[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: might makes right.png (271 KB, 693x579)
271 KB
271 KB PNG
"Brawn over brains" edition

Previous Thread: >>16247118

This thread exists to ask questions regarding careers associated to STEM.
>Discussion on academia-based career progression
>Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
>Or anything in relation to STEM employment or development within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

Information resource:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The Chad author is seeking additional input to diversify the content into containing all STEM fields. Said author regularly views these /scg/ threads.

No anons have answered your question? Perhaps try posting it here:
>https://academia.stackexchange.com/

An archive of some of the previous editions of /scg/:
>https://warosu.org/sci/thread/15740454
>>
>>16266920
How do I pick a industry-relevant research topic for my chemistry PhD?
I am trying to figure out industry trends, but even the so-called "experts" have conflicting opinions and they only have predictions for a year into the future, not five years. I guess I'll just stick to medicinal or analytical chemistry to just keep it safe.
>>
>>16262684
Yes, you voted for this.
>>
>>16250131
Do you have an end in mind? You can use the NG gibs better that way.
>>
>>16255683
Explore any chemistry field and you will end up in another disciple the further you specialize into said field.
>>
>>16266974
pick a vague area of interest then ask your supervisor. it's hard for people just entering research to know where the fruitful areas are
>>
How the fuck do I decide which PhD programs to apply to?
I'm looking to do applied physics and possibly drop out once I've got my masters, but possibly just go for an engineering degree instead.
I'm currently a physics/math major, and want to work in the defense industry. Aerospace engineering, materials science (specifically metals), sensor systems, and nuclear physics are my interests. Working on something like missiles sounds like it'd be really cool. Unfortunately my undergrad advisor is a chink national (I'm American), so he knows nothing about the defense industry.
It's probably worth mentioning I'm 27, so much older than your average about to finish undergrad student.
>>
>>16267050
Dont take my word for it, but most defense companies seem to want electrical engineers, proficient in coding, signal processing, sensors and all that stuff. Or informatics guys.
>>
File: 1720037960970360m.jpg (108 KB, 1024x752)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>day 186 of unemployment
Yabi desu ne
>>
>>16267373
Second this anon. Two of my friends just got hired pretty quickly by Raytheon(RTX) as EEs and they were still looking for more. They did have to move cities, though.
>>
>>16267050
You can still find work in the government but it might not be defense with a physics PhD. I am not sure about math though.
>>
what's the state of research in theoretical computer science. specifically cryptography? What math & computer science courses do I need in my undergrad to have an easy time in such a graduate program?
>>
I was tricked by a society that has only ever treated me with disdain into become a freaked up little stemcel schizosissy. This is my story...
>>
>>16267373
>>16267417
Not that interested in EE. Sensors are more interesting, but less analyzing the output and more creating the input. I've done a lot of research into things like NVDs and could easily see myself working for L3 on them though.

>>16267545
Why do you say that? From what I've seen from the AIP private defense companies hire physics PhDs often.
>>
>>16266920
>accidentally studied math instead of fire, blood, and steel
shit... it was so obvious
>>
>>16267050
how about you do something that will get a job
>>
so I have a bs in applied math and I am a jobless freak going to college was a huge mistake
what kind of master's should I get to fix this?
>>
>>16268083
You could have joined the military as an infantryman then transitioned to special forces. It's better than spending your entire 20s and early to mid 30s studying and "learning" and researching something no one cares about.
>>
>>16267026
>it's hard for people just entering research to know where the fruitful areas are
So how am I supposed maximize my chances of getting a job in industry?
>>
>>16268215
>gets paid peanuts, gets crippled, gets no useful skills in the real world
Lmao, at leas they clap for you
>>
>>16268221
>private security
>military contractors
>bodyguard
>martial arts instructors
>life/fitness coach
>>16268221
The opportunities are endless. It's the blackpill applied to real life: the jocks/chads get everything, nerds - nothing. I should have focused much more on physical fitness rather than useless nerd crap.
>>
>>16268089
How are you unemployed with applied math?
>>
>>16268269
I look up "applied math" on indeed and I'm not qualified for anything
>>
>>16268275
>I look up "applied math" on indeed
how the fuck did you even graduate?
>>
>>16268302
basically remembering a few formulas that are easy to derive was way easier for me than reading books and memorizing every word. I don't get how people can do a degree that requires lots of reading, memorizing so much information is really hard.
The hardest part of my degree was taking reading focused university required courses like philosophy.
I did not have a good time in college. I never enjoyed a single second of it. But I would really like a job so I can buy a nice computer for playing video games.
>>
>>16268310
I would consider avoiding 'your' field entirely. There are plenty of government and management jobs that require a college degree but they don't care what it's in. These are likely a good fit for you.
Look up what positions are open in your local government. Anything that requires a college degree but not specific skills from that degree in particular is good.
>>
File: IMG_3229.jpg (2.23 MB, 4928x3264)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
>>16266920
I don’t know if this is the right place for this but my current job is offering to cover a bachelors degree in what ever tf I want, they just want to see me put the effort into getting a degree which will help in promotion and figuring out what to do with life after retirement. Growing up and even now I love to read about weather, the atmospheric pressures that cause stuff like wind, heat, storms and all that stuff, I even loved to read about weather on other planets. What could I expect getting into a bachelor program for atmospheric sciences and/or meteorology? I tried going through college doing something that’ll “pay” but I flunked out due to lack of interest (business). I figure I can get a bachelors degree and get a deeper understanding of something I’m genuinely interested in.
>>
>>16268323
so you agree I can't get a job with an applied math degree
>>
>>16268380
I agree that [math]you[/math] can't.
>>
>>16268380
You can get a job with it. You just have to change skin colour from pajeeta to aryan. Please also apply a bigger brain in your zombiecorpse you call a body.
>>
>>16268372
Meterology is very math heavy. Atmospheric sciences can be hit or miss depending on level of math and rigour in their programme. Some are just shady biology programmes.
>>
>>16268735
What if I'm greek?
That's somewhere between pajeet and nord right?
>>
I just got an offer to study an undergraduate degree in Stats and Operations Research at my college for a heavily subsidized price because of my GPA and a really small intake for the course next year. It's going to cost me about $10k to complete the degree. I already have a computer science and economics degree, but i found the econ side lacking, I really enjoyed taking econometrics, stats and discrete structures in the past. Do you guys think it's worth taking this offer or should i just go apply for jobs? I have enough money to not really give a fuck about what i do with my time but I'm interested in your opinions.
>>
>>16268737
I figured, Ive always had a difficult time with math, what kind of math is used in meteorology? Also just generally, is there a way to “practice” your math skills before taking a class? Like are there any websites that just throws questions at you?
>>
>>16268842
Partial differential equations, dynamical systems, prob and stats and increasingly Machine learning.

Best way to practice for a class is find the prereqs, find out which books are used for that prereq and do the exercises.
>>
what's the number one thing that will get you an internship?

>t. research grad
>>
>>16268868
a firm handshake
>>
>>16268868
Soft pillowy lips
>>
> Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

