[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sp/ - Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Phil fucking Jones
>>
>>144511616
What do you call this in psychology? Over compensating? Trying too hard?
>>
File: E_qU0EnXsAIMV8t.jpg (209 KB, 960x1200)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>144511616
Based
>>
>United customers are now the ones stuck in an eternal nostalgia cycle because they're so shit now

Kek
>>
Reminder that Smalling and Jones were meant to be the second coming of Maldini and Nesta, hand-picked by Lord Ferguson to rule over English football for decades.
>>
>>144511626
It's called having a sense of self-worth and accomplishment. He's right to be proud of his career, the majority of footballers don't even make it as a professional. And while he was nowhere near being world class, he's still won a decent amount of silverware in his career.
>>
>>144511616
>i'll tell you how my career went
kek, okay Phil
>>
>>144511626
knowing your own value maybe?
>>
>>144511626
I think he's entirely justified. It just puts in focus how skewed fan perspective is.
I always found it odd that when a player is in the top level of any sport, that if he's not excellent compared to others in the top level, fans are very quick to say how they're "shit" or "terrible." But if you look at it on the whole, they're by far one of the top 99% in their field.
Brian Scalibrine of the Boston Celtics in the NBA epitomizes this- he was the last player on the bench for the team and every dumbass sitting in a bar or pub or watching on TV (or commenting on TV/radio) would comment how much he sucked all the time, so he organized a little tournament where anyone could try to play him 1v1. Naturally, he destroyed every single opponent, not even close.
I always say, remember when you were a kid, the best player on your playground or school? The next level (high school for us) is a group of all THOSE kids that were much better than the average guy. Then the next level (college or minor leagues) is a group of all the best of THOSE guys. Then pros are the absolute best of all THOSE guys. People like Phil Jones who the fatty on the couch say is "terrible" is most likely miles better than any player they have ever seen, and put in tons and tons of work to get to where they are
>>
>ynr Phil Jones made it to 2018 WC squad
>ynr he was still 26yo at that time
>ynr that was pretty much the last time he actually played a string of games before being sentenced by perpetual injuries, playing only 37 games in 5 seasons.
>>
>>144511626
Hes right thoughbeit
>>
>>144511616
legend, battled through injuries for a decade and didn't complain once, produced one of the greatest and funniest improvised blocks of all time while clawing with every ounce of effort he had in him. hope he has a management career ahead of him.
>>
>>144512345
>>144512507
It sounds to me like he went to a shrink and was instructed to think/say/act this way. It sounds weak because he is still letting other peoples opinion affect him.
If he had true confidence in himself, he wouldve realized the person who made the common ("shame about your career") wasnt trying to hurt him, the opposite in fact. If he was able to truly see things for how they are/were, and not just repeating what his shrink told him, he wouldvd realized it was a shame what happened at the end of his career. He couldve been more if not for the injury, which wasnt his fault. So why take offence to a comment that wasnt trying to hurt?
>>
>>144512295
What drugs you on lad, give some.

