[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sp/ - Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (4).jpg (11 KB, 209x241)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
I've been watching a lot of dinosaur era football especially the 1992-2006 period and yes I accept that the level difference to today's football is abysmal, players moved like turtles on the field and the technique was laughable

even a Sunday league club from today could compete in that era but everything else besides the game level was better, the kits were cooler, the players were very entertaining and fun to watch and even had very characteristic looks

the crowds were amazing, oh and regarding to international football it looked like the players were really proud to play for their countries and clubs didn't see it as an annoyance to concede their players to national teams

what are your thoughts?

do you like dino era football (2006 and before) or modern football (2007-2024)?

who were your idols growing up?
>>
>>142978446
You are retarded
Most 90s and 00 legends would completely demolish these zoomer ngubu teams.
AC Milan from the early 90s would win every champions league. Laudrup romario stoichkov Barca would win the rest
>>
Football had a soul back when I didn't know much about it, and fantasized about what might be lurking behind this great curtain of the Unknown.
Perhaps the real magic of the game lies in the fantasy of what we think is possible, rather than what we actually see.
>>
>>142979170
We see so much now because of the internet and data, no more mystery
>>
>>142978446
I whole he agree with what you say. People like to say that there was huge difference in level, but that's a huge overstatement. There are 3 factors that are never taken into account when talking about it: 1) ball weight 2) turf height 3) tactics. 1 and 2 made the game a lot heavier and slower, while 3 did not allow players to focus in perfecting just a couple of movements as they do today. Memes like "the pacey ngubu", "the cut inside man", "the tap-in merchant" and "penaldo" reveal how important is the role of tactics in modern football. Creative players with character and personality are punished while mindless drones are given awards. Factor 4) is referees and rules. They're the most debated subject but it really doesn't need all that explaining: refs nowadays have made the game simply unwatchable.
>>
early and mid 00s premier league was pure soul
>>
Yes, soul is the worst part of football these days, most players are versatile so you don't have many players with clear identities, or known for a specific skill, they look the same, same tattoos, same haircuts, even the national teams all look the same, back then each country had players that look like they belong to that country, players that were memorable, now...
>>
joggers ruin everything
>>
>>142978446

The main thing for me is that forwards don't run at defenders anymore. Every goal is by a through ball now. If your team doesn't have a midfielder who can cover 973km every game with a 99.3% pass accuracy, you will lose a lot.

Natural talent doesn't count for anything anymore, it's about quick and safe decision making now.

>How do we fix football, /sp/?
>>
I would say that dinosaur era was over in 2008, once spain fot their first Euro, then football declined: Spain's dominance, the Messi-penaldo rivalry, Brazil turning to shit. Luckily this era redeemed itself by having Messi win the WC and 2 Copa Americas, now we can finally bury football, RIP football
>>
>>142983532
multiball
>>
Colombia in the early 90s was so nice with their toque
>>
>>142983532
>>142982672
>>142983100
>>142983168
Not gonna lie, I'm starting to think these threads are entirely populated by bots at this point
>>
>>142978883
Retard
>>
>>142978883
How can a boomer read this shit and then not realize that he's completely blinded by nostalgia?
>>
>>142984338
I'm 30 years old bitch
Football sucks ass nowadays
Everyone but Spain Germany and Austria played like utter shit in the last euros. Defensive ngububall even if they didn't have ngubus
>>
>>142984519
Maybe you should look at matches played by Germany and Italy in the 80s. If you think Soufgate plays terrorism ball, prepare to be shocked.
>>
nah the 90s were trash,better quality of football than in the 70s and 80s but still very stiff and slow
the 00s were great tho,you could see tactics were getting better while playing at a faster pace too
then football got boring again when it became this pacey ngubu ball that we have now
>>
>>142978446
I grew up watching in that period so will naturally agree
I think
>even a Sunday league club from today could compete in that era
is a horrific exaggeration but today's players are far fitter and would win purely on that basis alone.
That said, there were a number of talented players with great technical ability. Players like Laudrup, Hoddle, Hagi, Zidane, there aren't many today who are superior on technique alone. The average player is technically better now though.
If you took two good teams from the present day and put them on a 90s pitch with 90s boots and a 90s referee you'd be watching a very different game to usual.
Today's players are much better drilled in keeping the ball but I'm not sure about defending. Full backs are basically attackers now and there are very few central defenders a striker would be worried about going up against. All far far better with the ball now than 30 years ago but the art of defending has been somewhat lost. The rules today and their very different implementation go some way to explaining that I think.

But anyway you're right in your main point. The starkest change is in appearance, character and matchday experience. It might be age speaking but the over-analysis and relentless drilling of young players has nerfed most of the wonder.
>>
>>142978446
That was a legendary era. We'll see something like that again in our lifetimes hopefully

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.