> If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

Fuck off to >>>/adv/
>>
>>16268950
no you fuck off
>>
File: gogh.jpg (1.28 MB, 2000x2652)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
Not totally sure if this is the right place to ask this, but posting here anyway.
I graduated a couple of years ago with a BSc Mathematics from a top 10 UK University, however I graduated with a Third Class due to having undiagnosed ADHD and other mental problems. I got a programming job immediately after graduating but it is in a location I hate, and I want to do something else but I am unsure how much my grades (48%) will hold me back. I never brought up my grades to my employers.
My questions: Is it possible, or even worth it, to get a masters degree? Would a 1st Class masters degree overrule my shitty undergrad grades? I want to go into ML or some sort of mathematical finance however those areas typically require an MSc as a minimum, so I feel sort of confused and stuck.
I don't want to climb the corporate ladder because I don't like the location or the work, but it pays relatively well considering the location. I could also maybe just ditch the maths angle entirely and focus on more CS-oriented jobs since I hear they typically don't value masters degrees.
>>
>>16267608
I'm not a theoretical CS person but my former school (KU Leuven) has highly ranked Masters and PhD programs in cryptography (top 5 in Europe, top 30 worldwide). For the masters, they expect you to have BS in CS or math, and have taken the standard undergrad CS courses including proof-based discrete math, real analysis, linear algebra and abstract algebra up to Galois theory, you should also know some basics of complex analysis. OTOH if you major in math you should try to do a CS minor. During the 1st master year (which would be your senior year at a 4 year university) your core courses are
>cryptography (2 courses)
>complexity theory
>number theory
>computer algebra systems
>cybersec
so taking graduate-level courses in these areas would make sense.
Post-quantum cryptography seems to be kind of hot right now. You do not need any physics background for this (although learning QM from the physics perspective is fun in itself), just math.
Also if you don't get admitted for a PhD out of your 4-year bachelor, I will shill the Masters program to you: it's only 8k euros tuition and there's great faculty like Vincent Rijmen you can do research with.
>>
>>16268868
Nepotism
Ask your family, friends and their family and friends
>>16268988
>Would a 1st Class masters degree overrule my shitty undergrad grades?
Yes. But with such bad grades it might be hard to get admitted. You should still just apply to verify this. It can be helpful to include a letter of recommendation from your employer. It may also be easier to get admitted to a program outside of the UK. But it's hard to say if this would help you. Have you considered switching jobs? If you have 2 years of experience or more you should be able to get a pay raise and move to a nicer location.
>>
>>16268988
going back to school is a risky move. Like the other anon said, you should consider trying to find a programming job in a different place, this will probably give a pay bump and if you don't hate the new place, you'll be happier with your work too. But if your heart is set on pivoting into a different field, then follow your heart, even if it is risky.
>>
>>16269098
> they expect you to have BS in CS or math, and have taken the standard undergrad CS courses including proof-based discrete math, real analysis, linear algebra and abstract algebra up to Galois theory, you should also know some basics of complex analysis.
fuck man. This program must be one of the best in the world to have such sky high expectations. I hardly know even one area properly from the list of areas you'd mentioned. Are these the same requirements for their PhD program as well?
>>
>>16269116
>>>16268868
>Nepotism
>Ask your family, friends and their family and friends
based and true, unless you are actually good, then you might get away with asking one of your teachers, they usually have solid connections
>>
>>16266920
are you turkish op?
>>
>>16269146
>Are these the same requirements for their PhD program as well?
No those are higher.
But you might be overthinking it, you're not expected to know these areas really deeply, just to have the basics down. For example, the CS bachelor program at that school does all of abstract algebra in 1 semester, so you only spend 1 or 2 lectures on basic notions of Galois theory. The math program has 2 semesters of abstract algebra, including already a full semester of number theory, but it's lighter in CS. My point is, if you have a BS in CS or math from a solid university with good grades, I think they'd admit you. My intention was not to say "this is everything you should know" (since I haven't actually done a crypto program so I'm not fully sure, but I've done some quantum computing stuff so the point about quantum crypto being approachable without a physics background I'm confident in) but more to figure out which undergrad majors would be possible and what courses are important if you want to go down that path
>>
>>16269183
>including already a full semester of number theory
*and also a full semester of number theory
>>
File: 1720213887465205.jpg (237 KB, 1170x770)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
Stembros...
I worked hard. I spent my youth studying. I got the degree.
They said if I studied hard and became an engineer I'd get a middle class life and a 6/10 wife. Society needed me. How did it all go so bad. It wasn't supposed to be like this
>>
>>16269544
Poojesh and Chang get to enjoy the American Dream.
>>
>>16269544
What did you think was gonna happen, retard
They got computers and the internet now, they don't need some middle man running around crunching numbers
>>
>>16269544
globalists did this to us
>>
>>16269544
Living the life that would have been best for your father will not get you the life that will be best for you.
>>
What careers in industry is there for computational EM? Heard it was a dead field
>>
Excuse me >>16267608 for a moment

>>16269098
>Also if you don't get admitted for a PhD out of your 4-year bachelor, I will shill the Masters program to you
Hmm, your pitch has intrigued me. I'd heard about KU Leuven before, but this level of detail is enlightening.

A PhD perplexes me as I have no (or too many) idea about what field of research I'd like to dive into, so a 2 year MSc is just right - some deepened understanding, but without missing out on half a decade of professional remuneration.

Thanks! Screencapping this.
>>
>>16269544
The reality is pure STEM isn't enough anymore. Soft skills are now way more important in industry. Every firm has 50+ Indian programmers working on poverty wages in Mumbai and maybe 2 people that can write a coherent report or do a presentation. You can easily find a Sri Lankan that can do 95% of the things that a local engineer can do for a tenth of the pay, but firms struggle to find a single engineer that has any social or soft skills that can work with business people.
>>
>>16268853
Got it, it’ll be a while before I can start taking the classes but I’ll just start getting my practice in
>>
>>16268215
Rip knees
>>
I'm about to start a PhD in nuclear physics. My future advisor already has me fumbling around with two students in the group writing their dissertations. How do I make sure I get a decent job at the end of this?
>>
>>16269183
>you're not expected to know these areas really deeply, just to have the basics down.
topics like analysis do mean I must complete texts like baby rudin or spivak thoroughly right? Do I have better odds satisfying say a machine learning PhD pre req than that of cryptography, assuming my math is at level 0?
>>16269780
you're most welcome sir
>>
>>16269978
>level 0?
by that I mean, something like only high school math and maybe freshman calculus?
>>
>>16269978
Okay I was actually wrong about the real analysis thing. The thing is, I have a friend who majored in CS and they do take 3 semesters of "analysis" while I'm a math/physics major, and he was bragging to me about how difficult it is and that they also do proof-based stuff like constructing the Riemann integral and so on. But now I've actually checked their syllabus and it's just calculation-focused calculus, multivariate calculus and differential equations, so if you did baby Rudin volume 1 you would already be mogging 95% of CS majors. So for cryptography this would be totally optional, and algebra is more important. Analysis is more important for ML, but you can get by with just freshman calculus. If you have time, I'd still recommend a proof-based real analysis course if you want to get serious about math because it really forces you to think like a mathematician and increases your power level in math, but you should do algebra first. The good news is, you don't need any prerequisites beyond high school math to start with linear algebra and abstract algebra.