>>144512596
It's a shit comment to make when you meet someone for the first time.
>>
honestly I blame Ed fucking Woodward for giving him a 4 fucking year contract back in 2019. of all dogshit deals he kept giving left and right, that was one of the worst decision he ever did.
I mean yeah PJ signed it and he got the massive salary he wanted while being injured for like 95% of it, but then fans got irritated with it and even he had to go on public to say that he'd been receiving so many threats from United fans, even being publicly intimidated when he was just walking his dog or with his family.
he got richer but he was in hell mentally.
>>
>>144511616
Nani was right though (assuming that’s who he was talking about considering the pic) hell I think Nani’s career was a bit disappointing but he played a lot and won the Euros so whatever
>>
>>144512596
>the person who made the common ("shame about your career") wasnt trying to hurt him, the opposite in fact
no, they are acting like he's had a pitiful go, it's deliberately insulting
>>
>>144512637
Nah Nani is just for the pic below, he's too kind to do something like that.
>>
>>144512612
>It's a shit comment to make when you meet someone for the first time.
ok so the person made a faux pas. The point is he wasnt trying to hurt or to offend Phil. So why be offended?
Its easy to see why. He is unable to look at the truth. His career went to shit. He collected money to sit around doing nothing. So now he lashes out, even at people whos only trying to be nice (even though they arent doing a good job).
This is what Roy Keane did when he was plagued with injury
>“I wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea obviously and there were a few fallouts along the way, but physically I knew,” Keane said to the Tommy Tiernan Show when asked about when he knew it was time to retire. “Like my last season, I tore my hamstring three times because I knew I wasn’t running properly.
>“My fitness wasn’t right and you’re taking painkillers before training. I went up to Celtic and I was quite embarrassed that I was picking up wages. That’s why I said ‘no I can’t do it, I’m too embarrassed’.
Had Phil Jones done the same thing, had he retired years ago and went into coaching or something, he wouldve been able to look at himself in the mirror and feel pride. Instead he chose to stick around like a bad smell and now he has to compare his life to twitter losers to feel good.
>>
>>144512701
>The point is he wasnt trying to hurt or to offend Phil
How do you know this?
>>
>>144512545
>Brian Scalibrine of the Boston Celtics in the NBA epitomizes this- he was the last player on the bench for the team and every dumbass sitting in a bar or pub or watching on TV (or commenting on TV/radio) would comment how much he sucked all the time, so he organized a little tournament where anyone could try to play him 1v1. Naturally, he destroyed every single opponent, not even close.
Forgot the best part of that: the guys he crushed like 11-1 and 11-2 weren't just regular guys. It was a D1 starter for Syracuse and a guy who played professionally in Turkey and Greece.
>>
>>144512596
>roll over and take the insult
cuck detected
>>
File: mwaye1djr8lx.jpg (226 KB, 960x470)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>144512755
>How do you know this?
okay even if he was trying to hurt him, it is still his choice to be offended. Like when in that interview he told the story where some guy said "youre shit" at him. He couldve just said "right back at you" and walk away. Instead he let it affect him.
Doesnt sound like someone with true confidence to me.
>>
>>144512795
>okay even if he was trying to hurt him
So you didn't know, thanks for clarifying you're clueless.
>>
>>144511616
Yes Jones is a bit of a meme, but he's right. He has had a very good career in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>144512596
If he said "shame about your injuries" that would have been fine. But the fact that he said "shame about your career" suggests that he thought Phil Jones had a bad career, which is objectively false. You sound like you're projecting your own insecurities onto Phil Jones.
>>
>>144512814
Like right here, youre ignoring my entire post and made a comment that i guess you think would make me feel bad right?
But its not possible. I feel even better because i made an argument that you have zero answer for.
>>
>>144512842
It doesnt matter. What he said is just his opinion. If Phil Jones is truly happy about his career, what difference does it make what some stranger think?
>>
>>144512848
Your argument is based on a false assumption whoever made the comment did it without intending to offend him and you backtracked when called out on it. You are talking complete and utter shite.
>>
>>144512873
>It doesnt matter
it does though, put phil's career and winnings on a stat line and 99% of pros would exchange for it.
>>
>>144512596
>sounds to me like he went to a shrink and was instructed to think/say/act this way
so what? unless you are suicidal or schizophrenic/psychotic or something like that, therapy is basically about coping with negative and intrusive thoughts so you can get your shit together and go about your daily life in healthy way
>>
>>144512888
>backtracked
I did no such thing. You raised a valid point and i addressed it and made another argument. Thats not backtracking. You instead just reply to 1 sentence and ignored the rest of my argument.
>>144512896
Not the point
>>144512934
Well his shrink is doing a bad job imo since he still clearly cares about what some stranger got to say about his life.
>>
this whole thread is a chink sayin >N-NO U
kek
>>
>>144513029
Lmao he's seething so fucking much
>>
>>144511626
he is right though. i would in fact snap my hand in half to have phil jones's career and money
>>
>>144512873
If someone tells you something that is objectively false, you don't just hide away and say "I-I don't care what they think". Phil Jones is right to give that person a reality check, they're not just being disrespectful to him but to every professional footballer that isn't world class.
>>
>>144512873
this anon is a fucking nonce, if he says otherwise he's just insecure

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.