[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: NJ_Paladin_front_color.png (258 KB, 461x597)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
Welcome to Mecha Monday! Here we dedicate ourselves to mecha RPGs, war games, and board games alike. Here we start games, tell campaign stories, share resources & assets, and seek advice for our games and homebrew.

Let us know what needs to be updated with the pastebin.

Assorted Mecha Goodness:
https://pastebin.com/E2wi55AZ (embed)
Embryo Machine Translation
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1r_cjOLuUp3HussVRhbQYU3G0zK6hwy1r

Previous Thread: >>93280190

Thread Question: Do you prefer handheld or mounted guns?

Thread theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL5wMGn7V8g
>>
>>93347373
I appreciate the NJ Angel not looking so horribly out of place in the HG universe, I just hope stats-wise NJ isn’t power creeping.
>>
File: Paladin-4e-Stats.jpg (134 KB, 719x369)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>93347529
>I just hope stats-wise NJ isn’t power creeping.
Well. It's a 30TV unit in 4e which would be halved to around 15TV in Blitz. About Nemesis Jaguar and Grizzly territory. There might be some duelist upgrades considering it's "Glynna's" specifically. So far a big drawback might be the lack of a secondary movement system relying on Jump Jets to get around. Medium Pistols aren't all that powerful either iirc (A LFG is something to fear though). Field Armor is nice. There might be something I'm missing but I feel a Kodiak or K. Cobra could handle one. I'm interested in seeing what the other Angels look like.
>>
>>93347686
That particular one is definitely a souped-up ace custom. The ones in the Blitz will be more manageable.
>>
>>93347373
>TQ
Mounted by a wide margin. Even when a mech has arms with functioning hands, I'd still rather see beam emitters and smaller guns mounted on the forearm or underarm. Handheld mech weapons should be effectively like a sidearm for infantry. The tertiary backup weapon.
>>
So 4e adventures are out now for heavy gear? Where can I read them?
>>
>>93348375
The first two are available for those who backed the 4th Ed kickstarter. Everyone else will have to wait a bit.
>>
>>93348480
Put it in the hg4e folder pliz if you have it pliz
>>
The NJ Paladin looks a generic as it gets. Just a Robo-man. Kinda disappointed ngl

>>93348512
In the process of doing so
>>
>>93347373
>TQ
Mounted, mostly because I'm a gigantic sucker for shoulder cannons, back cannons and things like that. They're so cool.
I wonder what the recoil is like when the Paladin fires that thing.
>>93347686
Kodiaks and Kings could absolutely handle one.
>>
>>93347686
lmao those stats
>>
File: IMG_315374635.jpg (91 KB, 600x433)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>93347373
Ayyyyy, Mecha Monday!
>TQ
I like handheld weapons. They're practical, they're modular, they're fast, they're easy, they're convenient, they're intuitive, they're cool-looking... Gotta love 'em.
>>
>>93348480
>>93348705
Note that an updated version will come out in a few weeks or so with some error fixes and one bit that didn’t get into this release, so be sure to grab that when it happens
>>
>>93347373
>Thread Question: Do you prefer handheld or mounted guns?
Mounted. Makes it feel like the mech was designed as a complete system, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>93347373
>Do you prefer handheld or mounted guns?
Or?
>>
>>93349715
My nigger
>>
>>93349715
This.
Both is best. If you don’t have both you might as well not even have mecha.
>>
>>93347686
Which book was this found in?
>>
>>93350305
The new adventure, One Minute To Midnight
>>
File: 1714611875724559.jpg (121 KB, 560x700)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>fires main cannon
>makes a backflip
mech games that simulate silly design flaws like this?
>>
How do you feel about this more mechanism for a steampunk mech game?

1. Stoke to build Pressure
2. Different combat actions expend pressure, and you might be stunned and unable to expend pressure. Extra steam usually offers bonuses.
3. Check for boiler explosion.
>>
Thoughts on MechaTop?
>>
File: AEUG vs Zeon 4-6.jpg (153 KB, 531x657)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>93347373
>TQ
Both, I like hands for holding weapons and shoulders for mounting weapons.
>Battle Report
A quick match featuring the AEUG vs Zeon Remnants
On this flank the AEUG forces avoid some hide bombs from the Gyan while pressing forward.
The Zeon forces stick behind LOS cover before advancing.
The Kampfer and Dom trade fire with the 2 Rick Dias
The MK-II tries to take out the Kampfer but it proves to be untouchable this Round
Meanwhile the Galbady Alpha nearly kill-shots a Rick Dias
>Round 2
The Kampfer avoids the MK-II's bazooka but a beam rifle shot pierces the cockpit killing it
The Gyan peppers the Rick Dias with its needle missiles and then.....dies to overwatch
>pour one out for M'Quve's favorite suit
The Rick Dias takes out the Galbady then retreats behind cover
>>
File: AEUG vs Zeon 7-8.jpg (164 KB, 523x661)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>93352247
>The other flank
Hyaku Shiki is trading shots with Zeon Ace Brennis Ox in a Gelgoog Cannon with a Giant Bazooka and a Gelgoog Jager backing him up.
The golden Anti-Beam Coating holds up against the Gelgoog Jager
>Round 2
Hyaku Shiki fails to kill Brennis, and in return the Giant Bazooka combined with an Ace turns the Shiki into scrap.
A Nemo takes the high ground in the center to assist its allies. It gets wiped out by the Jager as the repeating beam rifle tears through it.
The Zaku forces which were sneaking around behind LOS cover to avoid getting picked up by the AEUG's superior machines begin to make their move, swarming over the map
>>
File: AEUG vs Zeon 9-11.jpg (167 KB, 522x685)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>93352311
>Round 3
The Gelgoog Jager opens up on the MK-II but Kamille avoids the worst of it. He takes out one of the encroaching Zaku IIs to build Momentum
A Dom swings out of cover, blinds a Rick Dias and buries its head saber inside it, destroying the unit
The 2nd Rick Dias, still badly damaged, emerges from cover, pops a Zaku with its bazooka and drives its beam saber through the Dom for an explosive turn
The remaining Zakus and Brennis in the Gelgoog cannon take the high ground in preparation for next Round
>Round 4
AEUG luckily wins initiative. Kamille goes for the gold, he declared Revenge on Brennis earlier and his beam rifle delivers vengeance
He then moves into melee with the Gelgoog Jager who manages to parry by emptying their Momentum pool
The Jager is out of Momentum and so stuck in melee, he goes for a swing but Kamille easily parries and destroys him in a counterattack
One Zaku's machine gun brings the Rick Dias down to its last 100 HP
The Rick Dias blows it up with its bazooka then proceeds into melee with the 2nd one and.....dies to Overwatch
>Round 5
Kamille wins initaitive, the Zaku still shocked that it survived a charge from the Rick Dias gets a beam rifle through the back and explodes
>After Action Report
AEUG 34VP Zeon 11VP
The AEUG seemed like it was going to lose badly by Round 2, but with some lucky rolls keeping Kamille alive they managed to not only survive but win this battle
>>
>>93347707
>javascript:quote('93347707');
For some reason, I'm still hoping that we can make the homebrew Jotunheim army from Aurora Magzine 6.1 canon, because their tank and infantry army was unique enough that they didn't look like a pale imitation of the CEF.
>>
>>93350681
Battletech. It's a canon variant of the Hunchback.
>>
>>93351465
I've toyed with similar ideas myself. Treating it almost like the Iron Kingdoms Will Weaver magic system which is basically
>Whenever you use magic, gain Fatigue points
>At the start of new turn, remove X Fatigue based on Arcane stat.
>If there's leftover Fatigue, make a check. On a fail you cannot cast spells and are Exhausted temporarily.
>>
>>93347373
>TQ
Both have their uses
Handheld weapons can be easily switched out while mounted weapons could pack more oomph
>>
>>93352499
Everything in Aurora Magazine was owned by its authors, not DP9, so it legally can’t be canon. (Which sucks, there was a lot of great stuff there). That said you should be able to use the conversion process to port it into the RPG if you want; the main problem would be recreating the new weapons.
>>
>>93347373
You honestly need a good combination of both. To explain my position, I'm going to use the A-10C Thunderbolt II Tactical Surface Attacker from Muv-Luv.

