spots near me. However, there's rumours of gigantic carp not too far from me, so I'm keen to try chasing one for the fun of it.
>>
>>2720734
My feelings are mixed because of the conflicting info I read and hear. I hear the destroy everything, I hear killing the occasional big carp causes more harm since they eat their own eggs. Idk man. My waters are so fucked full of invasives anyways, I genuinely don’t think any difference can be made. I guess one lake at a time it can
>>
It's in spanish but you can appreciate the process of making an artisanal bamboo rod and fly .
https://youtu.be/C5_0Yx_X3NE
>>
>>2720713
Trash fish, I would kill them too if I could.
>>
>>2720713
What kind of carp? If common carp in the US, they are a naturalized non-native species. They were harmful once but have since stabilized, and what damage they have done is already done so there is little point in killing them but they also have near 0 protections depending on the state. Some states like MN have wanton waste or littering laws that might cover it, but it depends on the game warden.

Grass carp are often stocked as triploids, which means they cannot breed and are being used as vegetation control. These shouldn't be killed, but wild populations that are breeding are invasive and spreading and often have catch and kill rules.

Then there are a shitton of native species that look like carp (buffalo, suckers, redhorse, carpsuckers). As rough fish they generally have no protection but a game warden might care a little more than they would about common carp.

If you catch them leaving fish on the bank and your state has waste rules you can probably call a game warden. Sadly it's one of those things that is rarely enforced for slobs are free to leave fish all over the banks.
>>
*ruins your fishing spot then laughs at you*
These fucking chads keep bullying me. Two saw me catch a crappie then just started fucking diving all around me then the fishing went to shit. Can't be mad because it's neat, but fuck off!
>>
>>2720766
Red eyed clever devils!
>>
>>2720658
>that loop to loop
Perfection loop
>>2720651
> I need to have tippet building material on me or additional leaders.
Accurate
>original plastic packaging
>>2720651
>wet wading soon
You can get your feet in the door for waders by wet wadeing, I use the same boots I use on my stocking foot waders for wet wadeing, I just use neoprene socks to mimic the stocking feet of the waders
>>2720658
>arbor knot
No
>double uni.
Serviceable
Learn to tie a blood knot, or if you insist on easy do a double or triple surgeon's knot
>>
>>2720764
I’m fairly sure they’re triploids. They have biofags out in boats there often doing whatever they do, and I’ve seen fish be dumped once but wasn’t close enough to see what kind. All other fish in there are bass, gar, snakeheads, catfish. The water they’re in has always had an issue with invasive vegetation. Like, almost unfishable level. It only just started to clear up. I’m also pretty sure whoever’s doing it is snagging them so there’s that too. There’s probably only been about 15 of them total I’ve seen 3 dead the last month. More and more people are starting to fish this spot recently, and this is the shit that’s happening now. I’m pretty sure it’s just some retard who thinks he knows what he’s doing but doesn’t have a clue, doing it as some virtue signal.
The ironic part, there’s plecos he could be doing this shit to.

Further research into this, yes they are triploids.
>>
File: 20220805_035006.jpg (1.28 MB, 3006x3488)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>2720766
This guy used to hang out with me at the pier. My rule was I'd throw him my bait if 20 minutes went by without a bite. He was very well behaved.
>>
got some Simms G3 waders for 350 off on Sierra, now I just need the boots.

Is the Simms FUD true? lots of r3dditors freaking out over the buy out. I got them for hunting/fishing/cleaning up the stream in my property. Obviously be careful with them but Gore products usually requires a certain level of quality..
>>
File: tomoko fish.png (78 KB, 311x329)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
How often are you harassed by the state when fishing?

Was wondering how likely it is to be bothered by government tyrants when hunting/fishing with no license in extremely rural areas anywhere along the Appalachians (including NH/Maine), or if you ran into the bush wearing camo when you spot them how likely they'd be to chase
>>
>>2720891
I get checked maybe once or twice a year when fishing in CO and MN. Never once been checked in ND so it varies from state to state. They definitely go out of their way to check less popular, hidden areas on purpose exactly to find people like you. If you try to run, they will 100% chase because they will assume you have more to hide than just not having a fishing license, and do a much more thorough check because they will be pissed.

