[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pic7322524.jpg (134 KB, 1097x900)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Fine, I'll do it this time but you will suffer my shilling edition

Previous Thread: >>92478707

>Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/h8Tz2ze8

>ANONS TOP NINE BOARD GAMES
https://pastebin.com/jTvpg8bQ

>TQ
>What game did you like but didn't want to play again and why?
>What game did you find shit but did want to play again and why?

Also
>please wait a little while before making a new thread
>300 seconds
>haven't made a thread in weeks
What the fuck
>>
>>92537533
>Fine, I'll do it this time but you will suffer my shilling edition
I'm fine with it when the box art is so comfy.
>>What game did you like but didn't want to play again and why?
Nevsky. Shit is cool. But I don't have the brainpower for it.
>>What game did you find shit but did want to play again and why?
Splendor. So I could win, say gameplay sucks, and make us move on to something else.
Unfortunately that took something like 30 games.
>>300 seconds
>>haven't made a thread in weeks
They've done something to fuck over desktop users. Zero issue mobile posting, but make a thread on pc on any web browser and its good luck getting through.
>>
>>92537533
>Win in Pamir
>Sodomize one of the players that night
Can't stop winning
>>
>>92537602
It's the peshawar way
>captcha nb gmt
>>
So, Space Alert or Magic Maze?
>>
>>92537594
Oh you're completely correct, I haven't put the dots together but it only happens when I post on PC, once every session I think.

Web 2.0 and its consequences have been a desaster for the human race
>>
>>92537794
Go on, good chap
>>
>>92537794
Out with it!
>>
>>92537649
depends on if you like mostly open comms but hidden moves, or no comms and very visible moves that then have to become your comms
>>
File: file.png (498 KB, 891x600)
498 KB
498 KB PNG
anyone played it?
>>
>>92537794
Shhh, I want to hear what that frog hast to say this time
>>
File: 1712215630063062.jpg (60 KB, 640x480)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>92537650
>Web 2.0 and its consequences have been a desaster for the human race
I wonder how far Ted would go had he made it to our modern world.
>>
>>92538043
show me on the meeple where Lacerda touched you, anon.
>>
File: 1652009614009.jpg (319 KB, 634x606)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
>>92538055
Right here, your honour
>>
>>92538043
BASED
>>
>>92538043
Oh come on anon, Lacerda is a faggot but he really did nothing to deserve being mentioned in this list
>>
>>92538065
Ah, so he touched your heart (metaphorically), and now you wanna fuck him (sexually)? Damn anon, keep your fantasies to yourself.
>>92538238
Don't worry, anon is just horny.
>>
>>92538043
Based
see you in a day or two anon
>>
>>92538327
I just want time travel to be possible and party with a young Mark Herman.
Then carry his children.
Is that so hard to ask.
>>
>>92537943
I see too many boxes and I just don't care
>>
>>92538471
How are you planning to carry his children if ywnbaw
>>
>>92538043
(btw I just got the restock of all the lacerda games to my store wow can't wait to sell these big boys)
>>
>>92537533
>>What game did you like but didn't want to play again and why?
Spirits of the Forest. I had fun, but about halfway through the game I'd figured it all out and knew there was nothing else there.
I've never experienced this.
>>
>>92537533
Wingspan.
>>
>>92537533
I played Agricola once and I had a ton of fun, but I dont want to play it again. I heard Caverna is just the better version of the game.
>>
>>92537533
Sidereal confluence, because I suck at talking to people.
The Great Zimbabwe, though honestly almost any Splotter i've tried could fit. Mechanically simple, strategically difficult, first turn will royally fuck you over in some way or another EVERY TIME and yet it's the most fun european boxing match I've ever been in, a real slobberknocker and it doesn't even have combat, only a bid war (that's also a windfall to the poorer players at the table so it's a balancing mechanism as well)
>>
File: 1698921700541197.png (768 KB, 600x600)
768 KB
768 KB PNG
Damn, that God that gives you an extra point every time you get a point is fucking crazy.
>>
>>92538652
>but I dont want to play it again. I heard Caverna is just the better version of the game.
Do you not want to play it because you yourself don't wanna play, or just because someone said Caverna was better?
>>

Unironically Pax Renaissance. I HATED it at first and thought it was a pretentious mess. Then I started playing it more, got addicted to it and eventually reached top 5 rank on BGA.

Its a brilliant game, one of the best card games I know.
>>

Tzolkin is good...in theory I guess. I just dont enjoy playing it and it makes me feel stressed out and stupid.
>>
PaxRen would be 10x more approachable if the effects of ops and one-shots were on the cards instead of in the rulebook.
>>
>>92539386
Can't remember ~15 simple actions?
>>
>>92539386
The game is obscure but at least it keeps posers and women youtubers away?
>>
File: 1713446657563293.png (554 KB, 1300x710)
554 KB
554 KB PNG
>>92539386
>implying we want it to be more approachable
>>
>>92539419
I can but but some of my friends don't want to.
>>
>>92523828
>Who the fuck is turned off by Pax Pamir’s theme?
I love Pamir’s theme, a lot. But you really think most people want to play a game about the Middle East given the events happening right now?
>>
>>92537602
Elaborate.
>>
>>92539419
I more or less remember the general idea of what ops do but always have to check the player aid to make sure i know exactly the attackers and defenders and the cost (if any), Pax Ren is the kind of game where if you forget even a tiny detail your play is fucked
>>
>>92539747
You’re right, Afghans are no longer meta. We need a game about Houthis and Persians.
>>
>>92539747
They're pussies if not
>>
>>92539747
Dumbass if they were turned off by it, the great game has little to do with Israel and Palestine fighting yet again. And even if it did Wehrle is a sensitive good boy to put trigger warnings in his manuals, it's fine
>>
>>92537533
>TQ
The more games I play, the more fall into this category. I've liked the majority of games I've played, but most of them were "good enough, little desire to play again". Feld games sans a few exceptions were the epitome of that. Bonfire was well-designed, cheap, had great components and a lot to do and never want to play it again.
Cockroach poker is complete bullshit but it's fun. And, honestly, og dune is an absolute clusterfuck of design with the most incomplete ruleset I've ever witnessed. Yet it's top10 material.
>>
>>92538652
Caverna is not a better Agricola, it's just different
Agricola with card drafting is the better Agricola, when you go from starving and barely alive to an actually flourishing economy and engine with just 14 cards.
>>
>>92539747
if your players are so easily influence by [CURRENT EVENT] then just tell them "you can kill russians" and they'll love Pax Pamir
>>
>>92539747
I find it exceedingly strange someone would have any quarrels with a game set +100 years ago in a country that currently happens to be at war... let alone a country very roughly near a country that's at war now.
>>
>>92498872
The black exile visits every game in the geek top 100. Chapter 46

>>92509012
I told Leder documenting this journey would be great subliminal marketing but they did not care for it.
>>92537533
>TQ
Game of Thrones. Amazing design, loved it. Will never play it again when Battle for Rokugan gives me most of it in a quarter of the playtime
A small shitty game called Gretchinz that devir made for games workshop for some reason. Horribly imbalanced, kingmakey, lucky, you name it. Yet I still think about it every now and then and wonder if I should borrow a copy and give it another go.
>>
>>92540586
>Filename
Holy shit, I never put the two and two together and thought it was just rosenbergs megalomania after agricolas success
>>
File: 1645364907002.gif (6.1 MB, 640x356)
6.1 MB
6.1 MB GIF
>>92539747
>afghanistan
>middle east
Next you'll tell me your players moan how they can't connect playing as Arabs
>>
>>92540586
>The fist player to align the dice to his interest will yell “Waaagh!” and everybody else need to make do with the results they have on the table at that moment.
>Players hold the cards in their hand in such a way that they will not be able to see the relevant side of their hands (while the rest of the players can actually see the fire power of the rest of the opponents).
Well OK then.
>>
>>92540401
Not just that, they're actually quite ignorant for conflating the Afghanistan war with Israel-Palestine just because "hurr durr they're both muslims"
>>
File: 3196atrqf9m61.jpg (35 KB, 700x530)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
You ARE playing some WW2 boardgames on the 20th april, anon, aren't you?
>>
>>92541478
Eh, probably Bullet<3 or Argent
>>
>>92541478
no, but I will on 9th of May and 22nd of June for reasons you should be able to guess
thinking of giving Undaunted Stalingrad another go on TTS, even though it seems the only mod for it hasn't been updated and still has low quality book scans
>>
File: 1699629288138685.png (1.22 MB, 885x900)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
>TQ: Good
LotR LCG was one of my favorites until it made me realize I don't like deck construction (or at least, for 'puzzle' quests)
>TQ: Bad
Only one would be the Kenny G one because it was so quick and bad I had to make someone else suffer
>>
Just played my 3rd game of Rococo deluxe last night and it's really good so far. I only wish it was cheaper, eagle-gryphon is terrfied of having cheap games but it was a nice chridtmas gift.
>>
>>92537533
>>>What game did you like but didn't want to play again and why?
agricola, its a good WP game but the stress of having to feed everyone sucks. If you play very conservatively you wont do well, but if you take risks you might just get a bunch of hunger tokens andd then youre just fucked.