The Mounted GAU-8 Avengers allows the unit to engage targets from any direction, including from behind, being effective through either raw penetration power and range and/or the sheer amount of rounds fired.

The Handheld weapons allow it to adapt to the mission requirements in an easier timeframe, such as going from a generalist combatant to a sniper/sharpshooter to a mobile artillery unit if needed.
>>
>>93355885
Muv Luv is low-key one of the best mech milsf series
>>
>>93351465
Just in a minute I can think of a choice of 2 actions between: Stoke, Combat or Move per turn.
Move and Combat also use up Pressure.
Or for a Phase system, Stoking is a specific phase at the start of a turn.
>>
>>93356817
My vague idea is that there are phases, and stoking is one of the first things you do.

Obviously BT heat was an inspiration, but in this case, it's more like Blackjack because more pressure is usually better - move faster, hit harder. But if you build up too much, best case something bursts, and you lose pressure to a limb or something, worst case boiler explosion. Obviously, we're talking early fire tube boilers in terms of safety hazards.

A smoke belching boiler makes a pretty cool "backpack" for a mech too.
>>
Weapon Arms - yay or nay?
>>
>>93357503
Yay. Sacrificing defense for raw firepower is a fun archetype. Did vth gen weapon arms still let you use hangars?
>>
>>93357524
Nope. Weapon Arms replace your hangars with the Weapon Arm itself. It also doesn't let you use Shoulder Units either. But in exchange you can have fuckhueg firepower with a weapon that doesn't require ready stance, even if the swap animation takes a decade.

God, whoever animated the weapon arms swap animations deserve every bit of recognition they can get.
>>
>>93357542
So you have two arm guns, and the weapon arms swap with those - and they have no shoulder slots for missiles, countermeasures, etc?
>>
>>93357558
Essentially. To boil it down, lemme just break it down using the default Verdict Day loadout.

In its Left Arm it carries a KE shield, in its Right Arm it carries a HEAT Machine Gun. If you press to swap either weapon, you enter a lengthy animation to bring out the equipped weapon arm, the Sniper Cannon while swapping both Arms back. If you press to swap again, you get the other two weapons back.
>>
>>93347373
I had a stupid idea, but I need to know how stupid. Suppose you had a space ship in low orbit fire a harpoon down to the surface of a planet. Could one then use a super strong cable to turn this into a rapidly deployable and moveable space elevator? If I'm not missing any major physics breaking bugs with that idea, I envision space pirates using it to rapidly deploy troops to a planet's surface then haul loot back up into space.
>>
>>93357811
>>93357811
I've seen worse transportation methods. Still though wouldn't you just want a Dropship or VTOL transport instead? Less risk of getting the tether cut.
>>
>>93357811
I feel like this skyhook method would work better on moons or planets with thin atmospheres.

However, we are in a mecha thread - so it's about being cool with a veneer of hard sf ideas cherrypicked because we think they're cool.
>>
>>93357992
Actually wouldn't you want something like that with thicker atmosphere? With a moon you could easily get off with a regular transport unit or hell even just move the ship itself in and out. But an anchor style of transport might work far better for something with a thicker atmosphere that could risk destroying a transport vehicle. Venus Hooks to me sound like they'd make more sense than Lunar hooks.
>>
>>93358013
No. The less atmospheric friction, the less beefy the tether material of skyhook needs to be.

A skyhook on Venus would be a nightmare compared to Earth, while Mars would be easier.
>>
File: south-vs-north.jpg (536 KB, 1200x664)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
Battletech player here. I'm thinking of dipping my toes into Heavy Gear.

Is Blitz some kind of Battletech: Alpha Strike equivalent? Is there a classic equivalent? If so, which is more popular?

I read a quick synopsis of the newer factions and NuCol seems neat. Is there a faction that fields smaller but more elite units? Like Battletech, i tend to like smaller forces with better skills. Also cheaper for me that way in terms of the amount of minis.
>>
>>93358187
>Is Blitz some kind of Battletech: Alpha Strike equivalent? Is there a classic equivalent? If so, which is more popular?
It's kinda complicated, In some ways yes? To explain Heavy Gear originally was a full RPG with crunchy tactical gameplay. Then you could axe some RPG gameplay in favor of playing it as a pseudo wargame. It use to be hex based like CBT. Blitz is more Alpha Strike in someways but doesn't comprimise quite as much on rules. It's actually like an in-between of CBT and Alpha Strike in terms of complexity. Blitz at this point has absolutely overshadowed the 2e RPG that I mentioned above and even the 4e RPG takes more from Blitz camp of combat.
>Is there a faction that fields smaller but more elite units?
Black Talons would fit this, I wouldn't say it's cheap however. They're Terra Novas Elite Commando force to fight off-world invaders and cause insurgences. For a cheap faction that fits this bill however, I'd recommend the Peace River starter. Since then you get cheaper plastics over expensive pewter metals. Plus an Army Box is ready to go with a 150TV force which is the default for Blitz.
>>
>>93358187
See the other guy's post. Basically, Blitz is the only currently supported version of the wargame. Complexity sits in a nice medium between AS and CBT.

As for which force to get, yeah if you want something cheap, I'd just get one of the Terra Nova plastic starters. The fun thing is that there's a subfaction you can take (Nucoal's KADA) for your force that's composed entirely out of Duelists (ie aces). Said Aces can belong to any of the TN forces.
So nothing's stopping you from creating a small group of overpowered bastards with any of the forces.
>>
>>93357811
>>93357892
>>93357992
>>93358013
>>93358172
I remember thinking about this when I was watching that stupid JJ Abrams Star Trek movie from 2009. In the skydive scene, the Norada lowered its energy drill platform down FROM ORBIT on a goddamn chain. So dumb! I remember thinking, "Wouldn't than chain be impractically huge when it's reeled up inside the ship?"

However, if it was a thin, super-strong cable made of like a hyper-gravity nanopolymer or somesuch it could conceivably be reeled up into something that isn't TOO impractical to have on your ship.
>>
>>93358187
Fellow NuCoal enjoyer. Already a man of taste.
>>
speaking of Heavy Gear, while i like/am satisfied with the current version of the rules, did it change a solid bit since past versions?

biggest thing is i swear when i first saw the game on a vid that got me interested YEARS ago, the movement system was more advanced.
namely, the faster movement ratings stuck til your next activation, instead of deactivating once you finished movement, and i swear there was a few more level of it too.

was that indeed just an old version, or were those guys playing with made up rules and calling them the real rules(or misreading the part about deactivating at turn end, i guess)?
>>
>>93359314
Yeah the movement rules were changed somewhat. The really big alteration is actually the damage system though; it used to be multiplicative rather than additive.
>>
>>93359379
ah ok.
kinda a shame as the movement system is what really drew me in originally.
>>
>>93359314
>>93359436
Yeah, the movement system used to be way more in depth. Funny enough, it's what drawn me in originally as well.
Right now it's much more abstracted.
However, I definitely see how said abstraction helps keep the game flow nice and quick.
I still hope there'll be some kind fo official 'optional' rules to help differentiate the various movement modes. Right now they're 99% identical. It will take a very careful balancing to make sure they don't bog down the pace too much.

There are some houserules for it tho.
>>
>>93359436
Desu, while I never played 1.0, the movement system of that looked overly complicated. Needing to have a d6 die just to keep track of how a unit is moving was the wrong approach imo. While having an in-depth movement system could be cool, I'd save it for the RPG. I think 3.0 handles it far better with just having combat speed, top speed, and bracing. With the latter two giving defensive or offensive perks. Not to mention that one can still get movement benefits from what modes a unit is using along with climber, jump jets, and jetpack traits. It hits that sweet spot of being in-depth enough. The Mammoth is still a lumbering piece of shit that I can't help but love.
>>
>>93359475
The RPG differentiates them more, you can apply those rules if you want
>>
>>93359813
It's not quite enough. I want more difference when it comes to turning, etc. especially between ground and hover modes. It's currently very handwavy.
>>
File: IMG_9507.jpg (258 KB, 1473x433)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>93360023
It was always supposed to be handwavy. If you go back to the original Tactical rules you’ll see that they’re basically the same as the current RPG vehicle movement rules, and most of the actual text is dedicated to crashing. Movement mode differentiation was for terrain purposes, like it is now.