Incidentally, on popular waters they are pretty obvious with marked vehicles/boats and are mostly going from fisherman to fisherman checking licenses and not much else. In out of the way places they will blend in and glass people for awhile to see if they are breaking any laws.
>>
>>2720891
Maine here, wardens will absolutely fuck your shit up, just get a license it’s like 40 dollars for fish and hunt
>>
Anyone else feel bad fishing with soft plastics?
all those lost baits can't be good for the environment and fish
thinking of pouring some biodegradable ones
>>
>>2720919
I am going to buy an insulated tent, cold temperature rated clothes, solar/batteries, and live somewhere along the Appalachians full time trying to find a stealthy spot where I won't be bothered by tyrants, somewhere you can't see from any trail and is physically hard to get to where the pigs won't check

Might look for a mountainside dugout/cave and build a more permanent structure

I'll still have a bank account with savings and go out to buy supplies, but playing along with tyrant's licenses and fees and rules is not part of the plan.
>>
>>2720891
>>2720924
it's hilarious that you've never fished or hunted or probably even camped and think that's a good idea
>>
>>2720924
you are fucking retarded, and i can tell you’ve never done anything outdoors and arrogantly think you can just “live”
outside and “hunt” deer. i hope
you check yourself into a mental institution before poaching animals.
>>
>>2720942
So when you pay for your cuck license it's hunting, but if I don't pay the cuck license to a tyrannical police state then it's poaching?

Got it.

>arrogantly think you can just “live”
Doubt all you want. I'll make it work or die trying.
>>
>tfw no big titty korean fishing gf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W3NwUmszc8
>>
>>2720950
i unironically have one of these and she catches more brown trout than me
>>
>>2720946
>I'll die trying
we know, retard
>>
>>2720696
That’s not a bad price. Makes me want to consoom even though I have one of them Revos. I almost grabbed a Pfleuger reel from Walmart the other day because it was like $20 off of $40 or $50 and it’s my favorite 25 size.
>>
>>2720922
I’m 90% sure they degrade in a decent amount of time or they would be outlawed faster than lead weights and you would find them everywhere.

Reminds me of picrel, this snakehead that was fat as hell, was curious if it was a mama and found picrel inside.
>>
>>2720891
You're dumb. But I can't say much because when I went fishing today I forgot my wallet.
>>
>>2720922
I mostly use stuff that says it's biodegradable. Like over half of what I have is Gulp and that stuff is mostly biodegradable. Also I am working on my own prepared bait. I don't feel great about using plastic stuff that's for sure.
>>
Bluegill finally got me with those spikes. I got too comfortable with the little bastards. He slashed my pinky. But I put a hook into his face so fair is fair.
>>
>>2720968
That invasive just learned America isn't all rainbows and gumdrops.
>>
>>2720950
If a woman fishes they are probably gay.
>>
>>2720996
It happens to the best of us
>>2721002
Imagine not wanting to fish and talk about pussy with a big titty asian lesbian.
>>
>>2721006
Most guys wouldn't bother after they find out. Or they already have fishing buddies.
>>
Going fishing for the first time in 3 months. Bought me a gx ugly stick.
>>
>>2721013
They're missing out then, why wouldnt a straight guy want a step by step guide oh how to eat pussy from someone who has one
>>
>>2720950
Korean "women" are all caked with makeup and bogged by plastic surgery, including that one.
>>
File: nicker.jpg (12 KB, 376x256)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Had to circumsize my flyline by about 8-9 inches. I found out today the space under the tip managed to cut into it and nicked it pretty bad (no wonder the top piece felt really tight taking off) Will that really impact performance? How much in general is safe to snip off if you have to from a line tip? Pretty sure I busted it trying to pull on a really bad snag. Lined the rod straight (or so I thought) to pull on the line itself and I guess the line got caught without me realizing...
>>
>>2721002
imagine the lesbo sex
>>
>>2720801
>>arbor knot
>No
>>double uni.
>Serviceable
>Learn to tie a blood knot, or if you insist on easy do a double or triple surgeon's knot
Sorry. I'm kind of retarded. I meant Albright knot. I'll learn the blood knot eventually, or immediately if needed, but I'd like to hear why the Albright knot is bad, if it is indeed bad. I just a double uni for leaders previously, and I hated how it moved through rod guides, which is less of a problem in fly fishing; I'm just curious in general, I guess.
>>
File: flyfishing.png (1.17 MB, 1140x713)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
I want to get into fly fishing, but rods are so expensive. I saw a cheap rod and reel for around $60. I know this rod is probably beyond useless, but might be a good rod to learn on.
Should I buy it? Or should I just go for the more professional beginner rod at around $180?
>>
>>2721035
>Albright knot
N O
If you double the fly line over to tie an Albright you both fuck the taper in the line, and the knot isnt straight which is bad for energy transfer.
If you just mean for mono/mono in the leader, that's less awful, but the straight splice knots are better off energy transfer and so better for fly leaders
Double uni is an inline knot
Blood is inline
The double surgeon's knot isn't totally straight but it's less kinked than an Albright
>>2721032
That's a big oof. What rod is that? Theres usually about a foot of level line at the end of a fly line before the taper starts proper, though depending on application you can do some weird stuff with fly lines. I once cut near 10 feet off of a 9 weight general purpose line to make a short, aggressive 6 weight line.