>shit
Ive played a few games I dont like for the sake of the group, but ive pursued it.

Speaking off. The group wants to start up oath again. I was the winner of last game so i was chancellor.
>have to hold the banner of secrets and the scepter
>my starting field has denizens that match my advisors, which means they cant steal the banner
>immediately my citizen starts mustering, I have to muster to prevent him from raping my
>as a result I dont have any actions, and I have to hide in my starting corner
>in the end I can buy him out, but then I still cant do shit becaue at this points others have secrets
>in the end everyone fucks eachother over and I can hold on till the end
>in the 3 and a half hours we played, I spent maybe 20 minutes on my turns, and it wasnt fun
>>
>play Pax Ren a few times two handed on TTS
>think I got the rules down
>sign up on BGA to play it with randos
>first game comes up
>Everything moves lightning fast chess timer of fucking 3 minutes
>wait what just happened?
>hardly any time to think the next moves, consider the market and my opponents tableau
>opponent styles on me with a Renaissance victory

Whew lad. I thought I was ready but getting dumpstered was to be expected.
Who plays PaxRen as their first game lol.
>>
>>92541983
That was the quintessential Oath experience for me as well. It became pretty clear pretty soon that the most interesting part of the game was just exploring the system and the least interesting part is actually playing the game; it ends in either a runaway leader, random roll victory or leader-hot-potato. A lot of cool ideas that are less than the sum of it's parts, I have come to believe that it's a truly horrible design. Or rather, I am very much not the target audience, but wonder who would be.
>>
>>92542100
Why on earth would you play real-time, anon? Real time is only for very light games or people who know the games and bga implementation VERY well. I also assume there's like 10-100x the audience for turn based pax ren
also to your lower right is a... I forgot what you call it, basically a protocol of what's happened in the game. I think mobile has a button to make it pop up.
>>
>>92542109
It didnt even feel good to win, I didnt have the feeling I was reshaping the land or something.

Also, the game is so needlessly convoluted I was wasting a lot of time figuring out what was even possible. The way you can attack lands, attack multiple lands, attack players, attack relics, and do a bunch of other shit (and depending on where the soldiers are things change even more) the amount of change is insane.

The guy that has it talks about how nice it is with the negotiating and the kingmaking aspect, But Im not feeling it. When I play kemet I feel there is more negotiation about how we're stopping someone from winning, and the game is a lot more straightforward fun. Same with Root. There you can have simple "we have to break the legs of the vagabond" discussions. Here its like "okay if you move to that place, do a search for the tree of secrets and tuck 3 coins into the edge of the inlay of the box you get 5 soldiers that let you roll 3.5 extra dice and then you can attack johnny in 5 different places and sacrifce 3 dudes and activate 2 denizens which sets me up for a win and ill give you citizenship
>>
>>92542146
>he thinks 3 minute turns is playing real time
>>
>>92541983
>everyone fucks eachother over and I can hold on till the end
You still haven't figured it out as a group
>>
>>92542146
Yeah I saw the protocol and it is definitely useful to track down what was happening. Reading protocol, and the board was pretty stressful.
As for why real-time. I just queued up and wanted to see where it gets me lol.
Definitely for the experienced player. Making your move in 1-2 minutes is a little bit too fast for my liking.
>>
>>92542100
Im down playing with you. We can play friendly mode (and if you go over time thats not a problem)
>>
>>92542185
2 players had a decent chance of pushing the victory for themselves so they didnt help eachother. A 3rd player was behind and tried to help one win, but I had enough units to prevent him from being effective since he was weak. They couldve won if they had one more turn but I rolled a 4
>>
>>92542203
Thank you anon, would love to but I'm pressed for time a little bit.
I'll post again when I'm more free.
>>
>>92542185
I'd phrase it this way
>Let's work together to make sure [next player to win] can't win
>Let's do this again for [next player to win]
>Let's do it again until either time runs out or someone says fuck it
Wehrle designed a fiendishly clever game; a game with a map, forces, abilites, a lot of cards and resources which are merely distraction from the actual game; a pure negotiation around ending the misery that is Oath.
I also continue to be baffled by the phrases uttered in oath's defense, especially the seemingly contradictory "It's not important who wins, if you can't win you just play to set up the win for next game".
>>
>>92542344
>Wehrle designed a fiendishly clever game; a game with a map, forces, abilites, a lot of cards and resources which are merely distraction from the actual game; a pure negotiation around ending the misery that is Oath.
If you think this is a good thing you must be sub-80 IQ.
>>
>>92542481
Anon, did you even read what you've quoted?
>>
play Oath a few more times and you'll start getting it. the combos are just as important as negotiating
it's full ameritrash dice chucker though, gotta accept how swingy defense dice are to enjoy it at all
>>
File: vomit tiger.webm (1.85 MB, 480x848)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB WEBM
>>92542691
>it's full ameritrash dice chucker though
The real negotiation will be setting up the other players to prevent oath from hitting the table at all
>>
>>92542711
>Oath is meant to be a metacomment about negotiation games
Wehrle must be furious at the good ratings it gets
>>
>>92541478
I got Salerno ‘43 ready to go
>>
>>92538905
Tfw patiently waiting for the master edition
>>
>>92537533
Bayonets & Tomahawks. It has some interesting ideas but its just too long for what it is. If I wanted an 8 hour long epic card driven wargame Paths of Glory and Empire of the Sun are both better and if I wanted a French & Indian War game then Wilderness War is a lot shorter.
Terraforming Mars. We played it without the prelude expansion because we didn’t know any better and I’d like to give it another chance.
>>
>>92539324
I'd still be willing to play it but my desire to play it has gone down. Mostly because people in my play group say they prefer Caverna as its less punishing to feed your family.

My wife doesn't enjoy direct conflict as much or hate drafting spaces so for now I have more interest in trying out Caverna than investing more time in Agricola. I still think Agricola is a great game, but I think I'd have to play it with sweaty players who enjoy drafting opening.
>>
Aegean sea fans, its been a year, how has the game held up?
>>
File: 1705506614632648.png (284 KB, 416x414)
284 KB
284 KB PNG
Have you ever won when playing with traps?
>>
>>92543692
very divisive for my groups
the Chudyk-pilled players love it, everyone who is meh on Mottainai HATES it more than any game I own
it's got a lot of depth, holds up to many plays. manifesting a Yucata implementation daily
>>
File: jewple.jpg (7 KB, 200x123)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>92540641
Don't worry, I didn't figure it out either, someone pointed it out
>>92542344
I think it gets extra hate here because /bgg/ wants to compensate for the undeserved (its a niche as fuck game) praise it gets elsewhere, but to be fair the things you posted happen in every single game with high interaction. Unless you're playing some multiplayer solitaire adjacent game
>the guy that is closer to winning will get targeted
>the guy that isn't targeted by anyone will probably win
>it's everyone's fault if X player steals the game you need to police the table
The difference is that instead of "oh you scored this many points" oath trice to give it a storytelling spin. The "It's not important who wins, if you can't win you just play to set up the win for next game" should instead be "if you can't win you should help someone win and enter the chronicle that way". It's like the collective storytelling in rpgs but instead of a gm you have a retarded complex game arbitrating what happens, and whoever wins gets to write the history books.
The only houserule we've added to this game, and it's only because it's the most backstab-happy group you'll see, it's that deals involving the chronicle are binding. If I steal this banner and help you win, you better make sure future generations know of the theft of the century.
>>
>>>92543918 https://i.4cdn.org/tg/1713488405957413.jpg
Yaoi hands.
>>
>>92543918
>trice
I honestly have no idea
*tries
>>
>>92543731
I don’t know any femboys so no
>>
>>92543918
Negotiation games tend to need some element of player immersion to really shine. Dune, Here I Stand, John Company, Sidereal Confluence, Europa Universalis, etc… all have that quality. You can set thematic goals for yourself even if you do not “win” and still feel satisfied with the experience.
I haven’t played Oath but it seems like the issue is that Oath can be that immersive experience to some but not to others.
>>
>>92543692
Didn't hold up 2 weeks. It's a wreck. Hands down one of the worst games I've played and I'm forced to play the most banal crowdfunded tripe on a weekly basis.

