[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Fafnheir.png (515 KB, 701x755)
515 KB
515 KB PNG
ancient evil fae dragon edition

>>IF YOU ARE ASKING A QUESTION, PLEASE SPECIFY WHICH GAME YOU'RE PLAYING<<<

Previous thread: >>93662897

/pfg/ (pathfinder 1e) link repository: https://pastebin.com/RSt0rF0T
/p2g/ (pathfinder 2e) link repository: https://pastebin.com/1zySxwm3
/sfg/ (starfinder) link repository: https://pastebin.com/5yp9s2U3
/3eg/ (D&D 3.X) link repository: https://pastebin.com/VMRsxB2m
/pacgg/ (pathfinder adventure card game) link repository:
https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_games_considered_the_best
The T̶r̶o̶v̶e̶ Vault (seed, please!): bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

TQ: Tell me about your combats against epic and/or mythic monsters
>>
>>93710897
I was wondering where this general went

TQ: Next session my players will fight the Warden of Forests and Meadows, i'm really excited
>>
>>93711027
oh this is ace. i like the change shape lets you play with him as a tree-like fox.
what lead them to need to fight the wardens?
I definitely want to try to introduce the warden of peaks and skies as an enemy to my party - that orogenesis dive is just so sick and cinematic
>>
Pathfinder 1E here.

Going to be starting a new campaign in the near future, Strange Aeons adventure path. I'm very interested in playing an Android Spellslinger (gunmage) class for the flavor of it all. While initially I didn't want to multiclass enough research convinced me it truly is just impossible to solo it and feel effective. So my question is:

Do you think it's more effective to go into another full caster class like Arcanist/Sorcerer, or a more DPS ranged combat type like Eldritch Archer? Also interested in the very early feat suggestions, everyone knows the best caster mid-late ones.

We've got too many players at the start so I suspect the early game will go fine by weight of numbers before some of them doubtlessly get bored and drop out.
>>
P2E, Any advice for a Conrasu Wood/Earth Kinetecist? Thinking Beastmaster archetype for a like a worldturtle mount and Elemental Familiar for a squirrel and just being like a small ecosystem. Shame of it is the Earth aura difficult terrain would fuck up the mount's movement without Safe Aura.
>>
>>93711816
Playing a spellslinger in general in Aeons will work out well enough for you, the main thing you'll want to do in that campaign is max out your saves, especially Will and, secondarily, Fort, ESPECIALLY when you're lower level. If your GM plays it by RAW you're going to be rolling a ton of Will saves to avoid going insane and there's nothing you'll be able to do to cure it for a long time.
>>
File: 1718908700107572.jpg (293 KB, 2048x1365)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
how do we fix Psychic
>>
>>93710897
At the end of Age of Ashes I thre Tarrasque at the party. The nearly died, and only survived because the monk got eaten and managed to not die long enough to punch its heart out.
>>
>>93711816
I'm playing strange aeons right now, RAW (DM didn't change/adapted anything he's running it as it's written), currently book 3
Without entering into spoilers:
Don't bother with backstory
First book is pretty melee focused encounters and you can't buy shit, prepare to be self-reliant
WILL is king, like for real max that shit as soon as possible
>>
File: 100166674_p0.jpg (1.88 MB, 6555x3689)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
Starfinder 2e PCs seem to struggle with gaining long-term swim Speeds.

Armor comes with environmental protections that include breathing underwater. This is good; PCs can, in theory, explore thalassic planets. Unfortunately, the Starfinder 2e playtest book contains virtually no options for gaining a swim Speed that lasts for an appreciably long time. Barathu Adaptable Limbs lasts for only 10 minutes, and Wild Bond lasts for just a minute. Beyond these, swim Speeds have to come from Pathfinder 2e material, which is awkward.

My next playtest adventure is likely going to be 13th level and set in an oceanic planet. I will have to turn to Pathfinder 2e content, such as 6th-level Feet to Fins spells.
https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx?ID=1525
>>
>>93712666
normal number of spell slots and spells known, bonuses for using focus points, unleash psyche should give bigger benefits and last three rounds instead of two, more ways to recover focus points mid-fight, and more class features that make a full psychic better than an archetype psychic (I don't know what those would be desu)
>>
>>93712666
increase focus point amount

that's it
that's literally just it

maybe redo some of the feats but just that would be doing fucking wonders
>>
>>93711816
While the archetype is generaly concidered bad, it has great flavour
I would ask the gm if you can loose two schools instead of four.
Additionaly i would suggest a 1 lvl dip into the Battle Host Occultist (This makes the gun unbreakable) (Taking the transmutation implament) this grants you martial weapons so you can go into Eldritch knight at higher levels
Alternativly you can take a dip into Siege Gunner Gunslinger to get int to grit and then take levels in Eldritch Knight

Regarding Feats the usual Rapid Reload, Point Blank Shot, Presice Shot, Deadly Aim and Rapid Shot
>>
>>93712666
I feel him so underwhelming compared to other casters is unreal. I always loved the flavour of Mind over anything and Force-user chad but he feels not even close to other Occult casters
>>
File: 101881395_p0.jpg (1.21 MB, 2048x1151)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>93712701

Well, actually, barathu Plentiful Adaptation could enable a long-term swim Speed.
>>
>>93712666
Try Tangible Dream, Aeon Rain fucks harder than you'd think.
Real answer, 3 spells per rank and more consistent access to spell list sniping. Only one subclass getting anything fun from other lists feels shitty.
Make psyche last three turns so you can at least keep it up through the average trash fight.

The real question is how do we fix inventor
>>
>>93712666
Why bother? Actual psionic classes are just sitting right over there and they work how they should just fine.
>>
>>93713001
make its core class features reliable (more likely to succeed at overdrive and unstable actions not locking you out of other unstable actions) and it immediately becomes pretty good
>>
>>93713001
Overdrive not having a chance to randomly explode would be a good start.
>>
>>93713021
Can you provide examples, fellow psionic enjoyer?
>>
>>93713001
Inventor needs actual class features and not the trash they have to deal with overdrive specially.
The concept of inventions is awesome, the excution is pathetic.
>>
>>93713088
I'm guessing he's talking about the DSP stuff from 1E. And if you're talking 1E that is in fact the correct answer but I don't know of any good equivalents for 2E.
>>
>>93712445
>Shame of it is the Earth aura difficult terrain would fuck up the mount's movement without Safe Aura.
Earth's aura junction only effects enemies
>Aura Junction Squares in the aura are difficult terrain for *your enemies*, but only if moving into the square would make the enemy farther away from you.
>>
>>93713001
>fix inventor
You don't. The class was written by the same low-functioning autist who gets a dopamine hit when the Shokk Attack Gun jams and he has to roll on the random table of "how hard did I fuck myself with a cattle prod"
>>
File: 1444998882433.jpg (185 KB, 1024x638)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
At a glance it seems like kineticist could be surprisingly competitive just running earth and then using two melee blasts per turn.
It's hard to figure out your average turn, at least with 2 cost overflows you clearly just Overflow > Stance up.
Think I picked one of the harder first classes to try, getting an idea of the typical turn is surprisingly hard.
>>
>>93713853
I've heard Earth/Metal and Fire/Earth are both strong.
>>
>>93713853
They make very good grapplers since you can combine the aura and skill junction with being able to use save impulses like tremor.
>>
>>93713865
I'm looking at both and they both seem pretty fun. Metal seems like the sketchiest element by a mile, being too contextual or being unbelievably convoluted (What on earth does plate in treasure even do to your impulses?)
Lava Leap is incredible though and I am definitely considering building around it.

>>93713903
Does it fit well into their action economy? The Sand Snatcher seems wacky good, especially for setting up Flanking
>>
>>93713865
fire/earth has crazy bullshit AC stacking, it's kind of comical in how stupid it can get with Lava Leap
>>
>>93713919
It's not something you'd use on every adversary because it's usually not necessary.
Say with wyverns for instance that like to strafe with flight, you can just channel elements to assume earths mantle or armor in earth and ready a grapple, then once you have the wyvern grabbed you can subject it to your impulses.
Or against a fleeing enemy you can lava leap into them and grab them.
You might instead decide that grappling is the wrong move against say a zombie horde and instead just stride away and use tremors to create difficult terrain.

Kineticists are very flexible in how they approach encounters.
>>
>>93713490
Right, not the Earth Aura, but Wood's Pollen stance.
>>
>>93713968
I ran a 3-session adventure for two people I knew from another group (Dwarf Flickmace Fighter and Half-elf Thief Rogue) and wanted to try characters from the remaster. The Rogue had two friends, one was desparate for a group and the other was fresh off the 5e boat. So I decided everyone would start at Level 5 to try class features and such.
The Fighter rolls up with a Fire/Earth Kineticist, rocking Armor in Earth, Weapon Infusion, and Lava Leap for feats. I wrote this down here because I had no clue what his character did, he was on the honor system, and I wanted to know the secret spices and herbs after what he did.
Our Rogue hands me way too much backstory by campaign standards (remember, this is a 3-shot) for his Divine Witch. I realize anything I have to say about how bad this subclass looked is hitting deaf ears behind a brick wall, so whatever.
Unfortunately, the two friends he's brought are playing a Resentment Witch and a Wizard (the 5e refugee). I say something to the two players from the other game like, "is 4 casters going to cut it?" Fighter/Kineticist makes eye contact and says, "trust me, I got this." OK, Chad.
He did, actually. Not a single party wipe. Despite my best attempts he kept escaping and going back to get help. I cut things off at the end of the second session because it was clear this was about to become a solo adventure but damn what a beast. Dude had insane AC, d8 and Reach, was adding STR and CON to damage too, fucking ignores anything Fortitude or AC related, and I didn't have anything with an Athletics high enough for him to care about Reflex before it died.
What an absolute menace. Stephen if you ever see this post well fucking played, man, your character still haunts my dreams.
>>
Tell me what you think

Magus

Spellstrike
Don't have to recharge it anymore. Expending it gives benefits.

