[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: decisivemoment.jpg (227 KB, 600x897)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
decisive moment edition

/fgt/ daily reminder (courtesy by anon): one stop per decade is (generally) bullshit
>negative film ages better than positive
>black and white better than color
>slow films better than fast
>storage conditions (dry/cool) matter more than years
>Negative film is shot 1 or 2 stops overexposed and then PULLED in development so that you build more density in the exposure and develop less such that the fog is limited
>slide/positive film is shot at box speed or overexposed and pulled.
>if you home develop you can also use benzotriazole as a restrainer for the the first developer in E6 process

Useful links
>[massive dev chart] gives times for home film development
https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php
>[film dev] shows results of development regimes
https://filmdev.org/
>[news & community links]
35mmc.com
casualphotophile.com
kosmofoto.com
emulsive.org
japancamerahunter.com

>THREAD QUESTION
Who or what influences your photography the most? Share a photo that demonstrates this influence.
>>
>>4318694
I hate this photo. It is the pinnacle of street snapshittery and anyone who says it's great is devoid of any artistic sense.
>>
>>4318704
t. Stupid fingers
>>
>>4318704
I think capturing the person jumping would be one thing sure, but the poster in the back makes the photo good.

>Who or what influences your photography the most? Share a photo that demonstrates this influence.
>>
File: uhh-2.jpg (2.72 MB, 3130x2075)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
>>4318722
forgot to answer question whoops. Old Jap. and French movies inspire the photos I want to take the most. Picture unrelated.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 13.2 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2024:05:29 13:39:34
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>4318704
Can you go into detail as to why it is so bad?
>>
>>4318734
It's not actually a bad photo, but people's insistence that it is a great photo is what causes it to be so bad. In reality it's an unremarkable snapshit. You see dozens of these posted to /p/ every week.

The photo isn't a decisive moment as people keep parroting because in order for it to be a decisive of a moment the moment must have meaning. Jumping over a puddle is not meaningful, it does not speak a higher order truth, it doesn't even evoke any emotion.

What this photo actually is, is the essence of an action, the frame when a jump visually becomes a jump. It represents the photographer's skill with a camera. This would have been a pretty difficult shot, but that's it. It's demonstrative of his mechanical, operational skill with a camera, which is impressive, but a skilled shot isn't the same thing as a good photo.

It's not wholly bad. The atmosphere is nice, the fog, and everyone being cloaked in shadow. The mirroring effect of the water creating an inverse image is kinda cool. But those elements would be improved by removing the jumping man. The actually great shot imo, is the shadowy figures huddled around an iron gate in ruins. He just didn't take that photo, he took a photo of a man trying to keep his pants dry.
>>
>>4318722
>the poster makes it good
Elaborate on why you think this, please.
>>
File: IMG_2066.jpg (943 KB, 1284x1561)
943 KB
943 KB JPG
See oddball Kodak films like 2366 for good prices on fleabay from china, are these fools gold? I can get 20 rolls of 2366 for 7cad per roll which is (sadly) a good price here. But apparently it’s iso 6 film. Is this a meme film or is such a low iso actually usable beyond stil life studio stuff? Anyone use anything like it before?

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution216 dpi
Vertical Resolution216 dpi
Image Width1284
Image Height1561
>>
File: par44919.jpg (1.57 MB, 5000x3374)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>4318738
The poster in the background mirrors what is happening with the jumping guy. It's life imitating art in a fleeting moment.

Camera ModelXY-15
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
Photographer©H.CARTIER BRESSON/MAGNUM PHOTOS
Image Width12426
Image Height8384
Compression SchemeUnknown
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2012:05:04 09:29:16
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width5000
Image Height3374
>>
>>4318694
>Who or what influences your photography the most?
impressing anons on /fgt/
>Share a photo that demonstrates this influence.
no photo cuz I never get replies lmao
>>
File: film109_b.jpg (74 KB, 520x422)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
Need recommendations for a good beginner film camera. I tried an old folding camera (agfa solinette) but the shutter quit on me, so now I'm thinking about getting a canon t50 or similar. Figured I should probably get an SLR or rangefinder to start with anyway (so half my photos aren't blurry). Preferably fully manual but I'm open to other types

might try a folding camera again one day though, probably medium format
>>
>>4318812
Probably a sinar norma.
>>
>>4318812
Pentax Spotmatic
>>
File: IMG_2001.jpg (1.59 MB, 3024x4032)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>4318812
just get an eos 650 or something else cheap and embrace the fully electronic fully autofocus life anon, i mean, why are you shooting film, for the "muh manual camera" larp, or for the images?
>t. eos 1 enjoyer

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 13 Pro Max
Camera Software17.4.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2024:05:03 17:02:46
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Brightness-0.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length1.57 mm
Image Width3024
Image Height4032
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Digital Zoom Ratio1.9
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 7Q0A6948.jpg (4.49 MB, 4172x5964)
4.49 MB
4.49 MB JPG
>>4318443
took the time to properly set up the mirrorless and grab the rest of the test shots from the minox 35. Turns out scale/zone focusing leads to a lot of soft images kek. still, it kinda metering close is a win since it was supposedly broken. Guess i just have to practice scale focusing to get a better feel for it. or just use delta 3200 and never leave f16.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS R
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Created2024:05:29 20:18:11
Exposure Time1/8 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4318817
I guess I figured I'd enjoy the slowed down process of manual and I wanted an older looking camera anyway, but I did look at canon rebels and the minolta dynax
>>
File: uhh 2.jpg (2.78 MB, 3130x2075)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>4318827
I endorse Canon Rebels. Dollar for dollar the best film camera ever made. pic related.

Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelEZ Controller
Image Created2024:05:29 19:00:56
>>
>>4318836
If we’re going canon film, I’d say step up from a rebel to at least like an elan ii or an a2 or something. Still just as cheap but more featureful. Rebels were the entry level grandma tier cameras, though they do still work very nicely.
>>
>more than a century of different cameras brands from all over the world that can be used with film
>Faggots always default to their canonikon japshit garbage
>>
>>4318882
>shooting film as an excuse to anachronistically larp rather than using the tool that will give you the best results in the simplest manner
I guess it’s the difference between car guys who like to drive and car who care more about wrenching.
>>
>>4318903
anachronistic larping is all that's left, man
>>
File: whoops-1.jpg (2.04 MB, 2075x2594)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>4318882
sometimes I just don't want to think about any of the settings or focus.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 7.3 (Windows)
Image Created2024:05:29 23:44:16
>>
>>4318882
>japshit garbage
then why is it the default?
>>
Cyanotype via Large Format dipshit here
Update on it so far; I successfully took 4 images, a fifth was underexposed too much. However, i've had issues in dev where the chemistry simply washes off the paper.
I think this is due to the bottom part of the chem layer not being affected enough by the UV. Did a test dev on one of those four images where I burned it in under a UV for a minute, and it seemed to help though I had a heap of chemistry come off the page and splotch on the image.
Trying three new papers this weekend, going to expose for much longer (three hours min) and also have pre-flashed an alternate for each paper stock for one minute under UV lights (strong enough that 10mins fully exposes a negative on them). Will report back once this all shakes out.

It's fun though!
>>
>>4318742
>iso 6 positive b&w duplicating film
Yeah I would probably not start with 20 rolls but the sample pictures don't look half bad. It's UV sensitive so you could get some interesting effects.
Keep in mind kodak doesn't put expiration dates on the film so your chinese supplier could have found the spool after it sat in a warehouse since 1995
>>
File: Fujifilm Velvia 100F-28.jpg (124 KB, 1497x1000)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>4318694
It's hard to say what I think influences it, i'm really bad at reflection on my work, and so much of what I do is, not formulaic, but I guess outcome driven. I guess when it comes to my personal film work, I compare a lot of my flower and garden photography to my mother's work, trying to capture an idealised vision of what I see her style as. It's about capturing the flower fully but not in a way that exposes it's flaws I guess? Almost like photographing a woman as corny as that sounds.

Pic isn't hers, but it's the closest I feel I've come to it

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 10.0 (Windows)
Image Created2021:02:13 17:05:09
>>
>>4319016
cute
>>
>>4319014
Yeah seems risky but they only offer decent pricing on bulk lots (though I suppose that’s a Costco type fallacy). Maybe I’ll just stick to the basics for now. I was more interested by the price than by that stock itself.
>>
>>4319013
>However, i've had issues in dev where the chemistry simply washes off the paper.
I think this is due to the bottom part of the chem layer not being affected enough by the UV.
For classic cyanotype using FAC this is the normal behavior and means it was not yet fully exposed. Basically everything below a certain exposure is washed away and only once that threshold is reached, additional exposure will start building density.
This can be adjusted by increasing the acid content of the first wash, e.g. if you soak it in 10% vinegar or 1% sulphamic before the actual wash it should retain more of the image. This lowers the contrast, obviously.
>>
>>4319117
the second sentence should of been a quote, too :/
>>
>>4319013
Good work! Alternative process photography can have some pretty steep learning curves, keep at it and youll get there. Wet plate colloidion sure does... Im around 100 plates in and I still have a long ways to go.
>>
File: plnt.jpg (2.86 MB, 1604x2420)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
>>4318742
>ISO 6
bro... positive b/w is cool but you'll 100% need a tripod or shoot wide open in the middle of the day handheld which defeats the sharpness of positives/slides. It won't take pushing too well either... likely not worth it except creative/studio work.

>>
>>4319151
It's super high contrast film, so pulling would actually be beneficial when using it for pictorial work.
>>
File: VetteC6.jpg (2.94 MB, 1604x2420)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
>>4319152
True but then you'd risk 'thinning out' the film too much... IMO no matter what you do in dev, ISO 6 is gonna be tough to handhold.