Locked & Loaded added a whole bunch of other shit about turning and movement modes that slowed the game down and made things way more complicated and confusing. It was never going to last very long.
>>
>>93360438
That doesn't matter. I still want to feel the difference. Just because one system didn't manage to do it properly doesn't mean the idea should be tossed
>>
File: IMG_20240616_221450.jpg (6.23 MB, 4160x2424)
6.23 MB
6.23 MB JPG
58th for ZAKUS
>>
File: IMG_20240616_221817.jpg (5.85 MB, 4160x2177)
5.85 MB
5.85 MB JPG
>>93361217
The back shot
>>
File: IMG_20240616_222324.jpg (2.85 MB, 2362x2178)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
>>93361225
And lastly for now, a Gogg. Will be taking some shots of the feddy boys later
>>
File: Zaku Cannon Cropped.jpg (1.44 MB, 1876x2491)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>93361217
Love that Zaku Cannon pose. Ramba Ral scheme on the Zaku I is a nice touch
>>93361232
Never enough Goggs
>>
>>93359475
>>93360438
ah, it must've been locked and loaded they were playing, because that movement die with 6 modes is 100% what i remember the vid using. or well, at least 1st ed, as still cant find exactly where the full explanation for them is lol.

still though, glad to see im at least not misremembering. will have to dig through the older stuff to figure out how that all worked again.
>>
>>93361217
These are gundam collection right? I've never seen someone paint them, it looks great.
>>
>>93347686
The fact it's specifically called a Paladin is raising some eyebrows, because there's specifically only one spot where I've seen that term in Heavy Gear.

The origin of the design of the angels dates to the Later Crusades and the fall of Kir Arya. The Prime Knights of Kir Arya used combat walkers called Paladins as their primary mechanized combat unit. According to historical records, Paladins were large, fast, heavily armed, and well armored, which allowed them to engage all types of foes in nearly any type of terrain. After the fall of Kir Arya, wrecked Paladins were taken and analyzed by both the Council and Compact nations that took part in the invasion. They all came to the same conclusion, however, about the design's long term viability. Paladins were technologically feasible but would be prohibitively expensive, and would need massive overhauls to be usable by pilots who were not Prime Knights.

https://www.dp9community.com/gear-up-blog/the-shepherds-path-part-21-angels
>>
File: IMG_20240717_120127.jpg (158 KB, 720x700)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>93361722
Yes, thank you! Gundam Minifigure Selection is what theyre called. I bought a whole lot of them on ebay from an estate sale for some Japanese NEET that died. Now his mecha soul lives on through me.

>>93361411
Love me Goggs, love me Zaku Cannon. The Zaku I mini is itself actually blue underneath the paint also. It comes in non-blue version also so that makes it a "rare" version. Idgaf about japanese gacha mechanics but it seems to me that it's intended to be Ral's "Blue Giant" Zaku I custom before he got his Gouf, so I painted it as such (you can also find larger scale models of Ral's Zaku with the same armament of 120mm MG and Heat Hawk and the commander antenna). The spiky shield, shoulder spikes, and the sturmfaust thingy are Heavy Gear bits but they match the Zeek aesthetic so I added them. The knuckle shield I custom made from metal sprue I had laying around and another one of the HG spikes. The Zaku II F-2 to the left of it is actually the same mini as the one on the right, but I swapped his MG for the bazooka he is normally leaning against and rested his hand on the sturmfaust. The MG I removed instead went to the Zaku I in front of it which is normally equipped with a nerve gas launcher. I also pimped that one out with a captured Gundam shield.
>>
File: lnl.jpg (780 KB, 2546x3296)
780 KB
780 KB JPG
>>93361635
Yeah, it's L&L (Blitz v1 basically) that used d6 as a movement type marker. If you're interested, it's available for free on Drivethru.
In the pre-Blitz version it was actually even more cumbersome, as it marked both the current movement type and number of hexes you moved (basically like in Battletech).

It becomes apparent why the older versions used a smaller amount of models for battles.
Or rather, why battles took so long to resolve.
>>
>>93361217
>>93361225
>>93361232
These look fantastic
>>
File: IMG_20240717_125144.jpg (6.19 MB, 3120x4068)
6.19 MB
6.19 MB JPG
>>93362094
Thanks. Here's a space base I did for the Gundam
>>
>>93362073
cant say what else may of bogged it down, but what i was interested in was just the larger scale of +s and -s, and them sticking around at the end of turn.
i dont see that alone really bogging things down, its just having to memorize how the modifiers get slapped on, which is still a thing now, just with only 3(1 temp) instead of 6.
the other stuff that may of bogged things down, or other ways it affected the game, fair enough, im only interested in those two concepts.
>>
File: seinfeld.jpg (24 KB, 469x264)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>93362529
>i dont see that alone really bogging things down
It does when every single model needs to get one for each activation
>>
>>93362939
to each their own i suppose.
i'd have to test it to see, i suppose.
the other side of the argument is im not against nor do i see a game being longer as a bad thing, and kinda dislike this trend i've seen with games cutting out decent or good rules not because of if people liked them or not, but out of this perceived need for games to be shorter. shorter is not inherently better or good, long is not inherently bad or worse.
>>
speaking of HGB, what do people usually build for a generalist list where you are blind to the opponents list?
a mix of soft hitters and heavy hitters? a buncha middle ground stuff with AP so everything is at least somewhat viable against everything else? just toss as many stripped downs as you can at the enemy and drown him in mecha corpses?
>>
File: Anolis-Action_Front_-.jpg (373 KB, 1611x2131)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
>>93363041
Oh, in this case I definitely agree with you. The longer games are less my taste, but I do recognize they make up for it mostly with various things.

>>93363567
Lots of possible strategies n tactics.
I like trying my best to cover as many 'areas'. IE have some ECM, some infantry, some hard hitters, etc.