Mage's Focus
When you use Spellstrike, if you choose to expend your Spellstrike, your spellcasting doesn't trigger reactions.

Spell Combat, or Eldritch Combat or Arcane Acts
2-to-3 Actions
You can combine different combat actions with your spellcasting. When you Cast a Spell, as part of the actions used to cast, you can also perform a Stride of up to half of your Speed, Step, Interact to draw a weapon, or Arcane Cascade. You can also perform this activity as part of your Spellstrike, but you must choose to expend your Spellstrike while doing so. If you choose to cast a 1-Action Spell, this activity stills uses at least 2-Actions, up to 3-Actions.

You can choose to perform the action either before or after the Cast a Spell(or Spellstrike) is resolved, except for Arcane Cascade, which must be used after the spellcasting is resolved.

Sparkling Targe: Can Raise a Shield with Spell Combat
Starlit Span: Can reload with Spell Combat
>>
>>93713968
>>93714158
Am I retarded or would Lava Leap + Armor in Earth just add up to a heavily armored character with a shield? Not that that's not tanky, but when I hear "crazy bullshit" I don't think "standard defensive build for the system."
Unless I'm misunderstanding, the d8 + reach + Str + Con costs two actions, and becomes less impressive next to a barbarian with a pre-remaster flickmace or even an asp coil once the barbarian hits level 7 for the damage spike.
Not that Lava Leap isn't great action econ considering it's Stride + Raise Shield + damage effect.
>>
>>93714476
>Not that Lava Leap isn't great action econ considering it's Stride + Raise Shield + damage effect.
Well, it's overflow and Raise Shield is like, negative action economy. So it's not actually that good.
>>
>>93714459
Considering the class is designed around being in melee range (aside from Starlight Span), Spellstrike not triggering reactions feels like it should probably be the default. Still, making it just a thing you can do and having the recharge aspect be a way to add extras to it would be a nice improvement
>>
>>93714476
You're not wrong, about the AC stacking, but the damage is really good once you add on stuff like Thermal Nimbus and the Fire Aura junction. And Lava Leap is aoe and it isn't hard to hit 3+ people with it. Add in the fact that it can do all this with no resources spent and at the fraction of the cost of a traditional martial.
>>
>>93714674
This is my plan for my first pf2e character.
It also seems nice to really only need the gate attenuator as a class item, that frees up a lot of gold for consumables and party donations.
>>
Embrace Tanuki Supremacy
>>
>>93712666
6 focus points.
boom. fixed.
youre welcome
>>
>>93714158
>>93714476
>>93714509
>>93714674
You'd shit yourself over a champion if you're impressed by a kineticist.
>>
>>93711816
I don't have a lot to add except that spellslinger 1/eldritch archer X is a fun and effective build. I've been using it for a villain in my game for a while now and it really pumps out the damage when you use spells that are supposed to be against regular AC but go against touch AC. So, Stone Discus is a must.
Also for feats, anything that you would normally grab for a gunslinger in the early levels works well. Using Rapid Reload with a paper cartridge on a one handed firearm is kind of key for good action economy.
>>
PF2: What's better Fighter with Wizard Archetype, Wizard with Fighter Archetype or Magus?
>>
>>93715058
They each do different things, choose what best suits the character concept.
Wizard with fighter archetype sounds like a bad time though unless you have a really cunning plan like taking a bunch of shield feats or abusing sure strike and probably staff nexus for more sure strikes.
>>
>>93715058
Wizard with fighter archetype is horrendous. It does nothing of use. You have the worst caster class in the game and then ... get nothing from Fighter archetype.

Fighter with Wizard archetype is the best melee class in the game, and now you have access to utility spells at a reasonable bulk. Because there's a crazy bevy of items that give you low level slots and you can use a staff of spellstriking converted into gauntlets. A ring of wizardry, with an endless grimoire and said staff are basically providing, at a minimum around 2 + MaxSlot lvl 1 spells you can use for True Striking, for added critting. All of this without having to actually take any of the wizard dedication feats beyond the first. It also gives you guaranteed access to wands which means you can have permanent tailwind on your ass, false vitality on retainer and ant haul when you just want to literally carry the party you probably are already carrying metaphorically.

Magus is a completely separate class that plays completely different. Its not really comparable except it will be behind in damage to Fighter with Wizard archetype only because of the FIGHTER there. The fighter CAN out-gun you in terms of magic if they invest into the wizard dedication feats for spellcasting, but without Free Archetype they are losing Fighter Feats for that. Magus is not a Fighter + Wizard, it plays as its own thing with its own dynamics, and requires thinking of it differently.
>>
>>93715516
different anon here how does rogue with the magic feats vs rogue with wizard archetype compare?
>>
>>93715535
Eldritch Trickster wasn't in the remaster for a reason. Archetype choices completely replaces it and does it WAAAY better. Not just Wizard, you have choice of archetypes including Psychic for what sort of approach you want to use for magic. Eldritch Trickster got power (and utility, and design direction) crept VERY hard by multiclass dedications.
>>
>>93714476
You're not, but that's where it starts. Full Plate and Shield is where it ends for everyone except a Kineticist, Champion, or a Warpriest increasing their EHP with Heal self-buffs.
Your barbarian example is someone taking an entire class to get similar damage at that level to what a feat gives you. Obviously, a barbarian and elementalist both get other features to distinguish themselves from one another. But Kineticist will keep getting a Feat at the same progression as Fighter to add more functionality. Again, they do different things, and I put a premium on being able to do it with AC that high.
>>93715058
Magus does not do what you think. It is its own class built around gaming the system, specifically spell attack rolls. If you want a Gish play Warpriest, Warrior Bard, or Druid with a dedication feat to give you more armor.
Magus because it doesn't involve being a Wizard wasting an FA or feat on Wizard.
>>93715535
Sorcerer with Rogue FA is good, so is the reverse. Without FA, it depends on what is being traded for what.
>>
>>93711315
Players are on a monster-hunter-esque quest to collect all of the warden's crowns.
The idea is that collecting all of the crowns will put a stop to the natural disasters that plague the kingdom every two hundred years.

Also the warden of peaks and skies is definitely Peak, as the kids would say
>>
>>93714509
Raise Shield is good, actually.
>>93714674
Thermal Nimbus, sure, but fire's junction doesn't work with Lava Leap since you have to be single gate, no?
>>93715842
>Full Plate and Shield is where it ends for everyone except a Kineticist, Champion, or a Warpriest
Would you like to elaborate on the kineticist part? Champion gets healing and shield block (and an extra proficiency buff), obviously. But I'm not very familiar with kineticist.
>Your barbarian example is someone taking an entire class to get similar damage at that level to what a feat gives you.
I mean, this is true of kineticist too, no? Lava Leap didn't exactly fall out of a coconut tree. I picked barbarian because it's an easy example of a (non-garbage) striker martial. Fighter or ruffian rogue would also be applicable examples.

Not saying this doesn't seem good, just not insane.
Also, are there other good feats that give you circumstance to AC on kineticist, or are you pretty married to Lava Leap if you want to play defensively?
>>
Haven´t really followed any non-warhammer stuff recently, there´s supposed to be an Starfinder 2E now?
>>
>>93716880
yes but it's dogshit
>>
>>93716880
No. There's PF2E in space.
>>
File: eminem throw meme.png (153 KB, 543x700)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
What weapon group are improvised weapons supposed to be in PF2e, brawling? Pathbuilder is showing that weapon improvisor no longer lets fighter get advanced scaling with improvised weapons so I've been trying to figure out what the fuck to do with it, and I'm guessing Ruffian Rogue is the only thing that reasonably makes use of them?

For that matter, does the handwrap rune sharing of Improvised Pummel still mean I cannot critically hit if I don't break my improvised weapon, or does that only come into effect if I'm using the feat's automatic die progression effect? I feel like it'd make more sense for it to be the latter, but I know 2e has some stupid "if it's too good to be true, take the worse reading because that's what it actually is" rule.
>>
Anyone got the image post with yaksha stuff?
>>
So I just realized that the Arrowsong Minstrel Bard for PF1E might be really busted as a DPS dealer.

First. Be an Orc of Half-Orc.
Then take the Orc Hornbow (2d6)
and be level 7 arrowsong Misntrel.

Now the actual absurdity.

Cast Flame Arrow (adds 1d6 fire to 50 arrows for 70 minutes) - Lvl3 spell
Cast Gravity Bow (increase size category of bow by 1, bow is now 3d6+1d6 fire for 7 minutes) - Lvl1 spell
Start playing inspire courage for +2 to hit/damage, but more importantly, you're now playing a song
Cast Allegro (For as long as you maintain a performance you have haste) - lvl2 spell.

Shoot two arrows at whatever enemy is the weakest. (8d6+4 total damage)

Finally cast Arrow Eruption (make an attack roll against 1 enemy/level within 30ft of a creature killed with your arrow, these arrows maintain all properties of the original arrow (they do lose the benefits of Flame arrow, but maintain the other bonuses) so up to 7 enemies take 3d6+2
>>
PF2E
Is there no way to make an Alchemist who's focused on buffing a familiar or pet? Animal companions are very limited in what item bonuses they can get and pets (and by extension familiars) can't make strikes.
As a bonus question am I misreading everything or is it actually impossible for an Alchemist to get the "Specific Familiar" Homunculus without going outside of the class (mainly through Familiar Master). That seems odd, given that a Homunculus is pretty specifically an alchemical creation
>>
>>93710897
I'm planning on statting a mothman monster as an optional monster hunter encounter.
I like all the "monster hunt" type quests to encourage the players researching the monster before fighting it, thus I want the monster to have some sort of weakness.