I like Innovation - play it a lot. But Aegean Sea isn't good at all and I haven't found a single person in the real world, myself included, that bought it and hasn't foisted it off on some other fool for $10 at this point.
>>
>>92539763
It's a houserule that if the game ends and you're in last place by >4 VP, the winner gets to fuck you up the ass.
Nah just kidding I played with GF and a couple friends and won by having Griboyedov. Card is OP. GF is buttslut.
>>
>>92539897
>>92540401
>>92540552
None of you are wrong, but all it takes is someone seeing the word "Russia" on a dial that dictates your alliance for someone to be reminded of shitty things happening in the world, and I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to be reminded of those things when playing a board game, even one as amazing as Pamir.

>>92541330
Persia is a region on the map, retard
>>
File: Perfection.jpg (363 KB, 2398x1982)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
>>92545306
nigga what kind of gaming friends do you have that the name of a country can send them into hysterics
What do they see "perfection" and go
>oh fuck perfection is a race to beat the timer, Hitler wanted a perfect race I'm panicking
>>
>>92541832
>I don't like deck construction
Gay. I bet you are one of those deck building sickos.
>>
>tfw raped so hard in millennium blades i ended a tournament with 14RP
>>
>>92544344
Wherle maeks good games so Oath is probably a good game.
>>
>>92546032
Everything he makes is totally overwrought for my tastes. Root is the worst because I have my arm twisted to play it frequently by the wife contingent. He will probably never make anything I enjoy enough to acquire. That said, I have a relatively low minutiae threshold in board games I would rather play a pc 4x or xcom style strategy game for turbo autism that also keeps out of my way. As opposed to Werle with 100 different colour coded gibbets to represent the different penetration level of shrapnel from fuzzy wuzzy the racoon's pinecone bomb because of it being played on the blue moon phase in the 1943 dam buster scenario where the moral lesson is to choose a different name for your black labrador.
>>
>>92546218
And just to cut off the probable observation about him not doing anything with too many tokens or meeples: yeah, I know, it was a humorous attempt at highlighting his attempts to add immersive elements at the cost of reduced practicality and increased rules overhead. Objectively his designs are pretty elegant but just go too far into the weeds and immersion for a guy who doesn't get immersed so much as enjoy coherent mechanic translations of the inspirations.
>>
>>92543669
>Mostly because people in my play group say they prefer Caverna as its less punishing to feed your family.
That's one of the reasons it's worse.
>>
>>92545306
>Persia is a region on the map, retard
Yes, the eastern-most part of Persia has given name to one province in PP. The conflicts are still totally unrelated. What's your point?
>all it takes is someone seeing the word "Russia" on a dial that dictates your alliance for someone to be reminded of shitty things happening in the world
How far up their asses are their heads, really? They don't really sound like people I'd play PP with ever, maybe Catan is more their speed.
>>
>>92545778
in fact, secret hitler, the game where you get to play as hitler, is very popular among normies
>>
>>92546478
Yes but they put angel wings and halos on the liberal cards (Don't you DARE question what they were doing in real life to prompt a Hitler as a response though) so it makes you feel good for taking down the big bad meanie man
>>
>guy fighting a war in his own head over his nonexistent game group having a freak out over Russia even FEATURING in Pax Pamir starts ranting about how Hitler was right
How unexpected!
>>
>>92546627
Not that anon but I am not sure where you got that all from
>>
File: IMG_3591.png (168 KB, 1360x598)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
lord
>>
>>92543731
yes
>>
>>92537533
I don't think any game is shit but I had really bad experience with one of the T.I.M.E Stories which Ive tried at board game club. The game did not give enough details to make educated guess what exactly Im after, where I might want to try to find that or get information about. Basically a point-and-click way you trigger almost everything and some might give you useful information or open additional place you can visit where you start again try all your option mostly till you run out of time or success. It was also important to trigger events in right order to able to get some new path and not run out from time either. The final puzzle didn't really make sense and either you collected enough clue to solve it or you failed.
While the general idea of the game might appealing to me the game I have played with triggered constant fustration instead of fun. Played the same scenario twice, run out of time and did not find the way to the end. Then out of gameplay have tried to backtrack from the end how could we get to that card and have checked the final puzzle which again could not crack. None of the game elements gave me pleasure. Aimlessly checking everyone and everything then realizing something still hidden and nothing else to check so going back some persons and trying different dialog..
I accept some people find fun in this kind of game, for me it could be fun if I could feel that I have enough information regarding what am I actually looking for and what could make sense.
>>
>>92543918
>>92544344
I would be down for a thematic experience but for some reason the game just feels really convoluted to play.
>>
>>92547060
>1-2 hours
lmao, Ive had that piece of shit hold me captive for 4 hours.
>>
File: file.jpg (617 KB, 1360x2391)
617 KB
617 KB JPG
>>92547343
forgot pic
>>
>>92546283
>>92546218
I agree in the sense that I feel like wehrle twists mechanics until they go from tried and true to some twisted for of novelty which ulitmately accomplishes similar goals but adds mental load. Not inherently a bad thing because, frankly, experimenting around will eventually lead to something cool. But for every cool idea wherle has (and he has plenty) there's a questionable decision. I can't figure that guy out, he's always near designing something both great and unique yet I end up disliking all his games. For example, why does he insist on the antiquated method of having players play their entire turn at once, then sit and wait.
>>
>>92546627
Having seen some anons bookshelves here, I am as shocked as you are.
>>
>>92545306
>None of you are wrong, but all it takes is someone seeing the word "Russia" on a dial that dictates your alliance for someone to be reminded of shitty things happening in the world
The other week I learned a classmate is also super into board games. When he saw I owned Twilight Struggle he got all excited. He hasnt been able to play it in years as all of his friends are hard leftists and refuse to play as the US.
I dont get it, my core TS buddies are anarchists and Marxists and they couldn't give a fuck about the problems behind themes. We play Profiteers and John Company, ffs. Some people make different connections.
>>
>>92547527
Come on nigger
>>
>>92547828
What do you want, faggot, the chat logs?
Some people can play games whose themes or "politics" go completely against their views and they enjoy themselves. Others cant make that leap.
I play with people that share my values and others that don't. We get along fine as the goal is to enjoy games and each others company. I'm fortunate to not be in that other dudes shoes.
>>
>>92547899
>evil leftists are refusing to play board games with this guy I know, I swear!
>>
>>92547911
Anon, you keep not reading the posts you respond to
>>
>>92547911
Where did i use that description, evil?
Dude is sad he can't play a game he loves. People in his circle that share his beliefs don't want to play that particular game.
Same as dumb anons here that cant into games because the theme or art is cancerous in their eyes.
The monarchist in my group should be down to play pax pamir. Instead he sees it as too complex and doesn't understand why the rest of us enjoy it. To me a mechanical dislike is more reasonable than losing one's shit because of what the game designer said on Twitter or how they canvassed playtesters
>>
>>92546413
>The conflicts are still totally unrelated.
Who just bombed Israel you absolute retard?

>maybe Catan is more their speed
Exactly. That’s the issue. People don’t want to think about modern conflicts when playing a board game
>>
>>92545778
I had some faggot refuse to play Pamir because he sympathized with the Afghans. And that’s a guy who is really into gaming. Now imagine the vast majority of people who have no idea what the Great Game is, and you’re looking at an uphill battle trying to get people into a game that’s already fairly difficult.
OR
>you play as bankers in the renaissance steering European culture in a direction of your choice
>>
>>92546627
Those are two different people. And the wild sensitivities of people are not in my head, unfortunately. I played with someone who KNEW a Ukrainianx, which made them not want to play Pamir because they didn’t want to side with 19th century Russians. You have no idea how retarded people can be
>>
File: 1661790285328296.gif (6 MB, 640x512)
6 MB
6 MB GIF
>>92548273
>I had some faggot refuse to play Pamir because he sympathized with the Afghans.
>A game about empowering afghans by asking players to engage from the pov of the sub altern.
>I cant do this
>>
>>92548355
That’s exactly what I told him. He shrugged.
>>
>>92545306
>>92547527
I always find thought these stereotypical lefties and rightoids only existed in american political culture as a boogeyman. I know noone who wouldn't play a game because of some aspect of it's theme. Being a group of mostly left leaning people doesn't prevent us form making holocaust jokes and calling each other slurs. When did politics and everything become strictly binary.

