[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sp/ - Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

wtf is this shit, my brainlet mind cant comprehend it. How does it work?
>>
I don't even know.
It's cancer, everybody hates it, it will be back to normal in a few years.
>>
>how do leagues work, bro?
>>
i thought super league got cancelled
>>
>>144503702
so every team will face each other, how many fucking CL games will it be??
>>
Top eight qualify for the knockouts , the next eight go into a playoff for the knockouts, the bottom eight fuck off home

>>144503730
No, they seeded everyone and you play eight different teams once.
>>
>>144503648
Not related but i have not followed footy in awhile, did OP crop out Man United?
>>
>>144503730
8 games
And for the clubs outside top 8
Play off knockout for round of 16.
See the previous europa league seasons
>>
>>144503730
I'll keep it simple
>4 pots, every team plays 2 teams from each pot for total of 8 matches, some home, some away. League format for points
>top 8 teams go straight to knockouts
>teams 9-24 play each other (9 vs 24, 10 vs 23, etc.) over 2 legs to get to knockouts
>everything after this remains the same

It's all a money grab and to help big clubs from finishing 3rd in a group.
>>
>>144503730
no, you play 8 games only
>>
File: 213213.jpg (22 KB, 600x532)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>144503764
>>144503834
>>144503850
>>
>>144503648
t. brainlet
>>
>>144503685
wdym
this is unironically great.
a lot more games against different teams from all over europe
>>
>>144503877
It's a fucking mess.
I guess I'm a retard, but I preferred the former format.
>>
>>144503834
after reading this a 5th time i think i get it now
>>
>>144503648
looks based af
>>
>>144503788
united went to bed early, they have a very important europa league game to attend to
>>
>>144503648
Its actually a league now, it works like any other league. Except fewer matches, so you cant play all other teams. A quirky draw is therefore made so you play 6 of the 19 possible opponents.
>>144503685
If anything they will try to add more matches, so you play 10 or 12 of the other teams. This format is incredibly expandable. Imagine being guaranteed to play all the best teams in the world, of you make it to CL group stages. A true Champions League.
>>
i experienced it in football manager, it actually significantly increases the drama because a 36-team table with only 8 games is kind of insane because every gameday it gets reshuffled dramatically and you're always one game away from things being turned upside down

i think as a comedy spectacle it's objectively bettter than the old system where had a lot of dead rubbers (home and away) and the only interest you had which of the two superior teams of the group would become group winner
>>
>>144503865
you play 8 games and the 8 games are decided by drawing 2 teams teams from each of the 4 pots.
>>
File: 1232131.jpg (23 KB, 394x373)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
OK the format sounds very complicated but im now positiv for it, for now. I think. Thanks for breaking it down all!
>>
>>144503994
>If anything they will try to add more matches, so you play 10 or 12 of the other teams. This format is incredibly expandable. Imagine being guaranteed to play all the best teams in the world, of you make it to CL group stages. A true Champions League.
this desu
i think its awesome im gonna see my team play 8 games against great/mid and bottom europeans teams instead of a group stage where you only played 3 other teams.

and they even make it easier for the best ones (top 8).
>>
I'd 9-2 be a Dinamo Zagreb fan right now
>>
File: 1710020193858295.png (419 KB, 780x788)
419 KB
419 KB PNG
>>144503648
>>144503730
>>144503865
>>144503919
>>144504080
we really have the most retarded posters. I rather not witness my own country men expressing their thoughts on this site from now on.
>>
File: overall_pots.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>144503865
Here's the pots for clarification.
>>
>>144503710
you cheeky bastard
>>
>>144504124
OOH so thats what pot mean
>>
>>144504124
so teams from Pot 1 Play against Teams from Pot 4.. 8 times? How is that fair?
>>
>>144503648
each team plays 8 games against semi-randomly determined opponents, 4 at home and 4 away.
3 points per win, 1 point per draw, 0 points per loss.

Yes, it's not perfect since you play each team just once not twice, but on the other hand you play against 8 different teams and not just 3, there is more variance and a small team does not automatically get shafted by having Real Madrid or Man City in its group.
>>
feels designed for foreigners. neutrals that just want to watch some football will now always have a good match nearly every game day, even if your own team is playing a boring opponent there will be an interesting game going on, with the old format the group stage was trash and a waste of time. it still feels weird pushing a big red button and having an algorithm maximize entertainment. and profit ofc. the super league is dead for real now
>>
>>144503648
They've fucked it up
Imagine killing a cash cow like the CL
>>
>>144504217
>semi-randomly determined opponents,
what does this mean
>>
>>144503994
>If anything they will try to add more matches, so you play 10 or 12 of the other teams.
100%
This is the thin end of the wedge, it will be the super league in 10 years time.
>>
>>144504201
what? where did you get that?

read the first > from >>144503834
>>
>>144504201
No, 2 teams from each pots. Those two team got picked randomly. For example Real Madrid face Stuttgart and Brest (pot 4), Lille and Salzburg (pot 3), AC Milan and Atalanta (pot 2), Dortmund and Liverpool (pot 1).
>>
posting in low IQ thread
>>
>>144504217
It's way more interesting this way, and shocker results like a pot 1 team losing at home to some shitter pot 3-4 team will have bigger repercussions
>>
>>144503648
Its retarded that its played from tuesday to thursday. They should add Monday too, why would you make more games if people cant watch them because most of them are at the same time.
>>
>>144503648
They have a league table for this? I thought the whole point was that we wouldn’t have a league table
>>
>>144504325
>tuesday to thursday
only on first matchday. but yes, it's retarded nonetheless
>>
>>144504239
2 from pot 1, 2 from pot 2, 2 from 3, 2 from pot 4 (1 home, 1 away each) with some additional constraints (you can't play against teams from the own country, maximum 2 teams from the same country as opponents - but the computer does nearly all the work and we can't really check that the draws were really random).
pots here: >>144504124
rules here: https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/draws/
>>
>>144504325
they added 2 more games in each round. that's not a lot. there are less games per matchday i.e. 6 instead of 8