I'm currently playing in a tourney where each stage you set your army and then randomly play against another guy, so you gotta go in blind.
>>
>>93361987
Well, Angels are based on the old Prime Knight walkers. Not exactly 1:1 as they had to break them down into different categories. Lucky for Shepherds to get their hands on some while other colonies had to make due with retrofitted Hard Hats, Mounts, and APEs. I do wonder though if a Prime Knight Paladin would be able to stand against a modern Gear though. I get the feeling that a Kodiak or Scimitar could either take one on or at least put up a good fight. Not to mention some of the other units like how fucking scary fighting a Armiger + N-KIDU swarm would be or fighting a Caprician Ammon. Maybe combining Angels with a GREL might be enough to recreate the old Prime Knight Paladins. I guess we'll see where this goes.
>>
>>93363946
I'm not sure where I got this from and I don't feel like scouring things, but I have this vague memory of the Prime Knight Paladins still being powerful. But I agree, high-end modern stuff could probably take it on. From Terra Nova, if not the Kodiak then probably the King Cobra since it's strong both at range and hand-to-hand. From Eden, probably the Gargoyle but that's sort of like a strider. I think you're right with Utopia and Caprice because their units are pretty specialized and they could use that to skew things in their favour.
>>
didnt realize there was so much lore on New Jerusalem, but guess thats what i get for only being into Blitz lol.
there much else out there on the other non-blitz playable planets/factions?
>>
>>93365212
No, not much. Apparently we'll be getting a Jotunheim unveiling in the near future, though. And I think I recall DP9 anon mentioning Atlantis, but I could be wrong on that.
>>
>>93365269
oh, neat.
the idea the other planets might not just be throwaways long term is certainly something i wont have any complaints about.
>>
>>93365212
NJ actually doesn't have too much lore. It's a good primer but consider that Terra Nova has not just the "Life on" Book with two editions but also has 7 league books and a Badlands book You can get a real good deep dive on the Southern Republic that you couldn't get with any of the other Colony factions. Even Caprice has 3 books. A "Life on" as well as an overview of the Liberati and Corporations. The NJ lore is about the same amount of content that the Life on Utopia/Atlantis/Eden books have. And even those books give more of a general overview of the entire planet where as the NJ lore blurbs on the community page are mostly focused on the Shepherds themselves. For non-Blitz factions there's really only Atlantis and it's kinda obvious as to why, even then I think they'll be getting a faction set at somepoint.
>>
Had a brainwave, am hard pivoting to working on Weapon Arms. Doing a clever little thing with them, expect them when v0.7 is posted.
>>
>>93366232
I know your project seems very Armored Core adjacent, but weren't Weapon Arms from Muv-Luv?
>>
>>93366677
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZuQtEkTz0k
>>
>>93366677
Even Armored Core 1 had weapon arms.
>>
>>93366677
Armored Core's weapon arms predate Muv Luv, unless you mean Vth gen's specific iteration where they fold back into regular arms that can hold hand weapons.
>>
>>93367194
and Gundam's Weapon Arms predate Armored Core
>>
>>93365269
We will get amphibians mecha apart of the south one?
>>
>>93368072
kinda makes sense actually, as they've been slipping in little bits more and more of amphib stuff.
giving us an entire faction+world/scenarios based around them wouldn't be a bad idea.
>>
File: HGUC-Loto-Twin-Set-box.png (2.27 MB, 1500x935)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB PNG
>>93367597
Those are more sub-arms.
>>
>>93367597
And AC's inspiration was probably earlier stuff like the Macross Tomahawk. I don't really associated Gundam with weapon arms, honestly.
>>
>>93368090
The planet Atlantis exists for a reason.

On a minor tangent, are there any instances of bipedal mechs going to a quad locomotion or vice versa in anime?
>>
>>93370500
yeah thats what i meant. would actually be neat if they make rules for maps totally underwater or half ocean, instead of water just being used for a type of deployment mostly at the moment.

>bipedal to quad
sadly best i can think of is animal transformers.

>CAPTCHA; WATR4
lol
>>
>>93362034
It's some really terrific work, I have a few of the MFS metallics that I never thought to paint. There are a few in the metallic MFS that aren't in the 1/400 collection, off the top of my head there are some Dom variants as well as the Guncannon Heavy Custom. Did you prime them with anything first?
>Sturmfaust bits
Very nice touch
>>
>>93363946
>>93364512
Paladins were powerful but they could also be taken out by concentrated fire easily. You’d need a skilled pilot to get the best use out of them, which is why the Prime Knights used them. Angels are the closest currently existing analogue to that concept for obvious reasons.

>>93365269
>>93365445
>>93368090
>>93370500
>>93371347
Atlantis should be the next released faction after New Jerusalem. (After that are Jotenheim and Home in some order, then Botany Bay and [spoilers!] in some other order.) And yes, underwater combat rules will be included
>>
>>93373495
i do not think i should trust what this anon is saying, but i will because hes saying exactly what i want to hear.
>>
>>93373655
Good idea, everything said in this site should be taken with a grain of salt. Anyway, my favorite Angel is probably the Hakham. Easily the best-looking Rotary Laser in the game so far.
>>
>>93373495
>And yes, underwater combat rules will be included
Oh, neat. I was wondering about that,if an Atlantis army was going to be more than just "sub" the faction. This is going to be a Blitz additional rule though? rather than a spin-off game like Heavy Gear Arena was?
>>
>>93373495
Very much looking forward to getting more info on Home and especially on Botany Bay.
>>
Any anons with Mekton Zeta knowledge?
I am currently designing some mektons for my campaign, however it is my first time running this system, so I have no idea if i have the right approach. Basically, I want to design 3 starter mecha for my players, all using the same basic frame, but with different armaments and other small changes.
The idea is to have one melee oriented variant, one generalist and one long range to choose from. I have already finished the generalist one ending up at 229,1CP. I am not sure if it isn't too much for a starter. Obviously I want all 3 variants to be around the same CP cost, so I want to make sure it's alright before I continue.
>>
>>93373495
Botany bay? What kind of mechs come from here?
>>
File: parttime.jpg (897 KB, 1200x1600)
897 KB
897 KB JPG
>>93373495
>Atlantis should be the next released faction after New Jerusalem. (After that are Jotenheim and Home in some order, then Botany Bay and [spoilers!]

The fuckers who left Earth on the pre-Tannhauser colony ships are coming back WITH A VENGENCE
>>
>>93376817
probably either just low end scrapped together stuff, or direct hand me downs/copies of whatever Black Talon can get to them, given their lore.
>>
>>93376817
Rusted out trains filled with spiders. All while they drink beer in cans.
>>
>>93377896
Too australian.
>>
>>93377896
Not australian enough.
>>
>>93377003
i bet paxton looks at caprice and gets a boner that can be seen from space.
>>
>>93371588
Yeah I use the Mr Hobby Mr Surfacer grey because it's nice and thin. In the past though I have just sprayed a layer of dullcote to add some matte grit for paint to stick to and that worked OK, not great.
>>
>>93376559
Everything in Metkton is custom, so the bar is really set by what you let your players have. It should be fine as long as you design enemies with this in mind, less points for grunt enemies, more points for bosses, etc. but the stats of the pilots, especially their reflex stat, is more important
>>
>>93376817
Presumably none, same with Home.
I doubt Botany Bay would much have the drive for that kind of thing given the state of the planet and its life even before Earth cut them off, but we know almost nothing about them so it's hard to say for certain. I'm still interested in them.
As for Home, according to 4E it was taken "with almost no fight at all," and it was "owned by a single corporation who quickly decided to ally with the CEF instead of fighting." It's a production hub, as well, so they presumably just manufacture CEF units.
>>
I have now hit 100 pages. v.0.7 is mostly just minor fixes, though we do have one major new addition - Weapon Arms. Directly integrated weapons as opposed to equipped ones. Version 0.8 will feature the finished game economy with prices for all weapons and will be the first version I would genuinely consider properly playable right out of the box. After that it will be polishing everything up, giving it a once-over and then heavy reformatting, which will be the complete system.
>>
>>93376559
>Any anons with Mekton Zeta knowledge?
[emerges from the ruins]
Who summons me...?

>I am currently designing some mektons for my campaign, however it is my first time running this system, so I have no idea if i have the right approach.
Understandable! I love and am proud of Mekton Z, but given 30 years of hindsight there are some things we should have done differently. And one of those things is we should have included more guidance and benchmarks for mecha construction.

>Basically, I want to design 3 starter mecha for my players, all using the same basic frame, but with different armaments and other small changes.
OK, easy enough.

>The idea is to have one melee oriented variant, one generalist and one long range to choose from. I have already finished the generalist one ending up at 229,1CP. I am not sure if it isn't too much for a starter. Obviously I want all 3 variants to be around the same CP cost, so I want to make sure it's alright before I continue.
That's not crazy. I consider a modest Mekton design to be about 150cp. 75cp more for a player Mek isn't bad.

>>93379770
>Everything in Metkton is custom, so the bar is really set by what you let your players have.
Correct!

>It should be fine as long as you design enemies with this in mind, less points for grunt enemies, more points for bosses, etc. but the stats of the pilots, especially their reflex stat, is more important.
Also true.
>>
>>93381940
Man, do I ever admire your work ethic!
>>
>>93381989
I know it looks that way, but right now you're seeing the third revision of this concept. It's been a disaster for a long time, and only now does it more or less work.
>>
>>93381781
That being said, I really hope that Botany Bay does have a proper role to play in the fight and that they do have units of their own, whatever they may be. I love seeing new stuff.
>>
>>93382002
hey least you got something.
im still barely on the foundation of my own stuff.
>>
>>93382074
Give that shit time and make a good foundation first. I tried rushing it and it was a colossal nightmare because I was fucking retarded. I’d rather you didn’t go down the same retarded path that I did.
>>
>>93382082
yeah, i know.
for me its just my mind can be sporadic, especially given the scale i want, so sometimes it wants to focus on something im just several steps away from being able to really work on properly.
>>
>>93373957
Yeah. I don’t think anyone would buy a dedicated heavy gear submarine game anyway.

