[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: SWRPGcover.png (4.49 MB, 1285x1818)
4.49 MB
4.49 MB PNG
It hath come.

The world of Forcelia beckons.
From Alecrast to Lodoss, Your legends begin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFComXInQn0
dls> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HR6Kc2YUUoP81093K5A5IR1nEzlSx3A3

This is not an advertisement, just pointing out of the release.
>>
Elaborate. Why should we care?
>>
>>92584506
Well, to start, the game was made to fill a need that BECMI D&D left in japan. Driven by the popularity of the Lodoss replays, Group SNE went ahead and used their established setting of Forcelia, codified on the Lodoss Replays, as a basis. And thus, SWRPG was made.

It's pretty much Japanese OSR, if that is considered.
>>
File: 1583102385851.jpg (1.16 MB, 1420x2080)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>92584490
chocolate elf bros... home.
>>
>>92584654
did they release a source book for Lodoss as a setting then? I'd be very interested in reading that
>>
>>92584790
Eventually, maybe. Right now, they're working on the Core Book, but it is at least playable at the current time.

As somewhat stated, the Complete Edition, once fully done, has all the supplements included. So there is a likelihood of Lodoss being covered in the book.
>>
>>92584490
To be clear, this is Sword World 1e, not 2e or the current 2.5e.
>>
>>92584853
yes, it's 1e.
>>
>>92584790
and yes, there is a dedicated sourcebook for playing on Lodoss in SWRPG. It is unconfirmed if the team will be doing so, but it will be noted.
>>
how is the system compared to 2 and 2.5?
>>
>>92585006
According to a Reddit comment,
>It is a 1.0. 5 races, less classes because some were split in 2.0. More old school combat rules. Different setting
>>
>>92585040
is it still 2d6 and power tables? or did they use some other system?
>>
>>92585059
2d6 with power tables, but instead of weapons having a set power, its your strenght score (example, using broadsword with 14 str will roll on the Power Table 14).
>>
>>92585407
oh interesting. Thanks, i'll check it out.
>>
Which version in there is the better OP? i will read it
>>
>>92584506
Sword World is Japan's most prominent domestic alternative to Dungeons & Dragons. As others said, it became the native system of choice for the Lodoss setting.
>>
>>92585427
Not OP but, the original SW RPG translation just released, so there isn't much content to play besides the basic rules, 1 scenario, a replay and a novel. But the translation is still being worked on, so more content will come soon.

SW 2.0 is the one with the most content translated currently (more races, classes and settings than the others), but its quite different to the original RPG and its not compatible with it.

SW 2.5 is the latest version of the game, which is also compatible with the 2.0 content and a bit more new player friendly (Atleast from my point of view)

I recommend 2.5 as its easier to understand, and has both content from 2.0 and 2.5. There is also 1.5, a homebrew supplement made to play on the SW RPG setting using 2.5 rules. So technically 2.5 has the most content currently, tho that doesn't mean the others aren't worth playing.
>>
>>92585571
Oh and the 2 World guides for SW RPG, i forgot.
>>
Is GroupSNE just stupid or is there a reason they couldn't publish affordable books in English speaking countries and beat the shit out of WOTC like how many successful Japanese trading cards did for awhile?
>>
>>92587031
The assumption is that Group SNE is keenly aware that if they try to directly challenge D&D in its home market (i.e. outside Japan) with Sword World, they'll get throttled, so powerful is the D&D hegemony. That's why the Sword World translation project, for as long-lasting as it is, is still officially considered an unofficial project.
>>
File: Goblin-Slayer-TRPG-Cover.jpg (709 KB, 1466x2200)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
>>92587031
Well, there is ONE thing that Group SNE brought to EN...
>>
I don't understand this thread. Is this a new game based on Lodoss series? Or is a re-release of an old game? OP says this is a new release, but everyone is talking about 2e and 2.5e. Why is that?
>>
>>92587458
>s this a new game based on Lodoss series?
Well, the origin did start with Lodoss, then got bigger.
>Or is a re-release of an old game?
new release of EN translations.
>everyone is talking about 2e and 2.5e. Why is that?
Some people are being confused with comparing the game with 2.X
>>
>>92587458
This is celebrating the newest milestone in the unofficial translation of Sword World 1e. Sword World itself launched in 1989, with the Complete edition (1e after all the errata, the thing that finished translating today) releasing in 1996.
>>
Do u have completed original japanese version of SW 1.0?

