[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ranked fasting methods.jpg (891 KB, 862x3832)
891 KB
891 KB JPG
"Dietmaxxing" edition

Previous Thread: >>16279439

This thread exists to ask questions regarding careers associated to STEM.
>Discussion on academia-based career progression
>Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
>Or anything in relation to STEM employment or development within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

Information resource:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The Chad author is seeking additional input to diversify the content into containing all STEM fields. Said author regularly views these /scg/ threads.

No anons have answered your question? Perhaps try posting it here:
>https://academia.stackexchange.com/

An archive of some of the previous editions of /scg/:
>https://warosu.org/sci/thread/15740454
>>
How do I go about networking as an ugly male? I know it's important and all if you want a job after getting a graduate degree but how does one actually do it?
>>
>>16298926
Don't be ugly, ugly people have way worse life outcomes and career earnings. It might be worth getting surgery.
>>
>>16299062
The STEM field is filled with ugly dudes though. I was thinking about networking with other ugly dudes and seeing if we can work together.
Oh what am I staying, they'll screw me over for a chance to work with a female.
>>
>>16298780
I work in the power industry, good luck getting hired right now, we just laid off 1000 workers.
High interest rates do major damage to companies that are involved in capital-intensive work like building transmission lines and substations.
>>
>>16299538
That's because status-striving and being a beta provider are 2 of the only viable reproductive strategies for a guy if they are ugly. Unfortunately the economic and social environment has made even these largely non-viable. If you're in the West at this point you kind of just have to accept that you are in a massive satanic death cult and probably won't reproduce or have meaningful relationships.
>>
File: pb.png (350 KB, 680x622)
350 KB
350 KB PNG
>>16298920
Just kill yourself and you will never have to suffer any medical condition.
>>
>>16299608
Suicidemaxxing
>>
>>16299565
Not him but that's brutal. I though those types of work will always have job security, because everyone uses the lights.
>>
>>16298926
I just apply for jobs. Networking is retarded bullshit for business studies undergraduates, self-employed people and client-based jobs, not salaried professionals.
>>
>>16299565
That's brutal. Thanks for the heads-up. I guess I have just to hold it together and build up resume (getting that sweet PE) and jump to another smaller company on the power industry.

>>16299694
Not necessarily. Job security is just a meme and cope for those that are just overwhelmed with work and have enough competency to make the wheel keep turning. I prefer to use the job to build financial independence and then focus on doing jobs that I like and want without worrying about pleasing company politics and dependency from a paycheck.
>>
>>16299538
If you want to be a backroom goblin sure, I paid to have an asymmetry on my face fixed and my success with both girls and jobs doubled literally overnight I was stunned.
>>
>>16299129
I got a job here due to personal situations (ex-wife fucked me over to the next Sunday).
>>
>>16299727
>Networking is retarded bullshit
Getting a job is all about knowing the right people here in the 21st century. Applying for online job postings and getting a job has very low chances and requires filing dozens if not hundreds of applications. I'd rather skip all that.
>>
How do you tell whether your advisor is onto something or out of touch with reality when a lot of time passed and no promising results yet? We are trying to model occurence of certsin class of genomic sequences based on "important factors" that my advisor chose based on "reading thousands of papers". I did Chi2 and crammer's V with Cohen omega and 3 out of 5 factors don't account for noticeable difference. Another member of the group did logistic regression ML, and decission tree ML which got roughly the same results. According to the advisor data is solid and chosen factors are important, and it's only a matter of proper quantification. Besides this work is good, but I'm not sure whether this thing is not becoming his autistic imaginary magnum opus. wdid?
>>
>>16299694
The utility industry is heavily regulated by the government which means there is an imposed ceiling on profitability. Yes everyone needs electricity but the government limits how much you're allowed to profit from it.
>>
>>16299835
You need to tell him that the research is yielding no results. If he disagrees ask him where in his thousands of papers does he think that the research is a good idea.
>>
>>16299759
>That's brutal. Thanks for the heads-up. I guess I have just to hold it together and build up resume (getting that sweet PE) and jump to another smaller company on the power industry.
Whatever you do, do not fucking quit in this environment until you have another job lined up.
(And by lined up I mean you are scheduled to start the same day you quit the previous one)
>>
Well that’s the last time I do acid.
>>
>>16299835
Whether unwillingness to give up is admirable perseverance or foolhardy stubbornness depends largely on what the outcome is. Be that as it may, as a student you have limited time to produce the output needed for the next step of your career, and can't wager it all on an uncertain outcome.

I don't know if you're an undergrad or a PhD student. If the latter, you'll need multiple projects for your thesis anyway, so I'd advice trying to steer those as much as you can into something that's maybe less bombastic but safer. You'll probably still have to be involved in your advisor's goose chase, but maybe that doesn't have to be the everything you do. If you're an undergrad, it's understood that you have limited agency and honestly it doesn't matter all that much if the overall project has limited success.

In either case, do your work as well and rigorously as you are able, take ownership of some slice of the project that you will ensure is as solid as you can make it. That way, even if the big overall claim turns out to be fairy dust you can still present something you've done without too much embarassment. Science is full of conmen and snake oil, but the good ones recognize and appreciate individuals doing their best to be thorough and transparent.

I'm guessing that, had the outcome of your analysis been different, your advisor would have concluded it to be "proper quantification". I don't know the specific situation or even the general field, but it sounds like bad science. If so, don't stick around longer than you have to.
>>
>>16299874
I will. I learnt that lesson the hard way, hence why I'm on this shitty sweatshop job of manufacturing Switchboards and Switchgears (and cringing at every bullshit they pull over here)
>>
>still unemployed
fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>16300215
I used to work there as a molecular biologist and cell culturist during my undergrad days, while other members of the team focused on bioinformatics. On the last year my advisor fell out with the department/lab head and had to switch too purely computational/data science research. I got a recomendation from them and did my BSc in a year doing CRISPR on yeast. I made strains with different gene knockouts and measured the complementation of growth defect achieved by introducing human analog proteins into yeast genome (the idea was that native gene expression control would lead to better complementation than if I just introduced plasmid vectors with artificially high expression inducing promoters). It didn't work but we ended up discovering that in different strains of yeast a different paralog of certain gene is dominant (accounts for more of the defect). Previously it was known that Tom71 dominates over Tom70, but now we know that Tom70 dominates over Tom71 in some strains, which is new. I'm in EU hence I have to do MSc before Phd, and I'm switching over to bioinformatics and computational biology since lab-biology graduate curriculum is bad. I was preocuppied with my thesis defense, but now that I'm back into the project I once again started doubting our methods and results. I mean, we published 0 papers since 2021, and the one we're working on right now isn't finished after 8 months of writing/editing/discussing and the work is not even finished. Certain parts of the genome can remove themselves from chromosomes and form a loop/circle (DNA strand with connected ends), there are certain factors that seem to correlate with its formation, but experiments are expensive and results are muddy because isolation and sequencing introduces a lot of noise and uncertainty. You essentially have to estimate how likely is it that your reads are from those loops/circles rather than noise.
>>
>>16300463
If anyone in the field found a way to "guess" with reasonable accuracy which parts of the genome are likel to "loop out", we could desing large scale precise experiments and finaly get data without noise. Yeah, we all know that Max Perutz spent 20 years solving the structure of a single protein, and Sanger didn't publish that much between his 2nd and 1st nobel prize, but I'm periodically doubting this whole project, the leadership, our focus, or even feasibility of this work. I'm also not exactly the best guy for this kind of thing. I spent a lot of my undergrad days in the lab working on cell cultures and typical molecular DNA work. Many professors treat undegrads sort of like babies and give them only unimportant tasks, my advisor didn't (to the extreme) and gave me all of the important tasks and expected the highest possible independence. I think I got the most 'real deal' experience compared to other undergrads and BSc grads. But I can't say the same for computational biology and bioinformatics. I like it and I'm good at it but I never done it as extensively as experimental work. I'd have to study quite a bit before I can offer valuable insights. After thesis denense I got more time and started doubting our work. I did my calculations and the effect size of changing one factor seems to be negligible. But my advisor firmly reasures that the factors are good and the data we have is good, we just have to quantify. The models we tried so far are more or less in line with my calculations — changing one factor doesn't change much, changing multiple factors does more but not much more. The worst combination of factors yields 30% chance, the best — 35%, at that point you're better of blindly guessing and hoping for the best. I hoped I'd publish anything before the end of my BSc, but I'm not sure at that pace I'll publish anything before PhD, which I might not even qualify for due to "lack of published research".
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (9 KB, 250x201)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
It's been almost 8 years since I dropped out of college from a chemistry program after earning my associates in general science (just general electives with o-chem from community college), and I'm feeling the itch to go back and complete my bachelors degree. I barely passed Calc 1 and I was filtered by Calc 2, I just didn't have the fundamentals down or the discipline to power through it. After spending those 8 years drifting from job to job, I landed a career with wastewater treatment and became a certified operator. I now have the desire to become an engineer, but I don't know which type would be the best fit to major in. I believe I would be best suited for a mechanical engineer role. Regardless, I want to brush up and master the basics of algebra and pre-calculus again before I commit to putting cash down for classes. Or should I just take a class or two and figure it out from there?
>>
>>16300500
Pretty sure civil engineering is the way to go for wastewater, not mechanical
>>
Did I fuck myself over when i chose physics over cs + stats
>>
>>16300500
Good on you from ditching chemistry, its job prospects are pretty brutal and you would've have to go to graduate school for a chance of employment.
>I want to brush up and master the basics of algebra and pre-calculus
Professor Leonard's lectures on YouTube are a good resource for people who struggle. He has a semester's worth of playlists in algebra.
>>
>>16300780
Yes but you can still salvage it. Doing a PhD in semiconductors for instance.
>>
>>16300780
Yes pure math/physics retards are no longer desired in the job market now
>>
>>16300500
How much do you make doing that? If you have a good salary and career progression I wouldn't bother with college at this point. You have to realize it's a huge cost of time and money.
>>
>>16300669
I'm not exactly which type of engineering I would best enjoy, civil sounds interesting, but I'm committed to improving my math skills as best I can and take them as far as I can go.
>>16300861
In hindsight, thank God I dropped out before I had too much debt only to enter a brutal job market for chemistry.
>Professor Leonard's lectures on YouTube are a good resource for people who struggle.
Thank you for the recommendation, fren. I've also picked up a few books from The Math Sorcerer that he recommends from Algebra and Geometry / Trig and all the way through Calculus.
>>
>>16301911
I make 50k a year in a HCOL blue state, but I can leave for another plant and make a comfortable wage. The work is pretty relaxed and low stress, but I've been craving a bigger challenge than the work I currently have. I've been overcome with a desire to build, create, and learn as much as I can to do that. On top of that, living in a blue, gun-restricted state is beyond shit, so I've been planning a move to a red state as well.
>>
>>16298926
Whereever you go or work, try to connect up on LinkedIn. There you can communicate confidently without being seen. Just select a reasonably close but inoffensive picture.