See if you can do something about that opening im n the tip, my gut instinct would be to put a drop of uv cure resin in the open end of that tube but idk what you have access to
>>
File: wRzUpXK.png (617 KB, 823x551)
617 KB
617 KB PNG
>>2720968
They do not biodegrade. They are plastic lmao. They just get covered up on the bottom after a bit in weedy lakes. IMO it's a bit wild that plastics aren't banned or even really that controversial. Lead is only controversial because it kills birds. Powerbait is another fun one, it is literally just flavored plastic paste. You are actually just fishing with microplastics when you use the stuff.

Incidentally, in lakes with both smallmouth and lake trout people catch lakers with guts full of plastics because lakers scavenge shit off the bottom in spring when they come up shallow and people fish smallmouth in rocky areas where the plastics do not get covered up. Pic related, but not mine. I have caught lakers with plastics in their gut though.
>>
>>2720801
>>wet wading soon
>You can get your feet in the door for waders by wet wadeing, I use the same boots I use on my stocking foot waders for wet wadeing, I just use neoprene socks to mimic the stocking feet of the waders
I forgot to respond to this part. I already own waders, but I know they'll be terrible to use soon. A couple days ago, it was in the mid 80's, which is unusual but a sign of what is to come. Anyway, I found neoprene socks with a gravel guard online. They cost $50 and were on some random website. I'd like to hear what you recommend. And while we're on the subject of wet wading, I'd like to hear about what you use for pants / shorts. DrewLooknFishy insists on wearing some cheap but fast drying Wrangler pants, not shorts, and those look pretty good, but I've only worn shorts so far.
>>
>>2721042
I will learn the blood knot.
>>
>>2721039
If you insist on cheap, get the eagle claw yellow fly rod. You can get the combo for under 50, but I think you're better off spending a little extra money to buy the rod alone and slap on an echo base reel and scientific anglers air cel line.
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-FL300-7-Featherlight-2Piece/dp/B004APYJIK/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?adgrpid=129809604938&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.gBqENV_gwFhpPLAVJpDTFmuWLK9kKoGarb-6dRi5_pElqrFlw3-8HsE7AZVYyhEttMOmt6UU0TAfEKjyzmHuszHbP1VCGAPEV5cnUx7YCwnRlcbDLpl0x8RtoA5NNWPvElvHxhgQRFp6FUF-kyieywU97dMPf1REVng1SzqCMKTGDu9q9496-IplzhB7Omvt_bd-0coD9QXECpBa93Eprg.8hQgcRt1wcVyY2ahkHqW6L35dgEcV8zqHdbzbkfttv4&dib_tag=se&hvadid=617002372023&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9015369&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=14825528443884605075&hvtargid=kwd-300054257983&hydadcr=9847_13604435&keywords=eagle+claw+fly+rod+combo&qid=1713326699&sr=8-7