Have requested several times in PDF Share Thread but no one has it
>>
Can we just have a general for japshit that encompasses sword world, nechronica, japanese coc (since it's apparently a different world), and other japanese systems?
>>
>>92588318
There's a JP games thread that comes and goes, not consistently enough to be a general.
>>
>>92588318
Dude, we have that one from time to time. Just let us have this thread about a game and translation release from another hemisphere.
>>
File: t16may2023.png (139 KB, 682x341)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
>>92588397
to be honest with you, the last proper JTRPG thread with a proper trove link and not some anon asking questions is May last year, almost a full year since the last thread already, time to time my ass.
>>
>>92588434
I knew it was a while, but dang.
>>
>>92588434
Well, point taken then. Covid fucked with my perception of time long term.
>>
>>92588318
Sure right after we have a containment zone for Warhammer garbage.
>>
>>92588318
oh no, was your 10th trannyhammer thread bumped off the limit?
>>
>>92587458
Fan translation release of the first edition of Sword World RPG, one of the first fantasy japanese RPGs. SW 2.0 and 2.5 are the current versions that already have translations, so this is technically new for the community.

The game shares the same world setting as Lodoss (Forcelia), both were released close to each other (Lodoss 1986; Sword World 1988) and both were published by the same company (Group SNE). Tho Lodoss started as a DnD replay, while SW was a thing on it own from the start, Lodoss got its own RPG rule book the same year SW RPG released (1989). So they are related both on origin and setting.
>>
>>92584490

I love this shit, thanks for sharing OP.
>>
>>92589319
>>92589426
Here. This is my current filter. It catches most of them.

/imperium of man|sisters of battle|tyranid|40k|40kg|primaris|horus heresy|30k|tyranid|primarch|slaanesh|space marine|kill team/mi
>>
>>92589894
Okay thanks for the info
>>
File: runegroupS.jpg (43 KB, 400x287)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Also to point out, this is the same world as the adventures of these gals (and lug)
>>
>>92587381
Is that good at least?
>>
>>92596352
well, it kindof has Sword World as a base, but plays very differently from SW in general.
One guy's opinion on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CIO8QLgbIc&pp=ygUMbm90ZXBhZCBhbm9u
>>
Now with SWRPG now getting translations, I wonder how long till scanlations of this will be done.
Unlikely, but 'ey. It's a possibility.
>>
File: Lephrechaun's Tears.png (1.57 MB, 916x1297)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB PNG
Now for something kinda related, but the short story "Lephrechaun's Tears" was re-edited, so 'ey. Might as well give it a read.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZwYL01m0b7nSm4c_7g8v2QQcuqXqbrHU/view?usp=drive_link
>>
>>92584490
how different is 1.0 from 2.5? I've skimmed through it a bit and they seem super similar.
>>
>>92600575
After playing some 2.5 games and preparing for a 1.0 scenario, these are the main differences i could notice:

- All base stats are rolled on 1.0 (A to H) while 2.x have some (Skill, Body and Mind) related to the character background

- Only 5 PC races available (Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf and Grassrunner), with only the human and the Half-elf rolling for background (Initial Skill + exp.), every other race have a
default starting exp. and maybe a specific skill (example: Dwarfs starts with 5 levels on a general craftman skill)

- There are adventurer and general skills (Skills = Classes), with adventurer being combat related and the other for roleplay and some small bonuses (General skills became Work skills on 2.x). Some adventurer skills are mixes of 2.x classes (Ranger = Marksman+Ranger; Thief = Scout+Fencer)

- You buy levels for adventurer skills like on 2.x, but you don't "Grow" (increase 1 stat) after each session, you instead have to pay exp. to grow a stat:
- Humans pay 3000 exp. for Dex, Agi, Int or Str and 1500 exp. for HP or MP stats increase.
- Non humans have to pay 5000 exp. for Dex, Agi, Int or Str and 2500 exp. for HP or MP increases.
Also General skills can't be increased with exp, only by roleplaying
>>
>>92600575
>>92601112
- There is no initiative check like on 2.x. Combat is decided by character speed (Agi) instead. But the dumber character faction (decided by max int in the group) announces their actions first, so the "Smarter" group knows what the other is planning before acting (Players announce second on a tie). Also you can delay your action to act last if you want (so the other PC can buff you before attacking for example)

- Weapons doesn't have a set Power Table but instead uses a range of required strenght, so if your strenght score is inside that range, then you can equip and use that weapon rolling that strengt on the table, (using 2 hands will increase the power on 5). For example Bastard Sword goes from 13 to 17 strenght, so if you equip it with 14 str then you will roll Power Table 14 (or 19 if you go 2 handed).