Can you explain your situation a bit, how many years of undergrad do you have left and what did you study until now?
>>
>Have over 2 yrs exp in major engineering companies
>Have certifications for engineering design and site work
>Have solid referrals from previous employee
>Sent CV to over 100 places in my city for graduate roles
>only 4 interviews
>3 of the 4 which I have 0 experience in
>the only interview that I fully qualified for was rejected for some arbitrary reason
>meanwhile my classmates got job handed to them by nepotism are getting PIP'd
This job market so fucking upside down.
>>
>>16270122
>Can you explain your situation a bit, how many years of undergrad do you have left and what did you study until now?
I've about 1.5 years left and the math that I know is basic stats for social sciences, calc 1 & 2 and that's about it. I've just started doing discrete math using kenneth rosen's text and plan to complete it in 2-3 months. I wanted to transition into computer science as I was always interested in that and the math side of it, but those interests never materialized due to personal reasons. I'm ready to put in the efforts now and do what it takes to to either get into ML or cryptography, but I'm confused and a bit scared if I might end up choosing the wrong path from the pov of talent & effort required. There's also the constant fear that this entire ML thing might be one big overhyped field that may lose it's zeal & confidence from big companies who fund fellowships for grad students, thereby forcing institutes to reduce their intake & upping their entry requirements.
>The good news is, you don't need any prerequisites beyond high school math to start with linear algebra and abstract algebra.
glad to hear that.
>>
>>16270131
>meanwhile my classmates got job handed to them by nepotism are getting PIP'd
how does it even work? don't interviewers even check for fundamental knowledge of the field and projects done?
>>
>>16270153
posers slips through the crack all the time especially for entry level roles where there is no expectation to deliver value during the first 5-6 months.
>don't interviewers even check for fundamental knowledge of the field and projects done?
Everyone I know fluff up their contribution to group projects, in fact interviewers are expects a couple of white lies from fresh grads. The problem comes from screening out people who actually know their shit from the posers who can only regurgitate information from uni projects or family/friends.
>t. heard this from my previous hiring manager who is part of the recruitment team
>>
>junior position
>requirements:
>1 year of experience
So tired of this shit
>>
>>16270170
>interviewers expect white lies
>The problem comes from screening out people who actually know their shit from the posers who can only regurgitate information from uni projects or family/friends.
why don't companies do a good job in having good interviewers in the first place? Is it that costly for companies to implement good measures for hiring sincere, diligent and talented people?
>>
File: 1714756847725712.png (213 KB, 396x395)
213 KB
213 KB PNG
>>16269544
>mfw graduating in EE soon
I just want to work on satellites and live somewhere comfy, why does everything have to be so fucking awful
>>
>>16269848
Attend one conference a year and graduate internships if possible
>>
File: coffee.jpg (166 KB, 2000x2000)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>16266920
any lab managers? i feel like i've hit my cap.
>>
>>16269823
>The reality is pure STEM isn't enough anymore. Soft skills are now way more important in industry.
When I was a teenager working in fast food my manager always put me on the cash register because she said I was "way more presentable than everyone else."
I never knew what she meant by this because I considered myself a fugly virgin.
Maybe it's because I was the only one not covered in acne? My skin must naturally maintain a ph level that kills off the bacteria that would otherwise cause acne. Is this a soft skill?
>>
>>16270472
The fact that you've brought the ph of your skin into the discussion tells me that your soft skills are a bit crusty even if your face isn't.
>>
>>16270140
I think it's definitely possible to do discrete math + linear algebra + abstract algebra in 1.5 years to a decent level. How much programming experience do you have?
The Rosen text looks nice and in depth. The supplementary exercises for chapter 4 look very cool, if you find those fun that's a good sign
> but I'm confused and a bit scared if I might end up choosing the wrong path from the pov of talent & effort required
If you want reassurance it would make sense to talk to some professors or other more senior people who know you, have you done any internships or stuff like that? Career-wise, an internship will help you way more than covering an extra textbook
>>
>>16270472
You probably weren't high/drunk and spoke English clearly. For many low-tier jobs that's enough to put you in the top 10%.
>>
>>16266920
I've been out of steady work for over a year now. Gig work is pretty much it. I went to Cambridge, I got a first, I have good soft skills. I even got an award for science presentation. All of that work for poverty in exchange. I really don't know what the fuck is wrong with our countries, because while I don't mean this to come across the wrong way, how much more is it meant to take for me to be able to contribute to something and get enough money to not starve in exchange?
I want to bail on this shithole and head over to the US, because your job market seems like heaven compared to here. But fuck me, what happened?
>>
>>16269544
FPGA and ASIC designers rise up
>>
>>16270497
>How much programming experience do you have?
not much other than basic python.
>>
If I introduce myself to an advisor, show that I have the required starting knowledge, and we agree on a research topic, can they can just "get me in" a phd program? and I can skip the whole application headache?
>>
>>16270706
Yes and no. Normally any positions will have to be publicly advertised and you will have to do all parts of the application process as anyone else would. Further, the university can have minimum academic requirements for PhD students, which are outside of the advisor's control.

However the advisor usually is the de facto decision maker for who gets the position, and if they want to give the position to you they almost certainly can make that happen. Having them convinced that you're up to the task prior to the application process is a huge leg up.
>>
>>16270578
What subject did you get a first at cambridge? Did you have zero work experience going into the degree and zero getting out of it?
>>
>>16270578
>I really don't know what the fuck is wrong with our countries
I do.
>>
Anyone here who works in computer graphics ? I was looking for research role in Game Engineering companies

(Follow up - How is KU Leuven for computer graphics, it seems like a affordable uni for ms)

>T. (Cse- junior)
>>
>>16270424
I'm probably going to get the chance to go to a conference in September.
>>
File: 1665140787310356.png (201 KB, 256x350)
201 KB
201 KB PNG
>>16267415
>+410 days of unemployment
You still have a chance. Work harder and don't be picky like I was.
>>
>>16270878
NTA but come on, coming out of a very highly regarded university and then telling people
>no, even that's not enough now, you need to be competing for internships here, and here and here and if you don't you're not worth employing
is a fucking joke.
Anecdotally, I knew one of the smartest guys I met at Oxford who finished, left with a masters and spent 2 years on nothing but absolute scraps. This guy was really smart, he was friendly, great guy, good social skills, did an internship, still got fucking nothing. I really couldn't tell you what he needed to do. If I had a company I'd leap to employ a guy like that. At some point it isn't the students who are to blame for this.
>>
>>16270878
>Did you have zero work experience going into the degree
and this standard is completely absurd
>>
>>16267545
Not true. I did a postdoc in a defence national lab.

t.Physicist
>>
Online job postings were a mistake.
>>
>>16271205
It is not. Anyone can get a fucking job at mcdicks.
>>
>>16266920
Your picrel is unscientific by the way.
>>
>>16271488
What's the point of even having school if we expect kids to start working at 11 like in the 1600s.

What was the point of all the technology if we're back to the old system anyway.
>>
>>16271516
Get a summerjob so your CV is not completely empty you lazy fuck. Or just buy a reference like the rich kids do.
>>
>>16271488
Nobody gives a shit about your high school job. That's why that question was irrelevant.
>>
>>16271488
It's completely stupid. If someone graduates from MIT or some name-brand institution, whether or not they flipped a burger at 16 isn't a serious question. In fact it would be more common for a serious employer to tell you to remove jobs like that from your CV at that point. Total time-waster.
>>
>>16271503
Doesn't make it any less true.
>>
>>16266920
kek whats the original image without the text?
>>
>>16271488
>>16271520
>>16271528
>>16271533

Yeah, I worked a shit job in the mail for a year before university and summer jobs in potato fields and so on as a teen. By the time I graduated university that shit was out of my CV. Employers care about relevant experience, most jobs straight out high school aren't that. It's also stupid to expect anyone to get work experience prior to university, it's a waste of time since the jobs you can get not only will be irrelevant but also are very badly paid.
>>
>>16271182
It turns out the university you went to doesn't actually matter. People just think it does.
>>
>>16271640
>since the jobs you can get not only will be irrelevant but also are very badly paid.
This isn't always true. The former is almost always, but the latter not at all. There are a lot of jobs that require little to no experience and are actually very well paid, like being a waiter at a nice restaurant or many overnight jobs.
My first job was $27/hr, doing the overnight at a hotel. It was awful, just an absolute nightmare. But the pay for someone with zero experience is amazing. If you're female and attractive in a big city, it's not unreasonable to make a LOT more as waitstaff at a nicer place.
>>
>>16271671
I still find this alarming. It's objectively true the education you'd have got from a lot of these places is generally a lot better than what you get at lower ranked universities. Rankings are a meme, yes, but Oxbridge and the like do have a big quality advantage because of who works there.
Considering the fact that there are guys with great educations who are in these positions, there's also going to be his equivalent from Imperial, or UCL, or LSE, or whatever, who are also in this position. So what are we doing with all these undeniably smart people? We're wasting an entire generation.
>>
>>16271671
It matters, but it's just one variable. Nobody will hire you based off just university name. But an elite university can make your application stand out, and it's one of the key words that gets your resume flagged as "do not shred" by whatever bots employers use to screen CVs. I personally know I could get an interview at some top finance institutions by asking the right person simply because I've done physics at top universities. I wouldn't get the job as I know shitting fuck about finance, but the point is that I could at least get to the point where I can prove myself.

More vaguely, top universities tend to have a lot of people who are smart, driven and end up in good places, and those networks can be very helpful.
>>
>>16271533
Think what you want. If I was to hire somebody, I really want to know about previous jobs that were not as flashy and how long they held onto them.
>>16271640
You can mention them in a line on your CV, nothing less nothing more. If you take away everything from your CV so its empty, you are a retard.
>>
>>16271695
>If I was to hire somebody, I really want to know about previous jobs that were not as flashy
This is the problem with the hiring system, every retard has their own preferences which are in direct contradiction to half the other retards doing hiring and every retard expects applicants to magically figure out which flavor of crayon the one reading their 48th application this month will like.

Meanwhile Stacy from HR sees that you're a former McDonalds wagie applying to be a quant at Citadel, immediately labels you as a charity case who "doesn't fit the culture", says you can't prioritize the valuable time of the employer by making them read an extra line which only functions to prove you're poor and shreds your application immediately.

>If you take away everything from your CV so its empty, you are a retard.