BOARDGAMES

>>92547060
I continuously wonder who on earth would buy this, but then I remember the nesting box. Could steve jackson outstonemaier jamey?
>>
File: 1690062307444247.png (48 KB, 394x406)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>92548900
>Could steve jackson outstonemaier jamey?
They fucking WISH
>>
>>92548900
>>I continuously wonder who on earth would buy this, but then I remember the nesting box. Could steve jackson outstonemaier jamey?
its already well over its target goal. I thought it was 600k in pledges. And, as garbage as munchkin deluxe is, its at least a game, not just an box devoid of birds.
>>
>>92548233
No, you're making this shit up. No one is going to see "Persia" on the edge of Pamir's map and freak out. People that stupid won't even draw the connection between Iran and Persia.
>>
>>92548939
That remains up to debate.
>A 70 dollar box devoid of birds
>A 125 dollar box full of munchkin
Pick your poison
>>
>>92548233
To add a little bit more to this, the equivalent of your example is someone seeing "The Settlers of Catan" and going "ugh.... that reminds me of the Israeli settlers on the west bank". Only literally mentally ill people think like that, and should simply be avoided
>>
>>92549093
funny you say that, french doesnt have a word for settlers, just for colonists, so its called colonists of catan.
>>
I want to get a playmat. Does the 5mm thick one make a significant difference over the 3mm one?
>>
File: 1709138954008978.png (266 KB, 1436x500)
266 KB
266 KB PNG
>>92545788
>>
>>92549065
I wish I was. And by your logic, stupid people will also see “Afghanistan” and equate it with the entire middle east. Moron
>>
File: versus.jpg (479 KB, 2500x1248)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>>
>>92549093
It’s funny you say that, because I called the guy out on his reasoning for playing Catan when it features colonialists and he said “well that was a long time ago and it’s not really part of the game”
>>
>>92549240
>And by your logic, stupid people will also see “Afghanistan” and equate it with the entire middle east
But they do. We have anons itt doing just that.
>captcha: a joy
>>
i will never play pax pamir because when i see Persia on the battle map i am reminded of Prince of Persia and how my favorite exploration game got ruined and turned into a streamlined run-here-stab-baddies franchise and the hate makes me unable to even do anything beyond go back home and punch my punching bag with ubisofts' logo printed out and taped to it
>>
>>92549298
for me, its warrior within
>>
File: 1710655767248892.jpg (7 KB, 199x254)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>92549298
Are you telling me to commission Cole to design a PoP board game?
>>
I want you to close your eyes pick whatever game you enjoy that has assymetrical powers/factions/unique characters and is pvp.
Ok now open your eyes..
What is your most despised/dreaded matchup in that game?
If I stroll up to another Saine/Tokoyo matchup something nefarious will happen to a sack full of kittens.
>>
>>92547392
what if i told you that Arcs has a turn structure more in line with your preference
John Company also has a pretty good turn structure, since it's procedural through a bunch of different phases the game always moves. and ideally you have your hand in a lot of cookie jars anyways
>>
>>92548273
But the Afghans are a faction in the game you can choose to align with, supporting their independence movement.
>>
>>92549146
>he also likes weebshit
Like pottery.
>>
>>92549085
Theoretically, by using my imagination, I could have fun with the empty box.
>>
>>92549298
See at least this one is believable.
>>
File: 1658756072042396.jpg (2.15 MB, 3264x1952)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>92550650
>>he also likes weebshit
Based.
>>
>>92547343
Rookie numbers. Come back when you have hit 6-7.
>>
File: 47 - poutine.png (2.7 MB, 1536x967)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB PNG
>>92540586
The black exile visits every game in the geek top 100. Chapter 47
>>
>>92550697
>posts a pic of a deck construction game
The irony.
>>
>>92550729
This one, I love.
>>
Goddamnit /bgg/, I will never not laugh at the "70 dollars for a lack/absence of birds?!" phrase
>>
>>92550729
cork in hole is my least favorite game how is it number 47
my stepdad play it with my hole and a cork all the time and it hurts to poop afterward
>>
>>92550729
Extremely based
>>
>>92550729
How.
How do you outdo yourself.
Heed my warning on ordering poutine in the boonies. I once sat at a bar in the BC interior, it was on the menu. The bartender saw from my ID I was used to the real deal, she was from Ontario and warned me: you sure you want that? Its not made how you're used to. Whatever lady, I'm hungry and want a bite of home. The cheese...they used string cheese.
>>
What will happen when the Black Exile completes his journey?
>>
File: 1564628366568.gif (3.76 MB, 500x473)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB GIF
>>92550861
A wholesome retirement, watching the next generation spread their wings and fly.
>>
File: EIUcmCkXUAE0ScU.jpg (85 KB, 680x679)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>92550861
He will turn into his final form, take over wehrlegig and announce a merger with stonemaier/blackrock
>>
File: 1707174377118068.jpg (112 KB, 1080x1126)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>92550920
>He will turn into his final form, take over wehrlegig
Aight, cool. Well deserved.
>and announce a merger with stonemaier/blackrock
He wouldn't. He couldn't. Right?
>>
File: 1688416628564136.gif (1.39 MB, 640x502)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB GIF
>>92550729
The giant maple leaf in the background is the cream of the crop, well done
>>
>>92550192
just allow a single ban for each player before picking girls.
>>
File: Jensen3.jpg (58 KB, 1036x720)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>92550729
Based on the seating, the black exile is flicking black discs.
Unintentional brilliance?
>>
>>92550713
I deliberately let someone win by not playing a -attack card.
>>
>>92550650
I gifted Mottainai to someone and they got really excited because it was "Japanese"
Same person hated Deep Sea Adventure, which *is* Japanese
>>
>>92550742
>>92550772
>>92550804
>>92551012
Thanks bros.
>>92551073
Absolutely unintentional, but I'll take it
>>
Got my Zoo Vadis.
>>
>>92551821
Lucky fucker, I contacted allplay and they'll send mine in May apparently
>>
File: 1562347711897.jpg (34 KB, 496x600)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>92550735
Pardon, I can't keep track of all the things that upset you.
>>
>>92551821
finally! jeez anon i've been holding back from posting about it because i felt bad for you
post thoughts when you get it played
>>
>>92550192
use the tournament rules of pick 3 opponent bans 1
also how is it a horrible fight against those two? just run ice gir and freeze all of their aura and also stun/flinch them down to 0 vigor, ezpz fight
>>
>>92552729
>>92551060
Thanks for suggestion. I will try this next time.
What are your least favorite megami?
>>
>>92552796
i havent played enough to have a true least favorite but the shadow girl is kinda silly, as a lot of tokens from distance and life eventually end up in shadow, thus her ult that cares about shadow being full of tokens becomes max powered, and is pretty much always guaranteed damage in the endgame, and having a guaranteed finisher is important for winning consistently
>>
>>92550729
Bu.. But how can you tell that the Black Exile is Canadian?