That one has some Engrish issues, it says 5/6lb instead of 5/6 weight. Youd want a 6 weight line to learn on, the heavier the will load the rod deeper and give more feel
The echo gecko kit is a good next step up in quality, but you can only get a 4 or 5 weight.
The echo lift kit would be about 180 and once you know what you're doing will generate higher line speeds, but wont nessecarily be easier to learn on than the other two.
>>2721035
Forgot to mention, tut o attatch mono to the fly line you want to tie a nail knot, then 6-12 inches down that mono do a perfection loop for a loop/loop connection. I can post pics tomorrow of what I have set up if need be.
>>
>>2721045
>neoprene socks
I found some on amazon for 20 bucks j think they were being sold as wetsuit booties
>wetwade pants
I only really wear 3 pairs of pants for anything anymore, they're all cqr ripstop nylon cargo pants. The magazine pocket fits a glock 17 mag perfectly and I can carry my fly box in the cargo pocket.
>>2721046
It's not that hard, I'm retarded too and I learned it. Just follow along to a youtube video. The 'toothpick trick's or "match stick trick" helps too.
>>
File: line.jpg (79 KB, 702x869)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>2721042
It's a Cabela's/whiteriver 8wt combo. And the line I think was a Cabela's brand line, White river vanguard floating wf. I was thinking about lining the tip with something since I don't wanna put a nice line on it just to risk something like that happen again, is a tip even supposed to be that sharp or have an end that open? My 5wt has a sealed tip and my featherlight is much smoother with a partially closed opening.
>>
>>2720922
no because I rarely lose mine the way I rig them. I feel worse using any kind of live bait, especially if I catching and releasing. I know some boomers will throw soft plastics back in the water after they're overused, that's retarded behavior.
>>2721000
75% of fish species in america are invasive to the areas they;re in. this includes common sunfish, bass, catfish, etc. none of those used to be widespread across the entire us, but instead in their own regions.
>>
>>2721044
every waterway is fucked unless you are extremely rural, and even those are probably fucked and nobody knows about it. dumping tires used to be common practice, along with all inds of other stuff... but farmers have already destroyed everything with pesticides, and deveopment means sewer runoff is a given.
>>
>>2721044
yeah, it's actually pretty fucking ridiculous and I'm surprised no one cares
>>
caught some bass and bluegill on the Eurotackle Z-spender and smallest Y-Zuri L-minnow. I've been waiting for warm weather hardbait fishing to finally come. The last couple of months have had back and forth weather that confused the fish. I still haven't even seen any bluegill beds which is weird as hell for the southeast.
>>
>>2721080
>>2721044
This. Only catch and release near a major waterway, if your town has over 50k people its a guaranteed polluted shitheap. Beach fishing in rural areas is best for eating
>>
Gonna pick this bad boy up tomorrow, is it OK to use 15lb mono when running with small jigheads and 2inch grubs?
>>
>>2721049
>is a tip even supposed to be that sharp or have an end that open
No, plug it with something il ng like a drop of epoxy or uv resin
>>2721096
You'll get shit for casting distance. Youd want 6 or 8 pound mono for that. 15 pound braid with a mono leader would be acceptable however.
>>
>>2721096
why would you even need that kind of line for small jigheads? only legitimate reason would be toothy fish.
>>
>>2721101
Snook, bream, wrasse etc are all pretty toothy down here, mate.
>>
>>2721024
When you say it that way it does sound like a good idea kek.
>>
>>2721107
Braid mainline, mono leader
>>2721116
Why do straight dudes need the idea spoon fed to them by a gay furry though, damn, bro too busy trying to have sex to take opportunities to get his head game on point
>>
I'm not really a sane person but damn does pollution piss me off.
>>
>>2721126
>I'm not really a sane person
No one fun is, but that doesnt inherently make you fun. Dressing up in a gillie suit and sitting in a planter and making animal sounds at pedestrians makes you fun.
>>
>>2721128
That does sound fun.
>>
File: I0000k12.MG__cUg.jpg (349 KB, 1000x668)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
how do i get better at crawfish trapping? and i assume i can use the same traps for shore crabs in the ocean?
>>
>>2721133
Find somewhere not polluted. Almost everywhere is polluted.
>>
Multiple people have died over tree trimming disputes.
>>
>>2721044
What kind of net should I use to dredge up these things out of a shallow lake near me? I just want to clean up the place a bit.
>>
>>2721141
anything with a long handle and small holes should work
>>
>>2721147
Sounds easy enough, thanks.
>>
>>2721149
thanks for trying to keep the water clean bro
>>
>>2721164
np mate gotta make it up to the fish somehow after harassing them.
>>
>>2720357
Too true. If I really need to pick one up it's always grab the shell directly behind the head and above the tail and hold it as far from your body as possible. Best practice is to get it to bite a stick or something beforw you go for it.