Obviously, but by the time you graduate university there should be some degrees, an internship or two, something extracurricular and maybe some awards, projects, whatever. It's a waste of time to have a bloated CV with "babysitting for neighbours" levels of entries if you're looking for a professional job. If that's all you have then maybe it's better than nothing.
>>
>>16271695
You tailor your resume towards the kind of job you want. If you are applying for a STEM job you delete your fast food experience. No one cares that you worked at fast food when you were 16 and there is literally ZERO chance you are going to meme them by saying it taught you valuable lessons or whatever. It just makes you look like you have no clue what the fuck you're talking about and you don't belong there.
If you're applying for a STEM job your resume should only have relevant STEM stuff on it. They don't care about anything else.
>>
>>16271695
>You can mention them in a line on your CV, nothing less nothing more. If you take away everything from your CV so its empty, you are a retard.
Also I forgot to mention, if your resume is empty because you don't have much work experience, then go into detail about what you learned in your classes. It gives you something to talk about, pads out your resume, and still looks better than your work experience at McCuck's.
>>
Just work for your father's company, that's what I did
>>
getting hired is too much work, I'll just start my own business instead
>>
>>16271695
It's not my opinion, this is what happens in the real world. I tried recommending a friend for a job once who thought like you and got him to give a CV, and the hiring team got back to me to tell him to take his fucking random high school jobs off his CV given that he was in his 20s with a university degree. Nobody gives a shit about burger flipping if you're qualified to do something with a degree.
Besides which, how did all of this even come out of an anon commenting he had a degree and was struggling for work? High school jobs are not ever going to be the reason for unemployment.
>>
>>16271719

>internship or two.

Did you know most interships require prior experience?
>>
>>16271679

why don't you just say escort
>>
what if i suddenly have a farting spasm during the interview
>>
>>16271831
immediate hire as CEO for taking command of the interview situation and leaving your mark on the company
>>
It may be different in the anglosaxon world. You don't mention the jobs you have had before. Where I live, previous work experience is very meritorious. Even if it is burgerflipping, asswiping, toilet cleaning or assembly line shit. Because it shows you are a notch or two above the zoomers who are clueless and completely retarded.
>>
>>16271687
I can't speak to Engrand, but in the US having gone to both a top 3 and who knows what garbo state school I honestly don't think there's a difference in the education. The demographics are slightly better at the better school (less people there who don't care at all/have zero aspiration) but that's really the only major difference I saw.
Although it's true your staff is presumably better at higher tier schools, your interactions are also so much worse I don't think it matters that much unless you get an active research project with them. Since a lot of people go to national labs or private companies for internships, this is just such a minority that I don't think it matters much.
>>
>>16272323
>I honestly don't think there's a difference in the education
I don't know where you went but the pace of work is unbelievably slow in lower tier schools. There's absolutely a big difference.
However, I think it's a small difference when you have motivated students in shit universities. Since everything's available to everyone now, the difference has shrunk a lot for someone with the motivation to put in the work. Having said that, someone with that kind of motivation would also be much better off in an environment that supports it, which you get at the top tier places.
>>
>>16272480
I went to Harvey Mudd College. The pace of work wasn't any faster there than a random state school. The biggest advantage is having hands-on learning more often, since rather than simply watching videos and learning about some machines you can actually have them on site more.
The fact of the matter is most classes use the same textbook, regardless of school. And most will go through the same chapters, regardless of school. A 'faster pace' may result in more of the optional sections being covered, or perhaps you could say it's done in more depth. But at the end of the day a first semester calculus class taught at a high school or transfer college isn't really any worse than one taught at a top tier school. Reading a chapter of Griffith's and doing the problems from it isn't any different just because you're paying twice as much for the professor to assign those problems to you as homework.
I admit this may be dramatically different for humanities; I don't know or care. I also looked it up just now, and it seems the ranking of HMC has fallen dramatically, and it's very possible I was attending during a time that resulted in that decline. I don't think it affects my argument much overall though, given the relative difference is still massive.
>>
>>16272512
>top 3
>Harvey Mudd College
there's your problem
>>
>>16272512
>Harvey Mudd
kek
anon, top schools objectively do cover more content at a faster pace, and if you didn't see it at Harvey Mudd, no offense, it's because Harvey Mudd is a lot closer to a "random state school" than an actual top 3
I mean Harvey Mudd's not even top 3 in california let alone the country
>>
My quality of live as a miserable state school stemtard britcel only improved once I left the country. No more "footy", no more private school bosses and interviewers, no more orange women, no more "telly".

That country simply isn't fit for a young autistic aristocrat of the soul with limited means.

Eventually you have to ask yourself, why devote your life to a system that seems to hold you in utter disdain? The only winning move is not to play.
>>
>>16272613
where did you move?
>>
>>16272641
Somewhere in northern Europe. The most important thing is that I liberated my mind from Brutish tricknology.
>>
>>16266974
Don’t do computational or theoretical chemistry. I got my PhD developing new molecular dynamics methods and my first fucking job was at Walmart and then at a convenience store. Now I’m an analytical chemist getting $58,000 a year. Definitely worth 6 years in grad school learning quantum mechanics.
>>
>>16269848
>>16270424
At least one conference a year. At the conference make an effort to talk to peers as well as early career researchers as well as any industry people at the conference. Peers especially can let you know if good jobs are available.
For your first two years be a yes man and agree to help anyone in (or even outside) your group with whatever. If you have free time then go around the lab and ask if you can help or get involved.
>>
How the fuck do I get a job with a math phd?
>>
>>16272607
>>16272610
Like I said, it seems to have gone down a lot. I had a number of classmates that chose to go there over MIT or Caltech at the time; for engineering it was top three. I checked and US News and World actually named their engineering program #1 during my attendance.
>>
How do you know when to quit a PhD and try to do something different with your life?
>>
I am >>16269780

>>16271032
I did some sleuthing on KU Leuven's programme finding tool (https://www.kuleuven.be/programmes/search?Language=English), and it seems they have 2 kinds of MSc degrees:

* 2 year/120 (european) credit courses for people coming from a Bachelor's
- of these, their only one pertaining to the field of IT/CS is the MEng in CS (https://www.kuleuven.be/programmes/master-engineering-computer-science); it has two tracks - one for "Secure Software", the other for Artificial Intelligence"
* 1 year/60 (european) credit courses for people who already hold a Master's/have finished a program that has +4 years.
- one of them is related to what >>16269098 was referring to - Master of Cybersecurity (https://www.kuleuven.be/programmes/master-cybersecurity)
- the other is a Master in Artificial Intelligence (https://www.kuleuven.be/programmes/master-artificial-intelligence/index.html)

The closest thing I could find related to computer graphics was a Computer Vision module in the "Artificial Intelligence" track of the MEng / the AI Advanced Master's.

The more interesting parts of cryptography >>16269098 mentioned appeared to be in a block of cryptography courses in the Advanced Master's - the 2 year degree is a little more ground-level.
>>
>>16272878
I'm the KU Leuven shill anon
I was actually referring to the 2 year MS in Mathematical Engineering
https://onderwijsaanbod.kuleuven.be/2023/opleidingen/e/CQ_52357094.htm
This has tracks for cryptography, computer graphics, industrial process control, HPC and data science (but there is also a more focused 2 year data science masters offered by the statistics department). I've heard very good things about it. You can take all the advanced cryptography courses in this one.
The 1 year master in AI is kind of shit, it has very lax admissions requirements and lots of outdated meme courses like Prolog and Bayesian networks. The AI track of the 2 year CS program is much better. Also worth keeping in mind is that in the 1 year master, your thesis is 15 credits, versus 24 credits in the 2 year master, which is obviously much better. For this reason I'd be suspicious of the 1 year cybersec course. The 1 year courses are more for people who want to switch fields after doing a masters they end up not liking.
>a Computer Vision module in the "Artificial Intelligence" track of the MEng / the AI Advanced Master's.
This course kek, they create Kaggle competitions that you do in groups of 5 and don't give you any resources or feedback. No added value over self-studying
Btw if you have specific questions abut courses/programs feel free to ask since the engineering students' club has a wiki with course evaluations and resources (it's locked behind one's university account). I can also answer questions about the physics department (their main specialty is semiconductors since IMEC has a small fab in Leuven)
>>
I'm a swede applying for trainee patent attorney positions in Munich because Sweden keeps rejecting the shit out of me for 2 years.
Is it worth it to commute by plane to Munich to work there 2 or 3 days a week and then do the rest from home?
>>
Help me, chat. Any advice how the fuck I proceed from here?
>>
>>16272613
did you move to Paris or Munchen? Or new york?
>>
>>16272791
move to the USA else i have no idea
>>
>>16272714
but you've studied the most important stuff to discover new molecular structures and drug structure function correlations
>>
>>16272950
I moved to a higher vibrational plane brother.
>>
>>16272950
Netherlands I bet, theyre based when STEM is concerned
>>
I've Graduated with a masters degree in molecular biology. I've been looking for employment for over half a year now. I've gotten a couple of interviews but I managed to somehow fuck them up, but did good in my latest interview (but I think i might not get it). I think i might just be too unlikable or offputting to be hired (I do have diagnosed mild autism). Fuck It, it feels like it's over, im in my early 30's, plan s seems to be the inevitable future.
>>
>>16273048
Dude how did you finish your masters in your thirties. Your option is pharma but they only take affluent, sociable youngsters
>>
>>16272958
Too bad I modeled batteries
>>
>31M
>just finished PhD
>moving to new city, will be working as senior research staff
>still no gf, feel empty inside