What is some sort of weakness I can give to a mothman monster? Any ideas?
No need to think in terms of 1e or 2e, I'm just looking for general ideas.
>>
>>93717552
spirit guides have combat familliars but its rather tax heavy
alternatively ancient elf summoner with alch dedication and feeding the drugs to eidolon
>>
>>93717640
obsessively drawn to flames because moth. if it sees one outside of a combat situation it's easy to get the drop on it because it'll go right up to it and just stare. in a combat situation it's dazzled (but instead of just missing is simply entranced by the fire) or whatever as long as there's a lit torch. obviously it only comes out at night, it might also have a light-drinking aura that lowers the light level by a step around it. having a torch in hand in the darkness levels the playing field
only damaged by silver (or flames) because cryptid/demonic influence. if it's lit on fire it stops caring about the fascinated by flames bit, but it is decidedly flammable
>>
>>93717734
Oh these are pretty good, really like the flame idea. The silver also makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot!
>>
>>93715054
What's your opinion on the arcane shot/spell cartridges feats? I may be forgetting the names but it let's you shoot force damage magic bullets and forgoes reloading entirely.
>>
Fellas what are some of the Occult spells I should be looking at picking up? For a Witch if that is relevant.
>>
>>93716928
Whoever makes the next thread, please put this in the first post. Thank you to whoever remembered to put the correct title in, by the way.
>>93717086
I didn't save it because Yaksha was so bad. You're required to take a Paladin Anathema and you get an absolute nothingburger of an ancestry. If you're going to pick an ancestry with no mechanical benefits, Tanuki at least has SOVL.
>>93716536
I wasn't sure if you had picked Barbarian because you were cherrypicking something that had similar damage. If you picked it because you wanted to compare it to something that was good but not Fighter, that's perfectly reasonable.
I was shocked at how much the class can do at Level 5, and theoretically level 4. I was also expecting some sort of squishy blaster, as I said.
This is before the remaster, so a Giant Barbarian is getting clumsy 1 and -1 AC to do comparable damage. As well, Lava Leap is not an Attack and does not have Manipulate. You can reposition, AoE in place, and follow up with an Attack. Tremor requires a crit fail on Fortitude, but it's an AoE and isn't an attack like Trip (Reflex). Eventually, at level 8, there's a feat to give yourself damage resistance for 10 minutes, and if you add Air into the equation you can add concealment. This is all on top of having a +4 Strength and +4 Constitution at level 5, and +5 Constitution at level 10, plus 18 hp per level for being a Dwarf Kineticist.
So you have a really mobile, tanky melee character that is good at being a menace and having actions free to trip and grapple. A good way to think about Earth Kineticists is that they're the Demon Hunter to Champion's Paladin. The Barbarian will outdamage you, but they're supposed to, if they're not the most selfish melee DPR Paizo fucked up. Maybe with different gates/feats this could be similar to Thaumaturge/Rogue which are "selfish" melees with a damage amp.
>>
>>93717921
>I didn't save it because Yaksha was so bad
yeah i saw a vid and it's really fucking bad, guess Guai with hungerseed will be the one i'll play once it happens to match the tone
>>
>>93717921
The point is, with 22HP/level, 3 Expert saves, and Bulwark, you can fearlessly (not literally that's ironically the only thing that worked with any consistency as a GM) run into the thick of things and do enough damage and crowd control that they can't just ignore you.
>>93717826
I should've written this down last time.
If you can get Electric Arc, do so. If you can get a 1st level spell from your ancestry, or however you're poaching Arcane/Primal spells, get Grease.
Thank you for mentioning you're a Witch. Guidance is mandatory for Witches and Sorcerers because you can't Inspire Courage. Shield is amazing in emergencies. Light is useful even in a party full of Darkvision, unless your GM is an asshole who refuses to humor your attempts at playing anglerfish with enemies.
Fear is a great candidate for Signature Spell, or Soothe. Remember that you cannot extend frightened with your familiar, but you can extend fleeing. Phantom Pain is good. Sickened only happens on a crit, but the damage scales very well.
Finally, I'm going to suggest something that goes against internet advice: Summon Fey and Animate Dead, for different reasons.
The scaling as absolute fucked on summons, but Witch has two ways to cheat the other drawbacks.
Cackle lets you sustain as a free action
Rites of Convocation lets you swap out a prepared spell for your choice of Animate Dead or Summon Fey. You choose when you take the feat.
So you just have to know the spell, you needn't prepare it until you have a better idea what you're fighting.
Both of these give Witch tools that other Occult casters lack. Fey are a great source of Primal spells. For instance, if there's a target that you'd like to reposition with forced movement, summon a Naiad and have her cast Tidal Surge or Hydraulic Push.
Undead are an easy source of flanking. Even with Slowed, the Zombie monster family have very high Athletics. One grab or trip attempt each turn is likely to land, and if they're flanking for
>>
>>93717086
>8HP, Medium, Con/Cha/Free+, Int-, Lowlight vision
Heritage
>Mental Res 1/2 level, +2 Nature Recall vs Fey, Must Confront Cruel Fey
>+1/+2 Bulk Encumbered/Max, +1 Circ Athletics to Force Open/Escape, Must help those trapped/affected by natural disasters
>Darkvision, +1 Circ to Perception for Seek/Sense Motive Raks and Asura
>1 less extreme effect for environmental hot and cold, +1 circ vs environmental features/hazards, must help lost/incap travelers
>primal cantrip plant trait, must cure/remove blight/polution from plants and soil
>trained crafting, improvise tool feats, help impoverished
seem reasonable part of what "good" adventurers would do anyway, and only happen if ignored done repeatedly
Feats
>1st
ignore flat check from concealed by smoke/mist, gain combat bonuses on recall success to enemies your vow lists, ignore nonmagical diff terrain from bog marsh and undergrowth, gain a d6 finesse piercing and d4 fire agile finesse unarmed damage for 1m every 10m, quick repair with no crit fail, nature, religion and yaksha lore trained, +2 circ vs linguistic saves, +2 init to party when scouting
>5th
gentle landing or jump 1/day, gain more hp during downtime rest and feed the party, scaling protector tree 1/day cast at -2 rank, resist=level energy damage 1/day
>9th
Success=Crit on non damage when you save vs mental, Crit Hitting Prone/Grab/Restrain enemies can't react 1round, gain free arms to use select combat maneuvers and extra bulk for 1m 1/day, animal form/humanoid form ea 1/day, can Atone yourself no crit fail and succeed=crit, createfood/cleanse cuisine ea 1/day
>13th
blessing of defiance 1/day, free action counteract nature vs all enfeebled/fatigued, add doomed+wounded as circ bonus to melee damage
>17th
Become Large permanently per spell (not upcast) and +Level HP, cast cosmic form 1/day and can switch between the forms when you sustain
>>
>>93717921
>18 hp per level for being a Dwarf Kineticist.
Anon no
>>
>>93718159
anyone with reactive strike, champion's reaction, or really all they do is force enemies to waste actions moving away, that's valuable. Skeletons are a nice source of extra damage. I'd look at the monster entries for Summon Fey and Animate Dead and see if you get any good ideas. They're very toolboxy but that's par for the course with Resentment witch, we're already looking through the Occult list for things with conditions that list a duration. Again, Fey are for Primal access, Undead are for making the Rogue your best friend, and handing out another -2 armor to enemies.
Blur is very nice for pre-buffing an ally. If you want to hold off on Invisibility, you can take Invisibility Sphere at Rank 3. Grim Tendrils is another good damage spell, and it targets Fortitude. Darkness is a really nice crowd control effect, but it can screw over your party/benefit certain enemies, so be careful there. Mirror Image is another panic button, if you can cast it when you need it without getting bonked. Laughing Fit is a bit situational for a prepared spell, you may disagree. Final Sacrifice is spell slot intensive, but later on a 2nd level slot for 6d6 damage is very good.
Resentment Witch doesn't feel particularly amazing until Level 5, when we actually get conditions to extend.
SLOW
Fear now affects multiple targets
Blindness is Dazzled+
Day's Weight is much more interesting for Witch than other casters. Not only can you extend the duration even on a successful save, but Enfeebled stacks with Frightened/Sickened because it affects attack rolls and damage rolls, as well as having a duration listed.
Gravity Well, Heroism, Invisibility Sphere, Rouse Skeletons are good too. Paralysis is a trap because of how Incapacitation works.
Phantasmal Killer/Vision of Death is the best scaling direct damage spell, you get this at Level 7. Confusion and Fly are here as well.
Not that you asked but 8 is a dead level and feels awful. Good archetypes for Occult are Alchemist and Rogue.
>>
>>93718159
22hp/level
the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>93718476
>>93718383
We've found why that guy's Kineticist was insanely tanky
>>
>>93718476
No, I accidentally added the racial hp at each level because I was busy writing, at least I did the math at all. Let's see one of you contribute anything of value.
You have 12hp per level, same as a Champion, until you take Toughness or reach 10. Which is a lot, most classes don't have the budget to put more than a point in Constitution every 5 levels.
>>
Champion's 11.7 since I know some knuckledragger is going to miss the point on purpose to win an eArgument and put it on the fridge.
>>
man I'm getting sick of foreverDMing bros
tian xia player guide actually left me interested in just having a PC for once
>>
>>93718532
>gets basic information wrong
>thinks its helpful
lol
>>
>>93718636
>gets basic information wrong
>uses its instead of it's
Oh no! Looks like you made a mistake! I win!
>>
>>93718670
so you acknowledge making errors invalidates your advice
well played dipshit
>>
>>93718690
You're too late, the internet police are lining up outside your front door with the battering ram. They're going to pin you to the ground and take your award back for winning an online argument, all because of that basic elementary school grammatical error.