>>144504319
the benefit is the extra seeding. there is a difference in finishing 1st versus finishing 8th, which didn't exist before. also, it's arguably fairer because teams have to play teams on their own level/own pot, which didn't exist before. other than that, it seems quite similar
>>
>>144504239
TSU pushed the button
>>
>>144504325
For a lot of reasons
>gambling
>irl attendance
And maybe more I cba to think. Bored dudes watching a pirate stream are not a meaningful audience.
>>
>>144503730
Nigga you could just look up the matches online lmao
8 games per team
>>
I'm convinced there's some meme I'm not aware of about not understanding the new CL format. It's not that hard, you can't be THAT retarded
>>
>>144503648
Bayern is the new Champion, Inter will be relegated and play against sudaca teams next season.
>>
>>144503648
Each team plays 8 games against random, machine-decided opponents, and after that the best ranked teams are qualified for the knockout games. Really complicated if you're 5 years old
>>
The new system is an absurdity, never before used in the world of sports. I refuse to even try to understand it.
The knock-out games starts in february. Fuck everything before that.
>>
>>144505554
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament#Applications

if it works on ultimate frisbee and pokémon, it should work on the CL
>>
>>144503865
all you have to know is that every team has their own schedule. they're not playing every other team. the top teams will qualify, anyone under top 8 goes to the first knockouts, top 8 teams rest during those knockouts. then its all normal i think.
>>
>>144505554
try to understand how suicide works tho
>>
File: tackle.jpg (36 KB, 480x360)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>144503648
Agreed. I fucking hate it already. I want to go back to the "old" system. Fuck this shit.
>>
>>144505554
The new format is objectively better than the old format for spectators. The old group stage was almost entirely pointless outside of the one obligatory group of death. It was a foregone conclusion who was going to progress to the RO16. Now you have teams jostling for positions within a league table until the final matchday to get as high a seed as possible instead of winning their first 4 matches and then going on the beach. Big teams will still be incentivised to finish as high as possible because a good league standing will likely give you a good draw in the latter stages. And small teams will be playing more "winnable" games and have a more achieveable target of finish 24th overall with at least 2 of their matches being against a theoretically similar level of opposition.

The only real "downside" is that you have two extra fixtures at least, and potentially another 2 if you finish 9th-24th and end up in the play-off round. And even then, the income you get from the extra CL fixtures is probably highly desirable to most clubs in Europe who don't earn that much money from their domestic league. It's only a handful of spoilt brats at the very big clubs who are complaining about too many fixtures, and most of them aren't willing to take a paycut for playing fewer matches so they are complete hypocrites.
>>
>>144503764
They should play 8 different teams at once, really mix it up.
>>
>>144505914
>The old group stage was almost entirely pointless outside of the one obligatory group of death. It was a foregone conclusion who was going to progress to the RO16.
but there's no group of death anymore.
it's even more certain now that the top-teams will reach RO16.
>>
>>144505735
Swiss system wouldn't work in football.
you cannot plan traveling on such a short notice after every round.
>>
It's designed to be incomprehensible from a competition standpoint. They want you to subconsciously lose the notion of a competition and just perceive it as a large collection of individual "Superbowl events" vs major European heavyweights. This is the long-term goal. The medium-term goal is getting you used to the concept of a European Super League. Make no mistake, Bayern fans are looking at that table adoringly, and thinking "we're top of the league". They aren't thinking about Bundesliga; their perception is switching to this European league table. Aston Villa fans are thinking "we're 2nd in the European Super League". The Premier League has been relegated in their mind, even if subconsciously.
>>
>everyone sin 1 big group but dont actually get to play each other
woke mob have done it this time
>>
>>144510936
>They aren't thinking about Bundesliga; their perception is switching to this European league table
this has always been the case for european fans

spnaish call the champions league the premier division or premier league. to them la liga is basically the championship. no wonder barca and madrid btfo english teams historically
>>
>>144504325
Most league matches are on Saturday/Sunday. You can't really force matches on Monday because not enough rest.
>>
>>144505914
This format can absolutely work if they decrease the number of international breaks (and scrap useless tournaments like carabao)
>>
shits retarded and everyone at uefa and fifa is corrupt and should be put to death
>>
>>144504124
not a single team from pot4 should be in CL, holy shit that's conference tier
>>
>>144504118
just pretend the dumb ones are all somalis
we do the same thing except with pakis
>>
>>144510936
>Make no mistake, Bayern fans are looking at that table adoringly, and thinking "we're top of the league". They aren't thinking about Bundesliga; their perception is switching to this European league table. Aston Villa fans are thinking "we're 2nd in the European Super League".
yeah and that's kino as fuck. i'm mad interested to see who's top at the end of this round and all the subsequent rounds
>>
>>144510936
This
>>
>>144504118
Leafs have worse.
I bet a leaf will post something stupid in this very thread.
>>
>>144503648
It doesn't really matter, forget it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.