>>
>>4319151
Yeah I was playing around with an exposure calculator to see what settings would work to match ev15/sunny 16, and it could work at f4 or larger but that’s pretty limiting. Might be good to get muh bokeh snapshits in bright daylight though, I think my eos 5 goes to 1/8000 lol
>>
>>4318737
The merit is being the first cool looking snapshit.
At least Henri hung out at compositionally promising locations for hours for that scene to manifest itself, that is worth something
>>
>>4318812
Don't you have fathers and grandfathers old camera gear?
>>
>>4319192
He's a good photographer, I like a lot of his other photos. But this is not a good photo. Yet it receives so much acclaim
>>
Just an fyi for anyone trying to do high magnification wetplate macro shots...

The aluminum plates are not flat enough. You need to use float glass if you want good results...
>>
File: IMG_4019.jpg (2.62 MB, 3578x2433)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>tfw you bring all your nice lenses to Gibraltar just to have forgotten your pro quality film

At least pro image 100 did well for the bright light and is a little more fine grained than Ultramax

Equipment MakeFUJI PHOTO FILM CO., LTD.
Camera ModelSP-3000
Camera SoftwareFDi V4.5 / FRONTIER355/375-1.8-0E-016
Photographerchetdepue@gmail.com
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2024:05:22 08:51:41
Image Width3578
Image Height2433
>>
>>4319225
My edit attempt

Camera ModelSP-3000
Camera SoftwarePhotoshop Express 24.19.0.8262
Image Created2024:05:30 21:00:51
Image Width2256
Image Height3317
>>
>>4319226
The original looks a lot better on my screen. Your edit is mega blue.
>>
>>4318742
ISO 6 is basically worthless
Photography is basically impossible under 20 iso besides some super autistic studio work or wanting to do a 15 minute long exposure in broad daylight like that first photo of the guy getting his shoe shined. If you want low ISO start with PANF 50 iso and if you like that try RPX 25 (this requires its own developer I think though).

Pic rel is a high res scan of PANF

Horizontal Resolution3900 dpi
Vertical Resolution3900 dpi
Image Width5381
Image Height3705
>>
>>4318737
>You see dozens of these posted to /p/ every week
>r3dd1t spacing
then surely you would be able to take one as well? you should post a similar photo that you took! surely you have one just as good
>>
File: dsc_3638.jpg (2.87 MB, 4000x6000)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB JPG
>>4319231
My favorite film tone is actually the look of the old vivid saturation Kodak films. The ideal film I would’ve wanted in Gibraltar probably would’ve had the color profile of Velvia 100 (which despite being legal in Europe is still impossible to find)

Here’s an unedited Nikon digital of Gibraltar. Perhaps it looked bluer to my human eye. I just didn’t want that washed out Africa piss filter look even though I was literally a stones throw from Africa.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7200
Camera SoftwareVer.1.01
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image Created2024:05:19 07:26:36
Exposure Time13981/44739201 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width4000
Image Height6000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>4319226
ken rockwell are you trolling /p/ again?
>>
File: IMG_4020.jpg (2.44 MB, 3578x2433)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>4319235
Nah, I’m not as crazy as Ken. He shoots everything like it’s a damn sunset in terms of saturation. Also I heard from another bro on this forum he sold all his fridge kept 220 velvia.

I guess I’m more used to how the sky looks in North America and how it’s affects my film (pic rel). Southern Spain/North Africa might be a little too suns washed for what I’m used to.

Camera ModelSP-3000
Image Created2024:05:22 08:59:25
Image Width3578
Image Height2433
>>
>>4319234
haha cheesin'
>>
File: IMG_3983.jpg (2.75 MB, 3578x2433)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>4319239
Ken would probably appreciate this phot though. Warming filter used on a 100mm prime f2.8 (as Ken himself described this lens like 20 years ago “laugh at the guys carrying their heavy $1500 lenses, this is the lightest and smallest tele Nikon ever made!”) and the peacocks are the type of animal that begs for oversaturation.

Camera ModelSP-3000
Image Created2024:05:22 08:50:28
Image Width3578
Image Height2433
>>
>>4319232
That looks like ass lmao
>>
>>4319244
After I posted it I realized it’s a shitty scan.
My schools scanners done autofocus and I don’t know how to properly find the plane of focus on them.

Horizontal Resolution3500 dpi
Vertical Resolution3500 dpi
Image Width4825
Image Height3191
>>
>>4319193
no, they always got disposables
>>
>>4319225
is it me or is nothing in focus
or is the lens just a bit soft
>>
File: IMG_20170628_0061.jpg (1.26 MB, 1732x1140)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanoScan 9000F Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 9.3.0 (Android)
Image Created2024:05:30 21:29:57
>>
File: Untitled11 (6).jpg (803 KB, 4332x2883)
803 KB
803 KB JPG

Equipment MakeEPSON
Camera ModelPerfection V800
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image Width4332
Image Height2883
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution3200 dpi
Vertical Resolution3200 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2019:01:04 11:17:14
Image Width4332
Image Height2883
>>
File: IMG_20170502_0007.jpg (1.48 MB, 2656x2664)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera SoftwareIJ Scan Utility
Horizontal Resolution1200 dpi
Vertical Resolution1200 dpi
Image Created2017/05/02 23:13:01
Image Width2656
Image Height2664
>>
File: IMG_20170404_0028.jpg (967 KB, 1684x1124)
967 KB
967 KB JPG

Equipment MakeCanon
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2017/04/04 22:42:58
Image Width1684
Image Height1124
>>
File: IMG_20161223_0044.jpg (429 KB, 1744x1132)
429 KB
429 KB JPG

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2016/12/23 19:11:34
Image Width1744
Image Height1132
>>
File: IMG_20170802_0039.jpg (507 KB, 3424x2288)
507 KB
507 KB JPG

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image Width3424
Image Height2288
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution2400 dpi
Vertical Resolution2400 dpi
Image Created2019:01:04 12:09:50
Image Width3424
Image Height2288
>>
>>4319296
me in the chair
>>
File: Capture.png (2.16 MB, 1591x1479)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB PNG
>>4319296
same vibe
>>
>>4319117
Thanks! I came to roughly the same conclusion, tested in devving those first pictures with a burn in to try and hold it on. Pic rel is one thats had it washed off, and one that I treated to 1min of UV, and then the bottom strip another minute to test contrast etc

>>4319135
Yeah, it's pretty fun but I feel like im grasping at fog sometimes haha. Just wish it wasn't 90mins or more per exposure, that's the real killer with the process
>>
>>4319396
Should add these will obvs get darker as they dry, so Ill have a look tomorrow morning to see if pic has any usable parts, or if pic B isn't crushed contrast wise
>>
File: IMG_5186.jpg (1.52 MB, 4829x3219)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>4319300
Is this old Agfa stick or colorplus 200? This has a very unique early 90s look to it color and fade wise.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Fix 1.7.3
Image Width4829
Image Height3219
>>
>>4319397
During the washing you can add a bit of hydrogen peroxide to get the color faster
>>
File: IMG_20170802_0041.jpg (2.08 MB, 3416x2288)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>4319457
Can't remember, but it's probably portra, and shot with a G1. Pic is from same roll. Lightroom auto button corrected the color a tiny bit.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2019:01:04 12:09:53
>>
File: IMG_20170802_0024.jpg (1.22 MB, 3424x2264)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2019:01:04 12:09:30
>>
>>4319288
i think it's front focused on the rocks by a bit, and for sharp fur in wind you have to use a really fast shutter speed.
>>
File: spanishuke-2.jpg (3.65 MB, 1604x2420)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG

>>
care to explain why an m2/m3 body in decent condition is still at least €2k and why do i still feel the urge to buy one?
>>
>>4319574
>care to explain why an m2/m3 body in decent condition is still at least €2k
Homosexuals
>and why do i still feel the urge to buy one?
Homosexual
>>
File: 20240531_155835.jpg (1.69 MB, 1800x2140)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
So incredibly close.

This picture looks simple, but it has been absurdly difficult to get everything just right to pull it off. I think it's over 2:1 enlargement of the subject.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G998U1
Camera SoftwareG998U1UESAFXD1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Compression SchemeJPEG Compression (Thumbnail)
Image Height1800
Image Created2024:05:31 15:58:36
Image Width4000
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Unique Image IDXA8XLNF00SM
Image Height1800
Brightness8.4 EV
White BalanceAuto
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure Time17/10000 sec
FlashNo Flash
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating16
Image Width4000
Focal Length6.70 mm
Light SourceUnknown
>>
>>4319583
correct answer
>>
>>4319678
>phone photo making it even harder to tell if this is a picture of something or a horrid darkroom mistake
Do you not own a real camera

Phones are a regression from $25 amazon PNS shitters. The sharpening and HDR intended to make them as soulless and non artistic as possible (peak corporate america) loops around to make it impossible to tell whats in a photo other than a selfie or a text document scan.
>>
>>4319687
SORRY!

I have a 5dm3, but my computer is broken. Does canon have an EF mount camera with bluetooth file transfer?
>>
>>4319689
Buy a card reader for your shite phone
>>
>>4319693
Oh yeah... I have one of those things...
>>
File: 5E7A6100.jpg (3.83 MB, 2622x3382)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB JPG
>>4319693
Ha ha! Still looks better in person, but this is like 80% there.

Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Equipment MakeCanon
Image Width3686
Image Height4428
Image Created2024:07:01 17:25:07
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
ISO Speed Rating100
Focal Length150.00 mm
Metering ModeSpot
Exposure Time31/5000 sec
FlashNo Flash
Light SourceUnknown
F-Numberf/5.6
>>
File: 5E7A6105.jpg (4.76 MB, 3904x3072)
4.76 MB
4.76 MB JPG
I really like how this one came out. The detail is even finer in person. Also when they dry out they lose contrast and then when you varnish them they get it back permanently.

Tommorow I will show the 3 I made to frame.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Width5091
Image Height3840
Image Created2024:07:01 17:59:08
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias-1/3 EV
ISO Speed Rating100
Focal Length150.00 mm
Metering ModeSpot
Exposure Time1/2 sec
FlashNo Flash
Light SourceUnknown
F-Numberf/8.0
>>
File: 000095610015.jpg (1.01 MB, 1545x1024)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Hey anons. This is my first ever roll of film. This was the only decent pic of the bunch. Having a lot of fun. I like being more deliberate about my shots as opposed to digital.