Now, when you don't meet up with the friends you don't have for the weekly game you aren't invited to, you'll have nothing to show for it.
>>
>>93717771
Can't say I've used them to be honest, I've been using it as the build villain who shows up to fight the party and then make a get away, so I tend to go with spells to buff minions and then using what's left to shoot spells at the party. The feats could be good if you want to conserve spell slots and are fighting stuff that has B & P DR, but your mileage may vary.
>>
is there a good auto-calculating form fillable character sheet for the remaster yet
I've found one passable form fillable one but it doesn't auto-calc
>>
>>93718845
Pathbuilder
>>
File: Yaksha.png (723 KB, 1369x1288)
723 KB
723 KB PNG
>>93717086
I got you homie.
In exchange, post cute girls.
>>
File: k.jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>93719185
small mofu
>>
>>93717433
I mean it's fine, but you're using four spells of which two must be cast during combat to effectively replicate a worse fireball.
>>
>>93719352
Not even, it's a worse Scorching Ray. Fireball does half damage on a successful reflex, and has no conditions for hitting the second target.
This is a weaker Scorching Ray vs their entire AC, instead of just their touch AC.
God forbid we throw Arcane Thesis, Arcane Trickster, or some metamagic on top.
>>
why do barbarians just get no fucking skills or knowledge or anything
>>
Thoughts on Vanguard Gunslinger? I want to build a human who clears rooms with a fuckhuge shotgun, but I'm not sure how the melee works well with it. I know you can get parry bonus with it, can can combo feats to get a +2 bonus/3?
>>
>>93717826
I'll give you a few lesser mentioned ones since everyone already recommends Fear, Soothe, etc.. Biting Words is excellent damage and gives you a nice third action for a few turns after you cast it.
Agitate is a worse slow, but it's only a level 1 spell. It can lead to a lot of damage if people in your party have Reactive Strike or some equivalent. You do have to time it so that's it's a turn they wouldn't normally want to move.
Albatross Curse is newer. It's another worse slow, but it gives your allies +1 circumstance to hit while it's up. And if they waste the action to clear it, it makes your next will targeting spell better. Resentment Witch can make the stupefied on a success permanent.
Illusory Creature lets you make up a bullshit monster to hit whatever weaknesses you want. Remember the creature is made up, so you can give it whatever features you want, 15 foot reach, 200 foot ranged attacks, etc..
Ooze Form. This turns you into a strong martial that cannot be crit and has quite a bit of resistance, in exchange for having essentially no AC (which you already have as a caster). It turns you into the best boss tank in the game, especially if your party can take its actions away. You get a good athletics score to go with it, so you can concentrate on tripping, striking, and soaking damage. The heighten is also excellent, giving reach, really strong strikes, and size. My witch has been able to 1v1 same level enemies in melee after casting it.
>>
>>93719415
Because they're barbarians, not philosophers.
>>
>>93719415
>barbarians
>people not part of the Roman Empire, generally used as a pejorative for pre-writing tribesman of Central and Eastern Europe.
Turns out it's not that easy to pass on knowledge or skills if you can't write things down.
>there's no Rome in my campaign
The concept is the same. You are a character who is strong and tough by necessity, due to a chaotic and violent upbringing, often in a difficult climate without the comforts and shelters of civilization. You are strong in spite of not having been trained to fight in full armor and swordplay.
>>93719445
I'll second Ooze Form as hilarious. It does exactly what anon says it does, which is more than you can say about the godawful hair and nails feats.
Be careful with illusory creature - if the creature is doing less damage than it should, or acting in an incredible way, they get a circumstance bonus to disbelieve.
I don't like Biting Words because Lesson of Shadow is kind of an automatic choice for your level 6 feat.
>>
>>93719474
ok but Conan, The is fucking good at a lot of stuff. hell most barbarian figures in fiction are, by nature of their being as survivalists. why can a wild man not function innately in the wild? no survival or nature? no stealth?
why is it even called a barbarian at this point when it has jack and shit to do with any barbarian stuff? it's just a guy that flies off the handle at the start of initiative every single time without any real provocation
>>
>>93719510
If you want a real, serious answer it's because the game has failed to separate the physical intuitive skills a barbarian would pick up and the deliberate cognitive skills an uneducated man wouldn't learn.
A skill increase could mean becoming better at stalking an animal through the bush or finishing your engineering degree.
>>
>>93719485
>Turns out it's not that easy to pass on knowledge or skills if you can't write things down.
yeah but it's a game where athletics, survival, stealth, thievery, and intimidation are all considered "skills" and are also all things Conan would have been considered Legendary at
>>
>>93718767
tl:dr?
>>
>>93719510
>I want to play a guy who can stealth, cook, and suck me off. nowhere in this sentence do i say "i want to rage"
>why is the class whose mechanic is "i want to rage" not the class that the stealth/cook/suck me off mechanics :(
>why am i so pig shit i'm unable to find a way a way to make the guy who rages also be a stealth/cook/suck me off guy
i dunno anon, sounds like FAS to me
>>
>2E
Are there any spells which prone, even on a success?
I feel like i've not crit in ages since our fighter died and my magus is now the frontline eith 3 supports
i suppose there's always summons for flanking, but they slow down combat so much and taking away actions is so much better
>>
>>93719780
If only there was a way to start with 3+your intelligence skills, one from your background, and a Lore at level 1, plus 2 more for every skill feat you take.
Why is it that everyone who replies to me in this thread to argue has never picked up a rulebook? I'm not always right it's just so weird to me. It's like asking ChatGPT what it feels like to drive a car. The response is superficially believable but anyone with driving experience is going to immediately recognize what a cop out non-answer the AI came up with.
>>
anyone aware of how foundry with ABP/ABR interacts with the artifact weapons that are +4? is it still cucked to character relative?
>>
>>93720159
nta but what's with the essays blackman
>>
>>93720149
No, but if you find one post it, that would be disgustingly overpowered.
Dare I ask what the 3 "supports" are doing?
>>
2e
At what point does doing earn income become worth it? At level 7 and 2.5 gold each day for a skill at master seems bad.
>>
>>93720211
heard
BFC Fire Dragon Sorc
Wind monk who so far uses Wind Strikes and that gust spell
witch who uses whirlwind
by and large leaves me to go toe toe with a big boss, so i just spellswiping+amp imaginary weapon
which is lovely don't get me wrong
but fuck me i just can't get the crits right now
>>
>>93720223
I guess the question is "worth it compared to what?" It's never going to make you any real amount of money, but if your choices are sit around town doing nothing versus working odd jobs it's just a straight upgrade. It's never going to make you enough money to come anywhere near the cash you make from adventuring.
>>
>>93720223
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=2218&Redirected=1
At level 7, earning 2.5gp a day on a 28 day month = 70gp; that's 2 weeks Fine Living, 2 weeks comfortable
also it's meant to be an adventuring game, so the numbers are inherently unlikely to be skewed so that you can live the fantasy of not adventuring
it'd be interesting to see if there's a way to make a Dave the Commoner in 2E
https://davethecommoner.wordpress.com/2018/10/31/the-journey-begins/
>>
>>93719485
I would never take Lesson of Shadow now. All three of the new primal lessons are better than it, Shark especially. They didn't bother or forgot to fix the scaling in the remaster, so a rank 3 biting words is 18d6 over 3 turns versus 3d10+12 (assuming level 7). Even with linguistic limiting the targets, the gap in usefulness is massive.
>>
>>93720288
>>93720320
I guess i should of explained more, playing Kingmaker and we recently defeated Hargulka. So going to need to power level our kingdom. With the other option being reconnoitering older places we didn't at the start, do side objectives, bond with the companions we haven't maxed yet, or rp stuff.
>>
>>93720433
probably worth asking DM for bounties. If you have full party of 4, 3 weeks (assuming 1 week for counselor thingy stuff) = gets the party ~150gp total
using the bounties available in the mega, 1st level bounty nets you 5g, 3rd level nets you 100gp, and arguably multiple can be done each day
>>
>>93720284
I don't know what BFC is. I'm assuming this is premaster? Is there a reason they aren't casting Grease? They may not know about Coral Scourge, it's new. Many blast spells benefit from -2 circumstance penalty.
The gimp is not support. It's not that I can't believe the monk doesn't want to FLURRY OF BLOWS it's that I don't want to believe.
Again, I don't know what that is. I looked up Whirlwind, it's a Rank 8 Primal spell and not really good for anything besides mass murdering NPCs.
>>
>>93720566
bfc = battlefield control
holy fuck how new are you
please stop talking like you have any authority or experience
>>
>>93720668
NTA but I've been in these threads and playing both editions of Pathfinder for over a decade at this point and I've literally never seen the term abbreviated to bfc. idk where you got it or why you're so mad about it.
>>
>>93720750
nta, it is from mobas
>>
>>93720750
lady doth protest
>>
>>93720750
he's either making shit up or >>93720765 is from the last like decade in which I have not touched a moba
he's an enraged zoomer and safe to disregard
>>
>>93720846
bait.gif
>>
>>93720846
have you heard of bsf
>>
>>93720668
>>93720836
>>93720854
>BFC
It's called CC you absolute tool.
>>
>>93720750
literally one of the most used abbr on the wotc charop forums
you are mega new fag
quiet in the presence of your betters
>>
What do you think of Starfinder 2e's three most "try to avoid bringing this into Pathfinder 2e" items: dermal plating, ultralight wings, and, to a lesser extent, jetpacks?