>>93377003
[spoilers!] aren’t those guys, but I’m not going to say those guys are out of the picture either,

>>93376817
>>93377896
>>93381781
>>93382040
Botany Bay’s units are… well, we don’t actually know yet. Back in the day there was a plan to have them be like Patlabor but that never worked and was scrapped. There are a few different ideas floating around, I know one guy really wants them to have VFs/LAMs and another wants repurposed mining equipment Armored Core style.

Home builds stuff for the CEF but also has their own cheaper units for defense and riot control. Think Maschinen Krieger meets Judge Dredd, with a dose of Brigador. Of course, they also have the [spoilers!] who draw heavily on [spoilers!] but this stuff is all very early in development so it might change a bit by the time they actually show up.
>>
File: starsiege_5.jpg (14 KB, 334x247)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>93382266
>Botany Bay’s units are… well, we don’t actually know yet
Might I suggest having some Starsiege Hercs as a source of inspiration? Would also go well with the MTs from Armored Core idea. I think retrofitted mining mechs make sense for a prison planet. LAMs seem a bit too out there. At least from the little I know of Botany Bay. Plus that might be stepping on Eden's VTOL shtick. Then again MTs/Hercs might be too much like Engineering Gears.
>>
>>93382266
>There are a few different ideas floating around, I know one guy really wants them to have VFs/LAMs and another wants repurposed mining equipment Armored Core style.
What would VF stand for in this context? I'm drawing a blank right now. LAMs seem a bit advanced, don't they? But repurposed mining equipment would make sense, I dig that.
I'm interested to see what Home's cheaper units look like, my favourite thing in mech media is being able to use cheap, underpowered and/or obsolete mechs and make something out of them. I love underdog situations. Botany Bay could make me quite happy if we get that with converted miners.
>>
>>93382450
>What would VF stand for in this context
Macross Units is what I think anon means.
>>
>>93382266
>Botany Bay’s units are… well, we don’t actually know yet.
Also, I hope that this chance is taken to go a bit buck wild with the design ideas compared to the other planets. Junky, misshapen designs, more alien designs, things that stand out from the other units in general. Could even use the premise of them being on a planet laden with radioactive metal to use nuclear reactors as power plants, giving way to bigger machines than usual or more regularly-sized machines that have insane operating times.
>>93382535
Hmm, I see.
>>
File: T-HENKEI.jpg (47 KB, 600x550)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>93382450
>What would VF stand for in this context? I'm drawing a blank right now. LAMs
VF = Variable Fighter
LAM = Land-Air Mech (Battletech's term for Variable Fighter)
Basically, your robot can turn into a jet or space fighter or some similar flight-adapted alternate mode.
>>
>>93382450
Not him but likely Variable Fighters, like from Macross.
I really, really don’t want that in Heavy Gear and would appreciate it if they’d avoid the wacky tech creep with every new faction.
>>
>>93383310
I am very much inclined to agree. The most appropriate way would be to simply emphasize technological divergence, rather than suddenly have a hidden elf planet with biogears or some bullshit. Gear-equivalents with maybe some rocket boosters to jump? Could be sick as hell. Transforming mechs? It becomes far too super mech and too far from the more grounded heavy mechanized infantry deal.
>>
>>93383310
I don't know, Is a VF clone that far removed from the transforming Hussar or the VTOL wings of the Griffin and Gargoyle? Granted those are also some of my least favorite designs but still. I think there could be a right way to do it. Maybe just not as technologically sleak as a VF/LAM is. Definitely wouldn't fit Botony Bay though. I feel like it would be a Eden, Utopia, or NJ design.
>>
Gears are awfully small to be transformable...
>>
>>93383520
>Is a VF clone that far removed from the transforming Hussar
Yes. Very much so.
>or the VTOL wings of the Griffin and Gargoyle
You’re implying those aren’t wacky tech creep to begin with.
>>
File: DP9-LYNX2PACK.jpg (56 KB, 600x600)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>93384037
That didn't stop them.
>>
>>93384037
i mean we have the lynx, ferret/weasel, kiinda the naga, coyote, jerboas, and hussar that all are 'transformable enough' to justify another step forward i'd say.
>>
>>93384070
>You’re implying those aren’t wacky tech creep to begin with.
Even then, just grabbing some VTOL wings and slapping them on a couple of big units is a far cry from a unit that can transform between a walker and a fighter jet.
>>
Okay so big no on LAMs for Heavy Gear then.
But what about Jovian Chronicles?
>>
>>93384190
also, how would they even implement that, given how they do Airstrike counters?
>you may transform this unit into an airstrike counter with the following profile. once used as an airstrike counter, remove it from play like you would a normal airstrike counter.
would actually be kinda funny if they did that.
>>
>>93384238
>once used as an airstrike counter, remove it from play like you would a normal airstrike counter.
Sounds good to me.
>>
File: IMG_9528.gif (34 KB, 596x605)
34 KB
34 KB GIF
>>93382408
That sort of design is already earmarked for Home, though once again that stuff is all preliminary and could change

>>93382450
>>93382535
>>93383310
Variable Fighter, yeah. And from what the guy’s said he doesn’t want full transformation, just like this Orguss thing in Picrel. >>93384238 seems correct here though, I’m not sure what it would actually add to the game other than I guess VTOL/Ground movement.

>>93384218
They would definitely fit there but it would require Jovian Chronicles to not be dead.

Variable Fighter
>>
>>93383310
>>93384070
The thing about wacky tech creep is that it’s been baked in from the start with hovertanks, and there’s arguably nothing that can creep further than that beyond “better hovertanks”
>>
>>93385215
Well Hovertanks themselves could have been even more bullshit. I like that they're more of a general hovercraft / low level helicopter rather than a tank with super powerful thrusters that can fly. Gives them a reason to be vulnerable. Not sure how the fucking Overlord is able to keep up with the energy demands though but at least that monster gives a reason for Gear-Striders to exist.
>>
File: AC4-Normal.jpg (23 KB, 474x399)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>93385196
>just like this Orguss thing in Picrel
Ah, that makes more sense for Heavy Gear. Still not sure about it being for Botony Bay, though I could see needing to avoid radioactivity as much as possible. I'd imagine a design to still be more bulky to keep with the general aesthetic though. Like a Naga with VTOL wings which is basically just a Helicopter with legs. That or with the Armored Core thing I think the super thick MTs/AC4 normals could also work like pic.
>That sort of design is already earmarked for Home
Oh. Nice! An exposed cockpit like that probably makes more sense for something that isn't a radioactive hellhole anyway.
>>
>>93385632

How about instead one of the new factions has very advanced power armor, instead of the minimecha which is found throughout human space? They are not invincible, but perhaps they could be carrying the same amount of firepower as a gear well-being usable by infantry
>>
>>93385699
What I would not do for a potential quadruped Gear or Gear-equivalent.
>>
File: Meggido.jpg (64 KB, 681x582)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>93387893
Caprice says Hi
>>
>>93387965
Yeah but it should have arms too though. I just kinda want a Kodiak with four legs at the end of the day cos I'm a derivative cunt.
>>
File: 300px-Rabbu.jpg (27 KB, 300x355)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>93387978
Closest off the top of my head is still the caprician bois with the Rabbu, which is a kickass looking unit. Not quite heavy like a Kodiak though.
>>
speaking of caprice, two questions;

>Is the Cybernetics upgrade worth it?
just seems hard to justify getting an infantry unit up to 6-9 points for the firepower they wield, especially so for the movement speed they have if not in a transport or special deployment.