>>
>>4319761
You've taken your first step into a larger world. what film is this
>>
>>4319761
I started shooting film a few months ago and I feel the same way. It's hard to go back to digital without feeling like it's cheapening the experience. What was your first roll? did you develop it yourself?
>>
File: D32002.jpg (957 KB, 1998x1349)
957 KB
957 KB JPG
I want a camera which is as compact as possible so that I can fit it in my pocket but still has all the manual functions incl manual focus. What are my options?

I have a compact p&s but not being able to focus is incredibly gay

Equipment MakePlustek
Camera ModelOpticFilm 8100
>>
>>4319800
rollei 35
>>
>>4319678
very good even imperfection-free coating, it's nice to see someone treat collodion seriously. What's your setup(photo equipment, portable sensitising/dev equipment etc) and what sort of stuff do you do with this?
>>
>>4319800
>>4319805
Manual focus how? Rangefinder, zone focus, reflex? I mean the answer is still the Rollei 35 but I wonder what anon is actually looking for. I have an Olympus xa, aperture priority no full manual but honestly full manual for a snapshit pocket cam is just larpy demanding. There’s also the minox35 but that’s only scale focusing and again aperture priority.
>>
>>4319800
Olympus 35RC
>>
>>4319800
Super solinette
>>
File: IMG_20240601_185701880~2.jpg (2.81 MB, 3072x4080)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
hell yeah
>>
File: 20240601_114437.jpg (1.37 MB, 1610x2733)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>4319820
Thank you. That image was taken with a single strobe and a sinar p2(god tier 4x5 camera). The setup(pic) I use is distilled autism, but it is what must be done to take a photo like this.

I just use one of those classic wooden boxes to hold the silver nitrate. For development I use a shot glass to pour my developer, and a squeeze bottle with water over a big tray for stopping dev. I have to sun my silver soon, ugh.

I'd like to eventually get a car setup so I can travel and do wetplates. I think I may wait until I practice 8x10. The 4x5 plates are super nice, but they feel small. Portraits are super fun and challenging also.

The instant feedback has been an invaluable tool for improving my view camera skills as well. The insane challenge these macro shots pose is also super good practice for me.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G998U1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)13 mm
Image Height1800
Image Created2024:06:01 11:44:37
Image Width4000
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Image Height1800
White BalanceAuto
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure Time26/625 sec
FlashNo Flash
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating640
Image Width4000
Focal Length2.20 mm
Light SourceUnknown
>>
>>4319865
SUPER BASED.
>>
File: r001-024.jpg (2.54 MB, 5419x3612)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG

Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 9.2.2 (Android)
Image Width6007
Image Height4035
Image Created2024:05:04 12:00:00
>>
File: nowautism.jpg (60 KB, 750x696)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>4319912
holy shit
>>
Lads, close to jumping into bulk rolling but I’m not sure what speed film to get for it. Basically it looks like my cheapest options are 100 or 400. I was thinking I’ll get one and then push/pull for flexibility if needed. What will black and white film handle better? Buy the 100 and expose faster if needdd, or buy the 400 and expose slower? No, I’m not buying two rolls before one of you clever boys responds with that.
>>
>>4319988
Get XX and shoot it at whatever you speed you want between 25 and 1600. It just werks.
>>
>>4319988
Buy a single roll of whatever the fuck you wanna bulk roll first, clever boy
You're dividing B&W film into these 2 big groups based on >ISO
At least do the bare minimum and research a bit to see WHICH film stock suits you better, and *then* see how it behaves when pushed/pulled and how you like it
Shooting double x, as >>4319990 said, is wildly different to shooting Delta 100, for example, which will also be different to shooting some Foma 100
All three are B&W and iso 100 and yet vary greatly in many aspects
So think about that before buying 100 feet of a film stock you didn't even look up on google before for fuck sake
Just google "[film stock] pushed to [iso]" and check the lomography link to have an idea
>TL;DR
Buy Kentmere 100
It's cheap, it's good, it looks even better when pushed to 400
Good contrast, great image quality, fine grains, let's you edit the shit out of it however you like
And you can push it to 800 without much difference, too
Maybe 1600 but I haven't tried it yet
>>
>>4320000
>You're dividing B&W film into these 2 big groups based on >ISO
Ackshiallynim dividing purely based on price and it just so happens the cheapest two bulk rolls I can find that I don’t need to order from America are the same price but 100/400, hence my question. Could give fuck all about muh character or whatever metaphysical bullshit you’re prattling on about.
>>
>>4320006
>Could give fuck all about muh character or whatever metaphysical bullshit you’re prattling on about.
There are *objectively* different qualities when comparing different film stocks and how they behave when pulled/pushed
I not only gave you the way to finding out which film stock would suit your preferences better, but also gave you the easiest path telling you to buy a specific film stock that is cheap, good quality and pushes well so that your lazy ass could buy something decent and not regret it later
But you're too much of an ungrateful piece of shit to even accept help all the while you're incompetent to the point of not being able to google and look up for yourself what your preference is
Arrogance and incompetence sure is a great combo
>>
>>4320029
I don’t care about minute differences in grain structure or wheat ever else you think is actually significant (it’s not. The images get captured regardless kek), I just care about whichever roll is the cheapest. Your long winded answer did it address anything that I was actually wanting to know with my question, hence my lack of appreciation for it. TLDR; shit response for shit answer.
>>
>>4320036
>I just care about whichever roll is the cheapest.
Just buy the cheapest shit you find then, retard
It's pretty obvious
>>
>>4320038
Well obviously, but there’s a roll of 40@ and a roll of 100 at the same cheapest price, hence my simple question. Which should have a simple answer but I guess it’s my fault for expecting 4chan mongoloids not to autistically spaz out in some tangent unrelated to my question, that’s on me, sorry lads.
>>
>>4320040
>doesn't accept complete, in-depth answer
>doesn't accept direct answer (Kentmere 100)
>doesn't accept the answer you want to be given ("buy the cheapest one")
>doesn't want to do basic research looking up the possible buying options and how they look when pushed
It's your fault being an ungrateful bitch
Buy the 100 iso of whatever the fuck you have and stop spamming the thread
>>
>>4320040
ngmi
>>
>>4319952
I'm having an absolute blast using that camera. Spent 3 hours to make 3 images today. Almost got it perfect.

I've realized that I need to make my own ultra fine ground glass to properly focus my macro subjects with. Even with a 10x loupe I can only just distinguish true sharp focus... Fun!
>>
>>4320048
It can be in depth and complete but it’s not an answer if you don’t actually answer the question I asked initially you doofus lol. And you can larp as a janny all you like but I’ll post as much and wherever I want thanks.
>he does it for free
Lol
>>
>>4320052
The answer you got was to do your research because there's no objective answer to your question and you need to find out by yourself
But then again you're an arrogant retard and won't do it
>>
File: 5E7A6106.jpg (4.15 MB, 4300x3072)
4.15 MB
4.15 MB JPG
Aaaand here is my latest wetplate.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Width5376
Image Height3840
Image Created2024:07:02 19:12:39
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias-1/3 EV
ISO Speed Rating100
Focal Length150.00 mm
Metering ModeSpot
Exposure Time3.2 sec
FlashNo Flash
Light SourceUnknown
F-Numberf/8.0
>>
Those 35mm point n shoot auto-focusing overly expensive cameras are all hype, right?
>>
>>4320072
The T3 is fire, but definitely overpriced.
>>
File: gayshica.jpg (32 KB, 500x375)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>4320072
Thinking about cameras such as the Contax and the Olympus mju series for instance. The latter i see almost as many "for parts" as functional ones for sale. Is pic related for instance that much worse?

>>
>>4320069
its certainly wet
>>4320072
Like what, the Contax ones? The Contax T is solid can't talk about the rest
>>
>>4320076
They look better wet/varnished than when they are completely dried. Deeper black and some of the highlight detail shows better.
>>
>>4319800
contax T or Minox but they are Aperture priority. focus is manual though
>>
>>4320072
yes its just fashion meme. they get mogged by some $20 late 90s SLR with a nifty fifty and the 80s AF crap no one wants give the same sharp prime photos just in a "ugly" design the hipsters dont want
>>
>>4320081
Not the contax T3.
>>
>>4320072
Some of them are nice cameras enough in their own right, but the whole segment has had meme price explosions the last decade. An Olympus mju used to be found in charity shops for 10 quid and now goes for over a hundred, that sort of thing. There are no “good buys” in terms of value, so just approach it as a luxury good, if there’s one you really want, you’re essentially burning money.
>>
>>4320083
It’s a known unreliable camera I’d never drop the kind of money they’re going for now.
>>
>>4320072
Benefit
>auto exposure
>autofocus

Downfall:
>spend 1k usd on a plastic piece of shit so when it breaks you're fucked
>>
>>4320052
fomapan!!
>>
>>4319762
>>4319764
This was on Kodak 400TX. I was trying to do landscape photography with it. Hence, why all the other pictures were not so good.
I had it developed at my local camera shop. They were really nice and I was happy to give them my business and I just want to focus on shooting for a bit before I get into developing myself.
I really do feel like it's a different experience. Digital is a more instant gratification. With film, I know that I have about 36 shots on a roll and I have to make them count, and I think that will make me a better photographer in the long run.
>>
>>4320113
Well nice, I'm glad it's been a good experience. B&W home development is pretty easy. The most challenging part is learning to thread your film onto the reel for developing and it's not super expensive. I've had good results with the cinestill kit. I send all my color film out to a local place to develop since it's more involved and expensive to get up and running. I'm glad you're enjoying it though.

