[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sp/ - Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_4763.jpg (1.69 MB, 1179x2155)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
How do you “give back “ something as intangible and purely abstract as history? What the fuck?

>sonics move to okc
>new players, ownership, employees, location, building, everything
>somehow, this totally new entity “inherits” the past achievements of the former entity
>now the new entity is going to give back history, something that exists as a concept in your mind, to a new new entity that just happens to be in the original entity’s city but only has the same name

This is so fucking retarded holy shit

Exposes how completely soulless franchise system of sports team ownership is. Only the Green Bay Packers have it right

(Inb4 some euroqueer comes into lecture while his team is owned by foreign oil people)
>>
>>144520224
Why do you ascribe cultural significance to sports are you retarded it’s literally just entertainment whenever I see hooligans beating each other up it amuses me because they are fighting for some Arab owned enterprises that exist to funnel money and nothing else. Do the achievements of a team belong to a city or the team if so then Minnesota has 5 NBA championships and the in the other way the Clippers have 18 nba championships
>>
File: autism exercise.png (46 KB, 639x480)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
that's a very basic example

now get a load of THIS
>>
>>144520357
What a fucking mess oh my god this relocation stuff is my least favourite thing about us sports fuck this so much
>>
>>144520478
theoretically it could happen to european soccer teams, one day
If the US becomes a big enough market and lets say the owner of Arsenal takes the team and all the players to Los Angeles, because he makes more money there
>>
Minnesota needs a new NBA team too and they can take back their titles from LA
>>
>>144520313
If there isn’t a single team operating continuously in a single place or city, then they have no history to claim. Anything else makes no sense
>>
>>144520224
>>new players, ownership, employees, location, building, everything
They kept the players though. KD played for them their last year in Seattle and also in OKC, for example.
>>
nothing shows how overrated and tenuous the nbas popularity is more than a team moving from Seattle to fucking Oklahoma City and it was a good move lol
>>
>>144520357
to me, the Winnipeg Jets history was 'frozen' from 1996-2011 and the new Jets inherited it once they returned
but the new Jets keep none of the Thrashers history, which is now frozen until Atlanta gets another Thrashers (could happen, who knows. it's a good name)

once a team relocates AND changes names, that history is gone/frozen
if a team relocates but keeps the name, it's a bit more murky and I'd say it's a case-by-case thing

Like the Raiders are all the same history despite being in 3 cities
but the Stars, formerly Minnesota North Stars, are completely new and the North Stars history is just defunct and not inherited by the Minnesota Wild
>>
>>144520224
You don't, as much as THEY would like you to believe it's possible. The Nu-Browns are separate from the Jim Brown Browns, and so they're the worst franchise in sports history
Once a fails in a city and has to move it should have to change its name and the previous one gets retired forever. If the city gets another team later it has to get a new name but it can put the old team(s) jerseys in the retired jerseys/numbers part of the stadium
>>
>>144521267
The Browns are a wild one

>Created by Paul Brown

>Paul Brown is ousted by Art Model

>out of Spite Paul Brown makes a new team called the Bengals using old Browns Jerseys

>years later the Browns leave Cleveland for Baltimore

>Baltimore's team the Colts very visibly left and took the history with them

>The Browns became the Ravens

>However before the Browns Cleveland had a team known as the Cleveland Indians who bought out the League founding team the Canton Bulldogs I'm 1924 The Bulldogs relocated to Detroit a founding NFL city becoming the Detroit Wolverines where they played 1 season before being bought by Tim Mara and merged with the New York Giants

>This is important because although Cleveland does not claim the history of the Bulldogs they do use a Bulldog as their mascot

>anyway 4 years after the Browns left and became the Ravens the new Browns expansion was created and sued for their old history which they won which has never happened since and was kind of unique as most NFL teams keep their history when they move Lions, Cardinals, Rams, Raiders, Titans
>>
This whole issue would be avoided if American sports fans weren't perpetual manchildren who obsessed over nicknames. Just call teams Seattle BC for basketball club instead having your identity as some zoom animal.
>>
>>144525023
Washington Football Team was there but they wanted to be the commanders instead.
>>
File: 234224456732.jpg (16 KB, 250x238)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>144524698
>>
>>144520357
Just call them the Winnipeg Jeets, it's an accurate reflection of the area and it's inclusive.
>>
>>144520513
Theoretically, maybe, but I don’t see it happening. The most likely cases would probably be Celtic and Rangers moving to the Premier League. But they wouldn’t leave Scotland because all their fans are still in Scotland. They might have foreign fans too, and if something amazing happened, they might even wind up with more foreign fans than Scottish ones. But those fans would all watch online, and it wouldn’t matter where the team was actually based, so what would be the point in moving?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.