Zing!!!
>>
bought some card sleeves today, wish me luck
>>
File: 3005651p5.jpg (545 KB, 600x857)
545 KB
545 KB JPG
>>92553251
>>
>>92553289
I sleeved bunny kingdom, it's expansion, and the three imperium games in a sitting
I don't get this meme
>>
>>92553289
>OP, Im afraid Ive been sleeving
>A dangerous pastime
>I know
>but that wacky anons back is healing
>My protection is only so-so
>>
>>92553364
>Now the wheels in my head have been turning
>Since I looked at that toploaded card
>See, I've promised myself I'd be playing tonight
>And so now I'm getting pretty hard!
>>
File: cargo shorts anon.png (811 KB, 1800x1500)
811 KB
811 KB PNG
>>92553334
>I don't get this meme
Half a year ago anon came here to blogpost about a repetitive strain injury. The ultimate cause was years of sedentary life with poor posture, diet, and sleep but the injury happened while sleeving cards.
https://desuarchive.org/tg/thread/89967475/#89993161
>>
>>92553519
>nooooooo
>oooonnneeeees
>HUNCHED like anon!
>can time CRUNCH like anon!
>in loli sleeves, none have a BUNCH like anon!
>I'm especially good at coin capsul-ating!
>My muscles so spry, anooooon!
>>
>>92553710
>WHEN I WAS A LAD I SLEEVED FOUR DOZEN DECKS
>TO HELP ME WHEN SHUFF-EH-LING CARDS
>AND NOW THAT I'M GROWN I SLEEVE FIVE THOUSAND DECKS
>SO MY BACK IS IN-CRED-IB-LY SCARRED!
>>
sleeved cards are harder to shuffle
>>
>>92553754
He lied as easily as he sleeved.
>>
File: 1594175917614.png (137 KB, 458x302)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>92553745
God DAMN it man I wish I was half as clever.
>>
File: commissions.png (72 KB, 256x467)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>92549336
>>
i slipped a disc
>>
File: 1690797783378838.png (62 KB, 1056x816)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
I forgot I wasted time "transcribing" the new Castle of Burgundy solo bot stuff
Can't remember how off I was on the sizing but I'll upload it here
>>
File: 1693817779298787.png (174 KB, 816x1056)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>92554258
And the cards, no clue why it saved transparency, save that shit as a jpg I guess
>>
File: Idiot anon take 5.jpg (2.88 MB, 3024x3024)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
What a shit board state. Seen worse? I haven't.
>>
>>92554300
how does this keep happening to you?
>>
>>92551821
Tracking says mine will come in on Sunday which feels optimistic, but hey at least it's finally in transit after paying for it back in September.
Now the REAL question is when will the Eclipse expansions ship, Lautepelit delayed them AGAIN
>>
File: 1709273849460538.jpg (54 KB, 600x340)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>92554318
Not me, anon needs reminding how much a fuckup he is. None worse.
>>
>>92554349
Mine was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow but I just showed up and asked for it at the post office today because I wasn't gonna be home then.
>>
What's the most politically incorrect board game out there? Published I mean. The shit you created in your basement doesn't count lol
>>
>>92554986
Profiteers is not a game you should play the night before going on a date with a black woman. Especially if she then asks for more details on what exactly you mean by funding both sides of the American Civil War.
>>
>>92554986
Barbarossa and El Alamein
>>
>>92554986
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11102/juden-raus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_board_games
>Juden Raus is a commercial boardgame rather than a Nazi propaganda effort,[8] and contains no Nazi symbolism.[9] The game was criticised by the SS journal Das Schwarze Korps, which believed the game trivialised anti-Semitic policies.[9]
>>
>>92555047
It's not really politically incorrect though
>>
File: 1692242109548.jpg (31 KB, 697x468)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>92554986
>>
>>92551821
will I like zoo vadis if i dont like talking to people
>>
>>92555650
there's a solid amount of positioning optimization you can do in the game to minimize the need for cooperation and maximize leverage over other players. ultimately though you risk being blocked from the win entirely if you don't make the right deals
>>
>>92549130
No. Do not get one with a printed theme on it - get one with a solid color.
>>
>>92554300
It's not insurmountable but depends on where in the game you're at - if you're early then hopefully you've played cards to enrich SEA and some spots in ME so you're not completely screwed.

Going all in and trying to chase down someone that's building a big lead in Europe is a fools game - all you should do is keep them from scoring an outright victory and limit their points and play ops in mid or late game spots so they have to spend a bunch of time putting out fires everywhere and you'll have time to clear out Europe then.
>>
File: 1713507883593017.png (389 KB, 640x480)
389 KB
389 KB PNG
>>92554986
Yeah if you don't have the gulag tag
>WARNING: This game is considered offensive by many and is part of the BGG database for completeness
like >>92555124 does
it's not offensive enough
>>
>>92554300
Anon, you've literally turned the world upside down! WTF!?!
>>
File: 1585014247567.jpg (428 KB, 900x1200)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
>>92554986
>>92555072
if card games count, I raise you DismembR
>>
>>92554986
>What's the most politically incorrect board game out there?

Kittens in a blender
Consentacles
Black Orchestra (Just ask /pol/.)
Five Tribes - first edition
>>
>>92540641
right up there with the action of the church in le havre
>>
>hear about game
>think it might be fun
>look into it more
>75% of the game is locked behind Kikesharter exclusives
>didn’t back the game 3 years ago? Tough shit it’s never going to be available again
>completionist tism kicks in
>lose all interest in game
I hate when this happens. Yeah it’s perfectly playable without any expansions or extra bits or whatever it may be but knowing I don’t even have the option of upgrading down the road completely turns me off
>>
>>92545306
i actually met people at a game night who had problems with the "colonialism" in puerto rico. i thought those people only existed on the gulag
>>
>>92556397
Should be Asanagi art
>>
>>92556413
How is consentacles politically incorrect? "Consent" is right in the title, it's all about love transcending barriers.
Never heard of Kittens in a blender or Black Orchestra, what are those games like?
>>
>>92556577
Tough shit it’s never going to be available again
>>
File: OIP(99).jpg (39 KB, 474x355)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>92556397
lol
you are small time.
>>
>>92556535
That one I found funny but obvious
>>
>>92556720
A girl's underwear is NOT as controversial as fucking dismembering them anon, you can see underwear models at almost any clothing store openly meanwhile most gore sites are shut down now
>>
>>92556815
the girls in tan pan are clearly undrr age.
>>
>>92556828
https://haven-games.jimdofree.com/ボードゲーム/
>>
File: OIP(39).jpg (48 KB, 474x604)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>92556856
okay and?
>>
>>92556886
And >>92556815's point was that the skirt flipping game is more taboo than the ryona game because the characters in the skirt flipping game are minors. But the character in the ryona game is also a minor.
>>
>>92556397
This one isn’t even listed on the gulag.
>>
>>92557061
I wonder why.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dv-9gsCU0AAFaa_?format=jpg&name=large
>>
>>92556397
>>92557121
WTF LMAO
>>
>>92554300
assuming europe scoring already happened, and US's position in the ME and asia are better, it is salvageable. Just pump all your influence into W germany and france. I assume that you got blockaded, which means you didnt spend a card on preventing it from happening, which means you have more ops than youre supposed to have
>>
Man these always make me want to pick up TS
But alas, since my 1v1 bro moved an hour away we are almost exclusively 3-6p and I don't see that changing. It's already harsh enough I only get to play WotR twice a year
>>
File: 1709542366089791.jpg (112 KB, 623x630)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>92558487
same situation
>>
>>92557121
I knew what it was going to be, and I clicked on it anyway. I wish I hadn’t, but I did.
>>
Startup lads, get in here!
https://youtu.be/aQRmhy2UD4U?si=xMxyz3voOcBYqa2y
>>
>>92559440
Lol, how bored can someone be to make this?
>>
>>92553754
objectively incorrect
>sleeves are slippery so mash-shuffle is easier
>the tips are made for bending but not breaking, making variants of the "cut the deck in two parts and slam them together" shuffle easier
>does not make cards less bendy, does let them return to form easier, making variants ofthe riffle shuffle easier
>>
>>92559704
Mash shuffle is a horrible shuffle and the corners of cards catch in the sleeve openings of other cards if you aren't careful to keep all your cards oriented the same way. Have fun being the guy who chides their friends for not rotating their cards 180° when setting them on the discard pile.
>>
>>92559807
fair but with other shuffle methods being faster and easier why would you ever mash shuffle?
>>
>>92559844
You wouldn't. I'm telling off >>92559704
>>
File: chad 2.jpg (723 KB, 1440x1800)
723 KB
723 KB JPG
>play some other guy's game
>he's a sleever
>try to shuffle
>cards slip all over the place
>scoop up the card with both hands
>throw them all a nearby wall
>pick the cards up in random order
>deck is perfectly shuffled
>>
>>92559905
and the cards are in perfect health still, protected by the sleeves :)
>>
File: IMG_20240420_174423.jpg (1.12 MB, 4032x2268)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
New 'nizia 'ino just arrived in mail. Got it second hand for 10 eurobucks. Good as new.
>>
>>92560152
Ya i got my golem edition copy on sale for 10 loonies
Its been good shit.
>>
>>92550729
The black exile visits every game in the geek top 100. Chapter 48

>>92560152
Is this good? I can get the deer version for cheap, but I'm always wary of random knizias. The doctor really loves to put out games that are better as an idea than an actual game.
>>
>>92560228
>Is this good? I can get the deer version for cheap, but I'm always wary of random knizias
Ya, its good. Plenty of hedging bets, trying to spread out bids and bluffing secret bids. I see dna of modern art in the table having control over triggering end of round, and you need to consider that with every card play especially towards late game.
>>92560228
>hes mad now
We are so fucked
>next panel
Oh right, hes literally just a small piece of wood.
>>
>>92560228
>BR is on 48
I remember it being at 12 or something. Peak kickstarter BS. Good to see it drop this much, should drop even further.