Dermal plating, ultralight wings, and, to a lesser degree, jetpacks are three items that would be considered egregiously overpowered for their price in Pathfinder 2e. Dermal plating is very affordable resistance against all physical damage; this is less of a concern against Starfinder 2e enemies and their energy damage, but it can chip into many Pathfinder 2e enemies who rely on physical damage. Ultralight wings are cost-effective flight, though they work only in light armor. Jetpacks are more expensive than ultralight wings, take an action to activate, and require a tech armor upgrade slot (harder to come by than augmentation slots), but work with medium and heavy armor and actually function in zero-g.

Are these items that should be considered a firm "no" in any Pathfinder 2e game that imports Starfinder 2e content, far more so than any guns?
>>
>>93720865
being this gay/new
>>
>>93720858
bitch shutcher face?
>>
>>93720867
>wotc charop forums
maybe go back there then newfriend?
>>
>>93720865
two different things retardo
>>
>>93720898
>she/it doesn't know
>>93720895
>she/it doesn't know
>>
glad to see /v/ started to invade.

Trying to figure out some fantasy-isms for starfinder weapons for pf2e because I think Soldier is a really interesting concept for a tank class but I'm kind of coming up dry conceptually.
>>
>>93719510
D&D/PF barbarian has always done an absolutely terrible job of letting you be Conan. I'm pretty sure his actual statblock in the licensed D20 game was fighter/rogue.
>>
https://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=6462.0
this kills the newfags
>>
>>93712666
remove unleash psyche and give them an actual class feature instead
>>
>>93720992
at this point it just sounds like you're projecting anon.
Did you overstudy to not get called a newfag and start using autist lingo to make yourself feel cool?
>>
>>93721009
>he's not aware of just how prevalent treatmonk godwizard was
>he doesn't know how quick it is to use google
sudoku calling blackman
>>
do male kitsunes have knots
>>
File: GEOtv_3bAAMUrTI.jpg (215 KB, 2048x989)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>93721057
yes and they're huge
>>
>>93719510
because conan is a fighter with rogue archetype
>>
>>93720765
I've played LoL, HoN, DotA, Dota 2. I've played 2e, 3.5, PF1, PF2, most Fantasy Flight RPGs, and d6 Star Wars.
Never once.
I could see CC as being MOBA derived, but they got it from RTS games or RPGs. People frequently discussed how much CC humans had on Battle.net long before Aeon of Strife
Did he say what a whirlwind witch was? Dude was miniblind licker mad for no reason.
>literally one of the most used abbr on the wotc charop forums
abbr is Abberation, like gelatinous cubes and mind flayers, right?
wotc is Wizards of the Coast. No longer exists, it's just a label Hasbro uses.
I have no clue what a charop is.
Private language doesn't work. You need a shared reference point to communicate.
>Treantmonk's guide posted without context
>link is dead
I don't know why that's relevant to any discussion of pf2. I read the original, and then the second one he put out for pf1.
Is it because he constantly shit talks gishes like Magus players, how they're just BSF with extra S because they have magic and waste it going into melee voluntarily?
Regardless, he lost a lot of credibility when he showed up on someone's stream playing Pathfinder 2 with a bunch of other D&D players, rolled a Wizard, and repeatedly spams Electric Arc despite gentle hints from the GM that "they seem very nimble with quick REFLEXES" or suggesting he use a spell slot for something that controls the fight rather than just zappy damage.
Dude made zero attempts to Recall Knowledge, which was the big reason to play Wizard over a Sorcerer, and I just turned it off out of secondhand embarassment at Treantmonk reducing himself to the Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! idiot from the memes.
Recaption this with "I deliberately refused to follow the advice in my own guide, and these enemies keep passing their saves against Electric Arc. How could this be happening to me?"
>>
>>93720975
>I'm pretty sure his actual statblock in the licensed D20 game was fighter/rogue.
Because the "barbarian" label was just that, a label. He was born into what could be considered a barbarian culture, but was rather quickly removed from that and became a standard fighting man/mercenary.
>>
>>93720975
yeah because conan was a barbarian by culture. Pf2's barbarian has always been more "superhuman berserker".
>>
>>93721545
this, the barbarian's thing isn't being a grizzled outlander, it's being a person with supernatural rage powers
>>
>>93721545
this, it should not be called a barbarian at all, since its essentially rage - the class. There is no tribal flavor to the class at all, especially since it allows to pick the origin for your rage. The only thing linking the class to anything remotely barbarian in nature is its Iconic, Amiri.
>>
they missed an opportunity to cull another D&Dism/badwrong word and name it something that's actually flavorful
like bloodrager, which would have served the additional purpose of getting people to shut up about bloodrager
>>
>>93721596
but they've announced bloodrager for either Divine Mysteries or WoI, I forget which
>>
>>93721596
Weird that they remove slavery but leave in colonialism.
Like what do you think the point of Rome pointing at a bunch of people and calling them Barbarians was, if not moral justification?
It's all a show.
>>
>>93721398
Nta, but I have to be perfectly honest here, you're flat out trolling at this point.
>abbr = abbreviation.
You have to be incredibly insular to not be able to understand this, or perhaps ESL, which perhaps might explain you.
>wotc
Are you unaware of the original WotC forums from back in the day?
>charop
charop>CharOp>Char Op>Character Optimization
The combination of all three of these shows that you are incredibly insular, inexperienced, and uncultured when it comes to discussing games, and you should perhaps not be so quick to stick your oar in when it's clear you're out of your depth.
>Link is dead
No it's not? And I'm guessing it's the mentions of BFC from back in 2009, given the context of the discussion at that point.
CC is Crowd Control, stuff like Stuns.
BFC is instead differentiated by how you affect the battlefield; webs, Walls, etc, and was typically used to include it within it. The reason anon was probably using BFC rather CC is because he wasn't talking vidya. I came into TT forums far earlier than i got into VG forums, and BFC was pretty common on enworlds, minmax GitP. I was a contributor to the old Mad Minute build and the Iron Chef challenges. If you say you were involved in that community, you'd have to have been pretty intentionally avoiding almost any sort of discussion to be this unaware.
>>
>>93721589
>not linked to nature
Animal, Dragon, Elemental, Giant
totally not natural
>Ancestral Spirits, Superstitious of Magic
totally not tribal influenced
>>
>>93721721
>diet werewolf, dragon powered warrior, energy-infused warrior, the hulk, possessed guy, guy who really hate casters
nothing really tribal or wild or similar stuff
>>
>>93721772
well, yeah, if you intentionally try to ignore/subvert what is front and centre and replace with your own flavour, i guess your point is proved
are burger hours always like this
>>
>>93721699
>unironically shilling Treantmonk
>GitP
Imagine calling anyone else uncultured when it comes to discussing games lmao
>Mad Minute build and the Iron Chef challenges.
Damn we all have embarassing stories from when we were younger but this one is pretty harsh
>If you say you were involved in that community, you'd have to have been pretty intentionally avoiding almost any sort of discussion to be this unaware.
You've seemingly avoided listing the communities where literally any charop actually took place (e.g. wotc, BG) so it seems reasonable he could argue the opposite merely based on the weakness of your own post lmao
>>
>>93721699
I value anything posted on WotC's old gleemax boards as much as anything posted on Paizo's official forums. If it's worth reading, it'd make it to a site I actually read, like Giant in the Playground, Brilliantgameologists, Somethingawful, or tg, from least to most involved. Sorry, I can't be bothered to read every site you think is important.
I've been playing longer than 2009, I graduated university that year, don't assume that I don't know what battlefield control is because I don't recognize an acronym. There also aren't enough spells in PF2 that would qualify as battlefield control and not crowd control, by the old definition. The first thing I asked was "why isn't he casting Grease," so who's trolling, exactly? Web is shit now. I mentioned Rouse Skeletons further up. Walls aren't available until the mid to late ranks. Spike Growth is nerfed. Blade barrier is only available to two classes now, like there's just not a lot of options. This is a different game.
Finally, what gen beta child has a complete meltdown when someone doesn't understand their weird pseudo-military "abbrs." Global rules 2 and 6 exist for a reason. Type words out, no one has died from being articulate.
>>
>>93721804
>you didn't list wotc or bg
o.O
Where the fuck do you think me garryl and khan met each other?
>>
>>93721932
Playing the game, instead of talking about it online? Like most of us?
I wasn't in this thread Saturday, I was running a game and doing things offline.
>>
>>93721959
stating that you were unable to do both of those is more of an own goal than you intended there I think buddy.
>>
>>93721999
>more of an own goal than you intended there I think buddy
Those are all words, yes.
>>
File: 1454349898524.png (45 KB, 554x439)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
Or you could just look at the archives to see that nobody calls it BFC.
>>
>>93722017
Do you understand what 93721999 anon said? It looks like word salad to me. Which of us is having the stroke?
>>
>>93721874
>Blade barrier is only available to two classes now
NTA
Cleric, Oracle, Witch, Sorcerer, Summoner
There's like 10 primary spellcasters, and 5 of them can access divine unless remaster has fucked that with something I've missed?
>>
>>93722034
He was going on about character optimization and treantmonk, so I figured I was setting myself up to get strawmanned if I acknowledged Witch can cast Divine spells or Oracle existed.
>you must be bad you're talking about these low tier classes
Or something like that.
>>
>>93722046
I think you're a bit deep in your own rage hole here mate, because you're not making much sense. It sounds like you're trying to say "I was only pretending to be stupid"
>>
Casters are for BFC (Big Fighter Cock)
>>
I'm pretety sure all the BFC is over at
>>>/d/
>>
File: 1674306322033539.png (1.68 MB, 1616x882)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
>>93722252
>>
>>93720433
Something I said to my players is they can try earn income in Restov if they think they can succeed at higher level tasks. Might be worth a shot.
Another good way to spend downtime is to retrain.
>>
>>93720149
Cast Down + Heal/Harm. 2-action combo for touch range, 3-action for 30ft, works with a slot as low as 2nd-rank as long as there are no resistances to worry about.
Sounds like it's not what you're looking for, though
>>
>>93721137
He would also work as a Ranger or a Gymnast.
>>
>>93721789
>intentionally try to ignore/subvert what is front and centre
which is the point of having those options in the first place. If you want to play a tribal warrior from your typical hunter/gather culture (like a native American) your far better off playing a ranger. A pf2e barb would fit a Viking or Hun. Or broadly anyone the Romans considered a "barbarian"
>>
Starfinder 2e playtest rulebook, p. 250:

>GRAVITY ADAPTATIONS
>Most characters are accustomed to normal gravity conditions, but if your character’s homeworld has unusually high gravity, that might be the norm for them, meaning they don’t suffer penalties while exploring such an environment. For example, a barathu character living on Bretheda should have no trouble adapting to other high gravity worlds but would still take bludgeoning damage in extreme gravity environments.