Kinda want to find a young university girl to make a family with, but I’m too terrified of making mistakes and will probably end up dying alone despite being a “success”
>>
>>16273139
Just do it, I would suggest making sure she's over 19 though people change fast in the 18-20 range
>>
>>16273139
your height?
>>
> send professor thesis draft
> week of silence
> Professor sends back thesis draft.
> "sorry for taking so long. I found a lot of faults and got sick"
> "Reviewer wanted to get the thesis 10 days before defense. I'll have to appologize and ask her to be understanding"
> "I don't think you understood the technique. Why didn't you ask me before?"
> 10 days before defense was 4 days ago
> the numerous faults he found are either stylistic/grammar (alright) or aspects of the technique he never told me about before
> now I'm not even sure if I the experiment protocol I used was the correct one.
And how's YOUR thesis going?
>>
>>16273165
My supervisor just send me back a draft full of errors 5 days before the deadline
>>
>>16273139
You're pining away for a world that doesn't exist anymore. The way courting is done now is she gets blown out by big black cock until she's 35 and ready to settle down. Then you swoop in with your big shot PhD money and convince her that you're enough. Then if you're lucky she might shit out one retarded kid with extremely high mutational load so you can technically say you "made it" in the Darwinian sense. Then she divorces you a few years later, you lose everything, and she convinces your son he's gay to humiliate you. This is the average Western male's reproductive strategy in 2024.
>>
>>16273193
Wow it's like I'm reading a manosphere blog circa 2014. Luckily I subscribe to "just be violent" theory and have managed to "slay" proficiently
>>
>>16273198
Be violent how? Like threatening women to beat them up?

>>16273149
5’7 :/
>>
>>16273206
>5’7 :/
if you're white, your only hope is bagging an ethnic. If you're an ethnic, well it's gg. Make plans for saving enough to afford for surrogacy and eggs
>>
>>16273206
If you go to jail for a high profile crime women will literally approach you to get married. They are so attracted to violent men that it causes a complete inversion of the natural order.
>>
>>16273193
is it really that rough living in indonesia that you have to make up shit about how the rest of the world is totally is bad as your third-world country to make you not an hero?
>>
I have a masters in molecular biology and fell for the tech meme because I thought I'd make more money which was wrong.
Now I'm stuck in software testing and it's been 2 years since I've graduated. I've been applying to get out of this because I want to do something related to my 5 wasted years at university but nobody wants to hire me for entry level molecular biology positions now. I can't even get into pharmaceuticals because they think I'm an IT guy. But IT companies don't take me because my masters is not in a coding related field or physics.

I have no idea what to do.
>>
>>16273235
Indonesia has arranged marriage so you don't have to deal with this.
>>
>>16273264
I wish my parents would set me up in a well vetted arranged marriage
>>
I'm 31 in electrical engineer (power) and want to move into computer science/ programming. Do I do a boot camp type thing or go for a second bachelors degree or something else.
>>
>>16273258
Maybe check out food related biotechnologist positions. I know a guy who failed to defend his thesis in time. Got BSc half a year too late, and somehow managed to get a position at a brewery. Mind you this is in europe, where BSc is almost useless and MSc is the norm (most BSc holders also have MSc). I don't know how much nepotism was involved, but it's worth a shot.
>>16273176
how are they getting away with it? They're all really bad with managing people, which is not surprising considering they spend 5-10 years training to run experiments. And for their hard work are now rewarded with not having to do them anymore.
>>
>>16273412
Profs are managers with zero managerial training.
>>
>>16273413
Zero training, and none of them ever wanted to be in that position. I certainly don't want to manage anyone, yet if I "do good" in academic career, I'll inevidably end up as a manager. It's a shame there isn't a high level, respected possition for skilled scientists who don't want to be managers. I think most would even feel that a 45 y.o. professors, who does his own pipetting and cleaning glassware somehow failed.
>>
>>16273363
>Do I do a boot camp type thing
Absolutely not. A CS/programming degree + certs will be much more useful. I don't have a CS degree but from what I have read here, I'd try going to a college where they have opportunities for undergrads to do research. I'd also look up open projects on github w/e that means idk.
I thought EE degrees are in high demand. What gives? CS degrees a dime a dozen.
>>
>>16273206
whitecel = volcel unless you are physically disfigured.
>>
>>16273139
>STEM PhD
Dying alone (and possibly poor) comes w/ your fancy degree.
>>
>>16272714
Did you see the C&EN salary surveys? Physical/theoretical/computational chemist salaries are a pittance. Analytical chemists make decent money though and I heard their jobs a sort-of in-demand.
>>
>>16272873
Watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtEzeHkW1A
>>
>>16273429
I have a secure job, and have my PE, I'm not in any trouble financially or whatever, I just have an interest in pursuing a programming type career of some kind
>>
>>16273454
Do you plan on combining the skills you get from earning the CS degree with the experience in EE or switching to CS completely?
>>
>>16273457
Theoretically there are electrical modeling programs (ETAP, SKM) that I would maybe be able to try and find work with the companies that do something similar, there are also various controls type stuff , but it not something I would specifically be pursuing. I would be switching to CS completely as my assumption would be that those types of opportunities are a bit niche and not as numerous
>>
>>16273461
Are you willing to do grad school or just a bachelors?
>>
>>16273466
what would be the difference, I already have all the math and general sciencey shit taken (albeit like 12 years ago), would I be able to do grad school for a programming focus without a comp sci background?
>>
>>16266920
Sorry for the advice tier post, but I'd like some input on my situation. Here's some context.
>I go to a small, private university in my city in the US. It is very shitty, and low ranked for even the region it's located, around bottom 13% percentile.
For comparison's sake, my girlfriend had a 4.0 in the same major, and was denied from UW for missing one class for postgrad, but I think she also has autism and spilled spaghetti out of her mouth instead of agreeing to take an extra class.
>I'm a junior majoring in a general mathematics degree, about a 30/70 split in pure and applied mathematics courses. My minor is in Physics, which only offers a minor currently. No room for a double major.
>I am currently doing an internship at a small local branch of an international automation company doing "Quality Inspection", revising documents and doing walkdowns on million dollar machines.
23$/hr as an intern, but all my coworkers seem to drive relatively nice cars and support families (a manager seemed to be able to restore a 70s stingray and mod it). I was also told that I was apparently paid like shit from another coworker, implying a possible better rate if I was to be actually hired on. They are also a very basic company in terms of document management. It feels like I do more work when I'm modding STALKER GAMMA mods than my job.
They also spent money on me to have access for QI Macros for Excel, and I'm building a VBA project to present at the end of my internship. I also seem to be relatively popular with coworkers.