>I know that I have about 36 shots on a roll and I have to make them count, and I think that will make me a better photographer in the long run.
Personally my keeper rate has almost doubled. Between the manual focus, the film advance lever, and the limited number of shots I take a lot more time to really think about if a shot is worth taking or if it just 'looks nice'. I personally feel like it's taken my photos from 'pleasant snapshits' to something more.
>>
>>4320096
It is not an unreliable camera. You have one fail on you?
>>
>>4319912
>that bellows extension
lmfao, how the hell did you dial in the exposure? just trial and error? what f-stop is >>4319713 taken up to get this DOF this close up? You're really pushing the envelope as far as it can budge with this setup/medium choice. Do you buy everything (collodion/tintype plates etc) or make stuff yourself? What about glass plate negs, for contact printing with all the variety of methods and options that entails?

Really cool stuff, please keep us updated on your exploits. Do you have some online presence where you share this stuff?
>>
File: 1569497999659.png (643 KB, 1022x731)
643 KB
643 KB PNG
Brief heart attack as friend borrowing my P30 pushed down on the shutter apparatus removing his film for the first time

Managed to get them realigned and all working okay now
>>
>>4320083
cope. a slr with a modern 35 destroys it. ur kidding urself if u think ancient small lens designs on a fashion accessory camera compete what slrs and pro level gear. its a toy
>>
>>4320095
the fact kyocera rebranded luxury market consumer stuff is talked about in the same sentence as mommy cameras like the oly mju says enough about how memes have elevated certain models of p&s far beyond their performance
>>
File: IMG_2071.jpg (909 KB, 1284x1675)
909 KB
909 KB JPG
>>4320162
>>4320095
Someone just posted this to marketplace this morning, what timing lol. It’s insane. I’ve owned the mju in the past, yeah it was a nice little camera sure but nowhere near these prices they sell for now. I bought three of them off the junk wall in a thrift store for like 15 bucks, old film cameras like this used to just go in baggies and be considered almost junk. Crazy.

Image Width1284
Image Height1675
>>
>>4320193
I actually like the mju and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to people for $100 or so. It's the fake Contax Kyocera shit that is really sad. Go see the samples from these cameras and laugh as they are no better than any other 35mm point and shoot.
>>
File: KodakProImage100-1.jpg (3.31 MB, 2048x1359)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
who /sp/ here?

Camera ModelQSS-32_33
Image Created2024:05:29 16:59:10
>>
>>4320125
>how the hell did you dial in the exposure?
You can use a tape measure to compute an exposure with bellows drawn that far- divide the extension by the focal distance at infinity, square the result, then take the base-2 logarithm of that result to get the number of stops you need to correct. If you're using tilts and swings, you can use the ratio in sizes of some object in the scene and on the ground glass.
>>
>Best place for e6 development and scanning?

Blue Moon camera seems to have issues with their ordering page.
>>
>>4320232
sports are so boomer coded, my guy
>>
>>4320225
I would hesitate, as nice as it is as a camera, it just isn’t a 100 dollar piece of kit. It’s just not, and we need to stop encouraging this stupid tiktoker YouTuber hyperinflation of everything. These should be 10 dollars in a thrift store camera bucket at most, like they were a decade ago.
>>
File: 20240601_161834.jpg (1.36 MB, 1753x3239)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>4320125
What >>4320247 said. For this set up exposure is measured in # of flash bursts. Depending on the scene it is 4-10 1000ws bursts, lol. I don't even use a shutter for these.

Around +4 stops worth of bellows extension at f32 is sort of where I'm limited until I get a more powerful strobe, or better suited strobe. I don't mind doing 10 bursts, but I'm not doing 20 lol.

I think that pic was f32. I like to work around f22-f45 because my lens is sharpest at f22. I make sure to use tilt/swing to the best of my ability to keep the aperture as low as possible. It makes things much more fun and challenging. Pic is my setup for this image >>4320069 this one took 9 flashes at f45 to expose correctly.

No online presence, I may eventually try to sell framed wetplates or something, but I'm still in the learning phase.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G998U1
Image Height1800
Image Created2024:06:01 16:18:34
Image Width4000
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Image Height1800
Brightness0.3 EV
White BalanceAuto
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure Time1/40 sec
FlashNo Flash
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating320
Image Width4000
Focal Length6.70 mm
Light SourceUnknown
>>
>>4320278
It's a plastic camera but it's lens is sharp, its compact and it takes a nice auto exposure. Sadly the market is fucked for film p&s and finding a mju for $100 is already difficult.
>>
>>4320254
fellow /p/ortland bro?
>>
File: KodakProImage100-21 (1).jpg (3.43 MB, 2048x1549)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
>>4320266
who /ck/ here?

Camera ModelQSS-32_33
Image Created2024:05:29 16:59:20
>>
>>4320308
pretty nice, what lens(es) do you bring to games?
>>
File: KodakProImage100-25.jpg (3.02 MB, 2048x1359)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>4320323
Pentax IQZoom 130M p&s

Camera ModelQSS-32_33
Image Created2024:05:29 16:59:22
>>
>>4320283
Nah East Coast. I just heard they were really good.
>>
>>4320368
That's kind of crazy, I didn't know that they were such a big deal. They were just recommended to me by someone I knew and I thought it was just a local thing.
>>
File: 20240602_133501.jpg (1.07 MB, 2476x1800)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
GUYS! I think found out the secret.

You just use a plain piece of glass instead of a real GG and a 10x loupe when you're doing macro work! You can't see the image without the magnification, but once you put your loupe on the glass it's absolutely crystal clear.

The normal GG couldn't resolve the super fine details required to get proper focus at this level of magnification. This problem was a major roadblock for me. I was basically taking my best guess to decide on critical focus.

I put my fresnel in front of the clear glass, and it produced the most amazingly clear and bright projection I've ever seen! Very cool.

Now I just need to source/order a super high flatness piece of glass, and I will be set.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G998U1
Image Height1800
Image Created2024:06:02 13:35:01
Image Width4000
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Image Height1800
White BalanceAuto
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure Time1/40 sec
FlashNo Flash
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating640
Image Width4000
Focal Length6.70 mm
Light SourceUnknown
>>
>>4320344
this is a really nice shot. i love the contrast of foreground and shadows
>>
>>4320370
Interestingly I think blue moon is the only remaining “official” Minox and 16mm stills film retailer (not counting eBay boomers who also do it). Cool place.
>>
File: _1a_0029.jpg (1.26 MB, 2996x2000)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>4320344
I’m surprised you had enough light to use pro image 100 in a zoom point and shoot cam, usually they don’t like to take photos under 200 iso.

Anyways this is Portra 160 with a 100mm f2.8 Nikkor at the Tower of London

Equipment MakeAgfaPhoto GmbH
Camera Modeld-lab.2/3
Camera SoftwareRB98k or later from AgfaPhoto GmbH d-lab.2/3
PhotographerOnly the Best :-))
Image OrientationLeft-Hand, Bottom
Horizontal Resolution400 dpi
Vertical Resolution400 dpi
Image Created2024:06:01 13:41:32
Image Width2996
Image Height2000
>>
>>4320392
Just tested my clear glass "gg" and IT WORKED. Perfect focus on my first try. Euphoric.
>>
File: KodakProImage100-23.jpg (2.41 MB, 2048x1359)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>4320419
not every shot came out as I'd have hoped (pic rel), it was a partly cloudy day but I got a few keepers

>>4320405
Cheers! this was one of my favorites from the day. I like the contrast and the crowd reactions I think it was an Ohtani home run

Camera ModelQSS-32_33
Image Created2024:05:29 16:59:21
>>
>>4318704
hey nophoto that's a shit for brains take fucking pleb
>>
>>4318980
>>4318732
are yall the same guy? love the photos you take. This is kentmere, right?
>>
File: Untitled (183).png (3.52 MB, 2000x1337)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB PNG
>>
File: Untitled (181)2.png (3.84 MB, 1271x1722)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB PNG
>>
>>4320470
>>4320471
Post more
>>
File: 7Q0A6966.jpg (4.29 MB, 3577x5365)
4.29 MB
4.29 MB JPG
>>4318819
Got around to 3d printing a proper film holder to continue the “scanning” fun and what a difference it makes. It’s a simple pull-through holder but that alone makes is such a easy process, did a test strip of 6 shots in like 15 seconds, could be even faster if I tape the thing down to not fiddle with it. Neato. Was even thinking of dropping coin on the expensive valió/film supply ones, but this one works darn well enough for my liking. 3d printers are pretty handy bros

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS R
Image Created2024:06:02 22:57:33
Exposure Time1/6 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: Ilford Delta 3200 -5.jpg (740 KB, 1211x1500)
740 KB
740 KB JPG
>>4320232
I am, but colour is so expensive here and summer sports are just uhhh cricket? that's about it. Also lack the cool fun stadium stuff. Also also there's a heap of stuff that's only on at night, with kinda shitty lights. pic rel is 12800 ISO and 1/60 f3.5

>>
>>4320555
>>4320457
sidenote as a baseball fan living in NZ, the idea of going to a game at one point in my life is like #3 on my bucket list
>>
>>4320555
>12800 ISO
really incredible result bro. Calculator says it was EV3.
Did you use AF camera?
>>
>>4320600
Pentax 6x7, I wish it was AF haha
>>
>>4320600
>Did you use AF camera?
oh, nevermind. I just realized it is not tele-lens
>>
>>4320602
wow. I wish I had your eyes lol
>>
>>4320604
Only got the one good one if that makes you feel better aha, right eye cant focus on anything at all
>>
>>4320555
I enjoy this one a lot. Great work.
>>
>>4320606
I feel your pain. ASStigmatism is a bitch, can't focus properly even with Mamiya 645
>>
>>4320616
yeah, I got that combo'd with keratoconus which I got treatment for to stop it worsening, but forever cursed with that different horizontal and vertical focal plane shit. Only really hate it cause it makes using rangefinders and viewfinders in general ass, wish it was my left eye haha
>>
>>4320555
I normally shoot b&w myself so I can dev at home. I just went through a roll of Ilford Delta 3200 shot at 6400 iso at a Speedway event last night that I hope came out ok.