Life has been busy and I haven't been fishing for almost 2 years. Is suffix 832 still the gold standard for braid?
>>
Yesterday I found a small lake off a river and could see a ton of bass in it. Water was pretty clear. The bass were swimming and patrolling around the bank.
They wouldn't even look at the lures I was throwing. They would swim right past them every time.
I threw a spinner and saw a bass bite it but he didnt get it good enough and swam away.

Right before it got dark a few bass started to chase my frog but they would never bite it.

I'm going back tomorrow. What should I do to get a bite?
>>
>>2721269
Scale up or scale down, drastically. Are you using braid? You might need a flouro or mono leader if the water is that clear.
>>
>>2721272
20lb braid with a 10lb flouro leader.
I'll bring my ultralight out with me and toss some of my trout lures tomorrow.
>>
>>2721149
>>2721141
>>2721175
Just be careful about it, the bottom of the lake is where most aquatic invertebrates live, where most vegetation grows, where most fish lay their eggs, and you dont want to accidentally make things worse when you're trying to help.
That said, good on you wanting to clean,I keep trash bags in my glove box and heavily reccomend it.
>>2721258
Power pro
>>2721269
Cruising bass are some of the hardest to catch; you're either going to need to double down on the finesse presentation and go super small and slow, or you might need to double down on reaction strikes by burning larger moving baits.
>>2721269
>Right before it got dark a few bass started to chase my frog but they would never bite it.
It doesnt always work but sometimes doing nothing is what gets you bit. I've had bass refuse topwater fished slowly but then eat topwater that's been dead still after almost a full minute of staring.
>>
>fish popular spot
>only spot in the lake with active panfish
>always loud obnoxious retards who come camp right next to me to wash worms, catch branches, and leave garbage behind.
>bring decoy beater rod with just a bobber next to me
>gaggle of retards still camp near me, but put themselves in the worst spot and trip over each other catching branches every other cast

I might bring a third rod next time, maybe actually try rigging one up even thougt that spot is only good for panfish and dinks atm.
>>
First time I've seen this.