That is what I did and it worked for me.
>>
Hard times still:
>Bosses regain the upper hand in hiring
https://archive.is/34YY3
>In uncertain times, British managers are searching for a sure thing. To bring on a new hire two years ago, bosses interviewed three candidates before making an appointment, according to recruiter Hays. Now it’s about seven. Others say it can go well above 10.
>“Confidence in the market is just not there,” said Dirk Hahn, Hays’s chief executive. “Clients are more selective and if they want to hire, they want to find exactly the right person. The process is taking much longer.”

>In the current market, employers “have the upper hand”, said Lucas Shaw, who advises companies on how to improve their hiring practices. He had recently heard of a 43-stage process for a chief technology officer for a major corporation. Making the wrong hire is costly and time-consuming, so “they all want to reduce risk”, he added.
>Shaw himself recently had five interviews for a job at a management consultancy that included delivering a strategy report. The company ended up hiring another candidate for a lower salary while taking his ideas for free. Being burnt in this way is also why he says candidates are nervous and some are so disgruntled that they are pulling out of these processes midway.

The pendulum always returns. My memory of being tricked never fades.

t.Count of Montecristo
>>
>>16300463
>>16300465
loved the in-depth peroration for us laypeople, but please use paragraphs next time, genefriend.
>>
>>16302693
> the devil wants me to use leddit spacing
not this time schlomo
>>
I got a remote interview with Textron tomorrow
I don't feel ready at all I think I'll get absolutely cooked
>>
I just worked for a year in asia and I just got back and I just realized I didn't even download tinder or even try to do bwc stuff. I just stayed in my apartment playing video games all night and smoking on my balcony.
>>
>>16300780
No, but as the FAQ states, you need a PhD with your Physics degree. And as >>16301337 points out, semiconductors as a field is safe. There will be a lot of new fab work and lines coming up and that will require a lot of skilled people.

>>16301685
Temporary headwind in the job market is nothing new. It always gets better.
>>
Are there any FFRDCs in the US that do particularly interesting hardware or embedded systems work? I know that MITLL and NASA JPL both do some interesting radar/RF FPGA systems work, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with some other FFRDCs, particularly Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, CMU Software Engineering Institute, and (while not a national lab) Draper Labs.
>>
I just want to give up, I'm so tired.
>>
>>16302826
What asian country?
>>
>>16302970
Hang on in there, anon, remember it is darkest before dawn.
>>
anyone in neuroscience? what's your experience so far?
>>
>>16302927
Should I take up a second major or a specific specialization?
>>
>>16303223
Do you already have a PhD?
>>
>>16298920
Any controls engineers in this bread? Finishing my MS in MechEng and I’ve enjoyed controls & convex classes, but it seems like I would need to do a PhD to work in controls. I know there are technicians who tune PIDs, but they usually don’t have college degrees. Wtf else can I even do with a MSME, besides a PhD or becoming a CAD technician?

I’m American if that matters.
>>
Im a professional in Nuclear Operations and i just pre-enrolled into Peterson's academy- i'm not going to put it on my resume ; however i hope its somewhat informative.

I hardly have time to do it but thankfully its self paced. I wonder if any of y'all have seen this and what you think about it ?
>>
I humbly ask you all for feedback on an idea of mine.

I've completed a Math&CS BSc (EU).
I was a codeprimate before, and remain one.

My BSc's curriculum was decent - Calc I and II, babby's first probabilities, basic Algebra all the way up to Galois Theory, an introduction to linear algebra and applications, basic geometry, a fair bit of number theory and discrete math, and a solid logic and formal languages core - we were taken up to the threshold of model theory in logic, and staple complexity classes in computability.
Furthermore, the usual practical aspects were also present, with introductions to: compilers, operating systems, concurrency and parallelism, quantum computing, formal methods, PL semantics, networking.

I am unsure about the field I want an MSc in - perhaps distributed systems, applied cryptography, maybe quantum (I know I'd be unemployable without a PhD, it'd be out of personal interest).

Is it a waste of time to enroll in a local university, while I work, to fill some gaps in essential knowledge?
Differential equations leading into PDEs and ODEs, Fourier and complex analysis, topology and measure theory - can't hurt to know these, right? Even if my MSc goes elsewhere.
>>
Shit, /sci/ I don't know what to do here. Last semester, I transferred from CC as an engineering student with a perfect GPA. But, across the board my grades started to drop quite bad dude to quite bad burnout. Almost failed an engineering course and had to drop it. The problem is that the courses only have two attempts. The fatigue is so intense, and I know that if I got some rest, I'd be able to do better. I'm worried that if I try to go beyond my limits I won't be able to pass it the second time and get kicked out of my major. I've been debating between taking a semester off and not. I managed to secure an internship, and there's a chance that they may be able to extend it to the fall. In this internship, I've discovered that I love what I am doing, and there's no way that I could possibly do anything else. My main concern about the gap semester is possibly having my knowledge stagnate or possibly not coming back. However, if I managed to stick around in the internship for the fall, it'd keep me accountable because I'm surrounded by other engineers who are reminding me about school and being motivated by the real-world work I am doing. Any thoughts?
>>
>>16298920
I have a question about math aptitude. How would I go about re-learning math after being out of highschool for around 12 years; where would I start? Also, how would I know how high I could go before my brain would be incapable of understanding the concepts?
I was decent at algebra I and geometry, but I barely passed algebra II and failed pre-calculus.
I hope it's okay with you guys if I ask this here in your thread.