>is this good
I played it on BGA and had a lot of fun with it. So its a safe purchase for me. That said, its best with 3, I played it at 5 once and it was really random since there is so much time between each of your turns. At 3 however it is a lot of fun. The yelling as two players are dropping cards trying to save their species they went balls deep bidding for, praying you get enough cards to save your secret bid. Its fun
>>
>>92560152
>'nizia 'ino
Enjoy your slop, I guess
>>
File: 1695256529725004.png (549 KB, 551x615)
549 KB
549 KB PNG
>>92559905
>Deck keeps sliding off because of how new the sleeves are
>Make fun of him for sleeving all his game but rarely if ever playing any of them
>He stays silent the rest of the night
>>
>>92560282
/bgg/ is a knizia general.
>>
>>92560373
Sell me on Equinox over Colossal Arena, Galaxy: The Dark Ages, and Grand National Derby.
>>
>>92560392
CA and GND are also knizias
>>
>>92560434
Anon all 4 of them are Knizias and all 4 of them are the same game rethemed with minor changes.
>>
>>92560228
Love the board positioning.
>>
>>92560450
And we're a knizia general that love all of them. equinox just happened to be the one I could get for cheap
>>
>>92557121
What are even the rules for this? Try to cut off as many limbs as possible before she dies? Are the red cubes blood loss?
>>
File: wut.png (267 KB, 1083x268)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>92560281
Oh nice I can try it on boardgameare- oh
>>
>>92560957
Perhaps the same could be said of all Knizias
>>
>>92560854
I don't know the rules but according to the synopsis you get points for beating her up.
The game has two end game conditions, one of them is the girl dying.
You want to have the most points if she lives or the second most points if she dies.

So it's a balancing act chicken game where you want to either be in second place by a wide enough margin that you can kill her without going to first place or you want to be in first place by a narrow enough margin that second place can't do that.
The gameplay seems to limit player options based on what cards they have in the hand. I'm not sure how these cards get drafted.
>>
>>92560957
it's because equinox recently passed
>>
>>92561130
Is this the most fucked up Japanese board game? Can we go deeper?
>>
File: 1691446814299713.png (651 KB, 1200x288)
651 KB
651 KB PNG
>If COIN does it, so can I
>>
>>92561223
>key
heh
>>
>>92561223
Kill whoever wrote this.
>>
>>92561223
what game?
>>
File: DRAKON example.png (50 KB, 1250x1112)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>92561290
The only part of this that offends me is that arrow direction isn't married to arrow meaning.

>>92561337
https://www.google.com/search?q=keyple+keyper+keyp
>>
>>92560228
>the angry eyes
cute!
>>
I would like to acquire one of the Nemesis games. Would you recommend the original or lockdown? there is a significant price difference so I wonder if its worth going for Lockdown
>>
>>92562245
You could also probably still late back the new one.
>>
File: 1704680338975766.png (1001 KB, 1024x740)
1001 KB
1001 KB PNG
autistic question, but homebrewing a concept that has a small deck (7-9 cards) that don't have much information but will shuffle relatively often
I want the cards to be smaller but Mini Euros are so fiddly to shuffle.
Assuming I don't go custom, think I should go for Catan 54x80? Just jump up to Bridge size?
>>
>>92562388
>Assuming I don't go custom, think I should go for Catan 54x80? Just jump up to Bridge size?
Any particular reason you want them to be small? Catan size is great for games where cards will be placed side by side and you don't want it to take the whole table. I own ex libris and canopy at that size and they do a good job
>>
>>92562388
holy shit why are card producers so stupid
>>
File: 1688751307685357.png (1.48 MB, 931x698)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
>>92562444
I'm doing the amateur mistake of having cards played onto the board so the smaller they are, the smaller the overall board
Not that it's impossible or wrong to play the bigger cards to the side
>>
>>92562447
I have yet to find two decks of "Patience size" playing cards with the same dimensions.
>>
I'm looking for a kid-friendly but still fun for adults substitute for Marvel Champions. My nephew loves the game and has a surprisingly good grasp of it, but he's still in single digits so when something slips his mind he gets more frustrated than I'm willing to put up with. I have Sentinels of the Multiverse, but he's not interested in OCs and I figure a proper board game would be simpler than something that's all cards.
>>
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=paxrenaissance
any anons playing on bga?

I played pamir on bga, then yesterday I tried it IRL for the first time. It's much easier to get a feel for the market IRL, the cards are much larger and so on, so much that I'd rather not play it digitally again. I hate complex and large boards on screens. Fuck scrolling.
>>
>>92563076
>looking at a realtime pax ren game
holy shit so many cards and so much to consider

i love that the game uses chess pieces, though
>>
>>92562564
>but he's still in single digits
arent children over 10 IQ already from the age of 3? or is this a fahrenheit thing
>>
>>92562564
Marvel United for cooperative capeshit
>>
>>92563076
I offered to play yesterday, but unfortunately I have a headache and was about to go to bed. Sorry anon.
>>
File: two monitors.png (16 KB, 647x346)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>92563076
Do you not have a vertical monitor?
>>
>>92563254
Single monitor at home.
>>
>>92563285
...which is retarded and cannot rotate
>>
>>92560228
>Is this good?
The gameplay is pretty fun. The components are a bit excessive, to the point that I'd almost be tempted to rather just print a custom version with mpc, the tarot cards take a lot of table space considering you have to make this huge ass grid of them. Dramatically different with various player counts, game ends in what feels very prematurely with 5. Mechanically it is excellent though.
>>
>>92562500
That looks intriguing, at least artworkwise. Wanna shill it to me? Why is it not standard euro slop?
>>92563076
>I hate complex and large boards on screens. Fuck scrolling.
I get that but you don't really have to scroll on pc?
>>
>>92563524
Oh pic isn't mine, just happens to be somewhat close to my idea
It's Apistocracy, uses poker cards to take actions but you can do some neat stuff with wilds and what not. Still looks a bit bloated with the bee theme slapped on (even if historical) and the fact the game culminates in an actual game of whist may fall entirely flat, but I've been saying for a while now that Victorian games (that aren't steampunk) are a weirdly unfulfilled niche
>>
>>92563524
>I get that but you don't really have to scroll on pc?
>>
File: 02a.jpg (19 KB, 335x270)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>92563747
44psb
>>
>>92563747
vertical monitor is great, I'll have to upgrade at some point