>>4320557
how does a kiwi get into baseball? what's your team? I talked with a kiwi family on holiday last October at a LA Rams game it was during the rugby wc I think NZ had just beaten France that morning and they were stoked
>>
>>432069
Pic from the game

Image Created2024:03:31 21:20:37
>>
>>4320619
I used to be an A's fan but currently homeless, since before the move stuff, lost all faith after they traded out Davis and Chapman etc for coward choices. And i'm just a sports fan in general, Baseball is one of many but one I want to see a game of more than others

And your delta should be fine! It pushes really well, you just get fatter grain
>>
File: Ilford Pan F Plus-3.jpg (539 KB, 1500x1177)
539 KB
539 KB JPG
Oh I guess I should post some more pics.
Some Ilford Pan F of some teams in the hockey club I play for

1/3

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark IV
Image Created2024:06:03 01:13:40
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: Ilford Pan F Plus-5.jpg (493 KB, 1177x1500)
493 KB
493 KB JPG
>>4320623
2/3
Used a more basic inversion method when scanning this one, not as big a fan of it

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2024:06:03 01:13:42
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: Ilford Pan F Plus-8.jpg (500 KB, 1500x1192)
500 KB
500 KB JPG
>>4320624
3/3
All on 6x7

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2024:06:03 01:13:44
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4320552
looks nice, what camera are you using for scanning? looks like 24MP
I thought about making a scanning rig and was wondering if 24MP is enough for my pixel peeping needs, thought about getting a Lumix G9 and using pixel shift mode, but it seems that 24MP looks just fine
>>
>>4318694
You guys ever have any extremely retarded/unpleasant experiences while out shooting?

>be me, probably 6 or so months back
>recently got a Nikon F2 on the cheap (meter non functioning) and a K1000 from an antique store because sticky mirror
>fixed k1000 with lighter fluid and popped some machine oil in it after
>go out to take test shots w both
>using k1000 primarily
>random guy runs up asking "Hey is that a K1000!?"
>"Yeah, just testing it out"
>for once I'll be talkative, I dont really know any other filmfags near me
>maybe he'll be cool
>guy proceeds to follow me for 2 city blocks spewing factoids about Pentax and complaining that Amtrak and, by extension the local train station aren't very "railfan friendly"
>dont have the heart to tell this guy to fuck off for some reason, normally I would
>he keeps blabbing about Pentax as a company and little details about K1000s
>he asks what all Im carrying so I show him my F2
>"Yeah Ive never really trusted Nikons like I have Pentax"
>literally next frame in the Pentax and it jams
>he then asks where I get my film done
>I tell him about Local Lab A and he scoffs
>"PSSHYEAH, I ONLY GET MY SCANS FROM LOCAL LAB B."
>look at his insta later
>snapshits from cosplay cons
>guy leaves a few mins after
>tfw subconscious held out because it knew some divine comedy was about to go down
>>
File: portra 800346.jpg (1.59 MB, 1658x1061)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>4320714
ah so it was you... DELETE THIS.

Nah for real, lmao that is why I almost never approach people when I see them with a film camera I don't want to be a nuisance.

But I had a lot of people asking for my camera and such, even more when I am out with a folder camera.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 (Windows)
Image Created2023:11:22 18:38:58
>>
File: IMG_20240603_105321409.jpg (551 KB, 2312x1736)
551 KB
551 KB JPG
Ok, what now?
>>
>>4320702
Og EOS R rated at 30mp. I didn’t bother going full 1:1 coverage this time cause my tripod is janky to move the centre column while something is on it, so maybe closer to 0.8, cropped a bit of white space and such. 24mp should honestly be plenty. If you’re really autistic about it with a decent enough macro you could stitch even larger.
>>
>>4320730
Never heard of the stuff, the ol boomers on photo.net/photrio etc also don’t seem to know what to make of it over the years from my quick search. Where’d you get it?
>>
>>4320278
It pisses me off too, but I'm kind of on the fence. I'm slightly leaning towards let the tiktube posers have them, if they have money to burn on an overpriced shitty camera, then they probably have money to burn on film, and more demand for film is good for everyone. Same reason I grudgingly tolerate lomofaggots, even though their "aesthetics" and "ethos" make me wish that they would all do the flip immediately.
In any case they will either get bored and dump the cameras for cheap again once it's no longer cool and does not get them views, or they will stick to it and keep using them, which in and of itself isn't a bad thing. Meanwhile we can keep using our real cameras.
>>
>>4320730
now you have a soviet archival clear PET base film with no antihalation layer and fomapan100-esque grain. it's thinner and flimsier than normal acetate base and some dev reels will offer too much friction and cause it to jam after you're pushed in the ~24th frame. enjoy your blooming highlights and meh handling ergonomics. perfect for b/w slide reversal dev because of the clear base.
>>
>>4320730
Looks like a fun film. You havr a shitload of it, so get testing, and post some results!

https://filmphotographyproject.com/get-your-glow-polypan-f-bw-film/

You have a bulk loader, right?
>>
File: weeee.jpg (1.93 MB, 3600x3600)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>4320729
I almost never get people asking which I prefer. Not opposed to people asking about stuff but most 'interactions' are random people asking why Im taking pictures of or near their property. Not really upsetting, more often funny.

>out taking snapshits
>see a nice window shot
>frame it up, take shot
>"EY BUDDY."
>explain to him what Im doing
>"AH JEEZ I THOUGHT YOU WAS WITH THE INSURANCE COMPANIES OR SUMTHIN. WAS MAKIN SURE I WASNT IN TROUBLE"

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D850
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.9
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)60 mm
Image Created2024:02:14 16:51:51
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length60.00 mm
>>
File: 2011_0017_019.tif.jpg (544 KB, 1500x1000)
544 KB
544 KB JPG
>>4320735
The mystery of its origin is the strangest thing, I first shot it in 2010 and nobody knew for sure what it was and where it came from then, and nobody knows now.
Anyway I loved it back then and had a search alert set for it for the last few years and finally got a hit recently.
I was saving one last roll from the batch I bought in 2010 like a holy grail, now I can finally go shoot it without regret lmao.
>>4320742
Not scammed kurwabro, see above, I got it because I knew it and wanted more of it for a long time. And I never had any issues loading it into my Paterson reels.
The photo you posted looks amazing, not sure if you were trying to prove some point with it, but I love it and it's exactly what I want out of it.
Also trust me, it's nothing like Foma, and I've shot a lot of it.
The reversal potential is great, R100 feels pretty cumbersome sometimes and my dev kit is almost finished.
>>4320743
Yeah I'm glad I can go wild experimenting with it now without savoring every last roll of it. Here's a random shot from 2011 with it.
I have a bulk loader but only for 30m/100ft rolls, not 90/300, so I'll just need to take care to not fuck it up while unrolling by hand in my bathroom.
>>
Anyone ever use a cooke portrait lens?

My wetplate portraits come out unpleasantly sharp and contrasty when I use my more modern lenses. It's kind of a cool look, but also not really. I found a cheap imagon that's in the mail, but the temptation is there to try out a legendary brass barrel lens.

>>4320749
Good luck! It looks like a fun film to mess around with.
>>
File: MK19343-L.jpg (262 KB, 1800x902)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>4320783
This sounds a lot like what Nikon DC lenses do, but I don't suppose you can adapt them to your camera.
>>
File: cookePS945_examples.jpg (329 KB, 1600x1300)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>>4320792
It's a soft focus lens. This may be a better example of the effect. The effect can produce very pleasant portraits.

I'm unsure as to whether or not there is a seperate sharp to soft dial on the old cooke portrait lenses, or if it just softens up with the aperture.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image Width1600
Image Height1300
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2006:03:15 12:05:31
Image Width1600
Image Height1300
>>
>>4320792
>>4320804
>>4320783
just put vaseline in your lens like the old days
>>
sent to repair mom's old vito cl

this is also busted. I'm looking at this one (https://aliexpress.com/item/32642526415.html?)
do u bros think it would work
>>
File: 86_Imagon_10.jpg (289 KB, 1470x1482)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>4320805
No. I want a big shiny brass lens for my collection. I think the imagon I got will be all that I need tho. A good cooke lense is over 10x the price, so I'm not too sad.

Camera ModelDeskjet 2510
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width2480
Image Height3508
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2022:01:30 18:27:55
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1470
Image Height1482
>>
>>4320805
>putting a petroleum product on optics
And people wonder why there are so many old lenses with issues such as flaking coatings.
>>
>>4320838
>>4320845
sneed
>>
File: 7Q0A7037.jpg (4.52 MB, 6456x4304)
4.52 MB
4.52 MB JPG
>>4320552
Some more captures, I have to remind myself that I won’t have razor sharpness like on a digital file, I keep looking at shots where it seems like I nailed it, and there’s ever so slightly a hint of softness. Old lenses, old cameras, it’s gonna be that way sometimes. Fun stuff.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS R
Image Created2024:06:03 21:01:27
Exposure Time1/8 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4320866
One trick is to look at the image in "real scale" so size it up to 8x10 or 11x14 on your monitor and see how it looks like that.
>>
>>4320867
Things do look pretty decent like that, pixel peeping is a hard habit to break lol
>>
>>4320804
On the image in >>4320783 I see what looks like a normal aperture scale near the mount (3.5, 4, etc.), and then a separate "Sharp - Soft Focus" scale from 1 to 5 next to the double finger grip.
Which again sounds almost exactly like Nikon DC (Defocus Control) lenses. Except that they allow your to selectively defocus either foreground or background.
>>
>>4320874
You know... I've been looking into this DC lens, and I'm unsure if it is actually the same thing or not. Apparently on the Japanese version of the lens it says "bokeh control" and not defocus control... the translation was done incorrectly or they used the next best thing in english, not sure if that means anything.
That image I posted is from a modern revision of the old lens that is a little different than the one in the ad I posted, but a good example of what a soft focus lens does. Maybe someone who is knowledgeable about both could clarify.