>>16300861
I will also check that out.
>>
If you upload your resume on indeed in rich text format will it be all fucked up? I'm not paying for Microsoft Office, fuck Microsoft.
>>
>>16304031
Nobody cares about your grades after you have an internship. Just try to get C’s in your classes and get a good reference from your boss.
>>
>>16303769
Uhh you go take the FE and PE exams and go work for a design firm
>>
>>16303769
>CAD technician
This basically. Have fun.
>>
>day 213 of unemployment
Getting a Math PhD was a huge mistake. How do I fix it? I am considering doing an online M.Sc.
>>
How good is this program? As a math PhD, I think it looks decent.
>>
>>16301685
Why? because they can actually do the job better than all the other cookie cutter degree retards?
>>
I think that it's safe to say that pursuing a career in science has ruined my life. I am being persecuted by forces beyond my comprehension, and all I ever did was try to fill a need society told me it had.
>>
>>16304772
The economy simply doesn't need that many people who need to be trained how to be software engineers on the job. It certainly doesn't need that many physicists or mathematicians.
>>
>>16303700
No I'm an undergrad now
>>
Can I get some real ass advice on how to fix my fucking career?
>>
>>16304776
But are you employed?
>>
>>16304772
The economy doesn't care about being le smart, most people aren't solving any new problems in science or innovating anything. Just get your cookie cutter degree and follow the same pre-determined path as everyone else. Our society has moved away from a knowledge-based economy.
>>
I unironically just shit my pants while walking to class. I felt it coming and made a detour for the nearest building but didn’t even come close to making it. Fucking breakfast burritos (grande)
>>
>>16304882
>The economy doesn't care about being le smart, most people aren't solving any new problems in science or innovating anything
I wish I were told this back in undergrad
>>
>>16304776
That’s hi-LAAAAAAH-ri-ooooousssssssss >nasal vocal fry perfectly attenuates into silence like the last note of a symphony
>>
>>16304887
>I wish I were told this back in undergrad
Are you in a different field from your undergrad?
>>
>>16304036
>failed pre-calculus.
Just get a good book and do every exercise. If you know programming, you might want to get one of those newer ones that integrates dynamical math programs like Geogebra and python programming.
>>
>>16304908
No, but I would have had time to switch to CS.
>>
>>16304915
Let me guess you were a math major.
>>
>>16304685
Well, hello there old friend.
You have gotten tons of suggestions, how are those progressing?
>>
>>16304967
Not great desu. Just keep applying (tm) doesn't seem to work. I need more credentials.
>>
>>16304878
No I'm too busy feeling bad for myself and being gangstalked
>>
>>16304925
It's honestly a hilarious jokers trick they play on smart young men (let's be real women don't have these problems)
>>
You guys ever work as an engineer for a uni before? I'm looking at listings and a lot have basic or even entry level requirements. Do they generally just try to take their own grads or consider people from out of state?
>>
>>16304911
>Just get a good book and do every exercise
That makes a ton of sense kek. Thank you
>>
Not starving or anything but I've worked my ass off at every turn since high school (that was ten years ago), doing science at the highest level and what do I have to show for it? A 9-5 with a 50k salary and basically no savings. It's not even an academic job. I'll never own a house or even a nice flat, never retire, I can't afford a car and certainly not a family.

If it's going to be grinding in a shitty flat alone, having to shop at discount stores and cycling to work until dying on the street, what even was the point.

Doubles and I buy rope.
>>
Could use some thoughts fellas-
>Recently graduated with a CS PhD
>Got fucked on my research, one project was a hand-me-down from a graduating student that was a burning dumpster fire, another project had to be salvaged after discovering the work it built on was faked
>COVID / market meltdown lead to no internships
>Job market is still on fire (looking to do industry)
and the big kicker-
>White male
What's the play, just do private projects and keep spamming applications? Thankfully in a position where I've found easy going hold over work so I can maintain things for awhile, but the outlook isn't looking great
>>
>>16305109
>just do private projects and keep spamming applications
I don't think projects really matter anymore since the indian+GPT flood made everyone have full githubs.
>>
>>16305129
Any thoughts on useful things to do?
>>
>>16305134
No idea, internships are basically required now, that's the signal to employers you know something.
>>
>>16304781
The problem really just comes back to greed. There's literally no reason companies can't hire and train smart people and at least give them some semblance of loyalty. The problem is they just want everybody to be plug and play and underpay them as much as possible. I get that, that's "the way it is" but I think this is honestly at large is one of the major reasons finding a job is so terrible/awful today and why it's especially bad for younger generations.

>>16304882
There are still jobs in the private sector that are innovating or producing research. Yes it's not the vast majority of them, but they do exist. I don't know what we've moved onto, but what we're moving towards doesn't look sustainable in the long run to me.
>>
>>16305074
Same situation except I turned into a tranny too. Shit is fucked.
>>
Do all of the /scg/ threads have posts like these? >>16305074
>>
>>16304187
You've missed the point, anon. It wasn't about getting the best grades, it was about being able to pass the class at all so I don't get kicked out of my major.
>>
>>16305109
>>16305134
>What's the play, just do private projects and keep spamming applications?
Depends, brother.

>>16305135 is right - for now, just focus on getting some experience - bigger roles await, but only after that.

FAANGs have specific internship positions for PhDs, and depending on your subfield you may be in intense demand - machine learning, cloud computing, distributed systems, formal methods. Consider looking at e.g. Microsoft Research for openings.

I apologize beforehand for even suggesting this, but if your research was on the more practical side of the spectrum (e.g. applied cryptography), you can also consider a role in """Web3""".
Web3 is unbelievably bad and (at LEAST) one of the 4 horsemen (my opinion), but the requirements in technical skill are real, and so is the MASSIVE flood of money that VCs are pumping into startups to pay for top-tier talent like you, all for a shot at the next big thing that'll show the world why 1984 was dysphemistic to the extreme.

Off the top of my head, Aztec Networks only considers PhDs for internships, and some of their "Senior" roles require a PhD over experience; here you go: https://job-boards.eu.greenhouse.io/aztec/jobs/4098527101

Don't waste too much time here. Get your exp., and move on to serious, legitimate industries.
>>
So if CS is has become a rat race, where are the actual careers in STEM?

I love studying STEM, but was "careers in STEM" just a meme?
>>
>>16305256
Much appreciated man, the advice is appreciated and I'll give this a look.
>>
>>16305276
Careers in stem were a side effect of the cold war, and the people advising you to get one didn't update their model of the world. Sorry man.
>>
>>16305191
Basically. Job hunting can be pretty soul-crushing. I think STEM has a fairly high number people who are very smart and work very hard and get nowhere. Usually it's their own fault.

By virtue of being anonymous, 4chan is a pretty good place to vent.
>>
>>16305624
In my case it's the fault of girl bullies
>>
>>16305191
Yes, and increasingly so as we are entering even harder times.

>>16305624
>I think STEM has a fairly high number people who are very smart and work very hard and get nowhere.
Probably true
>Usually it's their own fault.
Could be, but this is not something STEM people recognize. In STEM, we are trained to look at reality as objectively as we can, no matter how ugly the truth may be. In the job market, decisions are usually taken by non-STEM people who make decisions based on emotions far removed from any facts.
That gives us crass examples such as people deciding to launch Space shuttles while experts warn, see the shuttles explode, killing a dozen or so astronauts, wrecking government properties worth billions - and yet face exactly zero personal consequences.

STEM people should read more about organizational theory to see just how crazy the world truly is.
>>
>>16305256
>Web3
It isn't 2021 anymore.
>>
>>16305256
>A passion for blockchain, its potential, and what we’re trying to achieve.
lmao.
>>
I want to get an online MS in Data Science. Please advise me against this.
>>
>>16305749
I got an IRL PhD as a computational chemist aka a data scientist who knows physics and my first job out of school was at Walmart where I vividly remember lying to the auto care center about graduating from college
>>
>>16305750
Another stemcel turnt...
>>
I have a math PhD in algebra (graded rings and Leavitt path algebras). What kind of further education can make me more employable?
>>
This is probably the wrong place to ask, but what is the best paying online degree I can get
For context, I am in my 40s and finished most pre-reqs you take in university, but now I don't know if I should go for a bachelors in accounting, business or something else

I was told cybersecurity pays a lot, but I see the bachelors for that requires calculus, trig, and other math
I am under the impression that cyber security doesnt even require that much math in real world settings
Any honest guidance would be appreciated
>>
>>16305775
An accountancy certification
>>
My supervisor doesn't want to bother with rebuttals for our paper that I almost killed myself finishing and I just got automatically rejected from two internships.