An odd situation wherein a character gains a mechanical benefit just by saying, "Yeah, my character comes from a high-gravity world."
>>
>>93723236
Yes
And that's ok. Do you have a point?
>>
>>93712710
Basically this.
I gave unleash psyche a buff that when you enter it the next amp you use is free.
>>
>>93723434
that the pf2e barb is not a barb as the class is generally conceptualized across rpgs. In pf2e its a rage machine, an undisciplined warrior, with a largely insignificant mechanic (instincts) used to flavor it a bit diiferently. In other games, barbs have more to them. In pf2e, barb could be deleted and replaced by a couple of fighter feats and it would not be missed.
>>
>>93723533
in addition, what stikes me about pf2e classes in general is how flavorless they are for a game rule set that is as tied to its setting as pf is. Maybe that was a design goal of 2e.
>>
>>93723557
I guess thats what archtypes are for, but then you have something like druid, which with its circles seems a lot more grounded in the setting than most classes.
>>
>>93723557
This could be solved if paizo would publish more exciting content updates for the game, but they're satisfied with prioritizing compatibility instead.
You never get the sense that a new subclass has a 'wow' factor, or will give you an additional leg up over a DM.
It's a missed opportunity, in a lot of ways.
>>
>>93723533
i dunno bro
most rpgs i've played, tt and rpg, i associate barbarians with having some sort of rage mechanic
Given that you call the difference between polymorphing into a dragon and spirit wrath or wielding outsized weapons "insignificant" rather than literally playstyle altering suggests to me you're arguing in bad faith too
>barb could be deleted with fighter feats
every martial class could
>Champion
defined by its reaction, which you pick up with archetype feats
>Gunslinger
It's a fighter but from range
>Magus
Spellstrike could be a feat chain
>Monk
Unarmed fighter
>ranger
survivalist feats
>Rogue/Swashbuckler
Dextrous light armour fighter
>Thaumaturge
Occultist version of the magus picked up via a feat chain
The Guardian and Commander are just additional flavours of fighter too when they come out
>>
>>93713001
Change unstable actions to DC 0 and then increase the DC by 5 for every one you use before a 10 minute cooldown.

Overdrive should become this:
Crit success You gain full into to damage and your next unstable action does not increase your DC.
Success You gain full int to damage
Failure You gain half int to damage
Crit failure You fail to overdrive.
>>
>>93723236
i don't remember learning about vikings hulking out and turning into giant frogs in history class
>>
>>93724034
>i don't remember learning about vikings hulking out and turning into giant frogs in history class
Isn't that how we got the Normans?
>>
2e building a a character and wondering whether I should go for fighter or rogue archetype:

Setup is I am going to play a 2handed melee precision ranger because I have fallen in love with the pulverizing wake focus spell in howl of the wild.

It's a free archetype game and I am definitely going into cleric later because it fits with the background of the character and also having some utility and buffing spells to cast like heroism is always nice.

But I don't know whether I should spec into fighter or rogue first. From fighter I mainly want reactive strike (disrupt prey not triggering from ranged attacks and the hunted prey restriction is a big downgrade imo) and sudden charge (overlaps a bit with ranger's skirmish strike, but I like having movement options as a melee character)

The big draw for rogue for me is gang up. With pulverizing wake always triggering the aoe behind the enemy I am hitting it makes it impossible to benefit from flanking without putting an ally in harm's way.

What would you pick? Can someone with melee ranger experience confirm or deny my suspicion that disrupt prey is a significant enough downgrade to warrant fighter multiclass?
>>
>>93724166
They're functionally identical.
I've never seen a monster trigger reactive strike with a ranged attack in several years of play.
>>
>>93724215
my GM likes sprinkling pl -1 archers and stuff into encounters and with my old 2h fighter immediately closing that gap and sitting in front of one of them was pretty effective at either triggering the strike or forcing them to move away.

Although I guess it is incredibly encounter dependent with the majority of combat not having that scenario as often as I might think. I guess I'll talk to my GM and ask him whether the constellations we were fighting earlier in the campaign are likely to continue occurring.
>>
>2E
My group is playing kingmaker, and I want to play someone like Gabdalf. The wise, sometimes devious messenger who binds together communities and kings and gets adventurers going. I was thinking a cleric of Erastil, one who is trying to build a community out in the strangr lands and establish a true kingdom to protect the people. Any advice? If possible I'd like to get a giant stag as a mount.
>>
>>93724609
Cleric with beastmaster dedication is a good choice for the adventure path in general.
I think howl of the wild published an elk companion statblock so you don't have to brew one out of a horse/goat now. It begins large with the mount ability so it's ideal.
Be cautious about using it to engage predatory beasts, because the GM will quite happily have an owlbear etc kill your elk; it is made of food after all.
>>
>>93724609
>The wise, sometimes devious messenger who binds together communities and kings and gets adventurers going.
This is a combat game where you go out and kill shit. You're never getting anything more elaborate than that with a premade AP.
>>
>>93724166
What level? Reactive Strike off fighter is level 4, whereas Gang Up is level 12, so fighter first seems like it fits better.
The Red Mantis archetype has Gang Up at an earlier level iirc, however.
>>
>>93726221
it's a homebrew campaign with the goal of reaching lvl 20, we've just reached lvl 8 as a party.

Didn't know about red mantis, I'll check it out
>>
File: PZO15209-SC.jpg (435 KB, 922x1200)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
So it looks like Triumph of the Tusk is gonna be about teaming up with Orcs to kill other Orcs that are still loyal to Tar-Baphon but what're the odds Paizo lets the Orcs still be evil?
>>
>>93713001
The Modular trait needs to behave like Fighter's flexibility class features. Also it needs to be on more shit than Variable Core and Diving Armor in the early game.

I'm convinced you could give Construct Inventor full companion scaling for free and it wouldn't break anything. They can't take the good armor or weapon feats anyway.

Armor Inventor is just Gray Maiden Plate with extra steps and a nice rider at level 15.

Weapon Innovation would be alright if it had any ranged options.

Gadget feats should just be part of the class chassis, except maybe the one that let's you pull a random item out of your back pocket. Gadgets are less versatile overall than potions so you really don't eat into the Alchemist's lunch as a vending machine. Most of the time you'll be handing out temp HP to squishies.

They need an actual capstone feature that isn't just swapping their Innovation to something else.
>>
File: Rand Al Thor Desktop...jpg (829 KB, 2560x1600)
829 KB
829 KB JPG
pathfinder 1e: Which Adventure Paths should I run that has lots of traveling, interacting with different cultures etc. I wanna convince my group to keep playing pf1e from 5e and they enjoy lore, world-building and cultures etc.
>>
What even is the best weapon innovation to use? It feels like you can never use any of the upgrades to actually get a stronger weapon than something that already exists. The best I can find are

>Give a d8 or d12 weapon Trip + Grapple
>Give a Branched Spear Trip + Grapple
>Give a Rapier two-hand
Like you can't even use it to get a d10 reach weapon with trip or something because that weapon already exists. And there's no d10 reach weapon with deadly that you could upgrade with it. Weapon innovations seem completely useless.
>>
PF2E
Any good apps/websites that properly sort spell options? I had one for 5e where I could just put in the race, class, and level and it would pare down the options to just what's available with those parameters and am hoping there's something similar for PF2E
>>
>>93728066
>Which Adventure Paths should I run that has lots of traveling, interacting with different cultures etc.
Granted, I don't know every single one, but I'm pretty sure none of them really do. One of the core features of most APs is that they really focus on one nation and whatever big local threat is happening there, that was only alluded to in the brief description blurb the country got in the setting primer.
You might have a better shot just stringing together several individual modules, I'm sure there's all sorts of guides out there which can be connected into a pseudo-campaign.

Or you could always just run your own.
>>
>>93728347
>You might have a better shot just stringing together several individual modules, I'm sure there's all sorts of guides out there which can be connected into a pseudo-campaign.

Thanks chief I might just do that.
>>
I’m finally going to be running Season of Ghosts, one of my players wants to be a Ru-Shi Dhampir which is pretty thematic, but how does the Dhampir’s negative healing trait work? Is it solely for magical healing, or do they require Stitch Flesh as well for Medicine checks?
>>
Is there anything new with PC2 champion? Is it worth buying the book to find out?
2e
>>
>>93728483
I think it's actually weaker than the old champion so probably worth ignoring.
>>
>>93728483
Yes, Champion got almost entriely rewritten outside of its proficiencies. Its feats are much better and has some qol baked into it now. Barbarian got massively buffed, too.
>>
>>93728066
>>93728396
Strange Aeons third book follows Sellen River from Ustalav to Taldor. Lots of potential for visiting countries along the way even if the book itself does not really go much in depth there. In 4th book PCs visit Osirion and Qadira and travel past Absalom even if the book itself ignores that.
>>
>>93728249
it's pathbuilder or archives or bust
>>
>>93728476
They don't count as undead, Heal and Harm are just flipped for them. They can't use regular healing potions, they must use oil of unlife. Otherwise, they are the same as any other living PC race. The only other thing I'd say be careful of is that void damage and void healing are two different things. Dhampir are immune to void damage, it doesn't heal them. Same with vitality healing and damage. If they drink a normal healing potion, it just has no effect, it doesn't damage them.
>>
>>93728238
You give the Boarding Pike Trip and Grapple and then at 15 you upgrade it's Reach to 10ft instead of 5ft. Stuff like that. It's a pretty marginal power boost most of the time.

