[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sp/ - Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1706376987487643.jpg (13 KB, 250x210)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
What's bad about this new format exactly?
>IT'S LE BAD IT'S TERRIBLE IT SUCKS
ok why
>>
File: file.png (71 KB, 391x247)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
talking about pic rel if it wasn't clear
>>
Help the big teams
>>
It's bad.
>>
It is post-modern.
>>
>>144511535
it insists upon itself
>>
name one other league in history where teams don't actually all play each other
>>
>>144511535
Fans of big clubs will see the new system as “the more relevant league” and in 10 years the whole thing will be expanded even further
>>
>>144511583
Super league chads playing the long game
>>
>>144511577
how about the nfl nigel?
>>
>>144511577
the champions league since 1991? It was the first time they implemented a group stage where, as the name implies, group teams in separate round-robins
>>
>>144511535
>9-2
>>
>>144511577
MLB from 1903 to 2023. Hell until 1997 teams only played half of the total teams
>>
>still watching football
>2020244
haha
>>
>>144511577
the champions league 1992-2024
>>
Its far superior for banter purposes. Taking the piss out of clubs / countries being beneath others on one big table is better than loads of little tables where the shitters like Man U are always bottom.
>>
>>144511535
You wouldn't get it
>>
>>144511535
It's unironically a good format, the only issue is packed schedule but decreasing international breaks fixes that
>>
>>144511577
MLB
>>
>>144511594
this
>>144511666
>>144511734
American League teams always played all American League teams, same with National League
>>
>>144511773
Major "League" Baseball
>>
>>144511535
The only good CL format is one in which only the actual champions are playing in it, not the 4th best team from wherever. Do seeding and play knockouts to qualify for a top 16 group stage and it'll be excellent
>>
>>144511891
>only the actual champions are playing in it
yes that's called the later rounds
>>
>>144511891
you seem like a good lad, so don't look up how the croatian champion did against the team that got 3rd place in bundesliga yesterday, it will ruin your day
>>
>>144511535
Its the natural progression towards a super league. Which i thought Europeans hated. Now its 8 matches. Soon itll be 12, then 16,
Then itll be standard league play with 30+ matches since its not a real league unless everyone plays each other.
>>
>>144511899
This is not what happens even then, we end up with multiple teams from 2 or 3 countries. I'm arguing that if you don't win your league you shouldn't be there, you can fuck off to the europa league
>>144511918
There's 50+ national leagues in uefa, that team would've lost in the knockout stage prior to the group stage anyway. I'd be in favour of the knockout stage losers going down to the europa league so they get european level matches.
What I really want is only the absolute best from each country playing against each other in the champions league, makes it more prestigious because it's fundamentally harder to qualify for if you have to win your domestic league
>>
>>144511899
Last years "champions league" final was between 2nd placed "champion" Dortmund and 2nd placed "champion" Madrid
>>
>>144511970
Then the real "champions" shouldn't have lost
>>
>>144511949
cool, so you want a CL with maybe 3 good teams instead of maybe 10 good teams. How does that make a more prestigious competition again?
>>
>>144511918
what's funny is that Irish teams were getting BTFO like Dinamo in the European Cup pre-Bosman. they'd unironically lose by double digits if they had to play a top team in the current year

>>144511949
>What I really want is only the absolute best from each country playing against each other in the champions league
but that would be utter shit. irish teams suck and half of the top flight is semi-professional