Just another fucked up day in my freakazoid stemcel life.
>>
I am the most victimised person on earth. Every system and institution that ought to be on my side or helpful to me actually harms me.
>>
>>16305743
>It isn't 2021 anymore.
You're right, but as long as VCs' money keeps flowing in, pay will remain quite competitive.
>>16305744
>>A passion for blockchain, its potential, and what we’re trying to achieve.
:joy:

I get both of your points - I expressed sincere disapproval of Web3 in my post.
Notice that the original anon was just looking for input on how to get to better positions - like I said, Web3 is toxic; however, you'll get to level up *some* neat skills and experience that you can then leverage for a better opportunity elsewhere, *while* getting paid decently.
>>
What specialization/second major should I take so that I don't become homeless when I graduate from a physics major?
>>
>>16305845
Specialise in having rich parents or friends
>>
I'm working in power which is the least prestigious place for STEM, everyone thinks you are a moron boomer. How do I get my PhD in physics so that I can finally have sex?
>>
>>16305780
>calculus, trig, and other math
Imagine being a grown ass man in your 40s and still afraid of calculus.
>>
>>16305895
Thank you for the advice
>>
>>16305048
At my previous university, Research Engineer meant "Temp. Teacher/Lecturer". Turns out there was too much bureaucracy to hire people they liked as Professor so they was forced to hire them as Research Engineers instead. A lot of talented people ended up on 1-year rolling contracts in a "non-teaching role" while doing close to 100% teaching!
>>
>>16305906
He was a bit rude but his point stands. Calculus is considered a basic class in STEM. Asking in a STEM career thread what kind of degree you can get while avoiding Calculus is a really odd question. There's no reason to be afraid of Calculus in 2024 there is plenty of help out there for you to understand it, literally thousands of hours of free tutoring in the form of youtube videos.
>>
>>16305963
It's why I started with "this is probably the wrong place to ask", but it is difficult to get an answer from anyone with experience on say /g/. If I was great at math I'd be studying to be an engineer or something better. I am old and want a degree with the best financial outcome.
I'm not really interested in an accounting or business degree, but I can't go to a physical school to study nursing because of a job I have.
From what I understand, a lot of the tech experts who are into cyber security, they say a bachelors in it is useless, I really have no idea and thought this thread would be a good option to give me some actual insight
I am just an old man who is about to finish his AA and need an online bachelors that can provide me with the best financial outcome
>>
>>16306002
I am an unemployed math professor who have been teaching engineering students. I have seen quite a few 40+ mature students succeed in engineering and software development programs. It is entirely possible, with a sufficient time commitment.

I am not really sure about the job market for cyber security. It feels like a total meme.

Another possibility is teaching. I assume you have some kind of blue-collar background? Vocational teaching might be something to consider. Any kind of teaching program will require a practical placement, however. Even so, it turns out that even upper-secondary teaching positions are competitive in this job market.
>>
>>16305908
Thanks for your insight anon, I'm just a guys with a bachelors so that's less what I'm talking about, the "research engineers" I'm after are more actual engineering positions I figure, the descriptions are usually pretty in depth and they talk about one specific thing they need you to do (i.e. cad a robot arm or run sensors for the agri/bio department).
>>
anon ... physics PhDs have the least sex of anyone
>>
>>16305074
rolling for you brother
>>
>>16306020
Unfortunately time is not my friend, I am in my early 40s, and in a bad situation. My background is pretty bad, I have basically hid myself from the world for many years, I was a good student and had awards in school as a kid. It is my own fault, but I am now trying to save my life. If I could go to a physical college atm I would take nursing, I've already done most of the pre-reqs for it, but things changed and my only option now is an online bachelor's
I haven't wanted to mention the online university to not get mocked, but it's liberty university and I am looking for the bachelors that would most profitable for someone my age AKA not a lot of time
>>
>>16306189
What state do you live in?
>>
>>16306189
If you're going to pursue an online masters in cybersex, the one at Georgia tech is probably better than liberty.
>>
>>16306220
He's trying to get a bachelor's degree moron, read the thread.
>>
>>16306222
Don't talk to me like that.
>>
>>16306220
The point still stands that there are other places with a bit more cachet you could do an online cybersec degree at, like Drexel or something.

Have you looked into just doing CompTIA certs and so on?
>>
>>16306231
nta. you should have read it more carefully.
>>
>>16306219
I'm a florida resident, but I am in NW georgia atm as a non resident of the state. I would love to go back but it's expensive and I moved with family here, now I have to leave

>>16306220
Absolutely, but I am not a ga resident so I would have to pay out of state tuition

>>16306246
Absolutely have, which is why I asked if it is even worth getting a bachelor's in cybersecurity. I don't know enough about it to say, my impression is it wouldn't be worth much

I am considering a bachelors in accounting, or business
>>
whats the job market like for someone with a masters in biology (marine)
>>
>>16306516
>masters in biology (marine)
I thought that was a trophy wife degree? I've only ever seen hot girls doing that.
>>
>>16300780
You like medicine? You like radiation? You wanna work with big medical machines that go brrr? Go into medical physics. Medical physicists are insanely in demand right now, and the pay is ridiculous (the 300k starting meme is not a meme in this field; I've seen clinics offering starting salaries in that range). I would HIGHLY recommend shadowing an actual medical physicist first though, since besides the relative obscurity, there are reasons many of those in physics don't go into this field (I personally love it though). Best part is, despite what many on this board will tell you, you don't need a PhD to be successful in this field, but you can still get one if you want. As long as you get into one of the good grad programs and get into a medical residency, a masters will be more than enough to find jobs.
>>
>>16306354
I'm under a lot of pressure at the moment. If your goal was to make a grown man cry by being a mean bully then... Good... You've succeeded...
>>
>>16306364
Of those two accounting is more of a sure thing.
>>
I've been totally defeated in all my ambitions. Who ever decided to tell young me that science was a worthwhile thing to dedicates ones life to is a CRIMINAL
>>
>>16306070
Thankfully, a PhD lasts forever.
>>
>>16306798

when kamala harris makes incelism a felony they'll revoke your PhD
>>
>>16306811
Thankfully, I am not in the US. Seems I should not go there, even if she is unlikely to be elected.
>>
>day 215 of unemployment
Getting a math PhD was a huge mistake
>>
>>16306703
Thank you, kind sir
>>
>>16306912
Tried this one?
https://www.prv.se/sv/om-oss/jobba-hos-oss/
>>
>>16306912
Where are you located? I got a job almost immediately and I dropped out.
>>
>>16307059
Yes
>>16307064
Sweden
>>
>>16305845
A PhD in semiconductors.
>>
>>16305256
>internship positions for PhDs
That's a thing? You do all that work for a PhD and you're still a low-level intern? Brutal.
>>
>>16304698
Purdue Uni is one of the best public unis in the country so this this program is at the very least, decent as you say.
>>
>>16304698
I looked into this program like a year ago. They had pictures of all the MS students on the website. 90% jeets. If that doesn’t give you pause I don’t know what else to say. Also the DS market is so horrendously bad right now (because of the unending torrent of jeets) that if you don’t already have experience in some sort of data role then you’re fucked. Even then you’re probably fucked. It’s not gonna get better until companies realize that jeets are a plague and start only hiring whites/east Asians again.
>>
>>16307144
Companies don't usually see the work you do as a PhD as actual work
>>
>>16307151
I'm starting a PhD program in August and at least a third of the people starting with me are jeets. I found is weird because when I visited the place the people I talked to were white. Those fuckers knew what they were doing. I can already tell I am in for a horrible time.
>>
>>16307154
>Spend years running projects, wrangling team members with no accountability, working on problems no one has solved, creating custom tooling, getting good at communication (both spoken and written), working under extremely high stress, self teaching new skills
>"Oh you just got done with a PhD? Welcome to the real world, it's not going to be like classes kiddo :^) "
I hate business people so much it's unreal
>>
>>16307160
At least at my place they self-segregate and everyone kind of ignores them. They have their own parallel community. Most day to day interactions will be with white and chinese people.
>>
>>16307154
Hiring managers think a PhD is simply a longer version of an undergrad or masters.
>>
>be me
>fresh out of college
>27 because I entered later due to being a neet
>Bachelor in electronics with major on digital electronics and firmware developing
>There's literally only two places in my whole small Mexican city that require firmware engineers
>Most ask for traditional analog electronics engineers
>I suck at analog electronics.
>I get a job at one of the two places, the pay sucks ass but the job is pretty comfy
>The pay sucks real ass
>Interns at other companies get my salary
>Get a job offer for IT support since I did some part time at costumer service as well
>The pay is not just better, is really good for local standards
>I would earn more than my whole family combined
Should I continue working my shitty paying job to get experience as a firmware engineer or accept the good paying job as IT support and do experiments on my own, or even pay a Master Degree to unlock jobs at senior positions in other, bigger cities?

