[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sp/ - Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1624044355104s.jpg (7 KB, 250x238)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Does anyone unironically look forward to the olympics anymore? Besides the opening ceremony, closing ceremony and creepshots of hot female athletes, it's just another sports competition.

I know that, in the US at least, they've been trying to force-feed us that it's a big deal but the only thing is that it disrupts is TV programming for 2 weeks.

Are there any countries out there where this is "Must See TV" like a World Cup or anything like that?
>>
File: IMG_5183.jpg (735 KB, 859x1090)
735 KB
735 KB JPG
>>142948215
I genuinely love the Olympics ever since seeing this thing on a Cheerios box. I look forward to it every two years and have a great time because I enjoy the ideal of friendly competition and fair play along with finding the best of the best in the entire World on the biggest stage. Upholding traditions of the human spirit for Sport. I have a genuine passion for it. Not even a "Go USA!" every time but I cheer for the individual athletes to all do their best.

But I recognize that it's not popular anymore. And the IOC is trying really hard to get countries to bid even though it's more expensive than it's worth. It's why I understand that they approved the eSports Olympics with the Saudis, they need the money and new audience.
>>
The problem is that most of these sports now have an alternative global competition, sometimes even overshadowing the now secondary Olympics.

To me, they should reduce the amount of sports or create more well defined divisions between types of sports, embrace being secondary in certain sports and focus on development of young athletes in that niche, and perhaps even innovating and creating new sports from existing ones. For example, this might be a crazy example, but they could have a competition where every country sends 20 players to play multiple different team sports like Basketball, Football, Volleyball, etc. Finding the best multisport athlete in the world sounds interesting
>>
I'm interested in the sense that there might be a giga happening of the Religion of Peaceā„¢ variety given the state of the world right now, but otherwise no.
>>
>>142948215
>opening ceremony, closing ceremony and creepshots of hot female athletes
you listed several reasons to look forward to olympics
>>
>no squash, no bowling, no bridge, no snooker, no futsal, no darts, no beach footy
how am I supposed to take that shit seriously
>>
>>142948215
never cared
never will
>>
>>142948489
>The problem is that most of these sports now have an alternative global competition, sometimes even overshadowing the now secondary Olympics.

I don't think you understand what the Olympics is

It's like 30 World Cups going on at once where there is no alternative competition like a Cops American or Euro. This is it. This is the only time anyone will ever watch them compete and they are competing for the only awards in their careers that matters to anyone

Now sure you can say what about golf and tennis, but nobody really cares about golf or tennis in the Olympics. It's not a "now" thing, it has always been this way
>>
>>142948215
>another sports competition

there are no actual sports in the Olympics other than youth football and boxing
>>
>>142948215
It's so weird for me. At some point I just lost all interest. I don't remember the exact point but it was probably randomly checking and... yep, another swim competition.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.