Was fishing for some bass.
After my lure hit the water the bass would hit my line what landed on top. They would hit it right in the middle between the lure and myself. They did this a few times but would not hit frogs once I switched to them.
Got a turtle though.
What do I do in this situation?
>>
>>2721406
Try a fly rod and a midge dry fly
>>
WHAT COLOR DO I USE
>>
>>2721359
Yeah I figure I need to avoid the little guys. Wait till they are done nesting ect. This lake is devoid of plants though. Most likely they put chemicals in to kill the plants.
>>
>>2721418
Yellow
>>
>>2721418
Hot florescent pink with piss yellow accents.
>>
>>2721420
I just watched a video of a guy scuba diving to clean up a river. I think that's the only way to do it in an environmentally friendly way.
In my town (small city), there is a river with 3 significant dams. There's a fourth, but it's off to the side and making a reservoir, so it's kind of irrelevant for this discussion. It's 3.5 miles from the lowest dam, a popular fishing spot, to the middle dam. From there, it is 5 more miles to the uppermost dam, and this spot isn't particularly good for fishing. I wish my town removed the middle dam. I also wish that there was some way where our waterways would be cleaned of trash, like the scuba guy. Scuba diving to remove trash is not feasible and definitely not consider safe right below a dam, so it's never going to happen anytime soon.
>>
I practiced my fly casting in the yard today. I did a pretty decent job. I think that this could be an enjoyable way to fish. I can cast a decent amount of line, but I have two problems. First, I struggle to feed more fly line to the air. It feels as though it's not moving fast enough. Second, my fly line isn't perfectly straight when it lands in the water. Is this fine, or is there a way to get it straighter? It seemed as though that following through and pointing my rod down on my release helped this issue. Perhaps, part of it is that I was fishing in the grass.
>>
>>2721466
Learn to double haul if you want more distance but realistically in practice you don't need to cast very far. Dave Hueghs Reading Trout Waters taught me this Great book, would recommend.
Your line hand does most if the work for line control. Your rod hand just points it where to go.
Straightness is determined by line speed and tight loops.
Mad River Outfitters has great videos.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQWrNcNbEVXYth5HcNIWuZLPx1IR7JV-x
You don't have to watch them all but the first dozen or so are a great intro. It fixed most of my issues. Lefty Kreh also has some great videos floating around. I'm shit at explaining things but I have resources.
>>
File: IMG_1575.jpg (3.48 MB, 2190x4257)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
Was able to get several catches on GoPro a few days ago. Today reviewed it. Only two out of the 6 you could see…my hand blocked most of the footage during the fight. Sigh.

Anyway interested seeing it?
>>
>>2721454
Aquatic life is taking Ls every way.
>>
>>2721418
Pink
>>
>>2721258
a common snapping turtle can actually get your hand when you hold it behind the head, unlike an alligator snaper. better to pick those up with your hand on each side of the shell.
>>
>>2721269
that's how they are when they spawn. especially tough in smaller bodies of water. those are male bass guarding the eggs/fry. it can be extremely hard or damn-near impossible to get them to bite, but usually you have to trigger a reaction bite. I don't really fish the beds when they're spawning unless I know a body of water has an overabundance of bass, but burning a tiny sub-surface hardbait past them can work. slow fishing a soft plastic on the bottom can also work, but they are more focused on keeping other fish away from the bed than eating, so a worm doesn't really immitate another fish that well. when they do strike, they don't really fully commit. they basically just suck it in and spit it out quick.
>>
File: 20240416_092909.jpg (3.59 MB, 4032x2268)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
big watersnake eating swallowing a fish
>>
File: 1713424756622.jpg (2.53 MB, 2560x1600)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
Do you people take self defense by any chance ?
>>
>>2721556
Skid mentioned on Tuesday night that he takes a Glock 17 with him.
>>
If I want to go carp fishing locally and might go steelhead fishing in the future, do I get a 7 WT? Would this also make a good bass rod?
>>
>>2721556
yeah I carry
>>
>>2721564
>>2721569
I was being a dumb fuck and just kept walking the lake almost in the middle of nowhere in the forest. I was thinking, someone could have easily snuck up on me zodiac killer style while i was playing with the rocks like a child.
>>
File: fish_grippers.jpg (205 KB, 1683x769)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>2721556
No because I am an expert caster. If someone tries to attack me I simply give them a face full of treble hooks at 60+mph.
>>
Can anyone recommend a decent starter kit that comes with a rod and lures?
>>
>>2721669
No such thing. Get a rod and reel from daiwa and pick your own lures.
>>
>>2721680
How do I decide on a rod?
>>
>>2719622
Do you plan on keeping anything you catch while with the motorcycle or is it more of a catch and release situation?
>>
>>2721685
choosing what tackle to purchase varies on what species are accessible in your region and which of those you would like to target

If you're interested in trout, an ultra-light set up with a variety of spinners, lures, and tackle for bait like worms or powerbait. If you're interested in bass or other warm water species, something a little stronger, and different lures like senkos, chatter baits, frogs, etc.