Also, let me say, the one thing it pisses employers off is you being a neet like I was, mostly because getting out of college at 27 instead of 23 might seem insignificant but it closes so many doors is insane.
>>
>>16307167
True. They even self-segregate based on which province or language they speak at home.
>>16307171
>Should I continue working my shitty paying job to get experience as a firmware engineer
Are you willing to move? Especially to a larger city? Try to find out how the state of firmware engineering will be like in the future in Mexico. If it's bad go for the IT support position.
>even pay a Master Degree to unlock jobs at senior positions in other, bigger cities?
Only do that if you decide on staying in the lower paying position that way you can gain experience while saving up to pay for the Masters.
>>
>>16307154
That depends on who in the hiring structure has a PhD.
>>
>>16307179
Certainly not the HR Stacy that reads your CV at first pass.
>>
>>16307178
>Are you willing to move? Especially to a larger city? Try to find out how the state of firmware engineering will be like in the future in Mexico. If it's bad go for the IT support position.
It's complicated, there are positions for Firmware Engineers in Mexico outside my city, but they're mostly asking for senior positions that require Masters and/or 6 years of experience, so the expected age should be early to mid 30s if you got out of college at 23.
Entry jobs outside my city are also badly paid (The pay is better than mine, until you consider living costs of a bigger city and having to pay for my own place, the only reason I can survive with this salary is because I still live with my parents.)
So arguably I would be in a worse situation.

The company I work for is pretty comfy in the R&D department, but administration is a hot mess and greedy fucks, I don't see myself getting salary raise anytime in the next two years.

The other job is IT support, the pay is too good, I could pay for a distance learning masters in embedded design or AI design so I can study and work and at the very least have the degree. Or maybe use the money to make experiments on my own and get my own portfolio.
But it's IT support, is a dead end and you never know if it will last over a year.
>>
>>16307178
>Only do that if you decide on staying in the lower paying position that way you can gain experience while saving up to pay for the Masters.
I'm not saving for a master's on this salary.
Free master's courses, legitimate, not mall universities, legally require you to not have a job.
>>
File: 1691143206130419.jpg (64 KB, 680x523)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>studying in library and it's not going so well
>demotivated and it's extremely hot
>decide to take a break, go home, take a shower and come back
>speak with dad on the phone on my way home, to vent about my stress/studying situation
>have to prevent myself from crying
>arrive home, hop under the fresh shower and unironically cry
>drive back to uni
>it got a bit better
>>
I'll be going to university for math in Germany.
I already self studied some basic math: real analysis, linear algebra, abstract algebra and now im self studying some topology and more algebra.
Im not a young over achiver highschool student, but a, soon to be 26 year old, fuck up in some sense.
Or at the very least I should take life serious right now.
Math wise I want to give it my best shot, but most likely I will not end up in Academia and due to me being relatively old I have to be even more responsible.

Now coming to the actual question:
We have to choose a minor (comp sci, physics, business and more options).
I dont know about the real world and all the different possibilities, what nieche could be worth getting into?
I dont think I want to do very evil things.

Im tutoring on the side, which I enjoy. So If everything fails I can just become a math teacher or get a job at my moms place.
>>
>>16307284
if you dont want to get into academia why the fuck are you majoring in math
>>
File: 1000001497.png (98 KB, 540x726)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>16306070
I have a math Ph.D and lost my virginity at 16, went to three high school proms. Also had multiple dates in my early 20s after my early exposure to women I concluded they are a waste of time unless you really want a family.
>>
>>16307286
Pivoting to become a math teacher is not that hard.

I really enjoy self studying math and historically im bad at forcing myself to do things I dont like. So, given the fact that I already know some math, its not unlikely that I will finish that degree.

I think If I where given the opportunity to permanently stay in Academia, I would take it.
But realistically im competing against many smart, hard working people that maybe also have been doing maths since they have been young.
So I think a Bachelor in math with a minor in something else, seems like a good compromise between having fun, testing the waters and picking up employable skills along the way.
>>
>>16307303
>doing math since they were young
Generally a meme. Most autistic child prodigies don't end up doing any better at research than the average person. It's not about how much math you've seen but how creative and diligent you are. You can call it cope, but I've witnessed this many times.
>>
>>16307301
>After my early exposure to women I concluded they are a waste of time unless you really want a family
Everyone heed this man's advice, unless you're looking to have kids it's not worth it. 9 out of 10 of them will simply drain your energy, the short term gratification is not worth the headache.
>>
My master's program in chemical engineering has been absolutely dreadful. I started it part-time while working full time and raising a kid and I'm so done with it bros. My professors refuse to give me any sort of a break and keep docking me for the stupidest stuff on tests and assignments, plus the fact that none of the homework actually match the exams in terms of what we're being asked to perform. I graduated with a 3.92 in my undergrad without ever feeling like I was being torn apart but now I'm scraping by with a 3.2. Is this how it's supposed to be? Am I just supposed to chug through for the pay raise or is it not going to be worth the mental load?
>>
>>16307307
I have two semesters (3 classes total) and a project BTW. School was fun when I could focus on it full time while working part time but I don't know if the opposite works.
>>
>>16307304
There's a difference between autistic maths prodigies and kids whose parents are clued in and get them doing like IMO and other enriching activities early.

When I was growing up I didn't even know that was a thing, didn't know anything about academia, etc etc. it makes a big difference if your parents are clued in. Not in maths but in my field pushy bay area parents are getting their kids publishing papers and stuff in highschool. It's a freakish arms race.
>>
>>16307281
Yeah my library can't be bothered to fix their AC too. Which library is it? I hope it's a college/uni library. Public libraries are more like homeless shelters.
>>
>>16307313
yeah it's my uni's library
>>
>>16307304
I dont think this is worth arguing about and I will see how I compare to other people anyway.
Im just not surprised when I notice that their parents are professors, or they have been doing math olympiads, or they have been university maths since highschool.

Im just saying, that I have to be more realistic than a 23yo person contemplating whether they want to get a PHD
>>
>>16307284
>I should take life serious right now
>study math
????
>>
File: resume7.pdf (65 KB, PDF)
65 KB
65 KB PDF
Can somebody recommend me an online master program which will get me a software development job? This is my current resume.
>>
>>16307356
There's straight up got to be something else wrong with you apart from your education if you can't get a job with this resume
>>
>>16307359
Probably, but I am hoping that an online M.Sc will fix that.
>>
>>16307365
I mean that I don't think a lack of educational bonafides is the problem here
>>
>>16307346
lol
As I said in the other post, it seems like a good compromise between having fun and due to the minor you can also learn directly employable skills.
Also apparently math graduates have a very low unemployment rate in Germany.
Also its better than being a neet.
Also I dont have a concrete career goal, where I could pick a direct path towards it.
>>
>>16307388
I believe learning math will serve you well in life no matter where you go. I'm relearning algebra and calculus myself because I've suddenly reignited my interest in the subject. Maybe I'll make something of it down the line, but I'm psyched to get practicing again.
>>
>>16307409
I think that getting a degree in maths gave me prodromal schizophrenia, but sure go off...
>>
>>16307371
I know but I believe I can offset some of my problems by getting another degree
>>
>>16307437
Keep on rocking then
>>
>>16307416
>prodromal schizophrenia
What happened that caused the symptoms to appear? Do you believe it was the stress of majoring in it that caused that to happen? I would think that the time / grade pressure of higher level maths past calculus would definitely put significant mental strain, but not outright psychosis.
>>
>>16307416
>>16307550
I also want to add, forgive me if I sounded condescending, I didn't intend to come off that way if that's how I wrote my questions. I legit would like to know your story.
>>
I'm >>16305256

>>16307144
>That's a thing? You do all that work for a PhD and you're still a low-level intern?
>>16307154
>Companies don't usually see the work you do as a PhD as actual work

In a PhD's case, they wouldn't be a "low-level intern" on the same level as an undergrad junior or senior, fetching coffee/newspapers or pulling all-nighters building PowerPoint slide decks for your Mergers&Acquisitions "Vice-President" (which they won't read or use, by the way).

From my experience (techrat/codesimian), it's a way of attaining short term labor from highly educated individuals who are completing their PhD (or have recently graduated), for the following example reasons:
* their research is *exactly* what your company/product/team needs - maybe it's a brand new idea/greenfield project led by a Senior Researcher who could use a spare pair of hands; this may transition into a full-time role if the idea takes flight and finds a market
* it isn't, but it's close enough, and your team/product could use their specialized skills for a short while, offering them some useful industry experience in return
* the company is a FAANG, and wants to strategically deny small/medium enterprises access to critical talent they'd need to flourish, scale, and eventually thereby compete with them as equals. They have several research (and "research") teams on retainer with several openings each, open year-round, enticing recent PhDs with unmatchable wages and the envied tech startup glitz and "company culture".