That DC lens looks pretty sweet from some of the example portraits I saw also!
>>
>>4320749
>I have a bulk loader but only for 30m/100ft rolls, not 90/300, so I'll just need to take care to not fuck it up while unrolling by hand in my bathroom.

or you could unroll 1/3rd of it and put that in your bulk loader

I hope we'll get to see some polypan f photos around here sometime soon, anon
>>
File: dimage.jpg (109 KB, 1600x1063)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
bought a plustek 135i a few months ago failing to realize theres tons of used scanners for 1/5 the price. checking ebay theres tons of scanners for about $100. i remember you guys always shill for dimage scanners. i cant find many reliable example scans from dimage scanners to compare with my own 135i scans. should i sell this scanner and get a used one? are dimage scanners really better?
>>
>>4321108
I've been thinking about a scanner for more consistent results and a less finicky workflow vs my digital camera setup. Report back what you find out. Also upload some scans for us to see
>>
File: bw scan.jpg (2.15 MB, 2527x1680)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>4321127
heres a scan with the 135i. enlarged sections with varied detail and shadow so you can get an idea of the finer pixel peeping qualities of it (though it is a downscaled jpeg so i imagine itll be worse than the original scan by a small amount)
TRIX 400 shot at 1600 in D-76 scanned at 3600dpi
>>
I have a stupid question. I've been shooting digital my whole life, but I'm thinking about getting into analogue stuff. I have an opportunity to buy a Zenit TTL with the famous Helios 44m, everything's working and in good condition. The price is $50.
Would it be a good idea to buy this little camera as a beginner? I've heard good opinions about the lens, but it also might be a sort of meme. In the worst case, I can use it for my digital mirrorless.
>>
>>4321136
you didnt have to go all csi on it, but I appreciate that you did. I think that scan looks good, are you unhappy with it?
>>
>>4321138
If it's working and looks like it will be fun just get it. 50 bucks ain't no thang for a camera that could provide many hours of enjoyment.
>>
File: colour scan.jpg (768 KB, 2518x1688)
768 KB
768 KB JPG
>>4321139
heres a colour scan. i find the 135i fares much worse on colour scans. notice the really heavy chroma noise, particularly in the shadows. this is what really bothers me with this scanner. it makes everything softer and more muddy than it really needs to be. could just be badly calibrated focus too, but there's no way to change that.
the bw scan is decently good, i'm happy with it. although the little horizontal lines across the light are weird. i've seen a couple people mention that online. i find the scanner is good if you have a "standard" shot, which is to say a daytime shot with lots of different objects and high dynamic range. it falls off pretty heavy in shadow detail. this is pixel peeping though and it looks good enough for general use.
>>
>>4321146
forgot to say but that pic is ultramax iirc shot at 200 iso.
if anyone wants the scanner i'd be willing to sell it on here. i have everything, box, cases, plastic, manual, warranty, etc.
>>
>>4321108
I bought an old scanner like that off ebay. Piece of shit was constantly jamming up, quitting halfway through, not showing up without powering it on and off, etc. Even the few times it did manage to scan a full image it had stripes all across it from dust or bad pixels I'm not sure. Colors were alright but who cares if I can't even scan a full roll without it shitting itself. Finally threw it in the trash and bought a plustek 8200i and while it's also a bit finnicky at least it works reliably. Oh and a lot of those scanners you find on ebay are missing the 35mm holder because it's made from the world's most brittle plastic.

Little known fact: flash memory has a shelf life and these devices are made out of the absolute cheapest components available. The firmware WILL corrupt itself at some point at which point it may die completely or may sort of work but behave more and more erratically over time.
>>
File: scanners.jpg (155 KB, 973x650)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>4321148
the resolving power is just too tempting though
>>
>>4321154
where did you find this nonsense image? The minolta is 3200 DPI and the plustek is 7200 DPI. I get that you're not gonna get the full resolution but it's not gonna be pixellated like that and I doubt it'll be worse than the minolta.
>>4321146
isn't that just grain? ultramax is not a fine grain film.
>>
>>4321180
sourced from
https://www.filmscanner.info/MinoltaDimageScanDual4.html
https://www.filmscanner.info/PlustekOpticFilm135.html
some is just grain but grain doesnt have that much chroma variance. gonna scan some colorplus on the weekend so ill post it if theres any appreciable difference
>>
File: portra160_38_recompressed.jpg (2.87 MB, 3416x5024)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB JPG
>>4321183
I don't read that dialect of europoor but whatever it says that's clearly not an apples to oranges comparison.
I suppose they may have cheaped out on the internals but I would expect you could get something like this level of detail. This is at 3600 DPI, with lots of jpeg compression to make it upload. Hard to tell from your image what is due to film grain, soft lens, bad scan settings/software, etc.

Equipment MakePlustek
Camera ModelOpticFilm 8200i
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.36
Horizontal Resolution854 dpi
Vertical Resolution854 dpi
Image Created2024:06:04 20:04:19
>>
>>4321183
Why does the Minolta image is of section 2 3 (as written on top) and the Plustek image is of section 4 5 (which is contained in section 2 3)?
Comparing an image with a zoomed in image is kinda retarded
What's the point of using a fucking machinemade chart precisely so that we can be a bit more objective and not need to use our monke brain to estimate shit, which is exactly what we need to do if they're using two fucking different magnification ratios?
>>
Also worth noting a little bit of sharpening can really work wonders, even if it triggers the autists

Equipment MakePlustek
Camera ModelOpticFilm 8200i
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.36
Horizontal Resolution854 dpi
Vertical Resolution854 dpi
Image Created2024:06:04 20:14:10
>>
>>4321193
I crank the sharpness to 150 for all my scans, fuck em, get grained idiot
>>
>>4321193
Top tip: If you know that you'll be showing an image to pixel peepers ALWAYS sharpen your film scans.
>>
im sorry for derailing the thread bros... was just curious about a scanner ;(
i feel like doghairanon
>>
>>4321195
Holy heccin based
>>
>>4321200
>doghairanon
rip
>>
Anyone ever try catlabs X film 80 II? I know they're bad people, but the 8x10 sheet film is cheap and looks pretty okay.

>>4321200
>>4321202
Im still here. I just post my stupid wetplates.

How many dog hairs do you think I can fit on one 8x10 negative?

My first 8x10 is picture is definitely going to be a blurry picture of my dog. Next week. Finally found a good deal on a sinar 8x10 :D
>>
>>4321205
>catlabs
Just buy Shanghai gp3 directly and don’t deal with a tranny company.
>>
>>4321213
Is that what film it is? I can buy foma 100 as well..
>>
>>4321213
They aren't the same film, duh.. I don't really want chinese film.

My choices are basically delta 100, foma 100, or the catlabs. Kodak 8x10 is too expensive right now at around 20 dollars per sheet compared to 5-10 for the others.
>>
>>4321205
>I know they're bad people
why
>>4321226
>They aren't the same film, duh.. I don't really want chinese film
yes it is the same film
>>
>>4321235
Oh shit you're right. They claim that it is only produced by them and not actually gp3. Seems like many people have their doubts about that...

Apparently most of the terrible QC issues with gp3 is not present with their sheet film...

Probably just get a 50 pack of foma 100... I'm more interested in 8x10 wetplate than conventional film.
>>
File: IMG_2076.jpg (1000 KB, 1284x2632)
1000 KB
1000 KB JPG
>>4321226
Everything I’ve seen indicates that they just rebadge gp3 and run with the “teehee it’s the same factory but not the same film!” Story. Inserts with “Shanghai” have been found in their boxes and the roll end seals for 120 have also been seen with Shanghai on them. But you give them your money if you want, look it up for yourself.
>>4321235
>why
Deranged leftist bostonites and likely trannies, picrel

Image Width1284
Image Height2632
>>
>>4321241
QC problems with GP3 in my experience are more common with the 120 version, and its because of the backing paper most of the time, 35mm is fine. But not sure about bigger format tho.
>>4321243
mmm trannies into film, I wonder if they will let me take photos of their bussies
>>
>>4321243
God damn, I was kind of rooting for them after Cineshit legal threats, but fuck their woke shit.
I tried their XFilm 100 twice and liked it, but fortunately it's just a respool so I can get it elsewhere.
>>
>>4321243
what about CatLABS 320 Pro?
>>
FINALLY got my slide film back from the aurora weekend
Gonna scan this in the morning

>>
>>4321308
and #2
Both of these were 1hr exposures, iso 100, f8

>>
>>4318694
Where can I find numbers on how many where sold of each camera?
>>
I went ahead and bought that Zenit, along with Jupiter-37a 135mm f3.5 and the kit glass. $35 in total. Super excited about it, tomorrow I'm buying some film and then, it'll be time to shoot. Super excited about the result, however I expect the first 4-5 rolls will be a disaster.

Sorry for poor picture, I just snapped it on phone and downloaded it from a messenger convo
>>
>>4321505
Of course, the retard forgot to attach a picture.
>>
>>4321505
Good deal.
>>
>>4321243
They say they won’t check so why won’t this whole thread just go and get 10% off everything? For the lulz
>>
>>4321506
>>4321505
if the lenses doesn't have fungus that is just an steal.

If the camera works properly and the TTL works thats even better
>>
>>4321510
they don't, that's the neat part. Not sure if the camera works properly, I'm a bit worried about how good it's going to keep shutter speed. Apparently old Soviet cameras weren't known for their precision in that matter, and there might be even a 30% error margin. The shutter works, which is the most important thing. Not sure about TTL, I have to replace the battery, and these LR9 are super hard to obtain.
>>
>>4321512
How does the shutter looks? I had some zenit cameras and the shutter its always the first thing to go out, so check for the tension and if they have any pinholes
>>
File: IMG_20240605_153828_809_1.jpg (2.08 MB, 2572x1478)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
Finally a weapon to surpass metal gear
>>
>>4321512
Have you tried just shoving something like an lr44 in there to see if it works? Some other cameras have a large enough spring to hold it in tension, don’t know what the setup on that one is. I’m autistic though and I’d immediately look for a way to convert it to more “standard” batteries. Killed an eos 5 doing that but it was worth the learning experience lol.
>>
File: 20240605_170114.jpg (1.38 MB, 1800x2283)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
Nearly 3 feet of bellows extension for this one. F8 and 12 1000w/s flash bursts. +6 stops of bellows compensation lol.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G998U1
Image Height1800
Image Created2024:06:05 17:01:15
Image Width4000
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Image Height1800
Brightness7.8 EV
White BalanceAuto
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure Time3/1250 sec
FlashNo Flash
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating16
Image Width4000
Focal Length6.70 mm
Light SourceUnknown
>>
File: IMG_5613.jpg (1 MB, 2699x2033)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
>Hasselblad V-system is the easiest to use system IMO

Perhaps it’s because it’s the camera I learned to shoot on, however the fact you can lock in a EV to a respective aperture and it then automatically locks in the correct exposure for all other f stops is really useful, I never realized how handy this was until I started shooting a lot with my Pentax 67. I do like the negatives on the Pentax, however the convenience of this on the hasselblad cannot be understated.