I am relatively unsure of the path I want to take nearing graduation, but have narrowed down my options to three:

>"Quality" work
>Actuarial shit
>Maybe postgrad

Should I aim to stay with the company I'm with (fairly sure I'll be kept on), or should I look to pivot to something else (ex. an insurance company wanted me to try underwriting, but I had already accepted my internship, etc.)?
>>
How much free time did/do you guys have in college (undergraduate)? I'm a physics major, and don't have a job.
>>
>>16273564
I did fuck all during my EE, I didn't have to study much and the most time I had to spend was for the senior design project which even then wasn't really killer either. I dont know how people had no lives studying

Albeit I could have used my time to study more and pursue more knowledge but meh
>>
>>16273548
The job market seems rough at the moment, especially for those just starting out. It's better to not take risks at the moment. Focus on gaining more skills and experience at your workforce. There are math PhDs here that are unemployed.
>>
>>16270184
it's a balancing act between wanting to learn as much about the candidate as they can without making them jump through a gorillion hoops during the interview process (and risk them just taking a job elsewhere)
>>
>>16273604
Pajeets and Changs fabricate and exaggerate credentials all the time. How do they do it?
>>
>>16273441
> Did you see the C&EN salary surveys?
No, I just blindly assumed I’d be one of the successful people I worked with. Other people got six figure jobs from my school meanwhile I got Walmart

> Analytical chemists make decent money though and I heard their jobs a sort-of in-demand
I’m in a job I could’ve gotten out of college trying to not get fired before I get enough experience to get a better job. It’s sad
>>
>>16273606
point is that big tech can get away with making you do 5 technical interviews. if a smaller company tried that nobody would bother even applying. that's why they can get away with it there
>>
>>16273608
Have you tried finding ways to combine what computational and analytical chemistry? There has to be something out there.
>I just blindly assumed I’d be one of the successful people I worked with
I blindly assumed I'd get a job in chemistry b/c "its in everything".
>trying to not get fired before I get enough experience to get a better job
Is it hard to not get fired? Are there jeets competing for your job that are willing to get paid minimum wage?
>>
>>16273613
> Is it hard to not get fired?
When you work for a really shitty and poorly managed corporate lab, I guess. IDK, I have lasting mental illness from grad school because I spent the last 4 years in near total isolation because computational chemistry PhD and got heavily suicidal. Rn I’m kind of under fire because I swore at my glassware really loudly one night when I thought I was alone and I was frustrated working a 14-hour day. Got a written warning for telling my pipettes to go fuck themselves…

> Have you tried finding ways to combine what computational and analytical chemistry? There has to be something out there.
There is for stuff like mass spectrometry, which is what I’m trying to learn now, but it’s not an easy technique to just learn. Mass spec is incredibly complicated to analyze and I don’t understand it well enough yet to lie through an interview to write a new Mass Spec data base for Agilent.
>>
>>16273258
Become a computational biologist/chemist.
>>
>>16273579
what was your GPA?
>>
>>16272950
Different anon but I moved from bongistan to France and then Switzerland. The French pay was shit but it didn't matter because everything else about my life including spending power was better than the UK.
Still hold that opinion even after the fresh immigrant veneer wore off.
>>
>>16273929
do you commute to Switzerland from bongistan by air?
>>
>>16273564
In physics undergrad I had up to 35 hours of lectures or taught time per week and around 10 hours of coursework per week depending on difficulty. I don't think I could have coped working alongside that, value my free time too much and spent it going /out/.
>>
>>16273930
I earn enough to fly from the uk without trouble but no. I cycle in like a good swiss non-citizen.
>>
>>16270578
The UK was great for science and engineering during the Victorian era, and it went down hill from then on. These days a degree in antediluvian archaeology is probably a better ticket to a well paid job than a science degree.
The best thing you can do is to leave the UK.
>>
>apply to "top" university with 3.7 GPA equivalent
>get instantly admitted with short letter from the president
This country is a joke
>>
>>16273956
The one benefit of the UK system is that you can get through and complete a PhD by 26/27 years of age. You can then escape the country and never return.
You do have to compete for postdocs against more experienced (and often better trained) PhD graduates from other countries but once you do get in, you're in.
>>
>>16273969
If youre lucky and nothing goes wrong. In comparison to other countries on the continent though the British higher education system is a lot less forgiving. And as you said, you will be competing for PhDs with Europeans with sometimes multiple masters degrees, who also haven't suffered the mental anguish of the British state school system turning them into deranged schizopaths.
>>
File: 1567314113809.png (2.22 MB, 1920x1080)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
>>16273979
Not even to mention that to get a masters degree in the UK you often need more money than the loan covers, so if you are like me and a white man (who WALKS ALONE) you will likely need to work in between undergrad and masters, taking you off the boil and submitting you to a barrage of adult female bullying.

Pic related my soul after working at a call centre for a year.
>>
>>16273969
bloody hell mate, most people who finish their PhD in Europe are 28 even if they don't waste time.
Britain is always better aye? always faster
>>
>>16273984
Feel free to move and live here and see how much the insane rent, crumbling infrastructure and unforgiving education system is. Enjoy paying in excess of 11k for a masters degree and having more than half of your course mates be Chinese. Enjoy then competing with over credentialed Ivy league fafgot stemchads for PhD places and jobs.
>>
>>16273979
why does the whole world move to the UK instead of Germany etc? just for the english?
>>
>>16273165
My advisor barely even reads my drafts
He scrolls through the whole thing and as long as it looks structurally good he says it's fine
I've made multiple critical errors that he missed and I tripped over weeks later
>>
>>16273997
We're a light touch on immigration, we have huge immigrant populations in London from all over the world so that's a pull factor (people are likely to know someone already), our economy is focussed almost entirely around services and e.g. having Albanians delivers pizzas on bicycles to people at 3 Am, the language is better known, our elites find themselves having greater commonality with the elites of other nations and so employ them ahead of home grown talent.
>>
>>16273969
>The one benefit of the UK system is that you can get through and complete a PhD by 26/27 years of age.
I got my BSc and then PhD at 28 as an overseas student. It was fast, but also eye wateringly expensive.
>You can then escape the country and never return.
People like me were explicitly forbidden from seeking employment in the UK, so that was never an issue for me. I did my postdoc rounds elsewhere.
>>
>>16273997
If English is not your native language, there is a lot of value in learning the language in the UK and also the culture. German has less value, and you really don't want to go to countries that has French as an official language.
>>
>>16273983
>so if you are like me and a white man (who WALKS ALONE) you will likely need to work in between undergrad and masters
Literally me but thankfully it's only for a year, I don't see why they can't give you a bit more of a loan considering you usually do an MS for a full year instead of just September-June
>>
>>16273997
It is very easy to find off the books black market work in the UK, at least compared to most European countries. There's also a notable amount of indentured service, effectively slave labour in immigrant populations. The UK is also pretty rubbish about kicking you out of the country when you do get caught.
>>
Any logicians here? I am about to get my BA in philosophy and am going to do a MSc in logic.
>>
>>16273984
4 year integrated masters (bsc + 1 year of masters combined into one degree).
3 year PhD.
I have seen it done in three years by psychopaths but a 3.5 or 4-year PhD is more common in physics.
That still has you starting a postdoc long before the Americans.
Makes hiring Americans a joke, you end up with an experienced and mature research getting paid a starter postdoc wage.
>>
>>16274063
>Any logicians here?
Not that I know of, but the 4ch readership continues to amaze. However...
>I am about to get my BA in philosophy and am going to do a MSc in logic.
What is the job market like in this esoteric field?

t. FAQ editor
>>
>>16274042
Yeah it's just ludicrous. You can't whine about lack of stem talent in the country then throw up roadblocks to people getting that training.
>>
>>16274068
It's a research master oriented towards a PhD. The work done with a philosophy background is of the analytical (logical) philosophy school mostly in the areas of mind, cognition, language. If you have a comp-sci/ai/maths background people will mostly head into industry without a phd and research logic within their respective field.
>>
>he lists philosophy first in light of expelling inborn anger at the greatness of other minds taking the subject seriously.
>>
>>16274087
Totally schizophrenic post, now that's the fruits of a STEM education.
>>
>>16274063
>MSc. in logic
lol. lmao even. And I thought my PhD in algebra was the worst career move anyone ever made.
>>
>>16274125
It's one of the best logic programs in the world. You can teach at top unis or wage for jewish companies if you'd like
>>
>>16274126
Yeah Mr.shekelberg is just dying to hire a University of Amsterdam logic mscs
>>
>>16273693
i dunno like 3ish, I wasn't aiming for top of the class either
>>
>>16274080
I'm in EE, supposedly a "high demand" field, and every graduate job wants a master's and years of work experience. Every job listing has hundreds of applicants also. I think the only job I'll be able to get is in an Amazon warehouse or something at this point, everything is completely fucked up in this country right now
>>
>>16274058
>off the books black market work in the UK
like what?
>>
>>16268226
KEK, grass is greener anon. I think NEETs who found themselves a gf are the true winners
>>
>>16274207
You don't know what the g in gf means, your mind is a complete cock fest.
>>
>>16274214
Well anon, I don't do all that gay homo xyz stuff. Why did you comment something so gay? Your mind is twisted.

