[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sp/ - Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

In 20 years watching UCL its the first CL night where i didnt watch or cared a bout a single game
50% of the games are straight up europa league games 20% are unbalanced blowouts and the remaining 30% dont matter (for example liverpool and milan ac will both go through so it doesnt even matter)
>>
The new CL format is the ultimate brainlet filter. Only retards think the old version is better.
>>
old is.. LE GOOD
new is.. LE BAD
>>
>>144511771
yeah it's shit

>>144511779
Explain
>>
>>144511796
>More equal match-ups due to teams playing opponents in the same pot, so more "heavyweight" clashes early on and more winnable matches for teams like Celtic or Bratislava.
>League standing matters because it determines the seeding for the knockout phase, whereas before teams just needed to finish top 2 in the group and nothing else mattered because the later draws were randomised. So teams will likely try to win all their group matches instead of just winning the first 4 matches and going on the beach like in the old format.
>Two different teams are played from each pot instead of playing the same team home and away. So that increases the variety of opposition for any club in a single season.
>9th-24th place going through to an additional play-off round is a good motivator for all types of clubs. The bigger clubs will want to avoid fixture congestion, so they're going to try to finish 8th and avoid the play-off (even if the play-off will likely be against shit opposition if they finish 9th-12th). While the smaller clubs will just be happy to progress by any means necessary, and 24th is an achievable result (especially when they'll be playing two teams from their own pot).
>Much harder to rig, there is only one randomised draw for the whole competition (at the start for the league phase matches) and the rest of the tournament is decided purely on results, unlike the old format which had three random draws (groups, RO16 and QF).
>No demotion to the Europa League, which means that competition is also improved.

The reality is that the group stage in the old CL format sucked, it was only the knockout stages that were enjoyable and that has pretty much been left unchanged (except now you have seeding based on results instead of rigged draws).
>>
Maybe if you stop posting frogs they will revert back to the old format.
>>
>>144511771
Vardrid almost lost to Stuttgart
>>
>>144511771
As a liverpool fan I actually enjoyed it. CL groups were usually boring and you could predict in 95% of groups what would happen.

Last night I actually had an interest in how every other game actually played out because it directly affects my team.

Having to play in the playoff round would be shit, so it's important we get top 8
>>
>>144511890
the value of a "heavyweight clash" is contextual.

no one cares about AC Milan vs Liverpool in July in a pre-season match, to take it to the extreme. AC Milan vs Liverpool in a CL final; very relevant. they play in an old-format group of 4; it's still relevant. in the current format, where both sides have 7 more games to play, to finish in the top 24 places of a 32 team league? not relevant. and you've just watered down the experience so if/when they do meet in the semis or final, you've already seen it (and a dozen other games of a similar standing, in the shitty overbloated faux-league stage)
>>
File: IMG_2434.jpg (52 KB, 847x700)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>All games are knockout. 2 Games, home and away. Away goals count. No group stages.

>Ranking is determined based on who comes first, second etc. in their respective domestic leagues.

>The draw is done the season before, as to which X place team from league A meets Y place team from league B.

>This way no one knows yet which club will face who it will depend on their domestic performance in the season to come minimizing rigging potential.

There, I fixed the UCL. Took me ten seconds.
>>
>>144511919
Liverpool were 1st seeds and milan 3rd so they could have faced off twice in the groups already anyway
>>
>>144511890
Is the whole knockout draw seeded in some way,

Like past the final 16 being seeded as "top 8 v the 8 teams who win in the 9th-24th knockout matches"

I know the 9th-24th playoffs are top 8 v bottom 8
>>
>>144511919
>milan
>heavyweight
this is not 2007, grandpa
>>
>>144511771
This is the future you chose.
Today also only has Pissgay vs Girona and Brügge vs Dirtmund for embarrassment potential.
>>
>>144511959
Who do you support? Raja? Etoile?
>>
>>144511771
>50% of the games are straight up europa league games
but the level of team hasn't changed

>20% are unbalanced blowouts
the league phase in this format is more balanced than the group stage in the last because the 2 extra games are against teams from your own pot

>the remaining 30% dont matter (for example liverpool and milan ac will both go through so it doesnt even matter)
but seeding is a thing. it could be better if the knockout round and the ro16 were 1 legged ties at the home of the highest seed though
>>
>>144511919
Do tards really not see the difference between 8th and 24th in this format and just consider all of it "going through"?
>>
>>144511971
Raja. Why you ask?
>>
>>144511771
I'm not watching any game lmao, see you guys in May
>>
>>144511771
>milan ac will go through
>>
>>144512004
no, they thought 1st and 2nd in the group was all the same too
>>
>>144511959
Always curious who my brown frens support!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.