Regarding the last case, I speculate here, but this steady supply makes it unlikely that each (or most) of them will have the opportunity to make an impact - there are simply too many to properly fund every idea, and eventually, shareholders' primacy in this latest stage of capitalism will forcefully shift the tides of funding/budgeting, and leave teams high and dry, dispersing bright graduates across the industry to pollinate elsewhere.

Consider what happened to Google X.
>>
Am I really fucked getting an astrophysics degree? At first I wanted to be a prof but now I just want to work in industry doing something actually useful.
>>
>>16307550
>>16307691
I was kidding, but getting a maths degree has been one of the worst decisions I have ever made. The juice really wasn't worth the squeeze.
>>
>>16308128
>astrophysics
Bruh
>>
>>16308221
Yeah I know, just need to figure out how to salvage it.
I should have just gotten an MBA.
>>
>>16308228
>figure out how to salvage it
Make an astrophysics YouTube channel and make some Patreon and ad money. Here's a video idea: Mysterious/strange planets icebrg.
>>
>>16307284
>>16307388
Have you tried coding before? Personally I think programming as a full time profession sounds like a pain in the ass (constant troubleshooting and having to read and understand other people's code) plus in Germany you're likely not going to make big bucks as a programmer. If you'd like to make money, I would pick business as a minor. You'd be leagues ahead of all the BWL students because of your math foundation. I wouldn't take physics except for personal interest reasons, it's not really going to open new job opportunities.
Consulting pays well but you're going to need good grades for that and at least a Master's degree if not a PhD.
>>
>>16307437
I really cannot believe you can't get ANY decent job with your resume. Maybe your standards are too high? Or what you're looking for is too specific? I would not get another degree if I were you, you have more than enough education. Employers are just going to look at that and think that you couldn't make it in the job market. It would be better for you to get any job that's roughly related to the field you want to be in and then try to leverage the experience for a better job later.
>>
>>16308128
>astrophysics
Did you read the FAQ? The job market was never good for anything relating to astronomy and is getting even tougher.
>>
>>16308405
I am having a really hard time getting a job. Part of the problem is that I live in a small town and need to re-locate to a bigger city. I am entirely willing to re-locate but recruiters don't believe that for some reason.
>>
>>16305645
>STEM people should read more about organizational theory to see just how crazy the world truly is.

elaborate
>>
>>16305806
>I am the most victimised person on earth.
false. the most victimised person would theoretically be an african woman born and lives in africa, with severe deformities like down syndrome. missing limbs. with predatory people around. no cooperation and no opportunities...
>>
>>16308652
that's literally me
>>
>>16306002
certs and online degrees are all MEMEs. they don't do shit for you to earn more money. they sell false hope to people for better "career prospects" or as ego boosts for some people to get a "marketing degree" from an online course given by "Cornell" for example.. it's bullshit

the most important factor is your networking (whether directly or indirectly think physical availability and appearance/actual social interactions). you're in an interview they ask for a college. more prestigious than theirs??? you're hired. equally prestige (playful banter => you're hired). same school (talk about some common places in college => you're hired). oh you come from some shitty school => well you must be a genius or offer something to the company/employer since you can't continue company culture.

employers and interviewers/C-suite execs want ego boosts and feeling of importance. they employ people "like them".

it's useless to be logical in this case since all that matters now is "getting into the top-tier schools with very low admission rates".... listen to the rumors. here people speak and listen to "status indicators". if you hear any sign of jealousy or signs of prestige given to a certain degree/career follow it. most likely, you meet and give appearance to future important people and career prospects....

it's very systemic. it means old money parents with smart kids who have all that social-geographic advantage also succeed... think harvard legacy hires and all other shiii (going to specific elite high schools that would allow you to specialize in a very certain sport be a part of a team like rowing with people you knew from junior high school)...

this is reality...

just gotta lay it all out. meritocracy is dead. we have lots of smart people. smart people from old money families (thousands) are those that inherit + other lucky and "very genius" people that realize this trick can mobilize to a higher socioeconomic status....
>>
>>16308680
>oh you come from some shitty school => well you must be a genius or offer something to the company/employer since you can't continue company culture.

on this point to be hired by the company you must be either
>a literal genius
>offer something to company like customers or investors
>a personality hire (they like you from interview)
>>
I am currently studying math + physics (bachelors) and also self-studying programming in the side. What is a good masters degree to get to earn good money? (EU)
>>
>>16308696
Switch to engineering, NOW. Don't make my mistake.
>>
>>16308696
my advice would be go to whatever engineering program is prestigious is in your country... network and just overall be present in school. let them know that you are there...
>>
>>16308698
>>16308700
I can’t switch bachelors during studying so if I were to switch I would have to start over. No recommendations for a masters degree that might be useful?
>>
>>16308716
Engineering
>>
Engineering isn't always that great either, I'm still looking for a 1st job. Granted if you do civil mechanical or electrical you should be maximally employable.
>>
I have this feeling that I'm about to be laid off from my tech job completely unrelated from my degree next month when the recession hits for real.
I have a kid to feed so I'm gonna be absolutely wrecked.
>>
>>16308769
have you considered getting an IT job which has absolutely no engineering content in it?
>>
>>16308984
I'm willing to consider it. My degree's in Aero but I can make a case for having some programming experience in things like matlab and python.
Isn't that kind of role very competitive though?
>>
>>16308649
>elaborate
Books on organizational theory explains how organisations operate in practice and how they should operate. It is very different from what STEM peopel think. Truth, honesty, integrity and responsibility are all easily trumped by greed, fear, sexual favours and cowardice.
>>
>>16308987
software testing will take any mouth breather with a degree

but if I was you, I would not do this. because you can't go back
>>
>>16308629
Are you sure it's b/c they are unsure you're willing to relocate and not b/c they aren't considering your resume?
>>
>>16309012
Several recruiters have called an asked about my location and re-location plans.
>>
Are there any jobs that will hire me and send me to Asia? I honestly just want to get the fuck out of my regular life.
>>
>>16307151
how are they going to hire them when indians get into management positions and just hire their own? its joever....
>>
>>16309581
Just transfer to an Indian university and network. simple.
>>
https://www.coursera.org/degrees/master-of-science-information-technology-iiithyderabad

Imagine being a white person and signing up for this
>>
>>16309565
Are you willing to learn another language and spend years doing so?
Do you have any marketable skills that allow you to work online?
>>16309617
>the Indian IT industry is expected to grow to $500 billion by 2030
India is expected to surpass the US economy by around that time as well - 2035.
>>
>>16309618
India world power sar
>>
>>16309625
Most CEOs of Fortune 500 companies are Indian.
>>
>>16309626
This is the science board, not the glazing up business weenies board
>>
File: makingLightWithPiss.jpg (92 KB, 750x1000)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
PhD student specializing in drug discovery here.

Bluntly speaking, how do I get published in big hitters like nature or science with the least effort required ?

Hard mode: My institution isint in top 100 and I'm from a country that only recently got accepted in the honorary firstie club.
>>
>>16309657
Fake results.