but now, on your right, try reading a card...or discern a symbol, that is perhaps possible?
>>
>>92563747
>>92563815
oh, nevermind, I didn't read the image title, you just proved my point, fellow anon
>>
>>92563747
There are many reasons why zul is my most played game on BGA
>>
>>92563851
>zul
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&q=zul&objecttype=boardgame
>>
File: pic139412[1].jpg (56 KB, 424x600)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>92563858
>cultural appropriation
>>
File: 1713548141495.gif (307 KB, 480x270)
307 KB
307 KB GIF
>>92563815
I can make out everything except the text on abilities, the sub-symbols on ops (which market to take money from, which bishops to inquire with, etc.), and which non-religious prestige is which (they're all white blobs).
For those I have to use the hover-over card details.
It's not ideal, but seeing the map, market, and tableaus all at once is better than scrolling to see each one separately.
>>
>>92563858
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&q=gric&objecttype=boardgame
>>
>>92563747
IS THAT STOCK GNOME?
>>
>>92561130
I bet it's a trick taking game.
>>
>>92563076
I have BGA's layout, it's basically heaven to play so many games but I can't deal with the click>confirm you must do all the time. Luckily I can play Pax Ren at any playercount wherever I hang out with any of my friends.
>>
>>92562245
I have the OG and really enjoy it. It's definitely more of an experience game, lot of it comes down to luck and decision-making more than clever plays. Love the possible traitor mechanic though, it really makes the game feel kike the first movie. Just snagged the Aftermath expansion off the kickstarter and am looking forward to that.
All that said, my group and I have only played it about 5 times over like 3 years. I personally think it was worth the cost as we will play it again, and it's always a fun time, but ymmv.
>>
Welcome dear friends to another episode of slop or not!
Today we take a look at Ludus Magnus' new(ish) creation, Black Rose Wars: Rebirth!
First of all, I got this one for like half price used. And when I say "used" I mean some poor autismo only opened the game and only then realized he has no friends. And I of got it with a "this is likely gonna be slop" mindset, but I was really in the mood for some spellslinging skirmish game; and there was some part in me that hoped it might turn out to be a mage wars for 4 in a managable time period.
So how's the game? First of all, for a supposedly very thematic game, some things are weird, likely because in best ks-slop style, everything has to be backwards compatible with the og BRW... so even though all rooms start destroyed, your spells still cause "instability" which for some reason magically repairs the rooms. I was afraid the rulebook would leave massive, massive holes like the gulag inmates wrote, but I was pleasantly suprised that there was very, very few unclear things. Which is good because I utterly fucking hate vague and incomplete rules. I don't want to go too deep in what you're doing, but suffice it to say the game is, to my extreme shock, good. Even very good. It is far more strategic than I thought, far less lolrandom spellslinging (though you can do this and still have fun) whilst still being tactics first, and the adrenaline-esque damage system really works well. Some schools of magic seem much better than others, and while that annoyed me initially, it is not a problem because, guess what, you can build your deck out of whatever schools you want. Being only one player that uses nightmare school SUCKS. If there are 2 players using it...well, the spells get vastly better. As you decide how to develop your deck after each round (and get the new spells directly into your hand) this really opens up clever reactive plays. Plus the Black Rose that works as a game timer is no joke. 1/2
>>
File: 20240420_210714.jpg (2.73 MB, 2973x2871)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
Fuck the French, tabarnac!
>>
File: pic8114297.jpg (134 KB, 675x900)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>92564975
>cont.
(...) is no joke. It really fucked our shit up and once won (meaning everybody loses) and once was barely defeated. There's a lot of variety in the basegame and a lot to try out. We played two games that felt radically different, and I got the impression that the best player will win most of the time, which isn't something I expected and I dig. And, speaking of time, we had the second game down in 2h with 3p which I thought was phenomenal for how big it felt.
What I liked less was how the plastic thingies you use to mark the owner of a mini (why did they not use silicone like everyone else) will sometimes be too tight, sometimes too loose. The box is xboxhueg just because there's a lot of minis in it which I think are cool but ultimately a nice distraction. I wouldn't have had a problem with cardboard tokens. The game was easy enough to teach and straightforward to play, but as is the case with games like this, a lot of info load comes with the spells you draw, and 90% of them are dual use, meaning there could be quite some downtime for you if you know the game well and play with someone new. In summary, the game does a lot of things simultaneously, throws minis into the mix yet the game almost miraculously manages to be very good.
Verdict: The best kind of ameritrash/euro fusion game, a less random wiz-wars that accomplishes a lot in relatively short (~2-3h) playtime. To my great suprise, not slop.

my phone is basically a potato, so I used this gulag one
>>
>>92562388
Genuinely the only acceptable sizes are Mini Euro, TCG standard, and French Tarot. That's it. No other size has a legitimate reason to exist.
Anybody who is stupid enough to make any other size can kill themselves.
>>
>>92565406
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121/dune/sleeves
>>
File: Miyamoto thumb down.gif (879 KB, 280x155)
879 KB
879 KB GIF
>>92565434
That's vile man
>>
I've played Barrage twice now because I want to like it due to the theme, but it feels like it's pretty shit. And yet it seems to be very well reviewed. Anyone else with me?
>>
Just got 74 points in a game of RA, best I've ever done.
The best part was a good 10 of those weren't even really intentional, I just happened to get a 5 of a kind set and a 4 of a kind set for monument tiles
>>
>>92565641
>Just got 74 points in a game of RA,
This is borderline degenerate.
>>
File: 1710346361010121.gif (1.65 MB, 300x224)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB GIF
>>92565641
The FUCK was the rest of the table doing?!?!
>>
File: 1701737115968840.jpg (17 KB, 241x220)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>92565658
The best part? I didn't once even have the lead with Pharoah tiles. I just did THAT well with monuments and the rest of the players played THAT badly. I also had the lead with sun discs, ended with the 12 and the 13.
This is at least the fourth game of Ra I've played with these same two people.
>>
>>92565719
The first time I taught Ra to my group I explained my reason for calling an auction every time I called an auction. They caught on pretty quick.
>>
>>92565623
I love Barrage and I've played it a lot. Do you want to explain more about your experience?
>>
>>92565739
I've begun to learn that calling an auction is both highly risky but also can be wonderfully malicious. When I first got the game I was invoking Ra frequently because I assumed final bid was the best, not always the case.
See, the risk is that when you're the final bidder, someone can drive the price up on something you want with a lower value sun-disc. But on the other hand, YOU can call an auction really early when you see it's something someone else NEEDS (a civilization tile when a player has none, and it's near the end of the epoch) and get them to make sub-optimal buys.
It's an absolutely delicious game, and man did getting such a monstrous score feel good when we usually only hit the 30s-40s.
>>
>>92565835
It just feels incredibly static because while you can use other players' conduits, you can't use water from their dams. So all the water just gets locked up and you can't actually produce very much. And because of that, there's no reason to build a conduit on someone else's dam, so you don't end up using other people's conduits enough to make that interesting either.

Also, the long red 5 pt line that takes water from the top and otu the bottom seems like it's fundamentally flawed. Both games have basically been a question of who can get a base there first, which has been won by the pay-concrete-for-conduit-guy both times, who then builds the conduit and runs away with the game.
>>
>>92565878
>when you see it's something someone else NEEDS
It doesn't even have to be something they need.
If the lot is more value then you "should" get from your worst sun disc then it's worth your time to consider whether or not to call an auction.
If you don't anticipate buying the lot then drawing a tile instead of calling an auction would be giving the eventual buyer free points for no reason.
>>
>>92565107
>>92564975
its like secondaries dont know how secondary they are until they dump dosh on one of these board games.
im kinda in the same boat. my group of friends only like to play simple card games like rummy, munchkin, or epic duels of the battle wizards.
i tried bringing my copy of seige of the citadel and it fell flat, i even brought tanto curoe and barbarossa becuase they are all weebs but they didnt want to be those kind of weebs.
i go to a boardgame night at my flgs but im no means a regular, and i need to build my cred before bringing my board game collection there
>>
Is SDE any good?
>>
>>92566551
I played it once at a convention and that's all I can remember about it. It's forgettable.
>>
>>92565886
Barrage has a learning curve, strategies vary, and it's fundamentally a game about long term planning and adapting when others' plans collide with yours. In this regard you can say it's a slow game, with a massive buildup, but not a static one. Strictly speaking it's not a race, it's an efficiency contest: being a worker placement, the real battle is in the action board, and timing is everything. Also, a mistake I've seen newbies make time and time again is to disregard contracts and focus on production. Going for the big pipe is viable, but it's a high risk strategy as it requires and then ties up massive amounts of resources: by the time that system is ready someone else might have been building and running a cheaper engine that's able to churn through contracts, which has multiplying benefits thanks to its consistency.

I agree the restrictions feel arbitrary, but I'm sure it's for the best balance, and besides you can still be a bitch and place your dam downstream of an adversary's power station. Barrage IMO works best at 3p: 2p is too wide open, at 4p it's claustrophobic.
>>
is this game like Civ? I want a Board game Like Civ thats simple to get
>>
>>92566983
It's not at all like a civ game. I'd ask you to tell what you think makes a civ game, but AoI is not one in any way.
>>
>>92567054
hexagon movement with fog of war and many ways to win with asymmetrical Leaders
>>
>>92565107
I did also get this a while back. I've played it a few times, mostly 2p.
The "bot" system is surprisingly nice for trying out new schools or combinations.
The game has a nice balance between pure spell slinging bs and getting objectives.
I think it is best when played as +3p. Havent tried 5 or 6 players but I assume its just full on chaos.
Overall I liked it more than I initially thought I would. I mostly got it for the group.
>>
>>92566434
I don't really understand where you are going with this, anon. Nothing in that anecdote applies to my group
>>92567098
I would assume 2p is relatively bad with the experience I have. I've heard the bots are suprisingly good from a few sources but I'd still rather play something else at 2, 5-6p seems excessive and probably, as you say, drives the game heavily towards chaos. The lack of which was something I was pleasantly suprised about.