Maybe NEET is too much, but from what I've seen, humble people who aren't chasing careers like obsessed mongols, and instead find themselves a woman, win in life.
>>
>>16274126
>It's one of the best
You know, I read this sentence so often, it just makes me kek nowadays, because in hindsight, you realize how many get duped by
>"It's the best" => "You're set for life!"
>>
>>16274205
Working in car washes for one. There used to be lots of automatic car washes in the UK, now there are more hand car washes and it's because it's cheaper to hire immigrants. One way immigration has led to a decrease in productivity, which is very low in the UK.
>>
>>16274243
Yeah this happened to me, and I'm a sensitive genius.
>>
>>16274243
they post graduate reports
>>
>>16274283
Yeah they all do man. What they don't do is post a breakdown showing what happens if you aren't a Nepo baby or have other legs ups
>>
>>16274271
I dont think car washes has an economic effect in any country
>>
>>16274311
It's not just about car washes genius, it's about the way businesses use immigration lowering wages to avoid investing in labour saving technology. Never respond to me again retard.
>>
>>16271789
Prior experience could be undergraduate research. All it takes for a professor to sponsor you is showing interest, and having a high GPA. That's it. There's your prior experience.

Or join an engineering design club, produce something real for a competition.
>>
>>16274313
I think it’s bad that they let immigration get to that point but good because I’d rather they be busy washing cars than idling around to be quite honest with you
>>
>>16273193
>>16273216
mental illness
>>
what kind of mental illness makes people go into applied maths/physics instead of just engineering
>>
>>16274313
pick a better example
>>
>>16274340
Its a very visible and obvious example to any brit.

>>16274322
Yes but its not a coincidence that they are here and doing that.
>>
>>16274004
If you strip WW2 of the bullshit fake narrative surrounding it, the UK technically lost. They had to make a deal with the devil to escape a war that they never should have gotten involved in. It's very hard to make a case that they won considering what they lost and how their country had been changed by the time it was over. Germany, even despite being physically obliterated, recovered better than the UK.
The UK is a poor, hollowed out shithole but they have a few megarich bankster jewish gangs living in London that balances it out on paper.
>>
>undergrad finished by age 28
How bad does this look as an EE? Do employers not give a fuck as long as I'm competent? Or is this going to be a serious roadblock? I am getting several mixed reactions to this question from people I've talked to personally.
>>
>>16274459
If you worked before your undergrad, it doesn't matter. Loads of people go back to school after realizing they want a different career
If your situation is that you spent four years of your 20s jerking off to anime, just don't put anything to indicate your age on your resume and it won't come up
>>
>>16274271
oh lol I thought you mean black market STEM work
>>
>>16274602
No lol the negative impact on British stemcels is harder to parse out than that
>>
>>16274379
Could you elaborate more upon how it is that the UK ended up technically 'losing' w.r.t. their economic situation? I'm interested in what you have to say over the entire period, from pre-war political obligations in Poland and elsewhere, to post-war 'decolonization' efforts, and how post-war economic climate made such overseas pullbacks necessary.
>>
>>16274287
Holy cope. There are no "nepo babies" there, it's a department of logic, only autists.
>>
>>16274541
>you spent four years of your 20s jerking off to anime
hey, how tf did you get a hold of my resume?
>>
>>16274839
I'm talking about what happens to them after they leave. Why would I be coping? I'm not the one signing his life away to study logic of all things
>>
>>16274784
Was this supposed to be a flex or something? Your post sounds exactly like that grad school guy at the Harvard bar in Good Will Hunting kek.
>>
>>16274869
Nepo babies don't do logic nor would they be able to get into the program. What field have you assigned your life to? Queer studies?
>>
>>16274880
Are you being retarded on purpose

I was asking a legitimate question. He said it impacted them economically, so I made my question as clear and well defined as possible so he wouldn't waste his time typing up bullshit I wasn't asking about. Stop projecting this mental illness onto me
>>
>>16274880
More than that, it's literally just a normal sentence, there is nothing flowery or academic about it. If anything, it's way too drawn out and not very concise or easy to read.
Are people literally just less literate across the board now, is that why you're complaining about a question you might hear at a fucking coffee shop?
>>
>>16274896
Man you are in for a rude awakening lol. People who get ahead thanks to family connections do all sorts of things.
>>
>>16274933
You speak of delusions and tell others to awaken to them. You err by concluding that because some nepotism exists in academia and industry, all nonwell-connected people's prospects are but a forlorn hope
>>
>>16274972
Jump in with both feet brother I can see you are a master of logical jibber jabber, you'll probably do great
>>
>>16274990
>jibber jabber
Logic is the opposite of jibber jabber. It is truth made manifest through symbols.
>>
>>16275005
It's a form of truth, don't get ahead of yourself symbol-boy
>>
How the fuck do I go back to school for another degree, do I need to test and take an ACT and shit again? I already have an engineering degree from an accredited school and did all the base requisite shit once upon a time

I dont understand how this works
>>
I have a math phd in algebra. I took several advanced courses in mathematical logic for my M.Sc. at Stockholm University that covered Gödel's theorems, model theory, proof theory, type theory, set theory and forcing, etc. I studied under some of the best mathematical logicians: Erik Palmgren (dual professor of philosophy and mathematical logic, RIP) and Per Martin-Löf (literally the inventor of type theory). Extremely interesting stuff, but with almost zero employabilty. Please plan your career. Be responsible.
>>
>>16274327
for me, personally, it was depression and inferiority complex
>>
>>16275013
What other forms of truth are there outside of logic which may be known by us?
>>
>>16272910
>Mathematical Engineering

Hm... I quickly scanned that MSc in my first pass, though I failed to see it also had the cryptography component.
Yikes, these curricula are really good; it is difficult to choose.

- The CS MEng has some focus on distributed systems and less cryptography;
- The ME MSc goes more deeply into cryptography + it has some HPC and the possibility of going seriously into industrial process control (which I have no background in, might be tough)

I'm sold on the electives - the ME MSc's Financial Mathematics course seems neat.
>>
>>16275034
You must get out of your comfort zone. Really learn programming, statistics and apply it. What you have learnt, you must apply it. Otherwise it is useless.
>>
I love just always taking courses. I'm currently working on two specialized master certificates (one of them doesn't have an actual degree program simply because it's rare) because I love school. My job simply pays for whatever education I want.

Why do people even stop taking courses and building up different credentials? Even if I become stressed going to one class a semester really isn't a big deal.
>>
>>16275340
Are those classes given remotely?
>>
>>16275667
Yes, as a matter of fact they are in something called harvard business school. But distance learning.
>>
>>16274459
it might come up if it's your first job interview but after you get job experience it won't matter at all
>>
File: feels good man.jpg (163 KB, 999x823)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>16266920
Just got an offer of employment. 50k Cad (asking) for AutoCAD design technician working in the electrical transmission sector.
I posted how I failed the AutoCAD proficiency test... and I heard nothing back since.
I kept practising, and after 2 weeks, I called them. They said I could arrange a second test, I did that, it was very similar to test 1, and I did much better.
Dare I say, WAGMI?
>>
>>16274327
its the other way around actually.
>>
>>16275667
Yes! I love it. I don't know why it seems like people get their Masters or PhD and then just stop...

I'm in a career where I constantly see STEM professionals and their resumes (due to being put on hiring boards), and so many just stop in their education. I understand it doesn't necessarily 'earn' you more, but it's just odd to me. I don't understand how you can be in the field and not want to continue expanding your knowledge (obviously you can learn without courses, but it's clear these professionals get into basically ruts and it's disappointing).
>>
>>16276863
>I don't know why it seems like people get their Masters or PhD and then just stop

If I had infinite time and energy then yeah sure but if I'm working a full time job, trying to keep fit and have a social life there's not much left over. And to be honest it's useless anyway, when push comes to shove work at a certain level is 99% either ultra-specific shit that isn't worth reading a textbook for or email and excel-tier ultra-generic shit you just grind through. By the time I come across a situation where that knowledge was needed I've forgotten it.