Image Width2883
Image Height2057
>>
>>4321594
Some of the old voigtlander 35mm cameras also work like that.
>>
anyone ever have issues with a Canon T70 not advancing the film even though the batteries are good? I'm pretty sure it's a take up spool issue as it sounded like it was struggling to advance and slowly got worse with each shot until it just stopped altogether and wouldn't even rewind, I had to pull the film out in a dark bag
>>
>>4320714
>be out using Maxxum 400si
>fat old boomer comes up to me
>normally like boomers
>starts telling me YEAP I USED TO HAVE THE GRANDPAPPY OF THAT THERE CAMERA
>YEAP BACK THEN WE ONLY HAD A COUPLA MEGAPIXELS TO WORK WITH HEHE
>just tell the boomer retard "ok" and continue shooting
>>
>>4318694
I just ordered 2 rolls of 800T (cineshill, unfortunately, it was just more convenient, in the future I'll probably order from reflx lab), a 3 pack of Fuji 200 (so basically Gold but cheaper), and some kentmere 400 B&W. Should be a fun time.
>>
>>4318840
If I want to start using Canon AF lenses, wouldn't a Rebel still be a decent start?
>>
>>4321702
TLDR is that the motors are very weak in their best mood and it isn't worth putting money into. Probably what happened: the motor's weak by default and there's small bits of debris in the teeth on the top and bottom connecting gears. Bottom gear's not hard to reach but the top one basically requires a full on disassembly. A major achilles of an otherwise fun little camera.

>be me 3 months ago
>same shit happened
>it's now a shelf piece
>>
File: Velvia 100 quickscan-1.jpg (1.8 MB, 1772x2257)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>4321308
Oh yeah this is the stuff

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3 Mark III
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)154 mm
Image Created2024:06:06 20:52:53
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeMacro
>>
>>4321749
I need to do a cleaner scan of this, and I might try bracketing to get some highlight detail out of it, but man i'm so happy with this. the mountains in lower right are about 120km away, so wasn't even expecting them to be in the shot
>>
File: Velvia 100 quickscan-2.jpg (3.56 MB, 1534x1954)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
>>4321749
>>4321751
And another quick scan of the second image, with some white balance tweaks. I'm not sure what I want out of this one, but I like the Dune but Sunny D vibe

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3 Mark III
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)154 mm
Image Created2024:06:06 21:12:47
Exposure Time1/10 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4321756
sidenote, sorry for wasting posts cause I forget to mention stuff. I'm 90% sure a guy flashbanged this with a head torch, but unsure if it had any impact. I've inverted this one so the glow at the top is actually the aurora underneath the viewline of the lens
>>
>>4321593
This is incredible, genuinely man. Been awesome to see your process and results for this work
>>
File: tSrJmvy.jpg (85 KB, 1124x937)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
I discovered an Ensign Selfix 820 from a flea market and ordered some Kentmere Pan 400 120 mm film for it. Any clues how much one should overexpose, and should I take 6x6 or 6x9 shots? Never even tried medium format before.
>>
>>4321749
>hold still 59 minutes
>move
props for getting out there though
>>
>>4321788
lmao, nah it was at the start, a friend was setting up next to me and I guess they knocked my tripod leg a little
sad times but i'm still stoked with the exposure and detail in it
>>
File: 1213156344554.jpg (224 KB, 1200x1600)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
Nice one Anon>>4321530
>>
I'm so excited! Got this new lens for my Mamiya RB67 Pro S and a box of Ektachrome
The 127mm lens I already had is great, but this new 65mm will suit me well for street shots
And I'm hyped for the Ektachrome
I've only ever shot slide in 35mm and once in medium format but it was (well kept) expired Provia in 6x6 (which turned out very good, but the blacks were a bit green tinted)
>>
File: IMG_20240606_125155.jpg (3.22 MB, 2136x4044)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>4321861
But I'm a fucking MORON and forgot to attach the photo

Camera ModelRedmi Note 8 Pro
Equipment MakeXiaomi
Image Width2136
Image Height4044
Image Created2024:06:05 23:27:20
F-Numberf/1.9
Exposure Time9999/200000 sec
Focal Length5.43 mm
FlashNo Flash
ISO Speed Rating1708
Image Height2136
Image Width4624
Lens Aperturef/1.9
>>
What's the point of Gold 200 when Portra 160 is only 2€ more?
>>
>>4321879
(It used to be that you could get 3 rolls of Gold for the price of 1 Portra)
>>
>>4321879
1. Because people don't usually buy 1 single roll of film and it adds up quickly
2. Because they're different filmstocks and people might prefer one over the other
Why would someone buy Portra over Gold? They're not even made with the same intent, Portra is made for (white/tanned) skin tones, Gold is made for outdoor scenes
>why would someone buy X and not Y?
'cause they're different shit, the fuck is this question
>>
>>4320040
Get the 400

>>4319990
QRD?

>>4320232
pro image looks like THAT?
>>
>>4321200
it's not derailing, it's good discussion. I want a better scanner myself. I was looking at those Primefilm/Pacific Image scanners that can automatically do a whole roll.

>>4321593
this is very cool. I love these threads.

>>4318694
I want to do a nighttime photoshoot with someone in the city. I have plenty of cameras but the only ones that really make sense for me to use are my newer ones that work well with a flash gun or have a built-in flash:
-90s olympus P&S
-Minolta X370 with 360PX flashgun
-Instax mini camera

I have 2 rolls of cinestill 800T as well as some portra 800, Superia 400, and fuji 200. Also some kentmere 400. Going for a sort of bladerunner-esque neo-noir thing. Should I just load both rolls of cinestill into my P&S and my SLR or what?
>>
File: 35a_0134.jpg (1.14 MB, 2967x2000)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>4320555
You made me think of the time I accidentally pushed gold 200 to 1600

Camera Modeld-lab.2/3
>>
>>4321728
Sure, but they’re cheap enough that you could just start with a more full featured camera from the get go. Why get the gimped mom model if it isn’t any cheaper?
>>
>>4321960
This is a modern context answer to the question but let’s not pretend that in the past gold wasnt the “cheap” get the 3pack at Walmart tier film. Your post supposes that they were made with different goals for the same audience or some weird artsy mumbo jumbo shit. Gold was made for the masses lol.
>>
>>4322047
makes sense
>>
>>4321879
Gold 200 is the same thing used to Fuji Color 200 which is $22 for 3 rolls
Portra 160 is $14 per roll, so it's $7 more, which is 6.43 of your backwater 3rd worlder currency, so your initial premise is incorrect to begin with
>>
>>4321966
>pro image looks like THAT?
Pro Image is a sleeper! get on it before they start cranking up the price

>>4321736
hmm I read that dirty spools might be the issue, one comment on a forum said they flushed them out with contact solution... don't think I'll try that unless I'm really desperate to use this camera.

I have a Canon FTb QLn that I can use my glass with.
>>
>>4322011
How do you accidentally push C41 film?

>>4322055
>Pro Image is a sleeper! get on it before they start cranking up the price
I should have tacked that on to my most recent order, but I guess I'll do it for next time.
>>
>>4322050
oh and Gold hasn't changed a bit since the 90's, dumbfuck
You said it yourself:
>This is a modern context
Yes, a modern context where Gold and Portra are the pretty much the same thing in terms of quality and consistence
You're the artsy cumguzzler who thinks Portra is some sort of special thing rather than a consumer-grade product with a high mark up price so that faggots just like you think they're any better precisely >becuz it's more expensive it must also be better
You're the one sucking Kodak's marketing team's cocks thinking Portra is any more "pro level" than any other of Kodak's consumer grade's products
>>
File: file.png (1.36 MB, 1280x720)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
I got an xt20 what do i need to start with film i got this
how
>>
>>4322144
uhh film
load and blow
nigga
>>
>>4321966
You just change the dev recipe depending on the speed you shoot. If you're only scanning your film I bet you could get away with shooting like +-1 stop and using the middle dev time.

For my test roll at 25 iso I did a 3 min dev in 1+100 rodinal haha. 4 minutes may have been better. The negs were a little thin.
>>
>>4322189
I've only ever used Rodinal and didn't like the grain it gave me, it was too much. How fast can you shoot Double-X and have it turn out reasonably fine-grained, and what developer would you use for that?
>>
>>4322144
Read the camera manual
Read /p/'s sticky and basic info
Learn the exposure triangle
Buy fresh film
Shoot
>>
>>4322190
Can't say I only really use rodinal. 800 is pretty nice when I make 8x10 prints.
>>
>>4321718
then everyone started clapping
>>
File: lebowski.jpg (12 KB, 225x225)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>4318737

just because the juxtaposition doesn't tickle your fanny, doesn't mean it doesn't tickle others'.
I think the fact he's a Leica shooter is the biggest factor for propelling his work/fame to stratospheric heights. The leica boys just heard he was good, then started circle jerking over him and his work.
>its leica
>it must be good
challenge this logic if you dare
>>
>>4322194
Maybe it was because I was using Foma 400. lol
>>
What's the deal with semi-stand vs intermittent agitation in rodinal? I see all these old guys mumbling about "edge effect" and "contrast index". I've never noticed the first, and I can't reasonably measure the second without a densitometer. I developed some test shots, with 18m Rodinal 1:100, 15 inversions to begin and 5 at the start of every minute, and 48m Rodinal 1:20, 90 seconds constant agitation initially, and 2 gentle inversions every seven minutes. On the emulsion I'm using, the only thing I noticed was a flatter contrast profile (by a bit). The supposed boons in shadow development never arose (though admittedly, may have been my choice in test shot lighting/mise en scene. I'm just trying to get a little more detail in shadows.