Honestly the only innovation that's actually kind of interesting is the Construct, since it doesn't fuck around with stuff like Savage or whatever. It just gains pretty OK stats and can use your Unstables without having to put yourself at risk. It also benefits from your Overdrive (although the fact that your Offensive Boost is saddled onto it lategame might not be amazing).

Armor Innovation is either late heavy armor proff or catchup features that try to compensate for you being an 8HP martial with a non-STR/DEX key stat. Some of the level 15 mods are sorta neat but the actual utility of the armor comes from Soaring Armor. Although Construct can also gain flight from modding their companion and riding it.

In general, Innovations are underbaked and probably better considered as flavor features than actual class utility.
>>
>>93728762
>You give the Boarding Pike Trip and Grapple and then at 15 you upgrade it's Reach to 10ft instead of 5ft. Stuff like that. It's a pretty marginal power boost most of the time.
That's the thing, though, you could have just been a Fighter with a Guisarme and Lunge (extended reach 13 levels earlier). The only thing you gained was Grapple and Shove, which is fine but not as your entire subclass feature.

Like you said, Construct is already the only one worth half a shit, and yet it's the one people talk about buffing the most.
>>
>>93728238
>the main thing you're adding are maneuvers
>the best options to put them on are either finesse or don't have reach
They really did fuck this class up.
>>
>you must have weapon focus in two weapons (one melee the other a long bow), also power attack, furious focus, precise shot, rapid shot, deadly aim, quick draw, quick sheath, iron will and skill focus in a bunch of skills at the bare minimum at 6th level
Sigh
I think I'm going to leave this game
Having X feat should be an advantage instead of lacking X feat be a crippling drawback. I'm tired that every combat encounter assumes we all have those feats, every enemy has DR 10/- (probably is not/- but it doesn't mater we have magic, silver, cold iron, etc enemies still reduce 10 damage). And when it's social/skill encounters we fail like 66% of the time even with maxed ranks and a 4 on the stat
>>
>>93729163
And in reality it is just power attack unless you are doing some weird dumb shit.
>>
File: Untitled.png (126 KB, 1182x1078)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>93728249
Archives of Nethys is the go-to and it's very robust. PF2E is kind of auto-sorted anyway by spell tradition but if you hop over to the spells page there's a bunch of sorting options. The very basic one you'd look for would be to find spells of your tradition of a certain rank or lower. For instance, if I'm a level 5 wizard, I'm an Arcane caster who can learn spells of up to Rank 3. To see all those spells, I'd head over to AoN, click the spells page, and search for spells that are:

>Arcane
>Rank 3 or lower
>Not cantrips

Pic related is what that looks like. You can also choose how to display them, either as a table, a list of links (that's what you see in the picture), or just as one giant scrollable page with every spell one after the other. If you're willing to fiddle around with it, there are a lot of options that let you really drill down into what kinds of spells you're looking for. You can search for every spell that includes the text "spell attack roll" for instance, if you're looking for things that you can use with the Magus' Spellstrike ability or Eldritch Shot. Or you can search specifically for spells that you can cast as a reaction, or that have a variable casting time, or any number of other criteria.
>>
>>93729203
DM just teleports enemies away and most of them either float or fly too. Which is making the game unbearable

And by game I meant campaign, not PF as a whole, I had plenty good games but the one I'm currently in is awful
>>
>>93728238
Thrown Weapon with Grapple is fun
>>
>>93728249
AoN
>https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx
>If you need more control past Arcane/Divine etc, Show Filters and Options
>Spells/Rituals
can select Rank and Tradition, whether it goes for AC or a particular save
>Actions/Cast Time
Take a wild guess what this filter does
>Traits
Click twice so it goes red to block specific traits, i.e no Hex, Focus or Curse spells etc
All of these filters can combine
It's pretty decent
PF2Etools.com (similar to the 5etools) used to be alright but i think they've given up on updating that while they work on something to replace it, its about a year behind on missing content and wasn't as well maintained/polished as the 5e one
>>
I can safely say that Hair Trigger with a rifle is good at 1st level, and what makes the operative the strongest martial in all of Path/Starfinder 2e once weapon specialization and energy damage upgrades come along.

Thus far, I have played a 3rd-level Intelligence operative in nine fights, a 3rd-level Constitution operative in ten battles, the 5th-level iconic operative in two combats, and an 8th-level operative in four fights.

At 1st level, a skirmisher operative is somewhat better than any other ranged weapon martial with the same access to Starfinder 2e rifles. A skirmisher operative has an extra 2 attack modifier (and thus critical chances), convenient action compression with feats like Weakening Shot (which can offensively and defensively debuff an enemy as well), a little bit of extra damage with Aim (later improved by Devastating Aim at 4th), and the broadly applicable reaction that is Hair Trigger (which is especially disruptive against spellcasters). However, at 1st level, the operative is still but a ranged weapon martial with no attribute modifier to damage rolls, so Hair Trigger with a rifle is usually just a flat 1d8 to 1d10: good, but not spectacular.

Higher levels change this. A 4th-level advanced weapon generates an extra damage die, weapon specialization confers +3 damage at 7th, and energy damage upgrades are +1d6 damage per upgrade. Around 8th or 9th level, given party wealth budgeting that prioritizes the operative, it is fully possible to have an advanced rifle with not one, but two energy damage upgrades. Switching upgrades between weapons is possible betwen combats, too, especially with Quick Install. Suddenly, Hair Trigger is dealing 2d8+3 or 2d10+3 plus 1d6 per energy damage upgrade. This is when the operative solidifies itself as the strongest martial.

There is one final, optional, GM-dependent trick. If the GM rules that a mid-turn stun ends the turn, have the operative use an arc rifle for a stunning critical specialization.
>>
Has the serum of sex shift ever been used in any of your games or is it just a giant joke item?
The target has to be willing so you can't even poison someone with it for fun.
>>
>>93729881

Extra tech: Regardless of whether or not multiple Commercial Hypernerves can be stacked, an operative can use Hypernerves for an extra Hair Trigger and then simply use their Kick It Into Overdrive 6th-level class feat to clear away the slowed. The core mechanics specifically allow quickened to be used to override slowed this way.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=2341
>>
>>93729893
Yes, entirely for comedy or fixing a character's body post reincarnate-ritual(I flip a coin to decide sex whenever characters use Reincarnate to bring back the dead)
>>
>>93729893
>The target has to be willing so you can't even poison someone with it for fun.
You can, but you have to beat him to submission first, which could sap some fun out of it. Or add some I guess, depends on the person.
>>
>>93728347
>>93728066
>>93728396
Dont listen to him
There are some APs that are about sitting in one place, but there a bunch that have you travel around a whole nation if not further
Jade Reagent is probably the most travel heavy AP if you want it, but it has weebshit
>>
>>93729269
>>93729767
AoN is also Paizo's official partner, so instead of being sanitized SRD content it's all exactly as it is in the book.
>>
I'm pretty sure a Meld into Eidolon Summoner is literally stronger than an Inventor. Plant eidolon, for instance, you can get a trip, grapple, reach weapon with lunge, an agile reach weapon with lunge, you can get fire damage and resistances, you can take all sorts of movement modes, extra senses. You get reactive strike at 6, 10 HP per level, you can pump STR so you've got +1 to hit on an Inventor. You can take Understudy to get cantrips to replicate megavolt at your caster's DC, eidolon's wrath at 6 which you can cast twice per fight to replicate Explode. Permanent Large or Huge size if you want. All this while having 4 spell slots per day to cast on utility buff spells for your parry, scrolls etc. Oh, and you're the third best skill monkey in the game, because the Summoner can pump INT at no real opportunity cost and all your Trained skills are more like Expert because you can Aid yourself (out of combat).

It's like picking up everything an Inventor does and then some. A bit feat-hungry, I guess, the Inventor could definitely afford to take a Wizard dedication for scroll access.
>>
>>93728238

If Pathfinder 2e material is allowed in Starfinder 2e, the inventor archetype becomes fantastic for operatives by character level 8th. Basic Modification for complex simplicity on a laser rifle is great: d8 to d10, versatile B (or P, or S, as desired). This lets a laser rifle deal something other than fire damage.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=108
https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=3117
https://2e.aonprd.com/Innovations.aspx?ID=3
>>
1e

what's the best class/archetype for sharing teamwork feats with allies? is it the cavalier, or someone else?
>>
>>93730277
I literally do not see the benefit of meld into eidolon over just commanding it normally.
>>
>>93730529
Battle Scion Skald gets to share as part of their performance.
>>
>>93730529
It is the Inquisitor and the Hunter. Both get a bonus teamwork feat every 3rd level and have Shared Training as a 2nd lv spell on their lists.
>>
>>93730539
There isn't one, other than not having a low-AC caster on the field and getting to dump DEX on the Summoner. It's just to make a point that even the most wasteful martial in the game is probably still better than Inventor.
>>
>>93730529
Paladin Holy Tactician archetype. Most of the other choices have daily limits or some other caveat. Holy Tactician you just spend an action, and they get the feat as long as you are don't get separated or go down. Switching feats is a swift.
>>
Why did they fuck Puff of Poison so hard? It does like 1 average damage on a succeed now. It used to do 5. And instead of 10 damage on a failure it now does... 10.
>>
>>93720159
you can't say "hurr barbarians dumb they shouldn't get skill support" and then when pointed out that many skills are things barbarians SHOULD reasonably be good at because they're not book learning but shit like grappling or sneaking up on prey or survival, you go "UHHH EVERYONE GETS SKILLS!"