I consider university to be a huge waste of time, and the drive to hang around a school environment for the rest of your existence as indicating you missed some part of development.
>>
>>16276887
>>16276863

Also, that continued learning isn't rewarded. You'll just lock yourself more tightly into being the retard in the basement while some "good guy" with 10% of your knowledge gets promoted. Whatever enjoyment I got out of my field was long gone by the time I finished my PhD, so the only reason to continue developing there is professional. The only things I'd care to learn about are not related to my field, but the last thing I want to do there is enrolling into a university once I spent a decade getting out of one.
>>
I just bombed an interview because I came off as narcissistic rather than being confident. I made sure to talk competently and paced myself during the technical interview. Judging from the live feedback I got I did really well but I guess my confidence rubbed them the wrong way. How do you make yourself seem competent without coming off too strongly?
>>
>>16266920
What's the typical entry point for a quant researcher? Looking online, I see both PhD and undergrad roles.
I assumed undergrad was a no-go unless you're some kind of genius.
I've got a first class masters in physics and worked for a few years in tech-adjacent roles, what do my odds look like? Is it too late at 28?
What are the top shops?
>>
>>16276971
They hire from target schools. Finance want academic prestige for some reason.
>>
>>16276964
I don't know. I have the opposite problem.
>>
>>16273048
post resume
>>
>>16276971
It’s fine in principle but in reality you’re at a disadvantage for research roles without a PhD. This is because obviously PhDs have experience with research and you don’t and it’s nontrivial to transition into research. My own place has only one researcher who doesn’t have a PhD.
Realistically, the tests are just typical maths, statistics, linear algebra, but with research roles unlike trading you’ll get asked a lot more open ended stuff where it’s expected you might not be able to completely solve it on your own. Undergrads typically fail badly at this so this is why we tend not to hire them so much.
>>16277007
Not true for most places
t. Actually got a QR role after PhD. Nobody cares about where the degree was from.
>>
>>16276971
>>16277018
Sorry didn’t see you have experience. If your experience is research related you should be fine. If not, then yeah. I’ve been hearing some places actually don’t even bother hiring undergrads anymore and they either require a PhD or research experience for a researcher role because their last batches of undergrads sucked so much.
The reason for this is that most research roles are going to require you to know whatever models you’re working with inside out, and in a lot of cases what you’re doing will be like someone coming to you with a very broad problem relating to “how can we do X more effectively” or maybe “how can we solve problem X in principle” (and you’ll leave the production code to the programmers) and this just isn’t accessible to you 99% of the time if it’s your first serious research project.
What happens is that you almost always fail, so you need to know how to handle a long series of failures and improve on them, which is a skill you develop by doing research. But if you can’t, then you’re essentially being paid to burn everyone else’s money.
Basically, apply if you have serious experience, and if you don’t, I don’t think that’s the job for you. Age is irrelevant and so is everything else you worried about.
>>
File: AIKA_CIMG5157.jpg (848 KB, 1860x3779)
848 KB
848 KB JPG
>day 193 of unemployment
Getting a math phd was a huge mistake
>>
>>16277022
Rather you are a dumb anime faggot.
>>
>>16277029
I haven't posted a single anime picture itt. And yes, I unironically bring up anime in job interviews when they ask me about my hobbies.
>>
>>16276964
>How do you make yourself seem competent without coming off too strongly?
Just make sure you ask a few good questions.
>>
>>16277035
>And yes, I unironically bring up anime in job interviews when they ask me about my hobbies.
Why not rather call it language and cultural studies? And I hope you don't use the word "unironically" in interviews.
>>
>>16277035
>And yes, I unironically bring up anime in job interviews when they ask me about my hobbies.
you're joking right? RIGHT?
>>
>>16277035
There we have it folks. Why a math phd is unemployed. Jesus fucking christ. Just apply a god damn filter and say "I watch icehockey when my country is playing" like the fucking turnip you are.
>>
>>16277045
>you're joking right? RIGHT?
yes
>>
>>16277021
Clear. I guess the next question is, how do I go about getting research experience if I'm outside of the industry?
I read that trying to implement algorithms from research papers is a good start but wondered what you thought. Thanks anon
>>
>>16277035
You apply for jobs in SAAB and Volvo and Försvarsmakten and you expect them to take you seriously after mentioning that you're some sort of anime-lover? Fucking lmao
>>
>>16277045
He said "unironically" so he's not joking
>>
How's the job market for SoC designers?
>>
>>16277185
>HELLO I WANT TO DEVELOP HIGH POWERED WEAPONSYSTEMS
>-UWU- OHNEGAI SHIMASU!!!111
>>
>>16277095
that could be a good idea, basically anything that demonstrates competence, especially with statistical algorithms, is good
if you've worked in tech dev roles might be an option, alternatively there are places that don't care much about what degree you have in research roles (although, accordingly, I hear that the researchers at those places do slightly less ambitious work)
>>
Consultancies remain a blood bath:
https://archive.is/QMK1H
>The latest pay round at PwC highlights how some of the Britain’s biggest professional services firms are restricting pay rises after UK inflation fell back to 2 per cent in recent months having soared above 11 per cent at the end of 2022. It also shows a stark divide within the City of London, where law firms are still aggressively hiking pay for junior lawyers.
>>
>>16277035
>self filtering this hard

Holy moly guacamoly
>>
>>16277254
consulting is cyclical
>>
File: 71DK5-uz5XL._AC_SL1280_.jpg (168 KB, 998x1269)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>16277216
this but unironically
>>
>>16271050
How are you holding up ?
>>
>>16277254
>>16277605
aren't lawyers and consultants the same thing?
they're both business type people. They're usually not engineers.
>>
>>16277722
>aren't lawyers and consultants the same thing?
You could say they are legal consultants but that is normally not how they are described. Same with auditors. Then you have management consultants (MBB and Big Four), which have a rather diverse educational background. Finally you have patent attorneys who are nearly always people with a science of engineering degree.
>they're both business type people.
Lawyers doing mergers and acquisitions (M&A) know business, but most lawyers do not.
>They're usually not engineers.
Management consultants and patent attorneys often are, though MBB often hires people with degrees in law, political science, military related degrees, just about anything as long as it is a solid degree. Except from these days that management consulting is down in the dumps.
>>
I want to do quant research but I'm a lowly experimental astrophysicist instead of a theory whiz. I have no chance right?
>>
>>16277864
you can if you apply all over the planet.
some place might hire you I think.
but I'm not an expert in this. it's really annoying how some careers are impossible in some cases, even if you drop your standards to the absolute floor, even then nobody will hire you or train you in that field.

but surely some place in the corner of some financial district will offer you this position
>>
>>16277864
What level of math do you work with daily? Programming skills/level?
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (45 KB, 640x427)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>BS in Math
>110k starting
It actually happened. I can't fucking believe it. I just did the whole firm handshake thing and spoke confidently and authoritatively on bullshit I was making up, like I've done on 4chan for years. Thank you bros.
Still have to leverage my position and find a way to get paid salary, while working on some project alongside a university and push for an industry sponsored PhD. It seems like complete fantasy bullshit but I'm in such a high right now that it seems probable.
>>
>>16273564
I studied for 10 hours a week, and wasted the rest sleeping, going to the gym and consuming media. Always got good grades (A or B) but I regret it because the undergrad years are a black hole in my memory. Did computer engineering.
>>
>>16271752
this
>t. I'm a hiring manager for STEM
It's pretty easy to tell when your shotgunning applications without really considering your audience.

Also, pretty easy to see "white lies" and it's pretty bad when you get caught in them.
>>
>>16278053
How do I make better white lies?
>>
>>16277864
Wrong, you’re at an advantage
Astrophysics is a great background
>>
Where do I go to find quality information on what STEM jobs are actually like and how to reliably get one?
Random internet searches just give nothing but conflicting information. It's simultaneously the best thing to study and the worst thing to study and everyone is hiring and no one is hiring.
>>
>>
>>16278346
I cringed.
>>
>>16278053
Waddaya mean white lies
>>
Pursuing a career in STEM has made me seriously mentally unwell.
>>
File: 1720593256371868.jpg (71 KB, 680x680)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>16272512
>>16272323
>I honestly don't think there's a difference in the education.
There isn't. This can be easily verified by looking at MIT OCW lecture recordings or comparing the syllabi between different schools. Schools become successful by winning grant money, not providing quality undergraduate education.
>>
>>16278309
Tried LinkedIn?
>>
>>16278572
While I agree with the undergraduate assessment here, it absolutely matters at the graduate level and the disparity is massive.
>>
My salary is pathetic.
>>
>>16278394
>I wrote a hello world program in Python
>I can program in Python
>>
>>16277887
Not a ton, I consider myself a good programmer, but a lot of what I do is just data analysis not like coming up with new theories
>>
My salary...
>>
>>16279023
>i can prompt an AI
>I am proficient in every programming language
>>
I graduated a year ago and been flipping burgers ever since. Should I include this work experience into my CV?
>>
>>16280791
>drinking the koolaid
nothing will happen
>>
File: 0b00be09_540_opt.gif (3.99 MB, 540x380)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB GIF
>>16266920
>primodrial

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.