>LGM upgrade on the Aphek
just general opinions on this upgrade.
testing has proven it has some use, i'll admit,, it just feels incredibly niche a use. really, if you dont expect to have to flush ALOT of infantry out of cover, or you're struggling to find another place to put that 1 point, it doesn't feel like it has much use.
and it feels like if you really do expect that much infantry, theres probably other options to take for your list just in general.
>>
File: Capture.png (161 KB, 649x416)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
>>93386720
Power armour could be cool, but the very first technical manual talks about why the concept never took off and it'd been developed even well back into the 21st century before they found that walkers were just significantly better. Picrel.
Unfortunately, I feel like they'd potentially just end up being more expensive GREL units in practice.
>>
File: ExoArmor.jpg (174 KB, 539x419)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>93388581
What's the deal with APEs then? And even more recently the Achillus and FLAILs.
>Unfortunately, I feel like they'd potentially just end up being more expensive GREL units in practice.
That's basically what the Achillus is though they're similar in price.
>>
File: rabbu1.jpg (1.76 MB, 2633x2194)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>93388027
Posting non-ant Rabbu
>>
Botany bay seems a prime objective for Vital suits like mechs.
>>
>>93388662
APEs are still over 3 meters tall, some on the cusp 4. Moreso vehicles than suits.
And aren't FLAILs cyborgs? I'm not familiar with Achillus.
>>
>>93388730
I was gonna say that Lost Planet is a good place to look for some inspiration. Such awesome designs.
>>
File: achillus.png (160 KB, 801x555)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>93388966
you may of missed the paxton power armor because they're 'new' in the blitz companion.

theres also now Utopian automaton troopers too. including a suicide variant which i just find hilarious.
>>
File: Ape_Heavy.jpg (59 KB, 503x543)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>93388966
>APEs are still over 3 meters tall, some on the cusp 4. Moreso vehicles than suits.
It's kinda debatable. While yes they're fuckhuge for Power Armor they still technically are as such. No cockpit. Rather the users limbs extend to the suits for operation. You can even see where a persons hands would fit where the leather squares are on the arms. Ripping the arms off an APE user would be extemely painful. Unlike a Gear I'd imagine an APE to still be somewhat operational after engine failure.
>I'm not familiar with Achillus.
They're brand new. There's a small description in the Blitz Companion book. I guess Paxton cracked the power armor problem by shrinking a Gear down. As for FLAILs they are cybernetic but I don't know to what extent, They're either brains in jars, or basically power armor with an extra interface for the person, or somewhere in between.
>>
>>93388662
>>93389081
FLAILS are brains in jars.
specifically GREL brains in jars.
specifically, because fuck GREL i guess, GREL who were allowed to grow naturally in their bodies, then had their brain scooped out, because apparently growing JUST the brain in the jar didn't work out as well.
>>
I vaguely remember a homebrew planet settled by one of the slower-than-light colonization vessels which invented their own combat mini-mecha that went in a different direction than any of the Terra Nova powers. They had gone through something akin to the Saint Vincent's War, but tensions remained high afterwards, and apparently someone found a Tannhäuser gate leading to their planet. Whether it was Earth or Terra Nova remained a mystery.
>>
>>93389077
We have now clankers in HG? Sweet.
>>
>>93389081
also, you're slightly wrong.
APEs only have the arms go partially into the arms, not entirely. so theres still a forward section of the arms (at least the hands) that are fully mechanical, which puts it IMO more at the typical exo suit level over power armor(for general sci fi terms, obviously with the Achillus HGB thinks differently), and means it would probably not function without power.

given its potential size too, im inclined to believe the arms dont go into the limbs past the elbows joints, but i dont think theres a description or x-ray anywhere to actually specify further, so we really dont know.
>>
File: automaton.png (194 KB, 794x663)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>93389160
the name is familiar but the exact reference you are referring too is slipping my tongue.
>>
File: 1691653701546856.jpg (7 KB, 250x249)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Mekton Zero is still going to release... I just feel it in my bones... two more weeks... two more fucking weeks... Don't lose hope, Mektonbros...
>>
>>93389081
>You can even see where a persons hands would fit where the leather squares are on the arms.
Ah, fair, i've not often looked at their details very closely. I see what you're talking about, can also see inner thighs in a couple of designs. My bad.
>>93389162
>which puts it IMO more at the typical exo suit level over power armor
I agree, it's definitely less of a vehicle than I originally thought, but i'd still classify it as an exo suit. Which I think is an excellent medium between power armour and vehicles for HG to strike.
>>
>>93390414
yeah. would've been interesting to see them expand on the APE/Golem design a bit more, but they took different paths with both factions. which to be fair, i think lore wise they justified why pretty well, still doesn't mean i cant want to see more of the unique 'exo suit' line of technology be explored.
>>
>>93389181
Anon, It's Joever. Unless you want to run a ransom on Mike Pollock and only give him back his Cyberpunk earnings to use on Mekton again.
>>
>>93390557
>Mike Pollock
*Pondsmith
Don't go after Eggman.
>>
>>93390503
>still doesn't mean i cant want to see more of the unique 'exo suit' line of technology be explored.
Yeah...I think Eden especially would've been good for this, alas...
Maybe one of the new factions will play with it a bit more.
>>
>>93390598
>Yeah...I think Eden especially would've been good for this, alas...
Desu I headcanon the new Golems as being APE derivatives anyway (or at least the similar sized, not Griffon and Centaur ones). You can't tell me a Warlock isn't just an APE with a Radar dish head. Or that the Doppel isn't the Jaguar to an APEs Hunter.
>>
>>93390620
not gonna lie, i think visually the Animus is one of my favorite 'gear' designs.
weaponry wise though its pretty bog standard.
>>
File: 1703317578462090.jpg (1.3 MB, 1240x1754)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
Give me a super crunchy anime-esque mecha RPG system with as much mecha customization/maintenance/minutia as possible.
I'm currently reading Mekton Zeta, as I couldn't find anything else like it. All the other mech systems I've found seem to focus more on narrative and/or combat, and avoid getting crunchy with the mecha themselves.
I'm about to go to bed, so I'll just say thanks in advance if anyone happens to help me out with this.
>>
>>93386720
It’s coming

>>93388581
This was always bullshit because the point of power armor is to make infantry better, not to turn infantry into a tank. Some of the early Heavy Gear stuff was written by people who weren’t quite able to conceptualize that they weren’t writing for Battletech (like how the northern vehicle guide thinks Gears would replace tanks). An infantryman that’s faster and carries bigger guns is better than an infantryman that isn’t, full stop.

>>93388966
>>93389081
>>93389162
>>93390414
>>93390503
APES are a tricky one because they were originally intended to be power armor but someone fucked up the numbers on the profile and made them too big. Actual power armor-scale APES will be showing up at some point, though the originals will stick around tol

>>93390620
Not even headcanon, that’s the actual explanation
>>
>>93391260
For what you want,l Mekton Z is pretty much it, man.

Except for my system, which I'm working on at an absolutely glacial pace.
>>
>>93391260
GURPS Vehicles and the CORPS VDS are highly autismal vehicle design systems that both include walking motive systems, though they're not that anime (GURPS can plug Mecha into it, though).
The Japanese system family Metalhead can get fairly detailed when accessorising your mecha as well.
>>
>>93391556
>This was always bullshit because the point of power armor is to make infantry better, not to turn infantry into a tank.
I'll preface this by saying I don't intend any disrespect with this response.
While I do like power armour a lot, I don't feel like this specific line of thinking would really work for Heavy Gear. Say you fully develop power armour as it should be; just infantry enhancement. It probably doesn't really change the situation much. They're faster and more powerful than regular infantry, but the vehicles are still around and will still destroy them fairly easily. Even just fighting against each other, they'll quickly start improving their armour and weaponry to bypass that armour. So you give them bigger guns and more armour, but it'll just slow them down and the other vehicles will still advance alongside them. The logical solution would be to make them bigger and improve their power, to better be able to handle heavier armour and weapons whilst retaining speed and mobility, but why do that when walkers already exist and already fulfil that role?
>>
>>93388662
>>93389077
Fuck, these things look great, but the scale irl is wonky. Would rather have had a stl for these to rrskze to exactly what I needed. They're just a mm or two too small
>>
>>93392014
their legs, mainly the bottom half, look a wee too big to me, is my only complaint, but overall i think its fine.
you can always do stand in models if you like the unit but think the model isnt exactly to what you like.
>>
>>93391986
No disrespect taken.
The point is that vehicles destroying them fairly easily isn’t a flaw in the design. They’re infantry, that was going to happen no matter what. The point is to be better than other infantry. The big benefit isn’t weapons and armor its speed and carrying capacity.