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 12 Pro Max
Camera SoftwarePhotoshop Express 24.18.0.8257
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)25 mm
Image Created2024:06:06 22:35:25
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/1.6
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/1.6
Brightness-0.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length5.10 mm
Image Width2124
Image Height2347
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4322235
Rodinal is a grainy, but very sharp developer. Stand dev is really nice for pushing film because you can keep the contrast somewhat in check.

Foma 400 will be less grainy if you shoot it at 200. Apparently it is a 200 speed film, but labeled as 400.
>>
>>4322241
High dilution Stand dev is also a way to shoot one roll at variable isos, but at the cost of the negatives getting more mid gray. But that’s what filters and the contrast slider are for I guess lol
>>
>>4322240
Interesting reading about mackie lines and edge effect. Idk if your image is suited for having strong edge effect because the high/low density interfaces are not already sharp in the image.

https://archive.org/details/IlfordMonochromeDarkroomPractice/page/n56

Camera SoftwareAndroid UP1A.231005.007.G998U1UESAFXD1
Image Width1440
Image Height1256
>>
>>4322192
no nigga i just wanna know hwat to do with the negatives or whatever after im done

meant as in what am i meant to do to scan em or develop em or whatever
>>
>>4322255
Pay for a lab to dev and scan them if you don't want to scan them yourself. You could also go to a public darkroom if there's one nearby and make some nice prints if you're doing b&w.
>>
>>4322255
Drop them off at the pharmacy
>>
File: IMG_20240606_231602_986.jpg (97 KB, 859x1280)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>
>>4322255
If you don't even know if you have to
>scan em or develop em or whatever
then I strongly recommend you go back to >>4322192
You have to develop it
And then you can scan it
Look up the most basic tutorial on youtube and start from there
>>
>>4322248
Useful, thank you. The image is a cellphone preview of a wet neg. I have yet to scan. I saw some guys talking online about using Vueacan to approximate a densitometer. The maths was a bit heavy for me. I'm correct in thinking that if I wanted to establish an objective "proper exposure" standard using the datasheet for my emulsion, I'd need to use a densitometer?
>>
>overnight a roll of E6 to get developed
>currently lost in the mail 6+ days
>>
>>4322392
>overnight 1 (one) roll
ngmi
>>
>>4322383
I thought it looked kinda funky. I have no clue about the densitometer testing, but it seems you would need one, and maybe a stepped gradient card.
That linked book may actually have the answer to that question...
>>
>>4322399
its from a photoshoot I had with a cuck and his wife lol. So I am very excited to get them back. even paid double for same day development and scan
>>
>>4322472
So you already have the scans?
Share the cuck's wife photos in a link lol
>>
>>4322475
I dont have anything, its still lost. I sent it to them and it got lost before they got it.
>>
>>4322509
oh, fuck
I thought the shipping problem was to get it back
>>
>>4322240
>5 at the start of every minute
>2 gentle inversions every seven minutes
Neither of those is anywhere close to stand or semi stand development, of course you're not seeing the effects. Stand is an hour or two with no agitation at all and semi-stand is agitation for the first minute and once in the middle. I recommend semi-stand to avoid surge marks and/or bromide drag. The effects are not that hard to notice if you actually do stand/semi-stand development.
>>
>>4322240
this >>4322583 nigga gets it.

you should be diluting 1:100 using a minimum of 5ml of rodinal per roll that's in the tank. at that dilution you're usually letting stand for an hour or more. your agitation scheme should be gentle inversions for the first minute then not touching or a few (2-3) agitations halfway through or every 30 mins if you're going for like a 90+ min semistand dev.

most development occurs in the first minute, that's why your agitations there play a bigger roll than how you do the rest of your development.
>>
Alright I'm getting back into photography and have a Pentax K1000, I think the rewind is a bit rough but I may have messed up how I did the socket placement because I'm dumb. Anyway I practiced some shots on my cats and hopefully they will look okay. While I know its a dumb and bad thing to do, I don't wanna mail my film out to get it developed because I don't have faith in this batch, which of the two dogshit companies wont fuck my pictures as bad Walgreens or CVS? I just wanna see how I did on exposure and if I have remembered bokeh so thats why I want something fast and don't give too much shit about the quality CVS or Walgreens returns.

>wat do?
>>
File: scan.jpg (1.9 MB, 2725x1000)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
vuescan keeps scanning frame 1 fine, then 2 and 3 together super wide (picrel), then frame 4 and 5 properly. how do i fix this?
>>
>>4322650
update it just fixed itself no idea how
>>
>>4322638
desu it's probably one and the same at this point. they'll both sub it out so pick your poison lol
>>
>>4318738
>>4318775
>railowsky
why does that make it good? nostalgia senses tingling?
>>
>>4318694
>as above so below
lol my cousion took a photo of a lake and write that as its title, and i just thought, gah, such a pretentious retard not saying you said it, just reminded me of my cousins pic.
>>
>>4319226
id have used less blue. too vibrant in my opinion. the pre edit colours make it more natural looking and older.
>>
>>4319288
the wall got the priority see>>4319546
im trying to work out why my samsung s23 phone cam is blurry all the time. my nuggets of weed images have one trichome thats not blurry but the rest is blurred. how to fix?
>>
>>4319295
be better if you can flip the sign back the correct way but leave the rest flipped.
>>
File: 30800_001.jpg (254 KB, 600x600)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
Is this just portra 800 but cheaper?
daylight balanced, "not a respooled movie film or manipulated alternative film stock"
don't know what else it'd be
>>
>>4322794
Gold 800 ripped out of disposables (my source tells me)
>>
File: IMG_3988.jpg (3.96 MB, 2432x3576)
3.96 MB
3.96 MB JPG
>>4321966
Imagine not taking the pro image pill

Also yes I was retarded for not also putting the plume in focus

Camera ModelSP-3000
Image Created2024:05:22 08:50:45
Image Width3578
Image Height2433
>>
>>4322056
You push 800 speed film to 1600 and forget to change the settings, so I had it pushed so I would get my photos.
>>
File: 31a_0059.jpg (1.57 MB, 2996x2000)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>4322290
How did you get this photo? What film stock and settings

Camera Modeld-lab.2/3
Camera SoftwareRB98k or later from AgfaPhoto GmbH d-lab.2/3
Image OrientationLeft-Hand, Bottom
Horizontal Resolution400 dpi
Vertical Resolution400 dpi
Image Created2024:06:01 13:43:39
Image Width2996
Image Height2000
>>
>>4322798
Interesting, I've never heard of gold in 800
I think I'll get a roll or two and see how it is
>>
>>4322840
>You push 800 speed film to 1600 and forget to change the settings
Okay not trying to be pedantic here but for future reference, pushing film ONLY happens in processing. You can't push 800->1600 in-camera. In the camera all you're doing is underexposing by a stop (maybe on accident). Pushing is solely a processing term.

>>4322838
This is still wonderful though, good job anon

>>4322852
IIRC it's Kodak Max 800 or something, but the reason you've never heard of it is because, for some reason, Kodak doesn't sell it on its own. But the Funsaver cameras, at least some of them, use 800 speed film, and the film is a 24 exposure roll that ends up giving you 27 shots because it's spooled into the disposable camera in darkness.
>>
File: 1000015807.jpg (1.82 MB, 1500x2000)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
supbitches

Equipment MakeGoogle
Camera ModelPixel 6a
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image Created2024:06:08 13:08:42
Exposure Time171/1000000 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
ISO Speed Rating62
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Brightness9.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.28 m
Focal Length4.38 mm
Image Width1500
Image Height2000
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4322869
Hello, ma'am.
>>
>>4322869
Post beanie
>>
>>4322869
post huge throbbing cock (yours)
>>
>>4322869
You've got a nice, fuckable femboy bod
>>
>>4322869
>posts a digishit picture of a camera instead of a scan of a photo taken by the camera he clearly has
very sad, very crappy post, 2/10 at best
>>
>>4322688
I just went with Walgreens because they're pretty close to my house. Hopefully my shit won't be too scuffed, but like I said its a bunch of snapshits anyway just to relearn the process.
>>
>>4318694

Does anyone know if EF lenses with Automatic Chip will register focus on EOS film bodies? I'm looking at a Samyang/Rokinon lens to use on a canon film body.
>>
>>4322965
My sigma macro lens works perfectly on a 1v. Idk if that helps you or not
>>
>>4322967
Is it full auto or automatic chip ie it gives focus confirmation?
>>
>>4322987
Yeah, The af point in the viewfinder will flash red to confirm focus.
>>
File: 1000015661.jpg (616 KB, 1017x2000)
616 KB
616 KB JPG
>>4322876
Hey bb

>>4322877
It's summer

>>4322887
It's small tho

>>4322896
Hellya

>>4322910
Gear > photos dumbass

Equipment MakeGoogle
Camera ModelPixel 6a
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image Created2024:05:31 20:13:27
Exposure Time12507/500000 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
ISO Speed Rating169
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Brightness1.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.09 m
Focal Length4.38 mm
Image Width1017
Image Height2000
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
WHERE'S THE BLOODY NEEEEEEWWWWWWWW
>>
>>4322998
East bay?
>>
>>4323015
Mumbai
>>
>>4322610
Why is it always one hour? I guess I've done semi-stand before, then, only with bog standard Fomapan reels. Like normal development, shouldn't the timing vary by emulsion? I'm working with sheets of x-ray film, not rolls. Hence the experimentation. Trying to determine the ideal development regime, since I've only got about 2000 shots' worth.
>>
new
>>4323036
>>4323036
>>4323036
>>
>>4320193
that one youtuber made that one video and now retarded grifters think these things are worth 200 dollars

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.