>makes it more prestigious
no it would be less prestigious because it would have garbage in it like irish teams. all you guys would be complaining about how uncompetitive it is without a hint of irony, just like everyone was doing last night
>>
>>144511535
the only purpose of the change is to get amerigolems to watch our sport by showing more meaningless games between the 5 soccer franchises they know... and they won't care anyways
>>
>>144512051
proof?
>>
>>144511985
I already told you how it's more prestigious, because it is harder to qualify because you have to win your domestic league.
UEFA has 55 members, Russia are banned so it's 54 in the pot for the knockout rounds. The top 10 seeds get a bye so there's 44 teams in 22 first round 2 legged matches cutting it down to 32 (when you add the top 10 back). Another round of knockouts and there's 16 teams for group stage
>>
Drogheda apparently lost 14-0 on agg to Tottenham in 83/84, Drumcondra lost 13-1 to Atleti in 58/59 and Dundalk to Liverpool in 69/70. it's not an exaggeration in any way to say Irish club football is the biggest joke in the world
>>
>>144512031
The only wankers who don't want it pure champions only are club supporters from "big" clubs who don't win their own league
>>
>>144512068
You're saying it's harder to win the moldovan league than the be second in the PL or La Liga?
>>
>>144512068
no it's not more prestigious it's more dogshit because irish teams are dogshit they are the dogshit of all dogshits they define dogshit. simple as
>>
>>144512076
keep talking about muh big clubs when half your league is semi-pro because you only follow the top teams in England
>>
lol limerick lost 9-2 on agg to Young Boys in 60/61. that's not even a big team lmao
>>
rovers lost 8-0 on agg Gornik Zabrze in 94/95. i don't even know what club that is hahaha
>>
I don't care, my team doesn't play in this shit.
>>
>this one guy having a spergout
>>
An irish guy definitely banged this UKfag's mom, right?
>>
>>144511535
It’s just away for big teams to secure their positions as the “top clubs” and to keep the money with them and so suppress small clubs from being able to compete against the big boys.
>>144511621
they implemented group stages for the same reason. It was so a club like Real wouldn’t be in danger of going out in the first round and then have only played a couple of games. The group stage would mean 4 home game’s guaranteed, not mattering even if they lost all those group games.

The increase in number of games suits bigger wealthier clubs, then and now, also due to squad sizes.

>>144511711
Clubs like Man U are prime example of this.
>>
>>144512152
>it's the big clubs' fault small clubs lose
dafuq
>>
>>144512077
I'm saying that if you come 2nd you aren't a champion and you should fuck off to the europa league
>>144512087
>>144512103
strike a nerve?
>>
>>144512152
the extra games you play are against teams from your own pot so it actually benefits the smaller teams in the competition. keep going on about the big teams being benefitted because it fits your agenda though
>>
>>144512280
yeah you did strike a nerve, guarantee that if we did go back to just champions everyone would be saying how uncompetitive it is. they were saying it last night about Bayern/Dinamo Zagreb in order to discredit this new format and not just this site
>>
>>144512306
>guarantee that if we did go back to just champions everyone would be saying how uncompetitive it is.
It would at least be a genuine Champions League. Not marketing shit.
>>
>>144512335
>It would at least be a genuine Champions League
and nothing would change. the team that wins the champions league would also won a league of champions except there'd be more lopsided scores. i don't think changing the format to satiate pedantic autists would be a great move, especially when non-champions have been involved for 25 years at this point.
>>
>>144511535
it's american slop
>>
>>144511577
Literally every cup competition.
>>
>>144512335
>genuine Champions League
who the fuck cares? it's just a goddamn name. this has to be the stupidest criticism ever

>Not marketing shit
you always had marketing in football, stop hallucinating a time when football was 'pure.' it's getting real annoying now from you manchildren
>>
>>144512426
It's american kino*

american season with playoffs >>> yuro season where nothing happens and it's just a list of all teams
>>
>>144512453
stick to your slop thanks
>>
>>144512469
sneed
>>
>>144511535
there are no home and away games anymore
>actually there are
it is not the same playing Real Madrid twice one at home and one away than to play them just once in the bernabeu

also this >>144511577
>>
>>144511577
unfuck your shit
>>
>>144511594
>>144511666
>>144511734
these replies only prove the change of format was done so the sport can become more americanized
>>
>>144512501
still havent explained why it's bad
>>
>>144512450
>stop hallucinating a time when football was 'pure.'
I'm well aware football has never been pure, even from the 19th Century.
>>
>>144512503
anything american is bad, you don't have them right on top of your country so you don't know how dire things can get, just to put it simple, if you have an american cellphone it can explode in your pants any of these days
>>
>>144511535
>>144511541