we're talking about class features here faggot. nevermind that being trained only and not upgrading sucks. Barbarian would not be overpowered if they automatically upgraded Athletics to Expert/Master/Legendary as they leveled, the way Thaumaturge gets automatic increases to recall-knowledge skills plus legendary esoteric lore, or Ranger gets a bunch of Survival bullshit
>>
>>93720159
Weird oliver twist yappers.
Want to expend their feats and skill increases but also have them.
Resource insecurity headcases.
>>
>>93732402
A thing they could have fixed in the remaster but didn't. Every class should get an automatically scaling skill relevant to their class. The only one I wouldn't give it to is Fighter, since they're overloaded anyway. Make them actually spend their 3+ Int skill bumps on stuff others get for free.
>>
>>93732655
No. That's stupid. Some skills are way better than others. It's bad enough that one class can get "free" training in nature and survival while another can get athletics and stealth. Giving classes auto-scaling in the relevant skills just creates a bigger schism. Especially if it's a skill your class would have already taken. If you give a barbarian free Athletics, what you've actually just given them is free Stealth or Medicince or whatever their fourth-best skill was. If you give a Ranger free Survival they still have to give something up to get Stealth/Medicine/whatever it is.
>>
>>93732687
I don't see a problem with giving players actual choices when building their characters. The way it is now, a Wizard has less build choice than a Fighter in terms of skills. One of their skills must be Arcana, leaving them two other skills to take to Legendary. A Fighter CAN pick Athletics, but can still function without it, which means they actually get to pick any three skills they want. It means you can pick up more flavorful choices without feeling like shit about it after you grab the two or three actually good skills.
>>
>>93732746
>One of their skills must be Arcana
explain why.
>>
>>93732769
So they can pick Magaambyan Attendant and Halcyon Speaker dedications
>>
>>93710897
>thread pic
Is this what passes as a Dragon in Pathfinder? Wingless worm with two limbs? Pathetic.
>>
>>93732888
That's not a dragon, that's a linnorm
>>
File: diablos.png (768 KB, 1073x702)
768 KB
768 KB PNG
Honestly, I don't think the little nubby hirn they gave to the horned dragon in the art fits the description, I expected something more like a diablos
>>
>>93732655
I think they should have done that too, at least with the casters for there own magic skills
>>
>>93732769
>Duuude the wizard is so powerful it can learn every arcane spell it's so strong!!!
>But don't take the skill that actually lets you do that actually take stealth and sneak all the time instead
>>
>>93732769
Learn A Spell, jackass
>>
I think it would be worthwhile for Starfinder 2e to give advice to GMs on how to calibrate rarity tags to communicate the rough tone of "science fantasy" that they want to run their game as.

Starfinder is a science fantasy setting. This can mean different things to different people.

When I was playing and running 1e, I always leaned heavily towards the fantasy side of the setting: pervasive magic in cities and colonies, encountering fey and elementals in new worlds, genies and Outer Sphere natives as major players on the galactic stage (though not gods, because I prefer for power players to be entities that can viably be confronted face-to-face), geniekin and planetouched/nephilim as commonplace PCs and NPCs. Every so often, I would have significant friction with players coming into Starfinder with the expectation of a sci-fi game first and a fantasy game second, with the magical and the supernatural as rarities.

Starfinder 2e has the opportunity to teach GMs how to adjust rarity tags to convey their preferred flavor of "science fantasy."

For example, "In my game, elementals and elemental giants maintain their original common rarities. If you visit a gas giant, there is a good chance that it will have plenty of air elementals and its fair share of cloud and storm giants" vs. "In my game, elementals and elemental giants have the rare tag. If you travel to a gas giant, expect any life there to mainly be strange aliens."

This can have nuance. For instance, "In my game, magic as a whole is common, but mystics and witchwarpers are rare. You have default permission to play them as PCs, but it is unlikely that you will ever meet another telepathic collectivist or paradox warper."
>>
>>93732746
It doesn't do any of that, because like I said, the Ranger is going to end up stuck with Survival and the Fighter is just going to spend their skill increases on Intimidation, Medicine, and Stealth when Athletics is out of the way.

What you need to do is improve what each class can DO with different skills and balance skills so they're more broadly useful to create a decision. If a class already has good STR, don't give them nothing but Athletics-related features. Give them something Diplomacy-related randomly so they're incentivized to take that.
>>
>>93733926
I'm not familiar with starfinder. doesn't it have a common setting like Galorion?
>>
>>93733658
The DCs are low, you don't need to be even expert.

If any of you guys had said rituals you'd be right, but no one who actually plays this game cries about it in this thread.
>>
>>93732769
Verisimilitude. A wizard who doesn't know dick/any more than an amateur about arcana makes no sense within the class fantasy. Or rather, we have that already - it's called a sorcerer. Some skills might not be strictly necessary mechanically speaking, but the class feels incomplete without it. Like not advancing your social skills on bard, or nature/survival on a ranger. It's just part of what the class is.
>>
File: spell sword rapier girl.jpg (161 KB, 1012x790)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
Magus should get class DC scaling and an unpoachable ability to scale its spells via class DC. If not that, it should be able choose to key-score with Int and make strikes off its Int mod. Arcane Cascade should be a free action made as part of casting a non-spellstrike spell, make me sacrifice my spellstrike charge if it's too powerful otherwise. It should be able to make weak, single-action ranged energy strikes that key off the damage types of prepared cantrips. Spellstrike shouldn't have manipulate. It's not about raw power, I'm tired of two editions in a row of "the spellsword class's power is all-in on big single hits". It should have class feats worth a flying fuck.
>>
>>93710897
I allowed mixed 3.5 and PF1 systems - namely that PCs are from 3.5 earlier campaign and we decided to play through a PF1 3pp adventure.
Decided to improve a lich they were about to fight by giving him a mythic rank.
PC cleric with Sun / Magic domains, popped an Invisibility potion, used a Haste scroll, than drank an Eagle's Spleandor potion. Beelined across the battlefield to the lich and used his once daily Sun domain ability to make a turning check according to 3.5 rules. Trying to houserule the difference between PF1 and 3.5 rules, I added +8 mythic turn resistance to the 11 HD lich for both parts of the Turn check, but he managed to pass them both.
My mythic lich was destroyed without even getting to fight really - he summoned an abyssal bee to chase off an earlier summon monster and spent his one round to cast True Seeing on himself when he heard the cleric running up to him in heavy armor. And than he burned up on the spot and the party later found and destroyed his phylactery before he rejuvenated.
Cleric didn't even know he was facing a lich - he thought he was going after a vampire and was trying to destroy him outright so as to prevent said vampire from fleeing via the mist fail-safe.
I originally wanted the players to either die and restart from level 1 (this party makeup is getting stale) or for one of them to get a mythic rank from the lich's defeat, but now am not sure if I should do that given how utterly unimpressive the mythic lich played out.
>>
>>93724065
kek
>>
>>93719510
>>93721137
I wouldn't give him levels in rogue specifically because I don't remember him dealing much with traps or hiding. He stalks around much and he isn't unnecessarily noisy. He steals lots of stuff but he isn't stealthy about it. Just kills whatever is in the way. There is also not much of fighter that would distinguish him from Barbarian because he is not described as being particular technical in his fighting ability, just being really, really good at the basics of combat - fast, strong, ruthless and experienced.

Overall, I would say he is a character from the roll 3d6 down the line era who rolled 18 on most of his stats
He is very ambitious, always pursuing and achieving positions of leadership and authority wherever he ends up - so definitely 18 Charisma
obviously peak Strength, Constitution as well.
Frequently described as being very cunning, astute in political evaluations and long term planning of military campaigns so peak, 18 Intelligence as well
Dexterity and Wisdom do not necessarily need to be high for him. At least, I don't remember him consistently performing anything particularly exceptional in those fields that could not come from skill points, average stat line and Barbarian BAB
18 int and sticking with Barbarian class would give him 8 skill points per level to throw around so he could easily be Barbarian with that stat line and fulfill all the requirements from the source material without touching feats.
From what I remember of the stories he displayed high Athletics, Survival, Perception, Intimidate, Swim, Climb, Stealth and Linguistics.
So there is your Barbarian Conan
>>
>>93735672
Honestly it's your own fault for letting his phylactery being so easy to find.
>>
>>93735904
we are playing Slumbering Tsar adventure, the lich in question is Kroma. In the module he is written as carrying his phylactery on himself, specifically it being an iron orb in one of his eyes.
In my story and world building, I explained it as him being enslaved by Orcus and essentially being restricted to the role of mid-level minion within a larger power structure. The vulnerability of his phylactery being kind of a punishment to remind him of his low status and general disposability to his masters (rather, that is the explanation waiting for the players to discover if they decide to Legend Lore it at some point)
>>
>>93735885
Conan hides all the time and he's good at it, but mostly in wild environments, his hiding skills in urban environments are more just common sense and steady footing. I can't remember which story but I'm thinking of the one where he was on the losing side of a fight and had to hide in a swamp for a few days, then the enemy commander strayed too far into the swamp because his rape-toy had escaped and he was chasing her down, conan jumps out of the reeds cackling like a madman because he's so happy that he gets to kill the enemy commander.
>18 cha
>18 int
>average dexterity
Christ, mate, have you read ANY of them?
>>
>>93736106
thats why I put Stealth skill among the 8. Point being, he is ok in it but he is not like some exceptional ninja. just decent and judicial about it.
not getting your other issue with my ability score estimates
>>
>>93733926
that's not RAW retard, you have to play in the setting as written
>>
>>93735478
this, except the magus should be erased and the wizard should instead get better saves and armor and passive feats to simply increase the dc, to-hit and damage of spells of specific types
>>
>>93735478
This shit is indeed sick. A Thaumaturge with lots of scrolls is arguably a better Magus.
>>
>>93735478
I think Magus lost a lot when it became the Spellstrike class in 2e. People zeroed in on Shocking Grasp spam as the be all end all, but what often fell by the wayside is that Spell Combat was an extremely powerful feature that allowed you to cast whatever you wanted while also making a (granted, a TWF-debuffed) full attack. Having the utility of casting buffs, control, or support spells, or dumping an AoE on a group of lesser enemies, while still putting out damage against a focus target, made Magus extremely versatile.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.