This guy might be able to help you:
>>16309626
>>
>>16309657
I've heard it could take years to have your research published there.
>>
>>16309657
It helps to get a very reputable PI
>>
File: 1655008734121.jpg (71 KB, 1042x1116)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>quit job 2 months ago
>was there for 8 years
>was very high travel and other annoying things but the work wasn't bad
>boss offered me job back, partial or full-time at my discretion, ZERO travel
>no long term commitments expected if I wanted to quit for another place or w/e
Sounds nice but having some misgivings about going back to a place I quit. Would also be weird since for that job travel is pretty much mandatory...except for me if I came back. hmm. What do.
>>16307307
>pay raise
>for a masters
>in chem E
Isn't it pretty much negligible for most positions? I'm a Chem E myself and saw zero point to doing it unless you worked at a corporate shithole where it's a resume line item that will make retarded middle managers think you're worth promoting faster than the other retards instead of judging you by your work (most offices). I took a handful of graduate courses while finishing my undergrad and it was a breath fresh air having easy classes for once. The professors weren't trying to fucking fail you anymore like in the undergrad program. But every school is different so do with that what you will.
Have you gotten your PE at least?
>>
>>16303769
>Controls
What type?
>Technicians tuning PID loops
so these are the retards I find who set the integral time a third of what it should be and using non-linear gains and other dumb shit that isn't fucking necessary. Or Eq Type B on fucking pressure controllers with the gain at 50 or something UNGODLY SO IT KICKS THE FUCKING VALVE 40% WHEN YOU MOVE THE SETPOINT. No, those retards shouldn't be allowed to tune anything.
If you think you're interested in controls, Control Engineer positions are hard to fill at refineries / chem plants right now. If you want something MORE interesting, do advanced process control at a place. Any good place will teach you / make you learn to tune PID loops and then you get to design multi-variable controllers with whatever software they use (DMCPlus, Shell's PACE software, etc). These positions are usually delegated to chem e's but honestly that isn't necessary. I've done it for 8 years.
>>
What's the best FE prep materials?
Do I actually have to pay $160 for a used copy of Lindeburg or is there something free online?
>>
>>16305750
Yeah I got a PhD in physics and then had to take a job at Walmart after graduating as a stocker.
My first week I was stocking the produce at 4:00 AM and some tweaked out meth head starting screaming at me because I didn't rotate the lemons properly. I just dumped the new ones on top of the old ones because I didn't give a fuck. Then I had a moment of crisis where I realized this retard meth addict was more competent and had more integrity than me.
>>
>>16307162
The difference is when you are doing a PhD there is no consequences for failing. You are protected by the bubble of the university which is an artificial environment propped up by fiat currency.
If you fail your professor just laughs, takes you for a beer, and then smudges the data and passes you anyways. In the business world if you fail everyone loses their jobs.
>>
>>16309618
>Are you willing to learn another language and spend years doing so?
Yes and no. I studied German off-and-on for like 10 years and that experience taught me that I will probably never be fluent in a foreign language.
>Do you have any marketable skills that allow you to work online?
I currently work online 4 days a week. That 1 day in office is fucking me up. I don't have any marketable skills and it's a miracle I'm even employed. I should say that I have worked in Asia before and no one required me to learn any languages, but that situation was kind of unique and I was in a bubble somewhat.
>>
Are there any reputable online MS programs that don't cost an arm and a leg and will take a student with the most horrific undergrad transcript you have ever seen? I have a BSEE. I just feel stuck and want to do something with my time besides turn my brain off and play MMOs.
>>
How do I cure Imposter Syndrome?
>>
>>16310609
Why bother? Just be an imposter. You get paid either way.
>>
>>16310576
>when you are doing a PhD there is no consequences for failing
That's incorrect. It's true you're unlikely to get fired from a PhD, or even to fail a thesis defense. But academic positions, publications and funding are heavily competed for. Becoming a tenured professor in this day and age doesn't allow for too many mistakes. You get 3-4 years during your PhD to produce research output, develop your skills and niche, find/apply/receive a suitable next position/fellowship. Then as a postdoc you get 1-3 years to do it again but properly this time. If you don't have the output, don't have the funding, don't have the position, don't have the references, your career is over before it started at which point you're 35 looking for an entry level industry job.

Yeah your professor isn't gonna sink from your fuckup, but you absolutely will sink from your professor's fuckup as well as your own and there is very little you can do about it.

>In the business world if you fail everyone loses their jobs
For this to be true either the business is grossly mismanaged or you're a big shot and presumably get paid enough to deal with it.
>>
>>16310723
>at which point you're 35 looking for an entry level industry job.
That's me anyways but without the PhD and just a bachelors
>>
>>16310725
I feel for you, however hopefully you didn't spend the last decade grinding out long days in academia for dogshit pay only to have your PhD advisor leave academia in the middle of your degree and for your postdoc PI ditch the group for a better position after a year, nuking everything you worked towards and leaving you with nothing to show for a youth sacrificed.
>>
How do I relearn to love what I'm doing my PhD on. I just feel fear and panic all the time.
>>
>>16307169
I had multiple Human Resources reps in interviews ask me about my “philosophy degree in chemistry” because they didn’t know what PhD meant
>>
>>16310775
Enjoy the stone age.
>>
>>16310776
It's happening now. Let me tell you something. You won't like this 3000 years. And you will never get your revenge. It's all paid for by you. You're not good enough and never will be good enough to do it. I'm gonna slice you in a minute and you'll experience that.
>>
>>16310781
Ow quit slicing me dude
>>
>>16310776
Idk what’s that supposed to mean. We’re headed for a dark age… but there’s plenty of cheap metal to use for tools and shit
>>
>>16310781
You got so much death tax as well for your abuse of the simulation

The pangolins were entered into the simulation late as a trick, for each of them you harmed, you took 100* death tax. Read them properly. In total you owe about 13000 years to death.

You'll do my 3000(yes, solar years) in super intelligently created harsh conditions. Then I'm gonna kill you and make you pay your death tax. And when your someone else, you'll never get your revenge. You're gonna see soon.
>>
>>16310775
I was working at a place where HR thought PhD was just a different spelling of BSc, and proceeded to pay me accordingly.
I no longer work there.
>>
>>16310767
You don't. You finish it and walk away to different research projects.
>>
>>16310953
Not what I needed to hear right now dude...
>>
File: Comfy.png (355 KB, 891x605)
355 KB
355 KB PNG
>>16310767
>I just feel fear and panic all the time.
That is normal during a PhD study, but you will get through it. Just get enough sleep, fresh air and a minimum of exercise. Avoinf junk food. You know, just the normal advice that is forgotten once the adrenaline starts flowing.

So take a deep breath. We are all going to make it.
>>
Respectfully, why are there so many pajeets in electrical engineering, computer science, and computer engineering?

Taking a look at the masters student statistics for USC's engineering programs, which are public, I found that roughly 80% of EE, CompE and CS master's students are foreign born. By contrast, only 40% of mechanical engineering master's students are foreign born.

What accounts for this difference? If these statistics can be believed, won't I have better employment opportunities as an American if I major in Mechanical Engineering, since I'll be competing against pajeets? Why is EE touted as the most employable field when there seems to be an army of enough pajeets to fill every EE opening in the US 3 times over?
>>
>>16310959
It's unfortunately the hard truth. Accept that your PhD project is going to be shit and not something you'll ever want to return to. Keep in mind you aren't writing a magnum opus, it doesn't need to be world-leading in every facet. It only needs to be good enough to get you the PhD. Bonus points if you get some pubs and it helps you get a job after.
A PhD isn't a skill test, it's an endurance test.
>>
Are there relevant hacking laws
>>
Am I going to hacking jail??
>>
Starting my PhD in september after finishing the masters.

What should I do to ensure I have the best chance of getting into either industry or a faculty position after? I have a project in mind that I'm aiming for with my PI, and it is pretty similar to existing stuff but I think eminently doable within 3-4 years time.

Am I OK not going for a moonshot here?
>>
>>16311157
>What should I do to ensure I have the best chance of getting into either industry or a faculty position after?
focus on developing your soft skills and interpersonal skills. network as much as you can.
>>
>>16310775
Chat, is this real?
>>
File: 18b.jpg (11 KB, 235x216)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Whats big in engineering/applied-physics research now a days. Besides RF and stealth stuff.
>>
Should I take up cs as a second major to my physics degree or am I better off just doing a Bsc in physics then go for PhD?
>>
I have a bs in math and have no clue what to do career wise. I’ve applied to hundreds of ds jobs get barely any replies. I have all of the skills required. I don’t know what else to do. I’ve been thinking of pivoting to something else. I feel like my life is on hold until I get a job. It’s be a couple of years since graduating. Any advice?
>>
>>16311228
Yes. I will swear before God that I had this happen twice while I was living on savings and couldn’t afford my grad school apartment anymore and was omw to being homeless.
>>
Would it be a bad idea to ask out a girl in my lab?
Could if have professional repercussions if she rejects me?
>>
>>16311387
Do not do it. It absolutely can have professional repercussions in this day and age if she decides to make a big deal out of it. You're basically giving her free rein to fuck over your career.
>>
>>16311157
Say yes to everything and get involved in everything. It'll help you network as well as build varied skills. if you end up at a conference, absolutely chat to PhD students from other institutions and do non-conference things with them. In my field, drinking and climbing are the best ways to socialise at conferences. Hyperfocusing on just your project is the wrong way to do a PhD.
>>
>>16311411
>drinking and climbing are the best ways to socialise at conferences
Explain climbing, like social climbing or rock climbing?
>>
I'm reaching to 1 year at this defense company as an electrical engineer doing power distribution, arc flash, etc for the facility. I hate this state, the company sucks ass, and I want to leave, is 1 year enough to jump? I know I lose out on 401k match but I genuinely don't give a shit about that.
>>
>>16311233
For Physics, solid state physics will always be safe. And if they get that room temperature superconductor off the ground, the field will explode just like it did back in 1987.
>>
Today I received my PG (pro geologist) license. Feels good man.
>>
I get instant rejected from every job.
>>
>>16311268
DS market is way oversaturated now. You can try getting a master’s in stats or CS, but without any work exp in some kinda data role it’ll still be very difficult to get a true DS role. Seems like you need both the MS and a few years exp as at least a data analyst (or data engineer) to even have a shot these days. This is due to the field being memed for years, the flood of jeets, and the tech sector being dogshit in general right now. With just a BS in (I assume) pure math you’re just not gonna get hired. So either buckle down and shoot for data analyst roles and get a couple years down in the mines — preferably working towards an MS at the same time — or figure out a different path.
>t. BS applied math and stats, been data analyst for 4+ yrs, about to start the MS stats
>>
>>16311725
Why do you think that is?
>>
>>16311735
I don't know. I used to get a lot of interviews and even offers, and that was when I had even less experience.
>>
>>16311736
The job market is just shit and your old
>>
I am looking for some self-improvement advice. I am in a STEM-adjacent field, political science. We need to do statistical methods courses like multiple regression, maximum likelihood. At the lower level we just had to apply formulas. For example, calculate standard deviations, statistical significance tests, regressions and use of stata. When I moved up to the higher level, I started to get asked theory questions that I have no background in solving. For example, a question might be something like "show there will be serial correlation if first differences are used when error is not serially correlated". I have a really hard time coping with these problems where I have to prove some statistical property.