- There are no Combat Feats like on 2.x, so no special buffs or abilities.

- As there are no combat feats, there is no Metamagic restriction, so you can Modify almost anything of your spells by paying more MP (Range, Volume, Targets, Power, Score, etc).

- You divide your spell cost by your "Rune" level, rounding up (example: cure wounds cost 5 MP, for a lvl 1 priest its just 5 mp, for a lvl 3 priest its 2 MP). If you modified the spell you have to multiply the mp AFTER dividing from the class by the modifier ( kinda like on metamagic for 2.x)

- If you get to MP 0 then you will faint.

- Instead of getting "Monster lvl*10" as combat experience, also you divide for the party: (Monster lvl*10)/Party size. Also the getting double 1's (Crit failure) gives you 10 exp instead of 50

that's all i could notice that's different from 2.x
>>
>>92593302
It's in Orfun, but when does it take place? Did the various editions move the timeline forward?
>>
And some things I have stumbled upon.
Two Sword World Mangas that I have uncovered, via the Lodoss Wiki.
fer links, I got two.
The Unicorn Maiden: https://1drv.ms/b/c/44de0dbd925ad4aa/EUX2c9JuKzpCmzVOoCHavKoBe6WJ4PZROmPujjy6pzSROg?e=T6mVfc
Lacquer-black Curse: https://1drv.ms/b/c/44de0dbd925ad4aa/EZlA5131ZGZDmM7qFOCwQEcBxQO0uftE_ekY8w6u_HBh4w?e=hmDK8R
>>
Live, I wanna read about sword world when I get home.
>>
>>92610270
By Null's fickle clatter, this thread SHALL last for anon!
>>
File: image.png (5.41 MB, 1172x1658)
5.41 MB
5.41 MB PNG
Smidge of a Heads up, a second Replay Collection was just finished.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jjz1na4Rs1mpyf1XT3ddOH2_sdFZuF1k/view?usp=drive_link
>>
>>92611660
Also they revised the Leprechaun's tears novel (changed the original so it fits with the current RPG translation) and added Optional rules on the GM section (Monster Knowledge checks, equipment stats changes, new available actions for combat, etc)
>>
>>92612168
Mentioned Leprechaun's Tears earlier, but the optional rules thing, that I didn't notice till recently.
>>
Makes me wonder if the OSR group would have a go at this. similar release timespan and all, but then again, it's "le anime" and only is just being worked on now.
>>
>>92600419
What's the gimmick? Comfy fantasy?

>>92600457
That artwork is peak. Need to get in to watercolours.
>>
>>92620082
>Comfy fantasy?
I don't really have much info, myself, but I assume it's set around the town of Heppoko.
and yes, the artwork is by Yoshikazu Hamada, the same lug behind Tusgumomo.

>That artwork is peak
Quite.
The Lodoss Wiki has more of the art if it interest ye.
>>
>>92588434
>>92588318
Be the change you want to see in the world anon, copy op from desuarchive. Dunno if trove links will be valid.
>>
>>92624901
Those pastebins check out, at least.
>>
>>92624901
>>92627017
>>
oh look.
More interesting stuffs!
M Fire /folder/t8t8ch8imq5xl/Forcelia_Archives
>>
>>92620082
>That artwork is peak. Need to get in to watercolours.
If you do digital art you can replicate that by layering the correct watercolor paper texture on top of the image,
and coloring in 40% layers on a flat color, the layer mode should be multiply.
Experiment to taste.

That image has non of the authentic water bleed you'd get from using 'real paint' so you wouldn't miss it.
>>
I found this dude who does a pretty good job of laying it all out. However he has youtube personality.

youtube.com/watch?v=vK1XOeBP8s0
>>
File: 116.jpg (116 KB, 450x651)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>92633684
this is good shit
>>
>>92640026
yeah, his voice is maybe a smidge gating, but he's quite informative.

Though, I think he may have skipped that the original replays are done with Basic D&D.
>>
>>92635885
Whoops, ment this post...

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.