>>93392058
Apparently the legs aren’t quite what it looks like “in-universe”, we just don’t have any art of it yet
>>
>>93392116
>The big benefit isn’t weapons and armor its speed and carrying capacity.
Now that you say that, I feel like they would be a good way of expanding combat engineering and infantry support without cutting into costs too much. There aren't many combat engineering units and the Lynx is the only infantry support that comes clearly to my mind. I vaguely recall some Ferret variant that was attached to infantry, but I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>93385196
Actually, when I remember how that one Decepticon transformed from a helicopter, I think the "attack helicopter transformation" is underrated compared to the jet fighter.

Otoh, how many wargames even try to tackle Macross?
>>
>>93392205
>how many wargames even try to tackle Macross?
You may hate this answer but
Battletech.
>>
>>93389179
Its the slur the Republic troops use for the cis droids.
>>
File: FrontMission.png (2.94 MB, 1509x853)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB PNG
>>93347373
Which ruleset would you use to run a campaign set in the front mission serie?
>>
>>93392528
Front Mission literally is Battletech with the serials filed off.
>>
>>93392808
But the mechs are WAY bigger in battletech aren't they?
>>
File: 1427056907844.jpg (564 KB, 1347x955)
564 KB
564 KB JPG
>>93392871
Height in BT is utterly abstract and only losely related to any RL units of distance. Thing is you got two ground movement modes, destructible limbs, ablative armour mechanics plus pretty much all of the guns already statted. You also got full customization support that's linked to the gameplay balancing mechanics.

At max, you'll be using some of the existing alternative rules to rebalance lasers and autocannons closer to Front Mission gameplay.
>>
>>93347373
I'm looking into cheap mech miniatures, but don't have a 3D printer.
So far I've got the ones from Em4 miniatures on my radar.
Any other sources I should be aware of?
>>
File: 1720981484778456.jpg (83 KB, 894x906)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>93395244
have you seen the gundam artifact ones?
>>
>>93395666
oh, wait, they're not exactly cheap. missed that part
>>
>>93391260
>>
File: 1703860716189625.jpg (37 KB, 347x262)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>93396019
true enough
>>
>>93392239
Battletech was the only one I know of offhand. Maybe Palladium did some kickstarter scam too.

Combining modern jet combat with mech combat seems like it would be really hard, or you'd have a gynormous ground scale and have to really abstract dogfighting.
>>
>>93396170
If you can't make it as much pilot, you can always be a LARPing NEET just like real life

Also one of the disasters for this life path is someone "betraying" you by forcing you to get a job
>>
>>93396668
>Also one of the disasters for this life path is someone "betraying" you by forcing you to get a job
kek
>>
>>93391260
>>93396019
I'll take some time to add a pitch
>~350 pgs with setting, premade mecha, lore and rules
>Life path character creation and aging rules, survival, strain/g forces, cybernetics, genetic engineering
>Technical System derived from Mekton with creation for parts, mecha, weapons, etc
>Mecha salvaging guidelines, repairs, ammo, fuel, maintenance and recurrent costs, running a company of soldiers at scale
>>
>>93398462
are you the author? i've skimmed a bit of it so far and the english alone is better than that of most popular systems i've read. the system itself seems good too, but i haven't gotten too far into it. if this was made by an anon that's fucking awesome
>>
>>93398977
Yeah. I have an updated version I can drop later on, and in the meantime I can answer questions if there are any. I appreciate any readers and interest outside of my playgroup. I used to have big dreams of publishing it but life takes turns so I'll probably just put it out on itch.io this year or next.
>>
>>93399031
cool, man. i'll try to read it more thoroughly when i'm not so busy (should be soon). cool to see a fa/tg/uy who actually makes content, and good content at that
>>
>>93396019
>>93399031
As another fa/tg/uy making a mecha game, nice fucking work, anon. You've got some impressive stuff.
>>
File: Playtest v3.2.pdf (3.5 MB, PDF)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB PDF
>>93399031
>>93399101
Here's the most up-to-date version. IIRC there's more mechs, some spelling and grammar corrections, changes to how debt works for individual characters, and some efforts to balance combat and the technical system based on playtesting.

>>93399700
Thanks, I skimmed yours and think you have a good idea making tables ahead of time, it let you pack in a lot of content.
>>
>>93400023
Probably the one long-sighted decision I ever made with this project - the amount of revisions I had to make previously boggles the bloody mind.
>>
>>93390563

Especially since, come to think of it, Eggman has provided us with decades of fine /m/ content hasn't he?
>>
>>93392528
Heavy Gear or Votoms. Wanzer and Gears shared huge numbers of similarities.
>>
File: jagerArming.jpg (1.37 MB, 1646x1273)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>93402853
I'll second that.
While BT has a similar locational damage thing going for it like FM, you can simulate the same kind of effects in HG. And HG is way closer in scale and tactics to FM.
>>
File: IMG_2938.jpg (35 KB, 523x306)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Alternative take on d20 system

>3D system is what I call it to sound cool and important

>first die is representative of pilot expertise
>starts at d4 and goes up to d12 based on class passives
>second die is representative of mech parts/customization specialties
>also starts at d4 and goes up to d12
>third die is representative of miscellaneous advantages like surprise and strategic positions
>does not apply if there’s no advantages present but also goes up to d12

>add your d3 together and any +1s you may or may not have gotten to determine success of an action

I really really like the concept of the dice representing the different aspects of your character, and it would be very satisfying for players to roll it, but on the other hand, I worry that there’s too many moving parts with most actions having different dice values. Any opinions?

>i wann shoot a guy and i have X and Y pilot skills, A B and C mech parts that apply, and I’m also stealth and locked on which is counteracted by long range so im throwing d8/10/4
>now I want to dodge out of the way with D pilot skill, E and F mech parts and no advantage so I’m throwing d6/d8

Is it fair to just put the responsibility on tracking their dice values on the players? Is it fine assuming the player isn’t retarded? Because I DO believe that not every system has to be for everyone, as long as it’s ultimately fun.
>>
>>93392528
Battletech if you’re emulating the gameplay, Heavy Gear if you’re emulating the setting
>>
File: 1346689253967.jpg (11 KB, 399x382)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>93406368
>Battletech if you’re emulating the gameplay

I don't quite remember falling over like a retard after missing a melee attack in Front Mission
>>
>>93406289
easiest way to streamline it is making at least the Pilot and Mech Parts dice 'universal'.
aka, you will always use the same dice for everything once assigned, instead of having to remember specific scenarios.
this means minus when you swap them out at level up or during upgrades, you dont have to try to juggle which dice to use when, but just have 2/3s of the dice set aside ready to go at all times without really having to think about it.

last dice can be streamlined by condensing the situations you would get dice and what dice you get into an easy to pull up/keep out chart that doesnt take long to reference.
>>
>>93406494
I can definitely streamline it to some degree, but making the dice universal as you said would defeat the purpose of having customizable traits at all. If a mech pilot is a sharp shooting sniper, why would he get a bonus for making a melee attack or dodging out of the way and etc.
>>
>>93406546
well for that example, you can split it up into a defensive and offensive universal dice (and chart for the last one).
still means only 4 set dice, instead of possibly infinite, but also solves exactly that.
can also i suppose split it up into melee vs shooting too, for a total of 6-8 dice (depending on how you do it).