But yeah, it's a stayer. I cannot stress enough how suprised I am, even reading the rules I was sure it'd be a cosmic frog style chaotic ameritrash fest, which it clearly isn't. And that's great, I think this'll statisfy the wizard-skirmish-shaped hole in my collection
>>
>>92567094
Well it AoI very much is not that
I don't know a game that has everything you described, but Era of Tribes/Mare Nostrum cone relatively close. Never played it, but clash of clans might fit.
>>
>>92566622
>at 4p it's claustrophobic

Yeah I've played it 4p both times.

Really it's the dams that are the problem. If you could use other player's conduits and dams at a cost, it would be more interesting. But dams locking up water entirely just makes it boring.

I actually work in Water and people trade water between storages all the tike, so that would also make it more realistic.
>>
>>92567566
you should try making a house rule where you can use other's dams for a cost and see how better you like it.
>>
>>92567566
I suppose that'd lead to the same issues all over? If you allow usage of other players dams, it'd have to come at a harsh cost or just high benefit for the owner. Lest the only real reason to build a dam yourself becomes rushing the 7 vp income and a lot of spaces become useless. Idk seems to me like you'd have to redesign most aspects of the game for this to work.
>>
>>92567750
>>92567616
Yeah it would need to be redesigned, but right now I just don't find the game very interesting because of how much dams lock things down for any interactivity.
>>
>>92567094
Through the Ages has everything except hex map movement, instead abstracting everything into cards
Clash of Cultures doesn't have variable powers in base game but I think the expansions introduce it, though the fog of war is limited to just "map parts nobody's seen yet are hidden, you get full vision of everything your opponents do or find".

Really wish there was a Robo Rally style action programming 4x game in the civ style, for true fog of war where you can't know what your opponents are doing, because they forgot what action they planned to do this turn four turns ago
>>
File: 5357467864634645645.png (1.26 MB, 750x682)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
>You're gonna attack my giant army with that small force? Hahaha don't waste my time.
>>
>>92568184
>Really wish there was a Robo Rally style action programming 4x game in the civ style, for true fog of war where you can't know what your opponents are doing
Hidden order mechanics like in Starcraft, Forbidden Stars, and Battle Rokugan come close, especially as you can "interupt" the chain of commands but might be walking into a bluff.
>>
>>92568235
Does Jamis know?
>>
>>92568320
We are in the alt time line where J is Muad'ibs best buddy, the first Fedaykin, leading the suicidal avenging charge for little Leto II.
>>
>>92567566
I'm not going to pretend the game is as interactive as something like Medina, but I also can't relate to finding the dam building uninteresting as you found it to be. Between building dams at the outlets of other people's networks to collect all the water they send, building dams in front of other people's networks to block them from receiving water, and the timing aspect of when to send the water so that you can maximize the energy production, leave yourself open to receive water when your opponent wants to send it, while doing the inverse to them, potentially overflowing their basins into your previously blocked ones, I think the interplay is quite engaging. The neutral dams often end up being important pieces of infrastructure for a couple players to fight over during the game as well, and I usually see people use each others turbines at important moments a couple times a game as well.
>>
>>92565009
screw the Burgundians in particular. Filthy Dijonaise thinking they are such hot shit
>>
>>92566622
Barrage is so good at 4 BECAUSE it is claustrophobic. Makes everything so tight it's really a puzzle to operate well within your capabilities and I love that, I actually printed a fanmade 3/2 player map that keeps it just as tight when playing with less than 4 and it is because of that very same tightness that not being able to use others' dams work so well, the water flow will overflow these dams often, and when playing with 4 you have 4 different companies that make the water flow even more because of abilities and contacts (easy rule to miss is that you must place as much water you are generating of you get the benefit, even if that meant helping others).

I can see how it can be boring for some people but I find it so deliciously competitive I still crave playing it even after 15 plays.
>>
File: 1711959190410.jpg (4.24 MB, 2791x2399)
4.24 MB
4.24 MB JPG
>>92565406
I almost fully agree. Include this size as well though (Middara). It is nice card size for lot of information
>>
>>92568486
she cute! CUTE!
Name?
>>
New thread is ready, but its been comfy having things slowly fall to page ten lately.
>>
File: file.png (1.19 MB, 1200x630)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>>92566983
Heard this is decently close.
>action programming 4x game in the civ style
Funny enough I had a prototype for a 'under 90 mins' 4xciv where turns were simultaneous until you entered someone's sphere of influence then it became programming and whoo boy did it suck.
>>
>>92568475
I love it too at 4p, I love efficiency puzzles like that, but I don't think it makes always for a good experience for everyone, especially when there's skill disparity or people are trying it for their first time. Does it shine at 4p? Yes, but sometimes, it's nice to lay back a bit and enjoy some wiggle room.
>>
>>92568235
Wait you can use the lasgun-suicide bomb on YOURSELF? SHOOT, I never noticed that.
>>
>>92568635
Not gonna be so comfy when I make a new thread and make you waste yours, shithead
>>
File: smiling (2).jpg (40 KB, 413x395)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>92564975
>And when I say "used" I mean some poor autismo only opened the game and only then realized he has no friends
you could say, he was scammed, but you wouldnt let yourself get scammed
>>
>>92565878
>someone can drive the price up on something you want with a lower value sun-disc
That doesnt really make sense. If someone is overbidding you just let them hold the bag by passing. If they want it for that price, then turn order doesnt matter, since they wouldve just outbid you. As you get a better grip on what things are worse, being last is less important, its more about evaulating the lot and what people need, then picking the right time to open the lot so either someone has to overspend, or getting a lot only you want
>>
File: thief guy.png (111 KB, 256x256)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
Rules question:
You have a god tile in your collection, the lot has eight tiles in it, you chose to choose to start an auction, every other player has passed on the lot.
Are you required to bid on it (because you were not required to start the auction) or can you pass and discard the eight tiles (because the lot is full)?
>>
>>92569868
you take the lot, you summoned Ra out of obligation but not because you drew the tile, so you follow the rules as if you had summoned Ra yourself.
>>
>>92569868
that's the only scenario in the game where the tile lot gets discarded because it rightly assumes it's a bunch of shit nobody wanted, >>92569915
is incorrect
>>
>>92569915
There are three edge cases for how an auction for an unwanted lot resolves.
The lot can remain as is, the tiles in the lot can be discarded, or the caller can be forced to buy the lot.

The first case happens when you draw a Ra tile. The latter two cases happen when you call an auction.
>you summoned Ra out of obligation
You were not obligated to call an auction in my example.
Drawing from the bag was not an option but instead of calling an auction you could have used your turn to play your god tile.
>>
>>92565623
yeah i hate it. yuck
>>
File: putting a dog to bed.gif (1.57 MB, 300x297)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB GIF
>>92569868
while technically the god tile gives you another option, I feel its more fair if you arent forced into either bidding or using your god token. In other words, opening the bid when the lot is full is a forced bid, and therefore everyone can pass.
>>
>>92569868
If I remember correctly an auction automatically starts as if the playef placing the last tile had ra'd, but he is not obliged to bid on it. Meaning they can be auctioned off or, if everyone passes, get discarded.
>>92570001
This.
>>
In a world of wooden meeples and cardboard tiles
Uwe Rosenber designs, they bring a smile (ooh-ahh)
>>92570707
Farming board games, oh they're so grand
And in every one, you'll find a sheep on the land
>>92570707
Sheep in the fields, grazing with delight (grazing!)
Building up resources, strategy is tight (oh yeah!)
>>92570707
Uwes masterpieces, they never cease to thrill (never cease)
With sheep in the fields, we're in farming heaven still
Cultivate crops, sow seeds and watch them grow (grow, grow)
>>92570707
Collecting wooden sheep let your farmstead grow
From Agricola to Fields of Arle, he creates
Uwe's board games are loved by farmers (and their mates)
>>92570707
Sheep in the fields, grazing with delight
Building up resources, strategy is tight
>>92570707
Uwe's masterpieces, they never cease to thrill (never cease)
With sheep in the fields, we're in farming heaven still
shamelessly stolen from MrShep

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.