Saltwater is a different game.
>>
>>2721669
what kinds of places do you plan to fish? region?
>>
>>2721696
That makes sense, is there a website to figure out your local species?
>>
>>2721701
Lakes, ponds, streams. I'm in the Northeast.
>>
Going to go for striped bass in my local river. Tons of videos are being posted from that river recently so I know the bite is good.
It will be my first time fishing for striped bass. Some people are pulling out monsters and some normal sized.
Will my medium heavy be alright for this?
20 lb braid?
Do I need a leader for striped bass?
What bait do I use?
Can I use lures or do I need to just sit and wait as if I was carp fishing :(?
>>
>>2721737
then just get a medium light rod so you can fish for both panfish and bass, pickerel, whatever else.
>>
>>2721750
A tidal river or do you mean wipers?
>>
>>2721754
IDK what that means bro I'll be at the Sacramento and American river.
>>
>>2721573
yeah I feel that
better safe than sorry
>>
>>2721756
Gotcha.
MH and 20lb braid sounds fine to me. I use a 8' ML in the early season with small jigs and soft plastics, might be a little light for a heavier setup. My favorite has been a 4" Fin-S Fish in arkansas shiner with a 3/8 or 1/2 zman head but it sounds like you might have more current to deal with and a heavier rod anyways so you probably need more weight. I'd go for a flouro or mono leader, really can't hurt. Do you have anything particularly toothy over there to worry about getting bitten off?
>>
Anyone care to help a guy get into this hobby? I tend to camp near lakes so I figured I should do something with them if I'm going to stare at them for so long.

I know next to nothing about fishing, I did go with my dad but only when I was very young and he never taught me anything about it. The most I ever caught was a red snapper using a stick, fishing line, and a piece of styrofoam in a pond when I went to visit my cousins as a kid.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I'm from the Northeastern United States. I'll likely be fishing around the NY/NJ/PA areas and in lakes/ponds. I could use some recommendations on poles, preferably one I can easy collapse or break down as I prefer to backpack to my campsites. Also information on what gauge of line to use as well as the size of hook to use for the type of fish I can expect. I'd like to start out with the most common and easiest to catch. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2721775
Do you want to sit down and relax while you catch fish or do you want to constantly cast the rod?
>>
>>2721776
Thanks for the quick response! I'd prefer to sit down and relax. I think that if I cast it too much starting out, I'll start thinking that I'm scaring the fish away.
>>
>NEW!!!!!
>>2721788
>>2721788
>>2721788
>>2721788
>>
>>2721779
Look up some carp rigs. I don't fish for them so I don't know a lot but they are in almost every lake and stream. You can cast out and wait all day.
>>
File: handreel.png (520 KB, 1080x816)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
>>2721779
For portability and just starting out in ponds and streams, you can't really beat a hand reel. I always keep one in my pack even when I'm carrying rods. You can just set it and forget it, or sit down and get really hands-on. Versatile
>>
>>2721567
idk about steelhead but a 7wt is perfect for bass and carp.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.98 MB, 4032x3024)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
Ironically filtered by lines. How do I feed line through the eyelets and why isn't it reeling in or out?
>>
>>2723503
I took off the reel using the gear knob by twisting till it popped off and there was a line tangled up in the internal gear if it helps. I've already wasted several yards due to tangling
>>
>>2723507
Fixed, reeling now. https://youtu.be/WKoPJd6g9CE?si=aMEVnSSalQ_7dhC4

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.