getting a bit iffy there, but again, still easier to keep track of and keeps things simplified and easier to remember and manage, than having to double check each and every time a scenario happens.
>>
>>93406578
Set pilot dice for every action categorized into
>melee
>range
>defense
Mech dice also follow the same ruling for 6 set dice + the advantage die? Something like that?
>>
>>93406627
yeah.
biggest point being, if you try to make the potential for a different dice in every possibly situation, its gonna get too complicated. boil it down and condense the situations into something more easily manageable.
thats simply the most boiled down you will most likely get, while still having actual differences taken into consideration.
the last dice (chart or no chart) can easily be used to still give a feeling of fluidity to changing situations and their effects on the fight, like you seem to want, without having to apply that fluidity too broadly.
>>
>>93406664
Yea I’m liking it a lot. I still have to playtest or really think about where the fine line is though. Blocking, dodge rolling, and using jet boosters to dodge an attack would all be considered defensive, and although I don’t really like that fact, it might be necessary for good game flow.
>>
>>93406695
yeah it can be hard to find a balance between options, and gameflow.
good luck though, im sure you can hammer it out. dice tossing arm might get tired by the end though, lol.
>>
File: Startled Mussolini.jpg (63 KB, 613x479)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>get Lancer manual because they told me it's simple and quick, perfect for one shots
>more than 400 pages
>less than a quarter is fluff
Have i been memed? Still going to read and prep a few sessions' worth of stuff, but that's not what I expected.
>>
>>93406771
You got meme’d. Kinda.
The page count is mostly because everything is in one book instead of 3. You get a PHB, DMG, and MM all in one.

Where you fucked up is the idea it’s “quick and easy.” Lancer fags are fucking liars, straight up. That or they have zero self awareness. Lancer is SLOW AS FUCK and a single combat will take HOURS if you don’t have the entire system memorized from front to back. Most lancer fags do, and they think the system is quick and easy when in reality it’s only quick and easy FOR THEM because they have all the rules memorized. Any game is quick and easy if you have all the fucking rules memorized, even clunky shit like Mekton and Battletech. Idiots.

If you’re playing it as a one shot with a new group, your session is getting one and only one combat in.
>>
>>93406771
If you want simple and quick, take Mecha Hack.
>>
>>93406850
Yeah, skimming through it and it does make more sense, I don't suppose I need everything in there from the get go for a run that lasts a couple of sessions. Every manufacturer has some pages and every mech takes up 4 as well, that's less of an issue than what it looked like.
>>
>>93406771
Why would you use Lancer?
>>
>>93406771
you didn't even google the page count before buying it? fuck me dude. are you retarded? /tg/ is bad, but at least most of us know enough to read a pirated copy before throwing money at a game, especially one made by troons
>>
>>93407178
Can't get manuals for other mech systems, I would have got mekton way before that if I could. It's not like I'm not getting my money's worth out of it anyway, I just need to plan differently.
>>
>>93407274
Nigger did you even look at the OP? There’s a fucking trove of dozens of PDFs of all kinds of systems including Mekton and many, many others.
>>
>>93407341
Of course. But I find that having physical manuals is better while playing.
>>
>>93407274
There's a big pastebin at the top of the thread
>>
>>93407359
You can get Heavy Gear physical if you're willing to overpay
>>
>>93407378
Isn't heavy gear a wargame?
>>
>>93407390
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/457450/Heavy-Gear-RPG-Fourth-Edition-Rulebook

Also RPG
>>
>>93407451
This is good to know. You weren't joking about overpaying, I sure hope I wouldn't need any other manual on top of that in case I ever got it.
>>
>>93407470
It's all in there
Though I'd recommend just getting the PDF, printing it, and sticking it in a binder
>>
>>93407486
Well if that is the price then yeah, printing might serously be an option I'd consider.
>>
File: IMG_2942.jpg (99 KB, 1081x662)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
In my system MECtech, there’s 2 damage types and multiple types of attacks. The goal is to give each individual type of attack major strengths and weaknesses. Does this accomplish it?

Physical damage
>resisted by armor. Each level of armor reduces damage from EVERY individual die by that number

Burst fire/rapid fire guns
>always deals damage with d4s or d6s
>a burst is assigned a specific number of individual shots which are then multiplied for ease(usually 3-5 shots)
>5burst d4 means roll 1d4, subtract the target’s armor, multiply what’s left by 5

>rapid fire guns operate in bursts and also has a maximum amount of “bursts” it can shoot in a single turn
>ie, 3shot burst, 5bursts possible in a single attack(15 shots total), with a magazine of 30.
>first burst comes out as a “quick attack” which means the target can’t do anything to defend against it
>all remaining bursts count as slow attacks, which means the target has a chance to roll to block or displace themselves(via combat dive or jet boosters) a space or 2 behind cover which would block all remaining burst

Single fire guns
>typically deals 1 or 2dX worth of damage in the larger die sizes(d8,10,12)
>pistol-type guns are weaker but can be used in counter attacks
>rifle-type guns have longer range and deal damage in d10s or d12s

Melee attacks
>any attack made with a melee attack has a flat +X damage bonus that isn’t reduced by anything

Explosives
>count as slow attacks which always give all affected targets a chance to react
>explosions deal large damage with a flat damage bonus(ie. 4d8+5)
>an explosion attack roll that “misses” the target still hits, and damage is instead reduced by 1die and the flat bonus
>using a reaction to displace yourself usually has a range of 1-3 spaces. Each space between you and the explosion decreases damage by 1die
>>
>>93407704
Cont.

Energy damage
>reduced by equipped energy shields in the same vein as Master Chief’s power armor from Halo, minus the recharging
>energy shields have a battery life of typically 15-30, and a frequency of d4-d12
>energy shield battery life drains by 1 point per every energy-based damage die thrown at you, no matter the die size, and reduced damage by half
>energy shields of the same frequency as the energy attack damaging you(d6 for example) still have their battery life drained as usual, but negate damage instead
>>
New bread?
>>
>>93408328
We reached the 1 week limit like 5 minutes ago, let's wait until we slide further down.
>>
>>93347373
Does anyone know of any Die Pool wargames like Heavy Gear? other than Heavy Gear
>>
>>93407486
Hmm...I have it digitally and physically, but that's actually a pretty good idea for having a cheap physical option that I don't mind roughing up. Thank you.
>>
>>93408905
Anon's Lancehounds is also Silhouette based but it's WIP. Outside that I guess Jovian Chronicles.
>>
>>93409119
>>93408905
>Wargames
Oops my bad. Outside of HG I can't say I know any but I haven't played many wargames either.
>>
>>93408905
Gamma Wolves but it's not really a traditional wargame
>>
>>93409119
What's Lancehounds? Can you tell me more about it? Interesting that it's Sil-based.
>>
>>93409335
its a setting/game mechanics an anon in this general is working on.
>>93381940
>>
File: Tankhead package.jpg (279 KB, 3560x1702)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
Recently got my pre-order of the Tankhead Mechanical Encyclopedia Artbook in. Not directly a Wargame/TTRPG, but I've been following the artist stuff for years now & really love the weird alt-history setting they've cooked up. Highly recommend for anyone who just likes weird alt-history mechs.

Had a conversation with the writer as well & they were intrigued when I said I found the setting very inspiring for TTRPGs with how much thought they'd put into it. They asked what kind of game/gameplay I imagined for it. So I thought I'd pose the query to you guys here as well. What types of mechanics, systems, crunch level, etc do you think best fits an alt-historical war setting with combined arms?
>>
It's already past midnight where I am so I'll go ahead and make the next thread.
>>
Hop onto Mecha Tuesday.

>>93409623
>>93409623
>>
>>93409584
Hex and chits could be awesome, the problem with making it an rpg or mini game is the absolute size of some of the mech.
>>
>>93382408
Botany Bay should use chicken walkers.
Its a given aussies would base their mechs on the fiercest creature they know - Emu.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.