Is there any way to get better at theory? I really want to be good at methods.
>>
>>16311807
Open textbook -> look at definition for term -> look at list of properties for term -> use properties to either directly or indirectly prove statement
See vid for a more general idea of how mathematical proofs work
https://youtu.be/V5tUc-J124s?si=E4onlz0yu8jspGlp
>>
About to enter college and now that AI is dying down want to find the industry that’ll be the next internet or something of that nature. Any specific technologies to look into?
>>
>>16308128
Not too fucked probably. Some places covet (astro)physicists due to us working with a lot of data and/or software development, so pivoting from there is certainly a path
I know people who've gone to banks, industry, schools or outreach
I suppose it will depend on the skills you've been taught in your program
>>
>>16311579
So what's the plan now? Grad school? Industry?
>>
>>16311791
I'm so psychologically damaged by your post. You scored a hit. You did big damage here.
>>
File: punching-cat.png (37 KB, 236x344)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>
how do you go back to your field after spending years in IT?
>>
>>16312114
NTA but it is true that the job market took a plunge (and anotehr one yesterday), but the important truth is that it will get better. I graduated back when the job market was a smoking crater and I was about 30.
This is a big election year and the incumbents will always try to keep the job market afloat, sinc that is the main performance metric that voters care about.
>>
>>16303863
>Peterson's academy
Jesus Christ, what is this?
>>
>>16312164
You literally can't. Go get an IT degree and go full Indian.
>>
File: waluigi_THINKER.jpg (95 KB, 547x480)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
What's a good number of publications for applying to a tenure track position? (In CS)

My advisor wants me to defend 2 years from now, but I only have 3 first-author papers (and only 1 in a good conference). I have 2 in submission right now, 1 of them is good. (Plus 2 middle author papers, one in a good conference, and two more in submission)

I have one more year before I start applying.
Am I fucked?
>>
>>16311468
Rock climbing. Or more specifically bouldering. Really popular with some groups of physicists for some reason.
>>
>>16312085
I have a masters in geology and several years of experience in environmental consulting. This is so that I can stamp groundwater maps and shit. Might get an mba. Short term I want a raise and promotion.
>>
Is Online MBA degree worth it? Which one is good?
>>
>>16313044
Only do an MBA if your employer is paying for it. It's finishing school for guys moving up the ranks at consultancies, IB, etc...
>>
The good thing about a career in science is that failures as a young man will constantly haunt you going forward due to it's rigid and unforgiving class system
>>
>>16313144
I feel like doing one just for a sense of progression. I'm in a rut. I have no personal life so professional development is the only thing to keep me going.
>>
>>16313202
Can't you think of something more interesting or personally rewarding than business to study then? Art history, classics, furniture making?
>>
>>16313208
All memes.
>>
>>16313221
You should get an MBA actually you're completely cut out for it.
>>
https://newlane.edu/bachelor-of-arts-in-philosophy/

What do you think of this program? It is pretty cheap.
>>
I applied to be an adjunct instructor at the University of the People. Is it a total meme?
>>
>>16313316
I got a bs how hard could a fucking mba be
>>
>>16311478
Wait until at least 2 years retard.
>>
>>16313498
Yeah you'll fit right in, it'll be completely at your level.
>>
Any good online M.Sc that is free for EU residents?
>>
File: 1718741969795871.jpg (304 KB, 1024x1024)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
i hope this is the right place to ask, but i was rejected from a summer research position after last semester ended. would it be too much too send a late "thank you for your time and consideration" email in response or should i not even bother? this was back in may. thanks.
>>
>>16313777
Just tell them to go fuck themselves
>>
>>16311893
Special Education. Kids are getting more retarded each year. A literal gold mine.
>>
>>16313777
waste of both your and their time. Spend it applying elsewhere
>>
>>16313462
>Israeli Corporations Authority[18] and maintains an office in Tel Aviv, Israel
>The university does not participate in federal financial aid programs,[20] but it does offer scholarships to eligible students
Yes and really shady too
>>
>>16313592
ok and?
>>
>>16313987
I actually did this one time after I thought I was getting an internship and then they went with someone else. I was mad and I didn't care.
>>
>>16313428
Not STEM
>>
>>16311047
Most pajeets don't stay in the US because they need visa sponsorship
>>
I'm over this fucking PhD and I'm not even a year in. I've done the implementation and written up the intro, background and method. It's experimentally better than the prevailing method. We want to submit it to ICML next year but the theory part is fucking killing me, because I am a dumb retard. Can I get away without including error bound theory in the appendix? (it's a twist on an optimisation method)
>>
Has anyone gotten their PE license in California via comity, is it a pain in the ass
>>
>>16313462
It's almost impossible to not get hired as an adjunct somewhere legitimate. Pay is terrible, benefits don't exist, you will be a second class citizen, there's no job security or guarantee of academic freedom... but you should be able to get hired anywhere for it. The barrier for entry is extremely low. Just apply somewhere you don't have to ask if it's a meme.
>>
>day 221 of unemployment
Getting a math phd was a huge mistake
>>
>>16312300
>Am I fucked?
yes
>>
>>16314563
>It's almost impossible to not get hired as an adjunct somewhere legitimate.
That's literally me. I have a phd + extensive teaching experience, including 2 year full time teaching. Still got rejected from all Swedish schools.
>>
>>16298920
By guys. I have ascended. I got accepted to a business school. Will bully some of you nerds later, if you manage to get a job. Had fun in this general for years
>>
>>16314657
>business school
Booooriiinnnggg
>>
>>16314655
He was probably speaking from an American context.
In the US, education is a for-profit industry. There's a lot more money to throw around. Our professors are closer to used car salesmen than Aristotle.
>>
>>16314657
Dude you'll be the CEO of goldman sachs in no time!
>>
>>16314761
Also British universities have had second class staff hanging on at low pay for years, even over a decade. They can still have their contract not renewed.
>>
I really fucked up doing electrical engineering.
The field is so broad that your experience doesn't carry from one job to the next. You will be funneled into some hyper-specific line of work that subsequently disqualifies you from working in 90% of electrical engineering.
>>
https://www.metropolia.fi/en/academics/open-university/path-studies/it-online

Opinions on this? Anyone completed it?
>>
is a PhD worth it?
>>
>>16314657
>business school
corporate lawyer and accountant production facility but better than being a basedientist or enginjeet
>>
>>16315061
Unless you work in some cucked industry, you will have stable employment because of this, everyone will always need electricity

If you work in power systems all that electrical system design is fairly the same across industries.
>>
>>16315719
My mentor in undergrad told me that you should only get a PhD if you want to be a professor or if you want to be the leader of a large operation
>>
>>16315780
what if I hate academia and won't stay for a postdoc but got shafted into IT and can't practice my field right now, but there might be a PhD available in my field
>>
File: 1693946154032248.jpg (149 KB, 1500x1500)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>job market
If I don't get a job after I graduate I'm going to blow my brains out.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.