>Euros have to use hieroglyphics to communicate with the influx of Africans into their shitty little continent aka tower of Babel

Pobrecitos
>>
>>144512522
nonsense and gibberish
>>
>>144512520
>american cellphone
you mean a chinese cellphone
>>
>>144512520

The Caribbean sea is your northern neighbor, maje!
>>
>>144512536
america no longer produce cellphones in china, they even banned them from using their microchips, I think you mean a taiwanese cellphone
>>
>>144512528

That's what you sound like to the rest of the world, correct.

Also what's the deal with your hatred of Hawaiian pizza
>>
>>144512549
it is a good thing you don't own any territories in the caribbean sea the...
>>
>>144512561
pizza is not food, it's a snack
you come to Italy and eat pizza it's like coming to the US for a kitkat, you haven't had actual Italian food
>>
>>144512517
yeah so it was always marketed, stop crying
>>
>>144512218
Perhaps it’s because you’re an esl but I think it’s probably more because you’re retarded, your reading comprehension is shit. What I said was the expansion of the European Cup into the Championship League and the recent expansion is a way for “big” clubs make sure they don’t lose and to keep to keep the financial power with themselves.
>>144512292
Except it really doesn’t, that would be clear if you had ever actually paid attention or looked at the track record of less established clubs playing in the UCL.
Let me guess you support manure, which is a prime example of the big clubs I was on about. It doesn’t help smaller clubs who have don’t have the large squads who they can rotate to accommodate the extra games, does it?
>>
>>144512571
I like beans with pasta, that thing the sicilians eat
>>
>>144512571

We have everything here friend. Name a dish that you think we can't get.
>>
File: 1726636326581389.png (542 KB, 863x841)
542 KB
542 KB PNG
>>144512567
>>
>>144512585
How about good food
>>
>>144512577
I'm not the one getting irrationally angry over a format change. Keep sperging out over Irish club performance in Uefa competitions.
>>
>>144511535
>called a league
>really a tournament
>change the format from tournament to league
>people get mad
>>
>>144512571
Going to another country to eat food is peak retardation

We have foreign cuisine retard.
>>
>>144512578
>Except it really doesn’t, that would be clear if you had ever actually paid attention or looked at the track record of less established clubs playing in the UCL.
ah yes because the smaller clubs never make any substitutions
>>
>>144512571
>this mix of carbohydrates, meat, cheese isn't food, but this mix of carbohydrates, meat, cheese is food.
Explain.

Also no one goes to Italy to eat pizza. Everywhere in the world has pizza, honestly the country I've been to with the best pizza was Colombia (oddly since Colombian food overall is meh).

People go to Italy to walk around Florence/Venice dodging random refugee scammers and go to Rome to see an old stadium.
>>
>>144512678
>called a Champions League
>people lose their mind for decades that the champions aren't in it and so it's misnamed
>don't care at all that it isn't a league
>they make it a league
>people lose their mind even more
>>
>>144511577
NFL teams only play 14 different teams out of 31 possible opponents in a given season. They dodge six teams from their OWN conference every single year. also the champions league is not a league (even if the name implies otherwise)
>>
>>144512649

https://guide.michelin.com/en/us/restaurants

Enjoy
>>
>>144511577
The SEC

Despite being in the same league since 1933, Georgia and Mississippi State have only played each other 26 times
>>
>>144511562
Kek
>>
>>144511535
I don’t like the entire format. Algorithm-based draws seems fucky, especially since everyone plays 8 different opponents. It’s not hard to imagine unequal treatment. Not playing every opponent twice, at home and away, is also a flaw in my book and makes things even more uneven. The way it is now, it’s neither a proper league nor a KO tournament, it’s just a drama space where sporting value comes second.
I also dislike the playoffs. 8 clubs are through, these will be really big clubs. And then the 9th has to play the 24th and so on? Why? The 9th already showed they are better than the 24th, didn’t they? If you assume the draws are fair, that is. So the big clubs get some rest while the unlucky others get to duke out who will likely get eliminated by the big clubs next.
It’s also too many games in total for me, 144 games or so to eliminate only 12 teams seems like an awful lot. And teams already struggle with fitness and injuries at the end of the season, the entertainment factor might actually suffer because it’s even more games now. The increase in money for participants will also make national leagues even more unbalanced, that will eventually show in the new CL Format as well. Big clubs are completely safe anyway with the new format, even more than they were before. The only thing it does add is more - likely more or less useless - games between big names. But again, I expect that to drift apart in the long run as well
>>
File: 1712552743351724.gif (1.41 MB, 280x210)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB GIF
i don't like it and in protest i haven't watched any champions league games so far

don't feel i missed anything. literally ALL of these games are inconsequential. you know who will get through and who won't. it'll only matter in Ro16
>>
>>144513131
>It’s also too many games in total for me
I agree, it's hard to keep up and almost feels like work trying to be on top of every game while they're on at the same time
>>
>>144513169
>you know who will get through and who won't
>they're on at the same time
just like my heckin' previous soulful format
>>
>>144512567
NOT THE HECKING US VIRGIN ISLANDSERINO
>>
what is the present CL table meant to tell me? Liverpool just beat Milan 3-1 away, Bayern beat Chucklefuck FC 9-2, yet for some reason Bayern are ahead of Liverpool in a league where they don't play each other.

It's like Celtic beating Greenock Morton 9-2 and going ahead of Madrid in La Liga when they've just beaten Barca 3-1
>>
Every change you see to sports rules is made for ADHD betters.
>>
>>144513595
we'll all have to wait until knockout phase when milan and bayern face eachother (and bayern eats milan alive)
>>
>>144513595
that might be the stupidest post I ever read on ehre
>>
>>144511535
Just look at Man City's UCL draws
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/52919--man-city/matches/
Vs
Liverpool
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/7889--liverpool/matches/
In the previous system even if a team got easy draw, it only affected guaranteed qualification to the round of 16 within that group.
Now, all clubs are competing for the same 8(previously 16)spots that guarantee qualification to the round of 16 regardless of the quality of opposition they face.
If a club got the group of death in the previous system, they could struggle their way to the 2nd spot within that group, now the club has to get enough points to finish in the top 8 against clubs who have an easier draw than them so they can't just scrape their way into the next round
>>
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/draws/
Look at PSG's draw and compare it to Man City, it's brutal.
>>
>>144514070
no it isn't
>>
>half the fucking thread are thirdies or thirdie VPN/diaspora (USA flags)
Cancer
>>
>>144511535
Reminds me of modern financial schemes.
>Takes thing that works
>Fixes it
>Doesn't really do anything except reorder an arbitrary and byzantine bureaucracy to be more byzantine and arbitrary.
>A bunch of people in nice suits smile and clap at their own achievements
>>
>>144514088
Come on now, are you a City fan ?
There's not a single opponent in the PSG draws that is on the same level or lower level than Bratislava, Sparta Praha and Brugge on the PSG or Liverpool draws.
>>
>>144513169
Theyre good because they mean more game threads when my enemy will be gathered for maximum bait
>>
The idea of a playoff based on last season’s results played in parallel with the current season is already retarded. Why spread it out over league play when you can concentrate everything in a month.
>>
>>144514195
The super league idea was pretty much turning it into its own league rather than being based on last years results. People sperged out about it

Now its kind of a league but its also a playoff based on last year at the same time.
>>
cor imagine the chaos from mongs if they'd actually gone through with a proper swiss system. Absolute braincarnage.
>>
>>144511583
I mean, it makes sense. If leagues had stayed regional with a national cup we wouldn't talk about this. The only reason they expanded to national leagues and continental cups was money. So the logical next step is continental leagues and the club world cup replacing the Champions as THE knock-out competition even if it remains UEFA+2 brazilians and Al Ahly.
If it was up to me we should just go back to what it was, like 90% of rivalries that aren't just plain derbies are manufactured. Hell if we went back to regional leagues maybe we could get that 'someone I know is playing the biggest team around' excitement back
>>
>>144513131
Admittedly I'm an old cunt but right now, bollocks to it all. Back to national champions only, single knockout rounds. Bring back the Cup Winners Cup if you want. Can probably sell it as a 'green' solution too, less air travel overall.
>>
I like the new format because its given me more games to put on in the background while I work
>>
the champions league is poopy ass anyway. All shady billionaire clubs playing against each other while hordes of fake ass gloryghunters pretending to be lifelong PSG or Wank City fans. No thank you.
>>
>>144511535
I don't like how by the end of the group stage 2/3s of the teams will still be in the competition. Just cut the playoff round before the last 16 and eliminate the stragglers. Also CL games on Thursdays feels wrong. Likewise EL games on Wednesdays.
>>
>>144512700
shit take
>>
>>144512700
You get the americanized version. If you actually go to a different place you get to taste things that are considered too "risky" to try to propose in the US because "people wouldn't like them" or whatever.
I know you're being retarded on purpose but I'm still going to ask you to stop
>>
File: 1719789490439207.png (156 KB, 494x372)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>144512730
wow
a truly american post
>>
>>144514119
Except the new format really is different, so your whole midwit virtuesignal falls apart
>>
>>144513232
shut up
>>
>>144515030
>our mix of carbohydrates, meat, fat, spices is special. YOU CAN'T REPLICATE IT ACCURATLEY. ITS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!
Please explain which dishes exactly you believe are too "risky" and I bet I'll find a restaurant in the United States that serves it
>>
>>144515586
The Italians in this thread are unhinged drunks don't listen to them. They are too soulful for a New Worlder.
>>
>>144515586
I bet most things offal related are too spicy for ameriburgers outside ultra niche restaurants
>>
>>144516485
Chicken livers and gizzards are sold at gas stations
>>
>>144516534
Do you also eat cows' intestines?
>>
>>144516485
>he picks "you don't have organ meat" as proof that we don't have real good Italian food
lmao
If your cuisine is held up by offal it isn't a very good cuisine
>>
>>144516630
Not even the other guy, simply told you something I bet you guys don't have. Also trippa alla romana is very good
>>
>>144516567
You can get it at Asian markets/restaurants
>>
>>144516702
So no?
>>
>>144516733
At thanksgiving every year my extended family will fry up a bunch of organ meat. I know I've had stomach and brain then, can't remember if I've had intestines or not.

But the Korean restaurant near me has Gopchang, hence the point: we have foreign food here.
>>
>>144511544
allows the small teams to play lots of big teams tho, good for the fans of the small teams
>>
>>144516819
But you won't find stuff like trippa alla romana, coda alla vaccinara, bagna cauda, etc in Italian restaurants. You would get some stuff Americans learned to label as "Italian food"
>>
>>144516897
Restaurant in NYC with Bagna Cauda:
https://www.sancarlonyc.com
Restaurant in NYC with coda alla vaccinara:
https://www.trapizzinousa.com

For trippa alla romana, I'll give you that I couldn't find it. However I did fine trippa alla calabrese
https://www.isleofcapriny.com/
And trippa alla toscana:
https://www.aldilatrattoria.com
>>
>>144514386
Yeah let's make half of the games meaningless because teams can no longer qualify

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.